How to get default values to parameters of class object member methods [incr tcl]

Hello again,

Thanks to all for helping fix my simple blunder.  Now I've got another
one and I'm not sure if there is a resolution.  I've tried a few
different things, but nothing seems to be working.  As well all know,
if a proc is to have a default value for a parameter, it's defined
something like this:

proc someproc { { param = foo } } {
    # doing lots of important stuff
}

Well, I've tried something similar in my classes but the interpreter
is always complaining about "too many fields in argument specifier " i
= 234 "".  This was with something like:

class integers {
   variable int

   constructor { i } {
      set int $i
   }

   method SetInt { { i = 234 } } {
      set int $i
   }
}

Is it possible to have methods with default values to their parameters
in class methods?

Andy

0
af300wsm (135)

Andrew Falanga wrote:
> Thanks to all for helping fix my simple blunder.  Now I've got
> another
> one and I'm not sure if there is a resolution.  I've tried a few
> different things, but nothing seems to be working.  As well all
> know, if a proc is to have a default value for a parameter, it's
> defined something like this:
>
> proc someproc { { param = foo } } {
>     # doing lots of important stuff
> }

Something like that, but not exactly. It should be:

proc someproc { { param foo } } {
    # doing lots of important stuff
}

And that will work for itcl methods as well.

Schelte.
--
set Reply-To [string map {nospam schelte} $header(From)]
0
On Jun 29, 1:14 pm, Schelte Bron <nos...@wanadoo.nl> wrote:
> Andrew Falanga wrote:
> > Thanks to all for helping fix my simple blunder.  Now I've got
> > another
> > one and I'm not sure if there is a resolution.  I've tried a few
> > different things, but nothing seems to be working.  As well all
> > know, if a proc is to have a default value for a parameter, it's
> > defined something like this:
>
> > proc someproc { { param = foo } } {
> >     # doing lots of important stuff
> > }
>
> Something like that, but not exactly. It should be:
>
> proc someproc { { param foo } } {
>     # doing lots of important stuff
>
> }
>
> And that will work for itcl methods as well.
>
> Schelte.
> --
> set Reply-To [string map {nospam schelte} $header(From)]

Thanks.  I'm hitting my head against my desk now and thinking I should
probably log off my computer and head home for the weekend while I
still have some dignity.  I don't know what I was thinking when I
wrote this message.  I knew that the syntax isn't:

proc someproc { { param = foo } } {
    # stuff here
}

but

proc someproc { { param foo } } {
    # stuff here
}

I really think I should pack it in for the weekend.

Andy

0
af300wsm (135)

Set and Get methods for value class objects
Hi Folks I am trying to use a similar construct for value class objects, similar to that of handle class objects. I want to set an object set(a,'Prop1',prop1,'Prop2',prop2) But cannot seem to do it in this way with value objects. Is this correct? The only way I have found to work is when I go a.Prop1=prop1 a.Prop2=prop2 Is there a way I can use the same syntax as the handle class? Regards "Etienne" <etienne.coetzee@airbus.com> wrote in message news:hllstg$29u$1@fred.mathworks.com... > Hi Folks > > I am trying to use a similar construct for val...

YouTube Playlist: Tcl/Tk Object Oriented Programming Using Itcl (incr Tcl) Lessons
Hi. Like I promised you hours ago.. The playlist in English : https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLsAEIIjTPIo_1qeuc-rYwk0nxWAM38Dl_ The same playlist in Arabic : https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLsAEIIjTPIo_91kA-iUz_5XGNmHzivHBG Enjoy! On Saturday, January 17, 2015 at 4:04:21 PM UTC+2, Rani Ahmad wrote: > Hi. > > Like I promised you hours ago.. > > The playlist in English : > > https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLsAEIIjTPIo_1qeuc-rYwk0nxWAM38Dl_ > > The same playlist in Arabic : > > https://www.youtube.com/playli...

While executing the class definition which object is referenced by the first argument of the class method, Y r Object attributes not allowed as default arguments
>>> class Test(object): .... def __init__(self): .... self.a= 2 .... def func(self, k = self.a): .... print k .... Traceback (most recent call last): File "<stdin>", line 1, in ? File "<stdin>", line 4, in Test NameError: name 'self' is not defined >>> In the 'definition of the class', what would the first argument 'self' in the methods evaluate to; when we have an object defined, it is bound to the object reference, but what happens while the class definition is executed, which I bel...

A simple TCL script to get Class and method names in a list from a java source code
Hi I wanted a TCL script to get Class and Method names in a list or tree from a java source code. I am confused as to how I should start writing this code. agni wrote: > Hi I wanted a TCL script to get Class and Method names in a list or > tree from a java source code. I am confused as to how I should start > writing this code. Is this a homework assignment? If you have the source code (only) then it is a case of reading the file and then looking for things that look like class and method declarations. See docs for the [open], [read], [regexp], and [string] commands. If you have the compiled .class files then you can also use the TclJava package (http://tcljava.sourceforge.net/) and Java's reflection capabilities to get a list of all classes and methods. -- Neil ...

Debugger for Tcl/Tk and [incr Tcl]

Class Member Data and Member Function Parameters
Hello: First, if this is one of those "questions asked a million times" just say so and I'll dig a little deeper. If not, then... I'm curious, is it typical to use member data (properties, attributes, etc.) as parameters to the class's member functions or would you normally have parameters that are not data members of the class? Or is it normally a combination, just depending on circumstances? Did I make sense? If anyone knows of any books that talk about this, I'd appreciate a title, etc. I guess I'm asking which is the better design. Example: Is it bett...

Getting member variable value from an object within another object
This is more of a programming style issue than an actual problem... Let's say I have a class titled DataLine, which in addition to other members contains an instance of class DecimalTime called dTime and a method: public DecimalTime returnDecimalTime(){ return this.dTime; } The DecimalTime -class has a member variable time (double). It also has the metod double tellTime(){ return this.time; } When I've created an instance of DataLine called, say, line1, is it OK to do something like: double newtime = line1.returnDecimalTime().tellTime(); ? And what will become of the copy(?) of dTime used for this after the operation is complete? (Will it lay about using up memory or be deleted?) -- -Aki "Sus" Laukkanen "Aki \"Sus\" Laukkanen" <aki.laukkanenREMOVETHIS@helsinki.fi> wrote in message news:<cb8jpc$bgg$1@oravannahka.helsinki.fi>... > This is more of a programming style issue than an actual problem... > Let's say I have a class titled DataLine, which in addition to other > members contains an instance of class DecimalTime called dTime and a method: > > public DecimalTime returnDecimalTime(){ > return this.dTime; > } A word of advice: by convention this would be named getDecimalTime(). Although it won't make your code work any better, it helps other Java programmers if you stick to recognised patterns. > The DecimalTime -class has a member variable time (double). It also has &...

Incr Tcl /Tk for Tcl 8.4

Tcl+incr Tcl debuggers to use on command line?
Hi, Does anyone know of incr Tcl supported debuggers that work on command line? That is, without needing bundling with IDEs? Thanks On 10/11/14, 9:46 PM, kenneth.bull@gmail.com wrote: > Hi, > > Does anyone know of incr Tcl supported debuggers that work on command line? > That is, without needing bundling with IDEs? Well, the debugger in ActiveState's TDK does not need a bundled IDE and it works with [incr Tcl] -- but it is a GUI application not a command line one. -- +------------------------------------------------------------------------+ | Gerald W. L...

find methods in Incr Tcl
I'm creating a help system for my first incr tcl script. To do this I need to get a list of objects and the associated methods and args. The first part was easy - "find objects". Now I need to "find" the methods and args. (The actual script I am writing is accessing a database, so that's why I'm creating those singleton objects. It's just an example I made up to keep the question simple). Question - Best way to get the methods/args? --- class Farm_table { method help {} {} } class Pig_table { method oink {} {} method squeal {duration amplitude} {} } Farm_table farm Pig_table pig --- Now, I would like to get this result: % farm help pig oink pig squeal duration amplitude farm help Leon Starr wrote: > I'm creating a help system for my first incr tcl script. To do this I > need to get a list of objects and the associated methods and args. > The first part was easy - "find objects". Now I need to "find" the > methods and args. > (The actual script I am writing is accessing a database, so that's why > I'm creating those singleton objects. It's just an example I made up > to keep the question simple). > Question - Best way to get the methods/args? > --- > class Farm_table { > method help {} {} > } > class Pig_table { > method oink {} {} > method squeal {duration amplitude} {} > } > > Farm_table farm > Pig_table pig &...

how to get tcl-httpd running on winxp with active tcl?
or websh or rivet frustrated rivet wants apache 1.3, which has no windows doewnload anymore websh not work with windows so I guess tcl-httpd? I want to try some tcl web builnin''... help gavino schrieb: > or websh > or rivet > > frustrated > > rivet wants apache 1.3, which has no windows doewnload anymore > websh not work with windows > so I guess tcl-httpd? > I want to try some tcl web builnin''... > Tclhttp or Wub are options..., or getting Tcl cgi running under IIS or any other webserver. What kind of things do you want to play with? Michael gavino wrote: > or websh > or rivet > > frustrated > > rivet wants apache 1.3, which has no windows doewnload anymore > websh not work with windows > so I guess tcl-httpd? > I want to try some tcl web builnin''... > > help > http://wiki.tcl.tk/15722 The above leads you to a single file executable that is tclhttpd. I think it's impossible to make it any easier than that :-) -- Bryan Oakley http://www.tclscripting.com gavino wrote: > or websh > or rivet > > frustrated > > rivet wants apache 1.3, which has no windows doewnload anymore > websh not work with windows > so I guess tcl-httpd? > I want to try some tcl web builnin''... If you have ActiveState Tcl installed, then unzip the tclhttpd 3.5.1 somewhere and double click on ...\tclhttpd3.5.1\bin\httpd.tcl If you have been attempting ...

Tcl (Itcl) and default parameters/arguments
Hi. I'm working in Itcl, and I'm wondering if this is possible: itcl::class x { public variable y; public method a { {p1 $y} } { puts "Value is: $p1" } } That is - can I use a VARIABLE as the default value? If so, what am I doing wrong? Right now, I get: % source x.tcl % x y y % y configure -y 3 % y a Value is: $y % Obviously, I'd like to get: % y a Value is: 3 Any comments? I've searched the Itcl and Tcl docs + wiki, with no "this is impossible" or "this can be done using method xyz". I suspect it's NOT possible, bu...

dynamic object names in incr tcl
Is there a way to auto-generate object names when they are instantiated in incr tcl? Thanks. chedderslam wrote: > Is there a way to auto-generate object names when they are > instantiated in incr tcl? Yes, use the string #auto as the name (or part of the name) and Itcl will replace it with a unique string. See the Itcl documentation for the class command. (I know comp.lang.tcl is quick, but reading the docs is generally even quicker). -- Neil On Jun 24, 9:32=A0am, Neil Madden <n...@cs.nott.ac.uk> wrote: > chedderslam wrote: > > Is there a way to auto-generate object names when they are > > instantiated in incr tcl? > > Yes, use the string #auto as the name (or part of the name) and Itcl > will replace it with a unique string. See the Itcl documentation for the > class command. (I know comp.lang.tcl is quick, but reading the docs is > generally even quicker). > > -- Neil Thanks, Neil. I looked through the class docs under incr tcl at http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/docs/ActiveTcl/8.5/itcl/class.n.html and didn't see it. Now that I know what I am searching for, I got zero results from the search for "#auto" at the active tcl online docs under ActiveTcl 8.5. Am I looking at the wrong docs? Is there a better place to look up stuff? I would like to be more independent and be able to find things on my own, but I just haven't had much luck with the docs. chedderslam wrote: > On Jun 24, 9:32 am, Neil ...

When do default parameters get their values set?
I ran into an issue setting variables from a GUI module that imports a back end module. My approach was wrong obviously but what is the best way to set values in a back end module. #module name beTest.py cfg = { 'def' : 'blue'} def printDef(argT = cfg['def']): print argT #module name feTest import beTest beTest.cfg['def'] = "no red" beTest.printDef() This prints blue. I suppose because I am changing a local copy of cfg dictionary. What is the write approach here? Thanks Bill On 2014-12-08 14:10, bSneddon wr...

Object as a member to object/class
Hi, I'm plainly too stupid for the following: I would like to have an object as a member to a second class. I.e. I have something like this: PRO MODBUS__DEFINE struct = { MODBUS, Host:"hasgkssccdkal.desy.de", Port:502, tid:0L } END and, later on, PRO GKSSBC__DEFINE struct = { GKSSBC, Con:Obj_New(), addr:'4020'XL, Factor:1.0, Steps:200, Micro:6 } END Now, I would _like_ to do something like FUNCTION GKSSBC::INIT, addr = addr, factor = factor, con = con IF KEYWORD_SET(addr) THEN self.Addr = addr ELSE self.Addr = '4020'...

Getting parameters from the get method
Hello, I am pretty rusty with javascript and I am trying to make a webpage that will basically act as a wrapper from one webpage to another. What I mean by this is that I will hit this page like: webpage.htm?Param1=... and I will take the passed params and post them to another page. I have the post part working, but I was just wondering how I can use just Javascript and read those values passed to this webpage. Is this even possible? Thanks for all of your time. Matt "Matt" wrote > Hello, > > I am pretty rusty with javascript and I am trying to make a webpage > ...

mojolicious and realtime web, events getting thier do? does tcl do this ? when tcl be epoll based?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRWzhJDyHB8 ...

Beginner q: class namespaces in incr tcl
Hi I started coding in Tcl a week ago and I've started with Incr Tcl because there is some existing code in tcl that I need to leverage. In the following code I have these questions 1. Why does calling "baz Baz" in method prntString() cause a new call to the baz constructor? 2. I want to get the modified string "Modified" printed out when i call f prntString , but I get a "can't read "Baz": no such variable" when executing return $Baz' error. Please let me know what I'm missing and/or alternately some resource I should read up regarding this. Thanks in advance package require Tclx package require Itcl namespace import itcl::* class foo { constructor {} { bar bar1 } method prntString {} { #bar1 GetBaz puts [[bar1 GetBaz] returnString] } private variable bar1 } class bar { constructor {} { puts "FRom bar constructor" baz Baz } method GetBaz {} { baz modify return $Baz } private variable Baz } class baz { constructor {} { puts "Welcome to Baz" set string1 "Constructor" } method modify {} { set string1 "Modified" puts "From baz: $string1" } method returnString {} { return $string1 } private variable string1 } foo f f prntString Ok, I identified a typo, here is the modified code with the question Why isn...

Advice in wrapping tcl objects in C++ classes...
Dear all, I have written a small specialised database, which stores information in tcl objects. But since it is a little ackward to use it from the C level (due to reference increments/decreaments that must be done), I want to wrap these objects in C++ classes, so to be easier to use, with constructors & destructors taking care of reference counting. However, I still haven't found a good way to wrap functions that return new objects. Imagine for example that you have a class that wraps a tcl list object, which is wrapped as a set: myset setObj ... ; // assume that holds a tcl list o...

Web resources about - How to get default values to parameters of class object member methods [incr tcl] - comp.lang.tcl

Google / Firefox Parameter - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
HS what? www.seroundtable.com/archives/017105.html

Alternatives to boolean parameters