how to get newline with gets?

Hello. I like the -nonewline option of puts, and wonder why there isn't
a counter option in gets?

The reason I need it is effectively I am doing this:

  set line [gets -withnewline stdin]

  if {[lindex $line end] eq "\r" } { # do something }
  if {[lindex $line end] eq "\n" } { # do something different }

I guess without such an option I have to read byte-by-byte to achieve
this, right?

Thanks.

On 5/11/11 1:21 PM, =E5=90=95=E9=9F=A6=E7=94=AB wrote:
> Hello. I like the -nonewline option of puts, and wonder why there isn't=
> counter option in gets?
>
> The reason I need it is effectively I am doing this:
>
> set line [gets -withnewline stdin]
>
> if {[lindex $line end] eq "\r" } { # do something }
> if {[lindex $line end] eq "\n" } { # do something different }
>
> I guess without such an option I have to read byte-by-byte to achieve t=
his,
> right?

You could just do the gets and check the line termination configuration w=
ith=20
fconfigure.

Why does it matter?

--=20
+------------------------------------------------------------------------=
+

+------------------------------------------------------------------------=
+

On 05/12/2011 02:27 AM, Gerald W. Lester wrote:

> You could just do the gets and check the line termination configuration
> with fconfigure.

I have to fconfigure EOL to be (\r)|(\n) because both means line
termination in my case.

> Why does it matter?

I am writing script on Unix to capture output of a command and put it on
the UI. If output is terminated by \r, it is progress information and
should update previous line instead of adding new lines. This behavior
is frequently used in case like oggdec(1). Such application report
progress so frequently that if I add progress info one after another, it
exhaust maximize storage of any UI widget pretty soon.
吕韦甫 wrote:
> On 05/12/2011 02:27 AM, Gerald W. Lester wrote:
>

>> You could just do the gets and check the line termination configuration
>> with fconfigure.
>

> I have to fconfigure EOL to be (\r)|(\n) because both means line
> termination in my case.
>

>> Why does it matter?
>

> I am writing script on Unix to capture output of a command and put it on
> the UI. If output is terminated by \r, it is progress information and
> should update previous line instead of adding new lines. This behavior
> is frequently used in case like oggdec(1). Such application report
> progress so frequently that if I add progress info one after another, it
> exhaust maximize storage of any UI widget pretty soon.

force -translation on input to 'cr'.
check for  'lf' at start of next line of input ?
  ( to determine to use a new line or overwrite the current one ).

uwe
0
uwe6118 (423)
5/12/2011 3:58:14 PM
On 12 mai, 17:58, Uwe Klein <u...@klein-habertwedt.de> wrote:
> =E5=90=95=E9=9F=A6=E7=94=AB wrote:
> > On 05/12/2011 02:27 AM, Gerald W. Lester wrote:
>
> >> You could just do the gets and check the line termination configuratio=
> >> with fconfigure.
>
> > I have to fconfigure EOL to be (\r)|(\n) because both means line
> > termination in my case.
>
> >> Why does it matter?
>
> > I am writing script on Unix to capture output of a command and put it o=
> > the UI. If output is terminated by \r, it is progress information and
> > should update previous line instead of adding new lines. This behavior
> > is frequently used in case like oggdec(1). Such application report
> > progress so frequently that if I add progress info one after another, i=
> > exhaust maximize storage of any UI widget pretty soon.
>
> force -translation on input to 'cr'.
> check for =C2=A0'lf' at start of next line of input ?
> =C2=A0 ( to determine to use a new line or overwrite the current one ).

Afraid the OP is facing alternatively "foo\r" and "bar\n"  (not "baz\r
\n").

So indeed, [gets] doesn't provide a good solution for this specific
problem, and as he suggested, he's bound to use [fileevent]+
[nonblocking read]+[regexp {^[^\r\n]*[\r\n]}].

-Alex
On 5/12/2011 11:13 AM, Alexandre Ferrieux wrote:
> On 12 mai, 17:58, Uwe Klein<u...@klein-habertwedt.de>  wrote:
>> 吕韦甫 wrote:

>>> I have to fconfigure EOL to be (\r)|(\n) because both means line
>>> termination in my case.

>>> I am writing script on Unix to capture output of a command and put it on
>>> the UI. If output is terminated by \r, it is progress information and
>>> should update previous line instead of adding new lines. This behavior
>>> is frequently used in case like oggdec(1). Such application report
>>> progress so frequently that if I add progress info one after another, it
>>> exhaust maximize storage of any UI widget pretty soon.
>>
>> force -translation on input to 'cr'.
>> check for  'lf' at start of next line of input ?
>>    ( to determine to use a new line or overwrite the current one ).
>
> Afraid the OP is facing alternatively "foo\r" and "bar\n"  (not "baz\r
> \n").
>
> So indeed, [gets] doesn't provide a good solution for this specific
> problem, and as he suggested, he's bound to use [fileevent]+
> [nonblocking read]+[regexp {^[^\r\n]*[\r\n]}].
>
> -Alex

or avoid the hassle, let gets do the work to get line by line, and
use another pattern to determine if is is a "progress" message or not

Bruce

On May 12, 9:08=C2=A0pm, Bruce <Bruce_do_not_...@example.com> wrote:
> On 5/12/2011 11:13 AM, Alexandre Ferrieux wrote:

> >> force -translation on input to 'cr'.
> >> check for =C2=A0'lf' at start of next line of input ?
> >> =C2=A0 =C2=A0( to determine to use a new line or overwrite the current=
 one ).

> > Afraid the OP is facing alternatively "foo\r" and "bar\n" =C2=A0(not "b=
az\r
> > \n").
>
> > So indeed, [gets] doesn't provide a good solution for this specific
> > problem, and as he suggested, he's bound to use [fileevent]+
> > [nonblocking read]+[regexp {^[^\r\n]*[\r\n]}].
>
> > -Alex
>
> or avoid the hassle, let gets do the work to get line by line, and
> use another pattern to determine if is is a "progress" message or not

That won't work: assume the following chunks happen one second apart:

       \r01
       \r02
       \r03
       \r04
       \r05
       \r06
       \nHey\n

This is typical of an app both displaying an updated counter (with \r
for in-place overwrite) and logs (with \n for scrolling and perennial
display).

-Alex

On 05/13/2011 03:44 AM, Alexandre Ferrieux wrote:

> That won't work: assume the following chunks happen one second apart:
>
>        \r01
>        \r02
>        \r03
>        \r04
>        \r05
>        \r06
>        \nHey\n

True.

From a utilitarian view, system call 'gets' can be improved.

Quote from gets(3tcl):

 If varName is omitted the line is returned as the result  of  the  com‐
 mand.

 If varName is specified then the line is placed in the variable
 by that name and the return value is a count of the number  of  charac‐
 ters returned.

Would be better with:

 If varName is specified then the line is placed in the variable
 by that name and the return value is the end-of-line character, and
 false if nothing is returned.

Although such improvement is impossible for compatibility. Unless it is
talked about when it was designed several decades ago.

What really matters is the "last" new-line character, not the current
one, but it's easy to do so in the control logic using gets, not
necessary to implement it in gets.

I wish to see if I have time to write a small replacement gets proc.

0
Khufu
5/13/2011 2:41:52 AM
On May 13, 3:41=C2=A0am, Khufu <kh...@139.com> wrote:
> From a utilitarian view, system call 'gets' can be improved.
>
> Quote from gets(3tcl):
>
> =C2=A0If varName is omitted the line is returned as the result of the com=
=E2=80=90
> =C2=A0mand.
>
> =C2=A0If varName is specified then the line is placed in the variable
> =C2=A0by that name and the return value is a count of the number of chara=
c=E2=80=90
> =C2=A0ters returned.
>
> Would be better with:
>
> =C2=A0If varName is specified then the line is placed in the variable
> =C2=A0by that name and the return value is the end-of-line character, and
> =C2=A0false if nothing is returned.

Quite apart from the somewhat confused wording, I'm not convinced that
the use case (acting as a terminal) is suited for [gets] in the first
place. Use [read] instead, consuming one character at a time with the
channel's -translation option set to 'lf' instead of 'auto'. As a plus
side, it will then be possible to handle other terminal-like behaviors
(such as partial line writes....)

> Although such improvement is impossible for compatibility. Unless it is
> talked about when it was designed several decades ago.

What you're after is a very unusual thing; so far as I know, you're
the first person to ask for this in around 20 years or so of Tcl. As
such, there is some onus upon you to justify your request.

> What really matters is the "last" new-line character, not the current
> one, but it's easy to do so in the control logic using gets, not
> necessary to implement it in gets.
>
> I wish to see if I have time to write a small replacement gets proc.

It's quite a lot harder than it looks (the I/O logic is non-trivial).
A simpler proposal would involve making the last processed end-of-line
sequence available for inspection via [fconfigure]. That would be much
simpler to implement correctly, and backward-compatible too. Even
though you've yet to convince me of the use case in the first
place. :-)

Donal.
On 5/12/2011 9:41 PM, Khufu wrote:
> On 05/13/2011 03:44 AM, Alexandre Ferrieux wrote:

> Would be better with:
>
>   If varName is specified then the line is placed in the variable
>   by that name and the return value is the end-of-line character, and
>   false if nothing is returned.

"Would be better" is  patently wrong.

Would be better for one very rare edge case is more correct.

the number of characters read is far more useful more often (imho).

Bruce
On May 13, 7:40=A0pm, Bruce <Bruce_do_not_...@example.com> wrote:
> On 5/12/2011 9:41 PM, Khufu wrote:
>
> > On 05/13/2011 03:44 AM, Alexandre Ferrieux wrote:

No, I didn't. But copypasta glitches are to be expected on Friday 13
ths :)

-Alex

gets gets
I'm a little surprised at this. In irb, I tried puts gets gets. Why? I don't know. but basically, gets gets, seems to almost act like a heredoc! myString = gets gets puts myString On Mar 26, 2007, at 3:17 AM, John Joyce wrote: > I'm a little surprised at this. > In irb, I tried puts gets gets. > Why? I don't know. > but basically, gets gets, seems to almost act like a heredoc! > myString = gets gets > puts myString It's not surprising at all. First, let's insert the parentheses so we can see it as Ruby does: puts(gets(gets())) Now we see th...

difference between chan gets / gets
Hi ! What difference between command chan gets and gets, chan puts and puts ? Many thanks ! serge_darin@mail.ru <serge_darin@mail.ru> wrote: > What difference between command chan gets and gets, chan puts and > puts ? They are supposed to be the same. puts is here for compatibility (and for those too lazy to write those extra 5 chars, like me), whereas chan is an attempt to have related functionality together in a single command. If you're old to tcl, you'll likely be used to top-level "puts", whereas if you're new to tcl, you're more likely to memorize only "chan" and then find "puts" as a subcommand of it. kind of... ...

Get paid while you get online!!
I found a great Internet company - Cashfiesta.com - that has created a product everyone can benefit from. They pay you while you work or play on your computer. All you need to do is keep their software - the FiestaBar=99 - active while you are online. They even pay you when your friends are using their computers. Unlike other companies, Cashfiesta gives you control over how much money you earn. They have an individual payrate based on the number of Special Offers you sign up for. As some of these offers are free, you can increase your payrate up to 33 times without spending a penny. It's free and easy to join and your privacy is completely protected. Here is the link, enjoy and happy money making. http://www.cashfiesta.com/php/join.php?ref=3Dmutant_rabbi ...

get we get a fire started?
Hey all slow here these days....... A simple question for the gurus.........can I get hypervoxels to show up behind a transparent object? for example......bubbles inside a glass....shot from outside the glass........or are you forced to render the hypervoxels first and then overlay the glass later? I am stuck still using LW8.5 all thoughts welcome....just to get some discussion going hope everyone is well cheers Matthew ...

Get a Linux. Get a Mint!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aufL76bXLAg ...

Getting parameters from the get method
Hello, I am pretty rusty with javascript and I am trying to make a webpage that will basically act as a wrapper from one webpage to another. What I mean by this is that I will hit this page like: webpage.htm?Param1=... and I will take the passed params and post them to another page. I have the post part working, but I was just wondering how I can use just Javascript and read those values passed to this webpage. Is this even possible? Thanks for all of your time. Matt "Matt" wrote > Hello, > > I am pretty rusty with javascript and I am trying to make a webpage > ...

GET, GET# and end of files
This is something I tripped over yesterday. Many of my BASIC programs have the following structure: 10 open source and target files 100 clear buffer contents 200 input from a source file, process and store data in the buffer The above step is repeated while space in the buffer is available 300 output data to a target file when the buffer is full. continue at lines 100 to 300 until all data in the source file has been processed. 400 endjob processing when an end of the source file is detected. Most programmers begin line 200 with code that looks like 200 GET#4, iolist : S=ST : ... The value of ST is determined by whether the end of the source file has has been reached. The hints & tricks column in a RUN special issue suggests adding the following commands to line 100 100 POKE781,4 : SYS65478 Changing line 200 to 200 GET iolist : S=ST : ... And adding a SYS65484 prior to any ouput in line 300. The reasons for these changes are not important for this message thread. Attempts to read beyond the end of the source file with GET replaces the values in the iolist with carriage returns (ASCII value 13). When a GET# is used, attempts to read beyond the end of file do not replace the values in the items in the iolist. "Paul Rosenzweig" <r_u_sure@mybluelight.com> wrote in message news:dda6e12f.0310291849.701f73e9@posting.google.com... > Attempts to read beyond the end of the source file with GET ...

Get the ball boy get it Goblin aka Saint Sloblin get the ball boy!
<smile> On Mon, 12 Dec 2011 16:52:03 -0500, Big Steel wrote: > <smile> He's too fat to be a ball boy. He can't even see his own feet let alone the ball on the basketball or tennis court. On 12/12/2011 5:36 PM, Frank The Wank wrote: > On Mon, 12 Dec 2011 16:52:03 -0500, Big Steel wrote: > >> <smile> > > He's too fat to be a ball boy. > He can't even see his own feet let alone the ball on the basketball > or tennis court. He's the grounds keeper a lawn-boy. ...

Get
I have this: @content = split(/\n/, get "http://my.domain.com/acc/ip.cgi"); Which pulls data from cgi script once every few minutes. Is there an easy way to convert to pulling data from a local file in the same directory? M M wrote: > I have this: > > @content = split(/\n/, get "http://my.domain.com/acc/ip.cgi"); > > Which pulls data from cgi script once every few minutes. Is there an easy > way to convert to pulling data from a local file in the same directory? Just open the file for reading, and read it in. See: perldoc -f open perldoc -f read...

get-next-request and get-request
What is the real difference between the two commands ? What will be used when ? With the sniffer, it looks exactly the same. In article <3ff1bea6$1@news.barak.net.il>, Yoram Orzach <yoram@n-d-com.com> wrote: >What is the real difference between the two commands ? > >What will be used when ? > >With the sniffer, it looks exactly the same. The get-request will only match exactly the OID specified in the request. It will fail of no such OID exists on the target. The get-next-request will return the OID that is the "next" OID in the &quo...

How Do I get Notified when the JFrame Gets Resized?
What do I have to do to be notified when the JFrame my JPanel is in gets resized? Like if somebody clicks on the corner and drags it so that I have a new width and new height, or if somebody clicks on the button that makes the JFrame take up the whole screen? Kevin S On 20-11-2010 12:58, KevinSimonson wrote: > What do I have to do to be notified when the JFrame my JPanel is in > gets resized? Like if somebody clicks on the corner and drags it so > that I have a new width and new height, or if somebody clicks on the > button that makes the JFrame take up the whole scre...

[News] Apt-Get Gets a Challenge
Aptitude vs Apt-Get ,----[ Quote ] | Aptitude is just superior to apt-get in every way, shape, and form. Better | dependency handling. Better curses application. Better options. ONE tool. | Better stdout formatting. The list goes on and on. I see constantly, on | forums, IRC and email, the use of apt-get. We need to better educate our | brethren and sisters about the proper use of tools, and show them the | enlightened way of aptitude. I’ve been using aptitude since I first learned | about it, ad will continue to do so the remainder of my Debian/Ubuntu days. `---- http://www.pthr...

Clipper GET different than xHarbour GET
A client has pointed out a difference in the way Clipper handles a get with "@S" picture clause vs. xHarbour. Consider the following code snippet: func main local cData := "12345678901234567890" local cNext := " " clea @ 1,0 get cData pict "@S10" @ 2,0 get cNext read return During execution, if you move the cursor to the right in the first field beyond the first 10 characters so that it scrolls right and then press enter to position to the 2nd get field, the first field retains its display position in xHarbour, whereas in t...

Get paid while you get online!! #2

Get get include pages to work...
Greetings, I have the following: require_once($_SERVER["DOCUMENT_ROOT"]."/virtuals/doc-root.php4"); I also have several more include and include once that pull various sections into my main page. I am trying to get this working on a local machine for testing purposes. I have (windwos) Apache and PHP set up on my machine and have written several test pages to confirm things are working. When I perform an echo of the Document_root and global_root I get the following: server doc root: C:/Dewaynewww/TrentonWeb/Apache2/htdocs global doc root: Anyone have any ideas why I can&...

Get a Kaffeine playlist, and get owned
http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/122241/104/ "A remote attacker could entice a user to play a specially-crafted RAM playlist resulting in the execution of arbitrary code with the permissions of the user running the application." DFS wrote: > http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/122241/104/ > > "A remote attacker could entice a user to play a specially-crafted RAM > playlist resulting in the execution of arbitrary code with the > permissions of the user running the application." "Resolution ========== All Kaffeine users should upgrad...

Get This!
Four (4) people I personally know purchased Photoshop Elements and they LOVE it!!!! I STILL don't personally know anyone that uses or even heard of Paint Shop Pro! :-) Uni Kiri wrote: > Good for them. But maybe YOU should get out more! Four isn't enough!!!!??? :-) You need more backbone and knowledge in this group!!! :-) This group IS the Weakest Link! :-) Come on, Kiri. Be a man for once in your life and drop the kiddy software like a bad habit! :-) Uni > > Kiri > > > "Uni" <no.email@no.email.invalid> schreef in bericht > news:...

Getting error while getting Google plus posts
Hi, I am using the following code to get the Google Plus posts, import com.google.api.client.googleapis.auth.oauth2.GoogleCredential; import com.google.api.client.http.HttpTransport; import com.google.api.client.http.javanet.NetHttpTransport; import com.google.api.client.json.JsonFactory; import com.google.api.client.json.gson.GsonFactory; import com.google.api.client.json.jackson.JacksonFactory; import com.google.api.services.plus.Plus; import com.google.api.services.plus.PlusScopes; import com.google.api.services.plus.model.Activity; import com.google.common.base.Preconditions; import com.google.common.io.Files; import java.io.File; import java.io.FileInputStream; import java.io.IOException; import java.net.URI; import java.nio.charset.Charset; import java.security.PrivateKey; import java.text.*; import java.util.Properties; import redegg.redcals.update.View; public class Test { /** E-mail address of the service account. */ private static final String SERVICE_ACCOUNT_EMAIL = "801283043278- ek42r1e5ulsvdremass1huh7rtcq16lp.apps.googleusercontent.com"; /** Global instance of the HTTP transport. */ private static final HttpTransport HTTP_TRANSPORT = new NetHttpTransport(); /** Global instance of the JSON factory. */ private static final JsonFactory JSON_FACTORY = new JacksonFactory(); private static Plus plus; public static void main(String[] args) { try { try { GoogleCrede...

What do you get when...
What do you get when you cross a Team Fortress 2 clone with an attempt at MOBA characters? Pretty much a Team Fortress 2 clone. Why not just play Team Fortress 2? That is all. :) -- -v ...

how to get an IO object for the response from an HTTP get?
Hi, I'd like to get an IO object instead of a string for the response of an HTTP get. I am using the Net/HTTP library but it seems to only want to give me a string. I have a situation where the response can be quite large and do not want the whole response to have to be in memory. Is it possible to get an IO object for the response without putting the whole response in memory? thanks, Tim On 7/27/06, Tim Olsen <tolsen718@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi, > > I'd like to get an IO object instead of a string for the response of > an HTTP get. I am using the Net/HTTP libra...

How can i get get the process list (Windows)
Hello, i found the "Get Task List.vi" but this only shows me the applications. Is there something similar which shows me also the processes? (What i&nbsp; want to do is killing a process. I�m using the function "EndTask" from user32.dll which works fine for killing opened applications. The current problem is to get the handle of a process.) Thx Message Edited by NewOne on 09-15-2005 08:14 AMMessage Edited by NewOne on 09-15-2005 08:14 AM Maybe you could use an API or dll from this program. <a href="http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/debugging/whatsnew.m...

How do we get there from here?
You've all heard the one about the farm worker who was once asked for directions... he replied, "Well if I was you, I would'nt start from here". If you weren't by now committed to a particular path for web development and deployment and could start with a clean slate... and wanted to cater for *any* web-server and *any* browser... would you go for xForms? or RAILS? or AJAX? or... what? Mike. michael@preece.net wrote: > You've all heard the one about the farm worker who was once asked for > directions... he replied, "Well if I was you, I would'nt start from > here". > > If you weren't by now committed to a particular path for web > development and deployment and could start with a clean slate... and > wanted to cater for *any* web-server and *any* browser... would you go > for xForms? or RAILS? or AJAX? or... what? > > Mike. You hit me where I'm living right now. I did considerable research of the reading variety and less of the hands-on variety, looking at xforms and ruby on rails (you can do php "on rails" ish now too) as well as Java with struts and Java Server Faces and plenty of others. I have not settled on the server side as yet (coming down to PHP & Java, I've eliminated Ruby and Python for now), but on the front end, I'm jumping into AJAX (and Web 2.0) and not looking back. I did a talk on AJAX at a conference a couple of weeks a...

problem to get data from a form (method=get)
i am using redhat8 with default php installed, the problem i am facing is that: #test.php <?php echo $test_value; ?> localhost/test.php?test_value=abc whatever values i try, php can't get my values passed by get or direct url passing. do you have any ideas about that problem? thanks :) On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 02:57:11 +1000, linux newbie <linux_newbie_idiot@yahoo.com> wrote: >i am using redhat8 with default php installed, the problem i am facing >is that: > >#test.php ><?php > echo $test_value; >?> > >localhost/test.php?test_value=a...

Am I getting through?
My news reader is only downloading about 20 messages a week from comp.lang.vrml..... Can someone please reply to this if it gets posted, I want to see if there is a problem with my news server... Regards EK Here is a reply. If you have problems reading news search for another newsserver: http://www.newzbot.com/search.php?q=comp.lang.vrml Or use Google for reading and posting (but has a day relay for reading): http://groups.google.de/groups?hl=de&lr=&ie=UTF-8&group=comp.lang.vrml ::VRMLsuck::Bart http://www.neeneenee.de/vrml/ http://www.neeneenee.de/vrml/f...

Web resources about - how to get newline with gets? - comp.lang.tcl

Newline - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In computing , a newline , also known as a line ending , end of line ( EOL ), or line break , is a special character or sequence of characters ...

Twitter Help Center - Twitter for Android Release Notes
Twitter is without a doubt the best way to share and discover what is happening right now.

Hypertext Transfer Protocol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
HTTP is the foundation of data communication for the World Wide Web . Hypertext is a multi-linear set of objects, building a network by using ...

mass:werk termlib
var term = new Terminal( {handler: termHandler} ); term.open(); function termHandler() { this.newLine(); var line = this.lineBuffer; if (line ...

Rogers Reports Strong Third Quarter 2007 Financial and Operating Results
Consolidated Revenue Grows 13% to $2.6 Billion, Operating Profit (as adjusted) Increases 23% to $984 Million, and Net Income Increases 75% to ...

Arduino - ReleaseNotes
ARDUINO 1.0.1 - 2012.05.21[environment]* The IDE has been internationalized and translated into multiple languages. Thanks to Shigeru Kanemoto ...

Hixie's Natural Log
... problems, as shown above, like it will collapse significant whitespace (the bit in the attributes) but not insignificant whitespace (the newlines). ...

Company - 0xDA
Newline Software, Inc.

Price Drop: USB Disk & File Transfer
... PowerPoint, txt, Numbers, Pages, c, h, ... ★ Text Editor that Supports over 30 different text encodings, encoding auto-detect included, newline ...

Installing and configuring Graphite
... lines.append("system.loadavg_15min %s %d" % (loadavg[2],now) message = '\n'.join(lines) + '\n' #all lines must end in a newline print "sending ...