Is tcl exec function supported under Mac OS X?

I've always read in the documentation about tcl at
http://www.tcl.tk/man/tcl8.3/TclCmd/contents.htm
that exec (as well as pipes) are not implemented
for Mac OS platforms.
I was recently trying tclsh under Darwin and to
my surprise exec calls seemed to work. Could someone
please confirm whether exec is supported in the new
tcl/tk Aqua packages maintained by sourceforge at
http://tcltkaqua.sourceforge.net/

/
Karl
0
k_dal2 (29)

Karl D wrote:
> I've always read in the documentation about tcl at
> http://www.tcl.tk/man/tcl8.3/TclCmd/contents.htm
> that exec (as well as pipes) are not implemented
> for Mac OS platforms.
> I was recently trying tclsh under Darwin and to
> my surprise exec calls seemed to work. Could someone
> please confirm whether exec is supported in the new
> tcl/tk Aqua packages maintained by sourceforge at
> http://tcltkaqua.sourceforge.net/

exec works fine on OS X, not on Mac Classic.

--
     Jeff Hobbs, The Tcl Guy
     http://www.ActiveState.com/, a division of Sophos
Jeff Hobbs <jeffh@removethis.activestate.com> wrote in message news:<4169FBB7.6080502@removethis.activestate.com>...
> Karl D wrote:
> > I've always read in the documentation about tcl at
> > http://www.tcl.tk/man/tcl8.3/TclCmd/contents.htm
> > that exec (as well as pipes) are not implemented
> > for Mac OS platforms.
> > I was recently trying tclsh under Darwin and to
> > my surprise exec calls seemed to work. Could someone
> > please confirm whether exec is supported in the new
> > tcl/tk Aqua packages maintained by sourceforge at
> > http://tcltkaqua.sourceforge.net/
>
> exec works fine on OS X, not on Mac Classic.

Thanks for your confirmation. That makes it significantly
easier to port tcl application from Linux/Unix to Mac.
Now, I can finally look for a new Mac.
/
Karl
0
k_dal2 (29)

TCL/TK Does not have serial port support API in Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger in a mac mini
Over the last couple of weeks I have been trying to figure out why I had no communications with a USB > Serial converter and tonight I discovered that there is no serial port support in the TCL/TK installed in MAC OS X 10.4 Mac mini. % fconfigure stdin -blocking 1 -buffering line -buffersize 4096 -encoding utf-8 -eofchar {} -translation auto I went to the Mac install on the CD-ROMs and found nothing on tcl/tk. What should I use to remove the old TCL/TK packages and install a better version? I found the aqua site tcl site and should I just install that full package binary and make the ch...

Anyone knows of a Tcl port to Palm Os 5.x ? ( palm-tcl no longer supported )
Hi Guys, Is therea tcl port to the current Plam OS ? I believe palm-tcl is no longer supported :( Regards, Sean - HeliHobby.com According to <born2net@sbcglobal.net>: :Hi Guys, :Is therea tcl port to the current Plam OS ? :I believe palm-tcl is no longer supported :( Which one of these palm tcls do you mean? What: Palm Tcl Where: <URL: http://palm-tcl.sf.net/ > <URL: http://home.earthlink.net/%7Eashoknadkarni/ > Description: Port of most of Tcl 7.6 to PalmOS. Includes support for PalmOS features such as user interface elements (title bars, menus, labels, text fields, lists, buttons of various types, checkboxes, selector triggers, popup triggers, time/date selectors, tables), database support (creation, deletion, update, listing), system functions (sound, clipboard, launching apps, system event handling), etc. Currently at version 0.4 . Updated: 01/2002 Contact: <URL: mailto:palmtcl@yahoo.com > What: PalmTcl Where: <URL: http://www.patentburner.com/%7Eovercode/PalmTcl-test.tar.gz > ??? <URL: http://sf.net/projects/palmtcl/ > Description: Port of Tcl to PalmOS. Updated: 05/2001 Contact: <URL: mailto:overcode@cc.gatech.edu > (John R. Hall) What: Toucan Where: <URL: http://sf.net/projects/toucan/ > <URL: http://home.attbi.com/%7Emaccody/ > Description: Integrated development environment for developing Palm Tcl applications on the desktop. The idea is that you develop the applications on the d...

Tcl/Tk on Mac OS X

Mac OS 9.x included in Mac OS X?
Hi, I read that Mac OS X has a so-called classic mode which emulates Mac OS 9.x so that older applications can still be run. Provided one is not an upgrader from Mac OS 9.x, does Mac OS X include Mac OS 9.x required for the classic mode or does it have to be bought separately? Peter >Provided one is not an upgrader from Mac OS 9.x, does Mac OS X include >Mac OS 9.x required for the classic mode or does it have to be bought >separately? If you buy the installer for OS X it *does not* include OS 9. You generally use the copy of OS 9 that came with your computer in order to install C...

Mac OS X & Mac OS X Server
Hi, I'm currently using a 9i developer release on Mac OS X (10.3) which has proved very stable so far. My understanding of the various Oracle press releases is that 10G will be released for Mac OS X, are there any beta testers out there wiling to comment on availabilitu/quality/performance issues for 10G on Mac OS X? Another question is whether tools such as the OEM will be available in 10G for Mac OS X, does anybody know? Yours in anticipation! Steve Steve <steve@nospam.com> wrote in message news:<2004013008345616807%steve@nospamcom>... > releases is that 10G wil...

Tcl 8.5.2 version conflict on Mac OS X
Hi, I just tried to compile 8.5.2 on Mac OSX, and install it. Below is the error I get when I try to start tclsh8.5. [set tcl_patchLevel] shows also that it would be 8.5.1. What is up here, do others have the same problem? I should add that I installed ActiveTcl 8.5.2 before, and it worked. But normally it should not be a problem to overwrite this installation with another, self compiled. I have done this before without any problems... Thanks in advance Eckhard. $ /usr/local/bin/tclsh8.5 application-specific initialization failed: Can't find a usable init.tcl in the following directories: /Library/Frameworks/Tcl.framework/Versions/8.5/Resources/Scripts /usr/local/lib/tcl8.5 /usr/lib/tcl8.5 /usr/local/library /usr/library /usr/tcl8.5.1/library /tcl8.5.1/library /Library/Frameworks/Tcl.framework/Versions/8.5/Resources/Scripts/init.tcl: version conflict for package "Tcl": have 8.5.1, need exactly 8.5.2 version conflict for package "Tcl": have 8.5.1, need exactly 8.5.2 while executing "package require -exact Tcl 8.5.2" (file "/Library/Frameworks/Tcl.framework/Versions/8.5/Resources/Scripts/init.tcl" line 20) invoked from within "source /Library/Frameworks/Tcl.framework/Versions/8.5/Resources/Scripts/init.tcl" ("uplevel" body line 1) invoked from within "uplevel #0 [list source $tclfile]" /usr/local/lib/tcl8.5/init.tcl: version conflict for package "Tcl&...

Hi. Someone told me that Mac OS X 10.7.x and 10.8.x do not come with iLife like the older Mac OS X versions (e.g., 10.5.x). I did not know this! Since my client uses iPhoto that came preinstalled on his old 2008 MacBook Pro's Mac OS X 10.5.x (10.5.8 right now), can he use the old one from 10.5.8? Or will he need a third party replacement (needs to import/copy the old image files) or buy a new iPhoto version for his photo(graph)s? I recalled he did not like iPhoto and wonder if the new one is any better. Thank you in advance. :) -- Quote of the Week: "Every ruler sleeps on an anthill." --Afghani /\___/\ Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site) / /\ /\ \ Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net | |o o| | \ _ / Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail. If crediting, ( ) then please kindly use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link. On 2012-09-21 3:05 PM ANTant@zimage.com (Ant) wrote: > Hi. > > Someone told me that Mac OS X 10.7.x and 10.8.x do not come with iLife > like the older Mac OS X versions (e.g., 10.5.x). I did not know this! > Since my client uses iPhoto that came preinstalled on his old 2008 > MacBook Pro's Mac OS X 10.5.x (10.5.8 right now), can he use the old one > from 10.5.8? Or will he need a third party replacement (needs to > import/copy the old image files) or buy a new iPhoto version for his > photo(graph)s? I rec...

Shortcut to start a TCL Program in Mac OS X Intel 10.4?
Is there method to start tcl/tk programs from the desktop in Mac OS X? I tried associating tcl with wish and wish starts but the script deos not load or start automatically. Keith wrote: > Is there method to start tcl/tk programs from the desktop in Mac OS X? > I tried associating tcl with wish and wish starts but the script deos > not load or start automatically. Try Daniel Steffen's "launcher" utility: http://www.maths.mq.edu.au/~steffen/tcltk/Launcher/ -- Kevin Walzer Code by Kevin http://www.codebykevin.com At 2007-01-03 07:24AM, "Keith" wrote: > Is there method to start tcl/tk programs from the desktop in Mac OS X? > I tried associating tcl with wish and wish starts but the script deos > not load or start automatically. You want the Launcher: http://www.maths.mq.edu.au/~steffen/tcltk/Launcher/ -- Glenn Jackman Ulterior Designer ...

Ann: Tcl/Tk "Universal" packages for Mac OS X
I've packaged "universal" installers of Tcl/Tk for Mac OS X (both the Aqua and X11 variants), and the Tile theming extension, for use on Mac OS X's PPC and Intel architectures. These builds are based on Tcl/Tk 8.4.13. Downloads and more information can be found at http://tk-components.sourceforge.net/installer/ Thanks. -- Kevin Walzer Poetic Code http://www.kevin-walzer.com ...

Your Mac won't start up in Mac OS X (Mac OS X 10.3.9 or earlier)
Your Mac won't start up in Mac OS X (Mac OS X 10.3.9 or earlier) Nothing can be more frustrating than turning on your Mac only to find that it won't start up. Instead of seeing the Finder, you see a blue or gray screen, an icon of a broken folder, a kernel panic, a flashing question mark, or a computer that just sits there. What can you do? Don't worry. It could be a simple issue that you can fix yourself. Note: This article applies to Mac OS X 10.3.9 or earlier. Tip: If your computer won't start at all, skip to "You see a blank, gray screen" below. The first step to help your Mac start up again is to identify which symptom you see. Once you know what the symptom is, you can try to fix it. Here's a list of the most common things you might see if your Mac turns on but doesn't start up. Click the link for the symptom you see, then follow the steps to fix it. You see an empty, blue screen. You might also see a progress indicator, which looks like a colored pinwheel or spinning disc. A "broken folder" icon, a prohibitory sign, or "kernel panic" message appears. Sam Walker Apple Specialist You see a blank, gray screen. A flashing question mark appears. None of the above happens, but your Mac doesn't start up. You see an empty, blue screen. You might also see a progress indicator, which looks like a colored pinwheel or spinning disc There are several different things you can try to fix this symptom. Go through eac...

Strange Problem with ActiveState Tcl 8.4 in MAC OS X 10.4
http://home.comcast.net/~kilowattradio/tcltkmac_osx1.jpg http://home.comcast.net/~kilowattradio/tcltkmac_osx2.jpg In Mac OS X 10.4.11 I am having a problem with ActiveTCl's 8.4 graying out certain .TCL files when I try to select a source file when running wish in the GUI. Please see the links above to see the grayed out file names. I am trying to load bcd396t.tcl source file but that is grayed out. I have tried changing the first few lines of the file that had some bash scripting in them. And translated the text from mac to unix and even tried windows code with the same results. It seems to occur after I edit a .tcl file and save it. The other normal tcl files that I can select have not been edited. If I run the bcd396t.tcl file from /usr/local/bin/wish bcd396t.tcl it works fine and there are no errors. I don't have any problems in Win32 XP/Vista or Linux Fedora/Ubuntu either. I just can't figure out what is graying out the file on Mac OS X. Does anyone have any ideas? -- Best Regards, Keith kilowattradio at gmail.com Keith wrote: > http://home.comcast.net/~kilowattradio/tcltkmac_osx1.jpg > http://home.comcast.net/~kilowattradio/tcltkmac_osx2.jpg > > In Mac OS X 10.4.11 I am having a problem with ActiveTCl's > 8.4 graying out certain .TCL files when I try to select > a source file when running wish in the GUI. > > Please see the links above to see the grayed out file names. > > I am trying to load bcd396...

Ruby 1.8.0 and Mac OS X and Tcl/Tk 8.4 Aqua (not!)
My trials with Ruby and Tcl/Tk on Mac OS X Ruby is 1.8.0 preview 7 Tcl/Tk 8.4 is the recent TclTk-Aqua build for that native OSX Aqua look Mac OS X is 10.2.3 (1) 'configure' wasn't finding Tcl/Tk, so I hacked up an OSX-only version of ext/tcltklib/extconf.rb with hard-coded parameters (which might be OK because of the frameworks) ========= # extconf.rb for tcltklib # HACKED for Mac OS X !!! require 'mkmf' if RUBY_PLATFORM !~ /mswin32|mingw|cygwin|bccwin32/ have_library("nsl", "t_open") have_library("socket&q...

Web resources about - Is tcl exec function supported under Mac OS X? - comp.lang.tcl

List of Linux supported architectures - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Facebook Audience Network Available to More Brands; Link Ads Now Supported
... it announced at its F8 global developer conference in San Francisco April 30, and the social network also announced that link ads are now supported. ...

Facebook’s cover feed coming as an option to Home-supported Android devices
... latest update for Android devices will borrow from a notable feature within Facebook Home . Starting today, Android users with Home-supported ...

Heat Index Lite - Ad Supported on the App Store on iTunes
Get Heat Index Lite - Ad Supported on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Ukraine: Atrocities committed by the US-Supported Ukrainian National Guard
We bring to the attention of Global Research Readers a video on the atrocities committed in Eastern Ukraine. The mainstream media is silent on ...

Thousands grieve for murdered Syrian imam who supported Assad
As with so many of the shadowy deaths in Syria since the uprising began, there will be no independent, credible and thorough investigation into ...

Kevin Rudd supported Peter Garrett's handling of insulation program, royal commission hears
Former Prime Minister Kevin Rudd supported then Environment Minister Peter Garrett's handling of the home insulation program during the period ...

Adele publicly supported Kesha during her BRIT Awards speech
Kesha is in a legal battle with producer Dr....

BoQ supported on Investec buy
Bank of Queensland has won strong support for its $440m acquisition of most of Investec’s Australian business.

Attacks on the public service are not supported by the facts
Attacks on the public service are not supported by the facts