is tcl going to use epoll or kqueue anytime soon for its event loop?

I saw 2010 google summer of code someone did it... I am pretty sure select syscall is still used.
0
gavcomedy (1608)

On 28/02/2012 20:31, gavino wrote:
> I saw 2010 google summer of code someone did it... I am pretty sure
> select syscall is still used.

It's awkward because it is legal to have multiple threads waiting on the
same file descriptor. That makes managing the event distribution rather
awkward (it doesn't work if you put the same FD in the wait set twice).

Doubly annoying is that there's a bug in the kqueue implementation on
this machine that makes it not work for terminals. :-(

Donal.

when will tcl use epoll or kqueue for the event loop/??
node vs tcl/wub! On 12/03/2014 09:19 AM, johannes falcone wrote: > node vs tcl/wub! What defects in Tcl_SetNotifier() are standing in the way? -- | Don Porter Applied and Computational Mathematics Division | | donald.porter@nist.gov Information Technology Laboratory | | http://math.nist.gov/~DPorter/ NIST | |______________________________________________________________________| On Wednesday, December 3, 2014 2:19:08 PM UTC, johannes falcone wrote: > node vs tcl/wub! http://widgetsandshit.com/teddziuba/2008/04/im...

unanswered: will tcl use kqueue epoll as event loop in future?

Will tcl 9 use epoll or kqueue for tcl?
curious http://luvit.io/ also check this out for web stuff done in lua but perhaps tcl can steal nice ideas On Wednesday, January 2, 2013 3:22:02 PM UTC-8, gavino_himself wrote: > curious > > > > http://luvit.io/ also check this out for web stuff done in lua but perhaps tcl can steal nice ideas cherokee uses them so gota be ast for events and cherokee outperforms nginx ...

libev for epoll kqueue event loop for tcl maybe leverage google soc wgere student added?
http://freecode.com/projects/libev ...

adding events to tcl queue, or using variables and traces (C and TCL)
I'm writing simple testing framework for embedded application. The application is written on C language and runs on microchip PIC microcontroller normally. To test application I made the following: * hardware depended code was picked out from main source and written to separate source files (module_hal.c for example); * two build mode for program: for microchip PIC, using *_hal.c files dealing with real hardware, or for PC, where *_hal.c files contain hardware simulation code and bindings to TCL-commands. Then program was build for PC, I can using TCL commands change input signal states for simulated hardware, for example, or view output signal states. But I need some method to call tcl callback procedure when output signal changes state. I see two methods to achieve this: * map signal state to variable, and then use 'trace' command to bind tcl-scripts to state change events; * add new events to tcl event queue, as described here: http://wiki.tcl.tk/17195 Which method can be more preferable and why? In case if signal state changes too fast, and if I use variable trace, my callback will be called on every state change -- I think it is serious drawback of first method. With second method I can add only one event to queue, and add second only if first event is processed. But as I see, second method requires more complex code in C (now I wrote this code and see it as serious drawback too). May be exists some other methods to call tcl-callbacks on even...

mojolicious and realtime web, events getting thier do? does tcl do this ? when tcl be epoll based?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRWzhJDyHB8 ...

when will tcl use epoll / kqueue for awesome performance?
curious? then tcl webserver vs node.js and aolserver be interesting! ...

event loop is non blocking web power of perls mojolicious old hat for tcl? epoll?

Tcl event loop and threading
Because Tcl is my primary programming language, I've absorbed the Tcl community's "best practices" approach toward using threading my programs--i.e, that the Tcl event loop makes threading unnecessary in most instances. None of my Tcl programs use threads, but instead use pipes, open, fileevent, and after to keep a GUI responsive during a long operation. This approach seems to work quite well. As I delve into other languages, such as Python, I'm struck by how much threading is assumed to be an integral part of any GUI program. All the code samples/"best prac...

Tcl+incr Tcl debuggers to use on command line?
Hi, Does anyone know of incr Tcl supported debuggers that work on command line? That is, without needing bundling with IDEs? Thanks On 10/11/14, 9:46 PM, kenneth.bull@gmail.com wrote: > Hi, > > Does anyone know of incr Tcl supported debuggers that work on command line? > That is, without needing bundling with IDEs? Well, the debugger in ActiveState's TDK does not need a bundled IDE and it works with [incr Tcl] -- but it is a GUI application not a command line one. -- +------------------------------------------------------------------------+ | Gerald W. L...

tcl event loop question
I am launching wish from another application (Cadence Virtuoso). There is = some kind of blocking that is happening. Symptoms: I cannot interact with any widgets, i.e. I can't press a button but... I can interact with the window, i.e. I can resize it and the window gets re= freshed. Here's my wish script (yes that's the entire script): button .b -text "Exit" -command exit pack .b In a more complex test script I was able to send Tcl commands from Virtuoso= (Virtuoso sending on stdout, Tcl reading stdin), and eval this command to = trigger sending a command back to Virtuoso (Tcl sending stdout, Virtuoso re= ading stdin). So the wish application is not hung! But I still can't inte= ract with any widgets I put up on the GUI. If anybody has any ideas please send them along, thanks much! Am Dienstag, 17. September 2013 23:15:32 UTC+2 schrieb kbercaw: > I am launching wish from another application (Cadence Virtuoso). There i= s some kind of blocking that is happening. >=20 >=20 >=20 > Symptoms: >=20 > I cannot interact with any widgets, i.e. I can't press a button but... >=20 > I can interact with the window, i.e. I can resize it and the window gets = refreshed. >=20 >=20 >=20 > Here's my wish script (yes that's the entire script): >=20 > button .b -text "Exit" -command exit >=20 > pack .b >=20 >=20 >=20 > In a more comple...

libevent for the tcl event loop?
http://libevent.org/ memcached uses this ...

what exactly is event loop in Tcl ?
1) If its an infinite loop, how come the inifinite loop does not hang the machine when run ? 2) If it uses sleep statements before each invocation of the loop, isn't there any chance of missing events ? call_me_anything wrote: > 1) If its an infinite loop, how come the inifinite loop does not hang > the machine when run ? Welcome to multitasking! It *does* hang the machine when run - you have to explicitly interrupt it by telling the operating system to exit. ;-) More seriously, an infinite loop that reads and processed input each time through the loop isn't a "hang&q...

This is an announcement for a relatively new Tcl project: tcl-mmap Tcl-mmap is a Tcl interface to the POSIX mmap* system call. It provides a Tcl package that allows Tcl scripts to: 1) Memory map files for improved access efficiency; 2) Share memory between related processes; 3) Easily implement cyclic persistent log files. * See the mmap(2) man page. Platform: Linux/Unix Home page: http://sourceforge.net/projects/tcl-mmap/ Man page: http://tcl-mmap.sourceforge.net/ Author: Alexandros Stergiakis On Sep 3, 11:48=A0am, Alexandros Stergiakis <alst...@gmail.com> wrote: > This is an ...

Why can execution results in tcl shell differ than if using tcl script??
Hi, I have been posting a thread here: http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/browse_thread/thread/983d7ef3e4b1ab54# I have another question that might be related to it, I'm doing set of tcl commands (involving external shell commands execution) one time in tcl shell, and the other from a tcl script.. Although both command sequences are the same, I get quite different results!!! Why did this happens?? Thanks, Ahmad Ahmad wrote: > Hi, > > I have been posting a thread here: > http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/browse_thread/thread/983d7ef3e4b1ab54# > > I have another question that might be related to it, I'm doing set of > tcl commands (involving external shell commands execution) one time in > tcl shell, and the other from a tcl script.. > > Although both command sequences are the same, I get quite different > results!!! Why did this happens?? > > Thanks, > Ahmad The interactive Tcl shell has access to external functionality that a running script doesn't. That's done to make the interactive environment easier to work with. What, specifically, is the command sequence you're issuing in both cases? Jeff Hi Jeff, Thank you for your reply. I've a tcl script that finally creates a certain script, that is when I run from shell using "calibredrv -gui <certainRunScript>" from command line it do exactly what I expect. I have tried two scenarios of trials, and only one of...

Question about Tcl event loop/Tcl_EventQueue and friends
Background: in my TWAPI extension, I call back the application to notify it of certain events, such as hotkeys, file changes, service control events etc. Depending on the source of the notification, the trigger may be in the same thread as the interpreter or a different thread. The notification is therefore implemented through the use of Tcl_AsyncMark in my system handler for the event. Then when the Tcl event loop calls back into my AsyncProc, I call Tcl_QueueEvent. It's only when Tcl calls my event handler, I actually do the Tcl_Eval of a script to notify the application. This all seems to work well but I had the following questions - Do I really need to do a Tcl_QueueEvent from my AsyncProc or can I directly do the Tcl_Eval in the asyncproc itself? The documentation seems to imply I could do that provided I am careful to save/restore the existing interp result but I'm still nervous. Note that asyncproc may get passed a NULL interp, but I actually stash away the interp that had originally made the notification request and would invoke that, not what was passed into asyncproc. In any case the question is, am I unnecessarily adding a layer of Tcl_QueueEvent/handle event ? More important, I now want to add the capability for the callback script to return a value to be passed to the system. For example, when a request to remove CD-ROM media is sent by the system, I want the application to be able to allow/deny the request. What currently happens is that when the appl...

YouTube Playlist: Tcl/Tk Object Oriented Programming Using Itcl (incr Tcl) Lessons
Hi. Like I promised you hours ago.. The playlist in English : https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLsAEIIjTPIo_1qeuc-rYwk0nxWAM38Dl_ The same playlist in Arabic : https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLsAEIIjTPIo_91kA-iUz_5XGNmHzivHBG Enjoy! On Saturday, January 17, 2015 at 4:04:21 PM UTC+2, Rani Ahmad wrote: > Hi. > > Like I promised you hours ago.. > > The playlist in English : > > https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLsAEIIjTPIo_1qeuc-rYwk0nxWAM38Dl_ > > The same playlist in Arabic : > > https://www.youtube.com/playli...

Multithreaded C++ and Tk GUI: Tcl Event Loop
Hi all, I write a GUI to control a NTServcie. I want to communicte with that NTServcie via TCP/IP. For that purpose I wrote an extension to do all the TCP communication in a worker thread. I pass all messages to a thread-safe send queue. The worker thread pulls out a message from the "send queue" and does the TCP communication. The results of this communication is passed in a thread-safe "receive queue" and Tcl_AsyncMarc()is called. In the AsyncHandlerProc() then generate an Event and queue it to the Tcl-Event-Loop. This works fine so far, but after I have processe...

POLL: Does anybody has a successfull integration into the TCL event-loop ?
Hi, I still have problems with TCL and event loop integration and using TCL Thread extension. Every-Time If I thing I solve a problem an other problem start ... For example calls to: Tcl_WaitForEvent(TCL_ALL_EVENTS|TCL_DONT_WAIT) or Tcl_ServiceAll() block forever or even timer events like: proc Sleep {} { set ::AID [after 300 Sleep] incr ::COUNT } are !not! updated by Tcl_ServiceAll() .... If I read the TCL documentation like man Tcl_DoOneEvent man n thread man Tcl_ServiceAll I'm flood by mystic definitions together with ~20 C-Functions with a lot of option variants for me I just want to have a function that I can call from a C-extension to process TCL events like the timer event from above or to update a GUI to have a non blocking behavior and !!!come!!! back if everthing has done Now my question: does anybody using TCL together with a C extension using an external event-loop and is able to use the TCL events in different interpreters created by thread::create to process timer events happen in different interpreters (this is just one example) from my point of view it is an design error in TCL using one TCL event-loop try to serve different interp running in different threads for me a question comes up if TCL is thread safe at all if the event loop does not work proper .. every answer is welcome ... On Feb 28, 4:51=A0...

when will tcl interpreter move to usign epoll kqueue?
I saw google summer code project did it. When will it become part of stable tcl? On Jul 11, 11:15=A0am, gavino <gavcom...@gmail.com> wrote: > I saw google summer code project did it. =A0When will it =A0become part o= f > stable tcl? anyone? is this in the cards? I am sure wub wibble guys would love it as it makes thier serve ron par with nginx and lighttpd etc, but cherokee would still perhaps be even better since it does some magic to allow 8 core to be all userd by 1 cherokee unlike the other 2 that are stuck on 1 cpu. That might change but sofar I think nginx is still one per cpu. On Jul 11, 7:15=A0pm, gavino <gavcom...@gmail.com> wrote: > I saw google summer code project did it. =A0When will it =A0become part o= f > stable tcl? It's very challenging to write notifier engines (the code that maps a low level API like select() or poll() or ... to Tcl's internals) so the likelihood of anything happening is rather uncertain. The other big problem is that it is not always easy to work out the best API to use; e.g., MacOS X Leopard supports many APIs, but only select() works correctly on terminals as well as sockets. This was fixed on Snow Leopard, but it's not possible to automatically test for this sort of thing with a limited use of effort; it will have to be a configuration time selection. :-( On the plus side, contributions of effort would be welcomed. Donal. On Jul 15, 8:20=A0am, "Donal K. Fellows" <donal.k.fell.....

l'C program executing from a tcl script with pipe opened using open command in Tcl
Hi all, I wanted to communicate with a C program from a Tcl script.. The test code i have written is below Both the 'C' program and Tcl script are located in the same directory. The 'C' program is below. I have named it CTCL.C #include<stdio.h> #include<string.h> int main() { int i; char c[30]; printf("Reading..."); scanf("%s",c); printf("String read is :%s\n",c); fflush(stdout); return 0; } I have compiled the program with the command cc CTCL.C -o ctcl So the executable was generated with the name 'ctcl' The Tcl script...

Web resources about - is tcl going to use epoll or kqueue anytime soon for its event loop? - comp.lang.tcl

Windows Anytime Upgrade - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Windows Anytime Upgrade (WAU) was an upgrade method offered by Microsoft and selected licensed resellers to users who intended to upgrade their ...

Showtime Anytime for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store
Get Showtime Anytime on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Raw News Report Of Man Swallowed By Sinkhole - Presumed Dead - House To Collapse Anytime - YouTube
PLS subscribe for the best in news and entertainment...thanks for watching Raw News Report Of Man Swallowed By Sinkhole - Presumed Dead - House ...

Tim Armstrong: Michael Arrington Is Welcome Back Anytime
Business Insider Australia Tim Armstrong: Michael Arrington Is Welcome Back Anytime Business Insider Australia AOL CEO Tim Armstrong was interviewed ...

Style wins out over Paleo anytime
Without the yearning and the dreaming and even the domineering, protein is just plain boring.

Ross Lyon says his 'anywhere, anytime' Freo will be back to full strength for finals
Coach Ross Lyon expects almost everyone in his squad to be available for Fremantle's most anticipated launch of a finals series.

No MERS vaccine anytime soon
As scientists from Italy report having engineered a MERS virus that could be used in a vaccine, it's not clear if any company would produce such ...

GM won’t build small, affordable Chevy sports car anytime soon
It'll be a while before we see an affordable performance car from Chevrolet, but that doesn't mean it's completely out of the question

This Chart Shows Why House Prices In Toronto, Vancouver May Not Come Down Anytime Soon 27
Home sales in Vancouver soared by 40 per cent in November, compared to a year earlier. Prices for single-family homes in suburban Toronto jumped ...

New Technology Allows Families To Check On Babies In Hospital Anytime Day Or Night
New technology is allowing parents to be in touch with and view their babies whenever they want.