l'C program executing from a tcl script with pipe opened using open command in Tcl

Hi all,

I wanted to communicate with a C program from a Tcl script.. The test
code i have written is below
Both the 'C' program and Tcl script are located in the same directory.

The 'C' program is below. I have named it  CTCL.C

#include<stdio.h>
#include<string.h>
int main()
{
int i; char c[30];
printf("Reading...");
scanf("%s",c);
printf("String read is :%s\n",c);

fflush(stdout);
return 0;
}

I have compiled the program with the command
cc CTCL.C -o ctcl
So  the executable was generated with the name 'ctcl'

The Tcl script I have written is. I have named it TCLPIPETEST.tcl

#!/usr/add-on/exptools/bin/tclsh

set fd [open "|./ctcl" r+]
gets $fd tmp1
puts "tmp1 = $tmp1"
set stat 0
set tmp2 "Default value...  "
if { ![catch { puts $fd "abcdef" } res]} {
    if { ![catch { flush $fd } res] } {
          if { ![catch { gets $fd tmp2} res ] } {
               set stat 1
          } else { puts "Error 'gets' from pipe : $res" }
    } else { puts "Error 'flush' from pipe:$res " }
 } else { puts "Error 'puts' from pipe:$res " }

if { $stat == 1 } {
     puts "Success......:$tmp2 :)"
} else {
     puts "Failure......:$tmp2 :("
}

I have given all permissions for both the files above.
When i execute the  Tcl script
My aim is to open a pipe with the 'C' executable 'ctcl',
initially read some information from the pipe..which i have printed in
the c file...
write some information to the pipe so that the 'scanf in 'C' program
reads that information i wrote from the tcl script.

and print appropriate string back.
Now i wanted to read the string read back from the Tcl pipe using gets
function.

and print what i have read.

But what i observe is when i run the Tcl script nothing is happening..
I am not clear what is going wrong. Could anyone help me out.

Thanks in Advance
Ravi

0
rkanth.vvn (26)

Ravikanth wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I wanted to communicate with a C program from a Tcl script.. The test
> code i have written is below
> Both the 'C' program and Tcl script are located in the same directory.
>
> The 'C' program is below. I have named it  CTCL.C
>
> #include<stdio.h>
> #include<string.h>
> int main()
> {
> int i; char c[30];
> printf("Reading...");
> scanf("%s",c);
> printf("String read is :%s\n",c);
>
> fflush(stdout);
> return 0;
> }
>
> I have compiled the program with the command
> cc CTCL.C -o ctcl
> So  the executable was generated with the name 'ctcl'
>

> The Tcl script I have written is. I have named it TCLPIPETEST.tcl
>
> #!/usr/add-on/exptools/bin/tclsh
>
> set fd [open "|./ctcl" r+]
> gets $fd tmp1
> puts "tmp1 = $tmp1"
> set stat 0
> set tmp2 "Default value...  "
> if { ![catch { puts $fd "abcdef" } res]} {
>     if { ![catch { flush $fd } res] } {
>           if { ![catch { gets $fd tmp2} res ] } {
>                set stat 1
>           } else { puts "Error 'gets' from pipe : $res" }
>     } else { puts "Error 'flush' from pipe:$res " }
>  } else { puts "Error 'puts' from pipe:$res " }
>
> if { $stat == 1 } {
>      puts "Success......:$tmp2 :)"
> } else {
>      puts "Failure......:$tmp2 :("
> }
>

> I have given all permissions for both the files above.
> When i execute the  Tcl script
> My aim is to open a pipe with the 'C' executable 'ctcl',
> initially read some information from the pipe..which i have printed in
> the c file...
> write some information to the pipe so that the 'scanf in 'C' program
> reads that information i wrote from the tcl script.
>
> and print appropriate string back.
> Now i wanted to read the string read back from the Tcl pipe using gets
> function.
>
> and print what i have read.
>
> But what i observe is when i run the Tcl script nothing is happening..
> I am not clear what is going wrong. Could anyone help me out.

Gets in Tcl reads a line (one terminated with an end of line character).
Your C program is not putting out the EOL nor is it flushing the buffer.

So what is happening is that the Tcl is waiting to read, and the C is
waiting to read (with some stuff in its output buffer).

NOTE -- this is not a Tcl unique "problem", but would have happened if both
pieces were written in any language.

--
+--------------------------------+---------------------------------------+
| Gerald W. Lester                                                       |

Why can execution results in tcl shell differ than if using tcl script??
Hi, I have been posting a thread here: http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/browse_thread/thread/983d7ef3e4b1ab54# I have another question that might be related to it, I'm doing set of tcl commands (involving external shell commands execution) one time in tcl shell, and the other from a tcl script.. Although both command sequences are the same, I get quite different results!!! Why did this happens?? Thanks, Ahmad Ahmad wrote: > Hi, > > I have been posting a thread here: > http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/browse_thread/thread/983d7ef3e4b1ab54# > > I have another question that might be related to it, I'm doing set of > tcl commands (involving external shell commands execution) one time in > tcl shell, and the other from a tcl script.. > > Although both command sequences are the same, I get quite different > results!!! Why did this happens?? > > Thanks, > Ahmad The interactive Tcl shell has access to external functionality that a running script doesn't. That's done to make the interactive environment easier to work with. What, specifically, is the command sequence you're issuing in both cases? Jeff Hi Jeff, Thank you for your reply. I've a tcl script that finally creates a certain script, that is when I run from shell using "calibredrv -gui <certainRunScript>" from command line it do exactly what I expect. I have tried two scenarios of trials, and only one of...

tcl hangs on exit for multiple open calls from within same tcl script
Hi, I am looking to run a couple of processes in parallel. But a strange hang = occurs randomly. I am invoking two tcl commands using open in parallel. Now= after a while one of the process would just hang indefinitely which I am n= ot able to understand why. The issue is easily reproducible on win 2008 ser= ver and other multi core machines. Am I doing something wrongly? What is th= e best way to do this? To reproduce, you just have to create the files and run loop.bat. You shoul= d see the hang within 15-20 minutes. Following are the files I am using=20 ******** loop.bat ****** @echo off :loop tclsh 1.tcl goto loop ***************** Contents of file 1.tcl ***************** #!/bin/sh #DO NOT CHANGE THOSE 3 FIRST LINES \ exec tclsh $0 "$@" set status [catch { exec tclsh 2.tcl } outcmd] puts $outcmd exit 0 ******* Contents of file 2.tcl ***** #!/bin/sh #DO NOT CHANGE THOSE 3 FIRST LINES \ exec tclsh $0 "$@" set cmd1 "tclsh 6.tcl &" set cmd2 "tclsh 5.tcl &" set out1 "" set out2 "" proc isProcessDone { channel logText } { gets $channel currentline while {[eof $channel] =3D=3D 0} { set logText "$logText\n $currentline" gets $channel currentline } return $logText } puts "hi" set imChannel1 [open "| $cmd1"] puts "hi1 $imChannel1" set imChannel2 [open "| $cmd2"] puts...

Registration Open for 19th Annual Tcl/Tk Conference (Tcl'2012)
19th Annual Tcl/Tk Conference (Tcl'2012) http://www.tcl.tk/community/tcl2012/ November 12 - 16, 2012 Sessions: National Museum of Health and Medicine Chicago 175 W. Washington Chicago, IL 60602 Rooms: Holiday Inn Chicago Mart Plaza 350 West Mart Center Drive Chicago, Illinois, USA Map/Transport: https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=204739899073144451536.0004c144222a9036c99f6&msa=0&ll=41.885266,-87.633734&spn=0.008443,0.018818 http://wiki.tcl.tk/28843#pagetoca7e55932 I am pleased to announce that registration for the Conference is now open at http://www.tcl.tk/community/tcl2012/reg.html To book a room at the conference hotel at reduced rates please follow the instructions on that page. Note that the offer of reduced rates expires on October 20. Book early. Our schedule can be found at http://www.tcl.tk/community/tcl2012/schedule.html Conference Committee Clif Flynt Noumena Corp General Chair, Website Admin Andreas Kupries ActiveState Software Inc. Program Chair Cyndy Lilagan Nat. Museum of Health & Medicine, Chicago Site/Facilities Chair Arjen Markus Deltares Brian Griffin Mentor Graphics Donal Fellows University of Manchester Gerald Lester KnG Consulting, LLC Jeffrey Hobbs ActiveState Software Inc. Kevin Kenny GE Global Research Center Larry Virden Mike Doyle ...

using 'exec' to open a file in a web browser from tcl
hello i am trying to start up the epiphany web browser (gnu/linux) and pass it a file to open, from a tcl-script as follows: button .textframe.viewit -text "view" \ -command { .textframe.maintextbox mark set beginmark 1.0; set newchannel2 [open /home/daveleo/scratchview.html w+]; set stufftowrite [.textframe.maintextbox get 1.0 {end -1c} ]; puts $newchannel2 [.textframe.maintextbox get beginmark end]; close $newchannel2; exec epiphany $newchannel2 & } but here is what happens: the epiphany browser opens to my homepage (google on the ineternet), the term 'file6'...

[ANN] Registration open && 2nd Call For Papers
Hello comp.lang.tcl, fyi ... 22nd Annual Tcl/Tk Conference (Tcl'2015) http://www.tcl.tk/community/tcl2015/ October 19 - 23, 2015 Comfort Suites Manassas 7350 Williamson Blvd, 20109 Manassas, Virginia, USA Important Dates: [[ Attention! Registration is open! Please have a look at http://www.tcl.tk/community/tcl2015/register.html ]] Abstracts and proposals due August 24, 2015 Notification to authors August 31, 2015 WIP and BOF reservations open July 27, 2015 Author materials due September 28, 2015 Tutorials Start October 19, 2015 Co...

Tcl+incr Tcl debuggers to use on command line?
Hi, Does anyone know of incr Tcl supported debuggers that work on command line? That is, without needing bundling with IDEs? Thanks On 10/11/14, 9:46 PM, kenneth.bull@gmail.com wrote: > Hi, > > Does anyone know of incr Tcl supported debuggers that work on command line? > That is, without needing bundling with IDEs? Well, the debugger in ActiveState's TDK does not need a bundled IDE and it works with [incr Tcl] -- but it is a GUI application not a command line one. -- +------------------------------------------------------------------------+ | Gerald W. L...

Tcl Pipe Open
Hi , My tcl application follows three process model. Parent Process --- Tcl Pipe Open --- Child Process1 ------ Tcl Pipe Open --- Child Process2. 1) Parent Process is wish(GUI) process which will run the child process1 through tcl pipe open and trigger the stdin file event to capture the Child process 1 buffer and update in GUI text window (This is workig fine) 2) Child Process1 inturns call antother process Child Process2 though tcl pipe open. When i try to do this i am not able to capture its output. 3) If i use exec redirection for the ChildProcess2 its working,but i am able to read only after ChildProcess2 completes.This will not meet my application requirements.Because i want to update the buffer of child process2 in the parent process (GUI) 4) I think using the PIPE open in multilevel cause me this problem 5) Before this model instead of using Pipe Open i have used expect spawn. I will loop the Child Process2 and Child Process 3 creation logic to run continiously for four or five days which is working fine in linux but not in windows. Is there any way to capture the buffer of ChildProcess2 from the pipe open ? or Any other better approach ? Appreciate your response. Thankyou Ganesh M rayners_messanger@yahoo.co.in schrieb: > My tcl application follows three process model. > > ...

simulating a broken pipe scenario between a Tcl script and a C program
Hi all, I need to simulate a broken pipe scenario between a Tcl script and a 'C program.. For which i have written the following code C program 'ctcl.c' #include<stdio.h> #include<string.h> int main() { int i; char c[30],tmp[50];; printf("Reading...\n"); fflush(stdout); gets(c); sprintf(tmp,"kill -9 %d",getpid()); printf("Killing...."); system(tmp); printf("String written is :%s \n",c); fflush(stdout); return 0; } The Tcl Script is 'ctcl.tcl' #!/usr/add-on/exptools/bin/tclsh set fd [open "|./ctcl" r+] puts "......................." gets $fd tmp1 puts "#######################" puts "tmp1 = $tmp1" set stat 0 set tmp2 "Default value... " if { ![catch { puts $fd "This is test.." } res]} { if { ![catch { flush $fd } res] } { if { ![catch { gets $fd tmp2} res ] } { set stat 1 } else { puts "Error 'gets' from pipe : $res" } } else { puts "Error 'flush' from pipe:$res " } } else { puts "Error 'puts' from pipe:$res " } if { $stat == 1 } { puts "Success......:$tmp2 :)" } else { puts "Failure......:$tmp2 :(" } Both these scripts reside in the same directory. I have created an executable for 'C' program and then run the Tcl script from command line. o/p is as follows:- ........................ ####################...

adding events to tcl queue, or using variables and traces (C and TCL)
I'm writing simple testing framework for embedded application. The application is written on C language and runs on microchip PIC microcontroller normally. To test application I made the following: * hardware depended code was picked out from main source and written to separate source files (module_hal.c for example); * two build mode for program: for microchip PIC, using *_hal.c files dealing with real hardware, or for PC, where *_hal.c files contain hardware simulation code and bindings to TCL-commands. Then program was build for PC, I can using TCL commands change input signal states for simulated hardware, for example, or view output signal states. But I need some method to call tcl callback procedure when output signal changes state. I see two methods to achieve this: * map signal state to variable, and then use 'trace' command to bind tcl-scripts to state change events; * add new events to tcl event queue, as described here: http://wiki.tcl.tk/17195 Which method can be more preferable and why? In case if signal state changes too fast, and if I use variable trace, my callback will be called on every state change -- I think it is serious drawback of first method. With second method I can add only one event to queue, and add second only if first event is processed. But as I see, second method requires more complex code in C (now I wrote this code and see it as serious drawback too). May be exists some other methods to call tcl-callbacks on even...

How does the Tcl interpret handle results returned from C-created Tcl commands ?
I've ventured on creating a Tcl command trough a C routine. I've followed the manual guidelines. My C routine checks the validity of a selected option for the currently displayed histogram. Therefore it returns a Boolean value that, according to the C <-> Tcl communucation protocol, I have encoded as TCL_ERROR (= FALSE) and TCL_OK (TRUE). WHenthis command is called in a Tcl proc, the interpreter is supposed to perform two different actions according to the returned Boolean value. How can I fetch this returned Boolean result (TCL_ERROR/ TCL_OK) from the Tcl proc that executes the C-created command ? What if I wrote 1 (FALSE) or 0 (TRUE) in a string and have the C routine return this 1-character string ? Would it be easier to get the result of the teest from the caling TCL proc ? Please, find in the following the code that implements (according to my best resolution) the C-created command and the callind Tcl proc. Thank you, Maura ************************************************************************************************************* * C routine * ************************************************************************************************************* static int check_hist_aint_option_cb( ClientData clientData, Tcl_Interp *interp, int argc, char *argv[] ) { int i; if ( hg.active_ &...

TCL/TCL combined with Java/C/C++, Any Recommendations?
Hi, I have an application that I wrote in TCL/TK. It has to work with big files +5GB. The parsing performace is not where I would like and some of the data manipulations are taking considerable amount of time due to the data size. Therefore I am considering switching these parts of the code to Java, C or C++. While keepting the GUI and GUI supporting code in TCL/TK at this time. I am trying to figure out which language will be easier to merge with TCL in an application. For C I know that I can compile and generate a .so or .dll and create a TCL package and load it. I believe this is done with SWIG but I have not done it. In Java I saw some info on Jacl and TclBlend. The application will be "compiled" into a TCL "executable". I know I can compile my TCL code into Byte code to protect the IP. I am not sure about Java. Any recommendations or pointers will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Frank Frank <kranfg@gmail.com> writes: > Hi, > > I have an application that I wrote in TCL/TK. It has to work with big files +5GB. > > The parsing performace is not where I would like and some of the data manipulations are taking considerable amount of time due to the data size. > > Therefore I am considering switching these parts of the code to Java, C or C++. While keepting the GUI and GUI supporting code in TCL/TK at this time. > > I am trying to figure out which language will be easier to ...

Using "Open with" in windows to process a file with a tcl/tk scripts?
I have the following problem in windows 2000. I have written a TCL/TK script which process xml files. Now I will like to be able select the xml file using the windows file manager and use "open with" to startup the tcl/tk scripts and pass the xml file as argument. When I do this now I get an error telling that the xml file is not a valid win32 application. Any ideas of how to do this? Thanks in advance Hello, You should enter something similar to: c:\path\to\wish.exe "C:\path\to\xmleditor.tcl" "%1" Regards, -- Ramon Rib� http://gatxan.cimne.u...

Writing new tcl command using c or c++?
Can anyone help me to write new command that can be used in tcl shell using c or c++ code. Himanshu Gupta <himanshulkce@gmail.com> wrote: > Can anyone help me to write new command that can be used in tcl shell > using c or c++ code. Start here: http://wiki.tcl.tk/9849 and here: http://wiki.tcl.tk/21007, read these and then follow and read the links to the other pages from the above two. On Monday, 5 January 2015 14:12:44 UTC+5:30, Himanshu Gupta wrote: > Can anyone help me to write new command that can be used in tcl shell using c or c++ code. Thankyou... On M...

'C' executable not working from a Tcl shell
Hi all, I have a problem executing a c executable from Tcl shell.. Let me give you the code i have tested. I have saved the code below in ctcl.c #include<stdio.h> #include<string.h> void main() { int i; char c[30]; printf("Reading string...\n"); scanf("%s",c); printf("String read is :%s\n",c); } compiled it as below cc ctcl.c -o ctcl Now i tried to execute the 'ctcl' executable at the UNIX command line interface let me give you the screen shot of this. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------- /home/ravikanv/tmpfiles bash-3.1$ cc ctcl.c -o ctcl bash-3.1$ ./ctcl Reading string... test String read is :test bash-3.1$ bash-3.1$ bash-3.1$ tclsh % % % pwd /home/ravikanv/tmpfiles % ./ctcl Reading string... test String read is :test child process exited abnormally % % % ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Although I find no error in the program i have written when i am executing the script from Tcl shell i am getting the error "child process exited abnormally".. Please help me solving this problem. Thanks in advance Ravikanth On 10 jul, 12:13, Ravikanth <rkanth....@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi all, > > I have a problem executing a c executable from Tcl shell.. > Let me give you the code i have tested. > > I have saved the code below in ctcl.c > > #include<stdio.h> > #include<string.h> >...

comunicate tcl with c++ with open
Hello, I am trying to do that tcl talk to c++ and viceversa, but c++ is not reading anything, where is my mistake?? thanks, Tcl/Tk frame .toprow button .toprow.b -text Plot -command {putValue} -width 10 label .toprow.l -text Parameter: entry .toprow.e -textvariable parameter # # Arrange them in the main window (.) grid .toprow.l .toprow.e .toprow.b -padx 5 -sticky w grid .toprow # # Auxiliary procedures # proc putValue {} { global parameter global program puts "mando variable" puts $program $parameter flush $program ...

Tomcat 4.1.31 CGI servlet: the CGI (tcl script) can't open a socket
Anybody seen this before? I have a Tcl script CGI that I want to run under Tomcat that attempts to open a socket. When the "socket" command is executed, the response is "invalid argument". This all works fine under Unix, but on Windows Server 2003, it does not. I can manually invoke tclsh83 (TclPro1.4 from Active State) and perform socket commands all day. I can wrote a simple Java program that invokes the Tcl script just fine. This pretty much narrows it down to something Tomcat is doing, or some kind of Windows-Java-Tomcat interaction thing (I have no pretense of being ...

YouTube Playlist: Tcl/Tk Object Oriented Programming Using Itcl (incr Tcl) Lessons
Hi. Like I promised you hours ago.. The playlist in English : https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLsAEIIjTPIo_1qeuc-rYwk0nxWAM38Dl_ The same playlist in Arabic : https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLsAEIIjTPIo_91kA-iUz_5XGNmHzivHBG Enjoy! On Saturday, January 17, 2015 at 4:04:21 PM UTC+2, Rani Ahmad wrote: > Hi. > > Like I promised you hours ago.. > > The playlist in English : > > https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLsAEIIjTPIo_1qeuc-rYwk0nxWAM38Dl_ > > The same playlist in Arabic : > > https://www.youtube.com/playli...

How to get and display TCL error(s) thru 'C' program ??
Hi All, Consider the following "script.tcl": for {set x 0} {$x<10} {incr x} { puts "x is $x" } When on the TCL shell i say %source script.tcl The shell displays: wrong # args: should be "for start test next command" This is expected and correct. 1. Now when i give the same as char * array to 'Tcl_EvalEx' function in my C program, 'Tcl_EvalEx' returns error '1'; which is also correct. But after this i want to display the same error string as displayed by shell. How to go about this ? 2. ...

E.J. Friedman-Hill's Tcl/Tk Course

best reference for Tcl Programming | http://freepdf-ebook.blogspot.com/2007/12/tcl-scripting-language.html
download now http://freepdf-ebook.blogspot.com/2007/12/tcl-scripting-language.html On 11 dec, 23:27, Tony Andreas <xtw...@gmail.com> wrote: > download nowhttp://freepdf-ebook.blogspot.com/2007/12/tcl-scripting-language.html I do not want to sound too critical or offend you in any way, but that page contains a few typos. You may want to correct these, as - at least to me, at first sight - it gives a bad impression about the quality of the work. Regards, Arjen On Dec 11, 5:27 pm, Tony Andreas <xtw...@gmail.com> wrote: > download nowhttp://freepdf-ebook.blogspot.com/2007/12/tcl-scripting-language.html I am a bit confused. Are you looking for the best reference for tcl programming? Or are you claiming that this 10 page document is better than the multi-hundred page books that are available, either online for free or in stores? What criteria was used to compare this document against other works? And what group compared the various works written for Tcl and declared this pdf the best? Just curious. ...

Web resources about - l'C program executing from a tcl script with pipe opened using open command in Tcl - comp.lang.tcl

Self-executing rule - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The self-executing rule , also known as " deem and pass ", is procedural measure used by the U.S. House of Representatives to approve legislation. ...

Saudi Arabia condemned for executing prominent Shiite cleric on terrorism charges
Saudi Arabia executes a prominent Shiite Muslim cleric alongside dozens of al-Qaeda members, stirring a rise in sectarian tensions across the ...

Islamic State video purports to show boy executing two Russian 'spies'
Executions of captives by the Sunni Muslim militants of the Islamic State have become grimly commonplace, but a newly surfaced video featured ...

Parramatta shooting: police leave empty-handed after executing search warrant at mosque
Police executed a search warrant at a Parramatta mosque overnight as part of their investigations into the fatal shooting on Friday of a civilian ...

US states having trouble executing their citizens
Despite a Supreme Court ruling allowing a controversial drug to be used for lethal injections in Oklahoma, death-penalty states are finding it ...

Islamic State video purports to show boy executing 'Russian spies'
Islamic State releases video that purports to show a young boy executing two men accused of working for Russian intelligence.

Boko Haram executing elderly in northeast Nigeria
Islamic extremists in northeast Nigeria are turning their guns on elderly people, killing more than 50 this week in a new tactic that has instilled ...

New iOS security exploit lets apps read users’ information by executing unsigned code
Security expert Charlie Miller has found a flaw in code signing on iOS devices (via Forbes) that allows developers to sneak malware apps onto ...

Law Journal Apologizes For Article About Executing Law Professors, Professor Resigns
Insane law review article prompts professor's resignation... but how did he get hired in the first place?