Looking for: A cool old tcl/Tk-based game

Years ago, I found a cool little card game, written in tcl/Tk.

It showed a 3x3 array of "cards". A card had an image of a geometric
shape on it. Each card image had (if I remember correctly) 3
attributes (color, shape, etc.), with (I think) four possible variants
per attribute. The game was to, as quickly as possible, plug in cards
so that you'd get 3 cards in a row in which all attributes had
different attribute values. This would throw those cards into a
"finished" heap, and deal out three new cards.

I think you had to "beat the clock"; get through the deck in record
time.

Like I say, my memory on this is hazy.

My fond feelings revolve around the fact that it came with no
instructions, but I managed to figure out the rules, then start to
develop strategies for optimizing my performance in getting through
the deck quickly.

It was fun!

Anyone know the name? Or where I can find a copy?

Feel free to write: razajac AT google's mail

        -raz
0
razajac (36)

On 31 jan, 01:02, razajac <raza...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Years ago, I found a cool little card game, written in tcl/Tk.
>
> It showed a 3x3 array of "cards". A card had an image of a geometric
> shape on it. Each card image had (if I remember correctly) 3
> attributes (color, shape, etc.), with (I think) four possible variants
> per attribute. The game was to, as quickly as possible, plug in cards
> so that you'd get 3 cards in a row in which all attributes had
> different attribute values. This would throw those cards into a
> "finished" heap, and deal out three new cards.
>
> I think you had to "beat the clock"; get through the deck in record
> time.
>
> Like I say, my memory on this is hazy.
>
> My fond feelings revolve around the fact that it came with no
> instructions, but I managed to figure out the rules, then start to
> develop strategies for optimizing my performance in getting through
> the deck quickly.
>
> It was fun!
>
> Anyone know the name? Or where I can find a copy?
>
> Feel free to write: razajac AT google's mail
>
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 -raz

The name of the "real" card game is Set:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Set_(game)

I think the script was called "gameset.tcl".  It was included in the
tclapps folder in the demos that came with ActiveTcl.  This wiki page
mentions it:

    http://wiki.tcl.tk/2332

Hope that helps.

Aric
0
aric.bills (466)
1/31/2009 8:28:39 AM
On 31 jan, 01:28, Aric Bills <aric.bi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 31 jan, 01:02, razajac <raza...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Years ago, I found a cool little card game, written in tcl/Tk.
>
> > It showed a 3x3 array of "cards". A card had an image of a geometric
> > shape on it. Each card image had (if I remember correctly) 3
> > attributes (color, shape, etc.), with (I think) four possible variants
> > per attribute. The game was to, as quickly as possible, plug in cards
> > so that you'd get 3 cards in a row in which all attributes had
> > different attribute values. This would throw those cards into a
> > "finished" heap, and deal out three new cards.
>
> > I think you had to "beat the clock"; get through the deck in record
> > time.
>
> > Like I say, my memory on this is hazy.
>
> > My fond feelings revolve around the fact that it came with no
> > instructions, but I managed to figure out the rules, then start to
> > develop strategies for optimizing my performance in getting through
> > the deck quickly.
>
> > It was fun!
>
> > Anyone know the name? Or where I can find a copy?
>
> > Feel free to write: razajac AT google's mail
>
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 -raz
>
> The name of the "real" card game is Set:
>
> =A0 =A0http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Set_(game)
>
> I think the script was called "gameset.tcl". =A0It was included in the
> tclapps folder in the demos that came with ActiveTcl. =A0This wiki page
> mentions it:
>
> =A0 =A0http://wiki.tcl.tk/2332
>
> Hope that helps.
>
> Aric

Looks like you can download the script (and a bunch of other stuff)
here:

    ftp://tcl.activestate.com/pub/tcl/nightly-cvs/

Look for "tclapps-<date>.tar.gz".
0
aric.bills (466)

Debugger for Tcl/Tk and [incr Tcl]

Incr Tcl /Tk for Tcl 8.4

E.J. Friedman-Hill's Tcl/Tk Course

A Simple Tcl-based fIGLET library (Stiglet.tcl)
Come one, come all! I got sick of depending on compiled execs for FIGlets. Furthermore, 1) I wa= nted to dynamically create banners in TTY command loop apps, 2) I don't nee= d fancy-schmantz features like "smooshing", and 3) for simple banner genera= tion, a fairly short piece of tcl code does the trick just fine. So: have a look. http://www.ronazajac.com/Stiglet/ - Ron A. Zajac ...

UK based Tcl/Tk Trainer
Hi can anyone recommend a UK based Tcl/Tk and Perl trainer ? thanks Sophie The same question last year had a few responses: http://tinyurl.com/27657 I'll also mention http://www.doulos.com/, another course we booked was well presented, can't vouch for their Tcl courses specifically. Steve. "Sophie Williams" <sophie-williams@utvinternet.com> wrote in message news:533c2198.0406102344.546a0a2f@posting.google.com... > Hi > can anyone recommend a UK based Tcl/Tk and Perl trainer ? > > thanks > > Sophie Best place I know is to head over to the tcl...

List of Tcl/Tk based applications
Is there a list kept anywhere of applications created using the Tcl/Tk language and tools? I have written a few things over the years that might be useful, at least as learning tools, for someone else even if they don't actually use the programs. Rob. On 04/11/2012 01:42 AM, Rob wrote: > Is there a list kept anywhere of applications created using the Tcl/Tk > language and tools? > > I have written a few things over the years that might be useful, at least as > learning tools, for someone else even if they don't actually use the > programs. > You can search github by language: https://github.com/languages/Tcl Ned On 4/11/12 12:42 AM, Rob wrote: > Is there a list kept anywhere of applications created using the Tcl/Tk > language and tools? > > I have written a few things over the years that might be useful, at least as > learning tools, for someone else even if they don't actually use the > programs. It is implied in your post that you mean public domain programs. I'd look at/to http://wiki.tcl.tk As to commercial programs, I think ActiveState has a partial list on one of their "testimonial" pages. -- +------------------------------------------------------------------------+ | Gerald W. Lester, President, KNG Consulting LLC | | Email: Gerald.Lester@kng-consulting.net | +------------------------------------------------------------------------+ ...

Registration Open for 19th Annual Tcl/Tk Conference (Tcl'2012)
19th Annual Tcl/Tk Conference (Tcl'2012) http://www.tcl.tk/community/tcl2012/ November 12 - 16, 2012 Sessions: National Museum of Health and Medicine Chicago 175 W. Washington Chicago, IL 60602 Rooms: Holiday Inn Chicago Mart Plaza 350 West Mart Center Drive Chicago, Illinois, USA Map/Transport: https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=204739899073144451536.0004c144222a9036c99f6&msa=0&ll=41.885266,-87.633734&spn=0.008443,0.018818 http://wiki.tcl.tk/28843#pagetoca7e55932 I am pleased to announce that registration for the Conference is now open at http://www.tcl.tk/community/tcl2012/reg.html To book a room at the conference hotel at reduced rates please follow the instructions on that page. Note that the offer of reduced rates expires on October 20. Book early. Our schedule can be found at http://www.tcl.tk/community/tcl2012/schedule.html Conference Committee Clif Flynt Noumena Corp General Chair, Website Admin Andreas Kupries ActiveState Software Inc. Program Chair Cyndy Lilagan Nat. Museum of Health & Medicine, Chicago Site/Facilities Chair Arjen Markus Deltares Brian Griffin Mentor Graphics Donal Fellows University of Manchester Gerald Lester KnG Consulting, LLC Jeffrey Hobbs ActiveState Software Inc. Kevin Kenny GE Global Research Center Larry Virden Mike Doyle ...

mojolicious and realtime web, events getting thier do? does tcl do this ? when tcl be epoll based?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRWzhJDyHB8 ...

Looking for a good tcl/tk directory browser
Hi-- My interactive application needs to let the user open and save files and navigate among directories. Can you recommend a good tcl/tk directory browser? Hopefully it satisfies: * has the usual functions: 'save', 'save as', 'open', 'new', etc. * unrestricted use and distribution * works for Linux, Mac, Windows * easy to hook into my tcl/tk/c++ application * clean, reliable, presentable * behaves as the user would expect Thanks! Matt ...

Looking for a Programmers Guide for Tcl Tk Libraries
I've been using Tcl/Tk for a while both as a scripting language, and embedded in C++. However, my experience using calling the Tcl/Tk library C functions has been largely a frustrating trial of trial and error. The man pages (e.g. http://www.tcl.tk/man/tcl8.4/TkLib/contents.htm) are all very well, if you know what function you're looking for, but I can't find anywhere where the developers of the libraries have written down how they recommend they be used. For example, the man page for Tk_GeometryRequest says: "Widget code should never call procedures like Tk_ResizeWindow dir...

Problem running application based on TCL/TK
Hi all, I'm trying to port an application top OpenVMS. The application consists of both compiled C/Fortran executables as TCL-scripts. The problem arises when a TCL-script requires to run an executable i.e. by he command exec { /$disk6/joukj/public/xcrysden.xcrysden/bin/ftnunit } These commands always fail. although the file $disk6:[joukj.public.xcrysden.xcrysden.bin]ftnunit.exe exists and can be runned by $ run $disk6:[joukj.public.xcrysden.xcrysden.bin]ftnunit.exe Does anyone has experience using this exec command from TCL? Did I made a configuration error in the application? Does the exec command in TCL work for OpenVMS? I tried both OpenVMs 8.4 on Alpha and IA64 with the same results The application I'm trying to port is XCrySDen. See http://nchrem.tnw.tudelft.nl/openvms/software2.html#XCRYS for more details how I did it. Jouk Joukj wrote: > Hi all, > > I'm trying to port an application top OpenVMS. The application consists > of both compiled C/Fortran executables as TCL-scripts. The problem > arises when a TCL-script requires to run an executable > i.e. by he command > exec { /$disk6/joukj/public/xcrysden.xcrysden/bin/ftnunit } > These commands always fail. although the file > $disk6:[joukj.public.xcrysden.xcrysden.bin]ftnunit.exe exists and can be > runned by > $ run $disk6:[joukj.public.xcrysden.xcrysden.bin]ftnunit.exe > > Does anyone has experience using this exec command from TCL? ...

Looking for help with tcl/tk script on GNOME
I'm helping a group of users move from SPARC Solaris OpenWindows (really!) to SPARC Solaris GNOME. One of the users this week reported the following. He has an application that has a variety of buttons, listboxes, entry fields and text fields in the window. Under OpenWindows, one could move the mouse into the window and enter text into the entry fields, etc. and make use of keyboard keys for which he has bindings. Under GNOME, things work slightly different. When one first moves the mouse into the window, the keyboard key bindings do not work. After mouse clicking any of the button...

2nd Call For Papers for the 17th Annual Tcl/Tk Conference (Tcl'2010)
[[ Important Changes: More information about registration at the hotel. Our location chair has organized special social activities, both geeky (FermiLab Tour) and cultured (Theatre). See below for more. ]] 17th Annual Tcl/Tk Conference (Tcl'2010) http://www.tcl.tk/community/tcl2010/ October 11 - 15, 2010 Hilton Suites/Conference Center Chicago/Oakbrook Terrace, Illinois, USA Important Dates: Abstracts and proposals due August 1, 2010 Notification to authors August 15, 2010 WIP and BOF reservations open August 1, 2010 Author materials due October 1, 2010 Tutorials Start October 11, 2010 Conference starts October 13, 2010 Email Contact: tclconference@googlegroups.com Submission of Summaries Tcl/Tk 2010 will be held in Chicago/Oakbrook Terrace, Illinois USA from October 11 - 15, 2010. The program committee is asking for papers and presentation proposals from anyone using or developing with Tcl/Tk (and extensions). Past conferences have seen submissions covering a wide variety of topics including: * Scientific and engineering applications * Industrial controls * Distributed applications and Network Managment * Object oriented extensions to Tcl/Tk * New widgets for Tk * Simulation and application steering with Tcl/Tk * Tcl/Tk-centric operating environments * Tcl/Tk on small and embedded devices * Medical applications and visualization * Use of different programming paradigms in Tcl/Tk and pr...

1st Call For Papers
22nd Annual Tcl/Tk Conference (Tcl'2015) http://www.tcl.tk/community/tcl2015/ October 19 - 23, 2015 Comfort Suites Manassas 7350 Williamson Blvd, 20109 Manassas, Virginia, USA Important Dates: Abstracts and proposals due August 24, 2015 Notification to authors August 31, 2015 WIP and BOF reservations open July 27, 2015 Author materials due September 28, 2015 Tutorials Start October 19, 2015 Conference starts October 21, 2015 Email Contact: tclconference@googlegroups.com Submission of Summaries Tcl/Tk 201...

Free Tcl App + Libs and TK Extension. Giving something back to the TCL Dev community
Free Tcl App + Libs and TK Extension. Giving something back to the TCL Dev community. After years of TCL Dev I am giving something back to the Dev Tcl Community. You can download NetpackX including source code at http://helihobby.com/netpackx/index.html and also you may download lots of cool aps and libs here: http://helihobby.com/netpackx/Tcl_Tk/tcl_tk.html I hope TCL/TK continues to grow and special thanks to Jeff Hobbs for his support. Regards, Sean - www.HeliHobby.com ...

[Tcl/Tk Community] We need *urgent* advertisement among CS students about Tcl in GSoC 2009
Hi! I'm Tomasz Kosiak. This year I have an honor to officially serve as an administrator for Tcl/Tk Community involvement in Google Summer of Code 2009 program. I would like to ask all broad Tcl community members to help us reach students worldwide and encourage them to apply for a summer scholarship. If you have never heard of Google Summer of Code (aka GSoC) it is a Google, Inc. sponsored initiative to fund aproximately 1000 student scholarship $4500 each for coding during a summer for ideas freely chosen by approved open-source organization. Tcl/Tk community is approved again by Google this year (second time). We seek opportunities to advertise among CS students our GSoC project ideas. That is why I have prepared one slide info about Tcl/Tk and GSoC. This e-mail can be freely forwarded directly to prospective students or to your fellow university teachers so they can show this slide for their students. The goal is to reach students worldwide willing to apply to Tcl/Tk as mentoring organization. See Tcl/Tk GSoC 2009 in a pill at http://tinyurl.com/tcl-gsoc2009 and this is the only URL students shall write down to get started. Official news about Tcl/Tk GSoC 2009 is at http://www.tcl.tk/gsoc/ and http://wiki.tcl.tk/22182. We, Tcl mentors and admins, are really willing to help students prepare their applications. This is what our community is fond of. As last year we *do* plan to act as umbrella organization for other Tcl-related projects like Tk, XOTcl, Expect, AO...

blt-20100206.tar.gz on ftp://www.tcl.tk/pub/tcl/nightly-cvs/
It appears this BLT file was placed there a couple of weeks ago on Feb. 7, 2010. I downloaded it but couldn't get the example scripts to run. It seems some files are missing, such as pkgIndex.tcl and BLT24.dll. Has anyone else tried looking at it? Regards, sd/ Any issues compiling it? I tried on Linux and get this: bltPictDraw.c:62: error: expected specifier-qualifier-list before =91XftFont=92 bltPictDraw.c: In function =91CreateSimpleTextLayout=92: bltPictDraw.c:597: error: =91FtFont=92 has no member named =91height=92 bltPictDraw.c:614: error: =91FtFont=92 has no member...

Web resources about - Looking for: A cool old tcl/Tk-based game - comp.lang.tcl