Looking for a Programmers Guide for Tcl Tk Libraries

I've been using Tcl/Tk for a while both as a scripting language, and
embedded in C++. However, my experience using calling the Tcl/Tk
library C functions has been largely a frustrating trial of trial and
error. The man pages (e.g.
http://www.tcl.tk/man/tcl8.4/TkLib/contents.htm) are all very well, if
you know what function you're looking for, but I can't find anywhere
where the developers of the libraries have written down how they
recommend they be used.

For example, the man page for Tk_GeometryRequest says:

"Widget code should never call procedures like Tk_ResizeWindow
directly. Instead, it should invoke Tk_GeometryRequest and leave the
final geometry decisions to the geometry manager."

Well, how is one to know that?! - unless you stumble on the
Tk_GeometryRequest page, because after 45 minutes of trial and error,
you can't seem to make Tk_ResizeWindow do what you expect?

What I am looking for therefore is a programmer's guide to using the
Tcl/Tk libraries in a C/C++ application. I don't mean the usual
perfunctory "How to embed Tcl/Tk in C" chapter found in most Tcl/Tk
books. I mean a guide describing the best/proper/suggested use of the
multitude of C functions in the Tcl Tk libraries to create a polished
and sophisticated user interface for a C or C++ program. I would be
most grateful if someone can point me to a web or printed resource.

Thanks
Mike
0
meglin (1)