Looking for a Programmers Guide for Tcl Tk Libraries

I've been using Tcl/Tk for a while both as a scripting language, and
embedded in C++. However, my experience using calling the Tcl/Tk
library C functions has been largely a frustrating trial of trial and
error. The man pages (e.g.
http://www.tcl.tk/man/tcl8.4/TkLib/contents.htm) are all very well, if
you know what function you're looking for, but I can't find anywhere
where the developers of the libraries have written down how they
recommend they be used.

For example, the man page for Tk_GeometryRequest says:

"Widget code should never call procedures like Tk_ResizeWindow
directly. Instead, it should invoke Tk_GeometryRequest and leave the
final geometry decisions to the geometry manager."

Well, how is one to know that?! - unless you stumble on the
Tk_GeometryRequest page, because after 45 minutes of trial and error,
you can't seem to make Tk_ResizeWindow do what you expect?

What I am looking for therefore is a programmer's guide to using the
Tcl/Tk libraries in a C/C++ application. I don't mean the usual
perfunctory "How to embed Tcl/Tk in C" chapter found in most Tcl/Tk
books. I mean a guide describing the best/proper/suggested use of the
multitude of C functions in the Tcl Tk libraries to create a polished
and sophisticated user interface for a C or C++ program. I would be
most grateful if someone can point me to a web or printed resource.

Thanks
Mike
0
meglin (1)

0
davygrvy (1376)

Debugger for Tcl/Tk and [incr Tcl]

Newbie to Tcl/Tk: Question about Tcl and VxWorks....
Hello All, I have tried looking on the offical tcl/tk website and also at WindRiver's without success. Please forgive my ignorance on this, but is tcl/tk available for VxWorks or is there in progress a port going on. Many thanks in advance, Richard "Richard Latter" <richard_l@latter.demon.co.uk> writes: > I have tried looking on the offical tcl/tk website and also at WindRiver's > without success. Please forgive my ignorance on this, but is tcl/tk > available for VxWorks or is there in progress a port going on. I have ancient Tcl 7.3 here, but don't know of newer ports. Donald Arseneau asnd@triumf.ca ...

Incr Tcl /Tk for Tcl 8.4

tcl/tk unicode wie kann man formel/math. zeichen in tk unter tcl anzeigen lassen?
Hallo, ich schreibe gerade an einen programm, dass auf windows unix und vielleicht auch anderen plattformen laufen soll. es sollen auch mathematische zeichen wie alpha 'm�' etc. dargestellt werden. mit welchen zeichensatz (vielleicht unicode) kann man dies realisieren? funktioniert es mit einen zeichensatz f�r alle plattformen unabh�ngig? English summary for the rest of the world: sven.rega@gmx.de would like to use mathematical symbols like "mu" in Tk applications. He asks if Unicode is the solution and whether that works on all platforms. I assert that Unicode works since Tcl 8.1 and that UCN syntax like \u00B5 is the way to go with symbols hardcoded in Tcl scripts. I point him to "charmap.exe" (Windows), "Character Palette" (Mac OS X) or generically to <http://www.unicode.org> to find out the Unicode code points. ---------------- Hi, Versuch doch bitte beim n�chsten Mal auf Englisch zu fragen, sonst kann Dir nur ein Bruchteil der Leute hier folgen. sven.rega@gmx.de (xfan) writes: > ich schreibe gerade an einen programm, dass auf windows unix und > vielleicht auch anderen plattformen laufen soll. es sollen auch > mathematische zeichen wie alpha 'm�' etc. dargestellt werden. mit > welchen zeichensatz (vielleicht unicode) kann man dies realisieren? Ja, das funktioniert mit Unicode in Tcl seit Version 8.1. > funktioniert es mit einen zeichensatz f�r alle plattformen > unabh�ngig? Das ist die ...

E.J. Friedman-Hill's Tcl/Tk Course

Introducing Tcl/Tk to a programmer
I have a programmer friend who recently asked me recommend a language for him to learn. He wants a utility language which he can use to write small tools and applications, preferably with a GUI and to run on Windows. "Sure," I said, "Perl! No - wait! Tcl!" I've been using Tcl for 10 years or more but I've never had to describe why it's so much better than Perl et al from a scripting point of view. (I can describe embedability, extensability, etc.) I kind of "know" the beauty of the language is it's dynamic nature, but how do you get that across to someone who is used to coding C++ for a living? I volunteered to go round to this guy's house and show him the light. I envision myself sitting in front of tkcon making buttons and things pop up. That'll take 5 minutes. Any suggestions where I take him next? -- The email address used to post is a spam pit. Contact me at http://www.derekfountain.org : <a href="http://www.derekfountain.org/">Derek Fountain</a> Derek Fountain wrote: > I have a programmer friend who recently asked me recommend a language for > him to learn. He wants a utility language which he can use to write small > tools and applications, preferably with a GUI and to run on Windows. > "Sure," I said, "Perl! No - wait! Tcl!" > > I've been using Tcl for 10 years or more but I've never had to describe why > it's so much better than Perl ...

A Simple Tcl-based fIGLET library (Stiglet.tcl)
Come one, come all! I got sick of depending on compiled execs for FIGlets. Furthermore, 1) I wa= nted to dynamically create banners in TTY command loop apps, 2) I don't nee= d fancy-schmantz features like "smooshing", and 3) for simple banner genera= tion, a fairly short piece of tcl code does the trick just fine. So: have a look. http://www.ronazajac.com/Stiglet/ - Ron A. Zajac ...

Cannot built PL/Tcl because Tcl is not a shared library; skipping it
For tcl, I've run ./configure --enable-shared to have a tcl like a shared library and for tk, I've run ./configure --enable-shared --with-tcl to have a tk like a shared library. The installation of tcl and of tk work fine. For postgreSQL, I've run ./configure --with-tclconfig --with-tkconfig --with-openssl --without-readline. The installation of postgreSQL work fine. When I am at the location postgresql-7.4.2/src/pl/tcl, to launch make. I got an error message : Cannot built PL/Tcl because Tcl is not a shared library; skipping it I demand you to reply, please. Than...

Plots library for tcl/tk
Hi there, I'd like to quickly draw curves (several hundreds of points) in a tk window. Which libraries/packages would you recommend for tcl/tk 8.5.5? Thanks Gaby On 8 jan, 14:40, gaby <pont.gabr...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi there, > I'd like to quickly draw curves (several hundreds of points) in a tk > window. Which libraries/packages would you recommend for tcl/tk 8.5.5? > > Thanks > > Gaby Well, being the author, I suggest Plotchart in Tcllib (it's a Tcl-only package). But BLT is a very good plotting package as well. And you might want to look at PLplot. See the Wiki for the references. Regards, Arjen On 8 jan, 15:06, Arjen Markus <arjen.mar...@wldelft.nl> wrote: > On 8 jan, 14:40, gaby <pont.gabr...@gmail.com> wrote: > > > Hi there, > > I'd like to quickly draw curves (several hundreds of points) in a tk > > window. Which libraries/packages would you recommend for tcl/tk 8.5.5? > > > Thanks > > > Gaby > > Well, being the author, I suggest Plotchart in Tcllib (it's a Tcl-only > package). > > But BLT is a very good plotting package as well. And you might want > to look at PLplot. See the Wiki for the references. > > Regards, > > Arjen Thanks Arjen! But I am not sure Plotchart can perform zooms and I cannot find BLT packages for tcl 8.5.... Gaby On 9 jan, 01:01, gaby <pont.gabr...@gmail.com> wrote: > On 8 jan, 15:06, Arjen Marku...

ANN: Tcl RAL
This is to announce the initial release of TCLRAL, an implementation of relational algebra for Tcl. From a programmers point of view, this is a "C" based extension that introduces two new data types, Tuple and Relation, and a set of ensemble style commands that provide the algebraic operators. The project is hosted at SourceForge and the project page at http://tclral.sourceforge.net provides the details. This is an initial release so the usual cautions apply. Also my appologies to Windows users at this time. I don't have access to Microsoft compilers so it will take me a bit longer to ready the usual Windows binary release. A linux binary release is provided. Also, unix users will note that the build procedures for the source release are sparse. This will improve over time. -- Andrew Mangogna ...

how to access prolog from tcl?(not using tcl/tk interface from prolog)
hi, I am now doing my thesis project relate to mobile agent technology which need to access prolog from tcl. There are a lot of prologs which have the function to access tcl from prolog, but I need to access prolog from tcl.(I can not use the method that first load prolog, then access tcl via the interface, and reload prolog). So is there any one can help me or give me some tips to solve this problem? Now I can only found one article to solve this problem(http://tkoutline.sourceforge.net/wiki/38). I tried the code, but unfortunately, the terminal always crashed and did not give any response when I run the second command of its example---"% prolog::init". I could run the command of "plcon -s interp.pl -t main -q" in DOS terminal without problem. Originally I thought it is the version problem of tcl, so I changed it from 8.4.9 to 8.0.3, but the problem was still there. My SWI-prolog version is 3.1.2. My operating system is winXP. I am now very nervous about that, Please give me some help to solve this problem, or tell me some other way to access prolog from tcl. Thank you very much I did not give up the solution of (http://tkoutline.sourceforge.net/wiki/38). Now I changed SWI-prolog version to 5.4.4. When I run the second command(prolog::init) of the example from wish.exe, it pop up a window, said that Prolog interpreter closed unexpectedly Prolog interpreter closed unexpectedly while executing "error "Prolog interpreter closed unexpect...

Experienced Tcl/Tk Programmer Required
Must reside in or around the Atlanta area. Contact for more details. Contact Information: Dr Alex Van der Velden Engineering Director velden@engineous.com Please do not reply to this email! ...

looking for tcl\tk widget demo
Hi, I'm looking for tcl\tk widget demo for something like a setup exe (install application). Thanks, Yael. yael wrote: > I'm looking for tcl\tk widget demo for something like a setup exe > (install application). http://www.activestate.com/Tcl Install it on Windows - that is a fully self-contained Tcl/Tk app that installs Tcl/Tk from within itself. -- Jeff Hobbs The Tcl Guy Senior Developer http://www.ActiveState.com/ Tcl Support and Productivity Solutions Jeff Hobbs wrote: > yael wrote: > >> I'm looking for tcl\tk widget demo for something like a setup exe >> (install application). > > > http://www.activestate.com/Tcl > > Install it on Windows - that is a fully self-contained Tcl/Tk app > that installs Tcl/Tk from within itself. I should add that it is also fully cross-platform, we just haven't released it as a self-installer on *nix because most users are so distrusting of self-extracting executables there. :/ -- Jeff Hobbs The Tcl Guy Senior Developer http://www.ActiveState.com/ Tcl Support and Productivity Solutions "Jeff Hobbs" <jeffh@activestate.com> wrote > > > I'm looking for tcl\tk widget demo for something like a setup exe > > (install application). > > http://www.activestate.com/Tcl > > Install it on Windows - that is a fully self-contained ...

a good guide to ruby-tcl\tk
Hi, is there a good guide to ruby-tcl\tk online? I found some sites for perl, but really do not like the idea of learning perl to code ruby :-) greetings, BXS Boris \"BXS\" Schulz wrote: > Hi, > > is there a good guide to ruby-tcl\tk online? > I found some sites for perl, but really do not like the idea of > learning perl to code ruby :-) > > greetings, BXS ironic but the best guide to ruby-tcl\tk online IMO .... is the perl/tk guide (so far) On Fri, 16 Apr 2004, Boris "BXS" Schulz wrote: > Hi, > > is there a good guide to rub...

ANNOUNCE: ADB and ADBSQL pure-tcl database engine for Tcl/Tk
Dear All, I'm happy to announce today the first release of adb/adbsql. ADB together with the MySQL database connectivity module adbsql are a Tcl/Tk package useful for Tcl/Tk programmers that want to store their data in a database-kind of way with tables and fields. Two (optional) features of ADB that may make it worthwhile for you: * Writing the database as XML output and later of course the ability to read it. * Connecting directly to a MySQL database. The fun part of ADB is that you can either use it as a full pure tcl library, or you can use these advanced features that require additional packages. Both modules are released under open source LGPL or BSD licenses (your pick) More information: http://wiki.tcl.tk/6319 - Tcl/Tk wiki page on ADB http://sourceforge.net/projects/adbsql/ - Sourceforge page (including download area) http://adbsql.sourceforge.net/adb.html - Manual page of ADB http://adbsql.sourceforge.net/adbsql.html - Manual page of ADBSQL Kind regards, Roalt Aalmoes ...

Registration Open for 19th Annual Tcl/Tk Conference (Tcl'2012)
19th Annual Tcl/Tk Conference (Tcl'2012) http://www.tcl.tk/community/tcl2012/ November 12 - 16, 2012 Sessions: National Museum of Health and Medicine Chicago 175 W. Washington Chicago, IL 60602 Rooms: Holiday Inn Chicago Mart Plaza 350 West Mart Center Drive Chicago, Illinois, USA Map/Transport: https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=204739899073144451536.0004c144222a9036c99f6&msa=0&ll=41.885266,-87.633734&spn=0.008443,0.018818 http://wiki.tcl.tk/28843#pagetoca7e55932 I am pleased to announce that registration for the Conference is now open at http://www.tcl.tk/community/tcl2012/reg.html To book a room at the conference hotel at reduced rates please follow the instructions on that page. Note that the offer of reduced rates expires on October 20. Book early. Our schedule can be found at http://www.tcl.tk/community/tcl2012/schedule.html Conference Committee Clif Flynt Noumena Corp General Chair, Website Admin Andreas Kupries ActiveState Software Inc. Program Chair Cyndy Lilagan Nat. Museum of Health & Medicine, Chicago Site/Facilities Chair Arjen Markus Deltares Brian Griffin Mentor Graphics Donal Fellows University of Manchester Gerald Lester KnG Consulting, LLC Jeffrey Hobbs ActiveState Software Inc. Kevin Kenny GE Global Research Center Larry Virden Mike Doyle ...

Tcl/Tk Scripting Programmer Required for NewViews
I am a semi-retired business consultant. Over the last 20 years I have written and supported many procedures for the accounting program "NewViews" by Q.W. Page in Toronto. The original NewViews was a single-user, DOS based application and incorporated its own interpretative procedure language which is very similar to BASIC. The new version is a multi-user, platform independent application and no longer supports the original NewViews Procedure Language. It uses Tcl/Tk scripting. My clients are anxious to upgrade to the new program. All the procedures I have written will need to be re-written in Tcl/Tk. I have no experience in scripting languages and I don't have the time or the inclination to learn. I am looking for someone who is fluent in Tcl/Tk who is willing to work with me to rewrite these applications. I am looking for someone in the Lower Mainland area of BC Canada who is willing to do piece work on this project. Fees are negotiable and they will be generous. This is a NOW project - the sooner the better. Some experience with accounting applications would help but would not be necessary. BTW, once the switch to the new program is complete, all of these clients will need ongoing support and I will want the new programmer to take on this work so that I can completely retire. Best wishes Terry Tried to respond off the list but the email address above doesn't work. If you can't locate someone from lower mainland BC, ...

Web resources about - Looking for a Programmers Guide for Tcl Tk Libraries - comp.lang.tcl

Programmer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A programmer , computer programmer , developer , coder , or software engineer is a person who writes computer software . The term computer programmer ...

Programmer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A programmer , computer programmer , developer , coder , or software engineer is a person who writes computer software . The term computer programmer ...

Contract Analyst Programmer (MS.Net/Visual Basic) 160129/AP/vtd

Managing Programmers
Programmers are not like the other kids. They cannot and should not be managed like normal people if your intent is to produce high quality software. ...

CudaText: a programmer’s editor that everyone can use
You need a Notepad replacement, but web searches only get you overcomplicated programmer's editors aimed at people who think in regular expressions ...

One of the world's most important programmers works from home in his bathrobe in complete silence
Linus Torvalds, the founder and maintainer of the incredibly popular free Linux operating system, spends his days working from home in a bathrobe ...

Programmers: It’s time to tame Python
If you’re pursuing a career in coding, you’re going to have to reckon with Python, one of the most popular programming languages in use. A valuable ...

Uber Hires Programmers Who Can Win A Fight With Their Robot
Tech companies like Uber and Dropbox are using CodeFights, a platform that enables programmers to compete with one another to solve coding challenges, ...

Fighting ‘ticket bots’: Washington AG says it’s too early to tweak state law to protect altruistic programmers ...
... to pillage vast amount of show tickets. Rep. Jesse Young, R- Gig Harbor, has introduced a bill to slightly change that law to protect programmers ...

Unlocking Opportunities for Video Programmers of Color
... rooms. FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler's proposal to "unlock the box" would create greater opportunities for the talent and experiences of programmers ...