Mac OS X & tcl/tk...

Hi all, I am just wondering if anyone knows of or has compiled tk for
Mac OS X the 'unix' way ie: not the tcl/tk Aqua and can help with
compilling tk.

As a side note, i have managed to get tcl installed, got some errors
while running make test, but it 'seems' to ok so far.

The error message that I'm getting while trying to compile is:

pp-precomp: warning: errors during smart preprocessing, retrying in
basic mode
<built-in>:1:1: no macro name given in #define directive
make: *** [tk3d.o] Error 1

Thanking you in advance.

Shannon
0
shannonp (1)

Shannon,

In article <96e8bbb0.0308300056.26b0058e@posting.google.com>, Shannon
Pasto <shannonp@wehi.edu.au> wrote:

> Hi all, I am just wondering if anyone knows of or has compiled tk for
> Mac OS X the 'unix' way ie: not the tcl/tk Aqua and can help with
> compilling tk.

I do this regularly without any problems, currently both HEAD and
core-8-4-branch build fine for me on 10.2.6 and 10.3 with gcc 3.3

> As a side note, i have managed to get tcl installed, got some errors
> while running make test, but it 'seems' to ok so far.

most errors from 'make test' are really bugs in the testsuite, I
currently have no serious failures from the tcl 'make test' on OS
10.2.6, for both HEAD and tip of core-8-4-branch.

> The error message that I'm getting while trying to compile is:
>
> pp-precomp: warning: errors during smart preprocessing, retrying in
> basic mode
> <built-in>:1:1: no macro name given in #define directive
> make: *** [tk3d.o] Error 1

I don't see this

what version of tk are you trying to compile, what version of the
compiler are you using? gcc3 is preferred on 10.2

in any case, to get rid of such precomp errors, overriding the apple
precompiler by adding -no-cpp-precomp to CFLAGS should do the trick,
but AFAIR I have never had to do that with tk in the past.

Note that in gcc3.3, this flag reverts to default GNU behaviour and
will thus result in different behaviour from before. (i.e. gcc 2.95 and
gcc 3.1 with -no-cpp-precomp are the same as gcc 3.3 without the flag).

HTH

Cheers,

Daniel

--
** Daniel A. Steffen     **  "And now to something completely
** Dept. of Mathematics  **   different"    Monty Python

Tcl/Tk on Mac OS X

Ann: Tcl/Tk "Universal" packages for Mac OS X
I've packaged "universal" installers of Tcl/Tk for Mac OS X (both the Aqua and X11 variants), and the Tile theming extension, for use on Mac OS X's PPC and Intel architectures. These builds are based on Tcl/Tk 8.4.13. Downloads and more information can be found at http://tk-components.sourceforge.net/installer/ Thanks. -- Kevin Walzer Poetic Code http://www.kevin-walzer.com ...

Ruby 1.8.0 and Mac OS X and Tcl/Tk 8.4 Aqua (not!)
My trials with Ruby and Tcl/Tk on Mac OS X Ruby is 1.8.0 preview 7 Tcl/Tk 8.4 is the recent TclTk-Aqua build for that native OSX Aqua look Mac OS X is 10.2.3 (1) 'configure' wasn't finding Tcl/Tk, so I hacked up an OSX-only version of ext/tcltklib/extconf.rb with hard-coded parameters (which might be OK because of the frameworks) ========= # extconf.rb for tcltklib # HACKED for Mac OS X !!! require 'mkmf' if RUBY_PLATFORM !~ /mswin32|mingw|cygwin|bccwin32/ have_library("nsl", "t_open") have_library("socket&q...

Tcl 8.4.x & tcl-dp 4.0.x
Has anyone built tcl-dp 4.0.x on windows against Tcl 8.4.x ? Is it possible to get the windows dll and the source code with modifications? ...

ANN: aem 1.0, a lightweight mechanism for Tcl/Tk applications on Mac OS X to respond to Apple Events
I have just released aem 1.0, a lightweight mechanism for Tcl/Tk applications on Mac OS X to respond to Apple Events. This package allows Tcl/Tk applications on Mac OS X to respond to arbitrary Apple Events, the Mac's system-level application IPC protocol. The Apple Events mechanism allows Mac applications to script other applications using the AppleScript language--to query them for data, execute commands, and similar functions--in a manner similar to COM scripting on Windows and shell scripting on Unix. The package differs from an older Apple Events package, TclAE (htt...

ANN:Fve Ver5.2 (Editor for "Mac OS X"/Cygwin/Unix/Windows) Tcl/Tk script
Fve Ver5.2 (Editor for "Mac OS X"/Cygwin/Unix/Windows) Tcl/Tk script (File Viewer Editor_Version Fve 5.2) http://www.ne.jp/asahi/kazuo/sasagawa/ For Tcl/Tk 8.4,8.5: TclTkAqua 8.4: Tcl/Tk-cygwin 8.4. Please use ActiveTcl 8.4.18 binary packages or "TclTkAqua 8.4.10 binary packages". *Changes(Version5.2) 1 Added a "Customizing key bingings" item to Tools_Menu. 2 Added several bindings for Mac OS X. Command-a -> Select all Command-c -> Copy Command-e -> Use Selection for Find Command-f -> Find Command-g -> Find Next Command-i -> Insert-mode or Over_write-mode Toggle switch Command-n -> New Buffer Command-s -> Save Shift-Command-s -> Save As Command-v -> Paste Command-w -> Close current buffer Command-x -> Cut Command-z -> Undo Shift-Command-z -> Redo Command-? -> Help Command-+ -> Increase Font Size Command-- -> Decrease Font Size 3 Added a "append mode" checkbutton to the bottom Menu line. When the checkbutton is ON, the selected file is appended to the end of current buffer. 4 Added a "Unpack append_mode_CheckButton"_CheckButton to View_Menu. 5 Added a "Select a Menubar background color" command to View_Menu. (UNIX,WINDOWS) 6 Added "Edit" Menu.install.txt "Undo" "Redo" -------------------- "Cut" "Copy" "Paste" "Select All" *Overview ...

[ANN] Registration open && 2nd Call For Papers
Hello comp.lang.tcl, fyi ... 22nd Annual Tcl/Tk Conference (Tcl'2015) http://www.tcl.tk/community/tcl2015/ October 19 - 23, 2015 Comfort Suites Manassas 7350 Williamson Blvd, 20109 Manassas, Virginia, USA Important Dates: [[ Attention! Registration is open! Please have a look at http://www.tcl.tk/community/tcl2015/register.html ]] Abstracts and proposals due August 24, 2015 Notification to authors August 31, 2015 WIP and BOF reservations open July 27, 2015 Author materials due September 28, 2015 Tutorials Start October 19, 2015 Co...

Hi all, Yet another Graphviz version. The old application icon had been voted off the island, and brand new application and document icons flown in for the task. Comprehensive help features in this version too. http://www.pixelglow.com/graphviz/ What's new: ------------ Added new application and document icons. Added comprehensive help. Fixed changes not affecting graph size displaying incorrectly [BTr]. Fixed export then close crashing the export of an open window. Improved shadowed frame for graph [NRi]. Improved status display [NRi]. Changed sources to pure BSD license. Cheers, Glen Low --- pixelglow software | simply brilliant stuff www.pixelglow.com ...

Dear All: Them pesky bugs. A few more squashed courtesy of the sleepy pixel. http://www.pixelglow.com/graphviz/ What's new in v11 ------------ Fixed some comprehensive help [NRi]. Fixed scale option placeholder [NRi]. Improved application and document icons. Example files now double-click to open in application. What's new in v12 ------------ Added layout option tooltips [NRi]. Fixed layout popup button changing wrong graph [MKe]. Clicking on warning icon now opens Activity window [NRi, AM]. Revert menu item now disabled. Cheers, Glen Low --- pixelglow software | simply brilliant stuff www.pixelglow.com ...

Wrapping Tcl into Mac OS X executibles?
Hi guys. Well, I have three apps coming up to a v1.0 release soon and I'd like to release to the main platforms simultaneously. ActiveState's TclApp does me fine for creating stand-alone executibles for Windows and Linux. But Mac's the missing link. As mine are commercial apps, the ability to 'compile' the Tcl code to limit code snooping is essential for me. What are people currently using to convert their Tcl apps into Mac executibles? Cheers. Synic wrote: > Hi guys. > > Well, I have three apps coming up to a v1.0 release soon and I'd > like to release to the main platforms simultaneously. ActiveState's > TclApp does me fine for creating stand-alone executibles for Windows > and Linux. But Mac's the missing link. > > As mine are commercial apps, the ability to 'compile' the Tcl code to > limit code snooping is essential for me. What are people currently > using to convert their Tcl apps into Mac executibles? > > Cheers. > I wrap mine in a starpack and then put the whole thing in an application bundle. Or you can just organize the scripts into the application bundle itself. Mac OS X 10.4 comes with Tcl/Tk installed and includes tbcload, so you can even obfuscate your code. See http://tk-components.sourceforge.net/tk-bundle-tutorial/index.html for details. -- Kevin Walzer Poetic Code http://www.kevin-walzer.com In article <44E45991.1010107@kevin-walzer.com>, Kevin Walzer ...

mac os x tcl audio problem
Hi I'm running an audio application (snack) using TclTkAqua8.4, and whenever I try to access audio I get, AudioDeviceAddIOProc failed running 10.2 Audio works fine outside of tcl. any suggestsions? thanks paul lansky paul@princeton.edu ...

PDF to EPS workarounds for Mac OS X Attention TeXy, TeXy peoples: PDF to EPS workarounds for Mac OS X Attention TeXy, TeXy peoples: PDF to EPS workarounds for Mac OS X Attention TeXy, TeXy
Attention TeXy, TeXy peoples: (excuse the mispronunciation; punny licence) It seems that Mac OS X has partially documented issues (http://altair.ific.uv.es/~JaxoDraw/Bugparade/bugparade.htm, http://developer.apple.com/java/faq/issues.html#anchor6) with the generation of EPS, and I'm trying to find a workaround. The Preview application cannot export to eps, but it can read it (converting it to PDF). If I use Adobe Acrobat to read the PDF generated by Preview, the EPS it generates sometimes (inconsistently) causes dvips to make an unreadable file. What I'm trying to do is the following: I made a large figure with about 50 images (EPS images generated by Mathematica, with labels) all in a nice 'tabular' array, using LaTeX and dvips. I'm too incompetent/lazy to center the image correctly, so I tell dvips to make an oversized output (30 cm by 30 cm) and then I crop it in Preview. Then, I save the image in Preview as a PDF, open the PDF in Acrobat, and export to EPS. Sometimes this works, but in this case, no. Sometimes if I open the EPS (again!) in Preview, save as PDF (again!), and convert to EPS from Adobe (again...) this makes a file that LaTeX, dvips, and Preview (or ghostview) happily process. I mention this not to impress all with my willingness to mindlessly tinker, but rather because it seems to hint that something toxic can be dropped/broken from the EPS with repeated reconversions. You've probably guessed that I should just place the large f...

Help needed : Mac OS X & OS 9.x and Windows-Server
Until now we are using different Mac's running OS 9.1 and 9.2 and save our files on a Windows 2000 Server via MacServerIP (AFP over IP). In the next time we like to upgrade to OS X. Our problem: Files saved on the Server from OS 9 via AFP will be recognized by OS X as "Document" without application information. I tried to connect the Server via SMB and otherwise via AFP. When I manually used AFP ("afp://<servername>") the volume becomes visible, but if I try to select on file the file will be go away. Next time I connect to the volume the file is visible again. U...

Is tcl exec function supported under Mac OS X?
I've always read in the documentation about tcl at http://www.tcl.tk/man/tcl8.3/TclCmd/contents.htm that exec (as well as pipes) are not implemented for Mac OS platforms. I was recently trying tclsh under Darwin and to my surprise exec calls seemed to work. Could someone please confirm whether exec is supported in the new tcl/tk Aqua packages maintained by sourceforge at http://tcltkaqua.sourceforge.net/ / Karl Karl D wrote: > I've always read in the documentation about tcl at > http://www.tcl.tk/man/tcl8.3/TclCmd/contents.htm > that exec (as well as pipes) are not implemented > for Mac OS platforms. > I was recently trying tclsh under Darwin and to > my surprise exec calls seemed to work. Could someone > please confirm whether exec is supported in the new > tcl/tk Aqua packages maintained by sourceforge at > http://tcltkaqua.sourceforge.net/ exec works fine on OS X, not on Mac Classic. -- Jeff Hobbs, The Tcl Guy http://www.ActiveState.com/, a division of Sophos Jeff Hobbs <jeffh@removethis.activestate.com> wrote in message news:<4169FBB7.6080502@removethis.activestate.com>... > Karl D wrote: > > I've always read in the documentation about tcl at > > http://www.tcl.tk/man/tcl8.3/TclCmd/contents.htm > > that exec (as well as pipes) are not implemented > > for Mac OS platforms. > > I was recently trying tclsh under Darwin and to > > my surprise exec calls seemed to work. Co...

mktclapp & Tcl/Tk 8.4.x
Hopefully somebody on the list can answer this... Is "mktclapp" fully compatible with Tcl/Tk 8.4.x ? and if not...are there plans to update it ? While wrapping an application which uses 8.4.9, I now get compiler warnings regarding incompatible pointer types (I suspect due to 8.4's const correctness) cheers Shaun -- Shaun Deacon SOCDEC, Fujitsu Microelectronics America phone: ++1 408 737 5627 [coins: 7933 75627] email: sdeacon@fma.fujitsu.com -- Shaun Deacon wrote: > Hopefully somebody on the list can answer this... > > Is "mktclapp" fully compatible with Tcl/Tk 8.4.x ? > and if not...are there plans to update it ? > > While wrapping an application which uses 8.4.9, I now > get compiler warnings regarding incompatible pointer > types (I suspect due to 8.4's const correctness) I believe that Richard abandoned the mktclapp effort in favor of starkits: http://wiki.tcl.tk/starkit. -- Jeff Hobbs, The Tcl Guy http://www.ActiveState.com/, a division of Sophos Jeff Hobbs wrote: > I believe that Richard abandoned the mktclapp effort in favor > of starkits: http://wiki.tcl.tk/starkit. Yes, I kind of anticipated this answer... and had already started thinking that starkits would be the way to go after sending the question. thanks, Shaun -- Shaun Deacon SOCDEC, Fujitsu Microelectronics America phone: ++1 408 737 5627 [coins: 7933 75627] email: sdea...@fma.fujitsu.com -- "Shaun Deacon" <sd...

How I got Tcl/Tk working with Ruby on OS X
In case anyone is having trouble with this: Download the source for Tcl 8.4.16, Tk 8.4.16, and Ruby 1.8.6. Rename the source directories to tcl, tk, and ruby. cd tcl/macosx ../configure make >& make.log sudo make install cd tk/macosx ../configure make >& make.log sudo make install cd ruby ../configure --enable-tcltk-framework --with-tcltk-framework=/Library/ Frameworks --with-tcl-framework-header=/Library/Frameworks/ Tcl.framework/Headers --with-tk-framework-header=/Library/Frameworks/ Tk.framework/Headers --enable-pthread make >& make.log sudo make install Phil <...

Web resources about - Mac OS X & tcl/tk... - comp.lang.tcl