mktclapp & Tcl/Tk 8.4.x

Hopefully somebody on the list can answer this...

Is "mktclapp" fully compatible with Tcl/Tk 8.4.x ?
and if not...are there plans to update it ?

While wrapping an application which uses 8.4.9, I now
get compiler warnings regarding incompatible pointer
types (I suspect due to 8.4's const correctness)

cheers
Shaun

--
Shaun Deacon
SOCDEC, Fujitsu Microelectronics America

sdeacon (103)

Shaun Deacon wrote:

> Hopefully somebody on the list can answer this...
>
> Is "mktclapp" fully compatible with Tcl/Tk 8.4.x ?
> and if not...are there plans to update it ?
>
> While wrapping an application which uses 8.4.9, I now
> get compiler warnings regarding incompatible pointer
> types (I suspect due to 8.4's const correctness)

I believe that Richard abandoned the mktclapp effort in favor
of starkits: http://wiki.tcl.tk/starkit.

--
     Jeff Hobbs, The Tcl Guy
     http://www.ActiveState.com/, a division of Sophos
Jeff Hobbs wrote:

> I believe that Richard abandoned the mktclapp effort in favor
> of starkits: http://wiki.tcl.tk/starkit.

Yes, I kind of anticipated this answer... and had already started
thinking that starkits would be the way to go after sending the
question.

thanks,
Shaun

--
Shaun Deacon
SOCDEC, Fujitsu Microelectronics America
phone: ++1 408 737 5627  [coins: 7933 75627]
email: sdea...@fma.fujitsu.com

sdeacon (103)
12/16/2004 6:07:39 PM
"Shaun Deacon" <sdeacon@fma.fujitsu.com> wrote in

> Jeff Hobbs wrote:
>
>> I believe that Richard abandoned the mktclapp effort in favor
>> of starkits: http://wiki.tcl.tk/starkit.
>
> Yes, I kind of anticipated this answer... and had already started
> thinking that starkits would be the way to go after sending the
> question.

Agreed. But MKTCLAPP does provide some helpful utilities that can be used
for building dll/so's that will be incorporated in the tcl/starkit.

*** To reply by e-mail, make double u single in address ***
0
gay9251 (118)
12/16/2004 8:35:50 PM
Ian Gay wrote:
> "Shaun Deacon" wrote in
>>Jeff Hobbs wrote:
>>>I believe that Richard abandoned the mktclapp effort in favor
>>>of starkits: http://wiki.tcl.tk/starkit.
>>
>>Yes, I kind of anticipated this answer... and had already started
>>thinking that starkits would be the way to go after sending the
>>question.
>
> Agreed. But MKTCLAPP does provide some helpful utilities that can be used
> for building dll/so's that will be incorporated in the tcl/starkit.

What kind of utilities would those be (having never been a
user)?  A standard built Tcl extension that uses stubs is all
you need, and if you base it on the sample TEA extension, then
it should be rather easy to create dll/so's.

--
   Jeff Hobbs, The Tcl Guy
   http://www.ActiveState.com/, a division of Sophos
0
jeffh1 (361)
12/16/2004 9:51:14 PM
Jeff Hobbs <jeffh@removethis.activestate.com> wrote in

> Ian Gay wrote:
>> "Shaun Deacon" wrote in
>>>
>>>Yes, I kind of anticipated this answer... and had already started
>>>thinking that starkits would be the way to go after sending the
>>>question.
>>
>> Agreed. But MKTCLAPP does provide some helpful utilities that can be
>> used for building dll/so's that will be incorporated in the
>> tcl/starkit.
>
> What kind of utilities would those be (having never been a
> user)?  A standard built Tcl extension that uses stubs is all
> you need, and if you base it on the sample TEA extension, then
> it should be rather easy to create dll/so's.

'Utilities' was not a good choice of words. I meant he provides half a
dozen or so C routines that interface conveniently to the tcl C api for
common tasks like defining new commands and returning results.

Ian

--
*** To reply by e-mail, make double u single in address ***
0
gay9251 (118)
12/17/2004 5:05:54 PM
Ian Gay wrote:

>>>Agreed. But MKTCLAPP does provide some helpful utilities that can be
>>>used for building dll/so's that will be incorporated in the
>>>tcl/starkit.

> 'Utilities' was not a good choice of words. I meant he provides half a
> dozen or so C routines that interface conveniently to the tcl C api for
> common tasks like defining new commands and returning results.

Ah, I think that's a great idea.   I'd actually like to add some
stuff directly to the core and/or into TEA somehow that facilitates
some of these bits.  There are routines that are so common, we can
really have a few macros to shorten them.  I don't want to walk
down the crazy path that Perl XS leads, but simplification is still
possible.

--
     Jeff Hobbs, The Tcl Guy
     http://www.ActiveState.com/, a division of Sophos
0
jeffh1 (361)
12/17/2004 5:30:40 PM
Although I can use a starkit/starpack for collecting together my
application, the interpreter, various docs and utilities into a
single executable 'object'... ultimately, I don't think a starkit
does what I really want :-(

The reason I use 'mktclapp' is to create a single 'closed' binary.

Mktclapp allows me to generate a single C file from my application
tcl sources, custom widget .so/.dll, and icons which can all be
compiled into a binary executable. I also use the C functions that
Ian is referring to bolt in an additional primitive license checker
and the 'shroud' option to prevent, at least, a naive inspection
of the wrapped Tcl strings.

>From searches of previous posts on the list and the wiki it appears
that I cannot 'lock' the starkit/starpack.

BTW, I investigated ProWrap, Freewrap, etc, a while ago and had
various problems - mktclapp was the easiest to use and get working.

If I've misinterpretted starkit/starpacks, please let me know...
cheers
Shaun

0
sdeacon (103)
12/18/2004 12:26:47 AM
Shaun Deacon wrote:
> The reason I use 'mktclapp' is to create a single 'closed' binary.
>
> Mktclapp allows me to generate a single C file from my application
> tcl sources, custom widget .so/.dll, and icons which can all be
> compiled into a binary executable. I also use the C functions that
> Ian is referring to bolt in an additional primitive license checker
> and the 'shroud' option to prevent, at least, a naive inspection
> of the wrapped Tcl strings.
>
> From searches of previous posts on the list and the wiki it appears
> that I cannot 'lock' the starkit/starpack.
>
> BTW, I investigated ProWrap, Freewrap, etc, a while ago and had
> various problems - mktclapp was the easiest to use and get working.

Lock?  If you mean to prevent the user from seeing your source
code, then something like TclApp (the next-gen of prowrap) has
the ability to precompile (obfuscate) your Tcl code.  That is
generally all that people worry about.  A knowledgeable Tcl user
would still be able to crack open the starkit and see the
structure of the files in it, but not read your Tcl code.

--
     Jeff Hobbs, The Tcl Guy
     http://www.ActiveState.com/, a division of Sophos
0
jeffh1 (361)
12/21/2004 5:38:03 PM
Jeff Hobbs wrote:

> Lock?  If you mean to prevent the user from seeing your source
> code, then something like TclApp (the next-gen of prowrap) has
> the ability to precompile (obfuscate) your Tcl code

Yes, this was my main meaning...

However, I was also referring to a previous question on CLT about
'locking a starkit'

Regarding TclApp...IIRC, it was ProWrap that I had most issues
with - it's a long time ago, and I don't remember exactly, but I
suspect my main problems concerned the Tix extension.

So, with TclApp in mind, I have two questions :

1. Does TclApp support Tix ?...I use Tix mega-widgets extensively
in my current applications. In new apps, I will probably dump
Tix in favour of another widget set, but the porting effort for
current apps would be too much.

2. Is TclApp free ?...It appears from the ActiveState site that
the TDK is not freeware.

cheers,
Shaun

--
Shaun Deacon
SOCDEC, Fujitsu Microelectronics America
phone: ++1 408 737 5627  [coins: 7933 75627]
email: sdeacon@fma.fujitsu.com

sdeacon (103)
12/21/2004 10:05:11 PM
Shaun Deacon wrote:
> So, with TclApp in mind, I have two questions :
>
> 1. Does TclApp support Tix ?...I use Tix mega-widgets extensively
> in my current applications. In new apps, I will probably dump
> Tix in favour of another widget set, but the porting effort for
> current apps would be too much.

TclApp does not specifically declare supported extensions,
except to say that you must use a stubs-built extension.
If you have a stubs-built Tix, then you can use that.  I
know such is possible.

> 2. Is TclApp free ?...It appears from the ActiveState site that
> the TDK is not freeware.

No, it is commercial software, part of TDK (which has a lot
of other tools as well):
	http://www.activestate.com/Products/Tcl_Dev_Kit/

--
   Jeff Hobbs, The Tcl Guy
   http://www.ActiveState.com/, a division of Sophos
0
jeffh1 (361)

Tcl 8.4.x & tcl-dp 4.0.x
Has anyone built tcl-dp 4.0.x on windows against Tcl 8.4.x ? Is it possible to get the windows dll and the source code with modifications? ...

Incr Tcl /Tk for Tcl 8.4

Will Ruby 1.8.2 include tcl/tk 8.4.x instead of 8.3?
Will Ruby 1.8.2 release come with tcl/tk 8.4.7 libraries? Thanks. Hi, From: "H. Simpson" <nospam@asdlkfjhasldkjfsadlfhskadjfahsldfks.com> Subject: Will Ruby 1.8.2 include tcl/tk 8.4.x instead of 8.3? Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 17:01:40 +0900 Message-ID: <HwmPc.1858$Z56.480@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com> > Will Ruby 1.8.2 release come with tcl/tk 8.4.7 libraries? Is that a binary package of Ruby 1.8.2 ? If you say about source files, Ruby/Tk can work with Tcl/Tk8.4.7. I already tested that Ruby/Tk works with Tcl/Tk8.4.7 and 8.5a1 (and ActiveTcl-8.4.6.1 binary package). U...

difference between tcl 8.4.2 & 8.4.4
% exec $env(COMSPEC) /c net config This command now fails on Tcl 8.4.4 What can I do instead? to run with either version of tcl and windows 98. "couldn't execute "C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM": no such file or directory" Running on Win 98. Win XP is ok. Peter Campbell wrote: > % exec $env(COMSPEC) /c net config > > This command now fails on Tcl 8.4.4 > What can I do instead? to run with either version of tcl and windows 98. > > "couldn't execute "C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM": no such file or directory" > > Running on Win 98. > Win XP is ok. This is a known bug that is already fixed. 8.4.5 will be out by the end of the week with this corrected. -- Jeff Hobbs, The Tcl Guy http://www.ActiveState.com/, a division of Sophos Hi Peter, Peter Campbell <pc@acs.co.nz> writes: > % exec $env(COMSPEC) /c net config > > This command now fails on Tcl 8.4.4 > What can I do instead? to run with either version of tcl and windows 98. > > "couldn't execute "C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM": no such file or > directory" > > Running on Win 98. > Win XP is ok. This was discussed recently, check google. IIRC, this is a bug in 8.4.4, to be fixed in 8.4.5. benny ...

Ruby 1.8.0 and Mac OS X and Tcl/Tk 8.4 Aqua (not!)
My trials with Ruby and Tcl/Tk on Mac OS X Ruby is 1.8.0 preview 7 Tcl/Tk 8.4 is the recent TclTk-Aqua build for that native OSX Aqua look Mac OS X is 10.2.3 (1) 'configure' wasn't finding Tcl/Tk, so I hacked up an OSX-only version of ext/tcltklib/extconf.rb with hard-coded parameters (which might be OK because of the frameworks) ========= # extconf.rb for tcltklib # HACKED for Mac OS X !!! require 'mkmf' if RUBY_PLATFORM !~ /mswin32|mingw|cygwin|bccwin32/ have_library("nsl", "t_open") have_library("socket&q...

tcl 8.4.4 change in behavior with WriteChars over 8.3.x
Can I get some input on the following problem: Tcl_WriteChars() no longer returns the correct number of bytes written to an output stream on Unix (I am running on a Sun Ultra30 with Solaris9, but it looks like the issue is generic to Unix. My brief Inspection of the tcl code shows that the actual return value is never checked for this routine, however, except for being non-negative. However, I am using tcl as an embedded shell in a C++ program which directs its output stream through a Tcl_Channel and uses Tcl_WriteChars as a replacement for the unix write() call, which returns the number of bytes written to the output device. It would be desirable to keep this emulation if possible. Exact problem: A string of the form \n<content>\n (of size N) gets represented by TranslateOutputEOL (tclIO.c, l.3107) as (ctrl-M)\n<content>(ctrl-M)\n which has size N+2 My previous version, tcl8.3.2 returned the value N as expected. Any comments appreciated. Cheers, Ben Dorman -- ============================================================ Dr Ben Dorman, Lead Programmer/Analyst, L-3 Com EER Systems XSPEC Development and Technical Support Laboratory for High Energy Astrophysics, NASA/GSFC Building 6/S124, Code 600.1, NASA/GSFC, Greenbelt MD 20771 ben.dorman@gsfc.nasa.gov Tel: 301-286-9261 Fax: 301-286-1498 http://xspec.gsfc.nasa.gov http://lheawww.gsfc.nasa.gov/users/dorman/xspec12 [posted and mailed] Ben Dorman <ben.dorman@gsfc.nasa.gov> wrote in...

MapRequest event in Tcl/Tk 8.4.x
Hi, I've read about the new features in Tcl/Tk that allow widgets to be bound to MapRequest events (all or part of Tip # 47 was built in the Tcl core for this). When trying to make something like a window manager (running on top of the X Window System in Linux), the root window must be converted into a Tk window structure, which allows a script to bind the event to that Tk window, so that newly mapped windows will generate the map request. Using examples found on Donald K. Fellows' homepage, I managed to capture this event and embed a native X Window System window into a Tk frame. But is this really the way to do that? My question is: is there a mechanism to start "wish" as the window manager (from ~/.Xsession or /etc/X11/xinit/xinit.rc) and just use pure Tcl/Tk code to implement a window manager in Tcl/Tk 8.4.x? Cheers, Gerard Gerard wrote: > My question is: > is there a mechanism to start "wish" as the window manager (from > ~/.Xsession or /etc/X11/xinit/xinit.rc) and just use pure Tcl/Tk code > to implement a window manager in Tcl/Tk 8.4.x? TIP #47 didn't make Tk into a window manager. What it *did* was to add just enough functionality that a C extension can be a window manager without having to patch the Tk core - something that wasn't possible prior to 8.4. It also let Tk embed foreign applications by appearing to them as a window manager would. Several people, over the years, have released Tk-based window man...

"::tcl::tm::UnknownHandler ::tclPkgUnknown msgcat 1.4" caused by replacing Tcl 8.4.1 with 8.5.7
In the blog http://planet.larrythecow.org/archives/2009-07-26.html "The Twouble with Tcl" Iain Buchanan shows that redefining OPEN proc leads to the errors similar to what I am getting - when I replaced Tcl 8.4.1 with Tcl 8.5.7. In my case I don't know the exact root cause though ... Any ideas how I should proceed with debugging this issue ? Thanks, Alex tclsh c:/Tornado/host/resource/hutils/tcl/makeSymTbl.tcl ppc tmp.o symTbl.c invalid command name "::tcl::tm::UnknownHandler" while executing "::tcl::tm::UnknownHandler ::tclPkgUnknown msg...

ANNOUNCE: Tcl/Tk 8.4.4 Release
Tcl/Tk 8.4.4 Release Announcement July 22, 2003 The Tcl Core Team is pleased to announce the 8.4.4 releases of the Tcl scripting language and the Tk toolkit. This is the fourth patch release of Tcl/Tk 8.4. More details can be found below. We would like to express our gratitude to all those who submit bug reports and patches. This information is invaluable in enabling us to identify and eliminate problems in the core. Where to get the new releases: ------------------------------ Tcl/Tk 8.4.4 sources are freely available as open source from the Tcl Developer Xchange web site at: http://www.tcl.tk/software/tcltk/8.4.html This web page also contains additional information about the releases, including new features and notes about installing and compiling the releases. Sources are always available from the Tcl SourceForge project's file distribution area: http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=10894 Windows, Linux, Solaris and HP-UX binaries are available from: http://www.activestate.com/Tcl For additional information: --------------------------- Please visit the Tcl Developer Xchange web site: http://www.tcl.tk/ This site contains a variety of information about Tcl/Tk in general, the core Tcl and Tk distributions, Tcl development tools, and much more. Thank you for your contributions: --------------------------------- As usual, this release includes contributions from the Tcl community. We have a page honoring these contributors at: http...

TCL is not thread safer in TCL 8.3 or 8.4... Any plans to fix this?
It is a shame that I can't upgrade one of my applications due to this problem, though the memory leaks also intorduced in 8.3 and 8.4 are problem as well. :( I have a process that spawn a configurable number of thread with a TCL intrepeter in each one. The interps are isolated and do not communicate or share anything withe each other. Each thread is a rule processor that is handed TCL scripts based on what events occurs within a multi process enviroment rnaing across the whole itnerprize... Works great with TCL 8.2, not a single problem... But with TCL 8.3 and TCL 8.4 we get quite a few run time errors and/or data corruption and core dumps that all leads back to TCL. :( Quite a shame! cwhooks@landacorp.com wrote: > It is a shame that I can't upgrade one of my applications due to this > problem, though the memory leaks also intorduced in 8.3 and 8.4 are > problem as well. :( What are the bug report ID numbers of the issues giving you trouble? -- | Don Porter Mathematical and Computational Sciences Division | | donald.porter@nist.gov Information Technology Laboratory | | http://math.nist.gov/~DPorter/ NIST | |______________________________________________________________________| Don Porter <dgp@email.nist.gov> wrote: > cwhooks@landacorp.com wrote: >> It is a shame that I can't upgrade one of my applications due to this >> problem, though the memory leaks also intorduced ...

Bug789040 came back in Tcl 8.4.6 and Tcl 8.5.
Dear All, Bug 789040 caused exec error in Windows 9x and was fixed in 10/04/03. But it came back in Tcl 8.4.6 and Tcl 8.5. Tcl Windows 9x users should be alerted to the possible failure of exec in the current Tcl 8.4.6 and 8.5 releases due to this bug. Chengye Mao http://www.geocities.com/~chengye Chengye Mao wrote: > Bug 789040 caused exec error in Windows 9x and was fixed in 10/04/03. > But it came back in Tcl 8.4.6 and Tcl 8.5. Tcl Windows 9x users > should be alerted to the possible failure of exec in the current Tcl > 8.4.6 and 8.5 releases due to this bug. Have you identified at what point it was reintroduced? Was the fix causing other issues and reverted, or simply reintroduced by accident? -- Jeff Hobbs, The Tcl Guy http://www.ActiveState.com/, a division of Sophos Jeff Hobbs <jeffh@activestate.com> wrote in message news:<409EEDB5.40905@activestate.com>... > Chengye Mao wrote: > > Bug 789040 caused exec error in Windows 9x and was fixed in 10/04/03. > > But it came back in Tcl 8.4.6 and Tcl 8.5. Tcl Windows 9x users > > should be alerted to the possible failure of exec in the current Tcl > > 8.4.6 and 8.5 releases due to this bug. > > Have you identified at what point it was reintroduced? Was the > fix causing other issues and reverted, or simply reintroduced by > accident? Reintroduced in rev. 1.41 of tclWinPipe.c in Feb, 2004. The bug was a missing space between tclpip.dll and...

tcl/tk 8.5 side 8.4
Hello i run windows vista familiy. I code with Tcl/Tk 8.4 with no problem. I would like to know if i can install Tcl/Tk 8.5 to test certain new possibilities without un-installing Tcl/Tk 8.4 ? thank you for help jerome groupeCompteRendu@gmail.com wrote: > Hello > i run windows vista familiy. I code with Tcl/Tk 8.4 with no problem. > I would like to > know if i can install Tcl/Tk 8.5 to test certain new possibilities > without un-installing > Tcl/Tk 8.4 ? > thank you for help > jerome Yes -- +------------------------------------------------------------------------+ | Gerald W. Lester | |"The man who fights for his ideals is the man who is alive." - Cervantes| +------------------------------------------------------------------------+ ...

ANNOUNCE: Tcl/Tk 8.4.8 Release
Tcl/Tk 8.4.8 Release Announcement November 22, 2004 The Tcl Core Team is pleased to announce the 8.4.8 releases of the Tcl scripting language and the Tk toolkit. This is the eighth patch release of Tcl/Tk 8.4. More details can be found below. We would like to express our gratitude to all those who submit bug reports and patches. This information is invaluable in enabling us to identify and eliminate problems in the core. Where to get the new releases: ------------------------------ Tcl/Tk 8.4.8 sources are freely available as open source from the Tcl Developer Xchange web site at: http://www.tcl.tk/software/tcltk/8.4.html This web page also contains additional information about the releases, including new features and notes about installing and compiling the releases. Sources are always available from the Tcl SourceForge project's file distribution area: http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=10894 Windows, Linux, Solaris and HP-UX binaries are available from: http://www.activestate.com/Tcl Mac OS X binaries are available from: http://tcltkaqua.sourceforge.net/ Additionally, SuSE Linux RPMs are available from: ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/projects/tcl/ For additional information: --------------------------- Please visit the Tcl Developer Xchange web site: http://www.tcl.tk/ This site contains a variety of information about Tcl/Tk in general, the core Tcl and Tk distributions, Tcl development tools, and much more. Thank y...

ANN: Tcl-Tk-Aqua 8.4.14 "universal" installer for OS X
The Tcl/Tk "Universal" packages are distributions of the core Tcl/Tk libraries, plus the Tile theming extension, built to support the PPC and Intel architectures of the Mac OS X platforms. They can be downlaoded at http://tk-components.sourceforge.net/installer/index.html. OVERVIEW OF PACKAGES The Tcl/Tk "Universal" package for Mac OS X are based on the current version of Tcl/Tk at the time of this build, 8.4.14. The Tile extension is version 0.7.8. The packages support the native Aqua version. Aqua The "Aqua" package supports the native Mac windowing environment. It is useful for developing and deploying native Mac OS X applications. With the "Aqua" package, the following will be installed on your machine: *The Tcl and Tk frameworks will be installed in /Library/Frameworks. * The Tcl interpreter, tclsh, and the Tk interpreter, wish, will be installed in /usr/local/bin. *The Tile extension, which adds native Aqua theming to the Tk widgets, will be installed in /Library/Tcl. * The Wish application package will be installed in /Applications/Utilities. A standalone version of Wish, with the Tcl/Tk and Tile libraries embedded in the application package, will be installed in /Applications/Utilities/Wish-Embedded. This package is useful for deploying Tcl/Tk applications to end users.The Tcl/Tk "Universal" packages are distributions of the core Tcl/Tk libraries, plus the Tile theming extension, built to support...

Spinbox - TCL/Tk 8.4
spinbox was not supported in ruby 1.8.2 'cause it uses tcl/tk 8.3 which does not have spinbox. I got Tk spinboxes to work via a kludge. I stole a copy of tcl 8.4 and tk 8.4 from Python 2.4 and laid them onto Ruby 1.8.2. add the tcl8.4 folder and tk8.4 folders from python into the ruby lib folder (you can leave the original tcl 8.3 and tk 8.3 alone) put a copy of the tcl84.dll and tk84.dll from python into the ruby bin folder. rename your old copies of tcl83.dll and tk83.dll just in case rename the new tcl84.dll and tk84.dll to 83 and now tk 8.4 works with ruby ...

Strange difference between Tcl/Tk 8.4.12 and 8.5.0
Hi, there is a difference between etcl.exe Tcl/Tk 8.4.12 activestate tcl 8.5.0.0-beta-5 on the calc.tcl demo that comes with the etcl download. In 8.5: sqrt(2) --> 213562 ... (No problems with numbers that have non-negative integer square roots) 8.4 was fine. This is obviously not a problem with 8.5. Rather there is some difference between the parsers that is resulting in different arguments being sent to the sqrt function. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable can look at the calc.tcl demo. Regards bobsteel a �crit : > Hi, there is a difference between > > etcl.exe Tcl/Tk 8.4.12 > activestate tcl 8.5.0.0-beta-5 > > on the calc.tcl demo that comes with the etcl download. > > In 8.5: sqrt(2) --> 213562 ... > (No problems with numbers that have non-negative integer square roots) > 8.4 was fine. > > This is obviously not a problem with 8.5. Rather there is some > difference between the parsers that is resulting in different arguments > being sent to the sqrt function. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable can > look at the calc.tcl demo. > Reason is much simpler. It's because with 8.5, tcl_precision default to 0 (i.e. maximal precision) while it defaults to 12 with 8.4.x (eTcl or any other distrib). This calc.tcl demo in eTcl distrib is pretty simple (not to say trivial), and implicitely use this for number formatting, instead of explictely calling [format ...] to format displayed result. This can of course b...

Tcl/Tk 8.4.4 port to OpenBSD
Hello, I'm working on updating the port of Tcl 8.4.4 to OpenBSD. The existing port is based on 8.3 and some of the information seems a bit out of date. 1) The list of ftp sites/dirs where the ports system will try and find the Tcl/Tk sources, in this order: ftp://ftp.scriptics.com/pub/tcl/ ftp://mirror.neosoft.com/pub/tcl/mirror/ftp.scriptics.com/ ftp://sunsite.utk.edu/pub/tcl/ ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/languages/tcl/tcl/ ftp://ftp.cs.tu-berlin.de/pub/tcl/distrib/ ftp://ftp.srcc.msu.su/mirror/ftp.scriptics.com/pub/tcl/ ftp://ftp.lip6.fr/pub/tcl/distrib/ 2) The description of Tcl/Tk. From the OpenBSD porter's manual: "... a longer description of the port. One to a few paragraphs concisely explaining what the port does is sufficient. It is also advised to wrap your lines at 72 characters." ***The current Tcl description: This is Tcl8.4, an embeddable tool command language. The best way to get started with Tcl is to read ``Tcl and the Tk Toolkit'' by John K. Ousterhout, Addison-Wesley, ISBN 0-201-63337-X. A full set of manual pages is also provided with this package. ***The current Tk description: This is Tk version 8.4, a GUI toolkit for Tcl. The best way to get started with Tcl is to read ``Tcl and the Tk Toolkit'' by John K. Ousterhout, Addison-Wesley, ISBN 0-201-63337-X. A full set of manual pages is also provided with this package. 3) COMMENT. From the OpenBSD porter's manual: "COMMENT is a SHORT one-line description ...

Tcl SOAP
OK - Believe it or not, I have a "requirement" to use SOAP! The last time I worked with this, it did not work at all. So the following quesitons come to mind: Has it improved any - and it is working on Tcl 8.4.1 or later? Anyone using it for connecting to Web Services? Anyone using it to provide Web Services? I will immediately need to connect to a Web Service using SOAP (this is the "only" option), and then later provide Web Services via Apache (1.3 likely, but will migrate to 2.0x if necessary). Any guidance or suggestions would be most welcomed! Dave In article <e45f1db4.0405281105.8d1b86e@posting.google.com>, Dave Bigelow <davidhbigelow@simplifiedlogic.com> wrote: >OK - > >Believe it or not, I have a "requirement" to use SOAP! > >The last time I worked with this, it did not work at all. So the >following quesitons come to mind: > >Has it improved any - and it is working on Tcl 8.4.1 or later? >Anyone using it for connecting to Web Services? >Anyone using it to provide Web Services? > >I will immediately need to connect to a Web Service using SOAP (this >is the "only" option), and then later provide Web Services via Apache >(1.3 likely, but will migrate to 2.0x if necessary). > >Any guidance or suggestions would be most welcomed! > >Dave Short answer: yes. What does "immediately" mean to you? What platforms interest you? I'm working with t...

upgrade problem tcl/tk-8.4 -> 8.5 -- please help
Hi, unfortunately I have next to no knowledge in Tcl. When upgrading from Tcl/Tk-8.4.* to 8.5.3 an error occurs in an old script (tkdiff+) I get unmatched open brace in list unmatched open brace in list while executing "foreach {pattern dummy1 dummy2} $content { if {$pattern == $data(v:status:pattern)} { set content [lreplace $content $i $i [clock format [clock s..." where $content contains (many lines removed) /Src/Src/Tcl/tkdiff-4.1.3-unix|/Src/Src/Tcl/tkdiff-4.1.4-unix {Sat Mar 08 16:20:58 CET 2008} { directory:. none directory:.. none file:COPYING none file:Changelog nok file:tkdiff nok file:tkdiff.bck none } /home/jarausch/Python_My/BackUp_X|/numa-i/home/jarausch/Python_My/BackUp_OLD {Tue May 20 14:39:37 CEST 2008} { directory:. none directory:.. none file:AFS_Launch.C none file:BackUp.Config none directory:jarausch ...

Strange Problem with ActiveState Tcl 8.4 in MAC OS X 10.4
http://home.comcast.net/~kilowattradio/tcltkmac_osx1.jpg http://home.comcast.net/~kilowattradio/tcltkmac_osx2.jpg In Mac OS X 10.4.11 I am having a problem with ActiveTCl's 8.4 graying out certain .TCL files when I try to select a source file when running wish in the GUI. Please see the links above to see the grayed out file names. I am trying to load bcd396t.tcl source file but that is grayed out. I have tried changing the first few lines of the file that had some bash scripting in them. And translated the text from mac to unix and even tried windows code with the same results. It seems to occur after I edit a .tcl file and save it. The other normal tcl files that I can select have not been edited. If I run the bcd396t.tcl file from /usr/local/bin/wish bcd396t.tcl it works fine and there are no errors. I don't have any problems in Win32 XP/Vista or Linux Fedora/Ubuntu either. I just can't figure out what is graying out the file on Mac OS X. Does anyone have any ideas? -- Best Regards, Keith kilowattradio at gmail.com Keith wrote: > http://home.comcast.net/~kilowattradio/tcltkmac_osx1.jpg > http://home.comcast.net/~kilowattradio/tcltkmac_osx2.jpg > > In Mac OS X 10.4.11 I am having a problem with ActiveTCl's > 8.4 graying out certain .TCL files when I try to select > a source file when running wish in the GUI. > > Please see the links above to see the grayed out file names. > > I am trying to load bcd396...

[ANN] Registration open && 2nd Call For Papers
Hello comp.lang.tcl, fyi ... 22nd Annual Tcl/Tk Conference (Tcl'2015) http://www.tcl.tk/community/tcl2015/ October 19 - 23, 2015 Comfort Suites Manassas 7350 Williamson Blvd, 20109 Manassas, Virginia, USA Important Dates: [[ Attention! Registration is open! Please have a look at http://www.tcl.tk/community/tcl2015/register.html ]] Abstracts and proposals due August 24, 2015 Notification to authors August 31, 2015 WIP and BOF reservations open July 27, 2015 Author materials due September 28, 2015 Tutorials Start October 19, 2015 Co...

ANNOUNCE: Tcl/Tk 8.4.4 rpms with thread 2.5.2 extension
You may find the specification file, that you can use to build the rpm binaries on your Redhat (Suse may also work) system at: http://jfontain.free.fr/tcltk-8.4.4-1.spec To build, download the Tcl/Tk 8.4.4 and Thread 2.5.2 sources from http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/tcl/ into your /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/ directory, place the specification file in your /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/ directory, then from that directory, type: # rpmbuild -bb --clean tcltk-8.4.4-1.spec Note: you may change the installation directory and turn on the thread extension at the beginning of the specification file. Jean-Luc Fontaine (http://jfontain.free.fr/) ...

ANNOUNCE: Tcl/Tk 8.4.8 rpm specification with thread 2.5.2 extension
http://jfontain.free.fr/tcltk-8.4.8-1.spec Generated and tested on an up-to-date Red Hat Fedora Core 3 i386 system. The rpms can install under /opt/tcltk (see notes below) in order not to conflict and peacefully coexist with the stock Redhat Tcl and Tk rpms. To build the rpms, download the Tcl/Tk 8.4.8 and Thread 2.5.2 sources from http://download.sourceforge.net/tcl/ into the /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/ directory, place the specification file in the /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/ directory, then from that directory, type: # rpmbuild -bb --clean tcltk-8.4.8-1.spec Notes: - You may change the installation directory and turn on the thread extension at the beginning of the specification file. -- Jean-Luc Fontaine mailto:jfontain@free.fr http://jfontain.free.fr/ ...

Problem with Tcl/Tk 8.4
Hi, I know that Tcl/Tk is already at version 8.5.10 but, I am afraid, I am stuck with version 8.4 for this project. When trying to use 8.4 in a current Linux I first get an error about the MouseWheel event, but I got around it putting the offending lines in a catch. But then the 'open file' dialog doesn't work, looks like the 'Select' event in the listbox doesn't work. Anyone knows if there is a fix or workaround for this? Thanks, Andr=E9s Στις 11/10/2011 12:45, ο/η Andres Garcia έγραψε: > Hi, > > I know that Tcl/Tk is already at version 8.5.10 but, I am afraid, I am > stuck with version 8.4 for this project. > > When trying to use 8.4 in a current Linux I first get an error about > the MouseWheel event, but I got around it putting the offending lines > in a catch. > > But then the 'open file' dialog doesn't work, looks like the 'Select' > event in the listbox doesn't work. > > Anyone knows if there is a fix or workaround for this? > > Thanks, > Andrés Can you post the error messages you get with MouseWheel? George > > Can you post the error messages you get with MouseWheel? When starting up wish8.4: Application initialization failed: Can't find a usable tk.tcl in the following directories: /home/andres/Documents/bin/lib/tk8.4 /home/andres/Documents/bin/ lib/tk8.4 /home/andres/Documents/lib/tk8.4 /home/andres/Documents/bin/ library /home/andres/Docum...

Web resources about - mktclapp & Tcl/Tk 8.4.x - comp.lang.tcl