Packaging tcl packages.

I'm writing tclets which are mostly structured as package requires and glue.
This structure seems to cause a problem: to be up-loadable by browsers a tclet
has to be a monolithic block containing all necessary code.  This raises two
questions:

Does a tclet have to be a self-contained monolith?  My experiments suggest so:
two separate tclet up-loads are isolated from one another and can't share code,
which seems sensible with respect to safety.  I also haven't figured out how to
the the tcl equivalent to the Java codebase attribute (although I probably
don't understand what codebase is supposed to do).

The second question is: assuming a monolithic structure, is there a tool around
that can create the monolith?  It doesn't seem like too difficult a shell
script to write, but dealing with browser-resident errors that result from
subtle monolithifying issues isn't my idea of a good time.

0
rvclayton (11)

R. Clayton wrote:
> I'm writing tclets which are mostly structured as package requires and glue.
> This structure seems to cause a problem: to be up-loadable by browsers a tclet
> has to be a monolithic block containing all necessary code.  This raises two
> questions:
>
> Does a tclet have to be a self-contained monolith?  My experiments suggest so:
> two separate tclet up-loads are isolated from one another and can't share code,
> which seems sensible with respect to safety.  I also haven't figured out how to
> the the tcl equivalent to the Java codebase attribute (although I probably
> don't understand what codebase is supposed to do).
>
> The second question is: assuming a monolithic structure, is there a tool around
> that can create the monolith?  It doesn't seem like too difficult a shell
> script to write, but dealing with browser-resident errors that result from
> subtle monolithifying issues isn't my idea of a good time.

tclets do not need to be a singular monolith, but the default strict
level of tclet security does require it because it allows no other
communication.  The default is likely to change in the future, but
the user can already set up their configuration to allow any kind of
security levels, where the tclet can request them.

--
   Jeff Hobbs, The Tcl Guy
   http://www.ActiveState.com/, a division of Sophos

Why are packages in TCL?
Hi all, I was just thinking why "package" command was introduced in TCL. Every code control and naming collision prevention can be achieved by "namespace" command itself. Then why is the "package" command really needed ? Partha sarathy schrieb: > Every code control and naming collision prevention can be achieved > by "namespace" command itself. Then why is the "package" command really > needed ? The package mechanism includes elastic versioning (e.g. require 8.3, get 8.4) and shared lib loading. While every package should live in one namespace of the same name (not all do - e.g. BWidget creates four, to wit - % packa re BWidget 1.4.1 % namespace children :: ::Widget ::auto_mkindex_parser ::BWidget ::GlobalVar ::BWIDGET ::pkg ::msgcat :: tk ::vfs ::tcl ), namespaces can also be put to other uses, e.g. classes or objects for OO systems. sarathy wrote: > Hi all, > I was just thinking why "package" command was introduced in > TCL. Every code control and naming collision prevention can be achieved > by "namespace" command itself. Then why is the "package" command really > needed ? Packages do not address name space collision, they address loading of both binary and tcl files. -- +--------------------------------+---------------------------------------+ | Gerald W. Lester | |"The...

Tcl packages
Is there a summary of all tcl packages and what they do any where? I often come across a package that provides functionaility I need after I've gone and developed that functionality myself. I generally have a preference for using published packages rather than developing my own code because I feel the published package will be more thouroughly tested that some code I wrote this morning. I recall from my small dabble with java that I though the biggest challenge wan't writing the code, it was knowing what classes already exist and how to use them. Is tcl becoming like this? Th...

tcl aes package
I want to AES encrypt 128 data field, which is read in as 32 hex chars, with a 256 bit key, also read in as 64 hex chars. I've even tried copying the example from http://tcllib.sourceforge.net/doc/aes.html i.e. >> % set nil_block [string repeat \\0 16] % aes::aes -hex -mode cbc -dir encrypt -key $nil_block $nil_block but I get a diferent answer of 64 hex chars, not 32!! set nib [string repeat \\0 16] \0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0 (bin) 10 % aes::aes -hex -mode cbc -dir encrypt -key $nib $nib 4813adc31f481edc7df47497ff72432e2b3c06216a8b8562f963b5410c028c89 Can...

XDelta package for TCL
A unofficial patched version of XDelta3 binary diff compression package is available on http://downloads.sourceforge.net/tcldbrcs/xdelta30q-prepatched-tcl.tar.gz?use_mirror=osdn supports a simple but flexible callback interface to feed/extract data to/from the compressor. TCL Examples included. Jean-Samuel Gauthier ...

Tcl packages for Fedora
After much annoyance with having to install various Tcl extensions on a handful of machines manually, I decided to build RPM packages and submit them to Fedora Extras instead. Currently, Fedora Core contains tclx, expect, and blt, while Fedora Extras contains tktable. Fedora Core 1 used to have tcllib-1.7, but it was dropped in Fedora Core 2 and later. But now, after a lengthy review process, Fedora Extras has more: tcllib-1.8 tklib-0.4.1 tclxml-3.1 tclhttpd-3.5.1 Now anyone running Fedora Core 4 can install the extensions with: yum install tcllib yum install tklib yum install tclxml yum install tclhttpd I've got a few more packages in the pipeline awaiting approval: itcl-3.2.1 (includes itk) itcl-iwidgets-4.0.1 tcldom-3.1 ....and a couple more that I'm still packaging: itcl-3.3 RC tclpro (including the debugger, checker, and compiler) --Wart I'd be curious to know if you have reported as bugs the specifics of the annoyances you encountered to the various extension authors. Larry W. Virden wrote: > I'd be curious to know if you have reported as bugs the specifics of > the annoyances you encountered to the various extension authors. The main annoyances were having to run wget+configure+make install to download/configure/build each package. In a few cases there were issues building the software on x86_64 due to /usr/lib64 not being in the search path for tclConfig.sh. In these cases I sent patches upstream for the extension authors. --Wart...

Regarding TCL Packages
Hi Friends, I need to write a script which needs to operate GUI. Do you know "IXIA"? I want to enter values in the drag and drop boxes of IXIA and I need to use that IXIA but all these should be done by TCL only . Please help and tell me is there any package to write scripts to have communication with GUIs. Regards, Anil A Kumar In article <c474df17-0c53-4926-87df-8ff62715dc88@1g2000pre.googlegroups.com>, anil_ec1 <401anil@gmail.com> wrote: >Hi Friends, > >I need to write a script which needs to operate GUI. Do you know >"IXIA"? I want to enter values in the drag and drop boxes of IXIA and >I need to use that IXIA but all these should be done by TCL only . > > >Please help and tell me is there any package to write scripts to have >communication with GUIs. . . . Ixia is interesting. I've had only the most distant contact with Ixia, and it might well be that no one reading comp.lang.tcl this particular week knows it any better than I; in that case, you're simply out of luck, and the only recourse you have, to the best of my knowledge, is to work with Ixia itself. Which product do you have in mind? Are you working with IxExplorer? I'm reasonably certain that, yes, it's possible to automate data entry in this and other Ixia products, but I don't have manuals, and you don't appear to have the experience in Tcl to understand the ones presumably licensed for your use. Yes, there ...

TCL Package path
Hi, I have two sets of libraries. Aparently another team which is handling regression needs to use older version but I need latest versions. The newer versions are not backward compatible. So, when I put new versions there, tcl always gets the new version, even after changing the diretory name. Tried different methods like "package forget...", renaming directories but nothing worked. Every time the latest packages are sourced. Finally decided to keep only the copy required by regression team. Now, it is working fine for them. Now, I need to get the latest versions but on the same automation tree path. but now tcl loads old versions. Did try setting auto_path and tcl_pkgPath but no use. Please let me know how to set the package path so that I can the latest packages gets loaded from user specified path. Thanks, N. Jinesh On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 jineshnag@gmail.com wrote: > I have two sets of libraries. Aparently another team which is handling > regression needs to use older version but I need latest versions. The > newer versions are not backward compatible. So, when I put new versions > there, tcl always gets the new version, even after changing the diretory > name. Do the two versions happen to share the same major version number? (If the newer one isn't backwards compatible it really ought to have a > major version number than the old one.) You can have both packages live happily together if you [package require] a specific m...

ftp.tcl package
Is there away to send site specific commands using the ftp.tcl package? I am needing to set the record length, block size, and record format for a file that will be sent to an IBM s390 mainframe. Phil C. wrote: > Is there away to send site specific commands using the ftp.tcl package? > I am needing to set the record length, block size, and record format > for a file that will be sent to an IBM s390 mainframe. Not currently -- but feel free to add them in and contribute the code back. Better yet, volunteer to maintain/enhance the package. Phil C. wrote: > Is there away to send site specific commands using the ftp.tcl package? > I am needing to set the record length, block size, and record format > for a file that will be sent to an IBM s390 mainframe. > Try TclCurl. Allows native FTP commands. http://personal1.iddeo.es/andresgarci/tclcurl/english/docs.html Phil C. wrote: > Is there away to send site specific commands using the ftp.tcl package? > I am needing to set the record length, block size, and record format > for a file that will be sent to an IBM s390 mainframe. I was able to use the existing ftp.tcl package to accomplish setting the record length, block size, and record format by using the ftp::Quote proc. set ftpRemoteSiteInfo {LRECL=226 BLKSIZE=23278 RECFM=FB} if {[catch {ftp::Quote $SESSION SITE [lindex $remoteFTPSiteInfo 0]} err]} { echo "Unable to set $remoteFTPSiteInfo on remote host\n$err" return 2...

Tcl packages up for takers
Hi, I have less time for Tcl hacking these days and am looking to unload some of the packages I maintain for Debian. I will keep maintaining them if no one steps forward, but I thought I'd at least try... tclparser tclxml mysqltcl tkcon tclsoap tclthread tcldom tdom tclvfs gdtclft tclexpat libtk-img (Img extension) This might also be an opportunity for any Tcl folks interested in getting involved with Debian, so the newsgroup is CC'ed. Thanks, -- David N. Welton Personal: http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/ Free Software: http://www.dedasys.com/freesoftware/ Apache Tcl: http://tcl.apache.org/ Photos: http://www.dedasys.com/photos/ ...

Tcl package jpeg
Hi, I would like to use the jpeg package. What I have to dwonload and how I have to install in oder to use this package ? Below my piece of code : package require Tcl package require jpeg foreach f [glob *.jpg -type f] { array unset exif array set exif [::jpeg::getExif "$f"] set dt $exif(DateTimeDigitized) regsub -all {\:} $dt {} dt regsub -all {\ } $dt {_} dt append dt {_} $f puts $dt } Thanks for your help, I'm lost with this new TCL release... Bruno. bruno.bazille@yahoo.fr wrote: > Hi, I would like to use the jpeg package. What I have to dwonload and > how I have to install in oder to use this package ? Below my piece of > code : > package require Tcl > package require jpeg > > foreach f [glob *.jpg -type f] { > array unset exif > array set exif [::jpeg::getExif "$f"] > set dt $exif(DateTimeDigitized) > regsub -all {\:} $dt {} dt > regsub -all {\ } $dt {_} dt > append dt {_} $f > puts $dt > } > > Thanks for your help, I'm lost with this new TCL release... You need to install tcllib -- http://tcllib.sf.net/ to get the jpeg library. This should be installed if you have ActiveTcl, or you can use teacup to install it. Also, you want [glob -types f *.jpg] -- the options come before the patterns. -- Neil ...

Tcl Package question
Is there a way to list all procedure/function APIs that are available in a giving package that users can use. No, the internal api won't get listed. Thanks. On Apr 21, 5:33 am, quynhvan...@gmail.com wrote: > Is there a way to list all procedure/function APIs that are available > in a giving package that users can use. No, the internal api won't get > listed. Thanks. The only way I can think of is to compare [info commands] before and after loading the package: set before [info commands] package require Tk set tkcommands [info commands] foreach x $before { if {[set i [lsearch -exact $tkcommands $x]] != -1} { set tkcommands [lreplace $tkcommands $i $i] } } puts $tkcommands quynhvanmac@gmail.com wrote: > Is there a way to list all procedure/function APIs that are available > in a giving package that users can use. No, the internal api won't get > listed. Thanks. Not really. If the package uses a namespace, then you can load it and call [namespace export] and [info commands] to get a list of commands that are exported: proc exported ns { set pats [namespace eval $ns { namespace export }] set cmds [list] foreach pat $pats { lappend cmds {*}[info commands $ns\::$pat] } return [lsort -unique $cmds] } (Use 'eval lappend cmds [...]' instead of {*} in 8.4). -- Neil quynhvanmac@gmail.com schrieb: > Is there a way to list all procedure/function APIs that ar...

installed packages in Tcl
Hi All, I would like to know which extensions do i have installed for the tcl interpreter I have. what command to type or what correct path to look in. thanks in advance. On Apr 26, 1:32 pm, shady.abdelwa...@gmail.com wrote: > Hi All, > > I would like to know which extensions do i have installed for the tcl > interpreter I have. what command to type or what correct path to look > in. > > thanks in advance. Type "package names". On Apr 27, 6:45 am, Aric Bills <aric.bi...@gmail.com> wrote: > On Apr 26, 1:32 pm, shady.abdelwa...@gmail.com wrote: > > > Hi All, > > > I would like to know which extensions do i have installed for the tcl > > interpreter I have. what command to type or what correct path to look > > in. > > > thanks in advance. > > Type "package names". thank you Aric, it worked fine. But how about the paths of those extensions? I can't find them in the lib directory. On Apr 26, 2:00 pm, shady.abdelwa...@gmail.com wrote: > thank you Aric, > it worked fine. But how about the paths of those extensions? I can't > find them in the lib directory. The $auto_path variable contains the list of directories whose subdirectories Tcl searches for packages. Aric I tried: echo $auto_path, but i received the following message: auto_path: Undefined variable. any help? On Apr 26, 5:26 pm, shady.abdelwa...@gmail.com wrote: > I tried: echo $auto_path, but i rece...

A package to parse Tcl code?
Hi all, Is there a package/code/command that will help me parse a piece of tcl code, without executing it? What I want to do is to locate all commands inside a piece of code, and add a prefix infront of each command (also inside if/for/foreach/switch, etc.) George At Thu, 01 Jul 2010 19:19:43 +0300 Georgios Petasis <petasis@iit.demokritos.gr> wrote: > > Hi all, > > Is there a package/code/command that will help me parse a piece of tcl > code, without executing it? > What I want to do is to locate all commands inside a piece of code, and > ...

Registration of loaded packages in Tcl
L.S. Two unexpected results occur when importing packages which load compiled code: 1. When doing [package forget], the entry of the corresponding shared library is not removed from what's returned by [info loaded]. 2. After having done [package forget], and issuing again [package require], an error message is returned: "can't find package ..." An example session that exercises the above sequence for Tkhtml and Tktable is appended to this message. Is the behaviour as it should be? Thanks in advance for any explanation, Erik Leunissen ============== Example Tcl session: --------------- % info loaded {{} Tk} % package require Tkhtml 2.0 % info loaded {/usr/lib/tk8.4/../libtk8.4.so Tk} {/usr/local/lib/Tkhtml2.0/libTkhtml2.0.so Tkhtml} {{} Tk} % package forget Tkhtml % info loaded {/usr/lib/tk8.4/../libtk8.4.so Tk} {/usr/local/lib/Tkhtml2.0/libTkhtml2.0.so Tkhtml} {{} Tk} % package require Tkhtml can't find package Tkhtml % package require Tktable 2.8 % info loaded {/usr/local/lib/Tktable2.8/libTktable2.8.so Tktable} {/usr/lib/tk8.4/../libtk8.4.so Tk} {/usr/local/lib/Tkhtml2.0/libTkhtml2.0.so Tkhtml} {{} Tk} % info loaded {/usr/local/lib/Tktable2.8/libTktable2.8.so Tktable} {/usr/lib/tk8.4/../libtk8.4.so Tk} {/usr/local/lib/Tkhtml2.0/libTkhtml2.0.so Tkhtml} {{} Tk} % package forget Tktable % info loaded {/usr/local/lib/Tktable2.8/libTktable2.8.so Tktable} {/usr/lib/tk8.4/../libtk8.4.so Tk} {/usr/local/lib/Tkhtml2.0/libTkhtml2.0.so Tkhtml}...

Tcl Threads and static packages
All, Started playing with the Tcl Thread package. I see how to initialize the new threads via either ::thread::eval ... or ::ttrace::eval ... However, I'm limited by an executable that doesn't allow shared libraries (I know, I know, I wish it were different). My question is, how can I get the newly created threads to load up the static packages (via Tcl_StaticPackage, or direct calls to Package_Init routines). I took at the look to Tcl_CreateThread, and though it seems possible I could call that directly, but after seeing what the Threads package does (using its own defined routine NewThread), I don't clearly see how I'd be able to create a new thread that looks and feels like one created by the Thread package (other than by hacking up our own copy of Thread). For the record, Tcl is compiled with TCL_THREADS, and the packages I'm interested in using are just sqlite3 (self-described as thread safe) and ITcl (thread safe as well), and possibly a library of my own (better be thread safe). I'm using Tcl 8.4, Thread 2.6.3. thanks, TJ On 14 Mai, 20:48, bigfaceworm <bigfacew...@gmail.com> wrote: > All, > > Started playing with the Tcl Thread package. I see how to initialize > the new threads via either > > ::thread::eval ... > > or > > ::ttrace::eval ... > > However, I'm limited by an executable that doesn't allow shared > libraries (I know, I know, I wish it were different). >...

TCL - Snack
Hi, I am looking to use the Snack package for playing sounds for a project and I can't seem to get around the error message which appears in the Linux console when executing 'package require snack'. I've tried to catch the error message using the command, but 'value' ends up holding the version number of snack (2.2). catch [package require snack] value Environment: Tcl v8.4.19 Tk v8.4.19 Snack v2.2 RedHat Linux 6.3 (VM) - no sound card My goal is to catch this at the beginning of the script before being able to load and use it. Thanks, Jon ...

Unix, Tcl packages, installation
I don't know if I form it correctly :) I tried to find out last time, how to get just a group of packages for Tcl for unix. When I installed ActiveState's Tcl on Windows, I got a lot of packages (being happy with both Itcl and Expect). I didn't install tcl on Unix, so I don't know, how it has been installed (admins did that), but I can't access, for example, Itcl. There is a library (.a) in required path, but it can't be loaded (can it really load an .a library? Docummentation says it is possible). The error message says "Invalid argument". How should I install Tcl with additional packages (many of those, which are available in ActiveTcl), such as Itcl (on unix)? -- // _ ___ Michal "Sektor" Malecki <sektor(whirl)kis.p.lodz.pl> \\ L_ |/ `| /^\ ,() <ethourhs(O)wp.pl> // \_ |\ \/ \_/ /\ C++ bez cholesterolu: http://www.intercon.pl/~sektor/cbx Sektor van Skijlen wrote: > I tried to find out last time, how to get just a group of packages for Tcl for > unix. When I installed ActiveState's Tcl on Windows, I got a lot of packages > (being happy with both Itcl and Expect). I didn't install tcl on Unix, so I > don't know, how it has been installed (admins did that), but I can't access, > for example, Itcl. There is a library (.a) in required path, but it can't be > loaded (can it really load an .a library? Docummentation says it is possible). > The...

Using Tcl code in my own package?
In the latest release of a Tcl package I have been developing I have "borrowed" about 25-40 ines (depending on how it is measued!!) of code from the ttk combobox.tcl script. While this constitutes a very small part of my package (which is covered by a license based very closely on the normal Tcl license), I assume I will need to include a note of this fact in the package/documentation. I'm just wondering what kind of wording the Tcl developers would consider proper for me to use? Many Thanks, =Adrian= And once more with the spelling corrected... In the latest release of a Tcl package I have been developing I have "borrowed" about 25-40 lines (depending on how it is measured!!) of code from the ttk "combobox.tcl" script. While this constitutes a very small part of my package (which is covered by a license based very closely on the normal Tcl license), I assume I will need to include a note of this fact in the package/documentation. I'm just wondering what kind of wording the Tcl developers would consider proper for me to use? Many Thanks, =A0 =A0=3DAdrian=3D On 18 Oct, 07:35, Adrian Davis <adr...@satisoft.com> wrote: > I'm just wondering what kind of wording the Tcl developers would > consider proper for me to use? While it is very nice that you want to acknowledge us in your documentation, you don't have to. You only need to put that in the actual source code that you've borrowed, and it's probabl...

Web resources about - Packaging tcl packages. - comp.lang.tcl

Advanced Packaging Tool - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
0.9.9.2 / July 17, 2013 ; 13 months ago ( 2013-07-17 ) There has been an apt program since version 1.0; apt is a collection of tools distributed ...

Debbie Weil - author, speaker, marketing strategist, content packaging, self-publishing, e-books
What comes after blogging? Hint: my new company, Voxie Media! Big Ideas, Short Books™ for business authors.

Britannia Packaging (@BritanniaPack) on Twitter
Log in Sign up You are on Twitter Mobile because you are using an old version of Internet Explorer. Learn more here Britannia Packaging @ BritanniaPack ...

Shyp - Shipping on Demand: Pickup, Packaging and Delivery Tracking on the App Store on iTunes
Get Shyp - Shipping on Demand: Pickup, Packaging and Delivery Tracking on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews. ...

Amazon Packaging - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Explore Nic Taylor Photography's photos on Flickr. Nic Taylor Photography has uploaded 592 photos to Flickr.

Decapping ICs (removing epoxy packaging from chips to expose the dies) - YouTube
I thought it would be interesting to try decapping some chips. This involves using fuming nitric acid, which also seemed fun, so I thought I ...

Tobacco industry claims on impact of plain packaging go up in smoke
One of Australia's biggest tobacco companies has been accused of lying after it claimed plain packaging of cigarettes has had "no impact" in ...

Cigarette plain-packaging finds favour in New York
Cigarette plain-packaging finds favour in New York

Target store displays video games in cigarette-style plain packaging
South Australian Target believes it is acting in accordance with state rules on R18+ video games, and the weirdest part is it might be right. ...

Coca-Cola made packaging that converts into a free Google Cardboard-style VR viewer [Video]
... everyone in the country with a free Google Cardboard-style VR viewer if the above experiment turns into reality. The project envisions packaging ...