problem with "file executable" on windows, tcl 8.5.2

ActiveState TCL 8.5.2, Windows XP SP2

'file executable' always returns 0, even on .exe and .bat when asked
for a file on a network share:

    % info patchlevel
    8.5.2

    % set file L:/ralf/si++aegis/si++.4.0.C443/bin/winnt/gen.exe
    L:/ralf/si++aegis/si++.4.0.C443/bin/winnt/gen.exe
    % file exists $file
    1
    % file readable $file
    1
    % file executable $file
    0

    % file executable {L:/ralf/si++aegis/si++.4.0.C443/bin/winnt/simenu.bat}
    0

However, when copying the files to local disk, the files are qualified
as executable:

    % cp L:/ralf/si++aegis/si++.4.0.C443/bin/winnt/simenu.bat d:/temp
    % file executable d:/temp/simenu.bat
    1
    % cp L:/ralf/si++aegis/si++.4.0.C443/bin/winnt/gen.exe d:/temp
    % file executable d:/temp/gen.exe
    1

Also:
    % set argv0
    D:/Programme/tcl/bin/tclsh85.exe
    % file executable $argv0
    1

The L:/ Network Share is an Samba share mounted from a linux box.
Are there any special requirements for the smb options?

Thanks
R'
0
ralfixx (1283)

Ralf Fassel said on 24/04/2008 21:21:
> ActiveState TCL 8.5.2, Windows XP SP2
>
> 'file executable' always returns 0, even on .exe and .bat when asked
> for a file on a network share:

> The L:/ Network Share is an Samba share mounted from a linux box.

I have opened a similar report some time ago for file readable on a
Samba share. Still open. See:

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1613456&group_id=10894&atid=110894

Interesting to see this kind of oddities still with 8.5.2

Francois
* Ralf Fassel <ralfixx@gmx.de>
| ActiveState TCL 8.5.2, Windows XP SP2
|
| 'file executable' always returns 0, even on .exe and .bat when asked
| for a file on a network share:

For the record:
Assigned tracker-id [ 1951574 ] on sourceforge.

R'
0
ralfixx (1283)

"::tcl::tm::UnknownHandler ::tclPkgUnknown msgcat 1.4" caused by replacing Tcl 8.4.1 with 8.5.7
In the blog http://planet.larrythecow.org/archives/2009-07-26.html "The Twouble with Tcl" Iain Buchanan shows that redefining OPEN proc leads to the errors similar to what I am getting - when I replaced Tcl 8.4.1 with Tcl 8.5.7. In my case I don't know the exact root cause though ... Any ideas how I should proceed with debugging this issue ? Thanks, Alex tclsh c:/Tornado/host/resource/hutils/tcl/makeSymTbl.tcl ppc tmp.o symTbl.c invalid command name "::tcl::tm::UnknownHandler" while executing "::tcl::tm::UnknownHandler ::tclPkgUnknown msg...

What's wrong with "fconfigure stdout -encoding utf-8" on windows in Tcl 8.5.10
With my built 8.5.10 I tried to issue command "fconfigure stdout - encoding utf-8" to tclsh on WinXP, the tcl prompt then was shown as two dots instead of percentage sign, C:\>tclsh85t.exe % fconfigure stdout -encoding utf-8 =E2=80=A5date The current date is: 11/29/2011 Tue Enter the new date: (mm-dd-yy) time The system cannot accept the date entered. Enter the new date: (mm-dd-yy) =E2=80=A5 =E2=80=A5 So wonder what's wrong with fconfigure on stdout? Is that the issue? On Nov 29, 7:46=C2=A0am, "wrena...@gmail.com" <wrena...@gmail.com> wrote: > With my built 8.5.10 I tried to issue command "fconfigure stdout - > encoding utf-8" to tclsh on WinXP, the tcl prompt then was shown as > two dots instead of percentage sign, > > C:\>tclsh85t.exe > % fconfigure stdout -encoding utf-8 > =E2=80=A5date > The current date is: 11/29/2011 Tue > Enter the new date: (mm-dd-yy) time > The system cannot accept the date entered. > Enter the new date: (mm-dd-yy) > =E2=80=A5 > =E2=80=A5 > > So wonder what's wrong with fconfigure on stdout? Is that the issue? Short answer: Yes. Longer answer: The encoding in Windows is not UTF-8 but one of cp.... flavors. Question: what did you expect that to do? Mark On 29/11/2011 06:59, Mark Janssen wrote: > Short answer: Yes. > Longer answer: The encoding in Windows is not UTF-8 but one of cp.... > flavors. Also, the code that writes to the (genuine) ...

"no such file or directory" when executing tcl file
Hi, new to TCL and hitting a road bump right out the gate. I just installed ActiveTcl 8.5 on my Windows XP SP2 machine. I made the following script and saved it as test.tcl: #!/usr/local/bin/tclsh puts stdout {Hello, Patrick!} When in the TCL command prompt, I type test.tcl and it gives me the error "couldn't execute ".\test.tcl": no such file or directory". I am in the correct directory so I'm pretty lost as to why it is saying this. Here are my exact steps: <open command prompt> H:\workspaces\tcl>tclsh85 % dir Volume in drive H is Data Volume Serial Number is 828C-6076 Directory of H:\workspaces\tcl 01/12/2009 05:23 PM <DIR> . 01/12/2009 05:23 PM <DIR> .. 01/12/2009 05:37 PM 31 test.tcl 1 File(s) 31 bytes 2 Dir(s) 41,173,749,760 bytes free % test.tcl couldn't execute ".\test.tcl": no such file or directory If someone could help fill in the blanks here, I'd appreciate it. Apparently I'm overlooking something obvious. Thanks, Patrick On Jan 13, 12:43=A0am, "Patrick H." <patri...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi, new to TCL and hitting a road bump right out the gate. I just > installed ActiveTcl 8.5 on my Windows XP SP2 machine. I made the > following script and saved it as test.tcl: > > #!/usr/local/bin/tclsh > puts stdout {Hello, Patrick!} > > When in the TCL command prompt, I type...

"Tcl/Tk 8.5 tutorial"
All the documentation at http://tcl.tk/man/ is available as *html.tar.gz except "Tcl/Tk 8.5 tutorial". Is there a reason or just an accident of history. I have ActiveTcl installed and its associated ActiveTclHelp8.6.chm . This trifocal wearing senior citizen finds it impossible to read comfortably. I prefer HTML as I have my browser configured for legibility. I wish to have the tutorial available on my machine. >=20 > I have ActiveTcl installed and its associated=20 > ActiveTclHelp8.6.chm . This trifocal wearing senior citizen finds=20 > it impossible to read comfortably. I prefer HTML as I have my=20 > browser configured for legibility. I wish to have the tutorial=20 > available on my machine. A solution is to put the pages on your PC using httrack : http://www.httrac= k.com/page/1/en/index.html. After installation and having given a "project = name" and the path of a directory of your choice ( ex : xyz ) just then po= int the address to http://tcl.tk/man/tcl8.5/tutorial/tcltutorial.html . Lau= nch it . At the end, it will last a few minutes, you will see a file "index= ..html" in "xyz" directory . And... just doubleclick and here you are... It is web copier that you can use for a set of pages. The default settings = are such that you will download the necessary pages, not all the website, w= hich is not legal I think.=20 Olivier. On 3/11/2016 9:18 AM, Olivier wrote: >>...

tcl 8.5.2 gives error on runtime arg "-c"
Hi. I'm getting this error when launching a tcl script from a shell with "-c some_argument" with tcl 8.5.2 Application initialization failed: bad window path name "some_argument" I've searched the manpage and several documentation sources and have not found any restrictions over supplying runtime flag/arguments. Is this a bug or a hidden feature? dewuf wrote: > Hi. I'm getting this error when launching a tcl script from a shell > with "-c some_argument" with tcl 8.5.2 > > Application initialization failed: bad window path name > "some_argument" > > I've searched the manpage and several documentation sources and have > not found any restrictions over supplying runtime flag/arguments. Is > this a bug or a hidden feature? see http://www.tcl.tk/man/tcl8.5/UserCmd/wish.htm use a -- to prevent the interp from even looking at the options Bruce On Feb 9, 2:36=A0pm, Bruce Hartweg <Bruce-DoNot...@example.com> wrote: > dewuf wrote: > > Hi. =A0I'm getting this error when launching a tcl script from a shell > > with "-c some_argument" with tcl 8.5.2 > > > Application initialization failed: bad window path name > > "some_argument" > > > I've searched the manpage and several documentation sources and have > > not found any restrictions over supplying runtime flag/arguments. =A0Is > > this a bug or a hidden featu...

Installer &quot;Source file settings&quot;, &quot;VI Settings&quot; problem in 8.2
I have just upgraded from LabVIEW 8.0 to 8.2 and it seems the Installer "Source file settings", "VI Settings" check boxes no longer have any affect on the built application. &nbsp; For example, if I un-check the "Show Menu Bar" boxes for my Main.vi and build, when I run the built application the Main.vi Menu Bar is visible. &nbsp; It seemed to work as expected with 8.0 though. &nbsp; Any help and suggestions are much appreciated. &nbsp; Aaron Hi Seamus, Thanks for that and I look forward to hearing from you again Aaron ...

3 problems with "A small editor in 8.5.0" ( http://wiki.tcl.tk/20542)
I'm using Tcl/Tk 8.6.4 under WinXP Pro. Problem 1. I don't see any where to specify desired font. There is a code fragment saying ----------- proc textfenster {mframe {master {}}} { if {$master eq {}} { text [set mframe].t -bg white -xscrollcommand [ ---------------------------- which I edited to be ----------- proc textfenster {mframe {master {}}} { if {$master eq {}} { text [set mframe].t -font "Courier 20" -bg white -xscrollcommand [ ---------------------------- It made no difference. Problem 2. Although moving the butto...

Open File as "child" in "parent" window #2
Hello - Working in VB6.0 I am attempting to open a file with its default application in a MDI. In other words, I am trying to develop a "parent" window which holds all of the "child" windows of my application. Currently I am using the openfile dialog to retrieve a filename and then I am trying to open the selected file in its default application (e.g., .doc with Word and .pdf with Adobe), where the default application opens within my parent window. Is this possible? And, if it is, how do I accomplish this? I can get a chosen file to open with the default a...

XPS 8.2 "UPDATE Tcl procedures"?
Hi, all. Can anyone tell me what "Running UPDATE Tcl procedures for OPTION PLATGEN_SYSLEVEL_UPDATE_PROC..." means, and what platgen actually does to the .tcl files? I'm wondering if this could be the cause of an issue I'm having with BRAM instances. Before, I could run a Base System with 1 or more MicroBlazes with any available size Local Memory each, and no other extra peripherals or software (merely for testing purposes), and it would build the bitstream just fine. Now, XPS generates this error with the same Base System straight from the Wizard (ML310 board v2p30ff896-6, ...

Using "source" vs "package require" for Tcl application files
I would like to divide my Tcl application into separate files. Should I generally use "source" to combine the files, or should I use the package mechanism (package provide, package require, etc.)? What is the generally accepted practice? Thanks, Gregg On 30 dec, 01:04, GB <g...@invalid.invalid> wrote: > I would like to divide my Tcl application into separate files. Should I > generally use "source" to combine the files, or should I use the package > mechanism (package provide, package require, etc.)? > > What is the generally accepted practice? > > Thanks, > > Gregg IMHO use [source]. My reasoning: - The package mechanism is meant for getting access to general-purpose libraries, installed directly under the Tcl installation. - You talk of source files for your own application. So I would expect these files to reside in a directory containing that application. Then [source] is easier to use - and you guarantee that you get the source files from your application (otherwise a random package with the same name from the installation could interfer, if you are not careful with the library path) - Using [source] also makes it clear that these files are meant for your application only, not for more general purposes. Regards, Arjen Arjen Markus wrote: > On 30 dec, 01:04, GB <g...@invalid.invalid> wrote: >> I would like to divide my Tcl application into separate files. Should I >> gen...

Any way to install a later "build" of 10.5.2 over 10.5.2 "GM"?
Hi all... My 10.5.2 load set is based on the 10.5.2 GM -- 9C31. We got a new MacBook Pro that has 10.5.2 9C2028 -- a later build of 10.5.2 (containing the CD/DVD Sharing among other stuff...) When "later" builds of the same version of 10.4.x came out, we were able to use Carbon Copy Cloner to copy over the GM version load set of 10.4.x (any version), then boot from the "later build but same version number" DVD and do an "upgrade" install over the GM version of 10.4.x 10.5 is not letting me do this. The installer is reporting that the hard...

Problem with "Skip file types" in "Find Files".
I would like to search for text files based on some texts. And I want to exclude svn file (i.e. *.svn-base). So I add the extension .svn-base in "Skip file types" and expect Matlab "Find Files" GUI to skip the svn files. However, "Find Files" still returns the svn file. I think "Find Files" has problem with this kind of filename, eg. "abc.c.svn-base". Is it treating "c.svn-base" as extension? However, I try out the Matlab function FILEPARTS and it works fine. >> [pathstr, name, ext, versn] = fileparts('abc.c.svn-base') ...

"SAMBA Client for OS/2" solves problems with old "File and print client"
I've done a quick test with beta 2 of SAMBA Client for OS/2 from <http://samba.netlabs.org/>. My fileserver is a Linux Red Hat system, my client is an eCS 1.1 system. The first impression is very good! The SAMBA client for OS/2 solves at least two irritating problems I have experienced with "File and print client" when accessing the SAMBA shares on this Linux system. With "File and print client" Lotus 1-2-3 (and some other apps) are not able to create new files, even if editing and saving existing files works ok. Picture-files with thumnails create...

"string map" Probleme in tcl 8.4 mit Umlauten?
Seit Jahren setze ich TCL als integrierte Skript-Sprache in einer Softwarel=F6sung ein (Microsoft Windows, MFC-Anwendung). Vor kurzem bin ich von TCL 8.3.5 auf TCL 8.4.14 umgestiegen. Mit dieser Version bekommen wir aber Probleme, da sich das Verhalten des Kommandos "string map" ge=E4ndert hat. Beispiel: set a "=E4=F6=FC" set x [string map {. ,} $a] x enth=E4lt dann "=C3=A4=C3=B6=C3=BC". Der String wird dabei offensichtlich= in Unicode umgewandelt, wo TCL 8.3 den String noch unver=E4ndert lie=DF. In der Shell (tclsh84.exe) wird die Umsetzung aber noch genauso wie unter TCL 8.3 vorgenommen, also unver=E4ndert gelassen. Die Initialisierung in der MFC-Anwendung ist vergleichbar zu der der TCL-Shell: Tcl_SetDefaultEncodingDir( ... ); Tcl_FindExecutable( ... ); interp =3D Tcl_CreateInterp(); Auch das Einf=FCgen der Zeile setlocale(LC_ALL, "C"); wie sie von der main() Funktion der TCL-Shell verwendet wird, l=F6st das Problem nicht. Es besteht zwar die M=F6glichkeit, die TCL-Skripte wie folgt anzupassen: set a "=E4=F6=FC" set x [encoding convertfrom identity [string map {. ,} $a]] ..=2E. aber erstens m=FCsste ich dann sehr sehr viele Skripte anpassen und zweitens habe ich Sorge, dass auch andere String-Funktionen unbemerkt solche Unicode-Umwandlungen vornehmen. Es w=E4re mir also wichtig, den Interpreter dazu zu bringen, sich genauso zu verhalten, wie die TCL- Shell. Innerhalb von Tcl sin...

Using "Open with" in windows to process a file with a tcl/tk scripts?
I have the following problem in windows 2000. I have written a TCL/TK script which process xml files. Now I will like to be able select the xml file using the windows file manager and use "open with" to startup the tcl/tk scripts and pass the xml file as argument. When I do this now I get an error telling that the xml file is not a valid win32 application. Any ideas of how to do this? Thanks in advance Hello, You should enter something similar to: c:\path\to\wish.exe "C:\path\to\xmleditor.tcl" "%1" Regards, -- Ramon Rib� http://gatxan.cimne.u...

TCL 8.5.6 invalid command name "clock"
Hello, I running a c++ application with an Tcl 8.5.5. interpreter. Now I try to update TCL to version 8.5.6. While running the application with TCL 8.5.6 I get the following error: invalid command name "clock" while executing "clock seconds" Is there something I might have overseen, or is this a bug in version 8.5.6. Thank you for help in advance. Kind Regards sindbad0815@googlemail.com wrote: > I running a c++ application with an Tcl 8.5.5. interpreter. Now I try > to > update TCL to version 8.5.6. While running the application with TCL > 8.5.6 I get the following error: > > invalid command name "clock" > while executing > "clock seconds" > > Is there something I might have overseen, or is this a bug in version > 8.5.6. Within that program, what value is returned from the Tcl_Init() call? -- | Don Porter Mathematical and Computational Sciences Division | | donald.porter@nist.gov Information Technology Laboratory | | http://math.nist.gov/~DPorter/ NIST | |______________________________________________________________________| On 16 Mrz., 16:38, Don Porter <d...@nist.gov> wrote: > sindbad0...@googlemail.com wrote: > > I running a c++ application with an Tcl 8.5.5. interpreter. Now I try > > to > > update TCL to version 8.5.6. While running the application =A0with TCL > > 8.5.6 I get the following e...

Problem with memory when using "threads" with Perl 5.8 on Windows System
I am working on a multi-threaded server for a Windows 2000 system and since "fork" doesn't work that great in a Win32 environment, I am trying to use use the "threads" module instead. When a thread is complete, the handle and thread are removed but the memory used when the thread was initially created does not appear to be released. Any new threads created afterward will grab new memory on top of where the previous left off. This is a problem because what I am trying to do is create a new thread with each new client connection, and then remove the thread when the clie...

Tcl 8,5 tutorial errata on page "More Examples Of Regular Expressions"
Hi, In the Tcl 8.5 tutorial, a page titled "More Examples Of Regular Expressions" may contain errata in the following Tcl code: " set string "Again and again and again ..." if { [regexp {(\y\w+\y).+\1} $string => word] } { puts "The word $word occurs at least twice" } " You can see that the command 'regexp' sets a value into a variable called '=>'. This can be proved by executing the following code: " set string "Again and again and again ..." if { [regexp {(\y\w+\y).+\1} $string => word] } { puts "The word $word occurs at least twice" } upvar #0 "=>" x puts "$x" " I guess that the author meant to write something else? It doesn't make sense to have a variable named "=>". Here's a link to the relevant page in the tutorial: http://www.tcl.tk/man/tcl8.5/tutorial/Tcl20a.html Thank you. On Tuesday, 12 November 2013 08:43:08 UTC+11, dor...@gmail.com wrote: > Hi, >=20 >=20 >=20 > In the Tcl 8.5 tutorial, a page titled "More Examples Of Regular Expressi= ons" may contain errata in the following Tcl code: >=20 >=20 >=20 > " >=20 >=20 >=20 > set string "Again and again and again ..." >=20 > if { [regexp {(\y\w+\y).+\1} $string =3D> word] } { >=20 > puts "The word $word occurs at least twic...

missing "lappend" from tcl 8.4.2.0 help .chm
I just noticed this tonight when I went to cross reference the windows help on lappend ,with the Brent Welch's 4th edition text.I'm sure this was fixed in newer releases. Love the book ,it's lighter with thinner pages ,the 3rd ed got me started ,now the 4th ed is THE tcl book ! keep em coming Brent ,nice to see Jeff Hobbs credited on this one too ,thanks. NeuroS wrote on 06/08/03: > err if you do a search you will find it , > 'Built-In Commands - lappend manual page. > just not listed in with other list cmds. That is very confusing. lappend should be listed ...

Windows 8 -- "disjointed" "schizophrenic"
The conclusion of the article on Windows 8... ~~ There are two franchises about which most folks who have known me for any duration of time will conclude I am a loyal fan, despite all the headaches and the miserable episodes. But between Windows 8 and the 2009 Star Trek movie, it is the latter which displays the greatest continuity with its predecessors. And that is saying something. There is a new, vast, and potentially loyal group of users who are just now being introduced to a higher plane of technology by way of tablets and multitouch PCs. If Microsoft seriously intends to meet these new users with a schizophrenic, disjointed, loose assembly of dead ends that is anywhere near the state of the current Windows 8 Consumer Preview, then it will lose those users and it will never get them back. This is where the future of Windows either finally comes together or completely falls apart. ~~ http://snipurl.com/22nmew7 What a mess. -- RonB Registered Linux User #498581 CentOS 5.7 or VectorLinux Deluxe 6.0 or Linux Mint 10 RonB wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties: > The conclusion of the article on Windows 8... > > ~~ > There are two franchises about which most folks who have known me for any > duration of time will conclude I am a loyal fan, despite all the headaches > and the miserable episodes. But between Windows 8 and the 2009 Star Trek > movie, it is the latter which displays the greatest continuity with its > pre...

Problems with 3.5"
Hi, I've bought the adapter DT-327A from a local store in Barcelona because I need to connect the hard disk of my IBM ThinkPad 750E to my desktop's computer to format it because my laptop came with no floppy nor cdrom drive. The problem is that my desktop's BIOS detects the hard disk but when I enter windows, linux or ms-dos, it says it's not present. I can't access it with fdisk nor fdisk /mbr. The adapter has 2 jumpers but there're no instructions so I don't know where's the problem. Thank you in advance for your help! PS: I've tried to put i...

problem on startup: File error: "Cannot open load file", "xfonts"
Hi everybody I just installed the newest emacs testing as emacs package. after starting it with emacs --debug-init I get the error Debugger entered--Lisp error: (file-error "Cannot open load file" "xfonts") require(xfonts) byte-code("��!������@��!��!A��B\"� B��B\"�@��B\"A@*�A�B��!�C���\"��!�FBF��!���\"��!��!I�VH�V��!��!�K%N�!!R�#\"\"\"\"\"S\"!!�\"!!\"!\" �=��Q �=����# �=��Q��\n� � !� ! �\f!\f�\f \"��\f #� a.s.o. The require(xfonts) is in the .gnu-e...

Problem with TDBC in Tcl 8.6.0: version conflict for package "TclOO"
Hi, I've got a problem with Tcl 8.6.0. I tried to run my tcls-script, but received the following error: version conflict for package "TclOO": have 0.7, need 1.0.1 while executing "load c:/tcl_x86/lib/teapot/package/win32-ix86/lib/tdbc_mysql1.0.0/tdbcmysql100.dll tdbcmysql" ("package ifneeded tdbc::mysql 1.0.0" script) invoked from within "package require tdbc::mysql " (file "myscript.tcl" line 4) Looks like the problem is in tdbc. I have already tried to install another version of tdbc, but it didn't help. This problem occures only in 8.6.0 Tcl version. Can anybody help me? Am Montag, 21. Oktober 2013 15:38:51 UTC+2 schrieb gama...@gmail.com: > Hi, > > I've got a problem with Tcl 8.6.0. I tried to run my tcls-script, but received the following error: > > > > version conflict for package "TclOO": have 0.7, need 1.0.1 > > while executing > > "load c:/tcl_x86/lib/teapot/package/win32-ix86/lib/tdbc_mysql1.0.0/tdbcmysql100.dll tdbcmysql" > > ("package ifneeded tdbc::mysql 1.0.0" script) > > invoked from within > > "package require tdbc::mysql " > > (file "myscript.tcl" line 4) > > > > Looks like the problem is in tdbc. I have already tried to install another version of tdbc, but it didn't help. This problem occures o...

"cat <> file" and "echo "ddd" >&2 2>&1" questions
Hi All 1. what is "cat <> file" means? is that means read line ,echo to stdout ,and write back to file? but I think command should be "cat <>> file" which fails. 2. $echo "ddd" >&2 2>&1 ddd $echo "ddd" 2>&1 >&2 ddd $ which "fd" be used on earth? Is there any way to display what fd be used? like : $echo "ddd" 1:ddd thanks On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 20:56:32 +0800, Key9 wrote: > Hi All > > 1. > what is "cat <> file" means? > is that means read line ,echo to st...

Web resources about - problem with "file executable" on windows, tcl 8.5.2 - comp.lang.tcl