Program output to Tk text widget - no returns

We're kicking off a program (in this case rsync) in a script, and
showing its output in a text widget. I'm trying to figure out how to
get the output to display properly, since rsync overwrites the text on
the same line to give a file count progress (printf with no \n). The
output in the text box looks like this:

receiving file list...
100 files...
200 files...
300 files...

However if you run rsync from a command prompt those lines are
overwriting each other, "incrementing" the count.. How can I get it to
go the same way in the textbox? If the "\n" is removed below we end up
with

100 files... [] 200 files... [] 300 files...

On the same line. The [] represents a 'box' symbol being printed,
presumable the lf or cr?

The code to display the output is simply:

    set h [open "|$::RSYNC $options rsync://${source} ${dest}"]
    set ::childPid [pid $h]

    set msg "Syncing $client $version $module"
    wm title . "$::WINDOWTITLE - $msg"

    while {![eof $h]} {
      gets $h line
      .outputText insert end $line
      .outputText insert end "\n"
      .outputText see end
      update
    }

Frank Rachel wrote:

> We're kicking off a program (in this case rsync) in a script, and
> showing its output in a text widget. I'm trying to figure out how to
> get the output to display properly, since rsync overwrites the text on
> the same line to give a file count progress (printf with no \n). The
> output in the text box looks like this:
>
> receiving file list...
> 100 files...
> 200 files...
> 300 files...
>
> However if you run rsync from a command prompt those lines are
> overwriting each other, "incrementing" the count.. How can I get it to
> go the same way in the textbox? If the "\n" is removed below we end up
> with
>
> 100 files... [] 200 files... [] 300 files...
>
> On the same line. The [] represents a 'box' symbol being printed,
> presumable the lf or cr?
>
> The code to display the output is simply:
>
>     set h [open "|$::RSYNC $options rsync://${source} ${dest}"]
>     set ::childPid [pid $h]
>
>     set msg "Syncing $client $version $module"
>     wm title . "$::WINDOWTITLE - $msg"
>
>     while {![eof $h]} {
>       gets $h line
>       .outputText insert end $line
>       .outputText insert end "\n"
>       .outputText see end
>       update
>     }

Delete the line before the end in .outputText and then to your insert.

--
+--------------------------------+---------------------------------------+
| Gerald W. Lester               | "The man who fights for his ideals is |
Frank Rachel <frachel@navisys.com> wrote:
>Did some hacking and we pretty much got it working:
>
>proc updateConsole { h } {
>  if { ! [eof $h] } {
>
>    set line [read $h]
			.
			.
			.
This is a slightly fragile way to code I/O.  Does <URL:
http://phaseit.net/claird/comp.lang.tcl/fmm.html#eof >
make the situation clear?
--

Cameron Laird <claird@phaseit.net>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net

tcl/tk 8.4 text widget question
Hi! Can you help. I have a gui script that displays the output of commands as they are ran in a text widget with scroll bar. However, once the output goes past the height of the text widget, the text does not automatically scroll down. When the processing is complete, I have to scroll to the bottom to see the last few lines including the line where it says "Processing complete" Does anyone know how to fix this? Meg Cooper mulkey_mouse@cox.net wrote: > Hi! > Can you help. > I have a gui script that displays the output of commands as they are > ran in a text widget with scroll bar. However, once the output goes > past the height of the text widget, the text does not automatically > scroll down. When the processing is complete, I have to scroll to the > bottom to see the last few lines including the line where it says > "Processing complete" > > Does anyone know how to fix this? > Meg Cooper Try... $txt see end .... after you add each new line of text. Jeff Hey!! Thanks!! It worked like a charm. ---------- Forwarded message ---------- From: Jeff Godfrey <jeff_godf...@pobox.com> Date: Feb 25, 12:32=A0pm Subject: tcl/tk 8.4 text widget question To: comp.lang.tcl mulkey_mo...@cox.net wrote: > Hi! > Can you help. > I have a gui script that displays the output of commands as they are > ran in a text widget with scroll bar. However, once the output goes > past the height of the text widget, the tex...

Tcl/Tk text widget article in Linux Journal
Linux Journal have just published an article I wrote on the Tk text widget. None of the seasoned veterans on c.l.t will learn anything from it, but newbies might find it useful. The information should apply to Windows users too. The link is: http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=7357&mode=thread&order=0 This is the first Tcl article (or indeed, any article) I've had published, so I'd welcome any constructive feedback - both on my writing and my Tcl coding. More importantly, this is the first Tcl based article that Linux Journal have published. When I made the original suggestion to the editor he asked why Tcl was better than Perl, Python and shell, which are the usual languages the magazine focuses on. I put forward gentle arguments and he agreed to give something Tcl-based a try. The magazine is now awaiting feedback to see if it is worth them running further Tcl articles. Putting that another way, there's a new opening for spreading the Tcl-word here. Linux Journal receiving page hits and comments from the Tcl community can only be a good thing, so hit the link! In article <400b35da$0$1753$5a62ac22@freenews.iinet.net.au>, Derek Fountain <nomail@hursley.ibm.com> wrote: . . . > http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=7357&mode=thread&order=0 > >This is the first Tcl article (or indeed, any article) I've had published, >so I'd welcome any constructive feedback - both on my writing and my Tcl ...

in Tcl/tk, How can I redirect stdout to a text widget?
I already wrote a tcl script. there are many output information sent to stdout in the script. Now I'm using TK to optimize this script, I hope to redirect all output information to a text widget, How can i do it? I tried to rediect output information to a file, it's OK. then I want to use "fileevent" command to trace the file's action and then send new information to a text widget. but system say that "filehandle cannot be read" error. I think that the reason should be the file is open for "w" and cannot be read. How can i do it? close stdout set file_a [open "testfile" "w"] fileevent $file_a readable Log # this Log procedure write information to a text widget. Any responses will be very appreciated. thanks. Hans Yin wrote: > > I already wrote a tcl script. there are many output information sent > to stdout in the script. Now I'm using TK to optimize this script, I > hope to redirect all output information to a text widget, How can i do > it? > > I tried to rediect output information to a file, it's OK. then I want > to use "fileevent" command to trace the file's action and then send > new information to a text widget. but system say that "filehandle > cannot be read" error. I think that the reason should be the file is > open for "w" and cannot be read. How can i do it? > > close stdout > set file_a [open ...

tk app, reading output from command and put it in a text widget
subject says it all. I have a button which launches and externcal command. I want to capture the output of that command and append it to my text area. Can I do this with events? Thanks, ~Shea M. From: Shea Martin <null@void.0> Subject: tk app, reading output from command and put it in a text widget Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 05:31:49 +0900 Message-ID: <XIW0f.104652$Ph4.3184945@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca> > I have a button which launches and externcal command. I want to capture > the output of that command and append it to my text area. Can I do this > with events? Hmm...

text in a widget, text-widget
hello i have an application with a couple of text widgets but i would like to add some functionalities that at first and second sight are not directly supported by the plain text widget itself - ? for example i would like certain lines of text within the textwidget to take different background colors according to certain parameters also i would like to be able to detect certain sentences or words that would become 'links' and by clicking them i would open up different windows any suggestions to solutions and widgets for the above problems ? - i probably could...

Text widget Tab behaviour in Tcl/Tk 8.5
Last October I noticed that there was a difference in the way text widget tabs are handled in Tcl 8.5 when compared with 8.4. Apparently this is a new feature - but I was told that an option will be added to allow the "old" style of tab behaviour (so that existing code will work properly). I was just wondering if there have been any developments in this area? Best Regards, =Adrian= Adrian Davis wrote: > Last October I noticed that there was a difference in the way text > widget tabs are handled in Tcl 8.5 when compared with 8.4. > > Apparently this is a new feature - but I was told that an option will > be added to allow the "old" style of tab behaviour (so that existing > code will work properly). > > I was just wondering if there have been any developments in this area? > > Best Regards, > =Adrian= I think the -tabstyle option accomplishes what you want. > I think the -tabstyle option accomplishes what you want. That's done the trick. Many Thanks, =Adrian= ...

E.J. Friedman-Hill's Tcl/Tk Course

1. Thank you everyone for your help. 2. Tcl/Tk Designer 3. Text Editor Widget
Hello CLT Thank you everyone that responds to my posts asking for info. I really appreciate it. At this stage of my tcl career I can ask many more questions than I can answer. Speaking of questions, here are a few more: 1. Is there a tcl/tk based user interface designer available? There has been no recent activity on VTCL, and SpecTcl looks even older. I am not averse to using VTCL. I would just prefer to use something that is being actively maintained. 2. Is there a text editor widget that I can drop into an application? I realize I could put something together with the text widget and perhaps ntext. The problem is that this editing feature is not the focus of my application. It adds value for sure. However I cannot spend much of my time there. Try ctext at http://wiki.tcl.tk/4134 /Ashok On Sep 16, 7:07 am, Kuberan Naganathan <kube...@att.net> wrote: > Hello CLT > > Thank you everyone that responds to my posts asking for info. I really > appreciate it. At this stage of my tcl career I can ask many more > questions than I can answer. > > Speaking of questions, here are a few more: > > 1. Is there a tcl/tk based user interface designer available? > There has been no recent activity on VTCL, and SpecTcl looks even > older. I am not averse to using VTCL. I would just prefer to use > something that is being actively maintained. > > 2. Is there a text editor...

Tkinter question: howto redirect text output (stdout) to Text widget?
hi all, could anyone post an example how to redirect text output (stdout) to Text widget? Thank you in advance, Dmitrey. ...

tk text widget
Hi, See tk 4.2 file tkText.c: Tcl_AppendResult(interp, "bad switch \"", arg, "\": must be -forward, -backward, -exact, -regexp, ", "-nocase, -count, or --", (char *) NULL); return TCL_ERROR; ..... } else if ((c == 'f') && (strncmp(argv[i], "-forwards", length) == 0)) { backwards = 0; ..... hm , must be "-forward" , but writed "-forwards" also: tk 7.x tk 8.4.x tk 8.5.x ...... and see tk 8.6 file tkText.c: static const char *const switchStrings[] = { "--", "-all", "-backwards", "-count", "-elide", "-exact", "- forwards", "-hidden", "-nocase", "-nolinestop", "-overlap", "-regexp", "-strictlimits", NULL }; ..... Tcl_AppendResult(interp, "bad switch \"", Tcl_GetString(objv[i]), "\": must be --, -all, -backward, -count, -elide, ", "-exact, -forward, -nocase, -nolinestop, -overlap, ", "-regexp, or -strictlimits", NULL); return TCL_ERROR; } ..... must be "-forward" , but writed "-forwards" must be "-backward" , but writed "-backwards" ---------------------------------------- ok next: Practical Programming in Tcl & Tk, Third Edition By Brent B. Welch Table 33-4 & Practical Programming in Tcl & Tk...

Re: text in a widget, text-widget @ 1146167556
Intrah onat Diria .. Tue, 25 Apr 2006 13:55:44 -0700 ,Van Nieuwenhuize, Mike wrote "Noalim y": > > Johan, > > Here this will give you an idea how to create a link in a text widget as > well as some other tags. > > HTH > > Mike > > use strict; > use Tk; > use Tk::Dialog; > > my $mainWindow = MainWindow->new(-title => "Test Tags"); > > my $sc_width = 100; > my $sc_height = 15; > > my $scrolled = $mainWindow->Scrolled( > ...

Re: text in a widget, text-widget @ 1145998849
Intrah onat Diria .. Tue, 25 Apr 2006 13:55:44 -0700 , ****** wrote "Revera y": > of "unsubscribe ptk" to majordomo@lists.stanford.edu > If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing list, send the message body > This message was posted through the Stanford campus mailing list server. > ++**=3D=3D > -++**=3D=3D--++**=3D=3D--++**=3D=3D--++**=3D=3D--++**=3D=3D--++**=3D=3D--= > > > > > ,=20 > , _________________ > , |---| > , | > , lead > , ::::::opthe > , oo,loent,uaha > , }, > ,...

RE: text in a widget, text-widget #2
Johan, Here this will give you an idea how to create a link in a text widget as well as some other tags. HTH Mike use strict; use Tk; use Tk::Dialog; my $mainWindow = MainWindow->new(-title => "Test Tags"); my $sc_width = 100; my $sc_height = 15; my $scrolled = $mainWindow->Scrolled( "Text", -scrollbars => 'se', -background => 'white', -wrap => &...

Problem with tk text widget in displaying Chinese characters, entry widget works fine.
Hi, There seems to be a problem with tk text widget. I am able to edit and see the chinese characters in both entry widget and text widget. When I move from one character to another using arrow key or mouse, it works fine in entry; But in text, it simply mess up. The problem could be that chinese characters are 2 bytes long and cursor moves 1 byte. The text interpreter might be combining the other byte of Chinese character with the 2 bytes of next chinese character. Do I have to change some setting for text widget and/ or install some patch? Thanks, Vikas Vikas Gupta schrieb: > Hi, > > There seems to be a problem with tk text widget. I am able to edit > and see the chinese characters in both entry widget and text widget. > When I move from one character to another using arrow key or mouse, it > works fine in entry; But in text, it simply mess up. > The problem could be that chinese characters are 2 bytes long and > cursor moves 1 byte. The text interpreter might be combining the other > byte of Chinese character with the 2 bytes of next chinese character. > Do I have to change some setting for text widget and/ or install some > patch? Please report your Platform / Window Manager and the Tcl/Tk version you use. Do you have a simple example script to demonstrate the problem? There should be no problem with character/byte borders visible, if it is, its a bug. Michael ...

YouTube Playlist: Tcl/Tk Object Oriented Programming Using Itcl (incr Tcl) Lessons
Hi. Like I promised you hours ago.. The playlist in English : https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLsAEIIjTPIo_1qeuc-rYwk0nxWAM38Dl_ The same playlist in Arabic : https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLsAEIIjTPIo_91kA-iUz_5XGNmHzivHBG Enjoy! On Saturday, January 17, 2015 at 4:04:21 PM UTC+2, Rani Ahmad wrote: > Hi. > > Like I promised you hours ago.. > > The playlist in English : > > https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLsAEIIjTPIo_1qeuc-rYwk0nxWAM38Dl_ > > The same playlist in Arabic : > > https://www.youtube.com/playli...

How to tie output to tk widget
hi all, I have a perl script which uses win32::process to create new process. I am using this to execute a executable program which would take around 15 mins to execute. I am tieng the output from STDOUT to Text widget. But the output of win32::process never shows up in the Text widget. But when i redirect it to a file. Win32::Process sends output to the file. I am stuck here please help. -Chandra ...

wrapper for Tcl/Tk programs
Hi, I am searching for a wrapper which makes applications distributable that I write. I have already tried prowrap and freewrap, but it seems that they do not work as I would expect. The main thing, that I want is that _all_ depended packages from the tcl lib directory (in my case that is C:/Tcl/lib) are included more or less automatically, so that there is no need to specify hundrets of extra arguments and write 1000 lines of extra code to hack the application until it works as a wrapped one. The latter is really painfull, especially if you want to wrap an application that you have not written all alone... It would be the most convenient way to do a simple "package require" for all the packages that are in the $TCLHOME/lib directory - similar to the way, the McMillan installer for Python apps works. Is there such an installer available somewhere? Thank you much in advance, Eckhard ;) Eckhard Lehmann wrote: > > Hi, > > I am searching for a wrapper which makes applications distributable > that I write. I have already tried prowrap and freewrap, but it seems > that they do not work as I would expect. The main thing, that I want > is that _all_ depended packages from the tcl lib directory (in my case > that is C:/Tcl/lib) are included more or less automatically, so that > there is no need to specify hundrets of extra arguments and write 1000 > lines of extra code to hack the application until it works as a > wrapped one. The lat...

How to capture text in tk widget
Hi, I have a tk text window. My need is - if I highlight some portion of text with mouse, it should automatically be saved into a variable. Please suggest me on how to do this. Thanks, Balajee On 28 apr, 13:13, balajee <balaj...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi, > =A0 =A0I have a tk text window. My need is - if I highlight some portion > of text with mouse, it should automatically be saved into a variable. > Please suggest me on how to do this. > > Thanks, > Balajee You need to set up a binding for the event that ends the selection, something along these...

Tcl/Tk as subordinate program.
Tcl was designed as a glue program. With the addition of Tk it has also become a gui programming language. But the assumption is that Tcl is the program that starts other programs. I have a series of programs which need the graphical capabilities of TK not as part of a main program but as a callable subroutine. This is the principle behind Perl/Tk. I would like a similar interface but not using Perl but rather C as the interface to Tk. The books describe in detail how to call a C program from Tcl/Tk but not the reverse, calling a Tcl/Tk entity from another program. Has anyone done this kind of work? Is there any such documentation? TIA -- John Culleton Able Indexers and Typesetters John Culleton wrote: > I have a series of programs which need the graphical capabilities of TK not > as part of a main program but as a callable subroutine. This is the > principle behind Perl/Tk. I would like a similar interface but not using > Perl but rather C as the interface to Tk. The books describe in detail how > to call a C program from Tcl/Tk but not the reverse, calling a Tcl/Tk > entity from another program. Has anyone done this kind of work? Is there > any such documentation? Tcl was originally designed with this in mind, so yes, it's possible - indeed, it works very well! The heart of what you want to do is Tcl_Eval, which will evaluate Tcl scripts (it just doesn't make sense to call Tk from C function by function). You also have to do some setup...

tabbing through Tk Text widgets
I've got a Tk window with a large number of Text widgets, and I'd like to have the TAB key move focus from one Text widget to the next. Unfortunately I can't find the recipe. Can anybody help? Peace Elaine Jackson wrote: > I've got a Tk window with a large number of Text widgets, and I'd like to have > the TAB key move focus from one Text widget to the next. Unfortunately I can't > find the recipe. Can anybody help? > > Peace See methods tk_focusNext & tk_focusPrev in http://www.pythonware.com/library/tkinter/introduction/x9374-event-processing...

Does Tk text widget support ligatures?
From the very little I've googled, it appears that ligature info (if supported by a particular font) is somehow embedded into a font--especially for some non-English languages. There are apparently a hand-full of ligatures defined for English unicode? \ufb00 thru \ufb06 is ff, fi, fl, ffi, ffl, ft and st Perhaps that's it. If I attempted to implement the above, but the font did not have the glyphs for some or all of the range fb00-fb06, is there a way I could tell? -- computerjock AT mail DOT com On 7/13/2015 10:45 PM, Dave wrote: > From the very little I&...

Anybody programming tcl/tk in CosmosScope here?
Hi, CosmosScope is a waveform viewer offered by Synopsys Inc. It is tcl/tk aware and has been extended with extra functions and is called AIM by Synopsys. I am desperately trying to find out how to get a list of waveform handles that I can use for further processing. -- Svenn <svenn.are@bjerkem.de> wrote > CosmosScope is a waveform viewer offered by Synopsys Inc. > It is tcl/tk aware and has been extended with extra functions > and is called AIM by Synopsys. I am desperately trying to > find out how to get a list of waveform handles that I can > use for further processing. I think I did that once. But I ended up saving a script that just referred to waveforms by their names (e.g., "v(2)"). Find the "aimref.pdf" document, and look up the pf: commands. I think you can get the number of waveforms from pf:info, and the waveforms are named something like WF:1. Bob -- Bob Techentin techentin.robert@NOSPAMmayo.edu Mayo Foundation (507) 538-5495 200 First St. SW FAX (507) 284-9171 Rochester MN, 55901 USA http://www.mayo.edu/sppdg/ svenn.are@bjerkem.de wrote in message news:<5fb00e69.0409210549.47f3a948@posting.google.com>... > Hi, > CosmosScope is a waveform viewer offered by Synopsys Inc. It is tcl/tk > aware and has been extended with extra functions and is called AIM by > Synopsys. I am desperately trying to find out how ...

Web resources about - Program output to Tk text widget - no returns - comp.lang.tcl

Program - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

$2.7 billion dental program likely to get the chop, say dentists
Federal Health Minister Sussan Ley is very likely to scrap the $2.7 billion child dental health program in the next budget, warn dentists.

Why Safe Schools program must be kept
Farrah Tomazin explains why keeping the Safe Schools program is a no-brainer.

Clive Palmer opens up about Queensland Nickel on ABC TV’s Insiders program - The Courier-Mail Search ...
CLUELESS Clive Palmer has no idea what approvals he needs to keep his Townsville refinery afloat and is dodging calls from State Government officials, ...

Bezos unveils his plans for space program
KENT, Wash. — Long before he ever conceived of the idea to sell books on the Internet, he was obsessed with space. It started at age 5 when he ...

Kasich, Cruz, Rubio Talk Tough on Foreign Workers Programs
Kasich, Cruz, Rubio Talk Tough on Foreign Workers Programs

An AI expert says Google's Go-playing program is missing 1 key feature of human intelligence
For the first time in history, a computer program is poised to beat one of the world's best human players at the 2,500-year-old game of Go — ...

Josh Duggar has left his faith-based sex rehab program after six months
... Josh’s general and specific awfulness. The Duggar family released a statement too: Josh has completed his residential rehabilitation program. ...

Top Republican unveils $98B in cuts to social programs
WASHINGTON (AP) — A senior House Republican is seeking to cut child tax credits for immigrants working in the U.S. illegally.

CSO50 2016: UN development program provides cybersecurity assistance
The CSO50 recognizes 50 security projects, taken on by 45 organizations, that demonstrate outstanding thought leadership and business value. ...