Q: Problem to compile Tcl 8.4.3 Solrais 8 with 64 bit support

Hello,

I have a problem to compile Tcl 8.4.3 .
I have installed gcc and cc but I have read that gcc don't support 64bit.
My problem is that I cannot run the "configure"
script successfully for 64bit support. Because the script found the gcc
I try to set the CC variable, but the "configure" script doesn't use the
variable.

Have someone an idea how can I solve the problem.

Best regards

    Falk

Falk von R�tel wrote:
> I have a problem to compile Tcl 8.4.3 .
> I have installed gcc and cc but I have read that gcc don't support 64bit.
> My problem is that I cannot run the "configure"
> script successfully for 64bit support. Because the script found the gcc
> I try to set the CC variable, but the "configure" script doesn't use the
> variable.

If you set CC=cc, then the configure script should pick it up just
fine (I do this all the time).  FWIW, gcc-3.2+ says that it support
sparc64 builds, but I still use SunPro cc instead.  Make sure that
you have the real, full SunPro cc installed, and not just the lame
cc wrapper that ships with all Solaris installs.

--
     Jeff Hobbs                     The Tcl Guy
     Senior Developer               http://www.ActiveState.com/

0
jeffh (1291)
7/18/2003 4:42:29 PM

Falk von R�tel wrote:
> I have a problem to compile Tcl 8.4.3 .
> I have installed gcc and cc but I have read that gcc don't support 64bit.
> My problem is that I cannot run the "configure"
> script successfully for 64bit support. Because the script found the gcc
> I try to set the CC variable, but the "configure" script doesn't use the
> variable.

You have to make sure that "setting" the CC var includes exporting
it so subprocesses pick it up.

--
     Jeff Hobbs                     The Tcl Guy
     Senior Developer               http://www.ActiveState.com/
         Tcl Support and Productivity Solutions

0
jeffh (1291)
7/22/2003 4:40:18 PM
Jeff Hobbs Said....
> Make sure that you have the real, full SunPro cc installed, and not just the > lame cc wrapper that ships with all Solaris installs.

I heard that! :)

Dave
Hello,

thank you, for your hints. I get it comiled tcl and tk.
But how can test it, that tcl/tk running 64 bit and the library are 64bit? I
start it from a shell or
need I some arguments to run tcl/tk 64bit?

Falk von R�tel wrote:
> thank you, for your hints. I get it comiled tcl and tk.
> But how can test it, that tcl/tk running 64 bit and the library are 64bit? I
> start it from a shell or
> need I some arguments to run tcl/tk 64bit?

If you are on 64-bit Solaris, it will all run normally whether it is
32-bit built Tcl or 64-bit built Tcl.  You can check for 64-bit
because 'clock' should work with 64-bit values only in the 64-bit
version, so the following should give a date beyond 2037 (test shown
on a Sol64 build):

% clock format [expr {wide(1)<<35}]
Mon Oct 25 19:46:08 PST 3058

That will fail on a 32-bit Solaris build (or any other 32-bit build
I would think).

--
     Jeff Hobbs                     The Tcl Guy
     Senior Developer               http://www.ActiveState.com/
         Tcl Support and Productivity Solutions

0
jeffh (1291)

Q: Is it possible to compile Tcl 8.4 for 64 bit SGI?
Hello Tcl user, is it possible to compiled Tcl 8.4 for SGI 64 bit or not. Must I create the make file manual or can a use the configure script for that? Best regards Falk Falk von R�tel wrote: > is it possible to compiled Tcl 8.4 for SGI 64 bit or not. > > Must I create the make file manual or can a use the configure script for > that? You should use the configure script with --enable-64bit. -- Jeff Hobbs, The Tcl Guy http://www.ActiveState.com/, a division of Sophos Am Sun, 12 Dec 2004 11:33:59 -0800 schrieb Jeff Hobbs: > Falk von R�tel wrote: >> is it possible to compiled Tcl 8.4 for SGI 64 bit or not. >> >> Must I create the make file manual or can a use the configure script for >> that? > > You should use the configure script with --enable-64bit. Hello Jeff, I use the option --enable-64bit but I don't get a 64 bit make file. This is the output from the configuration. Have you a tip what is not correct with the installation? csgi - ros - /SGI/extern/tcltk/tcl8.4.5/unix - (/bin/tcsh) 44>: configure --enable-64bit creating cache ./config.cache checking whether to use symlinks for manpages... no checking compression for manpages... no checking for gcc... no checking for cc... cc checking whether the C compiler (cc ) works... yes checking whether the C compiler (cc ) is a cross-compiler... no checking whether we are using GNU C... no checking whether cc accepts -g... no checking how to run the C p...

Problems compiling TCL\TK 8.4.12 on 64 bit
Hello all, I have downloaded the source files for TCL/TK 8.4.12 and am attempting to compile them on an HP xw9300 with an AMD Opteron running Windows XP 64. I am using Visual Studio 2003.net and the Microsoft Platform SDK for Windows Server 2003 SP1. When I open a window for the IA64 build environment and attempt to compile the code using: nmake /f makefile.vc MACHINE=IA64, I get many warnings and errors and the compilation fails. Seems as if the compiler switches have changed a good bit from VS 6.0. Any ideas or pointers? Thanks, Ben Bailey Raytheon bbailey@raytheon.com Your Name wrote: > I have downloaded the source files for TCL/TK 8.4.12 and am attempting > to compile them on an HP xw9300 with an AMD Opteron running Windows XP > 64. > > I am using Visual Studio 2003.net and the Microsoft Platform SDK for > Windows Server 2003 SP1. When I open a window for the IA64 build > environment and attempt to compile the code using: nmake /f makefile.vc > MACHINE=IA64, I get many warnings and errors and the compilation fails. > > Seems as if the compiler switches have changed a good bit from VS 6.0. > Any ideas or pointers? The Windows 64-bit build support in 8.4.12 is based on using VC6 with the latest platform SDK (which includes the full range of 64-bit compilers). As I'm avoiding moving beyond VC6, I can't say specifically what changes that entails. Pat Thoyts may have more info, as he provided the later MSVC versions patc...

problem about tcl 8.3 and 8.4
I need use a tcl8.3 program and it do not update now. I install it on Fedora5 which only has tcl8.4. Due to the const problem, I add the "#define USE_NON_CONST" before the inlude clause as the suggestion from "http://wiki.tcl.tk/3669". After that, this program can be complied. But when I want to run this program, there is an error :"Tcl_AppInit failed: window name "" already exists in parent". Could anyone kindly tell me whether this error is caused by the version problem or not? However other people install it on RedHat9 without such a problem (RedHat9 has tcl8.3). If this error is not caused by the version problem, is there any other cause? Any help is welcome. Thanks. binyorku@gmail.com wrote: > I need use a tcl8.3 program and it do not update now. I install it on > Fedora5 which only has tcl8.4. Due to the const problem, I add the > "#define USE_NON_CONST" before the inlude clause as the suggestion from > "http://wiki.tcl.tk/3669". After that, this program can be complied. > But when I want to run this program, there is an error :"Tcl_AppInit > failed: window name "" already exists in parent". > Could anyone kindly tell me whether this error is caused by the version > problem or not? However other people install it on RedHat9 without such > a problem (RedHat9 has tcl8.3). If this error is not caused by the > version problem, is there any other cause? Any help i...

Q: Problem to compilie Tcl/Tk 8.4.7 on HP-UX 64 bit
Hello Tcl User, I have a problem to compile tcl/tk on a HP-UX 11.00b with 64-bit I use the cc compiler. With tcl I have no problems. If I try to compile tk with 64-bit I get a linker error: ld: Mismatched ABI (not an ELF file) for -lX11 with 32-bit it works all fine on the machine. I add the compiler flag +DA2.0 +DS2.0a and I change the search path to -L/usr/lib/pa20_64 after this changes I get the the following error: ld: /usr/lib/pa20_64/libdld.sl: Mismatched ABI. 64-bit PA shared library found in 32-bit link. I has now no notion as I the error to repair can. Is it a problem with the machine, and how can I correct it. Someone can give me a tip? Best regards Falk Falk von R�tel wrote: > I have a problem to compile tcl/tk on a HP-UX 11.00b with 64-bit > I use the cc compiler. With tcl I have no problems. > > If I try to compile tk with 64-bit I get a linker error: > > ld: Mismatched ABI (not an ELF file) for -lX11 > > with 32-bit it works all fine on the machine. Perhaps you don't have 64-bit X11 libraries to compile against? > I add the compiler flag +DA2.0 +DS2.0a and I change the search path to > -L/usr/lib/pa20_64 > > after this changes I get the the following error: > > ld: /usr/lib/pa20_64/libdld.sl: Mismatched ABI. 64-bit PA shared library > found in 32-bit link. Again, it looks like some component isn't fully 64-bit compiled. -- Jeff Hobbs, The Tcl Guy http://www.ActiveState.com/, a div...

TCL is not thread safer in TCL 8.3 or 8.4... Any plans to fix this?
It is a shame that I can't upgrade one of my applications due to this problem, though the memory leaks also intorduced in 8.3 and 8.4 are problem as well. :( I have a process that spawn a configurable number of thread with a TCL intrepeter in each one. The interps are isolated and do not communicate or share anything withe each other. Each thread is a rule processor that is handed TCL scripts based on what events occurs within a multi process enviroment rnaing across the whole itnerprize... Works great with TCL 8.2, not a single problem... But with TCL 8.3 and TCL 8.4 we get quite a few run time errors and/or data corruption and core dumps that all leads back to TCL. :( Quite a shame! cwhooks@landacorp.com wrote: > It is a shame that I can't upgrade one of my applications due to this > problem, though the memory leaks also intorduced in 8.3 and 8.4 are > problem as well. :( What are the bug report ID numbers of the issues giving you trouble? -- | Don Porter Mathematical and Computational Sciences Division | | donald.porter@nist.gov Information Technology Laboratory | | http://math.nist.gov/~DPorter/ NIST | |______________________________________________________________________| Don Porter <dgp@email.nist.gov> wrote: > cwhooks@landacorp.com wrote: >> It is a shame that I can't upgrade one of my applications due to this >> problem, though the memory leaks also intorduced ...

bind <Shift-something> does not work under XF 4.3 tcl 8.3.5, ActiveState 8.4.3
I have tried the following script, under XFree86-4.3.0-2 both with RedHat 8 and 9, either with the native RH tcl 8.3.5 and with the ActiveState tcl 8.4.3 distributions. In all these platform combinations, the binding of <Shift-* does not work. For example, for Shift-F1, I get XF86_Switch_VT_1 (see xmodmap dump below), but the binded script is not triggered. However, the script works fine under Windows, with the same tcl distributions. Any hint? pack [entry .a] bind .a <Shift_L> {puts "hello, Shift"} bind .a <Shift-F1> {puts "hello, Shift-F1"} bind .a <Shift-Tab> {puts "hello, Shift-Tab"} bind .a <Control_L> {puts "hello, Control"} bind .a <Control-F1> {puts "hello, Control-F1"} bind .a <Control-Tab> {puts "hello, Control-Tab"} xmodmap -pk There are 4 KeySyms per KeyCode; KeyCodes range from 8 to 255. KeyCode Keysym (Keysym) ... Value Value (Name) ... 8 9 0xff1b (Escape) 10 0x0031 (1) 0x0021 (exclam) 11 0x0032 (2) 0x0022 (quotedbl) 12 0x0033 (3) 0x00b7 (periodcentered) 13 0x0034 (4) 0x0024 (dollar) 14 0x0035 (5) 0x0025 (percent) 15 0x0036 (6) 0x0026 (ampersand) 16 0x0037 (7) 0x002f (slash) 17 0x0038 (8) 0x0028 (parenleft) 18 0x0039 (9) 0x0029 (parenright) 19 0x0030 (0) 0x003d (equal) 20 0x0027 (apostrophe) 0x003f (question) ...

Q: speed open call Tcl 8.3 vs 8.4
Hello, why is the performence to open files over a network in Tcl 8.4 many more slowly than with Tcl 8.3 If I open many files over a Windows Network it is very slow. It is possible to activate the old open mechanism from Tcl 8.3? or exists another solution for this problem? Best regards, Falk Falk von R�tel <falk.von.roetel@web.de> wrote in message news:<8n93nw7cqugb.b9gidqjy0tim.dlg@40tude.net>... > Hello, > > why is the performence to open files over a network in Tcl 8.4 many more > slowly than with Tcl 8.3 > > If I open many files over a Windows Network it is very slow. > It is possible to activate the old open mechanism from Tcl 8.3? or > exists another solution for this problem? > > Best regards, > > Falk We had the same problem. Using ntfilemon.exe from sysinternals.com shows quite a lot of file access. (source file -> 1 access for every directory part !) It seems a result of calling "file normalize" in the C-Code of TCL. After commenting out those calls in "source" and "open" ntfilemon shows only some hundreds entries instead of some thousands !!! There were no problems since now after commenting out this calls. Don't know why they are in ... Am 24 Apr 2004 04:32:51 -0700 schrieb Uwe Traum: > of file access. (source file -> 1 access for every directory part !) > It seems a result of calling "file normalize" in the C-Code of TCL. do you mean the c...

Compiling Tcl 8.4.8
Just finish compiling Tcl 8.4.8 in WinXP. It produced few more files that 8.2, like tcl84s.lib, tclsh84s.exe.. What are those letter after the version number mean?? In this case, the 's' after 84. I was not be able get any info by searhing google... Can anyone please point me to a place where we I can understand those letter means... I think it means "static". I suppose these libs can be used for embedding tcl into other applications, without depending on the tcl dlls. George "Ming" <chung.ming.chan@gmail.com> wrote in message news:83573a77.0412011235.46e835bd@posting.google.com... > Just finish compiling Tcl 8.4.8 in WinXP. > It produced few more files that 8.2, like tcl84s.lib, tclsh84s.exe.. > > What are those letter after the version number mean?? > In this case, the 's' after 84. > > I was not be able get any info by searhing google... > > Can anyone please point me to a place where we I can understand those > letter means... ...

compiling Tcl 8.4 as 64 bit it is possible? or there are the trick
Hello Tcl User, I have still the problem with Tcl and 64 bit. It is only possible to compile it with a specific environment? or have I only problems? I have compiles Tcl 8.4.14 on Windows XP x64 with this options: "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Platform SDK\SetEnv.Cmd" /XP64 nmake -f makefile.vc MACHINE=AMD64 I get some warnings and I cannot create the help files, this is not a problem. All files was created. I can start the tclsh84.exe with no problems, but I cannot start the wish84.exe I get the following error message: "This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem" In the dependency viewer from the visual studio I found the reason. The dll doesn't found: dwmapi.dll Have some one a hint where can I found this dll or where the problem is. I use the SDK: Windows Server 2003 R2 Platform SDK Best regards Falk falk.von.roetel@web.de writes: >Hello Tcl User, > >I have still the problem with Tcl and 64 bit. It is only possible to >compile it with >a specific environment? or have I only problems? > >I have compiles Tcl 8.4.14 on Windows XP x64 with this options: > >"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Platform SDK\SetEnv.Cmd" /XP64 >nmake -f makefile.vc MACHINE=AMD64 > >I get some warnings and I cannot create the help files, this is not a >problem. All files was created. > >I can start the tclsh84.exe wi...

tcl 8.4.4 change in behavior with WriteChars over 8.3.x
Can I get some input on the following problem: Tcl_WriteChars() no longer returns the correct number of bytes written to an output stream on Unix (I am running on a Sun Ultra30 with Solaris9, but it looks like the issue is generic to Unix. My brief Inspection of the tcl code shows that the actual return value is never checked for this routine, however, except for being non-negative. However, I am using tcl as an embedded shell in a C++ program which directs its output stream through a Tcl_Channel and uses Tcl_WriteChars as a replacement for the unix write() call, which returns the number of bytes written to the output device. It would be desirable to keep this emulation if possible. Exact problem: A string of the form \n<content>\n (of size N) gets represented by TranslateOutputEOL (tclIO.c, l.3107) as (ctrl-M)\n<content>(ctrl-M)\n which has size N+2 My previous version, tcl8.3.2 returned the value N as expected. Any comments appreciated. Cheers, Ben Dorman -- ============================================================ Dr Ben Dorman, Lead Programmer/Analyst, L-3 Com EER Systems XSPEC Development and Technical Support Laboratory for High Energy Astrophysics, NASA/GSFC Building 6/S124, Code 600.1, NASA/GSFC, Greenbelt MD 20771 ben.dorman@gsfc.nasa.gov Tel: 301-286-9261 Fax: 301-286-1498 http://xspec.gsfc.nasa.gov http://lheawww.gsfc.nasa.gov/users/dorman/xspec12 [posted and mailed] Ben Dorman <ben.dorman@gsfc.nasa.gov> wrote in...

Will Ruby 1.8.2 include tcl/tk 8.4.x instead of 8.3?
Will Ruby 1.8.2 release come with tcl/tk 8.4.7 libraries? Thanks. Hi, From: "H. Simpson" <nospam@asdlkfjhasldkjfsadlfhskadjfahsldfks.com> Subject: Will Ruby 1.8.2 include tcl/tk 8.4.x instead of 8.3? Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 17:01:40 +0900 Message-ID: <HwmPc.1858$Z56.480@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com> > Will Ruby 1.8.2 release come with tcl/tk 8.4.7 libraries? Is that a binary package of Ruby 1.8.2 ? If you say about source files, Ruby/Tk can work with Tcl/Tk8.4.7. I already tested that Ruby/Tk works with Tcl/Tk8.4.7 and 8.5a1 (and ActiveTcl-8.4.6.1 binary package). U...

Build 32-bit Tcl 8.4 under Fedora 64-bit
Hi, We have a product that we need to link with some 32-bit libraries on a 64-bit system; I've successfully done this on Ubuntu by adding some configure flags "--disable-load --disable-shared --disable-64bit CFLAGS="-m32"; after I do that then the make, the "files" command shows: tcl8.4/unix/tclsh: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.15, not stripped But when I try the same flags under Fedora (fc13) I still get a 64-bit build: tcl8.4/unix/tclsh: ELF 64-bit LSB executab...

"::tcl::tm::UnknownHandler ::tclPkgUnknown msgcat 1.4" caused by replacing Tcl 8.4.1 with 8.5.7
In the blog http://planet.larrythecow.org/archives/2009-07-26.html "The Twouble with Tcl" Iain Buchanan shows that redefining OPEN proc leads to the errors similar to what I am getting - when I replaced Tcl 8.4.1 with Tcl 8.5.7. In my case I don't know the exact root cause though ... Any ideas how I should proceed with debugging this issue ? Thanks, Alex tclsh c:/Tornado/host/resource/hutils/tcl/makeSymTbl.tcl ppc tmp.o symTbl.c invalid command name "::tcl::tm::UnknownHandler" while executing "::tcl::tm::UnknownHandler ::tclPkgUnknown msg...

Tcl/Tk 8.6.3, Itcl 4.0.2, sqlite 3.8.7 Release Candidates
Release candidate downloads of the 8.6.3 releases of Tcl and Tk, Itcl 4.0.2, and sqlite 3.8.7 may now be found at https://sourceforge.net/projects/tcl/files/Tcl/8.6.3/ The actual releases of these files should come on October 29. Until then, enjoy this advance preview, and if you find anything catastrophically wrong with them, please inform me so we can fix the problem before the true release. -- | Don Porter Applied and Computational Mathematics Division | | donald.porter@nist.gov Information Technology Laboratory | | http://math.nist.gov/~DPorter/...

Bug789040 came back in Tcl 8.4.6 and Tcl 8.5.
Dear All, Bug 789040 caused exec error in Windows 9x and was fixed in 10/04/03. But it came back in Tcl 8.4.6 and Tcl 8.5. Tcl Windows 9x users should be alerted to the possible failure of exec in the current Tcl 8.4.6 and 8.5 releases due to this bug. Chengye Mao http://www.geocities.com/~chengye Chengye Mao wrote: > Bug 789040 caused exec error in Windows 9x and was fixed in 10/04/03. > But it came back in Tcl 8.4.6 and Tcl 8.5. Tcl Windows 9x users > should be alerted to the possible failure of exec in the current Tcl > 8.4.6 and 8.5 releases due to this bug. Have you identified at what point it was reintroduced? Was the fix causing other issues and reverted, or simply reintroduced by accident? -- Jeff Hobbs, The Tcl Guy http://www.ActiveState.com/, a division of Sophos Jeff Hobbs <jeffh@activestate.com> wrote in message news:<409EEDB5.40905@activestate.com>... > Chengye Mao wrote: > > Bug 789040 caused exec error in Windows 9x and was fixed in 10/04/03. > > But it came back in Tcl 8.4.6 and Tcl 8.5. Tcl Windows 9x users > > should be alerted to the possible failure of exec in the current Tcl > > 8.4.6 and 8.5 releases due to this bug. > > Have you identified at what point it was reintroduced? Was the > fix causing other issues and reverted, or simply reintroduced by > accident? Reintroduced in rev. 1.41 of tclWinPipe.c in Feb, 2004. The bug was a missing space between tclpip.dll and...

Installation problems with Tcl 8.4.3
Hi, I'm having problems installing Tcl 8.4.3 with the cc compiler. Here's the output: %>set CC = cc %>configure loading cache ./config.cache checking whether to use symlinks for manpages... no checking compression for manpages... no checking for gcc... (cached) gcc checking whether the C compiler (gcc ) works... no configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot create executables. It seems like cc should work according to the README file: Note: by default gcc will be used if it can be located on the PATH. if you want to use cc instead of gcc, set the CC environment variable to "cc" before running configure. It is not safe to edit the Makefile to use gcc after configure is run. Also note that you should use the same compiler when building extensions. I did remove gcc from my search path. Thanks, Tet Tet wrote: > %>set CC = cc > %>configure > loading cache ./config.cache ^^^^^^^^^^^^ Notice this? > checking whether to use symlinks for manpages... no > checking compression for manpages... no > checking for gcc... (cached) gcc ^^^^^^ and this? You ran configure (at least) once before, and it decided to use gcc. It will keep making the same choice unless you clear the cache from that prior run. The simplest way to do that is: $ make distclean -- | Don Porter Mathematical and Computational Scie...

difference between tcl 8.4.2 & 8.4.4
% exec $env(COMSPEC) /c net config This command now fails on Tcl 8.4.4 What can I do instead? to run with either version of tcl and windows 98. "couldn't execute "C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM": no such file or directory" Running on Win 98. Win XP is ok. Peter Campbell wrote: > % exec $env(COMSPEC) /c net config > > This command now fails on Tcl 8.4.4 > What can I do instead? to run with either version of tcl and windows 98. > > "couldn't execute "C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM": no such file or directory" > > Running on Win 98. > Win XP is ok. This is a known bug that is already fixed. 8.4.5 will be out by the end of the week with this corrected. -- Jeff Hobbs, The Tcl Guy http://www.ActiveState.com/, a division of Sophos Hi Peter, Peter Campbell <pc@acs.co.nz> writes: > % exec $env(COMSPEC) /c net config > > This command now fails on Tcl 8.4.4 > What can I do instead? to run with either version of tcl and windows 98. > > "couldn't execute "C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM": no such file or > directory" > > Running on Win 98. > Win XP is ok. This was discussed recently, check google. IIRC, this is a bug in 8.4.4, to be fixed in 8.4.5. benny ...

upgrade problem tcl/tk-8.4 -> 8.5 -- please help
Hi, unfortunately I have next to no knowledge in Tcl. When upgrading from Tcl/Tk-8.4.* to 8.5.3 an error occurs in an old script (tkdiff+) I get unmatched open brace in list unmatched open brace in list while executing "foreach {pattern dummy1 dummy2} $content { if {$pattern == $data(v:status:pattern)} { set content [lreplace $content $i $i [clock format [clock s..." where $content contains (many lines removed) /Src/Src/Tcl/tkdiff-4.1.3-unix|/Src/Src/Tcl/tkdiff-4.1.4-unix {Sat Mar 08 16:20:58 CET 2008} { directory:. none directory:.. none file:COPYING none file:Changelog nok file:tkdiff nok file:tkdiff.bck none } /home/jarausch/Python_My/BackUp_X|/numa-i/home/jarausch/Python_My/BackUp_OLD {Tue May 20 14:39:37 CEST 2008} { directory:. none directory:.. none file:AFS_Launch.C none file:BackUp.Config none directory:jarausch ...

Binary reader speed comparison
I have a fairly simple binary reader proc that exhibits massive speed differences between Tcl 8.5.8 and Tcl8.6b1.1. Here's the proc: proc readFormatted {filename} { set fd [ open $filename r ] fconfigure $fd -encoding binary -translation binary binary scan [ read $fd 2 ] cc type nextlen if {$type != 75} { return -error "File is not in the expected format" } while {![append buffer [read $fd $nextlen] ; eof $fd]} { binary scan [read $fd 2] cc lastlen nextlen # convert to unsigned value set nextlen ...

How to comiple Tcl 8.4.5 on SGI 64 bit
Hello, I try to compile Tcl 8.4.5 on SGI 64 bit . But the configuration script doesn't work correct. I only get a make file for a 32 bit. This on works. I try to change the compile flag from -n32 to -64 but is have not effect. Have someone comipled Tcl for SGI 64 bit and have some tips for me? here my configuration csgi - tester - /people/tester/SGI/tcltk/tcl8.4.5/unix - (/bin/tcsh) 44>: configure --enable-64bit creating cache ./config.cache checking whether to use symlinks for manpages... no checking compression for manpages... no checking for gcc... no checking for cc... cc checking whether the C compiler (cc ) works... yes checking whether the C compiler (cc ) is a cross-compiler... no checking whether we are using GNU C... no checking whether cc accepts -g... no checking how to run the C preprocessor... /lib/cpp checking for unistd.h... yes checking for limits.h... yes checking for building with threads... no (default) checking for required early compiler flags... none checking for 64-bit integer type... long long checking for struct dirent64... yes checking for struct stat64... yes checking for off64_t... yes checking whether byte ordering is bigendian... yes checking for getcwd... yes checking for opendir... yes checking for strstr... yes checking for strtol... yes checking for strtoll... yes checking for strtoull... yes checking for tmpnam... yes checking for waitpid... yes checking for strerror... yes checking for getwd... yes checking for wait3... ye...

Problem compiling TCL 8.4 on HP-UX 11
Hi guys, I have been trying to build TCl 8.4 (and tried 8.5 beta) for use with shared libraries and AOLSERVER. I get this error, which I have seen on the internet before, but no real reason as to why it is happening. bash-2.04$ gcc -shared -o libtcl8.4.sl regcomp.o regexec.o regfree.o regerror. o tclAlloc.o tclAsync.o tclBasic.o tclBinary.o tclCkalloc.o tclClock.o tclCmd AH.o tclCmdIL.o tclCmdMZ.o tclCompCmds.o tclCompExpr.o tclCompile.o tclDate.o tclEncoding.o tclEnv.o tclEvent.o tclExecute.o tclFCmd.o tclFileName.o tclGet. o tclHash.o tclHistory.o tclIndexObj.o tclInterp.o tclIO.o tclIOCmd.o tclIOGT ..o tclIOSock.o tclIOUtil.o tclLink.o tclListObj.o tclLiteral.o tclLoad.o tclMa in.o tclNamesp.o tclNotify.o tclObj.o tclPanic.o tclParse.o tclParseExpr.o tcl Pipe.o tclPkg.o tclPosixStr.o tclPreserve.o tclProc.o tclRegexp.o tclResolve. o tclResult.o tclScan.o tclStringObj.o tclThread.o tclThreadAlloc.o tclThreadJ oin.o tclStubInit.o tclStubLib.o tclTimer.o tclUtf.o tclUtil.o tclVar.o tclUni xChan.o tclUnixEvent.o tclUnixFCmd.o tclUnixFile.o tclUnixPipe.o tclUnixSock.o tclUnixTime.o tclUnixInit.o tclUnixThrd.o tclUnixNotfy.o strtoll.o strtoull. o clLoadShl.o -ldld -lpthread -lxnet -lm -Wl,+s,+b,/exp/msat/tcl/tcl8.5a3/ lib:. /usr/ccs/bin/ld: DP relative code in file /var/tmp/ccQirrBL.o - shared library m ust be position independent. Use +z or +Z to recompile. collect2: ld returned 1 exit status Any idea what this means and how to get around this? ...

Tcl 8.6, ActiveTcl 8.6 & linux Fedora 16 (64 bit)...
Hi all, Just a quick note about installing ActiveTcl 8.6 under Fedora 16, 64 bit. Downloading ActiveTcl 8.6 and trying to run the installer, fails. The reason is that libXss.so, is missing from the system, and Tk seems to need this. The problem can be "resolved" by installing the package "libXScrnSaver". But there is no such package for Fedora 16, and (thankfully) the package gets installed from Fedora 15. Maybe this is a "sign" that libXss.so will disappear in the (near?) future... George PS: Also the mysql TDBC driver crashes, as the shared library has evolved to version 18 (and the sources try to load versions 15 & 16). Changing the sources to also load .18 fixes the problem. (But I would prefer an error message than a core dump...) ...

tcl 8.4 to 8.5
Hi all, I've been using tcl 8.4.19 for ages, but just got moved to 8.5.11 at work, and now a lot of my scripts fail. For instance, I use: "package require aes" but this gets thrown out by 8.5 I need an idiots guide to upgrading, anyone help please? On 05/21/2013 01:25 PM, nivparsons wrote: > I've been using tcl 8.4.19 for ages, but just got > moved to 8.5.11 at work, and now a lot of my scripts fail. > > For instance, I use: > > "package require aes" > > but this gets thrown out by 8.5 Are your packages installed where both a Tcl 8.4 and a Tcl 8.5 installation can find them? As general advice, reporting verbatim error messages is often very helpful in getting more useful help. -- | Don Porter Applied and Computational Mathematics Division | | donald.porter@nist.gov Information Technology Laboratory | | http://math.nist.gov/~DPorter/ NIST | |______________________________________________________________________| On 05/21/2013 01:25 PM, nivparsons wrote: > I've been using tcl 8.4.19 for ages, but just got > moved to 8.5.11 at work, and now a lot of my scripts fail. Have you built/installed from source, or are you using binary distributions from some provider? What provider? -- | Don Porter Applied and Computational Mathematics Division | | donald.porter@nist.gov Information Technolog...

tcl 8.4.8 bugs?
Is this a bug in tcl8.4.8? tclsh % set test_string "</Config>" </Config> % if [ regexp "^</(.*)>" $test_string jerk cfg_line ] { puts $cfg_line } elseif [ regexp "^<(.*)>" $test_string jerk cfg_line ] { } /Config % if [ regexp "^</(.*)>" $test_string jerk cfg_line ] { puts $cfg_line } elseif [ regexp "^<(.*)>" $test_string jerk cfg_line2 ] { } Config % In article <5b2f12a6.0411301212.6811fd48@posting.google.com>, Xiaofeng Wu wrote: > Is this a bug in tcl8.4.8? No. > tclsh > % set test_string "</Config>" ></Config> > % if [ regexp "^</(.*)>" $test_string jerk cfg_line ] { > puts $cfg_line > } elseif [ regexp "^<(.*)>" $test_string jerk cfg_line ] { > } > /Config Notice that you have not braced the expressions in your [if] command. This means all of them will be evaluated. All substitutions are done before command evaluation. You probably wanted to code this instead: % set test_string "</Config>" </Config> % if {[ regexp "^</(.*)>" $test_string jerk cfg_line ]} { puts $cfg_line } elseif {[ regexp "^<(.*)>" $test_string jerk cfg_line ]} { } Config The difference is very basic to understanding the Tcl language. If you do not understand, take some time to review Tcl's substitution rules again. -- | Don Porter Mathematical and Compu...

Web resources about - Q: Problem to compile Tcl 8.4.3 Solrais 8 with 64 bit support - comp.lang.tcl

Establishing sleep patterns early in life key to avoiding future problems
Children have just the first five years of life to develop good sleeping habits before they are at risk of adjusting poorly to school and developing ...

Maria Sharapova's meldonium problem: it's about the brains, not the looks
What Maria Sharapova seems most guilty of is breathtaking stupidity.

Slater frustrated with shoulder problems
BILLY Slater is said to be “disappointed” and “frustrated” with the Melbourne Storm star set to undergo an arthroscope on his troublesome left ...

Establishing sleep patterns early in life key to avoiding future problems
Children have just the first five years of life to develop good sleeping habits before they are at risk of adjusting poorly to school and developing ...

Obama Wants SXSW to Help Solve America's Problems, Including Apple Standoff
President Obama asked a tech-savvy audience attending the first day of the South by Southwest Interactive Festival in Austin to help tackle the ...

Florida’s problem with sea level rise catches up with Rubio at debate
... debate near Miami, Florida. (credit: Joe Raedle / Getty Images) Earlier this year, a group of Florida mayors that are dealing with problems ...

How to fix Microsoft Edge's worst problems
... soon (and to the rest of us when the Redstone update for Windows 10 rolls out in June/July). If you’re using the new browser and having problems, ...

NASTY: Bill Clinton's Disgusting Flatulence Problems Date Back to White House Years
It's not just Granny Catlady who stinks. It's also her husband : Clinton became so flatulent at one point during his presidency that his close ...