Question on migration from TCL 8.3 to TCL 8.6

Hi All,

I am working on a EDA tool which is built on TCL 8.3 platform. I need to upgrade the platform to TCL 8.6.

Is it proper to move directly from 8.3 to 8.6 version? Or should I upgrade to TCL 8.5 as TCL 8.6 is still beta version.

Please suggest me precautions.

Please point me to documentation/User guide related to this.

Thanks for help,
Divyesh
0
Divyesh

On Thursday, 30 January 2014 04:47:57 UTC, Divyesh Patel  wrote:
> Is it proper to move directly from 8.3 to 8.6 version? Or should I upgrade to TCL 8.5 as TCL 8.6 is still beta version.

Tcl 8.6.1 is now the current stable version so it probably make sense to move to that, see http://tcl.tk/software/tcltk/8.6.html

Colin.
0
Colin
1/30/2014 8:14:53 AM
>=20
>=20
> Is it proper to move directly from 8.3 to 8.6 version? Or should I upgrad=
e to TCL 8.5 as TCL 8.6 is still beta version.
>=20

Tcl 8.6 is an improvement with extra functionalities and should work with u=
nchanged code. Tk is more a problem with unsupported functions that has bee=
n replaced by other commands, just see the file "unsupported.tcl" in 8.6 in=
stallation. The binary extensions are more a problem for instance BLT needs=
 to be replaced, Tcom is no more supported, not all extensions have 64-bit =
version ....  As about an EDA software, I suspect you don't have only Tcl o=
r Tcl/Tk under the hood !

Tcl/Tk 8.6.1 is not in beta and is quite robust and has nice improvements f=
or EDA such as text with angle in the text widget... If you need Tk.

Regards,

Olivier
0
oc_forums
1/30/2014 10:09:36 AM

> As about an EDA software, I suspect you don't have only Tcl or Tcl/Tk under the hood !

Hi, Olivier
you are right, actually this tool is built using C++ and many other things under the hood.
So i need to know what are the things I should take care about after migration, to avoid later surprises in the behavior of the tool

Thanks for your help,
Divyesh
0
Divyesh
2/4/2014 10:44:53 AM
16:14 (9 minutes ago)

> As about an EDA software, I suspect you don't have only Tcl or Tcl/Tk under the hood !

Hi, Olivier
you are right, actually this tool is built using C++, TCL and many other things under the hood.
So i need to know what are the things should I take care about after migration, to avoid later surprises in the behavior of the tool

Thanks for your help,
Divyesh
0
Divyesh
2/4/2014 10:56:21 AM
Get Practical Programming In Tcl and Tk as this book goes over some of the changes regarding different versions of tcl and tk.
0
bsallamack