Resizing images in a Tcl script

My app needs to be able to resize images on the fly.  Tk's native
"$img copy -subsample" option yields poor results, and will only scale
images down, not up.  What other options are available?

I've tried Pixane (http://www.evolane.com/software/pixane/pixane.html)
which appears to do the job both reasonably well, and reasonably
quickly; BUT.  It doesn't coexist well with the Img extension.  Once
I've loaded Pixane, I can't load the Img extension; I get the error "
couldn't use "jpegtcl": please upgrade to at least version 6a".  If I
load the Img extension first, followed by Pixane, then calls like this
fail:

   image create photo -file foo.jpg

Pixane has a way to link a Pixane image to a Tk photo image;
consequently, I can use Pixane to load JPEG images into Tk photo
images.  This, however, is horribly, horribly slow.

I've heard of TclMagick, but I don't know how good it is; my past
attempts to get a copy have (IIRC) led me into dependency hell.  It
certainly isn't in the teapot.

Any thoughts?
0
will181 (163)

will@wjduquette.com wrote:
> My app needs to be able to resize images on the fly.  Tk's native
> "$img copy -subsample" option yields poor results, and will only scale
> images down, not up.  What other options are available?
>
> I've tried Pixane (http://www.evolane.com/software/pixane/pixane.html)
> which appears to do the job both reasonably well, and reasonably
> quickly; BUT.  It doesn't coexist well with the Img extension.  Once
> I've loaded Pixane, I can't load the Img extension; I get the error "
> couldn't use "jpegtcl": please upgrade to at least version 6a".  If I
> load the Img extension first, followed by Pixane, then calls like this
> fail:
>
>    image create photo -file foo.jpg
>
> Pixane has a way to link a Pixane image to a Tk photo image;
> consequently, I can use Pixane to load JPEG images into Tk photo
> images.  This, however, is horribly, horribly slow.
>
> I've heard of TclMagick, but I don't know how good it is; my past
> attempts to get a copy have (IIRC) led me into dependency hell.  It
> certainly isn't in the teapot.
>
> Any thoughts?

Tk Magik (aka the Tcl extension to ImageMagik)?

| Gerald W. Lester                                                       |
|"The man who fights for his ideals is the man who is alive." - Cervantes|
Gerald.Lester (2014)
11/5/2008 3:50:24 PM
On Nov 5, 7:45=A0am, w...@wjduquette.com wrote:
> Pixane has a way to link a Pixane image to a Tk photo image;
> consequently, I can use Pixane to load JPEG images into Tk photo
> images. =A0This, however, is horribly, horribly slow.

Aha!  What I was doing was using "pixane create -tkphoto $img" to link
a Pixane image to a Tk photo image; then, any operations on the Pixane
image appear in the Tk image as well.  This is, as I say, horribly
slow.

However, it develops that Pixane also has a "pixcopy" command, defined
when Tk is available, that converts Pixane images to Tk images and
back again; this is much faster.  I'm not sure it's a perfect
solution,
but it's better.

0
will181 (163)
11/5/2008 4:01:46 PM
On Nov 5, 7:50=A0am, "Gerald W. Lester" <Gerald.Les...@cox.net> wrote:
> w...@wjduquette.com wrote:
> > I've heard of TclMagick, but I don't know how good it is; my past
> > attempts to get a copy have (IIRC) led me into dependency hell. =A0It
> > certainly isn't in the teapot.
>
> > Any thoughts?
>
> Tk Magik (aka the Tcl extension to ImageMagik)?

Hi, Gerald!  Have you actually used Tk Magik (I thought it was
TclMagick?)
What's your experience been with it?
0
will181 (163)
11/5/2008 4:02:47 PM
will@wjduquette.com wrote:
> My app needs to be able to resize images on the fly.  Tk's native
> "$img copy -subsample" option yields poor results, and will only scale
> images down, not up.  What other options are available?
>
> I've tried Pixane (http://www.evolane.com/software/pixane/pixane.html)
> which appears to do the job both reasonably well, and reasonably
> quickly; BUT.  It doesn't coexist well with the Img extension.  Once
> I've loaded Pixane, I can't load the Img extension; I get the error "
> couldn't use "jpegtcl": please upgrade to at least version 6a".  If I
> load the Img extension first, followed by Pixane, then calls like this
> fail:
>
>    image create photo -file foo.jpg
>
> Pixane has a way to link a Pixane image to a Tk photo image;
> consequently, I can use Pixane to load JPEG images into Tk photo
> images.  This, however, is horribly, horribly slow.
>
> I've heard of TclMagick, but I don't know how good it is; my past
> attempts to get a copy have (IIRC) led me into dependency hell.  It
> certainly isn't in the teapot.
>
> Any thoughts?

Will,

I've started using TkCximage in my apps:

http://amsn.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/amsn/trunk/amsn/utils/TkCximage/

It's a Tk interface to the Cximage library
(http://www.xdp.it/cximage.htm). Cximage can do all kinds of cool things
with a variety of image formats--not just read them but manipulate them.

The aMSN folks (http://www.amsn-project.net) developed TkCximage to use
in that app, for the reasons you outline--on-the-fly-image-resizing, as
well as other manipulations. TkImg doesn't provide this.

TkCximage hasn't been adopted outside of aMSN. I persuaded them to make
it available under the LGPL, which they've done. A standalone package
isn't available. Binary libs for Windows and Mac are part of aMSN's SVN
archive, and you can build it for *Nix from the SVN archive (see
http://amsn.sourceforge.net/wiki/tiki-index.php?page=Installation+Instructions
for instructions--running "configure" will build TkCximage if you have
libpng and libjpeg installed, those are dependencies).

I'm going to put TkCximage through more paces on my apps before
"evangelizing" it more, but since you're looking for what it provides, I
hope it helps you!

Kevin

--
Kevin Walzer
Code by Kevin
will@wjduquette.com wrote:
> On Nov 5, 7:50 am, "Gerald W. Lester" <Gerald.Les...@cox.net> wrote:
>> w...@wjduquette.com wrote:
>>> I've heard of TclMagick, but I don't know how good it is; my past
>>> attempts to get a copy have (IIRC) led me into dependency hell.  It
>>> certainly isn't in the teapot.
>>> Any thoughts?
>> Tk Magik (aka the Tcl extension to ImageMagik)?
>
> Hi, Gerald!  Have you actually used Tk Magik (I thought it was
> TclMagick?)
> What's your experience been with it?

Used it once several years ago.  Seemed to work, but did not stress test it.

And yeap, it is TclMagik.

| Gerald W. Lester                                                       |
|"The man who fights for his ideals is the man who is alive." - Cervantes|
Gerald.Lester (2014)
11/5/2008 4:39:42 PM
On Nov 5, 7:45 am, w...@wjduquette.com wrote:
> My app needs to be able to resize images on the fly.  Tk's native
> "$img copy -subsample" option yields poor results, and will only scale
> images down, not up.  What other options are available?
>
> I've tried Pixane (http://www.evolane.com/software/pixane/pixane.html)
> which appears to do the job both reasonably well, and reasonably
> quickly; BUT.  It doesn't coexist well with the Img extension.  Once
> I've loaded Pixane, I can't load the Img extension; I get the error "
> couldn't use "jpegtcl": please upgrade to at least version 6a".  If I
> load the Img extension first, followed by Pixane, then calls like this
> fail:
>
>    image create photo -file foo.jpg
>
> Pixane has a way to link a Pixane image to a Tk photo image;
> consequently, I can use Pixane to load JPEG images into Tk photo
> images.  This, however, is horribly, horribly slow.
>
> I've heard of TclMagick, but I don't know how good it is; my past
> attempts to get a copy have (IIRC) led me into dependency hell.  It
> certainly isn't in the teapot.
>
> Any thoughts?

http://wiki.tcl.tk/11924
is good code for me.

Also note that there is both
Tclmagick and Tkmagick. Tclmagick doesn't
require tk and can't work with tk images.
tkmagick is basically a copy bridge between
image magick and Tk images (in memory)
Finally, there is a largish update of tclmagick
adding api calls. The new version is tclwand.
0
royterry (360)
11/5/2008 4:52:18 PM
On Nov 5, 11:52=A0am, Roy Terry <royte...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> On Nov 5, 7:45 am, w...@wjduquette.com wrote:
>

> > My app needs to be able to resize images on the fly. =A0Tk's native
> > "$img copy -subsample" option yields poor results, and will only scale
> > images down, not up. =A0What other options are available?
>
> > I've tried Pixane (http://www.evolane.com/software/pixane/pixane.html)
> > which appears to do the job both reasonably well, and reasonably
> > quickly; BUT. =A0It doesn't coexist well with the Img extension. =A0Onc=
> > I've loaded Pixane, I can't load the Img extension; I get the error "
> > couldn't use "jpegtcl": please upgrade to at least version 6a". =A0If I
> > load the Img extension first, followed by Pixane, then calls like this
> > fail:
>
> > =A0 =A0image create photo -file foo.jpg
>
> > Pixane has a way to link a Pixane image to a Tk photo image;
> > consequently, I can use Pixane to load JPEG images into Tk photo
> > images. =A0This, however, is horribly, horribly slow.
>
> > I've heard of TclMagick, but I don't know how good it is; my past
> > attempts to get a copy have (IIRC) led me into dependency hell. =A0It
> > certainly isn't in the teapot.
>
> > Any thoughts?
>
> http://wiki.tcl.tk/11924
> is good code for me.

I second that. I needed something for image rotation and
I found tcl magick too bulky for such a simple task.

Only problem is that I haven't been able to get it to
work under Unix. Has anybody had any luck?

Keith

0
kvetter (178)
11/5/2008 5:08:08 PM
On Wed, 5 Nov 2008, Roy Terry wrote:

> Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 08:52:18 -0800 (PST)
> From: Roy Terry <royterry@earthlink.net>
> Newsgroups: comp.lang.tcl
> Subject: Re: Resizing images in a Tcl script
>
> On Nov 5, 7:45 am, w...@wjduquette.com wrote:
>> My app needs to be able to resize images on the fly.  Tk's native
>> "$img copy -subsample" option yields poor results, and will only scale
>> images down, not up.  What other options are available?
>>
>> I've tried Pixane (http://www.evolane.com/software/pixane/pixane.html)
>> which appears to do the job both reasonably well, and reasonably
>> quickly; BUT.  It doesn't coexist well with the Img extension.  Once
>> I've loaded Pixane, I can't load the Img extension; I get the error "
>> couldn't use "jpegtcl": please upgrade to at least version 6a".  If I
>> load the Img extension first, followed by Pixane, then calls like this
>> fail:
>>
>>    image create photo -file foo.jpg
>>
>> Pixane has a way to link a Pixane image to a Tk photo image;
>> consequently, I can use Pixane to load JPEG images into Tk photo
>> images.  This, however, is horribly, horribly slow.
>>
>> I've heard of TclMagick, but I don't know how good it is; my past
>> attempts to get a copy have (IIRC) led me into dependency hell.  It
>> certainly isn't in the teapot.
>>
>> Any thoughts?
>
> http://wiki.tcl.tk/11924
> is good code for me.
>
> Also note that there is both
> Tclmagick and Tkmagick. Tclmagick doesn't
> require tk and can't work with tk images.
> tkmagick is basically a copy bridge between
> image magick and Tk images (in memory)
> Finally, there is a largish update of tclmagick
> adding api calls. The new version is tclwand.

One thing you might want to consider is extracting the thumbnail from the
exif data to scale "downwards", and only "scale" if necessary ... that is,
to scale fast, don't scale at all ...

Actually, tkMagick is unnecessary, as all one needs is to copy the blob
from tclMagick into a tk image -- note wand2Image below ... :

   proc blob2wand { wand blob } {
         $wand readblob $blob
         return $wand
   }
   proc wand2Image { wand img } {
         $img put [ $wand writeblob ]
   }
   proc resize { wand width height } {
         $wand resize $width $height
   }
   proc getImage { path } {
         set ret [image create photo]
         $ret read $path
         return $ret
   }
   proc putImage { img path } {
         return [$img write $path]
   }
   proc putWand { wand path } {
         return [$wand write $path]
   }

.... As for building tclMagick ... once you have a working version of
ImageMagick, you can adapt the following script to build only the required
parts of tclMagick ... You don't need the entire autotools config/make to
do so ...

wnd=/usr/local/bin/Wand-config
#CC=mingw32-gcc
CC=gcc
$CC -shared -DUSE_TCL_STUBS -fPIC -DUSE_TK_STUBS -DUSE_TK_STUBS -I. \
         -I/usr/local/include -L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/lib \
         `$wnd --ldflags --libs` \
         -L /usr/local/lib -ltclstub8.5 \
         -o tclmagick.so -O2 -DNDEBUG TclMagick.c
#        -o tclmagick.so -O2 -DNDEBUG -Wl,-s TclMagick.c

If you are on windows, you'll need MingW or CygWin ...

HTH ...
Cheers,
Rob
Spam159 (460)
11/5/2008 5:09:33 PM
On Nov 5, 8:52=A0am, Roy Terry <royte...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> On Nov 5, 7:45 am, w...@wjduquette.com wrote:
> > My app needs to be able to resize images on the fly. =A0Tk's native
> > "$img copy -subsample" option yields poor results, and will only scale
> > images down, not up. =A0What other options are available?
>

> http://wiki.tcl.tk/11924
> is good code for me.

That sounds just about perfect...if it works on Linux.
0
will181 (163)
11/5/2008 5:23:29 PM
Hi Rob,

to extract the thumbnail from the EXIF data I used simply the tcllib
jpeg package and stored the thumbnail into a file.

Ok - if the EXIF orientation tag tells, that the thumbnail should be
rotated, than I used pixane to rotate the thumbnail before saving it.

I also tried Image/TclMagick, but while building and using starpacks a
lot I ran into problems with the DLL/registry dependencies on systems,
where ImageMagick wasn't installed properly.
Pixane worked right out of the (starpack) box. And it worked really
quick!

But I never needed Linux/Unix support, so I don't know about the Linux/
Unix support of pixane.

Best Regards,

Martin

On Nov 5, 6:09=A0pm, S...@ControlQ.com wrote:
> [...]
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0return [$wand write $path]
> =A0 =A0}
>
> ... As for building tclMagick ... once you have a working version of
> ImageMagick, you can adapt the following script to build only the require=
> parts of tclMagick ... You don't need the entire autotools config/make to
> do so ...
>
> wnd=3D/usr/local/bin/Wand-config
> #CC=3Dmingw32-gcc
> CC=3Dgcc
> $CC -shared -DUSE_TCL_STUBS -fPIC -DUSE_TK_STUBS -DUSE_TK_STUBS -I. \
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0-I/usr/local/include -L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/lib \
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0`$wnd --ldflags --libs` \
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0-L /usr/local/lib -ltclstub8.5 \
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0-o tclmagick.so -O2 -DNDEBUG TclMagick.c
> # =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0-o tclmagick.so -O2 -DNDEBUG -Wl,-s TclMagick.c
>
> If you are on windows, you'll need MingW or CygWin ...

s Provider ----http://www.pronews.comoffers corporate packages that have ac=
cess to 100,000+ newsgroups

will@wjduquette.com wrote:

> My app needs to be able to resize images on the fly.  Tk's native
> "$img copy -subsample" option yields poor results, and will only scale
> images down, not up.  What other options are available?
>
> I've tried Pixane (http://www.evolane.com/software/pixane/pixane.html)
> which appears to do the job both reasonably well, and reasonably
> quickly; BUT.  It doesn't coexist well with the Img extension.  Once
> I've loaded Pixane, I can't load the Img extension; I get the error "
> couldn't use "jpegtcl": please upgrade to at least version 6a".  If I
> load the Img extension first, followed by Pixane, then calls like this
> fail:
>
>    image create photo -file foo.jpg
>
> Pixane has a way to link a Pixane image to a Tk photo image;
> consequently, I can use Pixane to load JPEG images into Tk photo
> images.  This, however, is horribly, horribly slow.
>
> I've heard of TclMagick, but I don't know how good it is; my past
> attempts to get a copy have (IIRC) led me into dependency hell.  It
> certainly isn't in the teapot.

I wrote a patch for TclMagick.  It's pretty good code, but I later created
my own solution for my needs.

> Any thoughts?

You could use megaimage and my JPEG and/or PNG extensions.  They are BSD
licensed, with the additional restrictions of the libjpeg and libpng
licenses.

They were actually used for the Tcl conference image feed last year, and I
think this year too.  Another extension I wrote to work with megaimage was
freetypeext (for compositing text over an image).

set buf [jpegext2:decode $jpegdata]
set mobj [megaimage $buf]
#For an image half the size use 500 500.  1000 is no change.
#1000 is used for better fixed point accuracy.
#There is also a scaleto for exact width and height.
$mobj scale 500 500
set newjpegdata [jpegext2:encode [$mobj getdata]]
rename $mobj {}; #cleanup

If you need to convert a megaimage buffer to a Tk photo you can use
megaimagetk with [megaimage.to.photo].

This has some -DUSE_TCL_STUBS binaries I threw together quickly for an MJPEG
viewer before the conference this year:
http://whim.linuxsys.net/files/Tk_MJPEG_Win32_and_Linux-3.zip

The Win32 binaries in this case are newer than the Linux binaries in that
zip file.  They were all built for 8.5 I think.  I can provide updated 8.5
builds if you want for Linux and Win32, or instructions for building.  I
may even be able to provide MacOS X binaries as well.

The documentation is here:
http://www.xmission.com/~georgeps/implementation/software/megapkg/megaimage.html
http://www.xmission.com/~georgeps/implementation/software/megapkg/megaimagetk.html
Tiffext is another encoder/decoder compatible with megaimage.
http://www.xmission.com/~georgeps/implementation/software/megapkg/tiffext.html

I'm hoping that eventually other Tcl developers will work with me on
the "Imagecore" ideas.  See: http://paste.tclers.tk/1323  Imagecore may
eventually supplant megaimage, and I'm hoping be in the Tcl core as an
optional package, though perhaps (for building and redistribution reasons)
not with the imagecore encoders/decoders that depend on other libraries.

--George
0
georgeps (404)
11/5/2008 5:53:09 PM
will@wjduquette.com schreef:
> On Nov 5, 8:52 am, Roy Terry <royte...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>> On Nov 5, 7:45 am, w...@wjduquette.com wrote:
>>> My app needs to be able to resize images on the fly.  Tk's native
>>> "$img copy -subsample" option yields poor results, and will only scale
>>> images down, not up.  What other options are available?
>>
>> http://wiki.tcl.tk/11924
>> is good code for me.
>
> That sounds just about perfect...if it works on Linux.

You could also have a look at LRIPhoto (http://wfr.tcl.tk/1004 in
french), its similar to http://wiki.tcl.tk/11924, but meant to work with
critcl or odyce, so I would expect it to work on linux. I haven't tried
it myself (except for clicking on it in the odyce demo on windows).

Peter
0
pwelten (22)
11/5/2008 6:32:24 PM
On Wed, 5 Nov 2008, MartinLemburg@Siemens-PLM wrote:
> Hi Rob,
>
> to extract the thumbnail from the EXIF data I used simply the tcllib
> jpeg package and stored the thumbnail into a file.

Probably a good approach!

> Ok - if the EXIF orientation tag tells, that the thumbnail should be
> rotated, than I used pixane to rotate the thumbnail before saving it.

Tricky, I find that the orientation varies from data source to data
source, and can be misleading ...

> I also tried Image/TclMagick, but while building and using starpacks a
> lot I ran into problems with the DLL/registry dependencies on systems,
> where ImageMagick wasn't installed properly.
> Pixane worked right out of the (starpack) box. And it worked really
> quick!

Pixane is not BSD licensed, not available on a lot of platforms and source
is not readily available.  No cigar.

> But I never needed Linux/Unix support, so I don't know about the Linux/
> Unix support of pixane.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Martin

AFAIR, pixane has some licensing/source/platform availability issues which
prevent my using them.  I use FreeBSD/OpenBSD/NetBSD/Ubuntu/Debian/Windoze
and other OS'es ... so again, not helpful.

Admittedly, ImageMagick is a *BIG* but moving target, and the API is in
flux, and tclMagick is unmaintained for all intents and purposes.

TclWand seems to have some potential, but has all the complexity of
tclMagick (the big switch statement) as it is based upon tclMagick 0.45,
and is available for Windoze only at the moment. Though, that might change
if I can figure out the build process, and hand back a proper
(non-windoze) build environment for it ... but I don't have time to do
that just now ...

Here's a quick example of using of tclMagick to extract a thumbnail from
an image, using the metadata contained within the corresponding wand ...
and by getting the exif offsets and length, and then just pulling the
string range out of the blob.  Pretty quick ...

   proc extractThumb { wand blob } {
         set off [wandProperty $wand exif:JPEGInterchangeFormat]
         if ![string length $off] {
                 return {}
         }
         set len [wandProperty $wand exif:JPEGInterchangeFormatLength]
         set chr [format "%s" \xd8]
         set ix [expr [string first $chr $blob $off] - 1 ]
         set lst [expr $ix + $len]
         return [string range $blob $ix $lst]
   }

Here's a small C code snippet to do the same (pull a thumbnail) using
libexif, but I really can't recommend libexif in the absence of any
reasonable documentation ... I seem to recall that it took me the better
part of half a day to excavate enough info to write the code snippet
below ... though it is fast!

/*
         this mechanism for extracting thumbnails uses libexif ...
*/
Blob_t  *im_ExtractThumb( Img_t *im ){

         ExifData *Exif ;
         Blob_t  *ret ;

         ret = (Blob_t *) NULL ;
         Exif = exif_data_new_from_data( im ->img ->buf, im ->img ->actual ) ;
         if( Exif ->size && Exif ->data ){
                 ret = copyBlob( Exif ->data, Exif ->size ) ;
         }
         exif_data_unref( Exif );
         return( ret ) ;
}

Ideally, a tcl extension based upon a simple library could be built which
provides the image scaling/rotation/watermark capabilities, is portable,
fast, and easily built on any platform ... but I'm not sure which library
would be a sound starting point for such an extension.

Cheers,
Rob Sciuk
Spam159 (460)
11/5/2008 10:22:05 PM
On Wed, 5 Nov 2008 17:22:05 -0500, Spam@ControlQ.com wrote:
> Admittedly, ImageMagick is a *BIG* but moving target, and the API is in
> flux, and tclMagick is unmaintained for all intents and purposes.
>
> TclWand seems to have some potential, but has all the complexity of
> tclMagick (the big switch statement) as it is based upon tclMagick 0.45,
> and is available for Windoze only at the moment. Though, that might change
> if I can figure out the build process, and hand back a proper
> (non-windoze) build environment for it ... but I don't have time to do
> that just now ...

Rob:
I wrote the TclWand modification of the original TclMagick.
If you, or anyone, needs a TclWand built for a recent version of
ImageMagick I can make one available.
If you need help changing the build environment I can try to help with that
if/when you get around to it.

Pete
--
===============
NN=01
On Wed, 5 Nov 2008 17:22:05 -0500, Spam@ControlQ.com wrote:>
> Admittedly, ImageMagick is a *BIG* but moving target, and the API is in
> flux, and tclMagick is unmaintained for all intents and purposes.
>
> TclWand seems to have some potential, but has all the complexity of
> tclMagick (the big switch statement) as it is based upon tclMagick 0.45,
> and is available for Windoze only at the moment. Though, that might change
> if I can figure out the build process, and hand back a proper
> (non-windoze) build environment for it ... but I don't have time to do
> that just now ...

Rob:
I wrote the TclWand modification of the original TclMagick. I've added the
ability to execute a command line directly from within TclWand. As a
trivial example, the commnad line "convert logo logo.png" would be:
magick convert logo: logo.png
The composite, mogrify and montage commands can also be called directly
like this.

On Nov 5, 6:23=A0pm, w...@wjduquette.com wrote:
> On Nov 5, 8:52=A0am, Roy Terry <royte...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> > On Nov 5, 7:45 am, w...@wjduquette.com wrote:
> > > My app needs to be able to resize images on the fly. =A0Tk's native
> > > "$img copy -subsample" option yields poor results, and will only scal=
> > > images down, not up. =A0What other options are available?
>
> >http://wiki.tcl.tk/11924
> > is good code for me.
>
> That sounds just about perfect...if it works on Linux.

Hello, have a look at TkImageTools.

http://snackamp.sourceforge.net/releases/

-eric
0
eric1562 (1)

tcl code to read an image and write tcl code?
Does anyone know where I can find a tcl proc that would take an image, say a gif, and output pure tcl code that I could paste into a program? I saw something about a unix program that did something with mimes but I'm on windows. In article <4403BC94.447A7341@rocketship1.com>, Eric Taylor <et2@rocketship1.com> wrote: > > >Does anyone know where I can find a tcl proc >that would take an image, say a gif, and output >pure tcl code that I could paste into a program? > >I saw something about a unix program that did >something with mimes but I'm on wi...

Dose there any tcl script to translate an file with embedded tcl
Hi I need to generate some big file, but there are rules for generate these files Ex . ============================== Start input a [0] wire input a [1] wire .. .. .. .. input a [1000] wire End ================================= Dose there any tcl script can help to translate a file with embedded tcl script into a new file For example this is a source file ======================== Start * set i 0 * for { set i 0 } { $i < 1000 } { incr i } { * puts input a [$i] wire * } End ========================== After Translate ======================= Start input a [0] wire input a [1] wire .. .. ...

Why can execution results in tcl shell differ than if using tcl script??
Hi, I have been posting a thread here: http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/browse_thread/thread/983d7ef3e4b1ab54# I have another question that might be related to it, I'm doing set of tcl commands (involving external shell commands execution) one time in tcl shell, and the other from a tcl script.. Although both command sequences are the same, I get quite different results!!! Why did this happens?? Thanks, Ahmad Ahmad wrote: > Hi, > > I have been posting a thread here: > http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/browse_thread/thread/983d7ef3e4b1ab54# > > I have another question that might be related to it, I'm doing set of > tcl commands (involving external shell commands execution) one time in > tcl shell, and the other from a tcl script.. > > Although both command sequences are the same, I get quite different > results!!! Why did this happens?? > > Thanks, > Ahmad The interactive Tcl shell has access to external functionality that a running script doesn't. That's done to make the interactive environment easier to work with. What, specifically, is the command sequence you're issuing in both cases? Jeff Hi Jeff, Thank you for your reply. I've a tcl script that finally creates a certain script, that is when I run from shell using "calibredrv -gui <certainRunScript>" from command line it do exactly what I expect. I have tried two scenarios of trials, and only one of...

tcl hangs on exit for multiple open calls from within same tcl script
Hi, I am looking to run a couple of processes in parallel. But a strange hang = occurs randomly. I am invoking two tcl commands using open in parallel. Now= after a while one of the process would just hang indefinitely which I am n= ot able to understand why. The issue is easily reproducible on win 2008 ser= ver and other multi core machines. Am I doing something wrongly? What is th= e best way to do this? To reproduce, you just have to create the files and run loop.bat. You shoul= d see the hang within 15-20 minutes. Following are the files I am using=20 ******** loop.bat ****** @echo off :loop tclsh 1.tcl goto loop ***************** Contents of file 1.tcl ***************** #!/bin/sh #DO NOT CHANGE THOSE 3 FIRST LINES \ exec tclsh $0 "$@" set status [catch { exec tclsh 2.tcl } outcmd] puts $outcmd exit 0 ******* Contents of file 2.tcl ***** #!/bin/sh #DO NOT CHANGE THOSE 3 FIRST LINES \ exec tclsh $0 "$@" set cmd1 "tclsh 6.tcl &" set cmd2 "tclsh 5.tcl &" set out1 "" set out2 "" proc isProcessDone { channel logText } { gets $channel currentline while {[eof $channel] =3D=3D 0} { set logText "$logText\n $currentline" gets $channel currentline } return $logText } puts "hi" set imChannel1 [open "| $cmd1"] puts "hi1 $imChannel1" set imChannel2 [open "| $cmd2"] puts...

Does anyone have a Tcl Script which does a Multi Part File Upload to web site ( TCL CGI )
Hello all, I am after a Tcl script which I can use on my apache Linux server which a user can upload files or pictures to the site with ... Any help is appreciated, Thank you for the help, Sean - HeliHobby.com Sean wrote: > Hello all, > > I am after a Tcl script which I can use on my apache Linux server > which a user can upload files or pictures to the site with ... > > Any help is appreciated, > > Thank you for the help, > > Sean - HeliHobby.com I use ncgi for ths (from tcllib). It rocks! high quality code that never fails. For instance the file upload...

l'C program executing from a tcl script with pipe opened using open command in Tcl
Hi all, I wanted to communicate with a C program from a Tcl script.. The test code i have written is below Both the 'C' program and Tcl script are located in the same directory. The 'C' program is below. I have named it CTCL.C #include<stdio.h> #include<string.h> int main() { int i; char c[30]; printf("Reading..."); scanf("%s",c); printf("String read is :%s\n",c); fflush(stdout); return 0; } I have compiled the program with the command cc CTCL.C -o ctcl So the executable was generated with the name 'ctcl' The Tcl script I have written is. I have named it TCLPIPETEST.tcl #!/usr/add-on/exptools/bin/tclsh set fd [open "|./ctcl" r+] gets $fd tmp1 puts "tmp1 = $tmp1" set stat 0 set tmp2 "Default value... " if { ![catch { puts $fd "abcdef" } res]} { if { ![catch { flush $fd } res] } { if { ![catch { gets $fd tmp2} res ] } { set stat 1 } else { puts "Error 'gets' from pipe : $res" } } else { puts "Error 'flush' from pipe:$res " } } else { puts "Error 'puts' from pipe:$res " } if { $stat == 1 } { puts "Success......:$tmp2 :)" } else { puts "Failure......:$tmp2 :(" } I have given all permissions for both the files above. When i execute the Tcl script My aim is to open a pipe with the 'C' executable 'ctcl', initially read so...

How to compile tcl or encrypt tcl
I use TclPro1.5 to compile my tcl script with tixwish in the Solaris before. But I cannot use the same method in Linux. Why? Is there any utility for me to compile or encrypt the code by using tixwish? The following is the simple code if I use the tixwish: #!/home/albertl/local/bin/tixwish puts "haha" And after using procomp by the TclPro1.5 Error in startup script: The TclPro ByteCode Loader is not available or does not support the correct version while executing "error "The TclPro ByteCode Loader is not available or does not support the correct version"" invoked from within "if {[catch {package require tbcload 1.3} err] == 1} { error "The TclPro ByteCode Loader is not available or does not support the correct version" ...." (file "a.tbc" line 4) The problem seems that tbcload1.3 cannot be found? But tbcload is already there "/home/albertl/local/lib/tbcload1.3" Why? Can anyone tell me? stratus schrieb: > I use TclPro1.5 to compile my tcl script with tixwish in the Solaris before. > But I cannot use the same method in Linux. Why? > > Is there any utility for me to compile or encrypt the code by using tixwish? > Tixwish is just a wish shell with the Tix package baked in. If TclPro does not have a specific bigwish with Tix included your out of luck on that road (but could build your own if you liked). You might have success with freewrap or TDK, don't know for su...

Scripting in Tcl?
Hello, I just got a pretty weird idea, but one that could be interesting from an academic point of view. Is there any scripting engine in pure Tcl, one that would allow me to convert something like this (metalanguage now, not Tcl): for i 0 .. 9 { putvar i } into 1: set i 0 2: putvar i 3: if i <= 9 goto 1 So that I can evaluate one command at a time, ie allow doing only 20 commands at a time. I'm considering writing a small strategic game that will allow scripting the objects, so that the players may write code for buildings/crafts and the game will be held on the game se...

Image with Tcl
Is there an image library that I can use with pure Tcl? No Tk? On Mon, 11 May 2009, Robert Hicks wrote: > Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 14:11:15 -0700 (PDT) > From: Robert Hicks <sigzero@gmail.com> > Newsgroups: comp.lang.tcl > Subject: Image with Tcl > > Is there an image library that I can use with pure Tcl? No Tk? > TclMagick works with tcl (not Tk), but is a bit of a bear to build. It implements the WAND interface, and allows drawing, text, image manipulations, resizing, conversion etc. etc. etc. Pretty complete. Alternatively, you can install ImageMagick and exec convert(.exe) to process image files in a home brewed work flow tool ... Another alternative is to use the TclGD interface to libGD ... GD is a graphics library with a generous license (Boutell) frequently linked into PHP for web use, and requires libpng, libjpeg, freetype, libz and a couple of other dependancies to build, but has been, and is easily built into a tcl extension which does not require tk. Another, albeit older alternative is netpbm, but this may require some toil on your part ... in a like manner to Im/convert, you could build up a work flow based upon the executables which exist as programs in user space. I believe that there exists an API form, but again, will require some coding in any event ... I believe pixane offers some image manipulation, but may require a tk/canvas, I can't recall. Also there is no source available, and licensing is not BSD ...

Script to convert Tcl scripts to Python?
Hi, I have a 10k+ line Tcl program that I would like to auto convert over to Python. Do any scripts exist that can convert ~90% of the standard Tcl syntax over to Python? I know Python doesn't handle strings, but just for general syntax e.g., puts > print, expr > math operations thanks On Apr 23, 9:17 am, "Achillez" <n...@na.com> wrote: > Hi, > > I have a 10k+ line Tcl program that I would like to auto convert over to > Python. Do any scripts exist that can convert ~90% of the standard Tcl > syntax over to Python? I know Python doesn't hand...

Hello It's Friday and... well... Two things about Tcl going through my mind this week, a nice anecdote and a eyebrow-rising thing on Wikipedia: Anecdote: Until three months ago I worked in a scientific institue where I wrote much software in Tcl, especially a big Build and Report System, some tools for automatic checking of coding style and other things. Tcl had a bad reputation there (not because of me... they dropped Tcl before I started there in favour of Joy, then JavaScript and now Python) and besides me, there was only one co-worker who appearantly writes some small Tcl-Scripts to support other researchers in their work. To get completely rid of Tcl, they even started to reimplement all things, I wrote in Tcl in Python just to have it in a language, that most of them know (which is a good decision on the one hand, but on the other hand, I think, it would be better to simply learn Tcl ;-), which made me a little bit sad. Now there is a new collegue who has to maintain some of the things I wrote. Comming from Perl he wasn't exactly enthusiastic when he heard, that he must maintain my old code in such an obscure language.. Two weeks ago, I got mail from him. He's just studying a complex system of scripts that are used for a sandboxed build system for source code which comes from external untrusted source and must be compiled and tested. Of course it's written in Tcl (and some bash-Scripting). He told me, that although he has never looked at Tcl before,...

tcl application with tcl application

best reference for Tcl Programming | http://freepdf-ebook.blogspot.com/2007/12/tcl-scripting-language.html
download now http://freepdf-ebook.blogspot.com/2007/12/tcl-scripting-language.html On 11 dec, 23:27, Tony Andreas <xtw...@gmail.com> wrote: > download nowhttp://freepdf-ebook.blogspot.com/2007/12/tcl-scripting-language.html I do not want to sound too critical or offend you in any way, but that page contains a few typos. You may want to correct these, as - at least to me, at first sight - it gives a bad impression about the quality of the work. Regards, Arjen On Dec 11, 5:27 pm, Tony Andreas <xtw...@gmail.com> wrote: > download nowhttp://freepdf-ebook.blogspot.com/2007/12/tcl-scripting-language.html I am a bit confused. Are you looking for the best reference for tcl programming? Or are you claiming that this 10 page document is better than the multi-hundred page books that are available, either online for free or in stores? What criteria was used to compare this document against other works? And what group compared the various works written for Tcl and declared this pdf the best? Just curious. ...

Tcl
Hello, where can I see for tcl syntacs and how-to run a tcl test? Thank You Vittore ___________________________________ Yahoo! Mail: gratis 1GB per i messaggi e allegati da 10MB http://mail.yahoo.it ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Posted to the ptolemy-hackers mailing list. Please send administrative mail for this list to: ptolemy-hackers-request@ptolemy.eecs.berkeley.edu ...

TCL
Hello, i would like to build TCL/TK as a separate DLL-Library. Can anyone tell me how this can be done with VC 6.0? Best regards, Reinhold "Reinhold.kwauka" <bernd-reinhold.kwauka@t-online.de> wrote: >Hello, > >i would like to build TCL/TK as a separate DLL-Library. Can anyone tell me >how this can be done >with VC 6.0? > >Best regards, >Reinhold > 1) get the source from http://tcl.sourceforge.net/ 2) open a command prompt 3) cd to the win/ subdirectory 4) call vcvars32.bat located in ??\vc98\bin\ of vc6 for wherever you installed it. 5) type @ the prompt: nmake -f makefile.vc -- David Gravereaux <davygrvy@pobox.com> [species: human; planet: earth,milkyway(western spiral arm),alpha sector] Reinhold.kwauka wrote: > Hello, > > i would like to build TCL/TK as a separate DLL-Library. Can anyone tell me > how this can be done > with VC 6.0? > > Best regards, > Reinhold > > Its already done. Just download a binary release for windows and check \Program Files\Tcl\lib for the DLLs and static libraries. ...

Tcl
Hello all. I found on hobbes the afaik latest Tcl for Os/2 v8.35 Is there any newer port, cause i try to update the eggdrop and that says: Your Tcl version is much too old for Eggdrop to use. You should download and compile a more recent version. The most reliable current version is 8.5.X and can be downloaded from ftp://tcl.activestate.com/pub/tcl/tcl8_5/. -- With the best regards from the Netherlands, Tu, "Tellerbop" <Tellerbop@wint.nl>, hai scritto questo in data Wed, 14 Jan 2009 19:11:18 UTC: > Hello all. > > I found on hobbes the afaik latest Tcl for Os/2...

Web resources about - Resizing images in a Tcl script - comp.lang.tcl

ASP.NET Image Resizing & Cropping Module for IIS - Free & Open Source
Resize, watermark, crop, rotate and filter from the image URL. Usable from javascript, css, html, php, ruby, python, asp, asp.net, anything! ...

Recutting and Resizing Saw Teeth - with Paul Sellers - YouTube
No matter the reason, this video show you how simple it is to cut new saw teeth in any handsaw. Yes, that means from small dovetail saws to the ...

This Upcoming Jailbreak Tweak Allows For Notification Resizing
... you can’t see the above video, please click this link .) Source: Jailbreak Nation This Upcoming Jailbreak Tweak Allows For Notification Resizing ...

Apple exploring self-resizing keys for iPhone keyboard
A patent application revealed on Thursday shows that Apple may be working on improving the accuracy of the touchscreen keyboards featured in ...

Greenshot adds screenshot callouts, resizing, more
You might have missed it over the holidays, but just before Christmas the excellent screenshot tool Greenshot was updated to version 1.2 with ...

'Seam carving' photo resizing now for video
Researchers have shown 'seam carving' for expanding or shrinking photos while preserving important elements, but now it works on video, too. ...

This Resizing Of The Batter's Box Sponsored By The Three Stooges
Yesterday's White Sox home opener against the Tigers was delayed when Detroit slugger Miguel Cabrera noticed the batter's boxes weren't in the ...

Gmail 4.2.1 for Android adds easier resizing, swipe features and more
That leaked Gmail APK we peeked at a month or so ago turned out to be right on the money. Google has just released version 4.2.1 of the Gmail ...

Resizing
June 22 (Bloomberg) Citigroup Inc., the bank that's lost more than any other in the collapse of the U.S. mortgage market, plans to fire as much ...

Apple Seems Slightly More Apologetic as it Removes Page Resizing Code
Apple continues to make an absolutely huge mess of apologising to Samsung, with the Javascript that initially hid the legal correction from view ...