same tcl different under ms windows and wine?

Something really odd just happened. I sent a friend a Starpack so that
he could test a program under MS Windows. When he ran it, he
encountered the old bug in which assigning a hexadecimal number like
0xFF to a scale variable fails because 0xFF is interpreted as non-
numeric. I've encountered this before and fixed it (by using decimal),
but evidently hadn't changed it here. The MS Windows runtime I used
turns out to be tcl 8.4.9, so it makes sense that the bug would turn
up when running the Starpack but not on my Linux systems since they
have 8.4.14 or later. The weird thing is that when I run the same
Starpack under Linux using Wine I get no such error. I don't see how
that is possible.

I don't need a solution to this since it is easy enough to fix the
problem, but I am curious since this seems to be one of those things
can't happen.

0
billposer (379)

Possible bug in Tcl or Windows or Tcl on Windows
Hi, There seems to be a bug in the way numbers are compared in Tcl. Consider the below script for calculating Pythagorean triplets. For hypotenuse upto a value of 100, there should have been 63 unique triplets. On Windows XP the script detects only 62. The script doesn't detect the case where c=99, b=20 ==> a=101. However running the same script under Tcl 8.4.1 in Cygwin detects 63 triplets. I don't have a Linux machine at hand to test it there. Following is the script and relevant output. Could anyone shed some light on the cause of this. Maybe it has something to do with how the numbers are represented internally? Running the script for N>100 shows up many more such missed values. An equivalent program in C runs correctly on the same machine. C code was compiled using both gcc and VC++6.0. ######################################################################### # a^2 = b^2 + c^2 proc pythag {MAX} { set i 0 for {set c 2} {$c <= $MAX} {incr c} { for {set b 1} {$b < $c} {incr b} { set a [expr hypot($c, $b)] ;# Calc. Hypot if { ($c == 99) && ($b == 20)} { ;# <<<<<<<< puts ">> [expr round($a)] == $a" } if {[expr round($a)] == $a} { puts "$a : $b : $c" incr i } } } return $i } if {$argc == 1} { set MAX [lindex $argv 0] } else { puts stderr "Usage: tclsh $argv0 N" exit } puts [pythag $MAX] ############# OUTPUT ################ Tcl 8.4.1 (Cygwi...

MS Dictation and TCL
I'm trying to use the MS dictation tool while in TCL 8.5 program. The text starts to appear, but then the program crashes. It would be great to find a way to make this work. Thanks! Barney Tcl 8.5 (wish 8.5) makeindex (12/14/2007) MSWinXP sp3 plenty of ram and storage ...

Why can execution results in tcl shell differ than if using tcl script??
Hi, I have been posting a thread here: http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/browse_thread/thread/983d7ef3e4b1ab54# I have another question that might be related to it, I'm doing set of tcl commands (involving external shell commands execution) one time in tcl shell, and the other from a tcl script.. Although both command sequences are the same, I get quite different results!!! Why did this happens?? Thanks, Ahmad Ahmad wrote: > Hi, > > I have been posting a thread here: > http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/browse_thread/thread/983d7ef3e4b1ab54# > > I have another question that might be related to it, I'm doing set of > tcl commands (involving external shell commands execution) one time in > tcl shell, and the other from a tcl script.. > > Although both command sequences are the same, I get quite different > results!!! Why did this happens?? > > Thanks, > Ahmad The interactive Tcl shell has access to external functionality that a running script doesn't. That's done to make the interactive environment easier to work with. What, specifically, is the command sequence you're issuing in both cases? Jeff Hi Jeff, Thank you for your reply. I've a tcl script that finally creates a certain script, that is when I run from shell using "calibredrv -gui <certainRunScript>" from command line it do exactly what I expect. I have tried two scenarios of trials, and only one of...

windows tcl/tk bug does not appear under Wine
I posted about this four days ago without a response so I'm reposting in the hope that somebody understands what is going on. I sent a friend a Starpack so that he could test a program under MS Windows. When he ran it, he encountered the old bug in which assigning a hexadecimal number like 0xFF to a scale variable (not "scalar", but the variable named in the -variable option of a scale widget) fails because 0xFF is interpreted as non- numeric. I've encountered this before and fixed it (by using decimal), but evidently hadn't changed it here. The MS Windows runtime I used turned out to be tcl 8.4.9, so it makes sense that the bug would turn up when running the Starpack but not on my Linux systems since they have 8.4.14 or later. The weird thing is that when I run the same Starpack under Linux using Wine I get no such error. I don't see how that is possible. The Tcl that is running under Wine is 8.4.9, not the later Linux version, so the bug should appear when running under Wine just as it does on a real Windows system. Does anyone understand how this could happen? billposer@alum.mit.edu wrote: > I sent a friend a Starpack so that he could test a program under MS > Windows. When he ran it, he encountered the old bug in which assigning > a hexadecimal number like 0xFF to a scale variable (not "scalar", but > the variable named in the -variable option of a scale widget) fails > because 0xFF is interpreted as non- numeric. I&#...

Hello It's Friday and... well... Two things about Tcl going through my mind this week, a nice anecdote and a eyebrow-rising thing on Wikipedia: Anecdote: Until three months ago I worked in a scientific institue where I wrote much software in Tcl, especially a big Build and Report System, some tools for automatic checking of coding style and other things. Tcl had a bad reputation there (not because of me... they dropped Tcl before I started there in favour of Joy, then JavaScript and now Python) and besides me, there was only one co-worker who appearantly writes some small Tcl-Scripts to support other researchers in their work. To get completely rid of Tcl, they even started to reimplement all things, I wrote in Tcl in Python just to have it in a language, that most of them know (which is a good decision on the one hand, but on the other hand, I think, it would be better to simply learn Tcl ;-), which made me a little bit sad. Now there is a new collegue who has to maintain some of the things I wrote. Comming from Perl he wasn't exactly enthusiastic when he heard, that he must maintain my old code in such an obscure language.. Two weeks ago, I got mail from him. He's just studying a complex system of scripts that are used for a sandboxed build system for source code which comes from external untrusted source and must be compiled and tested. Of course it's written in Tcl (and some bash-Scripting). He told me, that although he has never looked at Tcl before,...

Tcl + windows
Just quickly - When trying to run TCL programs under Windows (XP), if I leave the TCL_LIBRARY environment variable UNset, then it complains about not being able to find init.tcl, but if I set it - even if it is an incorrect path - it crashes (does the "send bug report?" thing). Thanks. gjb. "Gareth Bradley" <gb20@cs.waikato.ac.nz> wrote: >Just quickly - When trying to run TCL programs under Windows (XP), if I >leave the TCL_LIBRARY environment variable UNset, then it complains about >not being able to find init.tcl, but if I set it - even if it is an >incorrect path - it crashes (does the "send bug report?" thing). > >Thanks. > >gjb. I think it need to be a forward slash / style. Better yet, run tclsh from the proper install location, or just re-run the installer that put it there to fix it. From where tcl84.dll is (and probably tclsh84.exe as well), .../lib/8.4 is where init.tcl should be. -- David Gravereaux <davygrvy@pobox.com> [species: human; planet: earth,milkyway(western spiral arm),alpha sector] Gareth Bradley wrote: > Just quickly - When trying to run TCL programs under Windows (XP), if I > leave the TCL_LIBRARY environment variable UNset, then it complains about > not being able to find init.tcl, but if I set it - even if it is an > incorrect path - it crashes (does the "send bug report?" thing). My guess is that you have an invalid install. A proper install should ...

How to compile tcl or encrypt tcl
I use TclPro1.5 to compile my tcl script with tixwish in the Solaris before. But I cannot use the same method in Linux. Why? Is there any utility for me to compile or encrypt the code by using tixwish? The following is the simple code if I use the tixwish: #!/home/albertl/local/bin/tixwish puts "haha" And after using procomp by the TclPro1.5 Error in startup script: The TclPro ByteCode Loader is not available or does not support the correct version while executing "error "The TclPro ByteCode Loader is not available or does not support the correct version"" invoked from within "if {[catch {package require tbcload 1.3} err] == 1} { error "The TclPro ByteCode Loader is not available or does not support the correct version" ...." (file "a.tbc" line 4) The problem seems that tbcload1.3 cannot be found? But tbcload is already there "/home/albertl/local/lib/tbcload1.3" Why? Can anyone tell me? stratus schrieb: > I use TclPro1.5 to compile my tcl script with tixwish in the Solaris before. > But I cannot use the same method in Linux. Why? > > Is there any utility for me to compile or encrypt the code by using tixwish? > Tixwish is just a wish shell with the Tix package baked in. If TclPro does not have a specific bigwish with Tix included your out of luck on that road (but could build your own if you liked). You might have success with freewrap or TDK, don't know for su...

tcl on windows
Hi all, I just started learning tcl to do some small automation using expect and I am kind of struck with basic "Hello World" prog :). Can any one help me to resolve this? I am working on windows xp and when I use "puts" stmt, I wanted to write output to standard stdout ( command prompt). Instead what happens is it opens graphical window with name being the file name. #!/bin/sh # \ exec tclsh "$0" ${1+"$@"} puts stdout "Hello World" My task is to write a samll expect script that should return the o/p when called from another perl /python script. Thanks in advance Bharath On 23 Apr., 18:37, bharath <bharath_ja...@hotmail.com> wrote: > I am working on windows xp =A0and when I use "puts" stmt, I wanted to > write output to standard stdout ( command prompt). Instead what > happens is it opens graphical window with name being the file name. > #!/bin/sh > # \ > exec tclsh "$0" =A0${1+"$@"} These three lines are ignored by Tcl, and Windows as well. I suppose your .tcl files are associated with the wish.exe, which opens a Tk console what you describe below.... > puts stdout "Hello World" In a DOS prompt window, just type tclsh myscript.tcl and stdin/out/err will remain tied to that window. On Apr 23, 1:10=A0pm, suchenwi <richard.suchenwirth- bauersa...@siemens.com> wrote: > On 23 Apr., 18:37, bharath <bharath_ja...@hotmail.com> wrote: &g...

tcl application with tcl application

wntbackup.tcl
Hi! I wrote the wntbackup.tcl script that is an interface to the Microsoft Windows Backup Utility (ntbackup.exe that comes with some versions of Microsoft Windows). It can be used to back up data to a file or to a stand-alone tape library (tape drive). The backups created using wntbackup.tcl can be restored with ntbackup.exe. wntbackup.tcl simplifies reporting (the backup log can be sent via e-mail) and managing backup files created in backup jobs that are scheduled to run regularly. Limitations (when compared to ntbackup.exe) - In a backup to a file it uses a new file for each backup job, i.e. a backup file cannot be appended. - In a backup to a tape it is designed for unmanaged method of backup which requires manual loading of media (see more at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/239892) and therefore a backup overwrites any tape that is currently in the tape drive. More over, the script does not allow spanning of backup media. See more at http://code.google.com/p/wntbackup/ -- rpr. ...

MS-Windows binaries for Tcl/Tk 8.4.12...
I am looking for Tcl/Tk 8.4.12 *binaries* for MS-Windows for use with cross-building under Linux. Yes, I have the ActiveState CD set, but the MS-Windows binaries are in some 'self-installer', which does me no good under Linux. All that Source Forge has is the sources. I really don't want to cross-build Tcl/Tk itself -- I don't need the whole system anyway, just the public header files, the tclConfig.sh and tkConfig.sh files, and stub libraries. That is the 8.4.12 equivalent of: /usr/local/cross-tools/Win32/bin: tcl83.dll tclpip83.dll tclsh83.exe* tk83.dll wish83.exe* /usr/local/cross-tools/Win32/include: tcl.h tclDecls.h tk.h tkDecls.h /usr/local/cross-tools/Win32/lib: dde1.1/ libtclstub83.a libtkstub83.a tcl8.3/ tk8.3/ libtcl83.a libtk83.a reg1.0/ tclConfig.sh tkConfig.sh I can't seem to find this anywhere, at least not in the usual places (Source Forge, etc.). Does anyone have these files somewhere in a format that I can deal with under Linux (such as in a .zip file)? All I've found from Google are the above (Tcl/Tk 8.3.0) from http://programming.ccp14.ac.uk/ftp-mirror/programming/mumit-khan/pub/khan/tcl/gnu-win32/ Robert Heller -- 978-544-6933 Deepwoods Software -- Linux Installation and Administration http://www.deepsoft.com/ -- Web Hosting, with CGI and Database heller@deepsoft.com -- Contract Programming: C/C++, Tcl/Tk ...

TCL on windows?
hi what environment do you suggest me to start learning TCL on windows? thanks In article <mn.732e7d77c2d3be1c.77691@ginko.ginko>, ginko <ginko@ginko.ginko> wrote: >hi what environment do you suggest me to start learning TCL on windows? >thanks > > I'm not sure what you mean by your question. Possible answers: A. Read <URL: http://wiki.tcl.tk/15577 >; B. Install <URL: http://wiki.tcl.tk/1875 >; C. Read <URL: http://wiki.tcl.tk/1681 >; D. Purchase <URL: http://wiki.tcl.tk/3960 >; .... On Jul 14, 7:34 am, ginko <gi...@ginko.ginko> wrote: > hi what environment do you suggest me to start learning TCL on windows? > thanks You want the Activestate version called ActiveTcl and a good book (Brent Welch's is the one I swear by at the moment). Have fun with Tcl! Robert On Jul 14, 12:34 pm, ginko <gi...@ginko.ginko> wrote: > hi what environment do you suggest me to start learning TCL on windows? > thanks You will need........ 1. Active Tcl Distribution http://www.activestate.com/products/activetcl/ 2. Syntax checker - http://nagelfar.berlios.de/ 3. Debugger - http://www2.compassis.com/ramdebugger All the above are free. The syntax checker is a must as Tcl's bracing and quoting are difficult for beginners. Use the debugger to walk through example code. This is by far the quickest way to learn programming. Other options are: 4. IDE - Eclipse Tcl plugin http://www.eclipse.org/...

TCL
Hello, i would like to build TCL/TK as a separate DLL-Library. Can anyone tell me how this can be done with VC 6.0? Best regards, Reinhold "Reinhold.kwauka" <bernd-reinhold.kwauka@t-online.de> wrote: >Hello, > >i would like to build TCL/TK as a separate DLL-Library. Can anyone tell me >how this can be done >with VC 6.0? > >Best regards, >Reinhold > 1) get the source from http://tcl.sourceforge.net/ 2) open a command prompt 3) cd to the win/ subdirectory 4) call vcvars32.bat located in ??\vc98\bin\ of vc6 for wherever you installed it. 5) type @ the prompt: nmake -f makefile.vc -- David Gravereaux <davygrvy@pobox.com> [species: human; planet: earth,milkyway(western spiral arm),alpha sector] Reinhold.kwauka wrote: > Hello, > > i would like to build TCL/TK as a separate DLL-Library. Can anyone tell me > how this can be done > with VC 6.0? > > Best regards, > Reinhold > > Its already done. Just download a binary release for windows and check \Program Files\Tcl\lib for the DLLs and static libraries. ...

Tcl
Hello all. I found on hobbes the afaik latest Tcl for Os/2 v8.35 Is there any newer port, cause i try to update the eggdrop and that says: Your Tcl version is much too old for Eggdrop to use. You should download and compile a more recent version. The most reliable current version is 8.5.X and can be downloaded from ftp://tcl.activestate.com/pub/tcl/tcl8_5/. -- With the best regards from the Netherlands, Tu, "Tellerbop" <Tellerbop@wint.nl>, hai scritto questo in data Wed, 14 Jan 2009 19:11:18 UTC: > Hello all. > > I found on hobbes the afaik latest Tcl for Os/2...

Tcl
Hello, where can I see for tcl syntacs and how-to run a tcl test? Thank You Vittore ___________________________________ Yahoo! Mail: gratis 1GB per i messaggi e allegati da 10MB http://mail.yahoo.it ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Posted to the ptolemy-hackers mailing list. Please send administrative mail for this list to: ptolemy-hackers-request@ptolemy.eecs.berkeley.edu ...

difference between tcl 8.4.2 & 8.4.4
% exec $env(COMSPEC) /c net config This command now fails on Tcl 8.4.4 What can I do instead? to run with either version of tcl and windows 98. "couldn't execute "C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM": no such file or directory" Running on Win 98. Win XP is ok. Peter Campbell wrote: > % exec $env(COMSPEC) /c net config > > This command now fails on Tcl 8.4.4 > What can I do instead? to run with either version of tcl and windows 98. > > "couldn't execute "C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM": no such file or directory" > > Running on Win 98...

Web resources about - same tcl different under ms windows and wine? - comp.lang.tcl

Kids React To Donald Trump
It's safe to say Donald Trump is one of the most polarizing figures in the world of politics today, drawing comparisons to Hitler, Stalin and ...

26-year-old man arrested in connection with Iditarod crashes
KRON4.com 26-year-old man arrested in connection with Iditarod crashes KRON4.com This undated photo provided by Husky Homestead shows Nash, ...

Two people killed in ultralight plane crash in Yarrawonga
Two people have been killed in an ultralight plane crash in the state's far north.

Nickelodeon’s 2016 Kids’ Choice Awards
Show host Blake Shelton is ‘slimed’ during Nickelodeon’s 2016 Kids’ Choice Awards in Inglewood, California. — Reuters pic

Google AlphaGo AI loses 4th match against champion, still winning 3-1
AlphaGo, the artificial intelligence from Google's DeepMind project, has finally had its winning streak against Go world champion Lee Sedol broken. ...

Daylight Saving Time
Tech Times Daylight Saving Time - Is It An Idea Whose Time Is Past? Tech Times Daylight saving time means most Americans recently set their ...

Officials say unrest at prison in Alabama leaves 2 hurt
Inmates set a fire, seized control of a dormitory and stabbed two corrections officials during a violent uprising at a prison in southern Alabama, ...

Germanwings Crash Report: Investigators Urge Better Reporting After Doctor Refused To Divulge Pilot’s ...
A Germanwings crash report has revealed that doctors who treated Germanwings pilot Andreas Lubitz for depression and mental illness before he ...

Solar EV Charging Station Built By High School Students
Originally published on Sustainnovate. By Henry Lindon A working solar electric vehicle charging station was recently built by a team of students ...

Unusually widespread flooding across Louisiana, Mississippi
HATTIESBURG, Miss. (AP) — As the Leaf River rose north of Hattiesburg, Mississippi, 26-year-old Rebecca Bruce and her fiancé grabbed what they ...