Tcl-2006 - Last Chance to Register

Online Registration will close after work hours on Friday, October 6.

Don't miss special speakers Richard Hipp and Richard Suchenwirth,
technical papers, tutorials and awards.

At-The-Door Registration will open at the Naperville Holiday Inn Select
on Monday Morning at about 08:00.

Visit
http://www.tcl.tk/community/tcl2006
for details.

The audio for last year's papers is available at
http://www.tcl.tk/community/tcl2005

--
..... Clif Flynt ... http://www.cflynt.com ... clif@cflynt.com ...
... Tcl/Tk: A Developer's Guide (2nd edition) - Morgan Kauffman ..

0
clif2990 (18)

Clif Flynt wrote:

> Don't miss special speakers Richard Hipp and Richard Suchenwirth,
> technical papers, tutorials and awards.

> Visit
> http://www.tcl.tk/community/tcl2006
> for details.

I sure hope that many of you out there, looking for ways to help the
tcl community, but feeling that you don't have the technical skills to
write new tcl core code, go sign up for this.Participating in this
conference is a great way to learn more about Tcl - the first two days
have a variety of interesting 1/2 tutorial classes. The last three days
are filled with interesting talks on great ways tcl is being used in
industry, new extensions and applications which you can use, and, best
of all, lots of chances for you to shake hands with many of the men and
women you read about here and elsewhere within the community.

Everyone - sign up today!

0
lvirden (1938)
10/6/2006 1:33:50 PM
On 2006-10-06, Clif Flynt <clif@cflynt.com> wrote:
> Online Registration will close after work hours on Friday, October 6.
>
> Don't miss special speakers Richard Hipp and Richard Suchenwirth,
> technical papers, tutorials and awards.

Will it be possible to buy dvds, video or audio, of the conference?

marc
--
ms4720@sdf.lonestar.org
ms4720 (100)
marc spitzer wrote:
> Will it be possible to buy dvds, video or audio, of the conference?

The technical programme will be recorded and will be online (and will
also be available as an audio stream). The details will be on the wiki
or the website a little closer to the time. I have no idea if anyone's
going to try to sell you a DVD of the audio streams. Myself, I think you
should be attending instead, especially as tutorials definitely won't be
recorded, and the more social aspects of the conference are difficult to
record in any useful way. :-)

Donal.
On 2006-10-06, Donal K. Fellows <donal.k.fellows@manchester.ac.uk> wrote:
> marc spitzer wrote:
>> Will it be possible to buy dvds, video or audio, of the conference?
>
> The technical programme will be recorded and will be online (and will
> also be available as an audio stream). The details will be on the wiki
> or the website a little closer to the time. I have no idea if anyone's

Good to know

> going to try to sell you a DVD of the audio streams. Myself, I think you
> should be attending instead, especially as tutorials definitely won't be
> recorded, and the more social aspects of the conference are difficult to
> record in any useful way. :-)
>
> Donal.

I agree, but half a loaf is better then none.

marc

--
ms4720@sdf.lonestar.org
ms4720 (100)

tcl application with tcl application

How to compile tcl or encrypt tcl
I use TclPro1.5 to compile my tcl script with tixwish in the Solaris before. But I cannot use the same method in Linux. Why? Is there any utility for me to compile or encrypt the code by using tixwish? The following is the simple code if I use the tixwish: #!/home/albertl/local/bin/tixwish puts "haha" And after using procomp by the TclPro1.5 Error in startup script: The TclPro ByteCode Loader is not available or does not support the correct version while executing "error "The TclPro ByteCode Loader is not available or does not support the correct version"" invoked from within "if {[catch {package require tbcload 1.3} err] == 1} { error "The TclPro ByteCode Loader is not available or does not support the correct version" ...." (file "a.tbc" line 4) The problem seems that tbcload1.3 cannot be found? But tbcload is already there "/home/albertl/local/lib/tbcload1.3" Why? Can anyone tell me? stratus schrieb: > I use TclPro1.5 to compile my tcl script with tixwish in the Solaris before. > But I cannot use the same method in Linux. Why? > > Is there any utility for me to compile or encrypt the code by using tixwish? > Tixwish is just a wish shell with the Tix package baked in. If TclPro does not have a specific bigwish with Tix included your out of luck on that road (but could build your own if you liked). You might have success with freewrap or TDK, don't know for su...

Hello It's Friday and... well... Two things about Tcl going through my mind this week, a nice anecdote and a eyebrow-rising thing on Wikipedia: Anecdote: Until three months ago I worked in a scientific institue where I wrote much software in Tcl, especially a big Build and Report System, some tools for automatic checking of coding style and other things. Tcl had a bad reputation there (not because of me... they dropped Tcl before I started there in favour of Joy, then JavaScript and now Python) and besides me, there was only one co-worker who appearantly writes some small Tcl-Scripts to support other researchers in their work. To get completely rid of Tcl, they even started to reimplement all things, I wrote in Tcl in Python just to have it in a language, that most of them know (which is a good decision on the one hand, but on the other hand, I think, it would be better to simply learn Tcl ;-), which made me a little bit sad. Now there is a new collegue who has to maintain some of the things I wrote. Comming from Perl he wasn't exactly enthusiastic when he heard, that he must maintain my old code in such an obscure language.. Two weeks ago, I got mail from him. He's just studying a complex system of scripts that are used for a sandboxed build system for source code which comes from external untrusted source and must be compiled and tested. Of course it's written in Tcl (and some bash-Scripting). He told me, that although he has never looked at Tcl before,...

Tcl
Hello, where can I see for tcl syntacs and how-to run a tcl test? Thank You Vittore ___________________________________ Yahoo! Mail: gratis 1GB per i messaggi e allegati da 10MB http://mail.yahoo.it ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Posted to the ptolemy-hackers mailing list. Please send administrative mail for this list to: ptolemy-hackers-request@ptolemy.eecs.berkeley.edu ...

Tcl
Hello all. I found on hobbes the afaik latest Tcl for Os/2 v8.35 Is there any newer port, cause i try to update the eggdrop and that says: Your Tcl version is much too old for Eggdrop to use. You should download and compile a more recent version. The most reliable current version is 8.5.X and can be downloaded from ftp://tcl.activestate.com/pub/tcl/tcl8_5/. -- With the best regards from the Netherlands, Tu, "Tellerbop" <Tellerbop@wint.nl>, hai scritto questo in data Wed, 14 Jan 2009 19:11:18 UTC: > Hello all. > > I found on hobbes the afaik latest Tcl for Os/2...

TCL
Hello, i would like to build TCL/TK as a separate DLL-Library. Can anyone tell me how this can be done with VC 6.0? Best regards, Reinhold "Reinhold.kwauka" <bernd-reinhold.kwauka@t-online.de> wrote: >Hello, > >i would like to build TCL/TK as a separate DLL-Library. Can anyone tell me >how this can be done >with VC 6.0? > >Best regards, >Reinhold > 1) get the source from http://tcl.sourceforge.net/ 2) open a command prompt 3) cd to the win/ subdirectory 4) call vcvars32.bat located in ??\vc98\bin\ of vc6 for wherever you installed it. 5) type @ the prompt: nmake -f makefile.vc -- David Gravereaux <davygrvy@pobox.com> [species: human; planet: earth,milkyway(western spiral arm),alpha sector] Reinhold.kwauka wrote: > Hello, > > i would like to build TCL/TK as a separate DLL-Library. Can anyone tell me > how this can be done > with VC 6.0? > > Best regards, > Reinhold > > Its already done. Just download a binary release for windows and check \Program Files\Tcl\lib for the DLLs and static libraries. ...

MS Dictation and TCL
I'm trying to use the MS dictation tool while in TCL 8.5 program. The text starts to appear, but then the program crashes. It would be great to find a way to make this work. Thanks! Barney Tcl 8.5 (wish 8.5) makeindex (12/14/2007) MSWinXP sp3 plenty of ram and storage ...

How Tcl source finds init.tcl???
Hi, I have one question about how Tcl finds init.tcl. What environment variable does Tcl source use to get the search path for init.tcl? Is there any way to specifically use init.tcl from a certain path? Thanks a lot in advance! Lihong lihong pei wrote: > I have one question about how Tcl finds init.tcl. > What environment variable does Tcl source use to get the search path for > init.tcl? If the environment variable TCL_LIBRARY exists, it's value is assumed to be a single directory which is added to the search path for init.tcl. Note that this is offered mostly as a way for...

Inline::Tcl vs. Inline::Tcl
The readme for CPAN's Inline::Tcl says this: > This module is not related to the Inline::Tcl module, but it might be > valuable to have some compatibility between the two. > This sentence seems to suggest that there is another module named Inline::Tcl somewhere. Is this true, and if so, where can I find it? Mumia W. wrote: > The readme for CPAN's Inline::Tcl says this: > > > This module is not related to the Inline::Tcl module, but it might be > > valuable to have some compatibility between the two. > > > > This sentence seems to suggest ...

[TCL] diff type operations in TCL
I didn't see anything in tcllib and thus far haven't turned up anything that looks like it will work. I would like to know if there is a TCL package, or already written procedure, that will do a simple diff of two files and tell me if they're the same or if they have differences. Is there anything like this? --------------------------------------------- Andrew R. Falanga (a non-HP employee) Hewlett-Packard Company 11311 Chinden Blvd. Boise, Idaho --------------------------------------------- Please note: The e-mail address is purposely mangled. I do not wish my account at HP to become a spam haven. Andrew Falanga wrote: > I didn't see anything in tcllib and thus far haven't turned up anything > that looks like it will work. I would like to know if there is a TCL > package, or already written procedure, that will do a simple diff of two > files and tell me if they're the same or if they have differences. > > Is there anything like this? If all you want to know is if they are different, then: set fd [open $file1 r] set f1 [read $fd] close $fd set fd [open $file2 r] set f2 [read $fd] close $fd if {[string equal $f1 $f2]} then { puts "'$file1' and '$file2' are the same." } else { puts "'$file1' and '$file2' are different." } -- +--------------------------------+---------------------------------------+ | Gerald W. Lester ...

Tcl extension: check Tcl version?
Is there a recommended way to check if a (binary) Tcl extension is loaded to the same Tcl version that was used for linking the extension? Currently I'm encountering a problem with an extension that I have built (and linked) with libtk8.3.so and that can be loaded under wish8.5 as well (without re-bulding, using package require). A number of newly provided commands work well in spite of the version mixture, but others don't, and wish8.5 crashes when these commands are used. Is this behavior normal, i.e. should I check that compile-time version and run-time version are identical? Or does this indicate some subtle coding problem? Thanks for any suggestions Olaf Olaf Dietrich wrote: > Is there a recommended way to check if a (binary) Tcl extension > is loaded to the same Tcl version that was used for linking > the extension? > > Currently I'm encountering a problem with an extension that > I have built (and linked) with libtk8.3.so and that can be > loaded under wish8.5 as well (without re-bulding, using > package require). A number of newly provided commands work > well in spite of the version mixture, but others don't, and > wish8.5 crashes when these commands are used. > > Is this behavior normal, i.e. should I check that compile-time > version and run-time version are identical? Or does this > indicate some subtle coding problem? Not subtle. Major problem. DO NOT DO THAT. If you want to be loadable across mult...

[TCL] multi-threaded tcl apps
Hi, Where can one find complete documentation on the ttrace package to the Thread package? I'd like to know what commands are available in ttrace and how to use them. --------------------------------------------- Andrew R. Falanga (a non-HP employee) Hewlett-Packard Company 11311 Chinden Blvd. Boise, Idaho --------------------------------------------- Please note: The e-mail address is purposely mangled. I do not wish my account at HP to become a spam haven. If you wish to e-mail me, the address consists of a dot between my first and last names (excluding my middle initial). The rest is accurate. Also, note, responses must be within the given context of messages I've posted to usenet. If it's not, I WILL NOT RESPOND! ...

Debugger for Tcl/Tk and [incr Tcl]

dynamic call of tcl proc from tcl
Hello, I would like to invoce a tcl proc from a line of tcl where I have a proc name and a list variable of arguments. eg. % callproc $procName $argList where: ..callproc - TCL Procedure for dynamically calling procedures ..procName - Name of procedure to be called in a string ..argList - List of Arguments My goal is to avoid creating a procedure call as a string and evaluating it as there are many potential pitfalls with using evals in such a way. Thanks, JsD Java script Dude wrote: > I would like to invoce a tcl proc from a line of tcl where I have a > proc name and a list variable of arguments. > > eg. % callproc $procName $argList > > where: > .callproc - TCL Procedure for dynamically calling procedures > .procName - Name of procedure to be called in a string > .argList - List of Arguments Except for error/exception handling, the answer is: proc callproc {cmd argList} { uplevel 1 [linsert $argList 0 $cmd] } -- | Don Porter Mathematical and Computational Sciences Division | | donald.porter@nist.gov Information Technology Laboratory | | http://math.nist.gov/~DPorter/ NIST | |______________________________________________________________________| [; Thanks Don ;] ...

Tcl command to evaluate a tcl script?
Hi all, I need to evaluate a separate tcl file within a tcl file. Is there any tcl command to evaluate a tcl file ? Regards, Prabu.K prabu wrote: > Hi all, > > I need to evaluate a separate tcl file within a tcl file. Is there any > tcl command to evaluate a tcl file ? > > Regards, > Prabu.K > hi, try: source your_other_tcl_file.tcl cheers, Tobi ...

Tcl command to evaluate a tcl script? #2
Hi all, I need to evaluate a separate tcl file within a tcl file. Is there any tcl command to evaluate a tcl file ? Regards, Prabu.K prabu wrote: > I need to evaluate a separate tcl file within a tcl file. Is there any > tcl command to evaluate a tcl file ? You're probably looking for the "source" command. Other commands of interest would be "package require" or "eval". The command "load" is for binary shared libraries. -- Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST) Scruffitarianism - Where T-shirt, jeans, and a three-day beard are "Sunday Best." Thanks Darren. But what my need is that I am writing a tcl script which is going to take any tcl script as input and should return the output of the file. How can I do that? Regards, Prabu Darren New wrote: > prabu wrote: > > I need to evaluate a separate tcl file within a tcl file. Is there any > > tcl command to evaluate a tcl file ? > > You're probably looking for the "source" command. > > Other commands of interest would be "package require" or "eval". The > command "load" is for binary shared libraries. > > -- > Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST) > Scruffitarianism - Where T-shirt, jeans, > and a three-day beard are "Sunday Best." On 17 Dec 2006 21:16:16 -0800, "prabu" <catchme.prabu@gmail.com> wrote: > Thanks Dar...

Tcl-2004 Update: More food and Tcl jobs
Gerald just finished some negotiating with the hotel, and we've increased the meals at Tcl-2004. There will be free breakfast, lunch and breaks on all days, and free dinner on Wed and Thur. We'll have an open bar a couple of the conference nights also. Just the food is worth more than the registration fee! Add in the technical talks, panels, camaraderie and social networking, and this conference is a bargain you won't see again. At least two groups that are looking for Tcl/Tk developers will be present, so bring a resume if you're on the prowl. Online registration will cl...

Web resources about - Tcl-2006 - Last Chance to Register - comp.lang.tcl