Tcl 8.6

Hi folks!

Funny question, but when Tcl 8.6 will finally released?

On 5/10/11 9:24 AM, Alexander Nusov wrote:
> Hi folks!
>
> Funny question, but when Tcl 8.6 will finally released?

Tcl release are kind of like hush puppies -- they come out when they are done.

| Gerald W. Lester, President, KNG Consulting LLC                        |
| Email: Gerald.Lester@kng-consulting.net                                |
On May 10, 10:24=A0am, Alexander Nusov <alexander.nu...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Hi folks!
>
> Funny question, but when Tcl 8.6 will finally released?

Unfortunately, it appears to me that all previous attempts to
establish a date seem to have been unsuccessful.

The more of the outstanding serious bugs that get resolved before the
release date, the better, right?
0
lvirden (1938)

Bug789040 came back in Tcl 8.4.6 and Tcl 8.5.
Dear All, Bug 789040 caused exec error in Windows 9x and was fixed in 10/04/03. But it came back in Tcl 8.4.6 and Tcl 8.5. Tcl Windows 9x users should be alerted to the possible failure of exec in the current Tcl 8.4.6 and 8.5 releases due to this bug. Chengye Mao http://www.geocities.com/~chengye Chengye Mao wrote: > Bug 789040 caused exec error in Windows 9x and was fixed in 10/04/03. > But it came back in Tcl 8.4.6 and Tcl 8.5. Tcl Windows 9x users > should be alerted to the possible failure of exec in the current Tcl > 8.4.6 and 8.5 releases due to this bug. Have you i...

Binary reader speed comparison
I have a fairly simple binary reader proc that exhibits massive speed differences between Tcl 8.5.8 and Tcl8.6b1.1. Here's the proc: proc readFormatted {filename} { set fd [ open $filename r ] fconfigure $fd -encoding binary -translation binary binary scan [ read $fd 2 ] cc type nextlen if {$type != 75} { return -error "File is not in the expected format" } while {![append buffer [read $fd $nextlen] ; eof $fd]} { binary scan [read $fd 2] cc lastlen nextlen # convert to unsigned value set nextlen ...

Tcl 8.6, ActiveTcl 8.6 & linux Fedora 16 (64 bit)...
Hi all, Just a quick note about installing ActiveTcl 8.6 under Fedora 16, 64 bit. Downloading ActiveTcl 8.6 and trying to run the installer, fails. The reason is that libXss.so, is missing from the system, and Tk seems to need this. The problem can be "resolved" by installing the package "libXScrnSaver". But there is no such package for Fedora 16, and (thankfully) the package gets installed from Fedora 15. Maybe this is a "sign" that libXss.so will disappear in the (near?) future... George PS: Also the mysql TDBC driver crashes, as the shared library has evolved to version 18 (and the sources try to load versions 15 & 16). Changing the sources to also load .18 fixes the problem. (But I would prefer an error message than a core dump...) ...

can you run e commerce site using just tcl 8.6.2 and a pure tcl webserver?
and have decent performance? ...

Tcl OO mixins and inheritence behaviour change from version 8.6.2 to version 8.6.3
Hi, it seems that implementation of object oriented functionality in tcl8.6.3 changed in a away that breaks my existing code. My test code looks like this: oo::class create MixinClass { method helloWorld {args} { puts "[self class]" catch { next } } } oo::class create BaseClass { mixin MixinClass method helloWorld {args} { puts "[self class]" catch { next } } } oo::class create TargetClass { superclass BaseClass method helloWorld {args} { puts "[self class]" catch { next } } }...

regsub in tcl 8.5 and 8.6
parse this row set a "123(qwe)" in tcl 8.6 # regsub -all "\\(.*" $a "" 123qwe) in tcl 8.5 # regsub -all "\\(.*" $a "" 123 What to do ? Thank you for the report. Confirmed with 8.5.16 and 8.6.2 Aparently, 8.6 is not as greedy as 8.5. I don't know if this is a bug or a feature. Could you please register a bug report at: core.tcl.tk/tcl -> Login as anonymous -> New ticket The most important people don't read clt but read bug reports... Thank you, Harald 0L/QvtC90LXQtNC10LvRjNC90LjQuiwgOCDRgdC10L3RgtG...

TCL is not thread safer in TCL 8.3 or 8.4... Any plans to fix this?
It is a shame that I can't upgrade one of my applications due to this problem, though the memory leaks also intorduced in 8.3 and 8.4 are problem as well. :( I have a process that spawn a configurable number of thread with a TCL intrepeter in each one. The interps are isolated and do not communicate or share anything withe each other. Each thread is a rule processor that is handed TCL scripts based on what events occurs within a multi process enviroment rnaing across the whole itnerprize... Works great with TCL 8.2, not a single problem... But with TCL 8.3 and TCL 8.4 we get quite a f...

Compatibility issues of Tcl/Tk 8.6 with windows 8...
Hi all, I am facing a strange compatibility issue between tcl/tk 8.6 and the windows 8 (at least the 64 bit version) operating system. The problem as observed from the user point of view is a general "sluggishness", the application is slow and painful to use. Timing various actions, I have found that there are unexplained delays from 1,5 to 3 seconds inserted between successive tcl commands, most around calling tcloo methods from outside the object. For example, I have a tcloo class, which builds some part of a GUI. From inside a method, I create a button: ttk::button $client_area.annotate -textvariable [my msgVar Annotate] \ -command "puts \"[clock format [clock seconds]]\" ; [self] onAnnotate" This class has an "onAnnotate" method (which the button command calls): method onAnnotate {} { puts "[clock format [clock seconds]]: =============== onAnnotate" ... } When I run the application, there is *always* a time delay of 1-3 seconds inserted between the first puts statement, and the second puts, which is the first command of method onAnnotate: Mon May 27 19:56:59 EEST 2013 Mon May 27 19:58:22 EEST 2013: =============== onAnnotate Mon May 27 19:56:59 EEST 2013 Mon May 27 19:58:54 EEST 2013: =============== onAnnotate However, this happens when I run the application under windows 8. Under windows 7, I don't see this delay, everything is much much faster ...

Incr Tcl /Tk for Tcl 8.4

tcl 8.6.4
Hi, Using 8.3.0, compiled on AIX 6.1 with no problems. It compiles with the xlc= compiler. But when I try to build tcl 8.6.4, I notice some changes. Configure uses xl= c_r rather than xlc. But the difference that causes a problem is setting TC= L_LIBRARY snd TCL_PACKAGE_PATH.tclUnixInit.c is the only file that uses the= se extra variables in make and I get the following errors. xlcwrapper_r -c -DNDEBUG -O -DBUILD_tcl -I"." -I/tmp/xxxxxx/tcl8.6.4/un= ix -I/tmp/xxxxxx/tcl8.6.4/generic -I/tmp/xxxxxx/tcl8.6.4/libtommath -DPACK= AGE_NAME=3D\"tcl\" -DPACKAGE_TARN...

'lrange' differences in tcl 8.4 and 8.6
Hi, lrange works differently in tcl versions 8.4 and 8.6, if the output has only #. % info patch 8.4.13 % % set test {a "#"} a "#" % set testme [lrange $test 1 end] # % info patch 8.6.1 % set test2 {a "#"} a "#" % set testme [lrange $test2 1 end] {#} Is this an intentional change ? Most of our regression scripts are failing after upgrade to 8.6.1, as the regular expressions don't match, as lrange was earlier returning #, but after upgrade {#} Regards, Lucky Lucky Y <ylucki@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi, >...

Tcl SOAP
OK - Believe it or not, I have a "requirement" to use SOAP! The last time I worked with this, it did not work at all. So the following quesitons come to mind: Has it improved any - and it is working on Tcl 8.4.1 or later? Anyone using it for connecting to Web Services? Anyone using it to provide Web Services? I will immediately need to connect to a Web Service using SOAP (this is the "only" option), and then later provide Web Services via Apache (1.3 likely, but will migrate to 2.0x if necessary). Any guidance or suggestions would be most welcomed! Dave In article <e45f1db4.0405281105.8d1b86e@posting.google.com>, Dave Bigelow <davidhbigelow@simplifiedlogic.com> wrote: >OK - > >Believe it or not, I have a "requirement" to use SOAP! > >The last time I worked with this, it did not work at all. So the >following quesitons come to mind: > >Has it improved any - and it is working on Tcl 8.4.1 or later? >Anyone using it for connecting to Web Services? >Anyone using it to provide Web Services? > >I will immediately need to connect to a Web Service using SOAP (this >is the "only" option), and then later provide Web Services via Apache >(1.3 likely, but will migrate to 2.0x if necessary). > >Any guidance or suggestions would be most welcomed! > >Dave Short answer: yes. What does "immediately" mean to you? What platforms interest you? I'm working with t...

"::tcl::tm::UnknownHandler ::tclPkgUnknown msgcat 1.4" caused by replacing Tcl 8.4.1 with 8.5.7
In the blog http://planet.larrythecow.org/archives/2009-07-26.html "The Twouble with Tcl" Iain Buchanan shows that redefining OPEN proc leads to the errors similar to what I am getting - when I replaced Tcl 8.4.1 with Tcl 8.5.7. In my case I don't know the exact root cause though ... Any ideas how I should proceed with debugging this issue ? Thanks, Alex tclsh c:/Tornado/host/resource/hutils/tcl/makeSymTbl.tcl ppc tmp.o symTbl.c invalid command name "::tcl::tm::UnknownHandler" while executing "::tcl::tm::UnknownHandler ::tclPkgUnknown msg...

Tcl 8.6.0
I recall a recent posting about the time of the conference asking about release plans for 8.6. I further recall a response along the lines of "I don't really know, everyone who does is away in Portland". I guess TPTB are back now. What are the plans for release of Tcl 8.6, and in particular ActiveTcl 8.6? I have developed some code on the betas using TDBC and would like to roll it out in the next month. If the releases aren't imminent, I need to make alternative plans. Thanks, Alan On 15 Oct, 01:57, Alan Grunwald <alan-clt-pos...@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote: > What are the plans for release of Tcl 8.6, and in particular ActiveTcl > 8.6? I have developed some code on the betas using TDBC and would like > to roll it out in the next month. If the releases aren't imminent, I > need to make alternative plans. The current plan as I understand it: 1. Push out Tcl 8.5.8. This is virtually on us already. 2. Push out Tcl 8.6b2. There's been quite a lot of stuff gone in since 8.6b1 and despite the good testing by many people against the HEAD which convinces us that we're in pretty good order, we want a release so that we can get more eyeballs to help out. 3. Push out Tcl 8.6b3 *or* 8.6.0. This depends on the number of changes that happen after 8.6b2; as far as I'm aware, there's only one really important one likely (which will enable bundling of TDBC drivers with Tcl; the scope of this one is nicely limited too, by wh...

Books about Tcl 8.6
Is there a book about Tcl 8.6 upcoming? Or which of http://wiki.tcl.tk/57 is best suited to cover the features of new http://tcl.tk/software/tcltk/8.6.html? I prefer a positive response to the first question (because it is not asking for opinion). Otherwise I prefer pure Tcl over Tk. Thanks, Martin Dear Martin, I am not aware of any professional book for Tcl/Tk 8.6. Even for Tcl/Tk 8.6, there is not to much: BOOK Tcl 8.5 Network Programming (I like this one) and I heard that the Osterhout book was updated 8.5, but I don't know: https://www.packtpub.com/networking-...

Tcl/Tk 8.6.3, Itcl 4.0.2, sqlite 3.8.7 Release Candidates
Release candidate downloads of the 8.6.3 releases of Tcl and Tk, Itcl 4.0.2, and sqlite 3.8.7 may now be found at https://sourceforge.net/projects/tcl/files/Tcl/8.6.3/ The actual releases of these files should come on October 29. Until then, enjoy this advance preview, and if you find anything catastrophically wrong with them, please inform me so we can fix the problem before the true release. -- | Don Porter Applied and Computational Mathematics Division | | donald.porter@nist.gov Information Technology Laboratory | | http://math.nist.gov/~DPorter/...

Tcl-URL!
QOTW: "Tcl: The Convenient Language." - Will Duquette Miguel accelerates uplevel: http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/msg/3d4c585b8201ff2c?hl=en Oh, to have been in Strasbourg for EuroTcl 2008: http://www.eurotcl.org/index.html Don't miss Mark Roseman's tutorial on Ttk styling: http://www.tkdocs.com/tutorial/styles.html An xterm in Tk? Is there a need? G. P. Staplin certainly has the ability: http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/browse_thread/thread/b3704cb55bb84c07 http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/msg/1055125ed4e0...

Tcl-URL!
QOTW: "The most significant developments that have happened in the last couple of releases are things that I couldn't have predicted." - Kevin Kenny, on five-year planning Gerald Lester explains a bit of the spirit of binding-writing: http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/browse_thread/thread/81= 101e16b01c918e Numerical calculations in Tcl? Sure: http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/browse_thread/thread/74= e4e7bf736decb2 Thanks to Arjen Markus for his mostly-weekly Wiki reports: Yet another week passed, even more than that since the previous summary. No time to waste therefore! Only human - Though the Wiki page seems set on the start of June for the 10th European Tcl/Tk Users Meeting in lovely Strasbourg, the meeting will be held in September instead because of holidays - <http://wiki.tcl.tk/26620> - Sometimes your imagination is only a bit ahead of reality ... The musings on this page show that in the case of an ideal programming language - <http://wiki.tcl.tk/11444> - Ever felt you were controlled by your agenda or calendar? Well, now you can feel controlled by your agenda and your calendar and Tcl: <http://wiki.tcl.tk/21553> opens up to the halfbakery. - Write code to let the computer write code for you. No, it is not a Quine but a genuine attempt to collect the techniques you can use - <http://wiki.tcl.tk/1021> Graphical tips and tricks and tools - Wa...

Tcl-URL!
QOTW: "Every time I use my company's Wiki, I realise how easy it is to use the Tclers' Wiki ...." - Arjen Markus Harald Oehlmann leads us to BWidget 1.9: http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_name=4A4B7A54.80204%40Elmicron.de&forum_name=tcllib-devel In our (successful!) attempts to be lightweight and flexible with Tcl, we occasionally lose track of how packages look when a newcomer first opens the wrapping. JMN and Larry Virden give the essential advice on how to make "package register $desired_package" work for tcom: http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/browse_thread/thread/7b247b1203ff6704 Little improvements or implementations in Tcl can enormously benefit EDA or other applications which expose Tcl as a scripting interface: http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/browse_thread/thread/37fa5d05f07c12be The same thread, incidentally, mentions aids to work with regexps. 1.0b12 of TDBC: http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/browse_thread/thread/9b4ffc3cd6c38903/b244758012664683 Not only is WS::Client correct and useful for Web Service workers, but its support is swift and helpful: http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/browse_thread/thread/eaea8c14c22417af/d8c1568bd0860001 Thanks to Arjen Markus for his (mostly) weekly summary of Wiki action: As you will probably have noticed: the deadline for the Sixteenth Annual Tcl/Tk Conference is approa...

Tcl-URL!
QOTW: "[R]eading the man page sure makes things easier." - gavino Rob Sciuk and terryowen rave about SQLiteStudio: http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/browse_thread/thread/fa148acde060c402/ Harald Oehlmann has his own recipe for single-file executables: http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/browse_thread/thread/bc5ab4fdea9f665d/ Thanks to Arjen Markus for his (mostly) weekly summary of Wiki action: Let us waste no time - there is too little of it anyway ... Some chemical stuff - Reading the molecular structure of some chemical as found in an SDF file may not suit everybody's ideas of a fun project, but the result is pretty: <http://wiki.tcl.tk/24059>. For a more powerful alternative, you may want to look at <http://wiki.tcl.tk/6429> - And visualising the dynamics of molecules is yet another application oriented to chemistry: <http://wiki.tcl.tk/24044> Some graphical stuff - With the latest changes to Tk on the Mac, Tk applications will look quite acceptable on that platform, if not more: <http://wiki.tcl.tk/13734> - Viewing 3D objects in the canvas ... not as difficult as it might seem: <http://wiki.tcl.tk/15032> - How about taking a picture and turning it into a set of ASCII characters that (coarsely) reproduce the picture? An old form of computer art revived: <http://wiki.tcl.tk/24052> - Tools for geographical maps. Wel...

Tcl-URL!
QOTW: "Most of the Tcl community won't give you fish, especially large ones, but we are more than willing to teach you how to fish." - George Peter Staplin Ruff! generates documentation. Woof! is a supple Web application framework. They share ancestry: http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/browse_thread/thread/ee4c7b7662378c7d http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/browse_thread/thread/2cd6fd866c2bb65d Gush is an intriguing alternative to, for example, tkcon: http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/browse_thread/thread/cbc45edff13482eb Last call for EuroTcl! http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/browse_thread/thread/7a3a5bc774e912c0 Multiple mice!? http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/msg/5ab21024daad3ba4 Thanks to Arjen Markus for his (mostly) weekly summary of Wiki action: Just another month and then the eighth European Tcl/Tk Users Meeting will be held! And after the summer/winter season the 16th Tcl Conference ... all information available via the Wiki of course. But now the rest. User-interfaces - A discussion on the text widget's undo facility: how to do it? <http://wiki.tcl.tk/23384> - Is Windows Aero the ultimate thing wrt user-interface styles? Whatever you think of it, have a look at <http://wiki.tcl.tk/23385> for those things Ttk does not yet support. - For those of us who need help to make a starpack, here is a helper program...

Tcl-URL!
QOTW: "... it's turned out that whenever we expose a data structure (with the possible exception of ones that exist only to hold multiple return values from a function), we come to regret it. Tcl_StatBuf is a case in point." - Kevin Kenny TkDND now supports the Mac: http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_name=3D4B40B917= ..502000 3%40codebykevin.com&forum_name=3Dtcl-mac Woof! 0.4 and TWAPI 2.2.3 are available: http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/browse_frm/thread/78f8= 5d113 f6a2c9c http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/browse_frm/thread/57a3= e63a4 753a140 Thanks to Arjen Markus for his weekly summary of Wiki activity: The Wiki is picking up speed again after a couple of relaxed weeks. And so is your chronicler. To make up for the gap, I have looked at the past couple of weeks, not just last week. Let the summary begin! Graphical things - This month's 3D demo concerns quaternions and Julia sets. If you do not know what these are, you may still enjoy the beautiful picture. <http://wiki.tcl.tk/17771> for your delight. - Creating computer animations is a simple task nowadays, especially if you have a decent graphics card and tools to go with it. Here is an application of such tools: <http://wiki.tcl.tk/16879> GUI things - Make your browser aware of the Wiki ... <http://wiki.tcl.tk/391> discusses searching and bookmarking, but if you ...

Web resources about - Tcl 8.6 - comp.lang.tcl

Tcl - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is missing information about Tcl procedures, procedure calls, and conditional statements . Please expand the article to include ...

Kyocera TCL Solar Inaugurates Floating Mega Solar Power Plants in Hyogo Prefecture, Japan - YouTube
Kyocera Corporation and Century Tokyo Leasing Corporation announced today that Kyocera TCL Solar LLC, a joint venture established by the two ...

Hands on: Ultra HD TCL 65-inch television
Is it worth paying for extra pixels when you can't put them to good use?

Hands on: Ultra HD TCL 65-inch television
Is it worth paying for extra pixels when you can't put them to good use?

Iron Man Joins TCL To Challenge Apple iPhone: China, Chinese Market
To take on Apple and Samsung in the global smartphone market, China's TCL is enlisting a strong ally: Iron Man.

正反之间心随由你 TCL idol3真机图赏
... 注册 首页 - 资讯中心 评测 导购 行情 - 手机大全 品牌 排行 - 应用之家 主题 壁纸 铃声 - 美人心机 唯丽是图 专题汇总 - 论坛 求助 活动 图赏频道 搜索 图赏首页 手机图赏 平板图赏 美人心机 手机之家 > 资讯中心 > 图赏频道 > 正反之间心随由你 TCL ...

Rumors State That TCL Could Be Looking To Buy Or Invest In HTC
You might not have heard of TCL. They’re the twenty fifth largest electronics manufacturer in the world, the third largest television manufacturer, ...

TCL Communications, SunPartner Testing Technology That Could Draw Solar Power Via A Smartphone's Screen ...
Smartphones are awesome, but with a few notable exceptions, it seems their awesomeness is inversely correlated with their battery life. The more ...

1070:Hong Kong Stock Quote - TCL Multimedia Technology Holdings Ltd - Bloomberg
Stock analysis for TCL Multimedia Technology Holdings Ltd (1070:Hong Kong) including stock price, stock chart, company news, key statistics, ...

Cisco, TCL joint venture to focus on cloud in China
Cisco, TCL joint venture to focus on cloud in China Business Cloud News Networking incumbent Cisco is to set up a joint venture company with ...