Tcl Book that explains tcl C API?

Hi!

I am looking for material that explains the tcl C API in order to:

- Embed Tcl into a C application.
- Extend Tcl to add new commands in C.

Does Tcl and Tk Toolkit (2nd Edition) by Ken Jones and John Ousterhout do a good job explain these topics in depth?

Thanks!

Asif wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I am looking for material that explains the tcl C API in order to:
>
> - Embed Tcl into a C application.
> - Extend Tcl to add new commands in C.
>
> Does Tcl and Tk Toolkit (2nd Edition) by Ken Jones and John Ousterhout do
> a good job explain these topics in depth?
>
> Thanks!

can help you cheap:;
http://freecomputerbooks.com/langTclBooks.html

http://shortwave.tk
700+ Radio Stations on SW http://swstations.tk
300+ languages on SW http://radiolanguages.tk

0
nomail7204 (23)
8/8/2011 8:44:10 PM
marc wrote:
> Asif wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> I am looking for material that explains the tcl C API in order to:
>>
>> - Embed Tcl into a C application.
>> - Extend Tcl to add new commands in C.
>>
>> Does Tcl and Tk Toolkit (2nd Edition) by Ken Jones and John Ousterhout do
>> a good job explain these topics in depth?
>>
>> Thanks!
>

> can help you cheap:;
> http://freecomputerbooks.com/langTclBooks.html

Would you really trust a site which *PRESUMES* the whole world uses
their preferred settings and the heck with the visually imperfect.

The result on their page is:
   1. one line over writes another
   2. apparently paid advertisements get truncated
   3. violating spirit, if not the letter, of ADA

Details of problem :/

I'm of generation for whom use of tri-focals is common.
My preferred browser [Build identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U;
Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.13) Gecko/20100914 SeaMonkey/2.0.8]
allows me to *FORCE a minimum font size*. I typically use 16-18.
There is an implication that the resulting font will be 16-18 point.
I have no idea of how well the algorithm accounts for monitor
physical resolution and physical size.

The ultimate cause of problem:
A careless programmer who can't be *BOTHERED* considering "relative"
and "absolute" origins.

Remember the old adage "You get what you pay for"
But if you "pay nothing" you get even *LESS*  ;/

0
rowlett (414)
--------------enig8A1C0DA732FEB43B4677DD86

On 08/05/2011 06:18 PM, Asif wrote:
> Hi!
>=20
> I am looking for material that explains the tcl C API in order to:
>=20
> - Embed Tcl into a C application.
> - Extend Tcl to add new commands in C.
>=20
> Does Tcl and Tk Toolkit (2nd Edition) by Ken Jones and John Ousterhout =
do a good job explain these topics in depth?
>=20
> Thanks!

Use the source, Luke!

The best example are the Tcl sources itself, as well as, looking at
other extensions.  Embedding in applications might have other
difficulties regarding who "own" the thread of execution, especially on
Windows when you want to do more than a macro style and have your
scripts respond to events.

--=20

--------------enig8A1C0DA732FEB43B4677DD86

--------------enig8A1C0DA732FEB43B4677DD86--
0
davygrvy (1376)
8/9/2011 2:28:13 AM
On 8/6/2011 6:48 AM, Asif wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I am looking for material that explains the tcl C API in order to:
>
> - Embed Tcl into a C application.
> - Extend Tcl to add new commands in C.
>
> Does Tcl and Tk Toolkit (2nd Edition) by Ken Jones and John Ousterhout do a good job explain these topics in depth?
>
> Thanks!

That's the one I would start with for an introduction and overview. It's
fairly decent. Then move on to the source, I don't think any other books
go into the C level stuff in any level of detail
0
palmtcl (454)
8/9/2011 3:55:36 AM
On 9/08/2011 1:55 PM, Ashok Nadkarni wrote:
> On 8/6/2011 6:48 AM, Asif wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> I am looking for material that explains the tcl C API in order to:
>>
>> - Embed Tcl into a C application.
>> - Extend Tcl to add new commands in C.
>>
>> Does Tcl and Tk Toolkit (2nd Edition) by Ken Jones and John Ousterhout
>> do a good job explain these topics in depth?
>>
>> Thanks!
>
> That's the one I would start with for an introduction and overview. It's
> fairly decent. Then move on to the source, I don't think any other books
> go into the C level stuff in any level of detail

This also reads nicely as a kindle book, if you want to go that route.

Also "Practical Programming in Tcl/Tk 4th Edition" (Welch/Jones/Hobbs)
has some 70 pages on this topic.

Regards

- Evil Son

TCL/TCL combined with Java/C/C++, Any Recommendations?
Hi, I have an application that I wrote in TCL/TK. It has to work with big files +5GB. The parsing performace is not where I would like and some of the data manipulations are taking considerable amount of time due to the data size. Therefore I am considering switching these parts of the code to Java, C or C++. While keepting the GUI and GUI supporting code in TCL/TK at this time. I am trying to figure out which language will be easier to merge with TCL in an application. For C I know that I can compile and generate a .so or .dll and create a TCL package and load it. I believe this is done with SWIG but I have not done it. In Java I saw some info on Jacl and TclBlend. The application will be "compiled" into a TCL "executable". I know I can compile my TCL code into Byte code to protect the IP. I am not sure about Java. Any recommendations or pointers will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Frank Frank <kranfg@gmail.com> writes: > Hi, > > I have an application that I wrote in TCL/TK. It has to work with big files +5GB. > > The parsing performace is not where I would like and some of the data manipulations are taking considerable amount of time due to the data size. > > Therefore I am considering switching these parts of the code to Java, C or C++. While keepting the GUI and GUI supporting code in TCL/TK at this time. > > I am trying to figure out which language will be easier to ...

This is an announcement for a relatively new Tcl project: tcl-mmap Tcl-mmap is a Tcl interface to the POSIX mmap* system call. It provides a Tcl package that allows Tcl scripts to: 1) Memory map files for improved access efficiency; 2) Share memory between related processes; 3) Easily implement cyclic persistent log files. * See the mmap(2) man page. Platform: Linux/Unix Home page: http://sourceforge.net/projects/tcl-mmap/ Man page: http://tcl-mmap.sourceforge.net/ Author: Alexandros Stergiakis On Sep 3, 11:48=A0am, Alexandros Stergiakis <alst...@gmail.com> wrote: > This is an ...

how to debug tcl running under tcl interep in C++ exe
Hi: I have a C++ exe, which has a tcl interep and loads some tcl files. The exe throws a tcl shell to user where user enters tcl scripts. I want to debug the tcl files while these exe runs. Is there any way/debugger to do this? Regards --Sourav Sourav Sircar schrieb: > Hi: > I have a C++ exe, which has a tcl interep and loads some tcl files. > The exe throws a tcl shell to user where user enters tcl scripts. > I want to debug the tcl files while these exe runs. Is there any > way/debugger to do this? > Regards > --Sourav You could probably load the comm packa...

Tcl C API and Windows API
Hi, Since I'm not experienced Windows C/C++ developer, I'd ask you guys what's easiest way to Tcl_GetStringFromObj (or get unicode, whatever would work) and convert it to LPCSTR keeping locale-specific characters? Thanks! Regards, Googie Use Tcl_GetUnicode and pass it to any API that wants a LPCWSTR. Call the wide-char version on the function, e.g. HANDLE h =3D FindFirstFileW(Tcl_GetUnicode(objP), ....) Note the "W" at the end of the function name to ensure you are using the wide-char version. If you are building with UNICODE and _UNICODE defined, ...

How to compile tcl or encrypt tcl
I use TclPro1.5 to compile my tcl script with tixwish in the Solaris before. But I cannot use the same method in Linux. Why? Is there any utility for me to compile or encrypt the code by using tixwish? The following is the simple code if I use the tixwish: #!/home/albertl/local/bin/tixwish puts "haha" And after using procomp by the TclPro1.5 Error in startup script: The TclPro ByteCode Loader is not available or does not support the correct version while executing "error "The TclPro ByteCode Loader is not available or does not support the correct version""...

tcl application with tcl application

Remembering Tcl: Problems with C and Tcl communicated via pipelines
I am now remembering TCL and I have came across with a problem when doing something I used to do. My purpose is to implement a console-like GUI to present in a listbox outputs from another program written in c and allow to command orders via an entry. All the communication between both programs will be via pipeline As a first approximation, I tried several easy examples and I get stucked with these two programs (see below). When executing tclprogram2.tcl I get Done1 and Done2 and nothing more: i must end it with Ctrl-C. However, if I change Hello3 lines before for loop, the program run smoo...

Hello It's Friday and... well... Two things about Tcl going through my mind this week, a nice anecdote and a eyebrow-rising thing on Wikipedia: Anecdote: Until three months ago I worked in a scientific institue where I wrote much software in Tcl, especially a big Build and Report System, some tools for automatic checking of coding style and other things. Tcl had a bad reputation there (not because of me... they dropped Tcl before I started there in favour of Joy, then JavaScript and now Python) and besides me, there was only one co-worker who appearantly writes some small Tcl-Scripts to...

adding events to tcl queue, or using variables and traces (C and TCL)
I'm writing simple testing framework for embedded application. The application is written on C language and runs on microchip PIC microcontroller normally. To test application I made the following: * hardware depended code was picked out from main source and written to separate source files (module_hal.c for example); * two build mode for program: for microchip PIC, using *_hal.c files dealing with real hardware, or for PC, where *_hal.c files contain hardware simulation code and bindings to TCL-commands. Then program was build for PC, I can using TCL commands change input signal states for simulated hardware, for example, or view output signal states. But I need some method to call tcl callback procedure when output signal changes state. I see two methods to achieve this: * map signal state to variable, and then use 'trace' command to bind tcl-scripts to state change events; * add new events to tcl event queue, as described here: http://wiki.tcl.tk/17195 Which method can be more preferable and why? In case if signal state changes too fast, and if I use variable trace, my callback will be called on every state change -- I think it is serious drawback of first method. With second method I can add only one event to queue, and add second only if first event is processed. But as I see, second method requires more complex code in C (now I wrote this code and see it as serious drawback too). May be exists some other methods to call tcl-callbacks on even...

How does the Tcl interpret handle results returned from C-created Tcl commands ?
I've ventured on creating a Tcl command trough a C routine. I've followed the manual guidelines. My C routine checks the validity of a selected option for the currently displayed histogram. Therefore it returns a Boolean value that, according to the C <-> Tcl communucation protocol, I have encoded as TCL_ERROR (= FALSE) and TCL_OK (TRUE). WHenthis command is called in a Tcl proc, the interpreter is supposed to perform two different actions according to the returned Boolean value. How can I fetch this returned Boolean result (TCL_ERROR/ TCL_OK) from the Tcl proc that executes the C-created command ? What if I wrote 1 (FALSE) or 0 (TRUE) in a string and have the C routine return this 1-character string ? Would it be easier to get the result of the teest from the caling TCL proc ? Please, find in the following the code that implements (according to my best resolution) the C-created command and the callind Tcl proc. Thank you, Maura ************************************************************************************************************* * C routine * ************************************************************************************************************* static int check_hist_aint_option_cb( ClientData clientData, Tcl_Interp *interp, int argc, char *argv[] ) { int i; if ( hg.active_ &...

TCL
Hello, i would like to build TCL/TK as a separate DLL-Library. Can anyone tell me how this can be done with VC 6.0? Best regards, Reinhold "Reinhold.kwauka" <bernd-reinhold.kwauka@t-online.de> wrote: >Hello, > >i would like to build TCL/TK as a separate DLL-Library. Can anyone tell me >how this can be done >with VC 6.0? > >Best regards, >Reinhold > 1) get the source from http://tcl.sourceforge.net/ 2) open a command prompt 3) cd to the win/ subdirectory 4) call vcvars32.bat located in ??\vc98\bin\ of vc6 for wherever you installed it. 5) type @ the prompt: nmake -f makefile.vc -- David Gravereaux <davygrvy@pobox.com> [species: human; planet: earth,milkyway(western spiral arm),alpha sector] Reinhold.kwauka wrote: > Hello, > > i would like to build TCL/TK as a separate DLL-Library. Can anyone tell me > how this can be done > with VC 6.0? > > Best regards, > Reinhold > > Its already done. Just download a binary release for windows and check \Program Files\Tcl\lib for the DLLs and static libraries. ...

Tcl
Hello all. I found on hobbes the afaik latest Tcl for Os/2 v8.35 Is there any newer port, cause i try to update the eggdrop and that says: Your Tcl version is much too old for Eggdrop to use. You should download and compile a more recent version. The most reliable current version is 8.5.X and can be downloaded from ftp://tcl.activestate.com/pub/tcl/tcl8_5/. -- With the best regards from the Netherlands, Tu, "Tellerbop" <Tellerbop@wint.nl>, hai scritto questo in data Wed, 14 Jan 2009 19:11:18 UTC: > Hello all. > > I found on hobbes the afaik latest Tcl for Os/2...

Tcl
Hello, where can I see for tcl syntacs and how-to run a tcl test? Thank You Vittore ___________________________________ Yahoo! Mail: gratis 1GB per i messaggi e allegati da 10MB http://mail.yahoo.it ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Posted to the ptolemy-hackers mailing list. Please send administrative mail for this list to: ptolemy-hackers-request@ptolemy.eecs.berkeley.edu ...

How Tcl source finds init.tcl???
Hi, I have one question about how Tcl finds init.tcl. What environment variable does Tcl source use to get the search path for init.tcl? Is there any way to specifically use init.tcl from a certain path? Thanks a lot in advance! Lihong lihong pei wrote: > I have one question about how Tcl finds init.tcl. > What environment variable does Tcl source use to get the search path for > init.tcl? If the environment variable TCL_LIBRARY exists, it's value is assumed to be a single directory which is added to the search path for init.tcl. Note that this is offered mostly as a way for...

MS Dictation and TCL
I'm trying to use the MS dictation tool while in TCL 8.5 program. The text starts to appear, but then the program crashes. It would be great to find a way to make this work. Thanks! Barney Tcl 8.5 (wish 8.5) makeindex (12/14/2007) MSWinXP sp3 plenty of ram and storage ...

Inline::Tcl vs. Inline::Tcl
The readme for CPAN's Inline::Tcl says this: > This module is not related to the Inline::Tcl module, but it might be > valuable to have some compatibility between the two. > This sentence seems to suggest that there is another module named Inline::Tcl somewhere. Is this true, and if so, where can I find it? Mumia W. wrote: > The readme for CPAN's Inline::Tcl says this: > > > This module is not related to the Inline::Tcl module, but it might be > > valuable to have some compatibility between the two. > > > > This sentence seems to suggest ...

[TCL] diff type operations in TCL
I didn't see anything in tcllib and thus far haven't turned up anything that looks like it will work. I would like to know if there is a TCL package, or already written procedure, that will do a simple diff of two files and tell me if they're the same or if they have differences. Is there anything like this? --------------------------------------------- Andrew R. Falanga (a non-HP employee) Hewlett-Packard Company 11311 Chinden Blvd. Boise, Idaho --------------------------------------------- Please note: The e-mail address is purposely mangled. I do not wish my account at HP to...

Tcl extension: check Tcl version?
Is there a recommended way to check if a (binary) Tcl extension is loaded to the same Tcl version that was used for linking the extension? Currently I'm encountering a problem with an extension that I have built (and linked) with libtk8.3.so and that can be loaded under wish8.5 as well (without re-bulding, using package require). A number of newly provided commands work well in spite of the version mixture, but others don't, and wish8.5 crashes when these commands are used. Is this behavior normal, i.e. should I check that compile-time version and run-time version are identical? Or ...

Debugger for Tcl/Tk and [incr Tcl]

[TCL] multi-threaded tcl apps
Hi, Where can one find complete documentation on the ttrace package to the Thread package? I'd like to know what commands are available in ttrace and how to use them. --------------------------------------------- Andrew R. Falanga (a non-HP employee) Hewlett-Packard Company 11311 Chinden Blvd. Boise, Idaho --------------------------------------------- Please note: The e-mail address is purposely mangled. I do not wish my account at HP to become a spam haven. If you wish to e-mail me, the address consists of a dot between my first and last names (excluding my middle initial). The rest...

Web resources about - Tcl Book that explains tcl C API? - comp.lang.tcl

Clarissa Explains It All - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
is a teen girl who addresses the audience directly to describe the things that are happening in her life, dealing with typical pre-adolescent ...

Facebook Engineer Apologizes For Blocking Image-Sharing Site Imgur, Explains What Happened
Accidents happen, including during the course of operating and maintaining a social network with more than 900 million monthly average users ...

Rembert Tries to Explain the '80s: Too Close for Comfort 's Very Special Episode
Editor's Note: Welcome to our new series, Rembert Tries to Explain the '80s. Every so often, we'll e-mail 24-year-old Rembert Browne a YouTube ...

Facebook explains how 20% text overlay policy for ads is enforced
... system, which includes a grid-based text overlay detection tool. Then only a percentage of ads will be reviewed by humans. This would explain ...

Exclusive: Police Officer Darren Wilson explains why he feared for his life
Exclusive: Police Officer Darren Wilson explains why he feared for his life

Who can explain difference between superyacht, megayacht and giga yacht?
... LinkedIn for free to participate in the conversation. When you join, you can comment and post your own discussions. Thet Htwe Who can explain ...

Can you explain the gist of why Tape Backups saved the day for Google?
Answer (1 of 3): I realize this question is old, but someone just brought it to my attention as a question of the assumptions in the existing ...

Medikidz explain Type One Diabetes on the App Store on iTunes
Get Medikidz explain Type One Diabetes on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Tim Armstrong explains it all - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Tim Armstrong, CEO of AOL, is interviewed on-stage as part of the company's presentation about content and online strategy during Advertising ...

Mark Ruffalo explains Occupy Wall Street - YouTube
... award-winning actor and director, caught up with RT's Lucy Kafanov on Saturday at the Occupy Wall Street protest in New York City and explained... ...