Tcl command to evaluate a tcl script? #2

Hi all,

I need to evaluate a separate tcl file within a tcl file. Is there any
tcl command to evaluate a tcl file ?

Regards,
Prabu.K

prabu wrote:
> I need to evaluate a separate tcl file within a tcl file. Is there any
> tcl command to evaluate a tcl file ?

You're probably looking for the "source" command.

Other commands of interest would be "package require" or "eval".  The
command "load" is for binary shared libraries.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     Scruffitarianism - Where T-shirt, jeans,

Regards,
Prabu

Darren New wrote:
> prabu wrote:
> > I need to evaluate a separate tcl file within a tcl file. Is there any
> > tcl command to evaluate a tcl file ?
>
> You're probably looking for the "source" command.
>
> Other commands of interest would be "package require" or "eval".  The
> command "load" is for binary shared libraries.
>
> --
>    Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
>      Scruffitarianism - Where T-shirt, jeans,
>      and a three-day beard are "Sunday Best."

On 17 Dec 2006 21:16:16 -0800,
"prabu" <catchme.prabu@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Darren. But what my need is that I am writing a tcl script
> which is going to take any tcl script as input and should return the
> output of the file. How can I do that?

[eval] ?

Fredderic
prabu wrote:
> Thanks Darren. But what my need is that I am writing a tcl script which
> is going to take any tcl script as input

It takes any tcl script as input? Or it takes the name of any file
containing tcl script as input?  That's two different requirements.
The first is [eval $variable_containing_script].
The second is [source $variable_containing_name_of_file].

You'll need to read the manual pages for these operations. If you don't
have them handy, google for "tcl man source" or "tcl man eval".

> and should return the output of the file.

Files don't "output". Scripts output.

That said, do you mean the return value from evaluating the script, or
do you mean what the script printed, such as with [puts]? If you mean
what it printed, do you want to know what it printed to stdout, stderr,
both?

If you mean the return value, that would be the result of calling
[eval], which passes the return value of the script as its own return value.

If you mean what was printed to stdout, that's a bit harder, but not a
whole lot. You basically rename the [puts] command to accumulate output
in a variable before you call [source].

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     Scruffitarianism - Where T-shirt, jeans,
     and a three-day beard are "Sunday Best."
0
dnew (1159)
12/18/2006 5:55:47 AM
Thanks. It was helpful.
Prabu

At 2006-12-18 12:16AM, "prabu" wrote:
>  Thanks Darren. But what my need is that I am writing a tcl script which
>  is going to take any tcl script as input and should return the output
>  of the file. How can I do that?

Really?
    file delete -force ~

I suggest you read about safe interpreters.  http://wiki.tcl.tk/1496

--
Glenn Jackman
Ulterior Designer

Tcl command to evaluate a tcl script?
Hi all, I need to evaluate a separate tcl file within a tcl file. Is there any tcl command to evaluate a tcl file ? Regards, Prabu.K prabu wrote: > Hi all, > > I need to evaluate a separate tcl file within a tcl file. Is there any > tcl command to evaluate a tcl file ? > > Regards, > Prabu.K > hi, try: source your_other_tcl_file.tcl cheers, Tobi ...

TCL C API: receiving command from a script or from tcl command line ?
Hello, TCL allows to run commands from commandl line or from within a script file thanks to the command "source filename". I used TCL C API to embed my own commands. My question is : from my own commands, how can I know whether it was called from the script or directly from the shell ? Thanks, Fabrice Hi Fabrice, "fabrice" writes: > I used TCL C API to embed my own commands. My question is : from my > own commands, how can I know whether it was called from the script > or directly from the shell ? You can look at the variable tcl_interactive to distinguish the two modes. Note: It usually seems not a good idea to change the behaviour of your functions between use in a program (production mode) and interactive use (usually for experimentation and debugging). It's confusing for the users and it may make it difficult or impossible to reproduce some kinds of problems interactively. If you want to add more debug output in interactive mode, you can always add additional commands and flags for that purpose. benny fabrice wrote: > Hello, > > TCL allows to run commands from commandl line or from within a script > file thanks to the command "source filename". > > I used TCL C API to embed my own commands. My question is : from my own > commands, how can I know whether it was called from the script or > directly from the shell ? You could look at how the 'tcl_interactive' variable is set up and u...

l'C program executing from a tcl script with pipe opened using open command in Tcl
Hi all, I wanted to communicate with a C program from a Tcl script.. The test code i have written is below Both the 'C' program and Tcl script are located in the same directory. The 'C' program is below. I have named it CTCL.C #include<stdio.h> #include<string.h> int main() { int i; char c[30]; printf("Reading..."); scanf("%s",c); printf("String read is :%s\n",c); fflush(stdout); return 0; } I have compiled the program with the command cc CTCL.C -o ctcl So the executable was generated with the name 'ctcl' The Tcl script I have written is. I have named it TCLPIPETEST.tcl #!/usr/add-on/exptools/bin/tclsh set fd [open "|./ctcl" r+] gets $fd tmp1 puts "tmp1 = $tmp1" set stat 0 set tmp2 "Default value... " if { ![catch { puts $fd "abcdef" } res]} { if { ![catch { flush $fd } res] } { if { ![catch { gets $fd tmp2} res ] } { set stat 1 } else { puts "Error 'gets' from pipe : $res" } } else { puts "Error 'flush' from pipe:$res " } } else { puts "Error 'puts' from pipe:$res " } if { $stat == 1 } { puts "Success......:$tmp2 :)" } else { puts "Failure......:$tmp2 :(" } I have given all permissions for both the files above. When i execute the Tcl script My aim is to open a pipe with the 'C' executable 'ctcl', initially read so...

Dose there any tcl script to translate an file with embedded tcl
Hi I need to generate some big file, but there are rules for generate these files Ex . ============================== Start input a [0] wire input a [1] wire .. .. .. .. input a [1000] wire End ================================= Dose there any tcl script can help to translate a file with embedded tcl script into a new file For example this is a source file ======================== Start * set i 0 * for { set i 0 } { $i < 1000 } { incr i } { * puts input a [$i] wire * } End ========================== After Translate ======================= Start input a [0] wire input a [1] wire .. .. .. .. input a [1000] wire End ======================= Gogo12 wrote: > > Hi > I need to generate some big file, but there are rules for generate > these files > Ex . > ============================== > Start > input a [0] wire > input a [1] wire > . > . > . > . > input a [1000] wire > End > ================================= > > Dose there any tcl script can help to translate a file with embedded > tcl script into a new file > For example > > this is a source file > ======================== > Start > * set i 0 > * for { set i 0 } { $i < 1000 } { incr i } { > * puts input a [$i] wire > * } > End > ========================== > > After Translate > ======================= > Start > input a [0] wire > input a [1] wire > . > . > . > . > input a [1000] wire > ...

In Tcl and C++ code, how to use Tcl Command, such as exit?
In my code, i used Tcl_SetStdChannel(0, STDIN) and a thread to control all input and output from Tcl, but i want to use some of Tcl' Commands, such as, exit. I used Tcl_Eval() then, but the Tcl command seem invisible in my code, I typed a string in command prompt, such as "AAAAA", and Enter, got nothing feedback. How can i do to get these Tcl Commands work? Thanx! vian1381@china.com.cn wrote: > In my code, i used Tcl_SetStdChannel(0, STDIN) and a thread to control > all input and output from Tcl, but i want to use some of Tcl' Commands, > such as, exit. > > I used Tcl_Eval() then, but the Tcl command seem invisible in my code, > I typed a string in command prompt, such as "AAAAA", and Enter, got > nothing feedback. Your questions are hard to understand, but they suggest that you believe that setting a custom stdin channel will do some magic to establsh a prompt/read/eval loop. That is not the case. > How can i do to get these Tcl Commands work? Start with something that works, like the source code for tclsh, and adapt to your needs. Or post a followup and include more code examples to explain what you're doing and how it doesn't do what you expect. -- | Don Porter Mathematical and Computational Sciences Division | | donald.porter@nist.gov Information Technology Laboratory | | http://math.nist.gov/~DPorter/ NIST | |_____________________________________...

Tcl+incr Tcl debuggers to use on command line?
Hi, Does anyone know of incr Tcl supported debuggers that work on command line? That is, without needing bundling with IDEs? Thanks On 10/11/14, 9:46 PM, kenneth.bull@gmail.com wrote: > Hi, > > Does anyone know of incr Tcl supported debuggers that work on command line? > That is, without needing bundling with IDEs? Well, the debugger in ActiveState's TDK does not need a bundled IDE and it works with [incr Tcl] -- but it is a GUI application not a command line one. -- +------------------------------------------------------------------------+ | Gerald W. L...

How to compile tcl or encrypt tcl
I use TclPro1.5 to compile my tcl script with tixwish in the Solaris before. But I cannot use the same method in Linux. Why? Is there any utility for me to compile or encrypt the code by using tixwish? The following is the simple code if I use the tixwish: #!/home/albertl/local/bin/tixwish puts "haha" And after using procomp by the TclPro1.5 Error in startup script: The TclPro ByteCode Loader is not available or does not support the correct version while executing "error "The TclPro ByteCode Loader is not available or does not support the correct version"" invoked from within "if {[catch {package require tbcload 1.3} err] == 1} { error "The TclPro ByteCode Loader is not available or does not support the correct version" ...." (file "a.tbc" line 4) The problem seems that tbcload1.3 cannot be found? But tbcload is already there "/home/albertl/local/lib/tbcload1.3" Why? Can anyone tell me? stratus schrieb: > I use TclPro1.5 to compile my tcl script with tixwish in the Solaris before. > But I cannot use the same method in Linux. Why? > > Is there any utility for me to compile or encrypt the code by using tixwish? > Tixwish is just a wish shell with the Tix package baked in. If TclPro does not have a specific bigwish with Tix included your out of luck on that road (but could build your own if you liked). You might have success with freewrap or TDK, don't know for su...

tcl application with tcl application

Tcl-URL!
QOTW: "But, with reference to the wiki article headline, lest I be associated with the writers of unreadable code and users of unspeakable tricks, it wasn't Perl that I had in mind but Awk." - Bill Poser in reply to Glenn Jackman on on c.l.t http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/msg/5bb6ad08a80ca48f "JS makes W3C irrelevant. Assuming HTML + DOM + CSS gives you all the display possibilities you need under browsers (which I will postulate) then the addition of JS (or tcl) makes W3C irrelevant. That's the thesis." - Colin McCormack POTW: Ann Getleft 1.2b1 by Andres Carcia http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/browse_frm/thread/867216f540d4858d Getleft is a web site grabber written in Tcl/Tk, given an URL it will download the whole site or, at least, the part of it that fits the options given by the user. Homepage: http://personal.iddeo.es/andresgarci/getleft/english/ Downloads: http://personal1.iddeo.es/andresgarci/getleft/english/download.html ANNOUNCE TkTreeCtrl 2.2.2 by Tim Baker http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/browse_frm/thread/78e5925f76ec2cf2 TkTreeCtrl is a flexible listbox widget for Tk written in C. This release fixes a few bugs and adds a few minor features. Homepage: http://tktreectrl.sourceforge.net/ Downloads: http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=69413 ANNOUNCE: InstallJammer 1.1b1 Released! by Damon Courtney http://groups.google.c...

Tcl-URL!
QOTW: "i find tcl is like a more standardized implementation of a non algorithm-centered scheme, featuring solutions instead of providing an algorithmic environment to build on" - <teurastaja> Tclguy gave a good presentation on 8.6 last week. See for yourself: https://www1.gotomeeting.com/register/771472289 DO *you" say "tick-tock"? =20 http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Application-Development/Tcl-Programming-Language-2= 0-Things-You-Dont-Know-865925/?kc=3DEWKNLITA02012011STR1 Tcl is in the Mac Store: http://sourceforge.net/m...

Tcl-URL!
QOTW: "TCL is probably the most underappreciated scripting language in existence. It has almost zero learning curve and as such can be used in any complex project that uses C as a second implementation language (for programming in the small) almost instantly. Few people understand that TCL+C is a unique and very powerful software development paradigm, probably in some ways supterior in many real life scenarios to overhyped single complex OO languages be it Java, Ruby, C++ or C with some STL-like library like glib." - Nikolai Bezroukov http://www.softpanorama.org/Articles/a_slightly_skeptical_view_on_scripting_languages.shtml Thanks to Arjen Markus for his weekly summary of Wiki action: Stormy weather outside, a quiet week on the Wiki. Still, there is enough material for anyone's taste! Different tastes - Are "task dialogues" the way to go in user-interface design? Or is it just the lateste fashion? <http://wiki.tcl.tk/16882> - Designing try-catch constructs is not as straightforward as it may look ... <http://wiki.tcl.tk/21608> for a detailed proposal and discussion. - However small, there _are_ differences between Tcl on Windows and on Unix/Linux. Check out: <http://wiki.tcl.tk/13926> Different styles - The term "Visual Tcl" has been used many times in the past, leading to very different applications. They are summarised at <http://wiki.tcl.tk/1932> - ...

Tcl-URL!
QOTW: "Do you have humour in iceland, or just bjork?" - stu "Rewriting a GUI mainloop is both boring and useless once you have wish in hand." - Alexandre Ferrieux "Thyrd is an experimental, reflective, visual programming language and environment ... It most resembles Joy." Thyrd is implemented in Tcl/Tk. In Thyrd, EIAS. http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/browse_thread/thread/9302a5fdb754076a/ Progress in binary formatting: http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/browse_thread/thread/6496408a894d7767/ Thanks to Arjen Markus for his weekly summary of Wiki action: With december threatening to be colder in these parts of the world than we have grown used to, let us not linger too much! Interfacing - Do you know the problem? Websites that require a password and you who can't keep track of them? Maybe this tool will help: <http://wiki.tcl.tk/22012> - Let Tcl help you find your way in a MS Excel spreadsheet: this simple script shows some of the basics - <http://wiki.tcl.tk/21291> - Impressive frames and animations generated by having Tcl drive the procedure: <http://wiki.tcl.tk/16879> - And why not write a little extension to a C++ library that handles Bayesian networks? <http://wiki.tcl.tk/19881> Graphics - Here is the latest 3D demo again: <http://wiki.tcl.tk/17771> - While it may be unfortunate that &quo...

Tcl-URL!
QOTW: "Tcl ... is by far the most fun language I've ever programmed in." - Joshua Litt http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/browse_thread/thread/a18bc572bc2c6e56 TclSOAP knows SOAP transport, it knows XML-RPC, and now JSON-RPC as well: http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/browse_thread/thread/5c86dc46de2438bf/ 8.5.3! 8.6.a1! http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/browse_thread/thread/34edd8a1b72110a0/ http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/browse_thread/thread/a18bc572bc2c6e56/ We still have a lot to learn about how to set limits to the resources processes consume. Web service, in particular, often involves masses of anonymous connections that should be handled faithfully for months on end. One key architectural distinction: thread vs. process: http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/browse_thread/thread/16e67fec24b3e43b Thanks to Arjen Markus for his weekly summary of Wiki action: We are at the half of the year, so the holiday season will start soon, at least here in Europe. Will that influence productivity on the Wiki? Who knows! Raw power - Is Tcl's system of dealing with arithmetic expressions so bad? It is different than most other languages - <http://wiki.tcl.tk/21269> will probably not end any debate on the subject. - Well, the infix package might be of use - <http://wiki.tcl.tk/17040> - despite its simplistic approach to for...

Tcl-URL!
QOTW: "Ugh, life has no meaning or purpose without wikit." - LucMove Daniel A. Steffen answers 99+% of what you'd want to know about Tcl/Tk in Snow Leopard, the current Mac OS release: http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_name=d27997510909010659t7fba0eealb9d13b1b9bd6ac3b%40mail.gmail.com&forum_name=tcl-mac Thanks to Arjen Markus for his weekly summary of Wiki activity: Time runs fast, in these few weeks before the conference. So let us get started! Human things - On the verge of the conference, all manner of activities are being discussed - <http://wiki.tcl.tk/22636> - The official Tcl tutorial is being maintained, not much further development, as stated in <http://wiki.tcl.tk/17557>. But the remark about [gets] in <http://wiki.tcl.tk/14345> seems to indicate a white spot ... - A book on reliable distributed systems has a new edition coming out soon - <http://wiki.tcl.tk/17334> Warm and fuzzy things - Search for strings that are almost but not quite equal to others ... <http://wiki.tcl.tk/3841> - Taking shortcuts in data synchronisations is quite possible, using "bloom filters" - <http://wiki.tcl.tk/24321> - Throw in a simple dialog window - for quick and dirty editing of your global variables - <http://wiki.tcl.tk/24324> - This "Dali" clock unfortunately does not quite work for your chroni...

Tcl-URL!
QOTW: "Oh well, much of re_syntax is not driven by the want for obviousness - rather, 'which combination of punctuation haven't we used yet?'" - Richard Suchenwirth on c.l.t http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/msg/5fce86450cc76497 "Moreover, Tcl's UNICODE support is excellent; the only time it is surprising to people is when they try to apply the odd workarounds used in other languages and have to to learn that Tcl gets it right for them already. :-)" - Donal K. Fellows http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/msg/ad8fd5d999b54dfe POTW: ANNOUNCE: Windows Inspection Tool Set V1.1 http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/browse_frm/thread/2467d58310fc667b WiTS provides you with cross-linked, filtered views of a Windows system. These views include list views with optional filtering and sorting capabilities, and detailed property page views for individual objects. Where applicable, views are linked to allow for easy navigation between related objects. In addition to viewing properties, WiTS provides tools for some common tasks related to these components. WiTS starts up automatically and installs itself into the system tray in the taskbar. In addition, it can be configured with hotkey support for quick access to various views. Homepage: http://wits.magicsplat.com/ Screenshot: https://sourceforge.net/project/screenshots.php?group_id=90123 ...

Hello It's Friday and... well... Two things about Tcl going through my mind this week, a nice anecdote and a eyebrow-rising thing on Wikipedia: Anecdote: Until three months ago I worked in a scientific institue where I wrote much software in Tcl, especially a big Build and Report System, some tools for automatic checking of coding style and other things. Tcl had a bad reputation there (not because of me... they dropped Tcl before I started there in favour of Joy, then JavaScript and now Python) and besides me, there was only one co-worker who appearantly writes some small Tcl-Scripts to support other researchers in their work. To get completely rid of Tcl, they even started to reimplement all things, I wrote in Tcl in Python just to have it in a language, that most of them know (which is a good decision on the one hand, but on the other hand, I think, it would be better to simply learn Tcl ;-), which made me a little bit sad. Now there is a new collegue who has to maintain some of the things I wrote. Comming from Perl he wasn't exactly enthusiastic when he heard, that he must maintain my old code in such an obscure language.. Two weeks ago, I got mail from him. He's just studying a complex system of scripts that are used for a sandboxed build system for source code which comes from external untrusted source and must be compiled and tested. Of course it's written in Tcl (and some bash-Scripting). He told me, that although he has never looked at Tcl before,...

Tcl-URL!
QOTW: "... the only thing it seems to be good for is, if you see somebody using [concat], you can be pretty sure that they don't understand Tcl and need help." - Joe English http://www.sqlite.org/draft/download.html has the TEA-tarball betas for SQLite 3.7.0 beta. Notice especially the availability of write- ahead logging: http://www.sqlite.org/draft/wal.html http://www.itworld.com/software/112800/database-round Thanks to Arjen Markus for his mostly-weekly Wiki reports: The football championship is doing strange things to people in your chronicler's corner of the world, but fortunately the Wiki is not suffering from that. Old pages resurfacing - Maurice Ulis's work still lives on the Wiki, now with a few screenshots. See the pages on Hugelist and Virtuallist, for instance - <http://wiki.tcl.tk/6784> and <http://wiki.tcl.tk/10035> - The alternative small-footprint implementation of Tcl, Jim, gets attention as well - <http://wiki.tcl.tk/13693> Demonstrating features - Gnuplot may have its quirks, but hey, you can do fascinating things with it. Especially if you use Tcl to tame it - <http://wiki.tcl.tk/13555> - XML files must fit their XML schemas. see this demonstration of an easy way to verify the relationship - <http://wiki.tcl.tk/24361> - If you want to learn more about the canvas widget, this may be a useful start: <http://wiki.tcl.tk/15073> Packag...

Web resources about - Tcl command to evaluate a tcl script? #2 - comp.lang.tcl

Mark Boslough: Using Prediction Markets to Evaluate Various Global Warming Hypotheses - YouTube
Using Prediction Markets to Evaluate Various Global Warming Hypotheses Mark Boslough, Sandia National Laboratories mbboslo@sandia.gov Intrade ...

Govt will 're-evaluate' after Harper review
Bruce Bilson says the government will evaluate 'current approaches' to improve services for the public.

Jarryd Hayne's new San Francisco 49ers coach Chip Kelly to 'evaluate everybody'
Jarryd Hayne will have to endure a nervous few months as new coach Chip Kelly evaluates every player on the San Francisco 49ers' roster.

Teachers re-evaluate value of video games
Although most homes have video games there's been a lot of resistance to them entering the classroom, but that's changing as teachers recognise ...

Forensic psychologist Dr Lisa Warren evaluates threat of patients who promise to kill
The young man seated opposite forensic psychologist Dr Lisa Warren was showing all the warning signs.

Schapelle Corby: Indonesia evaluates Channel Seven story for parole breach
Indonesia evaluates a story on Schapelle Corby to determine if her parole conditions have been broken.

Uber pushes Canadian cities to re-evaluate taxi industry
The advent of competition and new technologies is forcing politicians across Canada to re-evaluate their cities' taxi industries and to wonder ...

Sask. premier calls on PM to re-evaluate Syrian refugee plan
Wall calls on Trudeau to pump the brakes on a plan to 25,000 Syrian refugees to Canada by the end of the year amid heightened security concerns. ...

Taobao evaluates cities on buying power
The country's largest online-shopping platform has placed about 2,600 cities among six levels based on their economic strength and online purchasing ...

China must evaluate friends and enemies
China must evaluate friends and enemies People's Daily Online Since 2013, China has been engaging in "major power" diplomacy. In the past, ...