Man page: http://tcl-fuse.sourceforge.net/
Author: Alexandros Stergiakis
0
alsterg (13)

Alexandros Stergiakis wrote:
> This is an announcement for a relatively new Tcl project: tcl-fuse
>
> Tcl-fuse is a Tcl extension that exports the full functionality of the
> underlying FUSE (File-System in User-Space) Linux kernel feature, to the
> Tcl programming language.
>
> It enables:
>  * Export of the Tcl VFS layer (and all the filesystems implemented in
> it) to external processes, via the FUSE subsystem.
>  * Easy creation of FUSE filesystems, using Tcl.
>
> Dependencies:
>  * Tcl 8.5 or greater.
>  * The running kernel is compiled with FUSE support enabled.
>
> Tcl-fuse was developed as a GSoC2008 project, with Tcl as the mentoring
> organization.
>
> Platform: Linux/Unix
> Home page: http://sourceforge.net/projects/tcl-fuse/
> Man page: http://tcl-fuse.sourceforge.net/
> Author: Alexandros Stergiakis

Is there any connection to the earlier tcl-fuse project?

Answering myself: YES :
	http://wiki.tcl.tk/13853

uwe
In article <59c0q5-2j4.ln1@klein-habertwedt.de>,
Uwe Klein  <uwe_klein_habertwedt@t-online.de> wrote:
>Alexandros Stergiakis wrote:
>> This is an announcement for a relatively new Tcl project: tcl-fuse
>>
>> Tcl-fuse is a Tcl extension that exports the full functionality of the
>> underlying FUSE (File-System in User-Space) Linux kernel feature, to the
>> Tcl programming language.
>>
>> It enables:
>>  * Export of the Tcl VFS layer (and all the filesystems implemented in
>> it) to external processes, via the FUSE subsystem.
>>  * Easy creation of FUSE filesystems, using Tcl.
>>
>> Dependencies:
>>  * Tcl 8.5 or greater.
>>  * The running kernel is compiled with FUSE support enabled.
>>
>> Tcl-fuse was developed as a GSoC2008 project, with Tcl as the mentoring
>> organization.
>>
>> Platform: Linux/Unix
>> Home page: http://sourceforge.net/projects/tcl-fuse/
>> Man page: http://tcl-fuse.sourceforge.net/
>> Author: Alexandros Stergiakis
>
>Is there any connection to the earlier tcl-fuse project?
>
>Answering myself: YES :
>	http://wiki.tcl.tk/13853
>
>uwe

While it reveals nothing new to the comp.lang.tcl readership, a
bit of background for Mr. Stergiakis' achievement appears in <URL:
http://ldn.linuxfoundation.org/article/tcl-simplifes-kernel-programming >.
0
claird (2363)

Tcl 8.5 & Vim's Tcl interface
[Pardon the leading period, but I'm hoping the indenting is preserved to make reading easier] .. I wanted Vim on windows (x64) that was compiled with Vim's .. Tcl interface. All went fairly well, I was able to build .. Vim using window's SDK command line compiler for x64, and I .. linked against ActiveState's Tcl 8.5.11.0 for x64 using .. tclstub85.lib to allow dynamic loading of the Tcl DLL. .. .. [As an aside, I'm hoping to convince Vim's maintainer to .. build the release version of Vim containing support for all .. the language interfaces since only an error message would .. occur if the respective DLL was not found. It appears that .. the Vim maintainer last checked building against 8.4] .. .. The Tcl interface works for a simple ":tcl puts Hello" but .. when I tried anything more I get the error: .. .. wrong # args: should be "catch command ?varName?" .. .. This is because Vim creates a replacement "catch" command .. (I've attached the relevant code below. As the comments .. state, Vim needs to prevent exit() being called by Tcl. Tcl .. 8.5 has introduced a new "catch" command that takes an .. additional argument, and somewhere -- either the Tcl .. library or tcl85.dll -- uses catch with four arguments. I .. don't have 8.5's source but I see that auto.tcl, clock.tcl, .. init.tcl, (I stopped looking) all use the four-argument catch. .. .. So here's my question: what's the best way this...

Tcl's Future was: Re: Apache 2.0 TCL solution
davidnwelton@gmail.com wrote: [snip] > Part of the problem is that where Rails has had brilliant marketing, > Tcl's has been nothing short of disastrous, so with something like > Rails, that is good technology, hopping on the bandwagon is a pleasant > change from the "trench warfware" world of trying to defend Tcl. > > A recent example: > > http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/Message/tcl-core/3201127 > > Someone 'important' actually used Tcl for an important project, and I > don't even see anyone answering him in public. I doubt any...

Dr. Dobb's Tcl-URL!
QOTW: "As usual, Tcl functions just fine when used correctly" -- Aric Bills "The underscore has been a part of tcl since about version 1.0 I'd guess :-)" -- Bryan Oakley POTW: Tcl/Tk Aqua 8.4.7 binary release by Daniel A. Steffen. "Mac OS X native port of the Tcl scripting language and the Tk toolkit". It comes in three flavors: "Batteries Included" with fifty popular extensions, just the Tcl/Tk frameworks and documentation, or a standalone that can be used off read-only media and installed by unprivileged users. http://sf.net/proj...

Dr. Dobb's Tcl-URL!
QOTW: "Tcl has such an extensive library of packages that every time I get a new contract and start designing the tool, I find that someone else has already written over 50% of what I need to write and if I want to use it in my test tool almost 100% of the time all that is required is a simple 'package require xxxxxx' and it's available to me." -- Anthony Davis "I'm surprised, how many regular Tcl'ers have a wrong picture of Tcl and nevertheless can still write good code." -- Andreas Leitgeb POTW: Pgtcl 1.4 by Brett Schwarz. "This is ...

Dr. Dobb's Tcl-URL!
QOTW: "Doctor, do you think this rash on my foot would be better cured with a blowtorch or with a belt sander?" -- Darren New "Tcl's language lawyers are so busy getting real work done that they've not stopped to take the time to create a specification." -- lvirden@yahoo.com POTW: Tile Widget Set, version 0.3 by Joe English. This is "an experimental reimplementation of some of the standard Tk widgets" that offers "Native look and feel under Windows XP" and "'Revitalized' look and feel under Unix". http://tktabl...

Dr. Dobb's Tcl-URL!
QOTW: " M$ Windows may or may not suck, but given a large enough hammer it can be pounded into submission." - David Gravereaux on c.l.t. "[Changing a horse in m]idstream is ok in shallow waters." - Richard Suchenwirth POTW: ANNOUNCE: InstallJammer Multiplatform Installer, version 1.0rc3 InstallJammer is a multiplatform GUI installer and builder designed to be completely cross-platform and function on Windows and most all version of UNIX with eventual support for Mac OS X. InstallJammer Features: * A full-featured install builder. * I...

Dr. Dobb's Tcl-URL!
QOTW: "[T]the real goal [of Tile] is themeable apps with the existing ease of Tk coding. That has been achieved [with 8.5]." - Jeffrey Hobbs "I have been looking into Tclhttpd recently. That is a very cool piece of software." - Robert Hicks POTW: Tcl Windows API extension V0.8 aka TWAPI extension provides access to over 350 functions in the Windows API from within the Tcl scripting language. The extension targets the Windows NT family (NT 4.0SP4+, Windows 2000, Windows XP and Windows 2003), and is not supported on the Windows 95/98/ME platforms. Currently functions i...

Dr. Dobb's Tcl-URL!
QOTW: Expect is "not really overkill, it is a very handy API to process control in general." -- Jeff Hobbs "Write it in Tcl." -- Bob Techentin, summarizing his performance investigation POTW: TIL portably manages long-living processes and other software constructs of interest. http://til.sf.net/ Gerald Lester, R. T. Wurth, and others debate whether [pack] or [grid] is superior. http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/browse_thread/thread/996bad729d8dd9b2/ Wow. "ActiveState Adds Expect for Windows to ActiveTcl" http://g...

Dr. Dobb's Tcl-URL!
QOTW: "One of the reasons why Tcl does well is because it limits the number of places where deeply non-obvious semantics occur." -- Donal K. Fellows "I don't believe that anyone is proposing a new 'deployment police' division to run around preventing people from doing anything they wanted." -- lvirden@yahoo.com POTW: Snit V0.93 by Will Duquette. "Snit is a pure-Tcl object and megawidget framework." http://www.wjduquette.com/snit This discussion of using Tcl to access an Oracle database covers lots of issues, including whether thread...

Dr. Dobb's Tcl-URL!
QOTW: "you can't trust people who nick-hop and ask inane questions" -- Jeff Hobbs "The Erlang guys always think we should use concurrency tests with 200,000 processes ..." -- igouy, on performance-testing POTW: TkPNG is a lightweight and even "nifty" way to teach Tk about PNG. http://www.muonics.com/FreeStuff/TkPNG/ When Expect is "hung" for you--you're almost certainly seeing things wrong. In most cases, "it's not hung, it's just waiting for something that isn't coming," as Bruce Hartweg observes in ...

Dr. Dobb's Tcl-URL!
QOTW: "Did I just read that Tcl IS NOT a scripting language?" -- GlennH "This time I'd like just to say thank you. I've worked on a couple of TCL projects lately for customers that went well, and couldn't have been done without the contributions that everyone here makes, both in software and in advice." -- Alan Folsom POTW: textprops-1.0 by Victor Wagner. "Package textprops adds default right-click menus for entry and text widgets. This version also provides function to add standard edit commands to application main menu. Automatic control of ...

Dr. Dobb's Tcl-URL!
QOTW: "It seems as if the REAL tcl programmers learned their craft from an on-line source. A colleague of mine, Laszlo who is a UNIX programmer in Szombathely, Hungary never picked up a TCL book, but can write some wonderful scripts used on our FIS (factory information system). I'll send him an e-mail and tell him I'm finally taking his advice on TCL. He'll be very happy." - ajocius on c.l.t in reply to a CARE packet from Cameron Laird . "Who needs wizards in a language without magic?" - Richard Suchenwirth POTW: ANNOUNCE: Tcl Plugin v3.1 by Jeffrey H...

Dr. Dobb's Tcl-URL!
QOTW: "If you are using pack, don't - a megawidget should NEVER use pack. You'll be more flexible and efficient with grid." -- Jeff Hobbs "args, how I hates magic variables. I don't env ee those perl programmers." -- Donald Arseneau POTW: Rivet 0.3 by David Welton and the Rivet Team. "Rivet is a system for web programming based on the Apache web server and the Tcl programming language". "The most exciting thing about the new code is the new Session code". http://tcl.apache.org/rivet/ Monitoring a fixed-size file of state i...

Dr. Dobb's Tcl-URL!
QOTW: "[A] complete implementation of the TIP 131 spec [...] should just automagically sort things out & Do The Right Thing(tm)" -- Michael A. Cleverly TIP 131: http://groups.google.com/groups?th=5acf56642aac0750 "Tcl is a toolkit, not a final solution, you set it up to make a language in which to talk clearly and intelligently about your application. If you want or need something better than set, you can write it. 'set' is only part of the toolkit." Larry Smith POTW: TclTkAquaBI by Daniel A. Steffen. Native Aqua Tcl/Tk for Mac OS X. "Ba...

Dr. Dobb's Tcl-URL!
QOTW: "Ain't it nice how many different solutions are available?" -- Helmut Giese "Get in the habit of *always* calling a single proc from a -command or binding. This solves problems now, and will solve problems later when you need to change what a binding or button does." -- Bryan Oakley POTW: TclDES 0.6 by Mac A. Cody. "TclDES is a pure-Tcl implementation of the NIST Data Encryption Standard (DES)." (Kudos on the feather logo!) http://tcldes.sourceforge.net Good advice about separating the GUI from the API. Doing so is easier...

Dr. Dobb's Tcl-URL!
QOTW: "Isn't Tcl just a cross-platform portability library written in C that has a builtin facility for parsing config files?" -- rmax "Hello...just wanted to say I am using Tile on TkAqua and it rules." -- wordtech POTW: The chatroom has lately given a lot of attention to Coccinella and friends. http://wiki.tcl.tk/coccinella Want to pop up a tk_messageBox to your user, but not have a 'tk' window? Easy! http://groups.google.com/groups?th=7906d7e1ff47b637 If you [exec someProgram], you might need both the exit code and the outp...

Dr. Dobb's Tcl-URL!
QOTW: "simple Tcl scripts can get complicated job done" -- Chengye Mao "the beauty of Everything is a Command" -- David N. Welton "I am wild about the ease of deployment Starkit gives me with Tcl." -- Cameron Laird "When you understand [why [if] expressions should be braced], you're half way to understanding Tcl. When you understand why mismatched braces in comments work sometimes and not other times, you'll be the other half of the way there." -- Darren New (There was a bumper crop of quotes this week... this is the ...

Dr. Dobb's Tcl-URL!
QOTW: "One of the main benefits of using Tcl compared to other scripting languages, is its simple and well defined syntax, which is a pleasure to work with (at least for me)." -- Egil St=F8ren "grid can do anything better than pack can" -- Bruce Hartweg POTW (for work): Snit V0.91 by Will Duquette. "Snit is a pure-Tcl object and megawidget framework." "Snit will not bulk up your scripts or take over your life." http://www.wjduquette.com/snit POTW (for play): Car Simulation with Trailer by Andreas Leitgeb. http://avl.enemy.org/TclTk/drive....

Dr. Dobb's Tcl-URL!
QOTW: "The safe method will probably seem bizarre and un-straightforward to those new to Tcl." -- Aric Bills "Basically, Tcl is such a nice "glue" language that there exists lots of extensions for interfacing a Tcl script to code developed in other languages. Then you can use the simpler syntax of Tcl and frameworks like tcltest to create tests much quicker and easier (and with less chance of errors creeping into the test suite itself) than many other languages." -- Ken Jones POTW: XOTclIDE 0.53 by Artur Trzewik. "XOTclIDE is an (Integrated Development En...

Dr. Dobb's Tcl-URL!
QOTW: "Either you fight against the differences or you embrace them." Bryan Oakley, on Tcl's character "Don't guess, measure." Donal K. Fellows POTW: "Kiwi is a graphic application which displays ... trace logs." Keywords: real-time, portable, pure-Tk, ... http://rtportal.upv.es/apps/kiwi/ If you want an HTTP client connection with keep-alive, you need http version 1.1. The core http package doesn't support this, but tclsoap does. http://groups.google.nl/gro...

Dr. Dobb's Tcl-URL!
QOTW: "Tcl is just chock full of nice stuff." -- Donal K. Fellows "this is the first language that I really want to learn." -- alexblue34@hotmail.com POTW: moodss-17.10 and moomps-2.12 by Jean-Luc Fontaine. "Moodss is a modular monitoring application, which [...] allows the construction of dashboards with graphs, pie charts, etc." http://jfontain.free.fr/moodss/ How do we use Tcl? Let us count the ways: http://groups.google.com/groups?th=b8e20ee7cdde7af0 [wm transient] is really just a suggestion, not an ironclad law: http:/...

Web resources about - Tcl-fuse: A Tcl interface to the Linux kernel's FUSE subsystem. - comp.lang.tcl