tcl hangs on exit for multiple open calls from within same tcl script

Hi,

 I am looking to run a couple of processes in parallel. But a strange hang =
occurs randomly. I am invoking two tcl commands using open in parallel. Now=
 after a while one of the process would just hang indefinitely which I am n=
ot able to understand why. The issue is easily reproducible on win 2008 ser=
ver and other multi core machines. Am I doing something wrongly? What is th=
e best way to do this?

To reproduce, you just have to create the files and run loop.bat. You shoul=
d see the hang within 15-20 minutes.

Following are the files I am using=20

********
loop.bat
******
@echo off
:loop
tclsh 1.tcl
goto loop

*****************
Contents of file 1.tcl
*****************
#!/bin/sh
#DO NOT CHANGE THOSE 3 FIRST LINES \
exec tclsh $0 "$@"

set status [catch { exec tclsh 2.tcl } outcmd]
puts $outcmd
exit 0

*******
Contents of file 2.tcl
*****
#!/bin/sh
#DO NOT CHANGE THOSE 3 FIRST LINES \
exec tclsh $0 "$@"

set cmd1 "tclsh 6.tcl &"
set cmd2 "tclsh 5.tcl &"
set out1 ""
set out2 ""

proc isProcessDone { channel logText } {
    gets $channel currentline
    while {[eof $channel] =3D=3D 0} {
        set logText "$logText\n $currentline"
        gets $channel currentline
    }
    return $logText
}

puts "hi"
set imChannel1 [open "| $cmd1"]
puts "hi1 $imChannel1"
set imChannel2 [open "| $cmd2"]
puts "hi2 $imChannel2"
#set imChannel3 [open "| $cmd"]

if { ${imChannel1} !=3D "" } {
	puts 1
	fileevent $imChannel1 readable [set out1 [isProcessDone $imChannel1 $out1]=
]
	puts 11
	puts $out1
}

if { ${imChannel2} !=3D "" } {
	puts 2
	fileevent $imChannel2 readable [set out2 [isProcessDone $imChannel2 $out2]=
]
	puts 22
	puts $out2
}

puts "bye"

exit 0

****=20
Contents of 5.tcl and 6.tcl
******
#!/bin/sh
#DO NOT CHANGE THOSE 3 FIRST LINES \
exec tclsh $0 "$@"

puts "\ncallexec 6 started"
puts "\ncallexec 6 terminated"

Please help.=20

TIA.
Deepanshu

Sorry, no wizard here, but I am certain that your system and tcl
version is required to correctly answer the question. In addition,
locking issues may interfere, so information about the file system
(ex: nfs) may be helpful too.

-Harald
0
wortkarg2 (425)
6/20/2012 2:48:14 PM
On Wednesday, June 20, 2012 8:18:14 PM UTC+5:30, Harald Oehlmann wrote:
> Sorry, no wizard here, but I am certain that your system and tcl
> version is required to correctly answer the question. In addition,
> locking issues may interfere, so information about the file system
> (ex: nfs) may be helpful too.
>
> -Harald

Sorry I missed the details.
OS - Win 2008 Server and Win 2007 (tried on both)
Tcl/Tk - 8.4.15
File System - NTFS

All tcl files are local to the system. You can create the files as mentioned and  run it on a console.
Have not tried on Unix yet.
On Jun 20, 5:55=A0pm, Deepanshu <pahujadeepan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday, June 20, 2012 8:18:14 PM UTC+5:30, Harald Oehlmann wrote:
> > Sorry, no wizard here, but I am certain that your system and tcl
> > version is required to correctly answer the question. In addition,
> > locking issues may interfere, so information about the file system
> > (ex: nfs) may be helpful too.
>
> > -Harald
>
> Sorry I missed the details.
> OS - Win 2008 Server and Win 2007 (tried on both)
> Tcl/Tk - 8.4.15
> File System - NTFS
>
> All tcl files are local to the system. You can create the files as mentio=
ned and =A0run it on a console.
> Have not tried on Unix yet.

Thanks.
I would try on Tcl 8.5.11...
0
wortkarg2 (425)
6/20/2012 4:51:24 PM
Deepanshu wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  I am looking to run a couple of processes in parallel. But a
>  strange hang occurs randomly. I am invoking two tcl commands
>  using open in parallel. Now after a while one of the process
>  would just hang indefinitely which I am not able to understand
>  why. The issue is easily reproducible on win 2008 server and
>  other multi core machines. Am I doing something wrongly? What is
>  the best way to do this?

[snip]

> Please help.
>
> TIA.
> Deepanshu

I don't use windows myself and therefor I didn't run your code, but
I can see a number of issues with it. First of all you appear to be
confused about fileevents. The code you posted doesn't actually use
them, so you are not doing anything in parallel at all.

The fileevent commands takes a script that will be executed when
data becomes available on the channel. Your code just reads the
channel until it reaches eof and then passes that as the script
argument to the fileevent command. It then does the same thing for
the second command. So completely serial.

The reason the strange fileevent script doesn't result in an error
is that you never enter the event loop, so the fileevent doesn't get
a chance to fire.

To use fileevents effectively you should also make your channels
non-blocking.

I don't know if fixing these issues will avoid the hang, but at
least it should make your code do something closer to what you think
it is doing.

Schelte.

0
nospam6520 (256)

l'C program executing from a tcl script with pipe opened using open command in Tcl
Hi all, I wanted to communicate with a C program from a Tcl script.. The test code i have written is below Both the 'C' program and Tcl script are located in the same directory. The 'C' program is below. I have named it CTCL.C #include<stdio.h> #include<string.h> int main() { int i; char c[30]; printf("Reading..."); scanf("%s",c); printf("String read is :%s\n",c); fflush(stdout); return 0; } I have compiled the program with the command cc CTCL.C -o ctcl So the executable was generated with the name 'ctcl' The Tcl script...

This is an announcement for a relatively new Tcl project: tcl-mmap Tcl-mmap is a Tcl interface to the POSIX mmap* system call. It provides a Tcl package that allows Tcl scripts to: 1) Memory map files for improved access efficiency; 2) Share memory between related processes; 3) Easily implement cyclic persistent log files. * See the mmap(2) man page. Platform: Linux/Unix Home page: http://sourceforge.net/projects/tcl-mmap/ Man page: http://tcl-mmap.sourceforge.net/ Author: Alexandros Stergiakis On Sep 3, 11:48=A0am, Alexandros Stergiakis <alst...@gmail.com> wrote: > This is an ...

[ANN] Registration open && 2nd Call For Papers
Hello comp.lang.tcl, fyi ... 22nd Annual Tcl/Tk Conference (Tcl'2015) http://www.tcl.tk/community/tcl2015/ October 19 - 23, 2015 Comfort Suites Manassas 7350 Williamson Blvd, 20109 Manassas, Virginia, USA Important Dates: [[ Attention! Registration is open! Please have a look at http://www.tcl.tk/community/tcl2015/register.html ]] Abstracts and proposals due August 24, 2015 Notification to authors August 31, 2015 WIP and BOF reservations open July 27, 2015 Author materials due September 28, 2015 Tutorials Start October 19, 2015 Co...

Sourcing a TCL file from within a tcl file
I am a newbie which I am sure I don't need to state :) I am trying to create a variable with a TCL file that will source another tcl file when I type the variable name something like this if I enter A through my keyboard then source a.tcl Can someone show me how to do this thanks guy On Dec 10, 1:15=A0pm, guy <gcoletta2...@gmail.com> wrote: > I am a newbie which I am sure I don't need to state :) > > I am trying to create a variable with a TCL file that will source > another tcl file when I type the variable name > > something like this > > if I e...

Dose there any tcl script to translate an file with embedded tcl
Hi I need to generate some big file, but there are rules for generate these files Ex . ============================== Start input a [0] wire input a [1] wire .. .. .. .. input a [1000] wire End ================================= Dose there any tcl script can help to translate a file with embedded tcl script into a new file For example this is a source file ======================== Start * set i 0 * for { set i 0 } { $i < 1000 } { incr i } { * puts input a [$i] wire * } End ========================== After Translate ======================= Start input a [0] wire input a [1] wire .. .. ...

tcl application with tcl application

Hello It's Friday and... well... Two things about Tcl going through my mind this week, a nice anecdote and a eyebrow-rising thing on Wikipedia: Anecdote: Until three months ago I worked in a scientific institue where I wrote much software in Tcl, especially a big Build and Report System, some tools for automatic checking of coding style and other things. Tcl had a bad reputation there (not because of me... they dropped Tcl before I started there in favour of Joy, then JavaScript and now Python) and besides me, there was only one co-worker who appearantly writes some small Tcl-Scripts to...

How to compile tcl or encrypt tcl
I use TclPro1.5 to compile my tcl script with tixwish in the Solaris before. But I cannot use the same method in Linux. Why? Is there any utility for me to compile or encrypt the code by using tixwish? The following is the simple code if I use the tixwish: #!/home/albertl/local/bin/tixwish puts "haha" And after using procomp by the TclPro1.5 Error in startup script: The TclPro ByteCode Loader is not available or does not support the correct version while executing "error "The TclPro ByteCode Loader is not available or does not support the correct version""...

tcl script not working when called from cgi script

Run Matlab Script within TCL Script
Hello TCL Experts, I am new to the world of TCL/TK. So, pardon me if you think my question is very basic. I have an .m file which I need to run within my tcl script. Ideally, I would like to run the tcl script on machines where there is no MATLAB installed. Do you think there is a way to do it? If yes, can you please direct me to do the same/ Sanket jainsanket1@gmail.com wrote: > Hello TCL Experts, > > I am new to the world of TCL/TK. So, pardon me if you think my > question is very basic. > Basic questions are welcome. However, your description is confusing: > I have an .m file which I need to run within my tcl script. What exactly do you mean by "running within a tcl script"? Please describe the kind of processing that you expect. Ideally, I > would like to run the tcl script on machines where there is no MATLAB > installed. > This suggests that MATLAB would be a requirement to run tcl scripts. It isn't. You're almost making me think that you intend to use Tcl to execute matlab statements, which makes no sense at all. Two guesses: 1. are you meaning to invoke matlab process from a Tcl script to process your .m file? 2. are you meaning to make Tcl modify a matlab .m file? If not, please rephrase your question. Erik Leunissen > Do you think there is a way to do it? If yes, can you please direct me > to do the same/ > > Sanket -- leunissen@ nl | Merge the left part of these two lines ...

Tcl [exit] hanging?
Hi All, I just spoke with a customer who's running a Tcl-based console application (from a batch file under Windows). The app is an EXE created using TclApp. The termination code in the application looks like this: proc appExit {} { ... #(some cleanup) ... #(some cleanup) trace "\nExit status --> $retVal" exit $retVal } The program is called (via a BAT file) hundreds of times per night. According to the customer, every so often, the process does not exit properly. He's activated a debugging flag in the app, which causes the above [trace] cal...

Why can execution results in tcl shell differ than if using tcl script??
Hi, I have been posting a thread here: http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/browse_thread/thread/983d7ef3e4b1ab54# I have another question that might be related to it, I'm doing set of tcl commands (involving external shell commands execution) one time in tcl shell, and the other from a tcl script.. Although both command sequences are the same, I get quite different results!!! Why did this happens?? Thanks, Ahmad Ahmad wrote: > Hi, > > I have been posting a thread here: > http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/browse_thread/thread/983d7ef3e4b1ab54# > > I have another question that might be related to it, I'm doing set of > tcl commands (involving external shell commands execution) one time in > tcl shell, and the other from a tcl script.. > > Although both command sequences are the same, I get quite different > results!!! Why did this happens?? > > Thanks, > Ahmad The interactive Tcl shell has access to external functionality that a running script doesn't. That's done to make the interactive environment easier to work with. What, specifically, is the command sequence you're issuing in both cases? Jeff Hi Jeff, Thank you for your reply. I've a tcl script that finally creates a certain script, that is when I run from shell using "calibredrv -gui <certainRunScript>" from command line it do exactly what I expect. I have tried two scenarios of trials, and only one of...

Tcl
Hello all. I found on hobbes the afaik latest Tcl for Os/2 v8.35 Is there any newer port, cause i try to update the eggdrop and that says: Your Tcl version is much too old for Eggdrop to use. You should download and compile a more recent version. The most reliable current version is 8.5.X and can be downloaded from ftp://tcl.activestate.com/pub/tcl/tcl8_5/. -- With the best regards from the Netherlands, Tu, "Tellerbop" <Tellerbop@wint.nl>, hai scritto questo in data Wed, 14 Jan 2009 19:11:18 UTC: > Hello all. > > I found on hobbes the afaik latest Tcl for Os/2...

TCL
Hello, i would like to build TCL/TK as a separate DLL-Library. Can anyone tell me how this can be done with VC 6.0? Best regards, Reinhold "Reinhold.kwauka" <bernd-reinhold.kwauka@t-online.de> wrote: >Hello, > >i would like to build TCL/TK as a separate DLL-Library. Can anyone tell me >how this can be done >with VC 6.0? > >Best regards, >Reinhold > 1) get the source from http://tcl.sourceforge.net/ 2) open a command prompt 3) cd to the win/ subdirectory 4) call vcvars32.bat located in ??\vc98\bin\ of vc6 for wherever you installed it. 5) type @ the prompt: nmake -f makefile.vc -- David Gravereaux <davygrvy@pobox.com> [species: human; planet: earth,milkyway(western spiral arm),alpha sector] Reinhold.kwauka wrote: > Hello, > > i would like to build TCL/TK as a separate DLL-Library. Can anyone tell me > how this can be done > with VC 6.0? > > Best regards, > Reinhold > > Its already done. Just download a binary release for windows and check \Program Files\Tcl\lib for the DLLs and static libraries. ...

Tcl
Hello, where can I see for tcl syntacs and how-to run a tcl test? Thank You Vittore ___________________________________ Yahoo! Mail: gratis 1GB per i messaggi e allegati da 10MB http://mail.yahoo.it ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Posted to the ptolemy-hackers mailing list. Please send administrative mail for this list to: ptolemy-hackers-request@ptolemy.eecs.berkeley.edu ...

fileevent and vwait dilema with one tcl script calling multiple copies of another
Hello All, I'm have one tcl script trying to run multiple copies of another tcl scri= pt (in parallel). I'm using open "|script.tcl" to launch the individual co= pies of each script. However, I need to limit the number of concurrent scr= ipts running at the same time, thus I'm tracking an "active_sessions" varia= ble. The problem I'm having is I'm trying to use fileevent to look for EOF= to tell me when an individual copy of a script has completed. fileevent w= ill not work unless I put vwait right after it (as show below). However, o= nce I put in vwait I'm now only running one script at a time (in series) an= d I lose the ability to run multiple scripts at one time. Any suggestions= ????? Something else I've noticed that when I don't use vwait or fileevent, all o= f the individual processes end up as defunct processes (running this on Lin= ux). I tried this when I was looking at tracking PIDs to control number of= active_sessions and determining when a script completed. Thanks in advance for your help.=20 Al Silverstein proc Reader { pipe } { global active_sessions ALL_DONE my_log if [eof $pipe] { catch {close $pipe} incr active_sessions -1 if {$active_sessions =3D=3D 0 } { set ALL_DONE 1 } return } else { gets $pipe line ...

Registration Open for 19th Annual Tcl/Tk Conference (Tcl'2012)
19th Annual Tcl/Tk Conference (Tcl'2012) http://www.tcl.tk/community/tcl2012/ November 12 - 16, 2012 Sessions: National Museum of Health and Medicine Chicago 175 W. Washington Chicago, IL 60602 Rooms: Holiday Inn Chicago Mart Plaza 350 West Mart Center Drive Chicago, Illinois, USA Map/Transport: https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=204739899073144451536.0004c144222a9036c99f6&msa=0&ll=41.885266,-87.633734&spn=0.008443,0.018818 http://wiki.tcl.tk/28843#pagetoca7e55932 I am pleased to announce that registration for the Conference is now open at http://www.tcl.tk/community/tcl2012/reg.html To book a room at the conference hotel at reduced rates please follow the instructions on that page. Note that the offer of reduced rates expires on October 20. Book early. Our schedule can be found at http://www.tcl.tk/community/tcl2012/schedule.html Conference Committee Clif Flynt Noumena Corp General Chair, Website Admin Andreas Kupries ActiveState Software Inc. Program Chair Cyndy Lilagan Nat. Museum of Health & Medicine, Chicago Site/Facilities Chair Arjen Markus Deltares Brian Griffin Mentor Graphics Donal Fellows University of Manchester Gerald Lester KnG Consulting, LLC Jeffrey Hobbs ActiveState Software Inc. Kevin Kenny GE Global Research Center Larry Virden Mike Doyle ...

1st Call For Papers
22nd Annual Tcl/Tk Conference (Tcl'2015) http://www.tcl.tk/community/tcl2015/ October 19 - 23, 2015 Comfort Suites Manassas 7350 Williamson Blvd, 20109 Manassas, Virginia, USA Important Dates: Abstracts and proposals due August 24, 2015 Notification to authors August 31, 2015 WIP and BOF reservations open July 27, 2015 Author materials due September 28, 2015 Tutorials Start October 19, 2015 Conference starts October 21, 2015 Email Contact: tclconference@googlegroups.com Submission of Summaries Tcl/Tk 201...

Does anyone have a Tcl Script which does a Multi Part File Upload to web site ( TCL CGI )
Hello all, I am after a Tcl script which I can use on my apache Linux server which a user can upload files or pictures to the site with ... Any help is appreciated, Thank you for the help, Sean - HeliHobby.com Sean wrote: > Hello all, > > I am after a Tcl script which I can use on my apache Linux server > which a user can upload files or pictures to the site with ... > > Any help is appreciated, > > Thank you for the help, > > Sean - HeliHobby.com I use ncgi for ths (from tcllib). It rocks! high quality code that never fails. For instance the file upload...

2nd Call For Papers for the 17th Annual Tcl/Tk Conference (Tcl'2010)
[[ Important Changes: More information about registration at the hotel. Our location chair has organized special social activities, both geeky (FermiLab Tour) and cultured (Theatre). See below for more. ]] 17th Annual Tcl/Tk Conference (Tcl'2010) http://www.tcl.tk/community/tcl2010/ October 11 - 15, 2010 Hilton Suites/Conference Center Chicago/Oakbrook Terrace, Illinois, USA Important Dates: Abstracts and proposals due August 1, 2010 Notification to authors August 15, 2010 WIP and BOF reservations open August 1, 2010 Author materials due October 1, 2010 Tutorials Start October 11, 2010 Conference starts October 13, 2010 Email Contact: tclconference@googlegroups.com Submission of Summaries Tcl/Tk 2010 will be held in Chicago/Oakbrook Terrace, Illinois USA from October 11 - 15, 2010. The program committee is asking for papers and presentation proposals from anyone using or developing with Tcl/Tk (and extensions). Past conferences have seen submissions covering a wide variety of topics including: * Scientific and engineering applications * Industrial controls * Distributed applications and Network Managment * Object oriented extensions to Tcl/Tk * New widgets for Tk * Simulation and application steering with Tcl/Tk * Tcl/Tk-centric operating environments * Tcl/Tk on small and embedded devices * Medical applications and visualization * Use of different programming paradigms in Tcl/Tk and pr...

Web resources about - tcl hangs on exit for multiple open calls from within same tcl script - comp.lang.tcl

Multiple sequence alignment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A multiple sequence alignment (MSA) is a sequence alignment of three or more biological sequences , generally protein , DNA , or RNA . In many ...

Man stabbed multiple times, woman arrested
A man is fighting for life after being stabbed multiple times in Rosebud West on Saturday.

Windows 10 Mobile Update: Multiple evidences indicate March 2016 arrival
Microsoft has consistently delayed the arrival of the Windows 10 Mobile update since December 2015, but fresh information indicate that the update ...

Sydney shooting: Police, ambulances rush to multiple shooting at Ingleburn
Police are responding to reports of a multiple shooting at Ingleburn in Sydney's south-west.

Sydney shooting: Police, ambulances rush to multiple shooting at Ingleburn
Police are responding to reports of a multiple shooting at Ingleburn in Sydney's south-west.

Newly released multiple angle video and photos show Google’s self-driving car accident [Video]
A new video with multiple angles and new pictures of the Google’s self-driving car hitting a bus last week and its aftermath have been released ...

Multiple iOS apps found to be harvesting Snapchat user credentials
... them and change their passwords on the social media platform as soon as possible. New discoveries revealed today point to the fact that multiple ...

Fire officials: Boarding house blaze kills multiple victims
ATLANTA (AP) — An Atlanta fire spokesman says a fire has killed multiple victims at a boarding house.

Suicide Squad: Margot Robbie Tried On Multiple Versions Of Harley Quinn Costume Including Court Jester ...
When the first images of Margot Robbie's Arkham-inspired Harley Quinn from Suicide Squad hit the [...]

Science Says: Video Games May Improve Cognitive Abilities In Multiple Sclerosis Patients
... a newly published study claims that some video games may actually be helpful for the more than 2 million people around the world with Multiple ...