Tcl interface to C program

I am developing a program (a game) that has two main states: one is
the actual game which is a low-level full screen C program that must
be very optimized; the other is a textual interface where the player
sets options like difficulty, save games, colors, etc. For example,
while playing the game the user can press Esc to pause the game and go
into the text interface.

I was thinking of using Tcl as the text interface. Does anyone have
any pointers on how to do this? I would like to design it so the
main() part of the program is Tcl, with a command lets the user switch
into the full screen C game (which would be like a module). How does
that work? Can it all be combined into one executable file? Any help
would be appreciated.

0
bluejolts (2)

bluejolts@gmail.com schrieb:
> I am developing a program (a game) that has two main states: one is
> the actual game which is a low-level full screen C program that must
> be very optimized; the other is a textual interface where the player
> sets options like difficulty, save games, colors, etc. For example,
> while playing the game the user can press Esc to pause the game and go
> into the text interface.
text interface aka tty on unix or dos console on windows? Another option
would be to use Tk for a gui.

> I was thinking of using Tcl as the text interface. Does anyone have
> any pointers on how to do this?
For tty's look at the tcllib term package, which does ansi escape
sequences and cursor movement stuff in ansi ttys.

>I would like to design it so the
> main() part of the program is Tcl, with a command lets the user switch
> into the full screen C game (which would be like a module). How does
> that work? Can it all be combined into one executable file? Any help
> would be appreciated.

If you do not need Tcl functionality during your running game its rather
simple to do. Get a Tcl core distribution and look at the files that
build the tclsh shell (Tcl_Main ... in the platform specific subdirs),
and just build your own shell, with one extra command to switch into
full screen mode.

Its harder if you need the event loop running while your game runs, but
your description does not sound like you need that.

Michael

0
schlenk (1615)
9/8/2007 4:12:45 PM
On Sep 7, 3:57 pm, bluejo...@gmail.com wrote:
> I am developing a program (a game) that has two main states: one is
> the actual game which is a low-level full screen C program that must
> be very optimized; the other is a textual interface where the player
> sets options like difficulty, save games, colors, etc. For example,
> while playing the game the user can press Esc to pause the game and go
> into the text interface.
>
> I was thinking of using Tcl as the text interface. Does anyone have
> any pointers on how to do this? I would like to design it so the
> main() part of the program is Tcl, with a command lets the user switch
> into the full screen C game (which would be like a module). How does
> that work? Can it all be combined into one executable file? Any help
> would be appreciated.

You might want to check out the SIMPL toolkit (http://
users.netrover.com/~ican/simpl).

There are lots of examples of exactly the kind of Tcl - C program
interfacing that you describe.

You might also want to look at the examples and SIMPL presentation
at:  http://www.icanprogram.com/hosug

bob

0
icanbob (63)

C++/Tcl/C++ Interface
Hi, I'm a newbie in Tcl and Tcl/C++ interfacing. I need to develop a prototype for one of our upcoming project. I've a shared library which provides Tcl procedures to traverse through some graph which is being created upon reading a file of specific format. If I load this shared library in Tcl shell and call those proc to read the specific file and traverse the graph. Graph traversal proc are like: * getting neighbor nodes of a given node * getting the node name and edge names to/from a node Let's name this Tcl library GL (graph lib). Now, in my C++ program I need create a duplicate graph since I don't have capability read that file directly. So from my C++ code, I need to create a Tcl channel, send commands through the Tcl channel for GL procs and get information from those GL procs to my C++ application to build a duplicate graph on my end. Could some one provide hints how to go about this? Any pointers to existing resource (doc/open source code) will be very helpful. Please redirect me to correct group if this is not the most appropriate one. Regards, ~ Soumen Soumen wrote: > Hi, > > I'm a newbie in Tcl and Tcl/C++ interfacing. I need to develop a > prototype for one > of our upcoming project. > > I've a shared library which provides Tcl procedures to traverse > through some graph > which is being created upon reading a file of specific format. If I > load this shared > library in Tcl shell and ca...

create a tcl/tk interface for a c program
Hi, I have an application in c (a client for a news server). The application is working and running, the problem is that it is in command line mode. I want to create a separate tcl/tk interface that will control my c program; something like executing it, and reading the c-program results from the prompt and dealing with it... I need the two programs to be separated, and I don't need it to be a standalone program, I just need to launch the client from the tcl/tk interface and retrieve all messages in textbox or tables, and all the communication between the user and the c program wou...

TCL/TCL combined with Java/C/C++, Any Recommendations?
Hi, I have an application that I wrote in TCL/TK. It has to work with big files +5GB. The parsing performace is not where I would like and some of the data manipulations are taking considerable amount of time due to the data size. Therefore I am considering switching these parts of the code to Java, C or C++. While keepting the GUI and GUI supporting code in TCL/TK at this time. I am trying to figure out which language will be easier to merge with TCL in an application. For C I know that I can compile and generate a .so or .dll and create a TCL package and load it. I believe this is done with SWIG but I have not done it. In Java I saw some info on Jacl and TclBlend. The application will be "compiled" into a TCL "executable". I know I can compile my TCL code into Byte code to protect the IP. I am not sure about Java. Any recommendations or pointers will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Frank Frank <kranfg@gmail.com> writes: > Hi, > > I have an application that I wrote in TCL/TK. It has to work with big files +5GB. > > The parsing performace is not where I would like and some of the data manipulations are taking considerable amount of time due to the data size. > > Therefore I am considering switching these parts of the code to Java, C or C++. While keepting the GUI and GUI supporting code in TCL/TK at this time. > > I am trying to figure out which language will be easier to ...

Using Tcl/Tk as a user interface in a C program
Hi, i thought this question would come up every day, but i read this NG for a while and haven't seen it since. What i'd like to do is use Tcl/Tk in a standalone (linked against Tcl and/or Tk libs) C program. I'd like to open Windows and call Tcl scripts from C that handle the windows. I wouldn't like to have external scripts called, but i'd like to embed it in the C program. Has anybody got a short example for that (Linux / Windows)? Thanks for any hints, Torsten. MkTclApp is your friend: http://www.hwaci.com/sw/mktclapp/index.html Pretty simple, really. On T...

l'C program executing from a tcl script with pipe opened using open command in Tcl
Hi all, I wanted to communicate with a C program from a Tcl script.. The test code i have written is below Both the 'C' program and Tcl script are located in the same directory. The 'C' program is below. I have named it CTCL.C #include<stdio.h> #include<string.h> int main() { int i; char c[30]; printf("Reading..."); scanf("%s",c); printf("String read is :%s\n",c); fflush(stdout); return 0; } I have compiled the program with the command cc CTCL.C -o ctcl So the executable was generated with the name 'ctcl' The Tcl script I have written is. I have named it TCLPIPETEST.tcl #!/usr/add-on/exptools/bin/tclsh set fd [open "|./ctcl" r+] gets $fd tmp1 puts "tmp1 = $tmp1" set stat 0 set tmp2 "Default value... " if { ![catch { puts $fd "abcdef" } res]} { if { ![catch { flush $fd } res] } { if { ![catch { gets $fd tmp2} res ] } { set stat 1 } else { puts "Error 'gets' from pipe : $res" } } else { puts "Error 'flush' from pipe:$res " } } else { puts "Error 'puts' from pipe:$res " } if { $stat == 1 } { puts "Success......:$tmp2 :)" } else { puts "Failure......:$tmp2 :(" } I have given all permissions for both the files above. When i execute the Tcl script My aim is to open a pipe with the 'C' executable 'ctcl', initially read so...

tcl as library of c/c++/java program
Hi, All tcl books I know talking how tcl can dynamically load c library. Is any source out there talking about WHO A C/C++/JAVA PROGRAM TO USE TCL AS LIBRARY? Thank, alex "tak" <tak416@yahoo.com> wrote > All tcl books I know talking how tcl can dynamically load c library. > Is any source out there talking about WHO A C/C++/JAVA > PROGRAM TO USE TCL AS LIBRARY? Start with http://phaseit.net/claird/comp.lang.tcl/HowToC.html but some people think that you can choose a better overall architecture. http://mini.net/tcl/9303 If you choose to use Tcl libraries "the o...

Connecting a C program with a tcl program with a socket
Dear readers, Several threads on this newsgroup mentioned communication between external programs and a tcl program, or controlling an external program with by a tcl program. In essence, the basic means to do this relatively gracefull is to open a socket (or pipe) connection between the two, and let them communicate over it using messages. Just for those who asked for it or with an interest, not in this case as well throughwrought result of many tests, but an example of how this principle can work in practice, at least it did for me, and did so long in the past, using no all to speci...

Interfacing C++ and Tcl
Hello, I've got some problems interfacing Tcl and a C++ shared library. Here are (short) source files that shows my problem : --- libtest.h --- extern "C" int testClass(void); extern "C" int testExceptions(void); --- libtest.cc --- #include <iostream.h> #include "libtest.h" class toto { public : int mymessage ; }; extern "C" int testClass(void) { cout << "Casting a toto..." << endl; toto *mytoto; cout << "Changing its value..." << endl; (*mytoto).mymessage = 145; ...

TCL + C interface
Hello: I am currently working on a project that calculates the coordinates of the jovian moons and displays them on the screen. i have GUI built in TCL. All the math for the calulation is written in C. How do i get the two programs to work and also how do i make it an .exe file. The program will have to take the user entered date and time and send it to the C program. The C program will calculate the positions of the moon and these values have to be feed back to the Tcl program so that they can be displayed on the screen. Anyways help will be appreciated Thank You In article <10bb...

Tcl Book that explains tcl C API?
Hi! I am looking for material that explains the tcl C API in order to: - Embed Tcl into a C application. - Extend Tcl to add new commands in C. Does Tcl and Tk Toolkit (2nd Edition) by Ken Jones and John Ousterhout do a good job explain these topics in depth? Thanks! Asif wrote: > Hi! > > I am looking for material that explains the tcl C API in order to: > > - Embed Tcl into a C application. > - Extend Tcl to add new commands in C. > > Does Tcl and Tk Toolkit (2nd Edition) by Ken Jones and John Ousterhout do > a good job explain these topics in depth? > > Thanks! can help you cheap:; http://freecomputerbooks.com/langTclBooks.html -- -- -- What's on Shortwave guide: choose an hour, go! http://shortwave.tk 700+ Radio Stations on SW http://swstations.tk 300+ languages on SW http://radiolanguages.tk marc wrote: > Asif wrote: > >> Hi! >> >> I am looking for material that explains the tcl C API in order to: >> >> - Embed Tcl into a C application. >> - Extend Tcl to add new commands in C. >> >> Does Tcl and Tk Toolkit (2nd Edition) by Ken Jones and John Ousterhout do >> a good job explain these topics in depth? >> >> Thanks! > > > can help you cheap:; > http://freecomputerbooks.com/langTclBooks.html Would you really trust a site which *PRESUMES* the whole world uses their preferred settings and the heck with the visually imperfect. The resu...

how to debug tcl running under tcl interep in C++ exe
Hi: I have a C++ exe, which has a tcl interep and loads some tcl files. The exe throws a tcl shell to user where user enters tcl scripts. I want to debug the tcl files while these exe runs. Is there any way/debugger to do this? Regards --Sourav Sourav Sircar schrieb: > Hi: > I have a C++ exe, which has a tcl interep and loads some tcl files. > The exe throws a tcl shell to user where user enters tcl scripts. > I want to debug the tcl files while these exe runs. Is there any > way/debugger to do this? > Regards > --Sourav You could probably load the comm package from tcllib and attach tkcon, tkinspect or one of the other debuggers/consoles to the running interpreter. See http://wiki.tcl.tk/4003 for an overview whats available for debugging. Michael Hi Michael: Thanks for your help. I tried your suggestion in the following way 1. In a shell i started my exe and loaded comm package. It gave me a comm port number 2. In another shell i started tkcon 3. Now i try to attach my exe to tkcon, i use "tkcon attach <comm port>" inside tkcon but it says no interep found. Could you please suggest how should i attach my exe to tkcon? Regards --Sourav sourav.k.sircar@gmail.com schrieb: > Hi Michael: > Thanks for your help. > I tried your suggestion in the following way > > 1. In a shell i started my exe and loaded comm package. It gave me a > comm port number > 2. In another shell i started tk...

In Tcl and C++ code, how to use Tcl Command, such as exit?
In my code, i used Tcl_SetStdChannel(0, STDIN) and a thread to control all input and output from Tcl, but i want to use some of Tcl' Commands, such as, exit. I used Tcl_Eval() then, but the Tcl command seem invisible in my code, I typed a string in command prompt, such as "AAAAA", and Enter, got nothing feedback. How can i do to get these Tcl Commands work? Thanx! vian1381@china.com.cn wrote: > In my code, i used Tcl_SetStdChannel(0, STDIN) and a thread to control > all input and output from Tcl, but i want to use some of Tcl' Commands, > such as, exit. > > I used Tcl_Eval() then, but the Tcl command seem invisible in my code, > I typed a string in command prompt, such as "AAAAA", and Enter, got > nothing feedback. Your questions are hard to understand, but they suggest that you believe that setting a custom stdin channel will do some magic to establsh a prompt/read/eval loop. That is not the case. > How can i do to get these Tcl Commands work? Start with something that works, like the source code for tclsh, and adapt to your needs. Or post a followup and include more code examples to explain what you're doing and how it doesn't do what you expect. -- | Don Porter Mathematical and Computational Sciences Division | | donald.porter@nist.gov Information Technology Laboratory | | http://math.nist.gov/~DPorter/ NIST | |_____________________________________...

Remembering Tcl: Problems with C and Tcl communicated via pipelines
I am now remembering TCL and I have came across with a problem when doing something I used to do. My purpose is to implement a console-like GUI to present in a listbox outputs from another program written in c and allow to command orders via an entry. All the communication between both programs will be via pipeline As a first approximation, I tried several easy examples and I get stucked with these two programs (see below). When executing tclprogram2.tcl I get Done1 and Done2 and nothing more: i must end it with Ctrl-C. However, if I change Hello3 lines before for loop, the program run smoo...

I have trouble when running my tcl and c program
hello all, I code a program with c and tcl/tk. then compile it as follows: $gcc tcl_c.c -I/usr/local/ActiveTcl/include -L/usr/local/ActiveTcl/lib -ltcl8.4 -ltk8.4 -o test then run it: $./test ../test: error while loading shared libraries: libtcl8.4.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory then I use ldd command to check test. $ldd test libtcl8.4.so => not found libtk8.4.so => not found libc.so.6 => /lib/tls/libc.so.6 (0x42000000) /lib/ld-linux.so.2 => /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x40000000) could you help me? thanks. guo * sunnyb...

How to write a C program that interacts with tcl?
Hi everyone! I want to write a C program that can interact with tcl by pipeline. This is my C program: # readwrite.c #include <stdio.h> #include <unistd.h> int main(void) { int i,count; char buf[33]; while(1) { memset(buf, 0, 33); read(0, buf, 32); for(i=0;i<64;i++) printf("%x ", buf[i]); printf("\n"); } return 0; } It works very well when you run it in bash shell, just like this: # readwrite abcd 61 62 63 64 a 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 ...

question about tcl/tk and c program
In my Tcl/Tk scripts, I want to program different branches according to the result of my C extension procedures. In the C procedure, we usually use such codes as follow: int CountStart(ClientData clientData, Tcl_Interp *interp,int argc, char *argv[]) { ............... ................ interp->result = "end vpstart."; //return TCL_OK; return TCL_ERROR; } In Tcl/Tk scripts, we can use "set ret [count_start $sym]" or "catch {count_start $sym} ret" to call the C procedure CountStart. The variable "ret" is assigned with the string which was saved...

Web resources about - Tcl interface to C program - comp.lang.tcl

Interface - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wikipedia for iOS updated w/ redesigned interface, 3D Touch, Handoff & more
... released an update to its iOS app that adds a host of new features and capabilities. The latest version of the app offers a redesigned interface ...

Waze 4.0 unveiled with revamped user interface
... post, Waze has uploaded a video straight to YouTube to tell us what’s new. Basically, we are looking at a complete refresh to the user interface, ...

LibreOffice 5.1 reorganizes user interface, reduces start-up times
... 5.1 32-bit . It comes just under six months after version 5.0 debuted back in August yet unveils some major changes to the user interface as ...

Industrial IoT still needs humans and user interfaces
IoT is getting more automated, but not everything can be done by machines. An engineer who's been working with a system for decades has insights ...

Software brings your PC's entire interface to VR
Virtual reality faces numerous challenges, but one of the biggest is having to take your headset off whenever you need to run a conventional ...

LibreOffice 5.1 Offers Reorganized User Interface for Its Apps
LibreOffice 5.1, the latest iteration of the open-source office suite, adds new user interface elements. We examine highlights of the release. ...

AMD is supposedly planning a 32-core CPU with an eight-channel DDR4 interface
AMD may be planning a new 32-core server CPU once Zen launches but whether that's a good thing or not depends on whether its an Intel bunker ...

Hints Of Apple's Futuristic iPhone Interface Revealed
The US Patent Office has released a batch of patents assigned to Apple, and one of them details a new way of identifying yourself and allowing ...

Where is that sound coming from? Signal Interface’s acoustic imager will show you
... industrial site pinpoints sound coming from a passing truck as well as from equipment on the other side of a buildling. (Credit: Signal Interface ...