TCL is not thread safer in TCL 8.3 or 8.4... Any plans to fix this?

It is a shame that I can't upgrade one of my applications due to this
problem, though the memory leaks also intorduced in 8.3 and 8.4 are
problem as well. :(

I have a process that spawn a configurable number of thread with a TCL
intrepeter in each one.  The interps are isolated and do not
communicate or share anything withe each other.  Each thread is a rule
processor that is handed TCL scripts based on what events occurs within
a multi process enviroment rnaing across the whole itnerprize...
Works great with TCL 8.2, not a single problem...   But with TCL 8.3
and TCL 8.4 we get quite a few run time errors and/or data corruption
and core dumps that all leads back to TCL. :(  Quite a shame!

0
cwhooks (6)

cwhooks@landacorp.com wrote:
> It is a shame that I can't upgrade one of my applications due to this
> problem, though the memory leaks also intorduced in 8.3 and 8.4 are
> problem as well. :(

What are the bug report ID numbers of the issues giving you trouble?

--
| Don Porter          Mathematical and Computational Sciences Division |
| donald.porter@nist.gov             Information Technology Laboratory |
Don Porter <dgp@email.nist.gov> wrote:
> cwhooks@landacorp.com wrote:
>> It is a shame that I can't upgrade one of my applications due to this
>> problem, though the memory leaks also intorduced in 8.3 and 8.4 are
>> problem as well. :(
>
> What are the bug report ID numbers of the issues giving you trouble?

I've also had some bad experience with threads-enabled Tcl/Tk in
the past, but it's not easy to write a bugreport for some
bug that only occurs randomly. ("heisenbug")
In my case it was with the game bubbles (from the french tcl wiki),
which irregularly, but much too often just locked up waiting for godot.

I posted here, and the answer was to run it in a threads-disabled
tcl/tk.

Is a bugreport about such a bug (that cannot be explicitly triggered, but
still happens from time to time) of any use?

0
avl1 (2748)
6/17/2005 8:43:55 AM
Andreas Leitgeb wrote:
> Don Porter <dgp@email.nist.gov> wrote:
>
>>cwhooks@landacorp.com wrote:
>>
>>>It is a shame that I can't upgrade one of my applications due to this
>>>problem, though the memory leaks also intorduced in 8.3 and 8.4 are
>>>problem as well. :(
>>
>>What are the bug report ID numbers of the issues giving you trouble?
>>

> I've also had some bad experience with threads-enabled Tcl/Tk in
> the past, but it's not easy to write a bugreport for some
> bug that only occurs randomly. ("heisenbug")
> In my case it was with the game bubbles (from the french tcl wiki),
> which irregularly, but much too often just locked up waiting for godot.
>
> I posted here, and the answer was to run it in a threads-disabled
> tcl/tk.
>
> Is a bugreport about such a bug (that cannot be explicitly triggered, but
> still happens from time to time) of any use?

Yes! As a maintainer, I know that such reports trigger our attention.

Typically, we will require the reporter's help to get us to reproduce
the problem. This process is often iterative, difficult and lengthy.
Especially when a C extension is involved, or if the bug-triggering
script is large.

OTOH, if the bug is not reported nobody is aware of it. There is no hope
that we can study and repair the problem.

Cheers
Miguel

0
msofer (298)
6/17/2005 9:18:51 AM
Andreas Leitgeb wrote:
> I've also had some bad experience with threads-enabled Tcl/Tk in
> the past, but it's not easy to write a bugreport for some
> bug that only occurs randomly. ("heisenbug")
> In my case it was with the game bubbles (from the french tcl wiki),
> which irregularly, but much too often just locked up waiting for godot.

We think we may have identified a potential problem with the default
POSIX threads implementation in some versions of glibc. We're still
investigating (on and off) but it looks like upgrading glibc will fix
the problem, as will setting the environment variable LD_ASSUME_KERNEL
to something. The gory details are in Tk bug 1220692:

http://sf.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=1220692&group_id=12997&atid=112997

Donal.
Donal K. Fellows wrote:
> Andreas Leitgeb wrote:
>
>> I've also had some bad experience with threads-enabled Tcl/Tk in
>> the past, but it's not easy to write a bugreport for some bug that
>> only occurs randomly. ("heisenbug")
>> In my case it was with the game bubbles (from the french tcl wiki),
>> which irregularly, but much too often just locked up waiting for godot.
>

> We think we may have identified a potential problem with the default
> POSIX threads implementation in some versions of glibc. We're still
> investigating (on and off) but it looks like upgrading glibc will fix
> the problem, as will setting the environment variable LD_ASSUME_KERNEL
> to something. The gory details are in Tk bug 1220692:
>
> http://sf.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=1220692&group_id=12997&atid=112997

To keep people abreast of what I'm doing with this... I get the
impression that perhaps it was Debian's libc maintainers dropping the
ball, because it seems to be a problem for which patches exist.

--
David N. Welton
- http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/

Apache, Linux, Tcl Consulting
- http://www.dedasys.com/
0
davidw (997)

bind <Shift-something> does not work under XF 4.3 tcl 8.3.5, ActiveState 8.4.3
I have tried the following script, under XFree86-4.3.0-2 both with RedHat 8 and 9, either with the native RH tcl 8.3.5 and with the ActiveState tcl 8.4.3 distributions. In all these platform combinations, the binding of <Shift-* does not work. For example, for Shift-F1, I get XF86_Switch_VT_1 (see xmodmap dump below), but the binded script is not triggered. However, the script works fine under Windows, with the same tcl distributions. Any hint? pack [entry .a] bind .a <Shift_L> {puts "hello, Shift"} bind .a <Shift-F1> {puts "hello, Shift-F1"} bind .a <...

Bug789040 came back in Tcl 8.4.6 and Tcl 8.5.
Dear All, Bug 789040 caused exec error in Windows 9x and was fixed in 10/04/03. But it came back in Tcl 8.4.6 and Tcl 8.5. Tcl Windows 9x users should be alerted to the possible failure of exec in the current Tcl 8.4.6 and 8.5 releases due to this bug. Chengye Mao http://www.geocities.com/~chengye Chengye Mao wrote: > Bug 789040 caused exec error in Windows 9x and was fixed in 10/04/03. > But it came back in Tcl 8.4.6 and Tcl 8.5. Tcl Windows 9x users > should be alerted to the possible failure of exec in the current Tcl > 8.4.6 and 8.5 releases due to this bug. Have you identified at what point it was reintroduced? Was the fix causing other issues and reverted, or simply reintroduced by accident? -- Jeff Hobbs, The Tcl Guy http://www.ActiveState.com/, a division of Sophos Jeff Hobbs <jeffh@activestate.com> wrote in message news:<409EEDB5.40905@activestate.com>... > Chengye Mao wrote: > > Bug 789040 caused exec error in Windows 9x and was fixed in 10/04/03. > > But it came back in Tcl 8.4.6 and Tcl 8.5. Tcl Windows 9x users > > should be alerted to the possible failure of exec in the current Tcl > > 8.4.6 and 8.5 releases due to this bug. > > Have you identified at what point it was reintroduced? Was the > fix causing other issues and reverted, or simply reintroduced by > accident? Reintroduced in rev. 1.41 of tclWinPipe.c in Feb, 2004. The bug was a missing space between tclpip.dll and...

"::tcl::tm::UnknownHandler ::tclPkgUnknown msgcat 1.4" caused by replacing Tcl 8.4.1 with 8.5.7
In the blog http://planet.larrythecow.org/archives/2009-07-26.html "The Twouble with Tcl" Iain Buchanan shows that redefining OPEN proc leads to the errors similar to what I am getting - when I replaced Tcl 8.4.1 with Tcl 8.5.7. In my case I don't know the exact root cause though ... Any ideas how I should proceed with debugging this issue ? Thanks, Alex tclsh c:/Tornado/host/resource/hutils/tcl/makeSymTbl.tcl ppc tmp.o symTbl.c invalid command name "::tcl::tm::UnknownHandler" while executing "::tcl::tm::UnknownHandler ::tclPkgUnknown msg...

problem about tcl 8.3 and 8.4
I need use a tcl8.3 program and it do not update now. I install it on Fedora5 which only has tcl8.4. Due to the const problem, I add the "#define USE_NON_CONST" before the inlude clause as the suggestion from "http://wiki.tcl.tk/3669". After that, this program can be complied. But when I want to run this program, there is an error :"Tcl_AppInit failed: window name "" already exists in parent". Could anyone kindly tell me whether this error is caused by the version problem or not? However other people install it on RedHat9 without such a problem (RedHat9 has tcl8.3). If this error is not caused by the version problem, is there any other cause? Any help is welcome. Thanks. binyorku@gmail.com wrote: > I need use a tcl8.3 program and it do not update now. I install it on > Fedora5 which only has tcl8.4. Due to the const problem, I add the > "#define USE_NON_CONST" before the inlude clause as the suggestion from > "http://wiki.tcl.tk/3669". After that, this program can be complied. > But when I want to run this program, there is an error :"Tcl_AppInit > failed: window name "" already exists in parent". > Could anyone kindly tell me whether this error is caused by the version > problem or not? However other people install it on RedHat9 without such > a problem (RedHat9 has tcl8.3). If this error is not caused by the > version problem, is there any other cause? Any help i...

tcl 8.4.4 change in behavior with WriteChars over 8.3.x
Can I get some input on the following problem: Tcl_WriteChars() no longer returns the correct number of bytes written to an output stream on Unix (I am running on a Sun Ultra30 with Solaris9, but it looks like the issue is generic to Unix. My brief Inspection of the tcl code shows that the actual return value is never checked for this routine, however, except for being non-negative. However, I am using tcl as an embedded shell in a C++ program which directs its output stream through a Tcl_Channel and uses Tcl_WriteChars as a replacement for the unix write() call, which returns the numbe...

Binary reader speed comparison
I have a fairly simple binary reader proc that exhibits massive speed differences between Tcl 8.5.8 and Tcl8.6b1.1. Here's the proc: proc readFormatted {filename} { set fd [ open $filename r ] fconfigure $fd -encoding binary -translation binary binary scan [ read $fd 2 ] cc type nextlen if {$type != 75} { return -error "File is not in the expected format" } while {![append buffer [read $fd $nextlen] ; eof $fd]} { binary scan [read $fd 2] cc lastlen nextlen # convert to unsigned value set nextlen ...

Will Ruby 1.8.2 include tcl/tk 8.4.x instead of 8.3?
Will Ruby 1.8.2 release come with tcl/tk 8.4.7 libraries? Thanks. Hi, From: "H. Simpson" <nospam@asdlkfjhasldkjfsadlfhskadjfahsldfks.com> Subject: Will Ruby 1.8.2 include tcl/tk 8.4.x instead of 8.3? Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 17:01:40 +0900 Message-ID: <HwmPc.1858$Z56.480@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com> > Will Ruby 1.8.2 release come with tcl/tk 8.4.7 libraries? Is that a binary package of Ruby 1.8.2 ? If you say about source files, Ruby/Tk can work with Tcl/Tk8.4.7. I already tested that Ruby/Tk works with Tcl/Tk8.4.7 and 8.5a1 (and ActiveTcl-8.4.6.1 binary package). U...

Incr Tcl /Tk for Tcl 8.4

Tcl 8.4.x & tcl-dp 4.0.x
Has anyone built tcl-dp 4.0.x on windows against Tcl 8.4.x ? Is it possible to get the windows dll and the source code with modifications? ...

Tcl/Tk 8.6.3, Itcl 4.0.2, sqlite 3.8.7 Release Candidates
Release candidate downloads of the 8.6.3 releases of Tcl and Tk, Itcl 4.0.2, and sqlite 3.8.7 may now be found at https://sourceforge.net/projects/tcl/files/Tcl/8.6.3/ The actual releases of these files should come on October 29. Until then, enjoy this advance preview, and if you find anything catastrophically wrong with them, please inform me so we can fix the problem before the true release. -- | Don Porter Applied and Computational Mathematics Division | | donald.porter@nist.gov Information Technology Laboratory | | http://math.nist.gov/~DPorter/...

Tcl SOAP
OK - Believe it or not, I have a "requirement" to use SOAP! The last time I worked with this, it did not work at all. So the following quesitons come to mind: Has it improved any - and it is working on Tcl 8.4.1 or later? Anyone using it for connecting to Web Services? Anyone using it to provide Web Services? I will immediately need to connect to a Web Service using SOAP (this is the "only" option), and then later provide Web Services via Apache (1.3 likely, but will migrate to 2.0x if necessary). Any guidance or suggestions would be most welcomed! Dave In article <e45f1db4.0405281105.8d1b86e@posting.google.com>, Dave Bigelow <davidhbigelow@simplifiedlogic.com> wrote: >OK - > >Believe it or not, I have a "requirement" to use SOAP! > >The last time I worked with this, it did not work at all. So the >following quesitons come to mind: > >Has it improved any - and it is working on Tcl 8.4.1 or later? >Anyone using it for connecting to Web Services? >Anyone using it to provide Web Services? > >I will immediately need to connect to a Web Service using SOAP (this >is the "only" option), and then later provide Web Services via Apache >(1.3 likely, but will migrate to 2.0x if necessary). > >Any guidance or suggestions would be most welcomed! > >Dave Short answer: yes. What does "immediately" mean to you? What platforms interest you? I'm working with t...

Q: speed open call Tcl 8.3 vs 8.4
Hello, why is the performence to open files over a network in Tcl 8.4 many more slowly than with Tcl 8.3 If I open many files over a Windows Network it is very slow. It is possible to activate the old open mechanism from Tcl 8.3? or exists another solution for this problem? Best regards, Falk Falk von R�tel <falk.von.roetel@web.de> wrote in message news:<8n93nw7cqugb.b9gidqjy0tim.dlg@40tude.net>... > Hello, > > why is the performence to open files over a network in Tcl 8.4 many more > slowly than with Tcl 8.3 > > If I open many files over a Windows Network it is very slow. > It is possible to activate the old open mechanism from Tcl 8.3? or > exists another solution for this problem? > > Best regards, > > Falk We had the same problem. Using ntfilemon.exe from sysinternals.com shows quite a lot of file access. (source file -> 1 access for every directory part !) It seems a result of calling "file normalize" in the C-Code of TCL. After commenting out those calls in "source" and "open" ntfilemon shows only some hundreds entries instead of some thousands !!! There were no problems since now after commenting out this calls. Don't know why they are in ... Am 24 Apr 2004 04:32:51 -0700 schrieb Uwe Traum: > of file access. (source file -> 1 access for every directory part !) > It seems a result of calling "file normalize" in the C-Code of TCL. do you mean the c...

difference between tcl 8.4.2 & 8.4.4
% exec $env(COMSPEC) /c net config This command now fails on Tcl 8.4.4 What can I do instead? to run with either version of tcl and windows 98. "couldn't execute "C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM": no such file or directory" Running on Win 98. Win XP is ok. Peter Campbell wrote: > % exec $env(COMSPEC) /c net config > > This command now fails on Tcl 8.4.4 > What can I do instead? to run with either version of tcl and windows 98. > > "couldn't execute "C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM": no such file or directory" > > Running on Win 98. > Win XP is ok. This is a known bug that is already fixed. 8.4.5 will be out by the end of the week with this corrected. -- Jeff Hobbs, The Tcl Guy http://www.ActiveState.com/, a division of Sophos Hi Peter, Peter Campbell <pc@acs.co.nz> writes: > % exec $env(COMSPEC) /c net config > > This command now fails on Tcl 8.4.4 > What can I do instead? to run with either version of tcl and windows 98. > > "couldn't execute "C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM": no such file or > directory" > > Running on Win 98. > Win XP is ok. This was discussed recently, check google. IIRC, this is a bug in 8.4.4, to be fixed in 8.4.5. benny ...

tcl 8.4.8 bugs?
Is this a bug in tcl8.4.8? tclsh % set test_string "</Config>" </Config> % if [ regexp "^</(.*)>" $test_string jerk cfg_line ] { puts $cfg_line } elseif [ regexp "^<(.*)>" $test_string jerk cfg_line ] { } /Config % if [ regexp "^</(.*)>" $test_string jerk cfg_line ] { puts $cfg_line } elseif [ regexp "^<(.*)>" $test_string jerk cfg_line2 ] { } Config % In article <5b2f12a6.0411301212.6811fd48@posting.google.com>, Xiaofeng Wu wrote: > Is this a bug in tcl8.4.8? No. > tclsh > % set test_string "</Config>" ></Config> > % if [ regexp "^</(.*)>" $test_string jerk cfg_line ] { > puts $cfg_line > } elseif [ regexp "^<(.*)>" $test_string jerk cfg_line ] { > } > /Config Notice that you have not braced the expressions in your [if] command. This means all of them will be evaluated. All substitutions are done before command evaluation. You probably wanted to code this instead: % set test_string "</Config>" </Config> % if {[ regexp "^</(.*)>" $test_string jerk cfg_line ]} { puts $cfg_line } elseif {[ regexp "^<(.*)>" $test_string jerk cfg_line ]} { } Config The difference is very basic to understanding the Tcl language. If you do not understand, take some time to review Tcl's substitution rules again. -- | Don Porter Mathematical and Compu...

tcl 8.4 to 8.5
Hi all, I've been using tcl 8.4.19 for ages, but just got moved to 8.5.11 at work, and now a lot of my scripts fail. For instance, I use: "package require aes" but this gets thrown out by 8.5 I need an idiots guide to upgrading, anyone help please? On 05/21/2013 01:25 PM, nivparsons wrote: > I've been using tcl 8.4.19 for ages, but just got > moved to 8.5.11 at work, and now a lot of my scripts fail. > > For instance, I use: > > "package require aes" > > but this gets thrown out by 8.5 Are your packages installed where both a Tcl 8.4 and a Tcl 8.5 installation can find them? As general advice, reporting verbatim error messages is often very helpful in getting more useful help. -- | Don Porter Applied and Computational Mathematics Division | | donald.porter@nist.gov Information Technology Laboratory | | http://math.nist.gov/~DPorter/ NIST | |______________________________________________________________________| On 05/21/2013 01:25 PM, nivparsons wrote: > I've been using tcl 8.4.19 for ages, but just got > moved to 8.5.11 at work, and now a lot of my scripts fail. Have you built/installed from source, or are you using binary distributions from some provider? What provider? -- | Don Porter Applied and Computational Mathematics Division | | donald.porter@nist.gov Information Technolog...

Compiling Tcl 8.4.8
Just finish compiling Tcl 8.4.8 in WinXP. It produced few more files that 8.2, like tcl84s.lib, tclsh84s.exe.. What are those letter after the version number mean?? In this case, the 's' after 84. I was not be able get any info by searhing google... Can anyone please point me to a place where we I can understand those letter means... I think it means "static". I suppose these libs can be used for embedding tcl into other applications, without depending on the tcl dlls. George "Ming" <chung.ming.chan@gmail.com> wrote in message news:83573a77.0412011235.46e835bd@posting.google.com... > Just finish compiling Tcl 8.4.8 in WinXP. > It produced few more files that 8.2, like tcl84s.lib, tclsh84s.exe.. > > What are those letter after the version number mean?? > In this case, the 's' after 84. > > I was not be able get any info by searhing google... > > Can anyone please point me to a place where we I can understand those > letter means... ...

Q: Problem to compile Tcl 8.4.3 Solrais 8 with 64 bit support
Hello, I have a problem to compile Tcl 8.4.3 . I have installed gcc and cc but I have read that gcc don't support 64bit. My problem is that I cannot run the "configure" script successfully for 64bit support. Because the script found the gcc I try to set the CC variable, but the "configure" script doesn't use the variable. Have someone an idea how can I solve the problem. Best regards Falk Falk von R�tel wrote: > I have a problem to compile Tcl 8.4.3 . > I have installed gcc and cc but I have read that gcc don't support 64bit. > My problem is ...

ANNOUNCE: Tcl/Tk 8.4.8 rpm specification with thread 2.5.2 extension
http://jfontain.free.fr/tcltk-8.4.8-1.spec Generated and tested on an up-to-date Red Hat Fedora Core 3 i386 system. The rpms can install under /opt/tcltk (see notes below) in order not to conflict and peacefully coexist with the stock Redhat Tcl and Tk rpms. To build the rpms, download the Tcl/Tk 8.4.8 and Thread 2.5.2 sources from http://download.sourceforge.net/tcl/ into the /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/ directory, place the specification file in the /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/ directory, then from that directory, type: # rpmbuild -bb --clean tcltk-8.4.8-1.spec Notes: - You may change the installation directory and turn on the thread extension at the beginning of the specification file. -- Jean-Luc Fontaine mailto:jfontain@free.fr http://jfontain.free.fr/ ...

ANNOUNCE: Tmac 1.0
I happily offer this refined macro tool giving Tcl programmers more options to handle complex, tedious, and error prone application coding/config problems. - Roy ANNOUNCE: Tmac 1.0 - a macro preprocessor in Tcl for Tcl (8 December 2003) I've added various enhancements and fixes and bumped the release to 1.0 as I expect it to be stable at this point. Changes since the original release (0.1 in May 2003) - Fixed: several defects in parameter parsing when various quotes styles were nested. - Added: -proc option defines a filter macro and its proc in one step - Added: -oneline option takes out newlines in block macros allowing cleaner coding when wanting a command spread over several lines (can leave out the backslashes) - Added: "passtrick" -parse option to let single char delimiters escape themselves - Improved: expr parameter wrapping - Improved: GUI viewer/devel tool now has a compact vertical mode and can load macro definition files for browsing. Much more convenient for devel/test of single macros. - Added: Several files of example macros for strings, control structures, and wiki markup. Includes do/while, enhanced switch, etc. - Updated: Tests and docs to cover new features. The new Release is posted here www.tclbuzz.com/v0/tmac Feedback invited, Roy Terry -------------------------------------------------------- From the original announcement: I've created this Tcl packag...

Tcl 8.4 vs 8.5
This is OK in 8.5: expect1.3> set a {1 2 3} 1 2 3 expect1.4> expr {[lindex $a 1] in {2 3 4}} 1 But not OK in 8.4: expect1.8> set a {1 2 3} 1 2 3 expect1.10> expr {[lindex $a 1] in {2 3 4}} syntax error in expression "[lindex $a 1] in {2 3 4}": extra tokens at end of expression while compiling "expr {[lindex $a 1] in {2 3 4}}" Is there a way to make the expression backward compatible in 8.4? /WT On Feb 5, 10:16=A0pm, Why Tea <ytl...@gmail.com> wrote: > This is OK in 8.5: > expect1.3> set a =A0{1 2 3} > 1 2 3 > expect1.4> expr {[lindex $a 1] in {2 3 4}} > 1 > > But not OK in 8.4: > expect1.8> set a {1 2 3} > 1 2 3 > expect1.10> expr {[lindex $a 1] in {2 3 4}} > syntax error in expression "[lindex $a 1] in {2 3 4}": extra tokens at en= d of expression > =A0 =A0 while compiling > "expr {[lindex $a 1] in {2 3 4}}" > > Is there a way to make the expression backward compatible in 8.4? Though the error message was not that clear (expr error reporting has improved since then), the truth is just that "in" was not there yet :D An equivalent working in older Tcls: expr {[lsearch -exact {2 3 4} [lindex $a 1]]>=3D0} -Alex On Monday, February 6, 2012 10:50:05 AM UTC+11, Alexandre Ferrieux wrote: > On Feb 5, 10:16=A0pm, Why Tea <ytl...@gmail.com> wrote: > > This is OK in 8.5: > > expect1.3> set a =A0{1 2 3} > > 1 2 3 >...

tcl 8.5/8.4 difference
Hi TCLers, I've found a strange behaviour in Tcl 8.5.7 and 8.5.5 (vs. 8.4.19) when working with Pgtcl (pgaccess.tcl). The effected code line is (after a successfull database select): pg_result $pgres -assign curr_tabs The variable $pgres contains the correct handle (e.g. "pgsql6.0"), but Tcl 8.5 crashes with the message: Tcl_SetIntObj called with shared object whereas Tcl 8.4 continues without any error. I know that it is hard to analyze this problem without code, examples, .... but maybe the error behaviour brings some 1st idea where to start the search. I will investigate the problem more deeply. Found on Linux 64/32. -- Gerhard Reithofer Tech-EDV Support Forum - http://support.tech-edv.co.at On Aug 18, 7:11=A0am, Gerhard Reithofer <gerhard.reitho...@tech- edv.co.at> wrote: > Hi TCLers, > I've found a strange behaviour in Tcl 8.5.7 and 8.5.5 (vs. 8.4.19) when > working with Pgtcl (pgaccess.tcl). > > The effected code line is (after a successfull database select): > =A0 pg_result $pgres -assign curr_tabs > > The variable $pgres contains the correct handle (e.g. "pgsql6.0"), but > Tcl 8.5 crashes with the message: > > =A0 Tcl_SetIntObj called with shared object > > whereas Tcl 8.4 continues without any error. > > I know that it is hard to analyze this problem without code, examples, > ... but maybe the error behaviour brings some 1st idea where to start > the search. Does ...

Precompiled Expect for AIX 4.3 (Tcl 8.4)
Can someone please tell me where I can get the binaries of Expect for AIX 4.3.3 (Tcl 8.4)? I have tried aixpdslib.seas.ucla.edu, but this version requires Tcl 8.3 not Tcl 8.4. I don't have C compiler on my system and I am not good at using make. Thank you in advance for your help. -JK JK wrote: > Can someone please tell me where I can get the binaries of Expect for AIX > 4.3.3 (Tcl 8.4)? I have tried aixpdslib.seas.ucla.edu, but this version > requires Tcl 8.3 not Tcl 8.4. http://www.bullfreeware.com/ is a good AIX free software site. The expect there isn't the l...

ActiveState Tcl 8.4.4.0 and Tile 0.7.8 under Vista crashes
I am using Tcl/Tk 8.4.4.0 (because I want to also use BLT 2.4 and my understanding is that BLT will not run under 8.5), along with Tile 0.7.8 Tile loads OK under the 'package requires' command, but the first time I run a tile command (for example, creating a button), Vista crashes. ttk::button .b1 -text "Test" Is there a solution to this? I have searched comp.lang.tcl, but see no reference to this problem. Thanks On 4/8/11 10:09 PM, thoselaings wrote: > I am using Tcl/Tk 8.4.4.0 (because I want to also use BLT 2.4 and my > understanding is that BLT will not run under 8.5), along with Tile > 0.7.8 > > Tile loads OK under the 'package requires' command, but the first time > I run a tile command (for example, creating a button), Vista crashes. > ttk::button .b1 -text "Test" > > Is there a solution to this? I have searched comp.lang.tcl, but see no > reference to this problem. Most of the commonly used (particularly on Windows) used pieces of BLT have been reimplemented outside of BLT -- you may want to re-evaluate your use of BLT so you can move on to 8.5 or later. BLT is not in the cards going forward. Exactly what pieces of BLT are you using? -- +------------------------------------------------------------------------+ | Gerald W. Lester, President, KNG Consulting LLC | | Email: Gerald.Lester@kng-consulting.net ...

ANNOUNCE: Tcl/Tk 8.4.8 Release
Tcl/Tk 8.4.8 Release Announcement November 22, 2004 The Tcl Core Team is pleased to announce the 8.4.8 releases of the Tcl scripting language and the Tk toolkit. This is the eighth patch release of Tcl/Tk 8.4. More details can be found below. We would like to express our gratitude to all those who submit bug reports and patches. This information is invaluable in enabling us to identify and eliminate problems in the core. Where to get the new releases: ------------------------------ Tcl/Tk 8.4.8 sources are freely available as open source from the Tcl Developer Xchange web site at: http://www.tcl.tk/software/tcltk/8.4.html This web page also contains additional information about the releases, including new features and notes about installing and compiling the releases. Sources are always available from the Tcl SourceForge project's file distribution area: http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=10894 Windows, Linux, Solaris and HP-UX binaries are available from: http://www.activestate.com/Tcl Mac OS X binaries are available from: http://tcltkaqua.sourceforge.net/ Additionally, SuSE Linux RPMs are available from: ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/projects/tcl/ For additional information: --------------------------- Please visit the Tcl Developer Xchange web site: http://www.tcl.tk/ This site contains a variety of information about Tcl/Tk in general, the core Tcl and Tk distributions, Tcl development tools, and much more. Thank y...

Web resources about - TCL is not thread safer in TCL 8.3 or 8.4... Any plans to fix this? - comp.lang.tcl

Threads - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Written by Barry Hines and directed by Mick Jackson , it is a docudrama account of nuclear war and its effects on the city of Sheffield in northern ...

Threads
Scripting News Blog Linkblog Top-40 Photos River Dave 5/27/12 by DW Should Google have posting API? Zipper merge 5/26/12 by DW Will Twitter ever ...

Threads
We *Really* Built It International news feeds Write a blog post Levity in Republican politics Remember where you were when...? Thurs on ...

Facebook Correcting Bug That Affected Third-Party Sites’ Like Counts, Comment Threads
... plugin , fear not: Your popularity is not plummeting. Facebook is in the process of fixing a bug that reset like counts and made comment threads ...

Threads of Mystery, Amazon Sweepstakes, My Local Walmart, Fab and more on this week’s emerging Facebook ...
Playdom’s Threads of Mystery led our list of emerging Facebook applications by monthly active users this week with 31 percent gain. We define ...

Search Twitter - threads
... here Search Refresh Sarah Harding @ SarahAddicts 31s Make sure you've downloaded @SarahNHarding debut single and EP guys apple.co/1ht2a8xThreads ...

135% As you may know, there's been a major redesign of the Scripting News home page . But, you may not be able to see that this is part of a ...

I just released a tool called Microliner that lets you outline your conversations on Twitter. I don't think anyone has ever had a tool like ...

... a nice picture! Can you see it? And a little bold and italic text. Does it look bold and italic? If you want to help out, come to the threads ...

We all saw the spectacle play out in the summer of 2011. The Republicans in Congress were playing an incredibly dangerous game of Chicken with ...