Man page: http://tcl-mmap.sourceforge.net/
Author: Alexandros Stergiakis
0
alsterg (13)

On Sep 3, 11:48=A0am, Alexandros Stergiakis <alst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This is an announcement for a relatively new Tcl project: tcl-mmap
>
> Tcl-mmap is a Tcl interface to the POSIX mmap* system call. It provides
> a Tcl package that allows Tcl scripts to: 1) Memory map files for
> improved access efficiency; 2) Share memory between related processes;
> 3) Easily implement cyclic persistent log files.
>
> * See the mmap(2) man page.

Great to see this and the other packages you made.

Looking at the manpage it looks a bit misformatted before the usage
example.

Any specific reason to use GPL for this instead the usual Tcl/MIT/BSD
style license used?

Michael
0
schlenk (1615)
9/3/2008 10:01:26 AM
schlenk wrote:
> On Sep 3, 11:48 am, Alexandros Stergiakis <alst...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> This is an announcement for a relatively new Tcl project: tcl-mmap
>>
>> Tcl-mmap is a Tcl interface to the POSIX mmap* system call. It provides
>> a Tcl package that allows Tcl scripts to: 1) Memory map files for
>> improved access efficiency; 2) Share memory between related processes;
>> 3) Easily implement cyclic persistent log files.
>>
>> * See the mmap(2) man page.
>>
> Great to see this and the other packages you made.
>
> Looking at the manpage it looks a bit misformatted before the usage
> example.
>
> Any specific reason to use GPL for this instead the usual Tcl/MIT/BSD
> style license used?
>
> Michael
Yes the documentation needs some improvement, but I hope it is readable
enough as it is now. Contributions are welcome.

All the FOSS software I'm writing is always released under GPL for
personal ideological reasons.

alsterg
0
alsterg (13)
9/3/2008 3:04:56 PM
Hi Alexandros,

On Sep 3, 11:48=A0am, Alexandros Stergiakis <alst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This is an announcement for a relatively new Tcl project: tcl-mmap

Congrats !

The idea of a channel interface is very nice, especially on the write
side where the immutability of Tcl values makes it rather tricky to
modify something that's reflected in (possibly shared) values.
The reason I'm saying that is that I was considering the
implementation of something similar, but as a variant of the ByteArray
value type. For the read side, the idea works quite well, allowing
[string range] to access the mapped area randomly. But for the write
side, I was a bit stuck in the mutability nightmare:

      set x [binary mmap $ch $off $len rw]
      set y $x ;# <-- hey now it's shared !
      binary poke x $off $somedata

the problem here being to choose between 2 evils: (a) allow for
mutability of (mmapped byte array) values, with the usual problems of
mutability (which can be milder than with other types since there's no
iterator on byte arrays today), and (b) arranhge for the code above to
"fork" the fates of x and y at some point (with a potentially huge
malloc and copy) or forbid the sharing altogether...

So your solution is in all respects superior: symmetry, reuse of
existing paradigms, etc.
Kudos !

-Alex

PS: one single thing that the channel style doesn't allow, and the
mmapped-byte-array permits nicely, is the "big string search": [string
first $needle $mmapped_haystack]. But I admit being at a loss finding
real-life uses of this (the main application of mmap being rather
large binary things with blocks reached by offset). I have no other
choice than admitting defeat :-}
Alexandre Ferrieux <alexandre.ferrieux@gmail.com> wrote:
> The idea of a channel interface is very nice, especially on the write
> side where the immutability of Tcl values makes it rather tricky to
> modify something that's reflected in (possibly shared) values.

I've once thought about proposing a "vector" to Tcl, which would
be mostly like an array (for the syntax to use it), but would be
confined to a defined range of integral indices offering real
constant time access (unlike hashmaps) and perhaps even less
memory overhead.

Next step could be to allow to impose restrictions on the values,
to the benefit of even more efficient storage, e.g. by leaving out
Tcl_Objects and storing just ints or bytes (but at the cost of
no longer supporting traces on single elements).  Of course this
doesn't break EIAS, because every command has the right to refuse
arguments that cannot be converted into some particular domain.
And no new structure is *required* to support traces.

So far, it was just one of my "ideas without use",  but it looks
like an "mmap"-feature could benefit from such a structure, and it
would not even get near the problem of mutable values, since it
wouldn't be a "value" in the Tcl-sense.

> So your solution is in all respects superior: symmetry, reuse of
> existing paradigms, etc.

I wouldn't be surprised, if a vector could also behave like
a stream for reading (it's just a disguised iteration*, after
all)  and also behave like a writing stream filling the vector
with data.

Just brainstorming...

*: with iteration I mean: startsearch, anymore, nextelement, donesearch
0
avl1 (2748)
9/3/2008 6:42:06 PM
On Sep 3, 2:42=A0pm, Andreas Leitgeb <a...@gamma.logic.tuwien.ac.at>
wrote:
[snip]
> I've once thought about proposing a "vector" to Tcl, which would
> be mostly like an array (for the syntax to use it), but would be
> confined to a defined range of integral indices offering real
> constant time access (unlike hashmaps) and perhaps even less
> memory overhead.
>
> Next step could be to allow to impose restrictions on the values,
> to the benefit of even more efficient storage, e.g. by leaving out
> Tcl_Objects and storing just ints or bytes (but at the cost of
> no longer supporting traces on single elements). =A0Of course this
> doesn't break EIAS, because every command has the right to refuse
> arguments that cannot be converted into some particular domain.
> And no new structure is *required* to support traces.
> [snip]

Tangential ... but with respect to cpu/memory efficiency exists Karl
Lehenbauer's very cool Speed Tables:
http://www.tcl.tk/community/tcl2007/proceedings/databases/speedtables-paper=
-2.pdf

Alexandros Stergiakis wrote:
> This is an announcement for a relatively new Tcl project: tcl-mmap

Hey! you've been busy to no end. Thanks.

Had a look at dbus too ;-?

uwe

Uwe Klein wrote:
> Had a look at dbus too ;-?

Are you aware there's dbus-tcl? http://dbus-tcl.sourceforge.net/

Schelte.
--
set Reply-To [string map {nospam schelte} $header(From)]
0
Schelte Bron wrote:
> Uwe Klein wrote:
>
>>Had a look at dbus too ;-?
>>

> Are you aware there's dbus-tcl? http://dbus-tcl.sourceforge.net/
>
> Schelte.
err. NO.. Not until now, thanks.

uwe
Schelte Bron wrote:
> Uwe Klein wrote:
>
>>Had a look at dbus too ;-?
>>

> Are you aware there's dbus-tcl? http://dbus-tcl.sourceforge.net/
>
> Schelte.
this requires tcl 8.5* ?

uwe
Uwe Klein wrote:
> this requires tcl 8.5* ?

Yes. I've used dict API functions and one or two others that I later
found out to be new in 8.5 as well. At the moment it would still not
be too hard to change back to list functions and there are probably
ways to do the other things with 8.4 functions as well.

But doing that would probably set the expectation that the project
will strive to work with 8.4 for a long time to come. Since 8.5 is
the current Tcl release, I don't feel like restricting the project
like that. I'm currently thinking about changing the dbus command
into an ensemble command, which would not be possible if it needs to
stay compatible with 8.4.

Schelte.
--
set Reply-To [string map {nospam schelte} $header(From)]
0
nospam6520 (256)
9/6/2008 11:55:42 AM
Schelte Bron wrote:
> Uwe Klein wrote:
>
>>this requires tcl 8.5* ?
>>

> Yes. I've used dict API functions and one or two others that I later
> found out to be new in 8.5 as well. At the moment it would still not
> be too hard to change back to list functions and there are probably
> ways to do the other things with 8.4 functions as well.
>
> But doing that would probably set the expectation that the project
> will strive to work with 8.4 for a long time to come. Since 8.5 is
> the current Tcl release, I don't feel like restricting the project
> like that. I'm currently thinking about changing the dbus command
> into an ensemble command, which would not be possible if it needs to
> stay compatible with 8.4.
I am still stuck with 8.4 on all machines.
Now my primary object of dbus use is the openmoko freerunner which
has working tcl/tk8.4.11.  But thats _my_ problem.

going to test on my Laptop first.

uwe
Schelte Bron wrote:
> Uwe Klein wrote:
>
>>this requires tcl 8.5* ?
>>

> Yes. I've used dict API functions and one or two others that I later
> found out to be new in 8.5 as well. At the moment it would still not
> be too hard to change back to list functions and there are probably
> ways to do the other things with 8.4 functions as well.
>
> But doing that would probably set the expectation that the project
> will strive to work with 8.4 for a long time to come. Since 8.5 is
> the current Tcl release, I don't feel like restricting the project
> like that. I'm currently thinking about changing the dbus command
> into an ensemble command, which would not be possible if it needs to
> stay compatible with 8.4.
>
> Schelte.
Hi,

tried to build tcldbus:
i have dbus-1-devel-1.0.2-59.4 installed.
and a current active tcl 8.5
making docs breaks on some docbook error:
	dtplite -o doc/dbus-tcl.html html doc/dbus-tcl.man
	/usr/bin/dtplite: Doctools Error in macro at line 36, column 0:
	[para]
	--> (FmtError) Manpage error (nolistcmd), "para" : \
		unknown error code "nolistcmd" (for locale posix).
this doesnt bother me much.

but:
requiring package dbus breaks on unresolved symbol.

ldd -d -r /opt/ActiveTcl-8.5/lib/dbus0.5/libdbus0.5.so
undefined symbol: Tcl_DictObjPut    (/opt/ActiveTcl-8.5/lib/dbus0.5/libdbus0.5.so)
undefined symbol: Tcl_ObjPrintf (/opt/ActiveTcl-8.5/lib/dbus0.5/libdbus0.5.so)
!!! undefined symbol: dbus_get_version  (/opt/ActiveTcl-8.5/lib/dbus0.5/libdbus0.5.so)
!!! undefined symbol: dbus_connection_get_server_id (/opt/ActiveTcl-8.5/lib/dbus0.5/libdbus0.5.so)
undefined symbol: Tcl_NewDictObj    (/opt/ActiveTcl-8.5/lib/dbus0.5/libdbus0.5.so)
         linux-gate.so.1 =>  (0xffffe000)
         libdbus-1.so.3 => /lib/libdbus-1.so.3 (0xb7f08000)
         libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0xb7dd5000)
         /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x80000000)

should I have a newer version of dbus?

uwe
Uwe Klein wrote:
> tried to build tcldbus:
> i have dbus-1-devel-1.0.2-59.4 installed.
   [snip]
> should I have a newer version of dbus?

Possibly. I'm using dbus-1-devel-1.2.1-15.1

Schelte.
--
set Reply-To [string map {nospam schelte} $header(From)]
0
nospam6520 (256)
9/14/2008 7:33:10 PM
Schelte Bron wrote:
> Uwe Klein wrote:
>
>>tried to build tcldbus:
>>i have dbus-1-devel-1.0.2-59.4 installed.
>
>    [snip]
>
>>should I have a newer version of dbus?
>>

> Possibly. I'm using dbus-1-devel-1.2.1-15.1
>
> Schelte.
I've fixed the code to not use those functions.
hardcoded the version request ...

I have a bit of a problem finding a good start.
Is there by any chance a (simple) example script?

( I currently have the impression that dbus ( the framework )
is exessively complex ( and opaq?) but does not
completely solve its problems )

uwe
Uwe Klein wrote:
> I have a bit of a problem finding a good start.
> Is there by any chance a (simple) example script?

Here's a small client server example:

# server code:
package require dbus

dbus connect
dbus name foo.tcl.tk
dbus register -fallback / handler

proc handler {dict args} {
        if {[dict get $dict messagetype] eq "method_call"} {
                return [[dict get $dict member] {*}$args]
        }
}

vwait forever

# client code:
package require dbus

dbus connect

puts [dbus call -dest foo.tcl.tk / foo.tcl.tk pwd]
puts [dbus call -dest foo.tcl.tk / foo.tcl.tk info patchlevel]
dbus call -timeout -1 -dest foo.tcl.tk / foo.tcl.tk exit

> ( I currently have the impression that dbus ( the framework )
> is exessively complex ( and opaq?) but does not
> completely solve its problems )

I welcome any suggestions you may have to improve the interface.

Schelte.
--
set Reply-To [string map {nospam schelte} $header(From)]
0
nospam6520 (256)
9/15/2008 7:50:06 PM
Schelte Bron wrote:
> Uwe Klein wrote:
>
>>I have a bit of a problem finding a good start.
>>Is there by any chance a (simple) example script?
>>

> Here's a small client server example:

Thank you very much.

>>( I currently have the impression that dbus ( the framework )
>>is exessively complex ( and opaq?) but does not
>>completely solve its problems )
>>

> I welcome any suggestions you may have to improve the interface.

I've got to get a bit more behind the thinking in dbus.

( the openmoko phones use dbus for system management.)

> Schelte.

uwe

tcl application with tcl application

How to compile tcl or encrypt tcl
I use TclPro1.5 to compile my tcl script with tixwish in the Solaris before. But I cannot use the same method in Linux. Why? Is there any utility for me to compile or encrypt the code by using tixwish? The following is the simple code if I use the tixwish: #!/home/albertl/local/bin/tixwish puts "haha" And after using procomp by the TclPro1.5 Error in startup script: The TclPro ByteCode Loader is not available or does not support the correct version while executing "error "The TclPro ByteCode Loader is not available or does not support the correct version"" invoked from within "if {[catch {package require tbcload 1.3} err] == 1} { error "The TclPro ByteCode Loader is not available or does not support the correct version" ...." (file "a.tbc" line 4) The problem seems that tbcload1.3 cannot be found? But tbcload is already there "/home/albertl/local/lib/tbcload1.3" Why? Can anyone tell me? stratus schrieb: > I use TclPro1.5 to compile my tcl script with tixwish in the Solaris before. > But I cannot use the same method in Linux. Why? > > Is there any utility for me to compile or encrypt the code by using tixwish? > Tixwish is just a wish shell with the Tix package baked in. If TclPro does not have a specific bigwish with Tix included your out of luck on that road (but could build your own if you liked). You might have success with freewrap or TDK, don't know for su...

Hello It's Friday and... well... Two things about Tcl going through my mind this week, a nice anecdote and a eyebrow-rising thing on Wikipedia: Anecdote: Until three months ago I worked in a scientific institue where I wrote much software in Tcl, especially a big Build and Report System, some tools for automatic checking of coding style and other things. Tcl had a bad reputation there (not because of me... they dropped Tcl before I started there in favour of Joy, then JavaScript and now Python) and besides me, there was only one co-worker who appearantly writes some small Tcl-Scripts to support other researchers in their work. To get completely rid of Tcl, they even started to reimplement all things, I wrote in Tcl in Python just to have it in a language, that most of them know (which is a good decision on the one hand, but on the other hand, I think, it would be better to simply learn Tcl ;-), which made me a little bit sad. Now there is a new collegue who has to maintain some of the things I wrote. Comming from Perl he wasn't exactly enthusiastic when he heard, that he must maintain my old code in such an obscure language.. Two weeks ago, I got mail from him. He's just studying a complex system of scripts that are used for a sandboxed build system for source code which comes from external untrusted source and must be compiled and tested. Of course it's written in Tcl (and some bash-Scripting). He told me, that although he has never looked at Tcl before,...

Tcl
Hello all. I found on hobbes the afaik latest Tcl for Os/2 v8.35 Is there any newer port, cause i try to update the eggdrop and that says: Your Tcl version is much too old for Eggdrop to use. You should download and compile a more recent version. The most reliable current version is 8.5.X and can be downloaded from ftp://tcl.activestate.com/pub/tcl/tcl8_5/. -- With the best regards from the Netherlands, Tu, "Tellerbop" <Tellerbop@wint.nl>, hai scritto questo in data Wed, 14 Jan 2009 19:11:18 UTC: > Hello all. > > I found on hobbes the afaik latest Tcl for Os/2...

Tcl
Hello, where can I see for tcl syntacs and how-to run a tcl test? Thank You Vittore ___________________________________ Yahoo! Mail: gratis 1GB per i messaggi e allegati da 10MB http://mail.yahoo.it ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Posted to the ptolemy-hackers mailing list. Please send administrative mail for this list to: ptolemy-hackers-request@ptolemy.eecs.berkeley.edu ...

TCL
Hello, i would like to build TCL/TK as a separate DLL-Library. Can anyone tell me how this can be done with VC 6.0? Best regards, Reinhold "Reinhold.kwauka" <bernd-reinhold.kwauka@t-online.de> wrote: >Hello, > >i would like to build TCL/TK as a separate DLL-Library. Can anyone tell me >how this can be done >with VC 6.0? > >Best regards, >Reinhold > 1) get the source from http://tcl.sourceforge.net/ 2) open a command prompt 3) cd to the win/ subdirectory 4) call vcvars32.bat located in ??\vc98\bin\ of vc6 for wherever you installed it. 5) type @ the prompt: nmake -f makefile.vc -- David Gravereaux <davygrvy@pobox.com> [species: human; planet: earth,milkyway(western spiral arm),alpha sector] Reinhold.kwauka wrote: > Hello, > > i would like to build TCL/TK as a separate DLL-Library. Can anyone tell me > how this can be done > with VC 6.0? > > Best regards, > Reinhold > > Its already done. Just download a binary release for windows and check \Program Files\Tcl\lib for the DLLs and static libraries. ...

Tcl 8.5 & Vim's Tcl interface
[Pardon the leading period, but I'm hoping the indenting is preserved to make reading easier] .. I wanted Vim on windows (x64) that was compiled with Vim's .. Tcl interface. All went fairly well, I was able to build .. Vim using window's SDK command line compiler for x64, and I .. linked against ActiveState's Tcl 8.5.11.0 for x64 using .. tclstub85.lib to allow dynamic loading of the Tcl DLL. .. .. [As an aside, I'm hoping to convince Vim's maintainer to .. build the release version of Vim containing support for all .. the language interfaces since only an error message would .. occur if the respective DLL was not found. It appears that .. the Vim maintainer last checked building against 8.4] .. .. The Tcl interface works for a simple ":tcl puts Hello" but .. when I tried anything more I get the error: .. .. wrong # args: should be "catch command ?varName?" .. .. This is because Vim creates a replacement "catch" command .. (I've attached the relevant code below. As the comments .. state, Vim needs to prevent exit() being called by Tcl. Tcl .. 8.5 has introduced a new "catch" command that takes an .. additional argument, and somewhere -- either the Tcl .. library or tcl85.dll -- uses catch with four arguments. I .. don't have 8.5's source but I see that auto.tcl, clock.tcl, .. init.tcl, (I stopped looking) all use the four-argument catch. .. .. So here's my question: what's the best way this...

How Tcl source finds init.tcl???
Hi, I have one question about how Tcl finds init.tcl. What environment variable does Tcl source use to get the search path for init.tcl? Is there any way to specifically use init.tcl from a certain path? Thanks a lot in advance! Lihong lihong pei wrote: > I have one question about how Tcl finds init.tcl. > What environment variable does Tcl source use to get the search path for > init.tcl? If the environment variable TCL_LIBRARY exists, it's value is assumed to be a single directory which is added to the search path for init.tcl. Note that this is offered mostly as a way for...

[TCL] diff type operations in TCL
I didn't see anything in tcllib and thus far haven't turned up anything that looks like it will work. I would like to know if there is a TCL package, or already written procedure, that will do a simple diff of two files and tell me if they're the same or if they have differences. Is there anything like this? --------------------------------------------- Andrew R. Falanga (a non-HP employee) Hewlett-Packard Company 11311 Chinden Blvd. Boise, Idaho --------------------------------------------- Please note: The e-mail address is purposely mangled. I do not wish my account at HP to...

MS Dictation and TCL
I'm trying to use the MS dictation tool while in TCL 8.5 program. The text starts to appear, but then the program crashes. It would be great to find a way to make this work. Thanks! Barney Tcl 8.5 (wish 8.5) makeindex (12/14/2007) MSWinXP sp3 plenty of ram and storage ...

Tcl extension: check Tcl version?
Is there a recommended way to check if a (binary) Tcl extension is loaded to the same Tcl version that was used for linking the extension? Currently I'm encountering a problem with an extension that I have built (and linked) with libtk8.3.so and that can be loaded under wish8.5 as well (without re-bulding, using package require). A number of newly provided commands work well in spite of the version mixture, but others don't, and wish8.5 crashes when these commands are used. Is this behavior normal, i.e. should I check that compile-time version and run-time version are identical? Or does this indicate some subtle coding problem? Thanks for any suggestions Olaf Olaf Dietrich wrote: > Is there a recommended way to check if a (binary) Tcl extension > is loaded to the same Tcl version that was used for linking > the extension? > > Currently I'm encountering a problem with an extension that > I have built (and linked) with libtk8.3.so and that can be > loaded under wish8.5 as well (without re-bulding, using > package require). A number of newly provided commands work > well in spite of the version mixture, but others don't, and > wish8.5 crashes when these commands are used. > > Is this behavior normal, i.e. should I check that compile-time > version and run-time version are identical? Or does this > indicate some subtle coding problem? Not subtle. Major problem. DO NOT DO THAT. If you want to be loadable across mult...

Inline::Tcl vs. Inline::Tcl
The readme for CPAN's Inline::Tcl says this: > This module is not related to the Inline::Tcl module, but it might be > valuable to have some compatibility between the two. > This sentence seems to suggest that there is another module named Inline::Tcl somewhere. Is this true, and if so, where can I find it? Mumia W. wrote: > The readme for CPAN's Inline::Tcl says this: > > > This module is not related to the Inline::Tcl module, but it might be > > valuable to have some compatibility between the two. > > > > This sentence seems to suggest ...

Debugger for Tcl/Tk and [incr Tcl]

[TCL] multi-threaded tcl apps
Hi, Where can one find complete documentation on the ttrace package to the Thread package? I'd like to know what commands are available in ttrace and how to use them. --------------------------------------------- Andrew R. Falanga (a non-HP employee) Hewlett-Packard Company 11311 Chinden Blvd. Boise, Idaho --------------------------------------------- Please note: The e-mail address is purposely mangled. I do not wish my account at HP to become a spam haven. If you wish to e-mail me, the address consists of a dot between my first and last names (excluding my middle initial). The rest...

Tcl-fuse: A Tcl interface to the Linux kernel's FUSE subsystem.
This is an announcement for a relatively new Tcl project: tcl-fuse Tcl-fuse is a Tcl extension that exports the full functionality of the underlying FUSE (File-System in User-Space) Linux kernel feature, to the Tcl programming language. It enables: * Export of the Tcl VFS layer (and all the filesystems implemented in it) to external processes, via the FUSE subsystem. * Easy creation of FUSE filesystems, using Tcl. Dependencies: * Tcl 8.5 or greater. * The running kernel is compiled with FUSE support enabled. Tcl-fuse was developed as a GSoC2008 project, with Tcl as the mentoring organization. Platform: Linux/Unix Home page: http://sourceforge.net/projects/tcl-fuse/ Man page: http://tcl-fuse.sourceforge.net/ Author: Alexandros Stergiakis Alexandros Stergiakis wrote: > This is an announcement for a relatively new Tcl project: tcl-fuse > > Tcl-fuse is a Tcl extension that exports the full functionality of the > underlying FUSE (File-System in User-Space) Linux kernel feature, to the > Tcl programming language. > > It enables: > * Export of the Tcl VFS layer (and all the filesystems implemented in > it) to external processes, via the FUSE subsystem. > * Easy creation of FUSE filesystems, using Tcl. > > Dependencies: > * Tcl 8.5 or greater. > * The running kernel is compiled with FUSE support enabled. > > Tcl-fuse was developed as a GSoC2008 project, with Tcl as the mentoring > organization. > >...

Tcl-2004 Update: More food and Tcl jobs
Gerald just finished some negotiating with the hotel, and we've increased the meals at Tcl-2004. There will be free breakfast, lunch and breaks on all days, and free dinner on Wed and Thur. We'll have an open bar a couple of the conference nights also. Just the food is worth more than the registration fee! Add in the technical talks, panels, camaraderie and social networking, and this conference is a bargain you won't see again. At least two groups that are looking for Tcl/Tk developers will be present, so bring a resume if you're on the prowl. Online registration will cl...

Web resources about - tcl-mmap: A POSIX mmap interface for Tcl. (Tcl package) - comp.lang.tcl