Tcl only

I am curious about how many people just use Tcl for a systems language (instead of say, BASH) but don't use Tk.
0
sigzero (1319)

On Thursday, July 12, 2012 6:22:45 AM UTC-7, Robert wrote:
> I am curious about how many people just use Tcl for a systems language (i=
nstead of say, BASH) but don't use Tk.

For me, if the script is mainly concerned with invoking other programs and =
little else, then I'll grit my teeth and do it in bash because it handles s=
uch things well even if the syntax is vintage Algol. Otherwise, it is hard =
to get me to program in anything other than Tcl when the target is a conven=
tional computing environment.

Andrew Mangogna
0
amangogna1 (29)
7/12/2012 2:13:43 PM
On Thursday, July 12, 2012 9:22:45 AM UTC-4, Robert wrote:
> I am curious about how many people just use Tcl for a systems language (instead of say, BASH) but don't use Tk.

I use tcl, bash, perl, awk.
I hardly ever have GUI frontends.
0
bjlockie (30)
7/12/2012 3:40:19 PM
Στις 12/7/2012 16:22, ο/η Robert έγραψε:
> I am curious about how many people just use Tcl for a systems language (instead of say, BASH) but don't use Tk.

I use tcl in almost all my scripts. I rarely use bash, and only for
basic stuff (i.e. run a few tcl scripts in order).

George

0
petasisg (135)
7/12/2012 3:50:07 PM
On 7/12/12 8:22 AM, Robert wrote:
> I am curious about how many people just use Tcl for a systems language (instead of say, BASH) but don't use Tk.

While not exactly what you asked, I use Tcl to create Web Services -- that
does not involve any GUIs (at least directly).

Now when needing a GUI, it is Tcl/Tk (maybe with extensions).

| Gerald W. Lester, President, KNG Consulting LLC                        |
| Email: Gerald.Lester@kng-consulting.net                                |

Am 12.07.2012 15:22, schrieb Robert:
> I am curious about how many people just use Tcl for a systems language (instead of say, BASH) but don't use Tk.

You won't find out how many do this way, there won't be hundreds or thousands of 'me
too' (which I guess as a minimum). People use the (script?) language they know.

Tcl works very well for scripting of system management, without the 'bird track
syntax' of bash.

/Str.
At Thu, 12 Jul 2012 06:22:45 -0700 (PDT) Robert <sigzero@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am curious about how many people just use Tcl for a systems
> language (instead of say, BASH) but don't use Tk.

I use it all the time to write filters and various other sorts of things.

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933 / heller@deepsoft.com

heller (3031)
7/12/2012 5:25:25 PM
George Petasis wrote:
> Στις 12/7/2012 16:22, ο/η Robert έγραψε:
>
>> I am curious about how many people just use Tcl for a systems language
>> (instead of say, BASH) but don't use Tk.
>>

> I use tcl in almost all my scripts. I rarely use bash, and only for
> basic stuff (i.e. run a few tcl scripts in order).
>
> George

I tend to use "make" for a lot of repetitive stuff where a nonlinear
toolchain is involved.
Then bash, mostly for linear stuff.
the tcl scripts or even some c compiled code
usually doing things in a "unixy" way, KISS.

uwe
0
uwe6118 (423)
7/12/2012 6:53:48 PM
I now use Tcl to write any program that isn't easier to write in C.

As for Tk, I really only use that in the classroom to display a Tcl program=
's operation or output.  Unless I'm drawing a picture for someone else, I r=
arely need the ability to graphically display anything---although it is hel=
pful when cycling through a sequence of microscope images.

--S
I, also (at everywhere --Microsft,Apple,Linux--)
using Tcl to do commands,browse files and to write documents.

As for Tk, I have made an personal text-editor:

http://members.jcom.home.ne.jp/tcltk-d/
or
http://tcltkd.hotcom-web.com/

On Thursday, July 12, 2012 11:51:54 AM UTC-4, Gerald W. Lester wrote:
> On 7/12/12 8:22 AM, Robert wrote:
> &gt; I am curious about how many people just use Tcl for a systems language (instead of say, BASH) but don&#39;t use Tk.
>
> While not exactly what you asked, I use Tcl to create Web Services -- that
> does not involve any GUIs (at least directly).

I follow that!

For others:  http://core.tcl.tk/tclws/home

Robert
0
sigzero (1319)
7/13/2012 4:34:42 PM
Den torsdagen den 12:e juli 2012 kl. 15:22:45 UTC+2 skrev Robert:
> I am curious about how many people just use Tcl for a systems language (i=
nstead of say, BASH) but don&#39;t use Tk.

We use Tcl at work to autogenerate Ada source code and sql ddl scripts from=
 xml based descriptions.
A Tcl script  also serves as frontend to invoke gcc with correct switches a=
nd envvars,
defined in a flat file, to compile/link a somewhat largish system.

Also, a whole lot of minor Tcl scripts are used as testtools, to drive othe=
r cli applications.

We run ON windows,AIX and Linux, and Tcl makes life fairly easy.
The rest of the system is Ada. (That is what we autogenerate from the xmls)

We use no Tk a all.
/Bj=F6rn

0
b.f.lundin (77)
7/23/2012 3:15:53 PM
On Mon, 23 Jul 2012, bj=F6rn lundin wrote:

> Den torsdagen den 12:e juli 2012 kl. 15:22:45 UTC+2 skrev Robert:
> > I am curious about how many people just use Tcl for a systems language =
(instead of say, BASH) but don&#39;t use Tk.
>=20
> We use Tcl at work to autogenerate Ada source code and sql ddl scripts fr=
om xml based descriptions.
> A Tcl script  also serves as frontend to invoke gcc with correct switches=
 and envvars,
> defined in a flat file, to compile/link a somewhat largish system.
>=20
> Also, a whole lot of minor Tcl scripts are used as testtools, to drive ot=
her cli applications.
>=20
> We run ON windows,AIX and Linux, and Tcl makes life fairly easy.
> The rest of the system is Ada. (That is what we autogenerate from the xml=
s)
>=20
> We use no Tk a all.

It's our main integration language between Unix/Linux and Windows.=20
Used for unique command configuration on different platforms, many unix=20
tools (grep, du, tail, ...) have been ported (often only minimal=20
functionality) to have a similar environment or tools and higher level=20
commands, like "find . -mtime +7 -rm {} \;" as one tcl script,=20
multi-file and/or recursive file rename/move/delete - things which are=20
totally absent on Windows but could be easily written in shell scripts=20
on Unix.

Used as "real" Tool Command Language by combining different commands=20
with data transformations between commands (e.g. text output of one=20
command is transposed to defined CVS which is processed by next=20
command, etc.).=20

Creation of platform independent tools like RemoteExecute with client=20
auth (sha512) and encrypted transfer (blowfish) to execute Unix commands=20
on Windows and/or Windows commands on Unix or only on one platform,=20
many, many filter commands to extract specific data from command output,=20
automated file transfer (ftp), etc.

But also much Tk: many graphical user support Tools to avoid missinput,=20
graphical frontends to different commands, file manager GUI which allows=20
file management of unix files on Windows (client/server), Database GUIs,=20
etc.

--=20
 Gerhard Reithofer
 Tech-EDV Support Forum - http://support.tech-edv.co.at

This is an announcement for a relatively new Tcl project: tcl-mmap Tcl-mmap is a Tcl interface to the POSIX mmap* system call. It provides a Tcl package that allows Tcl scripts to: 1) Memory map files for improved access efficiency; 2) Share memory between related processes; 3) Easily implement cyclic persistent log files. * See the mmap(2) man page. Platform: Linux/Unix Home page: http://sourceforge.net/projects/tcl-mmap/ Man page: http://tcl-mmap.sourceforge.net/ Author: Alexandros Stergiakis On Sep 3, 11:48=A0am, Alexandros Stergiakis <alst...@gmail.com> wrote: > This is an ...

How to compile tcl or encrypt tcl
I use TclPro1.5 to compile my tcl script with tixwish in the Solaris before. But I cannot use the same method in Linux. Why? Is there any utility for me to compile or encrypt the code by using tixwish? The following is the simple code if I use the tixwish: #!/home/albertl/local/bin/tixwish puts "haha" And after using procomp by the TclPro1.5 Error in startup script: The TclPro ByteCode Loader is not available or does not support the correct version while executing "error "The TclPro ByteCode Loader is not available or does not support the correct version""...

tcl application with tcl application

Hello It's Friday and... well... Two things about Tcl going through my mind this week, a nice anecdote and a eyebrow-rising thing on Wikipedia: Anecdote: Until three months ago I worked in a scientific institue where I wrote much software in Tcl, especially a big Build and Report System, some tools for automatic checking of coding style and other things. Tcl had a bad reputation there (not because of me... they dropped Tcl before I started there in favour of Joy, then JavaScript and now Python) and besides me, there was only one co-worker who appearantly writes some small Tcl-Scripts to...

Tcl
Hello all. I found on hobbes the afaik latest Tcl for Os/2 v8.35 Is there any newer port, cause i try to update the eggdrop and that says: Your Tcl version is much too old for Eggdrop to use. You should download and compile a more recent version. The most reliable current version is 8.5.X and can be downloaded from ftp://tcl.activestate.com/pub/tcl/tcl8_5/. -- With the best regards from the Netherlands, Tu, "Tellerbop" <Tellerbop@wint.nl>, hai scritto questo in data Wed, 14 Jan 2009 19:11:18 UTC: > Hello all. > > I found on hobbes the afaik latest Tcl for Os/2...

TCL
Hello, i would like to build TCL/TK as a separate DLL-Library. Can anyone tell me how this can be done with VC 6.0? Best regards, Reinhold "Reinhold.kwauka" <bernd-reinhold.kwauka@t-online.de> wrote: >Hello, > >i would like to build TCL/TK as a separate DLL-Library. Can anyone tell me >how this can be done >with VC 6.0? > >Best regards, >Reinhold > 1) get the source from http://tcl.sourceforge.net/ 2) open a command prompt 3) cd to the win/ subdirectory 4) call vcvars32.bat located in ??\vc98\bin\ of vc6 for wherever you installed it. 5) type @ the prompt: nmake -f makefile.vc -- David Gravereaux <davygrvy@pobox.com> [species: human; planet: earth,milkyway(western spiral arm),alpha sector] Reinhold.kwauka wrote: > Hello, > > i would like to build TCL/TK as a separate DLL-Library. Can anyone tell me > how this can be done > with VC 6.0? > > Best regards, > Reinhold > > Its already done. Just download a binary release for windows and check \Program Files\Tcl\lib for the DLLs and static libraries. ...

Tcl
Hello, where can I see for tcl syntacs and how-to run a tcl test? Thank You Vittore ___________________________________ Yahoo! Mail: gratis 1GB per i messaggi e allegati da 10MB http://mail.yahoo.it ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Posted to the ptolemy-hackers mailing list. Please send administrative mail for this list to: ptolemy-hackers-request@ptolemy.eecs.berkeley.edu ...

Tcl extension: check Tcl version?
Is there a recommended way to check if a (binary) Tcl extension is loaded to the same Tcl version that was used for linking the extension? Currently I'm encountering a problem with an extension that I have built (and linked) with libtk8.3.so and that can be loaded under wish8.5 as well (without re-bulding, using package require). A number of newly provided commands work well in spite of the version mixture, but others don't, and wish8.5 crashes when these commands are used. Is this behavior normal, i.e. should I check that compile-time version and run-time version are identical? Or ...

[TCL] multi-threaded tcl apps
Hi, Where can one find complete documentation on the ttrace package to the Thread package? I'd like to know what commands are available in ttrace and how to use them. --------------------------------------------- Andrew R. Falanga (a non-HP employee) Hewlett-Packard Company 11311 Chinden Blvd. Boise, Idaho --------------------------------------------- Please note: The e-mail address is purposely mangled. I do not wish my account at HP to become a spam haven. If you wish to e-mail me, the address consists of a dot between my first and last names (excluding my middle initial). The rest...

MS Dictation and TCL
I'm trying to use the MS dictation tool while in TCL 8.5 program. The text starts to appear, but then the program crashes. It would be great to find a way to make this work. Thanks! Barney Tcl 8.5 (wish 8.5) makeindex (12/14/2007) MSWinXP sp3 plenty of ram and storage ...

Inline::Tcl vs. Inline::Tcl
The readme for CPAN's Inline::Tcl says this: > This module is not related to the Inline::Tcl module, but it might be > valuable to have some compatibility between the two. > This sentence seems to suggest that there is another module named Inline::Tcl somewhere. Is this true, and if so, where can I find it? Mumia W. wrote: > The readme for CPAN's Inline::Tcl says this: > > > This module is not related to the Inline::Tcl module, but it might be > > valuable to have some compatibility between the two. > > > > This sentence seems to suggest ...

[TCL] diff type operations in TCL
I didn't see anything in tcllib and thus far haven't turned up anything that looks like it will work. I would like to know if there is a TCL package, or already written procedure, that will do a simple diff of two files and tell me if they're the same or if they have differences. Is there anything like this? --------------------------------------------- Andrew R. Falanga (a non-HP employee) Hewlett-Packard Company 11311 Chinden Blvd. Boise, Idaho --------------------------------------------- Please note: The e-mail address is purposely mangled. I do not wish my account at HP to...

How Tcl source finds init.tcl???
Hi, I have one question about how Tcl finds init.tcl. What environment variable does Tcl source use to get the search path for init.tcl? Is there any way to specifically use init.tcl from a certain path? Thanks a lot in advance! Lihong lihong pei wrote: > I have one question about how Tcl finds init.tcl. > What environment variable does Tcl source use to get the search path for > init.tcl? If the environment variable TCL_LIBRARY exists, it's value is assumed to be a single directory which is added to the search path for init.tcl. Note that this is offered mostly as a way for...

Tcl Book that explains tcl C API?
Hi! I am looking for material that explains the tcl C API in order to: - Embed Tcl into a C application. - Extend Tcl to add new commands in C. Does Tcl and Tk Toolkit (2nd Edition) by Ken Jones and John Ousterhout do a good job explain these topics in depth? Thanks! Asif wrote: > Hi! > > I am looking for material that explains the tcl C API in order to: > > - Embed Tcl into a C application. > - Extend Tcl to add new commands in C. > > Does Tcl and Tk Toolkit (2nd Edition) by Ken Jones and John Ousterhout do > a good job explain these topics in depth? > > Thanks! can help you cheap:; http://freecomputerbooks.com/langTclBooks.html -- -- -- What's on Shortwave guide: choose an hour, go! http://shortwave.tk 700+ Radio Stations on SW http://swstations.tk 300+ languages on SW http://radiolanguages.tk marc wrote: > Asif wrote: > >> Hi! >> >> I am looking for material that explains the tcl C API in order to: >> >> - Embed Tcl into a C application. >> - Extend Tcl to add new commands in C. >> >> Does Tcl and Tk Toolkit (2nd Edition) by Ken Jones and John Ousterhout do >> a good job explain these topics in depth? >> >> Thanks! > > > can help you cheap:; > http://freecomputerbooks.com/langTclBooks.html Would you really trust a site which *PRESUMES* the whole world uses their preferred settings and the heck with the visually imperfect. The resu...

Possible bug in Tcl or Windows or Tcl on Windows
Hi, There seems to be a bug in the way numbers are compared in Tcl. Consider the below script for calculating Pythagorean triplets. For hypotenuse upto a value of 100, there should have been 63 unique triplets. On Windows XP the script detects only 62. The script doesn't detect the case where c=99, b=20 ==> a=101. However running the same script under Tcl 8.4.1 in Cygwin detects 63 triplets. I don't have a Linux machine at hand to test it there. Following is the script and relevant output. Could anyone shed some light on the cause of this. Maybe it has something to do with how the numbers are represented internally? Running the script for N>100 shows up many more such missed values. An equivalent program in C runs correctly on the same machine. C code was compiled using both gcc and VC++6.0. ######################################################################### # a^2 = b^2 + c^2 proc pythag {MAX} { set i 0 for {set c 2} {$c <= $MAX} {incr c} { for {set b 1} {$b < $c} {incr b} { set a [expr hypot($c, $b)] ;# Calc. Hypot if { ($c == 99) && ($b == 20)} { ;# <<<<<<<< puts ">> [expr round($a)] == $a" } if {[expr round($a)] == $a} { puts "$a : $b : $c" incr i } } } return $i } if {$argc == 1} { set MAX [lindex $argv 0] } else { puts stderr "Usage: tclsh $argv0 N" exit } puts [pythag $MAX] ############# OUTPUT ################ Tcl 8.4.1 (Cygwi...

Incr Tcl /Tk for Tcl 8.4

Sourcing a TCL file from within a tcl file
I am a newbie which I am sure I don't need to state :) I am trying to create a variable with a TCL file that will source another tcl file when I type the variable name something like this if I enter A through my keyboard then source a.tcl Can someone show me how to do this thanks guy On Dec 10, 1:15=A0pm, guy <gcoletta2...@gmail.com> wrote: > I am a newbie which I am sure I don't need to state :) > > I am trying to create a variable with a TCL file that will source > another tcl file when I type the variable name > > something like this > > if I e...

Why TCL?
Hi, 2 weeks ago I found out about TCL for the first time, and I've fallen for it since. It turned out to be very easy to learn, and seems to do what I want it to do so far. I have to hold a speech on any arbitrary technical subject soon for a room of techies and I've thought about introducing them to TCL, since many have heard of Expect, but don't realize it's built on top of TCL. Since 2 weeks has not been enough for me to know all ins and outs, I wonder how I can convince them of the benefits of TCL. By testing the waters, the first responses I got were: "Why yet ano...

Tcl Web Service with Authorization kills Tcl
Hi! I am trying to use web services with authorization using wsdl on tclhttpd 3.5.1, ActiveTcl8.4.18, WS::Server/Utils/Client 1.0.8. tls 1.50, tdom 0.8.2, SuSE Linux 10.0. Are there any known issues using WSDL and authorization? Server side is exactly the example in http://members.cox.net/~gerald.lester/WebServices/Tcl%20Web%20Service%20Example.html As client side is using authorization http headers are appended to client commands. Reading the definitions of the offered services is fine. ::WS::Client::GetAndParseWsdl\ http://localhost:8015/service/wsExamples/wsdl\ {"A...

Tcl-2004 Update: More food and Tcl jobs
Gerald just finished some negotiating with the hotel, and we've increased the meals at Tcl-2004. There will be free breakfast, lunch and breaks on all days, and free dinner on Wed and Thur. We'll have an open bar a couple of the conference nights also. Just the food is worth more than the registration fee! Add in the technical talks, panels, camaraderie and social networking, and this conference is a bargain you won't see again. At least two groups that are looking for Tcl/Tk developers will be present, so bring a resume if you're on the prowl. Online registration will cl...

Web resources about - Tcl only - comp.lang.tcl

Kendrick Lamar Songs: Donald Trump Protesters Chant ‘Alright’ Lyrics After Shutdown Victory
Kendrick Lamar’s song, “Alright,” made headlines in Chicago as Donald Trump protesters unified for a cause — to shutdown Trump’s rally. Upon ...

North Korea denies cyber attacks on South Korea officials
North Korea on Sunday denied that it conducted cyber attacks against officials from rival South Korea, calling the South's accusation that it ...

Nickelodeon’s 2016 Kids’ Choice Awards
Show host Blake Shelton is ‘slimed’ during Nickelodeon’s 2016 Kids’ Choice Awards in Inglewood, California. — Reuters pic

ABC Four Corners team arrested in Malaysia over reporting on corruption allegations
An ABC Four Corners crew is detained by Malaysian police after trying to question Prime Minister Najib Razak over a corruption scandal.

Officials say unrest at prison in Alabama leaves 2 hurt
Inmates set a fire, seized control of a dormitory and stabbed two corrections officials during a violent uprising at a prison in southern Alabama, ...

What Time Is The End of The Daylight?
What time is the end of the daylight? The sun is expected to die in roughly 5 billion years. But humans—provided we survive any number of ecological, ...

Go champion Lee Se-dol strikes back to beat Google's DeepMind AI for first time
AlphaGo wrapped up victory for Google in the DeepMind Challenge Match by winning its third straight game against Go champion Lee Se-dol yesterday, ...

Unusually widespread flooding across Louisiana, Mississippi
KOKI FOX 23 Unusually widespread flooding across Louisiana, Mississippi KOKI FOX 23 HATTIESBURG, Miss. (AP) — As the Leaf River rose north ...

Martavis Bryant Checking Into Rehab Is A Big Blow To Pittsburgh Steelers
Martavis Bryant plans to enter rehab and we certainly hope the exciting Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver gets the help he needs. Bryant could ...

To Maintain Supply of Sex Slaves, ISIS Pushes Birth Control
Modern methods allow the Islamic State to keep up its systematic rape of captives under medieval codes.