Tcl Package question

Is there a way to list all procedure/function APIs that are available
in a giving package that users can use. No, the internal api won't get
listed. Thanks.

On Apr 21, 5:33 am, quynhvan...@gmail.com wrote:
> Is there a way to list all procedure/function APIs that are available
> in a giving package that users can use. No, the internal api won't get
> listed. Thanks.

The only way I can think of is to compare [info commands] before and
after loading the package:

  set before [info commands]
  package require Tk
  set tkcommands [info commands]

  foreach x $before {
    if {[set i [lsearch -exact $tkcommands $x]] != -1} {
      set tkcommands [lreplace $tkcommands $i $i]
    }
  }
  puts $tkcommands

0
slebetman (894)
4/21/2007 10:56:12 AM
quynhvanmac@gmail.com wrote:
> Is there a way to list all procedure/function APIs that are available
> in a giving package that users can use. No, the internal api won't get
> listed. Thanks.

Not really. If the package uses a namespace, then you can load it and
call [namespace export] and [info commands] to get a list of commands
that are exported:

   proc exported ns {
       set pats [namespace eval $ns { namespace export }]
       set cmds [list]
       foreach pat $pats {
           lappend cmds {*}[info commands $ns\::$pat]
       }
       return [lsort -unique $cmds]
   }

(Use 'eval lappend cmds [...]' instead of {*} in 8.4).

-- Neil
0
nem3909 (1000)
4/21/2007 11:00:28 AM
quynhvanmac@gmail.com schrieb:
> Is there a way to list all procedure/function APIs that are available
> in a giving package that users can use. No, the internal api won't get
> listed. Thanks.

Hi,

as has been said already "info commands" is your friend, and will give
you a starting point.

This script lists all available commands:-------------

proc listNamespaceChildren { {ns ::}} {
   listNamespaceCommands $ns
   set l [namespace children $ns]
   if { [llength $l] > 0 } {
      foreach {e} $l {
         puts "found namespace $e"
         listNamespaceChildren $e
      }
   }
}

proc listNamespaceCommands { {ns ::}} {
   if {[string length $ns] < 3} then {set stern "*"} else {set stern "::*" }
   puts "---------- \tAll commands / procedures in namespace $ns$stern
\t----------"
   puts stdout  "[lsort [info commands $ns$stern ]]"
}

listNamespaceChildren ::

------------------
Max

Packaging tcl packages.
I'm writing tclets which are mostly structured as package requires and glue. This structure seems to cause a problem: to be up-loadable by browsers a tclet has to be a monolithic block containing all necessary code. This raises two questions: Does a tclet have to be a self-contained monolith? My experiments suggest so: two separate tclet up-loads are isolated from one another and can't share code, which seems sensible with respect to safety. I also haven't figured out how to the the tcl equivalent to the Java codebase attribute (although I probably don't understand what codebase is supposed to do). The second question is: assuming a monolithic structure, is there a tool around that can create the monolith? It doesn't seem like too difficult a shell script to write, but dealing with browser-resident errors that result from subtle monolithifying issues isn't my idea of a good time. R. Clayton wrote: > I'm writing tclets which are mostly structured as package requires and glue. > This structure seems to cause a problem: to be up-loadable by browsers a tclet > has to be a monolithic block containing all necessary code. This raises two > questions: > > Does a tclet have to be a self-contained monolith? My experiments suggest so: > two separate tclet up-loads are isolated from one another and can't share code, > which seems sensible with respect to safety. I also haven't figured out how to > the the tcl eq...

tcl application with tcl application

Why are packages in TCL?
Hi all, I was just thinking why "package" command was introduced in TCL. Every code control and naming collision prevention can be achieved by "namespace" command itself. Then why is the "package" command really needed ? Partha sarathy schrieb: > Every code control and naming collision prevention can be achieved > by "namespace" command itself. Then why is the "package" command really > needed ? The package mechanism includes elastic versioning (e.g. require 8.3, get 8.4) and shared lib loading. While every package should live in one namespace of the same name (not all do - e.g. BWidget creates four, to wit - % packa re BWidget 1.4.1 % namespace children :: ::Widget ::auto_mkindex_parser ::BWidget ::GlobalVar ::BWIDGET ::pkg ::msgcat :: tk ::vfs ::tcl ), namespaces can also be put to other uses, e.g. classes or objects for OO systems. sarathy wrote: > Hi all, > I was just thinking why "package" command was introduced in > TCL. Every code control and naming collision prevention can be achieved > by "namespace" command itself. Then why is the "package" command really > needed ? Packages do not address name space collision, they address loading of both binary and tcl files. -- +--------------------------------+---------------------------------------+ | Gerald W. Lester | |"The...

TCL question
I am trying to split a string into lines. The string contains embedded > new lines and I just want to break it into a list of separate lines, > using the "split' command - page 45 in "Exploring Expect". But it actually splits the string > into separate words, apparently using the space " " character instead > of the "\n". I also tried the "\r" but the effect was no different. > > The command I used was: > split $zzz "\n" > > Thank you, > > > John. JSLEEMAN@stanfordmed.org wrote: > I am trying to split a string into lines. The string contains > embedded >> new lines and I just want to break it into a list of separate lines, >> using the "split' command - page 45 in "Exploring Expect". But it actually splits the string >> into separate words, apparently using the space " " character instead >> of the "\n". I also tried the "\r" but the effect was no different. >> >> The command I used was: >> split $zzz "\n" >> >> Thank you, >> >>> John. > What you describe sounds unusual. If you have a string in "zzz" that is a bunch of characters split by newlines, [split $zzz "\n"] _will_ split on newlines. To wit: tclsh % set zzz "this is\nthree lines\nof text" this is three lines of text tclsh % split...

Hello It's Friday and... well... Two things about Tcl going through my mind this week, a nice anecdote and a eyebrow-rising thing on Wikipedia: Anecdote: Until three months ago I worked in a scientific institue where I wrote much software in Tcl, especially a big Build and Report System, some tools for automatic checking of coding style and other things. Tcl had a bad reputation there (not because of me... they dropped Tcl before I started there in favour of Joy, then JavaScript and now Python) and besides me, there was only one co-worker who appearantly writes some small Tcl-Scripts to support other researchers in their work. To get completely rid of Tcl, they even started to reimplement all things, I wrote in Tcl in Python just to have it in a language, that most of them know (which is a good decision on the one hand, but on the other hand, I think, it would be better to simply learn Tcl ;-), which made me a little bit sad. Now there is a new collegue who has to maintain some of the things I wrote. Comming from Perl he wasn't exactly enthusiastic when he heard, that he must maintain my old code in such an obscure language.. Two weeks ago, I got mail from him. He's just studying a complex system of scripts that are used for a sandboxed build system for source code which comes from external untrusted source and must be compiled and tested. Of course it's written in Tcl (and some bash-Scripting). He told me, that although he has never looked at Tcl before,...

Tcl packages
Is there a summary of all tcl packages and what they do any where? I often come across a package that provides functionaility I need after I've gone and developed that functionality myself. I generally have a preference for using published packages rather than developing my own code because I feel the published package will be more thouroughly tested that some code I wrote this morning. I recall from my small dabble with java that I though the biggest challenge wan't writing the code, it was knowing what classes already exist and how to use them. Is tcl becoming like this? Th...

How to compile tcl or encrypt tcl
I use TclPro1.5 to compile my tcl script with tixwish in the Solaris before. But I cannot use the same method in Linux. Why? Is there any utility for me to compile or encrypt the code by using tixwish? The following is the simple code if I use the tixwish: #!/home/albertl/local/bin/tixwish puts "haha" And after using procomp by the TclPro1.5 Error in startup script: The TclPro ByteCode Loader is not available or does not support the correct version while executing "error "The TclPro ByteCode Loader is not available or does not support the correct version"" invoked from within "if {[catch {package require tbcload 1.3} err] == 1} { error "The TclPro ByteCode Loader is not available or does not support the correct version" ...." (file "a.tbc" line 4) The problem seems that tbcload1.3 cannot be found? But tbcload is already there "/home/albertl/local/lib/tbcload1.3" Why? Can anyone tell me? stratus schrieb: > I use TclPro1.5 to compile my tcl script with tixwish in the Solaris before. > But I cannot use the same method in Linux. Why? > > Is there any utility for me to compile or encrypt the code by using tixwish? > Tixwish is just a wish shell with the Tix package baked in. If TclPro does not have a specific bigwish with Tix included your out of luck on that road (but could build your own if you liked). You might have success with freewrap or TDK, don't know for su...

Tcl
Hello all. I found on hobbes the afaik latest Tcl for Os/2 v8.35 Is there any newer port, cause i try to update the eggdrop and that says: Your Tcl version is much too old for Eggdrop to use. You should download and compile a more recent version. The most reliable current version is 8.5.X and can be downloaded from ftp://tcl.activestate.com/pub/tcl/tcl8_5/. -- With the best regards from the Netherlands, Tu, "Tellerbop" <Tellerbop@wint.nl>, hai scritto questo in data Wed, 14 Jan 2009 19:11:18 UTC: > Hello all. > > I found on hobbes the afaik latest Tcl for Os/2...

Tcl
Hello, where can I see for tcl syntacs and how-to run a tcl test? Thank You Vittore ___________________________________ Yahoo! Mail: gratis 1GB per i messaggi e allegati da 10MB http://mail.yahoo.it ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Posted to the ptolemy-hackers mailing list. Please send administrative mail for this list to: ptolemy-hackers-request@ptolemy.eecs.berkeley.edu ...

TCL
Hello, i would like to build TCL/TK as a separate DLL-Library. Can anyone tell me how this can be done with VC 6.0? Best regards, Reinhold "Reinhold.kwauka" <bernd-reinhold.kwauka@t-online.de> wrote: >Hello, > >i would like to build TCL/TK as a separate DLL-Library. Can anyone tell me >how this can be done >with VC 6.0? > >Best regards, >Reinhold > 1) get the source from http://tcl.sourceforge.net/ 2) open a command prompt 3) cd to the win/ subdirectory 4) call vcvars32.bat located in ??\vc98\bin\ of vc6 for wherever you installed it. 5) type @ the prompt: nmake -f makefile.vc -- David Gravereaux <davygrvy@pobox.com> [species: human; planet: earth,milkyway(western spiral arm),alpha sector] Reinhold.kwauka wrote: > Hello, > > i would like to build TCL/TK as a separate DLL-Library. Can anyone tell me > how this can be done > with VC 6.0? > > Best regards, > Reinhold > > Its already done. Just download a binary release for windows and check \Program Files\Tcl\lib for the DLLs and static libraries. ...

MS Dictation and TCL
I'm trying to use the MS dictation tool while in TCL 8.5 program. The text starts to appear, but then the program crashes. It would be great to find a way to make this work. Thanks! Barney Tcl 8.5 (wish 8.5) makeindex (12/14/2007) MSWinXP sp3 plenty of ram and storage ...

Tcl extension: check Tcl version?
Is there a recommended way to check if a (binary) Tcl extension is loaded to the same Tcl version that was used for linking the extension? Currently I'm encountering a problem with an extension that I have built (and linked) with libtk8.3.so and that can be loaded under wish8.5 as well (without re-bulding, using package require). A number of newly provided commands work well in spite of the version mixture, but others don't, and wish8.5 crashes when these commands are used. Is this behavior normal, i.e. should I check that compile-time version and run-time version are identical? Or does this indicate some subtle coding problem? Thanks for any suggestions Olaf Olaf Dietrich wrote: > Is there a recommended way to check if a (binary) Tcl extension > is loaded to the same Tcl version that was used for linking > the extension? > > Currently I'm encountering a problem with an extension that > I have built (and linked) with libtk8.3.so and that can be > loaded under wish8.5 as well (without re-bulding, using > package require). A number of newly provided commands work > well in spite of the version mixture, but others don't, and > wish8.5 crashes when these commands are used. > > Is this behavior normal, i.e. should I check that compile-time > version and run-time version are identical? Or does this > indicate some subtle coding problem? Not subtle. Major problem. DO NOT DO THAT. If you want to be loadable across mult...

Tcl command to evaluate a tcl script?
Hi all, I need to evaluate a separate tcl file within a tcl file. Is there any tcl command to evaluate a tcl file ? Regards, Prabu.K prabu wrote: > Hi all, > > I need to evaluate a separate tcl file within a tcl file. Is there any > tcl command to evaluate a tcl file ? > > Regards, > Prabu.K > hi, try: source your_other_tcl_file.tcl cheers, Tobi ...

[TCL] diff type operations in TCL
I didn't see anything in tcllib and thus far haven't turned up anything that looks like it will work. I would like to know if there is a TCL package, or already written procedure, that will do a simple diff of two files and tell me if they're the same or if they have differences. Is there anything like this? --------------------------------------------- Andrew R. Falanga (a non-HP employee) Hewlett-Packard Company 11311 Chinden Blvd. Boise, Idaho --------------------------------------------- Please note: The e-mail address is purposely mangled. I do not wish my account at HP to become a spam haven. Andrew Falanga wrote: > I didn't see anything in tcllib and thus far haven't turned up anything > that looks like it will work. I would like to know if there is a TCL > package, or already written procedure, that will do a simple diff of two > files and tell me if they're the same or if they have differences. > > Is there anything like this? If all you want to know is if they are different, then: set fd [open $file1 r] set f1 [read $fd] close $fd set fd [open $file2 r] set f2 [read $fd] close $fd if {[string equal $f1 $f2]} then { puts "'$file1' and '$file2' are the same." } else { puts "'$file1' and '$file2' are different." } -- +--------------------------------+---------------------------------------+ | Gerald W. Lester ...

Inline::Tcl vs. Inline::Tcl
The readme for CPAN's Inline::Tcl says this: > This module is not related to the Inline::Tcl module, but it might be > valuable to have some compatibility between the two. > This sentence seems to suggest that there is another module named Inline::Tcl somewhere. Is this true, and if so, where can I find it? Mumia W. wrote: > The readme for CPAN's Inline::Tcl says this: > > > This module is not related to the Inline::Tcl module, but it might be > > valuable to have some compatibility between the two. > > > > This sentence seems to suggest ...

How Tcl source finds init.tcl???
Hi, I have one question about how Tcl finds init.tcl. What environment variable does Tcl source use to get the search path for init.tcl? Is there any way to specifically use init.tcl from a certain path? Thanks a lot in advance! Lihong lihong pei wrote: > I have one question about how Tcl finds init.tcl. > What environment variable does Tcl source use to get the search path for > init.tcl? If the environment variable TCL_LIBRARY exists, it's value is assumed to be a single directory which is added to the search path for init.tcl. Note that this is offered mostly as a way for...

Web resources about - Tcl Package question - comp.lang.tcl

World Science Festival Brisbane 2016: Questions abound in learning extravaganza
Are humans on the verge of destroying our planet? Is creativity linked to insanity? And just when are we finally going to be whizzing around ...

Nico Rosberg and Formula One's biggest question ... can he beat Hamilton?
Formula one's biggest question. Can Nico Rosberg beat Lewis Hamilton?

Experts question effectiveness of Xenophon's reforms to foreign investment laws
Nick Xenophon says current foreign investment laws are as clear as mud and weak as water.

Yahoo! Board Seats ‘Perplex’ SunTrust; ‘Fiduciary Duty’ in Question
SunTrust Robinson Humphrey ’s Robert Peck this morning follows up on the announcement by Yahoo! ( YHOO ) this morning that it has appointed two ...

I assume we're dealing with burst photography, so the question is: Why choose this particular instant ...
Everyone was just talking about that wonderful photograph that Christopher Horner captured at a Pittsburgh Pirates baseball game last Saturday. ...

Florida governor kicked off 'Morning Joe' after dodging questions about Trump's latest inflammatory statement ...
Florida Gov. Rick Scott was kicked off of MSNBC's "Morning Joe" on Thursday after he refused to directly answer a question about GOP frontrunner ...

Questions linger after mom says 4-year-old son shot her in truck
Questions linger after mom says 4-year-old son shot her in truck

‘Foolish and Impractical’: Security Experts Question Trump’s Mexico Wall Proposal
Donald Trump’s proposal to build a wall along the southwest border Mexico would decrease delicate bilateral border security cooperation, set ...

Wake up Texas. Houston. It's not a question of if. The question is when.
Willful passivity and political cowardice can be a real and present danger to our lives. Few of us in the Galveston/Houston area will ever forget ...