Tcl/Tk 8.4.4 port to OpenBSD - community input requested.

Hello, I'm working on updating the port
of Tcl 8.4.4 to OpenBSD.

The existing port is based on 8.3
and some of the information seems
a bit out of date.

1) The list of ftp sites/dirs
where the ports system will try and
find the Tcl/Tk sources, in this order:

ftp://ftp.scriptics.com/pub/tcl/
ftp://mirror.neosoft.com/pub/tcl/mirror/ftp.scriptics.com/
ftp://sunsite.utk.edu/pub/tcl/
ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/languages/tcl/tcl/
ftp://ftp.cs.tu-berlin.de/pub/tcl/distrib/
ftp://ftp.srcc.msu.su/mirror/ftp.scriptics.com/pub/tcl/
ftp://ftp.lip6.fr/pub/tcl/distrib/

2) The description of Tcl/Tk.
From the OpenBSD porter's manual:
"... a longer description of the port. One to a few paragraphs
 concisely explaining what the port does is sufficient.
 It is also advised to wrap your lines at 72 characters."

***The current Tcl description:
This is Tcl8.4, an embeddable tool command language.

The best way to get started with Tcl is to read ``Tcl and the Tk
Toolkit'' by John K. Ousterhout, Addison-Wesley, ISBN 0-201-63337-X.

A full set of manual pages is also provided with this package.

***The current Tk description:
This is Tk version 8.4, a GUI toolkit for Tcl.

The best way to get started with Tcl is to read ``Tcl and the Tk
Toolkit'' by John K. Ousterhout, Addison-Wesley, ISBN 0-201-63337-X.

A full set of manual pages is also provided with this package.

3) COMMENT.
From the OpenBSD porter's manual:
"COMMENT is a SHORT one-line description of the port (max. 60 characters)."

***The current Tcl comment:
"Tool Command Language"

***The current Tk comment:
"graphical toolkit for Tcl"

I would appreciate some help updating this info.
The ftp site list won't be hard, but hopefully someone
with better writing skills than I can come up with
good descriptions/comments.

Thanks,

Stu

0
stu

stu <z@z.invalid> writes:

> The existing port is based on 8.3 and some of the information seems
> a bit out of date.

Yikes... I would say so!

> 1) The list of ftp sites/dirs
> where the ports system will try and
> find the Tcl/Tk sources, in this order:

> ftp://ftp.scriptics.com/pub/tcl/

scriptics.com doesn't exist anymore as such.  The site is "tcl.tk".
Check out the file locations there.

> 2) The description of Tcl/Tk.
> From the OpenBSD porter's manual:
> "... a longer description of the port. One to a few paragraphs
>  concisely explaining what the port does is sufficient.
>  It is also advised to wrap your lines at 72 characters."

> ***The current Tcl description:
> This is Tcl8.4, an embeddable tool command language.

> The best way to get started with Tcl is to read ``Tcl and the Tk
> Toolkit'' by John K. Ousterhout, Addison-Wesley, ISBN 0-201-63337-X.

> A full set of manual pages is also provided with this package.

> ***The current Tk description:
> This is Tk version 8.4, a GUI toolkit for Tcl.

> The best way to get started with Tcl is to read ``Tcl and the Tk
> Toolkit'' by John K. Ousterhout, Addison-Wesley, ISBN 0-201-63337-X.

> A full set of manual pages is also provided with this package.

> 3) COMMENT.
> From the OpenBSD porter's manual:
> "COMMENT is a SHORT one-line description of the port (max. 60 characters)."

> ***The current Tcl comment:
> "Tool Command Language"

> ***The current Tk comment:
> "graphical toolkit for Tcl"

> I would appreciate some help updating this info.
> The ftp site list won't be hard, but hopefully someone
> with better writing skills than I can come up with
> good descriptions/comments.

Debian has this to say:

 Tcl is a powerful, easy to use, embeddable, cross-platform interpreted
 scripting language.  This package contains everything you need to run
 Tcl scripts and Tcl-enabled apps.  This version includes thread support.
 .
 Homepage: http://www.tcl.tk/

'Description' being the short version.

--
David N. Welton
   Consulting: http://www.dedasys.com/
stu wrote:

> Hello, I'm working on updating the port
> of Tcl 8.4.4 to OpenBSD.

> 1) The list of ftp sites/dirs
> where the ports system will try and
> find the Tcl/Tk sources, in this order:

Aside from the usual ftp sites, does the OpenBSD ports stuff allow for
http based sites?  The main download site is actually the files release
area from the Tcl project page at SF:
	http://tcl.sourceforge.net/

but the directory structure there is different from the usual ftp sites.

--
     Jeff Hobbs                     The Tcl Guy
     Senior Developer               http://www.ActiveState.com/

0
jeffh (1291)
8/21/2003 3:04:34 PM
stu wrote:

> Revised:
>
> ftp://ftp.tcl.tk/pub/tcl/
> ftp://ftp.scriptics.com/pub/tcl/

Both of those resolve to the same physical box. Since there no longer is
a company named "Scriptics", the use of "scriptics.com" is discouraged.

In short: please do not include the ftp.scriptics.com address.

0
bryan1 (353)
8/21/2003 6:42:38 PM
In article <d941b.8594$K44.6215@edtnps84>, stu  <stu@bogus.invalid> wrote:
			.
			.
			.
>The OpenBSD port doesn't have threads enabled at the moment.
			.
			.
			.
It's not clear what the right answer is in this case.  On the
whole, that gets my vote:  the standard OpenBSD Tcl port should
be the one withOUT threads enabled.  I can see arguments both
ways.  In 2003, though, the generation withOUT threads remains
more standard among the Tcl community at large.
--

Cameron Laird <Cameron@Lairds.com>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net
David N. Welton <davidw@dedasys.com> wrote:
>stu <z@z.invalid> writes:
>
>> The existing port is based on 8.3 and some of the information seems
>> a bit out of date.
>
>Yikes... I would say so!
			.
			.
			.
>> The best way to get started with Tcl is to read ``Tcl and the Tk
>> Toolkit'' by John K. Ousterhout, Addison-Wesley, ISBN 0-201-63337-X.
			.
			.
			.
No.

As fond as I am of the book, and as often as I argue (in <URL:
http://www.unixreview.com/documents/s=8472/ur0307j/ >, for ex-
ample) that different people need different books to start,
there can be little doubt that *Practical Programming in Tcl
and Tk, 4th ed.* is the most natural starting point for most
Tcl beginners, and those working with OpenBSD, in particular.
--

Cameron Laird <Cameron@Lairds.com>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net
claird429 (924)
8/22/2003 1:20:23 AM
Tcl/Tk sources will be downloaded from:
First, a list of sourceforge sites: ${MASTER_SITE_SOURCEFORGE:=tcl/}
If not found, then: ${MASTER_SITE_TCLTK:=tcl8_4/}

MASTER_SITE_SOURCEFORGE is a list of sf dl sites.
Supplied by the obsd ports system.

MASTER_SITE_TCLTK is this list:

ftp://ftp.tcl.tk/pub/tcl/
ftp://ftp.scriptics.com/pub/tcl/
ftp://sunsite.utk.edu/pub/tcl/
ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/languages/tcl/tcl/

From 'dig scriptics.com':
;; AUTHORITY RECORDS:
scriptics.com.  85868   NS      ns15a.boca15-verio.com.
scriptics.com.  85868   NS      ns15b.boca15-verio.com.

From 'dig tcl.tk':
;; AUTHORITY RECORDS:
tcl.tk. 5706    NS      DNS-EU1.POWERDNS.NET.
tcl.tk. 5706    NS      DNS-US1.POWERDNS.NET.

Two ways to get to 199.60.48.230
I like redundancy.

Last call, please, on whether or not
to keep scriptics in the ftp list.

I'd really like to *add* to the list.
Anybody? ... Bueller?

Stu

0
stu7957 (1)
8/25/2003 2:14:52 AM
stu wrote:
> Last call, please, on whether or not
> to keep scriptics in the ftp list.

Remove it.  scriptics.com is dead, dead, dead.  It is no more.  It has
ceased to be.  It's pinin' for the fjords (apologies to the Pythoneers).

The only reason the domain name still works is because we can't
order every owner of a list like this one to perform the simple
maintenance of replacing "scriptics.com" with "tcl.tk".

Definitely do not miss this opportunity to purge your URL list of
all references to scriptics.com.

--
| Don Porter          Mathematical and Computational Sciences Division |
| donald.porter@nist.gov             Information Technology Laboratory |
Don Porter <dgp@email.nist.gov> wrote:
> stu wrote:
>> Last call, please, on whether or not
>> to keep scriptics in the ftp list.

> Remove it.  scriptics.com is dead, dead, dead.  It is no more.  It has
> ceased to be.  It's pinin' for the fjords (apologies to the Pythoneers).

"pinin' for the fjords"   What kind of talk is that?   :)

> The only reason the domain name still works is because we can't
> order every owner of a list like this one to perform the simple
> maintenance of replacing "scriptics.com" with "tcl.tk".

> Definitely do not miss this opportunity to purge your URL list of
> all references to scriptics.com.

Hasta la vista, scriptics.  Updated list:

ftp://ftp.tcl.tk/pub/tcl/
ftp://sunsite.utk.edu/pub/tcl/
ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/languages/tcl/tcl/

That's three (3), originally there were seven (7).

No other places on the 'net to find Tcl/Tk?

And now for something almost, but not quite, entirely unlike
something completely different...

The 'homepage' of Tcl/Tk is listed as:

http://www.tcl.tk/software/tcltk/

OK?

Stu

0
stu5634 (3)
8/25/2003 3:50:41 AM
stu <stu@viki.fivetones.net> writes:

> No other places on the 'net to find Tcl/Tk?

Plenty, I imagine.  But you are missing the real motherlode:

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/tcl

But I couldn't tell you if this is the "stable" form of the url.

You should also mention the sourceforge "home" for Tcl/Tk

http://tcl.sourceforge.net/

I also think a reference to activestate is in order, even if the
people there don't want to push it.  Perhaps

http://tcl.activestate.com/software/tcltk/

Donald Arseneau                          asnd@triumf.ca
0
asnd (4601)
8/25/2003 11:28:35 AM
Donald Arseneau <asnd@triumf.ca> writes:

> I also think a reference to activestate is in order, even if the
> people there don't want to push it.  Perhaps

> http://tcl.activestate.com/software/tcltk/

This is the same thing as http://www.tcl.tk/software/tcltk/

and the www.tcl.tk URL is *vastly* preferable.  Why?  Because we need
URL's that are tied to the software, not the company that happens to
be investing money in it this year (sun, scriptics, ajuba, whatever),
as much as we are happy that they are helping out.  In any case,
ActiveState is prominently featured on www.tcl.tk.

--
David N. Welton
   Consulting: http://www.dedasys.com/
   Apache Tcl: http://tcl.apache.org/
0
davidw (997)
8/25/2003 11:29:24 AM
David N. Welton wrote:
>>I also think a reference to activestate is in order, even if the
>>people there don't want to push it.  Perhaps
>>http://tcl.activestate.com/software/tcltk/

> This is the same thing as http://www.tcl.tk/software/tcltk/
>
> and the www.tcl.tk URL is *vastly* preferable.  Why?  Because we need
> URL's that are tied to the software, not the company that happens to
> be investing money in it this year (sun, scriptics, ajuba, whatever),
> as much as we are happy that they are helping out.  In any case,
> ActiveState is prominently featured on www.tcl.tk.

These are the same machine.  I do agree that www.tcl.tk is the
preferrable URL used, but it is good to know tcl.activestate.com as a
backup because the whole .tk domain has been known to go without name
resolution for up to 18 hours.  Also, it is good to note that the reason
that ActiveState is prominently featured is because it hosts the box and
bandwidth for that site.

--
     Jeff Hobbs                     The Tcl Guy
     Senior Developer               http://www.ActiveState.com/
         Tcl Support and Productivity Solutions

0
jeffh (1291)
8/25/2003 3:58:04 PM
For now, Tcl/Tk will be built non-threaded.

This info (from the Makefiles) I consider ok, unless
there are more ftp sites to add.

MASTER_SITES=   ${MASTER_SITE_SOURCEFORGE:=tcl/} ${MASTER_SITE_TCLTK:=tcl8_4/}
HOMEPAGE=       http://www.tcl.tk/software/tcltk/

MASTER_SITE_TCLTK+=     \
        ftp://ftp.tcl.tk/pub/tcl/ \
        ftp://sunsite.utk.edu/pub/tcl/ \
        ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/languages/tcl/tcl/

For the one-line & long descriptions, here's my first draft.
If your writing skills are better than my 4th grade level, and
you're not as plagued by laziness, then edit away!  ;)

Here's a question: What does *your* OS have say about Tcl?  Hmmm?

Tcl:
simple, extensible, embeddable x-platform scripting language
Tcl (Tool Command Language) provides a powerful platform for creating
integration applications that tie together diverse applications,
protocols, devices, and frameworks.

Tcl's strengths includes regular espresso, sockets,
event loop, i18n, serial, introspection, bytecode compilation.

Tcl is implemented as a C library and can be embedded
in other programs, providing them with a Tcl interpreter.
The Tcl library consists of a parser for the Tcl language,
routines to implement the Tcl built-in commands, and procedures
that allow each application to extend Tcl with additional
commands specific to that application. New commands may be written
in Tcl, C, or almost any other language. The library can also
be used as a standalone lib, just for the functions it provides.

See also Tk, a cross-platform graphical ToolKit for Tcl.

Tk:
simple, extensible, embeddable x-platform graphical toolkit
Tk is a Tcl extension which provides a cross-platform
graphical toolkit for rapidly creating simple, yet powerful GUIs.

Tk's overwhelmingly huge collection of widgets includes:
text, canvas, entry, scrollbar, velociraptor, buttons, menus, etc.

Plus 'megawidgets' (?) such as the color chooser + several dialogs...

Tk is implemented as a C library and can be embedded
in other programs.

See also Tcl, a cross-platform scripting language.

Thanks,

Stu

0
stu5679 (1)
8/27/2003 2:34:29 PM
"stu" <stu@myhovercraftisfullofeels.invalid> wrote in message

> For the one-line & long descriptions, here's my first draft.
> If your writing skills are better than my 4th grade level, and
> you're not as plagued by laziness, then edit away!  ;)

> Tcl's strengths includes regular espresso, sockets...

I'm composing a TIP to add cappuccino and mocha support in Tcl 8.5, via an
extensible mechanism that will allow developers to implement their own
coffee plug-in modules. :-)

- Ken Jones, President
  Avia Training and Consulting
  www.avia-training.com
  866-TCL-HELP (866-825-4357) US Toll free
  415-643-8692 Voice
  415-643-8697 Fax

0
ken1163 (19)
8/27/2003 4:01:40 PM
davidw@dedasys.com (David N. Welton) wrote:

>it's a company that hasn't been around for
>several years.  Please help stamp it out:-)

:(

I have good memories of it..  And even a coffee mug with the logo that I'm
drinking out of now.  I prefer not to forget it, but please do delete all
*.scriptics.com URLs.
--
David Gravereaux <davygrvy@pobox.com>

$ make war
make: *** No rule to make target `war'.  Stop.  Try `love' instead.
0
davygrvy (1376)
8/27/2003 5:43:34 PM
stu <stu@myhovercraftisfullofeels.invalid> wrote:

>Tcl's strengths includes regular espresso

I'll take a medium latte, please.. no cinnamon or whipped cream, thanks.
--
David Gravereaux <davygrvy@pobox.com>

$ make war
make: *** No rule to make target `war'.  Stop.  Try `love' instead.
0
davygrvy (1376)
8/27/2003 5:51:14 PM
According to stu  <stu@myhovercraftisfullofeels.invalid>:

Here's my crack at editing:

:Tcl:
:======================================================================
:simple, extensible, embeddable x-platform scripting language

x-platform -> cross-platform

:Tcl's strengths includes regular espresso, sockets,

espresso -> expressions

:simple, extensible, embeddable x-platform graphical toolkit

x-platform -> cross-platform

:Tk's overwhelmingly huge collection of widgets includes:
:text, canvas, entry, scrollbar, velociraptor, buttons, menus, etc.

I would drop "overwhelmingly huge" since it seems a popular opinion that
Tk's widget list is in fact not all that large, out of the box.

:Plus 'megawidgets' (?) such as the color chooser + several dialogs...

Tk also includes color chooser megawidget as well as several other
dialog megawidgets.

--
0
lvirden272 (610)

Incr Tcl /Tk for Tcl 8.4

ANNOUNCE: Tcl/Tk 8.4.4 Release
Tcl/Tk 8.4.4 Release Announcement July 22, 2003 The Tcl Core Team is pleased to announce the 8.4.4 releases of the Tcl scripting language and the Tk toolkit. This is the fourth patch release of Tcl/Tk 8.4. More details can be found below. We would like to express our gratitude to all those who submit bug reports and patches. This information is invaluable in enabling us to identify and eliminate problems in the core. Where to get the new releases: ------------------------------ Tcl/Tk 8.4.4 sources are freely available as open source from the Tcl Developer Xchange web site at: http://www.tcl.tk/software/tcltk/8.4.html This web page also contains additional information about the releases, including new features and notes about installing and compiling the releases. Sources are always available from the Tcl SourceForge project's file distribution area: http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=10894 Windows, Linux, Solaris and HP-UX binaries are available from: http://www.activestate.com/Tcl For additional information: --------------------------- Please visit the Tcl Developer Xchange web site: http://www.tcl.tk/ This site contains a variety of information about Tcl/Tk in general, the core Tcl and Tk distributions, Tcl development tools, and much more. Thank you for your contributions: --------------------------------- As usual, this release includes contributions from the Tcl community. We have a page honoring these contributors at: http...

difference between tcl 8.4.2 & 8.4.4
% exec $env(COMSPEC) /c net config This command now fails on Tcl 8.4.4 What can I do instead? to run with either version of tcl and windows 98. "couldn't execute "C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM": no such file or directory" Running on Win 98. Win XP is ok. Peter Campbell wrote: > % exec $env(COMSPEC) /c net config > > This command now fails on Tcl 8.4.4 > What can I do instead? to run with either version of tcl and windows 98. > > "couldn't execute "C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM": no such file or directory" > > Running on Win 98. > Win XP is ok. This is a known bug that is already fixed. 8.4.5 will be out by the end of the week with this corrected. -- Jeff Hobbs, The Tcl Guy http://www.ActiveState.com/, a division of Sophos Hi Peter, Peter Campbell <pc@acs.co.nz> writes: > % exec $env(COMSPEC) /c net config > > This command now fails on Tcl 8.4.4 > What can I do instead? to run with either version of tcl and windows 98. > > "couldn't execute "C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM": no such file or > directory" > > Running on Win 98. > Win XP is ok. This was discussed recently, check google. IIRC, this is a bug in 8.4.4, to be fixed in 8.4.5. benny ...

"::tcl::tm::UnknownHandler ::tclPkgUnknown msgcat 1.4" caused by replacing Tcl 8.4.1 with 8.5.7
In the blog http://planet.larrythecow.org/archives/2009-07-26.html "The Twouble with Tcl" Iain Buchanan shows that redefining OPEN proc leads to the errors similar to what I am getting - when I replaced Tcl 8.4.1 with Tcl 8.5.7. In my case I don't know the exact root cause though ... Any ideas how I should proceed with debugging this issue ? Thanks, Alex tclsh c:/Tornado/host/resource/hutils/tcl/makeSymTbl.tcl ppc tmp.o symTbl.c invalid command name "::tcl::tm::UnknownHandler" while executing "::tcl::tm::UnknownHandler ::tclPkgUnknown msg...

Tcl 8.4.x & tcl-dp 4.0.x
Has anyone built tcl-dp 4.0.x on windows against Tcl 8.4.x ? Is it possible to get the windows dll and the source code with modifications? ...

Berkeley-db 4.1.25 and Tcl 8.4.4.0
Can anyone tell me what modifications need to be made in order to compile with Tcl APIs support for release 4.1.25 for win_32? From the docs it seems that the current release was written for Tcl 8.3d. I tried to modify the db_tcl project and compile the db_test project in debug mode. It compiled without errors, but when I ran the test suite every test failed. I am using a Visual Studio .NET beta 2. (P.S. the java example seemed to work so it seems as if I'm missing something in regards to linking the correct files for Tcl support. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks Mike Bass bass_michael@hotmail.com (Michael Bass) wrote in message news:<f2f8621e.0308161308.31c344de@posting.google.com>... > Can anyone tell me what modifications need to be made in order to > compile with Tcl APIs support for release 4.1.25 for win_32? > > From the docs it seems that the current release was written for Tcl > 8.3d. I tried to modify the db_tcl project and compile the db_test > project in debug mode. It compiled without errors, but when I ran the > test suite every test failed. I am using a Visual Studio .NET beta 2. > (P.S. the java example seemed to work so it seems as if I'm missing > something in regards to linking the correct files for Tcl support. > > Mike Bass Hi Mike, Do you mean, what modifications have to be made to support Tcl 8.4.4.0 on Berkeley DB 4.1.25? You'd actually have to c...

ANNOUNCE: Tcl/Tk 8.4.4 rpms with thread 2.5.2 extension
You may find the specification file, that you can use to build the rpm binaries on your Redhat (Suse may also work) system at: http://jfontain.free.fr/tcltk-8.4.4-1.spec To build, download the Tcl/Tk 8.4.4 and Thread 2.5.2 sources from http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/tcl/ into your /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/ directory, place the specification file in your /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/ directory, then from that directory, type: # rpmbuild -bb --clean tcltk-8.4.4-1.spec Note: you may change the installation directory and turn on the thread extension at the beginning of the specification file. Jean-Luc Fontaine (http://jfontain.free.fr/) ...

ISO: Help regarding Tcl/Tk 8.4 Japanese Input Methods
The following question comes from one of my developers - please help us! ---- I am trying to use the kinput2 XIM from a Tk program. It works with an old version of Tk (Tcl7.6/Tk4.2), but not with my current version (Tcl/Tk8.4). The Tk program (jpinput.tcl) is: #!/usr/tcl84/bin/wish #! /usr/tcl76/sun4/bin/wish4.2jp -f tk useinputmethods 1 entry .nihon pack .nihon It works when I swap the first two lines and comment out the new "tk useinputmethods" command. Is there a "jp" version of the current wish or are patches needed for Japanese input? The program is invoked from the shell script LANG= #LANG=ja export LANG #export LC_CTYPE=ja #LC_ALL=ja_JP.eucJP XMODIFIERS=@im=kinput2 export LC_ALL XMODIFIERS XUSERFILESEARCHPATH="/.../app-defaults/%N"; export XUSERFILESEARCHPATH /.../kinput2 -canna & ./jpinput.tcl "$@" The commented environment variables are experiments. Uncommenting the LC_CTYPE or the LC_ALL statement causes the Tk 8.4 program to hang. The Tk 8.4 program produces the warnings: Warning: XimpProtocol: SelectionClear event received Warning: KinputProtocol: SelectionClear event received I am using SunOS/Solaris (I'm told things work under Linux): $ uname -a SunOS srv06 5.8 Generic_108528-22 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-880 which has the following locales: $ ls -ld /*/locale/ja* | more drwxr-xr-x 4 bin bin 512 Apr 17 2002 /lib/locale/ja/ drwxr-xr-x 4 bi...

ANNOUNCE: Tcl/Tk 8.4.8 Release
Tcl/Tk 8.4.8 Release Announcement November 22, 2004 The Tcl Core Team is pleased to announce the 8.4.8 releases of the Tcl scripting language and the Tk toolkit. This is the eighth patch release of Tcl/Tk 8.4. More details can be found below. We would like to express our gratitude to all those who submit bug reports and patches. This information is invaluable in enabling us to identify and eliminate problems in the core. Where to get the new releases: ------------------------------ Tcl/Tk 8.4.8 sources are freely available as open source from the Tcl Developer Xchange web site at: http://www.tcl.tk/software/tcltk/8.4.html This web page also contains additional information about the releases, including new features and notes about installing and compiling the releases. Sources are always available from the Tcl SourceForge project's file distribution area: http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=10894 Windows, Linux, Solaris and HP-UX binaries are available from: http://www.activestate.com/Tcl Mac OS X binaries are available from: http://tcltkaqua.sourceforge.net/ Additionally, SuSE Linux RPMs are available from: ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/projects/tcl/ For additional information: --------------------------- Please visit the Tcl Developer Xchange web site: http://www.tcl.tk/ This site contains a variety of information about Tcl/Tk in general, the core Tcl and Tk distributions, Tcl development tools, and much more. Thank y...

tcl/tk 8.5 side 8.4
Hello i run windows vista familiy. I code with Tcl/Tk 8.4 with no problem. I would like to know if i can install Tcl/Tk 8.5 to test certain new possibilities without un-installing Tcl/Tk 8.4 ? thank you for help jerome groupeCompteRendu@gmail.com wrote: > Hello > i run windows vista familiy. I code with Tcl/Tk 8.4 with no problem. > I would like to > know if i can install Tcl/Tk 8.5 to test certain new possibilities > without un-installing > Tcl/Tk 8.4 ? > thank you for help > jerome Yes -- +------------------------------------------------------------------------+ | Gerald W. Lester | |"The man who fights for his ideals is the man who is alive." - Cervantes| +------------------------------------------------------------------------+ ...

tcl 8.4.4 change in behavior with WriteChars over 8.3.x
Can I get some input on the following problem: Tcl_WriteChars() no longer returns the correct number of bytes written to an output stream on Unix (I am running on a Sun Ultra30 with Solaris9, but it looks like the issue is generic to Unix. My brief Inspection of the tcl code shows that the actual return value is never checked for this routine, however, except for being non-negative. However, I am using tcl as an embedded shell in a C++ program which directs its output stream through a Tcl_Channel and uses Tcl_WriteChars as a replacement for the unix write() call, which returns the number of bytes written to the output device. It would be desirable to keep this emulation if possible. Exact problem: A string of the form \n<content>\n (of size N) gets represented by TranslateOutputEOL (tclIO.c, l.3107) as (ctrl-M)\n<content>(ctrl-M)\n which has size N+2 My previous version, tcl8.3.2 returned the value N as expected. Any comments appreciated. Cheers, Ben Dorman -- ============================================================ Dr Ben Dorman, Lead Programmer/Analyst, L-3 Com EER Systems XSPEC Development and Technical Support Laboratory for High Energy Astrophysics, NASA/GSFC Building 6/S124, Code 600.1, NASA/GSFC, Greenbelt MD 20771 ben.dorman@gsfc.nasa.gov Tel: 301-286-9261 Fax: 301-286-1498 http://xspec.gsfc.nasa.gov http://lheawww.gsfc.nasa.gov/users/dorman/xspec12 [posted and mailed] Ben Dorman <ben.dorman@gsfc.nasa.gov> wrote in...

Bug789040 came back in Tcl 8.4.6 and Tcl 8.5.
Dear All, Bug 789040 caused exec error in Windows 9x and was fixed in 10/04/03. But it came back in Tcl 8.4.6 and Tcl 8.5. Tcl Windows 9x users should be alerted to the possible failure of exec in the current Tcl 8.4.6 and 8.5 releases due to this bug. Chengye Mao http://www.geocities.com/~chengye Chengye Mao wrote: > Bug 789040 caused exec error in Windows 9x and was fixed in 10/04/03. > But it came back in Tcl 8.4.6 and Tcl 8.5. Tcl Windows 9x users > should be alerted to the possible failure of exec in the current Tcl > 8.4.6 and 8.5 releases due to this bug. Have you identified at what point it was reintroduced? Was the fix causing other issues and reverted, or simply reintroduced by accident? -- Jeff Hobbs, The Tcl Guy http://www.ActiveState.com/, a division of Sophos Jeff Hobbs <jeffh@activestate.com> wrote in message news:<409EEDB5.40905@activestate.com>... > Chengye Mao wrote: > > Bug 789040 caused exec error in Windows 9x and was fixed in 10/04/03. > > But it came back in Tcl 8.4.6 and Tcl 8.5. Tcl Windows 9x users > > should be alerted to the possible failure of exec in the current Tcl > > 8.4.6 and 8.5 releases due to this bug. > > Have you identified at what point it was reintroduced? Was the > fix causing other issues and reverted, or simply reintroduced by > accident? Reintroduced in rev. 1.41 of tclWinPipe.c in Feb, 2004. The bug was a missing space between tclpip.dll and...

TCL is not thread safer in TCL 8.3 or 8.4... Any plans to fix this?
It is a shame that I can't upgrade one of my applications due to this problem, though the memory leaks also intorduced in 8.3 and 8.4 are problem as well. :( I have a process that spawn a configurable number of thread with a TCL intrepeter in each one. The interps are isolated and do not communicate or share anything withe each other. Each thread is a rule processor that is handed TCL scripts based on what events occurs within a multi process enviroment rnaing across the whole itnerprize... Works great with TCL 8.2, not a single problem... But with TCL 8.3 and TCL 8.4 we get quite a few run time errors and/or data corruption and core dumps that all leads back to TCL. :( Quite a shame! cwhooks@landacorp.com wrote: > It is a shame that I can't upgrade one of my applications due to this > problem, though the memory leaks also intorduced in 8.3 and 8.4 are > problem as well. :( What are the bug report ID numbers of the issues giving you trouble? -- | Don Porter Mathematical and Computational Sciences Division | | donald.porter@nist.gov Information Technology Laboratory | | http://math.nist.gov/~DPorter/ NIST | |______________________________________________________________________| Don Porter <dgp@email.nist.gov> wrote: > cwhooks@landacorp.com wrote: >> It is a shame that I can't upgrade one of my applications due to this >> problem, though the memory leaks also intorduced ...

(New) bug in Tcl 8.4.4 ?
Hello out there, using pkg_mkIndex -verbose . *.dll under 8.4.4 on Win 98 fails: successful loading of depriex.dll can't read "::tcl::direct": no such variable However under 8.4.3 it works successful loading of depriex.dll commands provided were packages provided were {DepriEx 0.2} processed depriex.dll I do hope this a known issue which has already been addressed (given that 8.4.5 is already scheduled), or should I file it on SF? Best regards Helmut Giese Helmut Giese wrote: > pkg_mkIndex -verbose . *.dll > under 8.4.4 on Win 98 fails: > successful loading of depriex.dll > can't read "::tcl::direct": no such variable Found/fixed by Reinhard Max. Reported also as Tcl Bugs 776927, 791751. -- | Don Porter Mathematical and Computational Sciences Division | | donald.porter@nist.gov Information Technology Laboratory | | http://math.nist.gov/~DPorter/ NIST | |______________________________________________________________________| On 10 Oct 2003 15:13:09 GMT, Don Porter <dgp@email.nist.gov> wrote: >Helmut Giese wrote: >> pkg_mkIndex -verbose . *.dll >> under 8.4.4 on Win 98 fails: >> successful loading of depriex.dll >> can't read "::tcl::direct": no such variable > >Found/fixed by Reinhard Max. >Reported also as Tcl Bugs 776927, 791751. Thanks, then I can forget about it. Helmut Giese ...

TCL 8.4.4 IPv6 ready
Hi all: At http://www.ngn.euro6ix.org/IPv6/tcl you can find a patch and detailed instructions to setup a TCL IPv6 enabled. For the time beeing only UNIX platforms are supported. They have been tested on: i386-unknown-linux (RedHat >= 7.1 , SuSE >= 8.0 ...) i386-freebsd-5.1 i386-sun-solaris5.8 Comming soon: win platforms. Of interest for official mantainers at tcl.sourceforge.net . They may consider to incorporate it into a new official release. [[Send Tcl/Tk announcements to tcl-announce@mitchell.org Announcements archived at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tcl_announce/ Send administrivia to tcl-announce-request@mitchell.org Tcl/Tk at http://tcl.tk/ ]] ...

Will Ruby 1.8.2 include tcl/tk 8.4.x instead of 8.3?
Will Ruby 1.8.2 release come with tcl/tk 8.4.7 libraries? Thanks. Hi, From: "H. Simpson" <nospam@asdlkfjhasldkjfsadlfhskadjfahsldfks.com> Subject: Will Ruby 1.8.2 include tcl/tk 8.4.x instead of 8.3? Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 17:01:40 +0900 Message-ID: <HwmPc.1858$Z56.480@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com> > Will Ruby 1.8.2 release come with tcl/tk 8.4.7 libraries? Is that a binary package of Ruby 1.8.2 ? If you say about source files, Ruby/Tk can work with Tcl/Tk8.4.7. I already tested that Ruby/Tk works with Tcl/Tk8.4.7 and 8.5a1 (and ActiveTcl-8.4.6.1 binary package). U...

ActiveState Tcl 8.4.4.0 and Tile 0.7.8 under Vista crashes
I am using Tcl/Tk 8.4.4.0 (because I want to also use BLT 2.4 and my understanding is that BLT will not run under 8.5), along with Tile 0.7.8 Tile loads OK under the 'package requires' command, but the first time I run a tile command (for example, creating a button), Vista crashes. ttk::button .b1 -text "Test" Is there a solution to this? I have searched comp.lang.tcl, but see no reference to this problem. Thanks On 4/8/11 10:09 PM, thoselaings wrote: > I am using Tcl/Tk 8.4.4.0 (because I want to also use BLT 2.4 and my > understanding is that BLT will not run under 8.5), along with Tile > 0.7.8 > > Tile loads OK under the 'package requires' command, but the first time > I run a tile command (for example, creating a button), Vista crashes. > ttk::button .b1 -text "Test" > > Is there a solution to this? I have searched comp.lang.tcl, but see no > reference to this problem. Most of the commonly used (particularly on Windows) used pieces of BLT have been reimplemented outside of BLT -- you may want to re-evaluate your use of BLT so you can move on to 8.5 or later. BLT is not in the cards going forward. Exactly what pieces of BLT are you using? -- +------------------------------------------------------------------------+ | Gerald W. Lester, President, KNG Consulting LLC | | Email: Gerald.Lester@kng-consulting.net ...

Spinbox - TCL/Tk 8.4
spinbox was not supported in ruby 1.8.2 'cause it uses tcl/tk 8.3 which does not have spinbox. I got Tk spinboxes to work via a kludge. I stole a copy of tcl 8.4 and tk 8.4 from Python 2.4 and laid them onto Ruby 1.8.2. add the tcl8.4 folder and tk8.4 folders from python into the ruby lib folder (you can leave the original tcl 8.3 and tk 8.3 alone) put a copy of the tcl84.dll and tk84.dll from python into the ruby bin folder. rename your old copies of tcl83.dll and tk83.dll just in case rename the new tcl84.dll and tk84.dll to 83 and now tk 8.4 works with ruby ...

Strange difference between Tcl/Tk 8.4.12 and 8.5.0
Hi, there is a difference between etcl.exe Tcl/Tk 8.4.12 activestate tcl 8.5.0.0-beta-5 on the calc.tcl demo that comes with the etcl download. In 8.5: sqrt(2) --> 213562 ... (No problems with numbers that have non-negative integer square roots) 8.4 was fine. This is obviously not a problem with 8.5. Rather there is some difference between the parsers that is resulting in different arguments being sent to the sqrt function. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable can look at the calc.tcl demo. Regards bobsteel a �crit : > Hi, there is a difference between > > etcl.exe Tcl/Tk 8.4.12 > activestate tcl 8.5.0.0-beta-5 > > on the calc.tcl demo that comes with the etcl download. > > In 8.5: sqrt(2) --> 213562 ... > (No problems with numbers that have non-negative integer square roots) > 8.4 was fine. > > This is obviously not a problem with 8.5. Rather there is some > difference between the parsers that is resulting in different arguments > being sent to the sqrt function. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable can > look at the calc.tcl demo. > Reason is much simpler. It's because with 8.5, tcl_precision default to 0 (i.e. maximal precision) while it defaults to 12 with 8.4.x (eTcl or any other distrib). This calc.tcl demo in eTcl distrib is pretty simple (not to say trivial), and implicitely use this for number formatting, instead of explictely calling [format ...] to format displayed result. This can of course b...

Tcl SOAP
OK - Believe it or not, I have a "requirement" to use SOAP! The last time I worked with this, it did not work at all. So the following quesitons come to mind: Has it improved any - and it is working on Tcl 8.4.1 or later? Anyone using it for connecting to Web Services? Anyone using it to provide Web Services? I will immediately need to connect to a Web Service using SOAP (this is the "only" option), and then later provide Web Services via Apache (1.3 likely, but will migrate to 2.0x if necessary). Any guidance or suggestions would be most welcomed! Dave In article <e45f1db4.0405281105.8d1b86e@posting.google.com>, Dave Bigelow <davidhbigelow@simplifiedlogic.com> wrote: >OK - > >Believe it or not, I have a "requirement" to use SOAP! > >The last time I worked with this, it did not work at all. So the >following quesitons come to mind: > >Has it improved any - and it is working on Tcl 8.4.1 or later? >Anyone using it for connecting to Web Services? >Anyone using it to provide Web Services? > >I will immediately need to connect to a Web Service using SOAP (this >is the "only" option), and then later provide Web Services via Apache >(1.3 likely, but will migrate to 2.0x if necessary). > >Any guidance or suggestions would be most welcomed! > >Dave Short answer: yes. What does "immediately" mean to you? What platforms interest you? I'm working with t...

upgrade problem tcl/tk-8.4 -> 8.5 -- please help
Hi, unfortunately I have next to no knowledge in Tcl. When upgrading from Tcl/Tk-8.4.* to 8.5.3 an error occurs in an old script (tkdiff+) I get unmatched open brace in list unmatched open brace in list while executing "foreach {pattern dummy1 dummy2} $content { if {$pattern == $data(v:status:pattern)} { set content [lreplace $content $i $i [clock format [clock s..." where $content contains (many lines removed) /Src/Src/Tcl/tkdiff-4.1.3-unix|/Src/Src/Tcl/tkdiff-4.1.4-unix {Sat Mar 08 16:20:58 CET 2008} { directory:. none directory:.. none file:COPYING none file:Changelog nok file:tkdiff nok file:tkdiff.bck none } /home/jarausch/Python_My/BackUp_X|/numa-i/home/jarausch/Python_My/BackUp_OLD {Tue May 20 14:39:37 CEST 2008} { directory:. none directory:.. none file:AFS_Launch.C none file:BackUp.Config none directory:jarausch ...

TCL/TK 8.4 for Windows
Hi, How can I get the 8.4 version of TCL/TK installed to work with my version of Ruby? I have installed Ruby for windows, and it appears to be 1.8.1-10 Ruby with 8.3 TCL/TK - so no TkPanedWindows. x = TkPanedWindow.new(root) gives a invalid command name `panedwindow' (NameError) , in tk_call Or do I have another alternative? Many thanks Ian -- Ian - posting to a Newsgroup. Please remove everything to reply. Ian, If you download the ActiveTCL 8.4.4 source you should be able to compile it with MSVC. I have gotten this to work, but I have not gotten ActiveTCL8.4.5 to work. If ...

Tix and Tcl/Tk 8.4
Anybody got this to work, specifically tixDirList? The version from <http://sf.net/projects/tix> has some support for 8.4, but clearly not complete support, so presumably some API has changed, but I haven't worked out quite what. I can be more specific. There's a test for DirList: In tests, run this: "tixwish Driver.tcl general/dirbox.tcl". This segfaults. The error, if you build everything with -DTCL_MEM_DEBUG, is file = /local/brs/work/tcltktix/tcl/generic/tclStringObj.c, line = 690 Trying to check whether previously disposed object is shared. Enabling further checking (with "memory validate on; memory init on" doesn't seem to indicate anything further. I've tried debugging this, obviously, but by the time this error occurs, something bad has happened, and it seems too late to find out what. Bruce Stephens wrote: > Anybody got this to work, specifically tixDirList? The version from > <http://sf.net/projects/tix> has some support for 8.4, but clearly not > complete support, so presumably some API has changed, but I haven't > worked out quite what. Although I have seen reports of Tix working for 8.4, I also know that there are many alternatives for most Tix widgets now. The tixDirList is no exception, with alternatives in BLT, BWidgets, Iwidgets and treectrl. -- Jeff Hobbs The Tcl Guy Senior Developer http://www.ActiveState.com/ Tcl Support and P...

SciLab with Tcl/Tk 8.4
Hi all, I have problems installing SciLab 2.7 on my Linux machine. >> rpm -Uhv scilab-2.7-1.i585.rpm error: Failed dependencies: libtcl8.3.so is needed by scilab-2.7-1 libtk8.3.so is needed by scilab-2.7-1 >> rpm -q tcl tk tcl-8.4.4-34 tk-8.4.4-50 SciLab asks for Tcl/Tk 8.3, but my system has already 8.4. Does this work, i.e. can I use --force? Any help is greatly appreciated. sTefan Stefan Stoll wrote: >>> rpm -Uhv scilab-2.7-1.i585.rpm > error: Failed dependencies: > libtcl8.3.so is needed by scilab-2.7-1 > libtk8.3.so is needed by scilab-2.7-1 .... > SciLab asks for Tcl/Tk 8.3, but my system has already > 8.4. Does this work, i.e. can I use --force? No. > Any help is greatly appreciated. Either use the given binary with tcl/tk 8.3, or build from source to link against your own tcl/tk 8.4. -- Rex Stefan Stoll <stefan.notthis.stoll@ethz.ch.delete> wrote in message news:<40744e72@pfaff2.ethz.ch>... > Hi all, > > I have problems installing SciLab 2.7 on my Linux machine. > > >> rpm -Uhv scilab-2.7-1.i585.rpm > error: Failed dependencies: > libtcl8.3.so is needed by scilab-2.7-1 > libtk8.3.so is needed by scilab-2.7-1 > >> rpm -q tcl tk > tcl-8.4.4-34 > tk-8.4.4-50 > > SciLab asks for Tcl/Tk 8.3, but my system has already > 8.4. Does this work, i.e. can I use ...

Farewell to Tcl/Tk 8.4
The time has come to close the books on Tcl/Tk 8.4. At some level we've been providing support for these releases as a stable offering since September, 2002 -- nearly 11 years. As a parting gift, there will be one more patch release to gather up and make available those bug fixes that have been committed in the five years since the 8.4.19 releases. Release candidates for Tcl/Tk 8.4.20 are: ftp://ftp.tcl.tk/pub/tcl/tcl8_4/tcl8.4.20rc1-src.tar.gz ftp://ftp.tcl.tk/pub/tcl/tcl8_4/tk8.4.20rc0-src.tar.gz ftp://ftp.tcl.tk/pub/tcl/tcl8_4/tcl8420rc1-src.zip ftp://ftp.tcl.tk/pub/tcl/tcl8_4/tk8420rc0-src.zip ftp://ftp.tcl.tk/pub/tcl/tcl8_4/tcl8.4.20rc0-html.tar.gz Draft release notes are here: <URL: https://sf.net/projects/tcl/files/Tcl/8.4.20/ tcltk-release-notes-8.4.20.txt/view > Release date is June 1. This is intentionally a very long release candidacy, since we've got only one chance to "get it right" as much as we reasonably can. In the weeks until then, we can find and eliminate anything that's just plain broken. Build failures and the like. Also this is an opportunity for anyone to make any final appeals about bugs in Tcl/Tk 8.4 that ought not remain unfixed. Without solutions, such appeals will just have to expire, but you've got one last chance to at least consider the matter. After June 1, we won't accept any more bug reports on the 8.4 releases. ...

Web resources about - Tcl/Tk 8.4.4 port to OpenBSD - community input requested. - comp.lang.tcl

Community - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A community is a social unit of any size that shares common values . Although embodied or face-to-face communities are usually small, larger ...

Jake McKee - The Community Guy -
I’m Jake McKee, aka: The Community Guy. I am a partner at PwC , one of the world’s largest (and most awesome) auditing and consulting practices. ...

Derbyshire news, views & business listings from Derbyshire's Community - This is Derbyshire
Derbyshire news, views & business listings from Derbyshire's Community - This is Derbyshire

Angry taxi licensees confront Palaszczuk, Hinchliffe at community cabinet
Sitting within the besser brick and steel synonymous with state school halls, the Palaszczuk Government was feeling the heat.

Community corrections changes could reduce prisoner number increase
Program is a unique attempt to deflect many serious offenders away from crime by addressing the causal factors that are relevant in each case. ...

'This is our Alamo': Emerald community battle over bus shelter enters third week
Emerald is short of hooliganism in its history. That is, until two weeks ago.

Here’s How We Can Have a Nicer Internet Through Technology and Community
... a startup called Civil Comments that may solve many problems by altering the very structure of comment systems and instilling a sense of community ...

In Nepal, a community rising from the rubble
The residents of Tiru lost everything in the quake but, determined to stay together, they are building a new community.

Some good news from the Reality Based Community
Some good news from the Reality Based Community by digby Via Think Progress A new study published this week in a prestigious medical journal ...

Transforming Austin’s Mobility System By Working At The Community Level
... year Austin was rated the nation’s 13th worst city for traffic, with [&hellip Transforming Austin’s Mobility System By Working At The Community ...