Tcl/TK and C

Hi all,
  I've previously attempted to write a game-type application that consists
mostly of a bunch of pieces the user can move with a mouse.
  I should mention here that I'm from a hardware background, and not super
experienced with PC applications.
  My first attempt was purely in C++, using MFC with Visual Studio.  I
managed to make something somewhat functional, but in the end the complexity
of the whole thing got the better of me, and I grew bored with the project.
  Recently, I've picked up Tcl/Tk, and it seems that the whole Tk toolkit is
an excellent way to reduce the complexity I was running into (the canvas
widget automates everything I struggled for weeks to figure out).  On the
downside, I still want some of the extra power of C/C++, especially pointers
and more complicated data structures.
  I'm vaguely familiar with the process of extending Tcl/Tk by writing a
function in C, and calling it from Tcl.  What I'd like is to be able to use
Tk only as a GUI, and retain all the data structures and computations behind
the scenes in C.  Is there a way to hold all your data in C structures, and
share that data with the Tk GUI?

  One thing I had from Visual Studio was a project using the Document/View
architecture.  If I could implement the View in Tk, but keep the Document in
C, I think I'd be on track.

I know this is a very broad and somewhat vague question (reflecting my level
of experience).  If anyone can point me in the right direction, either with
an answer or pointing me towards a particular website or book, I'd
apprecitate it.

Thanks,
Dave

0
dave.dean (7)

"Dave Dean" <dave.dean@xilinx.com> wrote in message
> What I'd like is to be able to use
> Tk only as a GUI, and retain all the data structures and
> computations behind
> the scenes in C.  Is there a way to hold all your data in C
> structures, and
> share that data with the Tk GUI?

Hi Dave,

While I can't really provide any real-world advice or experience
regarding your C/Tk question, I do wonder if you really need to drop
down to 'C' level coding to accomplish what you're after.  What is it
that you feel you can't accomplish in Tcl/Tk?  If you've run into a
legitimate speed bottleneck, than the 'C' route might make perfectly
good sense.  If you aren't trying to solve a specific speed issue,
than I'd suggest that you may not need 'C' at all.  If you think that
Tcl doesn't support the necessary data structures to do what you're
after, maybe you can provide some more detail?  I'd be willing to bet
that you can get what you need from pure Tcl.

Tcl/Tk is quite powerful in it's own right, and on modern hardware, no
speed slouch.  There are quite a number of fairly impressive game
applications written in pure Tcl (if that's what you're working on),
though none are 3D FPS apps for obvious reasons.  For instance, you
might take a look at my "Asteroids" implementation for an example of
what can be done in pure Tcl/Tk - and quite simply I might add -->
http://wiki.tcl.tk/13601

There are many more game related references on the Wiki that might
interest you.

Ultimately, I'd suggest that unless you really need 'C', that you
don't use it.  You're life will be simpler... ;^)

Jeff

0
jeff_godfrey (836)
9/30/2006 12:10:36 AM
Dave Dean wrote:
>   One thing I had from Visual Studio was a project using the Document/View
> architecture.  If I could implement the View in Tk, but keep the Document in
> C, I think I'd be on track.

What Jeff said. Plus, look at the documentation for [trace]

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     Just because you find out you are
At Fri, 29 Sep 2006 16:29:15 -0700 "Dave Dean" <dave.dean@xilinx.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>   I've previously attempted to write a game-type application that consists
> mostly of a bunch of pieces the user can move with a mouse.
>   I should mention here that I'm from a hardware background, and not super
> experienced with PC applications.
>   My first attempt was purely in C++, using MFC with Visual Studio.  I
> managed to make something somewhat functional, but in the end the complexity
> of the whole thing got the better of me, and I grew bored with the project.
>   Recently, I've picked up Tcl/Tk, and it seems that the whole Tk toolkit is
> an excellent way to reduce the complexity I was running into (the canvas
> widget automates everything I struggled for weeks to figure out).  On the
> downside, I still want some of the extra power of C/C++, especially pointers
> and more complicated data structures.
>   I'm vaguely familiar with the process of extending Tcl/Tk by writing a
> function in C, and calling it from Tcl.  What I'd like is to be able to use
> Tk only as a GUI, and retain all the data structures and computations behind
> the scenes in C.  Is there a way to hold all your data in C structures, and
> share that data with the Tk GUI?

Yes!

Check out SWIG (http://www.swig.org/)

For a comparable example, visit http://www.deepsoft.com/MRRSystem/ and
download the Model Railroad System.  Have a look at the Freight Car
Forwarder and the Time Table programs.

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933
Deepwoods Software        -- Linux Installation and Administration

0
heller (3031)
9/30/2006 12:43:28 AM
In article <efka8b$q0q3@cnn.xsj.xilinx.com>,
Dave Dean <dave.dean@xilinx.com> wrote:
>Hi all,
>  I've previously attempted to write a game-type application that consists
>mostly of a bunch of pieces the user can move with a mouse.
>  I should mention here that I'm from a hardware background, and not super
>experienced with PC applications.
>  My first attempt was purely in C++, using MFC with Visual Studio.  I
>managed to make something somewhat functional, but in the end the complexity
>of the whole thing got the better of me, and I grew bored with the project.
>  Recently, I've picked up Tcl/Tk, and it seems that the whole Tk toolkit is
>an excellent way to reduce the complexity I was running into (the canvas
>widget automates everything I struggled for weeks to figure out).  On the
>downside, I still want some of the extra power of C/C++, especially pointers
>and more complicated data structures.
>  I'm vaguely familiar with the process of extending Tcl/Tk by writing a
>function in C, and calling it from Tcl.  What I'd like is to be able to use
>Tk only as a GUI, and retain all the data structures and computations behind
>the scenes in C.  Is there a way to hold all your data in C structures, and
>share that data with the Tk GUI?
>
>  One thing I had from Visual Studio was a project using the Document/View
>architecture.  If I could implement the View in Tk, but keep the Document in
>C, I think I'd be on track.
>
>I know this is a very broad and somewhat vague question (reflecting my level
>of experience).  If anyone can point me in the right direction, either with
>an answer or pointing me towards a particular website or book, I'd
>apprecitate it.
			.
			.
			.
I'm with Jeff, Darren, and Robert.  I'll reinforce in my
own words a few items they've already mentioned.

First, you do a nice job of describing your situation.
You make it easy for people with more Tcl/Tk experience
to understand what might help you.

Yes, it certainly is possible to use Tk only for the
"user-facing" parts, as a thin layer around a mass of
C.  I don't recommend it, though--particularly when
your examples "of the extra power of C/C++ [include]
.... pointers and more complicated data structures."
As much as I like C--and I've probably still done
more in C than Tcl--I now see pointers and struct-s as
symptoms of problems more than their solutions.  Tcl
gets results more reliably and withOUT pointers and
references and such.

So, the common attitude around here is to program in
Tcl as much as possible, and resort to C only when
nothing else is practical.

Here's reading that might interest you:  <URL:
http://wiki.tcl.tk/9303 >, <URL: http://wiki.tcl.tk/4798 >,
0
claird (2363)
9/30/2006 1:32:30 AM
BTW, I also did a board game with animated pieces and sound effects in
pure Tcl (if you count Snack as "pure tcl").  I loaded gifs into images
and used [after] to schedule showing them, with synchronized sound, on
the order of 50 to 100 ms per frame. Worked great.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     Just because you find out you are
     telepathic, don't let it go to your head.
0
dnew (1159)
9/30/2006 2:29:04 AM
Dave Dean wrote:
> Hi all,
>   I've previously attempted to write a game-type application that consists
> mostly of a bunch of pieces the user can move with a mouse.
>   I should mention here that I'm from a hardware background, and not super
> experienced with PC applications.
>   My first attempt was purely in C++, using MFC with Visual Studio.  I
> managed to make something somewhat functional, but in the end the complexity
> of the whole thing got the better of me, and I grew bored with the project.
>   Recently, I've picked up Tcl/Tk, and it seems that the whole Tk toolkit is
> an excellent way to reduce the complexity I was running into (the canvas
> widget automates everything I struggled for weeks to figure out).  On the
> downside, I still want some of the extra power of C/C++, especially pointers
> and more complicated data structures.
>   I'm vaguely familiar with the process of extending Tcl/Tk by writing a
> function in C, and calling it from Tcl.  What I'd like is to be able to use
> Tk only as a GUI, and retain all the data structures and computations behind
> the scenes in C.  Is there a way to hold all your data in C structures, and
> share that data with the Tk GUI?
>
>   One thing I had from Visual Studio was a project using the Document/View
> architecture.  If I could implement the View in Tk, but keep the Document in
> C, I think I'd be on track.
>
> I know this is a very broad and somewhat vague question (reflecting my level
> of experience).  If anyone can point me in the right direction, either with
> an answer or pointing me towards a particular website or book, I'd
> apprecitate it.
>
> Thanks,
> Dave

You might want to check out the SIMPL open source project
(https://sourceforge.net/projects/simpl).  It has hooks for Tcl/Tk and
can be used to exchange C structures with Tcl/Tk apps.

bob

0
ican (18)
9/30/2006 11:05:05 AM
Cameron Laird wrote:
> As much as I like C--and I've probably still done
> more in C than Tcl--I now see pointers and struct-s as
> symptoms of problems more than their solutions.

QOTW candidate?

Erik
--
   leunissen@       nl | Merge the left part of these two lines into one,
e.          hccnet.   | respecting a character's position in a line.

Dave Dean wrote:

> Is there a way to hold all your data in C structures, and
> share that data with the Tk GUI?

Try Tcl's hash tables.  Use a text "key" to store and retrieve an
associated pointer.

Here's a C++ template for Tcl's hash tables:
http://tomasoft.cvs.sourceforge.net/tomasoft/cpptcl/TclHash.hpp?revision=HEAD&view=markup

You can pass around a text identifier like "object1" around your
scripts, and use the Find() member to grab the real data from your
extended commands.

Here's an example of clearing a hash table in one of my class destructors:

    Tcl::Hash<IRCUserScriptProvider *> scriptEngines;

    IRCUserScriptProvider *scriptEngine;
    int result;

    for (
	result = scriptEngines.Top(&scriptEngine);
	result != TCL_ERROR;
	result = scriptEngines.Next(&scriptEngine)
    ) {
	delete scriptEngine;
    }

Code for the Add() is this, as an example:

 int IRCEngine::LoadScript(Tcl_Obj *scriptFileName)
 {
    const char *script = Tcl_GetString(scriptFileName);
    IRCUserScriptProvider *provider;

    if (Tcl_StringCaseMatch(script, "*.tcl", 1)) {
	provider = new IRCUserScriptProviderForTcl(
		script, Tcl_GetString(instanceCmd), interp);
    }
 #if IRCE_USEJAVA
    else if (Tcl_StringCaseMatch(script, "*.java", 1)) {
	provider = new IRCUserScriptProviderForJava(
		script, Tcl_GetString(instanceCmd), interp);
    }
 #endif
 #if IRCE_USEPYTHON
    else if (Tcl_StringCaseMatch(script, "*.py", 1)) {
	provider = new IRCUserScriptProviderForPython(
		script, Tcl_GetString(instanceCmd), interp);
    }
 #endif
 #if IRCE_USEPERL
    else if (Tcl_StringCaseMatch(script, "*.pl", 1)) {
	provider = new IRCUserScriptProviderForPerl(
		script, Tcl_GetString(instanceCmd), interp);
    }
 #endif
    else if (Tcl_StringCaseMatch(script, "*" TCL_SHLIB_EXT, 1)) {
	provider = new IRCUserScriptProviderForDLL(
		script, Tcl_GetString(instanceCmd), interp);
    }
    else {
	Tcl_AppendStringsToObj(Tcl_GetObjResult(interp),
		"\"", script,
		"\" is not recognized and can not be loaded.\n",
		0L);
	return TCL_ERROR;
    }

    if (provider->Status() == TCL_OK) {
	scriptEngines.Add(script, provider);
    } else {
	Tcl_AddErrorInfo(interp, provider->GetTraceBack());
	delete provider;
	return TCL_ERROR;
    }
    return TCL_OK;
 }

In essence, the key is the filename.

- --
David Gravereaux <davygrvy@pobox.com>
[species:human; planet:earth,milkyway(western spiral arm),alpha sector]

0
davygrvy (1376)
9/30/2006 9:40:30 PM
Dave Dean wrote:
>   I've previously attempted to write a game-type application that consists
> mostly of a bunch of pieces the user can move with a mouse.
>   I should mention here that I'm from a hardware background, and not super
> experienced with PC applications.

Welcome to a *totally* different world!

>   My first attempt was purely in C++, using MFC with Visual Studio.  I
> managed to make something somewhat functional, but in the end the complexity
> of the whole thing got the better of me, and I grew bored with the project.

Heh! I've coded games in C (and Pascal) and the experience does grow
very old very fast.

>   Recently, I've picked up Tcl/Tk, and it seems that the whole Tk toolkit is
> an excellent way to reduce the complexity I was running into (the canvas
> widget automates everything I struggled for weeks to figure out).  On the
> downside, I still want some of the extra power of C/C++, especially pointers
> and more complicated data structures.

I'll let you into a (not very well-hidden) secret. Tcl has lots of
cunning data structures in the background. I've written some of them, so
I should definitely know! :-)

But the real point is that what happens very often when you write some
Tcl/Tk code is that you end up with some code that's using a pretty good
data structure for the purpose. Of course, that's not the whole story.
You *can* do much better in C, but it'll probably drive you a little bit
mad in the process; debugging a complex data structure (especially one
that is manipulated in many places in your program) is stupendously
difficult. By comparison, debugging a Tcl program by just opening up a
console on it and running a few commands interactively to poke inside
the code is *so* much easier.

>   I'm vaguely familiar with the process of extending Tcl/Tk by writing a
> function in C, and calling it from Tcl.  What I'd like is to be able to use
> Tk only as a GUI, and retain all the data structures and computations behind
> the scenes in C.  Is there a way to hold all your data in C structures, and
> share that data with the Tk GUI?

Yes (you might be interested in the Tcl C library routine Tcl_LinkVar
right now) but you should think very carefully about just how your data
is going to be structured throughout the whole program. It might be
better to write a specialized data structure in C that has some Tcl
commands to manipulate it. Like that you can debug that first before you
start wrapping complicated GUI code round it. (This is just a suggestion
but it saves you a lot of time and hair.)

>   One thing I had from Visual Studio was a project using the Document/View
> architecture.  If I could implement the View in Tk, but keep the Document in
> C, I think I'd be on track.

That's definitely possible.

> I know this is a very broad and somewhat vague question (reflecting my level
> of experience).  If anyone can point me in the right direction, either with
> an answer or pointing me towards a particular website or book, I'd
> apprecitate it.

The advice others gave you on using SWIG (an automated toolkit for
joining C code to scripting languages) is good. While it might not get
you all the way (computers aren't nearly as smart as people, after all)
it's a great way to get going.

However, remember what I said earlier. Chances are there's a suitable
data structure for much of what you want to do already. Can't say 100%
for sure though without much more detail.

Donal.
Thanks to you all for the advice.  I'm treating this as a learning
experience as well as an engineering effort, and I feel I've got some
direction.
Thanks!
Dave

"Dave Dean" <dave.dean@xilinx.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>   I've previously attempted to write a game-type application that consists
> mostly of a bunch of pieces the user can move with a mouse.
>   I should mention here that I'm from a hardware background, and not super
> experienced with PC applications.
>   My first attempt was purely in C++, using MFC with Visual Studio.  I
> managed to make something somewhat functional, but in the end the
complexity
> of the whole thing got the better of me, and I grew bored with the
project.
>   Recently, I've picked up Tcl/Tk, and it seems that the whole Tk toolkit
is
> an excellent way to reduce the complexity I was running into (the canvas
> widget automates everything I struggled for weeks to figure out).  On the
> downside, I still want some of the extra power of C/C++, especially
pointers
> and more complicated data structures.
>   I'm vaguely familiar with the process of extending Tcl/Tk by writing a
> function in C, and calling it from Tcl.  What I'd like is to be able to
use
> Tk only as a GUI, and retain all the data structures and computations
behind
> the scenes in C.  Is there a way to hold all your data in C structures,
and
> share that data with the Tk GUI?
>
>   One thing I had from Visual Studio was a project using the Document/View
> architecture.  If I could implement the View in Tk, but keep the Document
in
> C, I think I'd be on track.
>
> I know this is a very broad and somewhat vague question (reflecting my
level
> of experience).  If anyone can point me in the right direction, either
with
> an answer or pointing me towards a particular website or book, I'd
> apprecitate it.
>
> Thanks,
> Dave

0
dizzydd44 (3)
10/2/2006 3:07:05 PM
Dave Dean wrote:
> Hi all,
>   I've previously attempted to write a game-type application that consists
> mostly of a bunch of pieces the user can move with a mouse.
>   I should mention here that I'm from a hardware background, and not super
> experienced with PC applications.
>   My first attempt was purely in C++, using MFC with Visual Studio.  I
> managed to make something somewhat functional, but in the end the complexity
> of the whole thing got the better of me, and I grew bored with the project.
>   Recently, I've picked up Tcl/Tk, and it seems that the whole Tk toolkit is
> an excellent way to reduce the complexity I was running into (the canvas
> widget automates everything I struggled for weeks to figure out).  On the
> downside, I still want some of the extra power of C/C++, especially pointers
> and more complicated data structures.
>   I'm vaguely familiar with the process of extending Tcl/Tk by writing a
> function in C, and calling it from Tcl.  What I'd like is to be able to use
> Tk only as a GUI, and retain all the data structures and computations behind
> the scenes in C.  Is there a way to hold all your data in C structures, and
> share that data with the Tk GUI?
>
>   One thing I had from Visual Studio was a project using the Document/View
> architecture.  If I could implement the View in Tk, but keep the Document in
> C, I think I'd be on track.
>
> I know this is a very broad and somewhat vague question (reflecting my level
> of experience).  If anyone can point me in the right direction, either with
> an answer or pointing me towards a particular website or book, I'd
> apprecitate it.
>
> Thanks,
> Dave

Hello,

I am not an expert in Tcl, but I have a similar need to integrate Tcl
and C as simply as possible.  I have an embedded system for which I
wrote a GUI to control over a serial line.  All of the code in the
embedded system is C and it passes C data structures to and from the
GUI so I cannot avoid C even if I wanted to.  When I started the
project I did not even know Tcl existed and I was using Borland C++
Builder 5 to do my GUI.

After a lot of experimenting I found that Borland Builder was very
difficult to use and debug and horribly inefficient, so I started
looking for alternatives and the one thing that drew me to Tcl was the
"easy" integration with C.  In fact, the documentation I read (mainly
Pratical Programming in Tcl and Tk) indicated that easy integration
with C was one of the fundamental design goals of Tcl.

Anyway,  I started by trying to write pure Tcl to parse the incoming
data into variables, lists and arrays and then manipulate that, but it
quickly became too tiresome.  Then I found SWIG and it made my life
very easy.  I now have a nicely working system that I think uses the
best of both worlds.  I have a single C program that takes care of all
of the data manipulation and whatever else I had a hard time with in
Tcl, a GUI in Tk, and an interface program in TCL to connect the two.

So my advise is to use C for what it is good at, Tcl for what it is
good at and use SWIG to tie them together.

Nathan

0
nwest (15)

TCL/TCL combined with Java/C/C++, Any Recommendations?
Hi, I have an application that I wrote in TCL/TK. It has to work with big files +5GB. The parsing performace is not where I would like and some of the data manipulations are taking considerable amount of time due to the data size. Therefore I am considering switching these parts of the code to Java, C or C++. While keepting the GUI and GUI supporting code in TCL/TK at this time. I am trying to figure out which language will be easier to merge with TCL in an application. For C I know that I can compile and generate a .so or .dll and create a TCL package and load it. I believe this is done with SWIG but I have not done it. In Java I saw some info on Jacl and TclBlend. The application will be "compiled" into a TCL "executable". I know I can compile my TCL code into Byte code to protect the IP. I am not sure about Java. Any recommendations or pointers will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Frank Frank <kranfg@gmail.com> writes: > Hi, > > I have an application that I wrote in TCL/TK. It has to work with big files +5GB. > > The parsing performace is not where I would like and some of the data manipulations are taking considerable amount of time due to the data size. > > Therefore I am considering switching these parts of the code to Java, C or C++. While keepting the GUI and GUI supporting code in TCL/TK at this time. > > I am trying to figure out which language will be easier to ...

Debugger for Tcl/Tk and [incr Tcl]

C + Tcl/Tk
I'm a newbie of Tcl language and I would like to know how I could create a GUI in Tcl/Tk for a console program written in C, 'cause I'd like to write a platform indipendent Graphical application. I found out some helps from the "Load" page of ActiveTcl help on-line. Do you know further sites/references where I can find some stuff and help? Thanks in andvance for your replies. ffgg2005@tiscali.it wrote: > I'm a newbie of Tcl language and I would like to know how I could > create a GUI in Tcl/Tk for a console program written in C, 'cause I'd > like to write a platform indipendent Graphical application. > I found out some helps from the "Load" page of ActiveTcl help on-line. > Do you know further sites/references where I can find some stuff and > help? Hi, What exactly are you trying to do? Do you want to integrate Tcl with the program at the C level, or just make a "wrapper"? BTW, there is a tcl-italian mailing list, if you are interested - search for "tcl-italian" on google. Ciao, -- David N. Welton - http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/ Apache, Linux, Tcl Consulting - http://www.dedasys.com/ David N. Welton ha scritto: > ffgg2005@tiscali.it wrote: > > I'm a newbie of Tcl language and I would like to know how I could > > create a GUI in Tcl/Tk for a console program written in C, 'cause I'd > > like to write a platform indipendent Graphical application. > &...

Tcl/Tk from C
I want to write applications in C and create graphics/widgets/etc using Tcl/Tk library. I have no interest in programming Tcl/Tk except what is essential. Is there anywhere just one complete example of a C program that creates, say, a window containing a widget then obtaining input from that? Then I can work from that. At present I have an example that only creates an empty window, plus a huge amount of docs that tell me everything except how it all fits together. Thanks, Bart Bart C wrote: [...] If using C++ for your application isn't problem, then C++/Tk seems to be best choice: http://cpptk.sourceforge.net/ Else... I've no idea :) -- Pozdrawiam (Greetings)! Googie ...

Using Tcl/Tk 8.4.7 from C/C++
Hi, I just discovered Tcl/Tk and fairly excited about it :) I'm interested in using both Tcl/Tk on one c++ project and only Tk on another c++ project. 1. C++ Tk only project: I'm interested in using Tk within my c/c++ project. The project only has 5-6 dialogs using just the standard widgets. Is it fairly common to use Tk directly from c/c++--and is it fairly easy? 2. C++ Tcl/Tk only project: I'm interested in using both Tcl and Tk from within a c/c++ application. Is maketclapp the best way to go or are there better ways? Maketclapp doesn't seem to have been up...

Incr Tcl /Tk for Tcl 8.4

Tcl Book that explains tcl C API?
Hi! I am looking for material that explains the tcl C API in order to: - Embed Tcl into a C application. - Extend Tcl to add new commands in C. Does Tcl and Tk Toolkit (2nd Edition) by Ken Jones and John Ousterhout do a good job explain these topics in depth? Thanks! Asif wrote: > Hi! > > I am looking for material that explains the tcl C API in order to: > > - Embed Tcl into a C application. > - Extend Tcl to add new commands in C. > > Does Tcl and Tk Toolkit (2nd Edition) by Ken Jones and John Ousterhout do > a good job explain these topics in depth? > > Thanks! can help you cheap:; http://freecomputerbooks.com/langTclBooks.html -- -- -- What's on Shortwave guide: choose an hour, go! http://shortwave.tk 700+ Radio Stations on SW http://swstations.tk 300+ languages on SW http://radiolanguages.tk marc wrote: > Asif wrote: > >> Hi! >> >> I am looking for material that explains the tcl C API in order to: >> >> - Embed Tcl into a C application. >> - Extend Tcl to add new commands in C. >> >> Does Tcl and Tk Toolkit (2nd Edition) by Ken Jones and John Ousterhout do >> a good job explain these topics in depth? >> >> Thanks! > > > can help you cheap:; > http://freecomputerbooks.com/langTclBooks.html Would you really trust a site which *PRESUMES* the whole world uses their preferred settings and the heck with the visually imperfect. The resu...

Tcl and the Tk Toolkit--no coverage of Tk's C API
I'm reading the second edition of Tcl and the Tk Toolkit, and am finding it very informative. I appreciate the coverage of the ttk widgets, in particular the tree widget, which has always been somewhat difficult for me to grok. The coverage of Tcl's C API is also very helpful; I'm learning a lot from that. However, there's one conspicuous omission from the book: Tk's C API. On p. 19, the book notes that "Tk provides a library that you can use to create new widget classes and geometry managers in C, but this capability is rarely used and so is not covered in this book." I have to say, I'm disappointed. As one who's been trying to learn Tk's C API, it would be nice to see an up-to-date, structured overview of the Tk C API that follows the same structure as the book's discussion of Tcl's C API. The Brent Welch book has a detailed overview of how to write a Tk widget in C, but I find it hard to follow. (Perhaps this will become easier to manage after I digest the general Tcl/C API discussion in Osterhout/Jones.) I can't help but wonder if the new book's attitude about the Tk C API--that it's "rarely used"--explains, or at least is a symptom of, Tk's slow pace of evolution over the years relative to other toolkits. The Tcl core community is pretty small, but Tk's core of C developers is even smaller. By my count, there are three active members of the TCT who actively develop Tk, an...

Tcl to C or C++
Hi all, does anyone know some tool (free or not) capable to translate Tcl source code to C or C++? Of course I believe to translate only a subset of Tcl language (1), while statements like this: #...some code that algorithmically generate the string a, where a is # almost-arbitrary code eval $a cannot be translated at all, except with somewhat complex solutions! Thank you (1) I'm thinking to traslate Tcl source code written using a subset of Tcl keywords and by following some coding rules; for example I'd avoid this: #...some code that calculates a and b set $a$b 0 Stefano Chiappa Dear Stefano, Is there a reason for wanting this convertion? As I have tried to do such a project in the past, it turned out that the resulting C code was much more slower & memory wasting than the corrsponing tcl code, so I gave up :-) So, for such a tool a severe investment on optimisations has to be made, in order for the generated C code to be of use. I remember that there was at least one such commercial compiler in the past, but I don't know if it is still active. See for example: http://groups.google.com.gr/groups?q=aotto+compiler&hl=el&lr=&group=comp.lang.tcl.*&selm=pgpmoose.200101222138.11399%40non.non.net&rnum=1 I remember that I had tested the compiler and indeed it gave some speedup over the tclc code. However, I believe the speedup was due to the heavy optimisation that was done by the author, and not from the fact that it was converted i...

E.J. Friedman-Hill's Tcl/Tk Course

In Tcl and C++ code, how to use Tcl Command, such as exit?
In my code, i used Tcl_SetStdChannel(0, STDIN) and a thread to control all input and output from Tcl, but i want to use some of Tcl' Commands, such as, exit. I used Tcl_Eval() then, but the Tcl command seem invisible in my code, I typed a string in command prompt, such as "AAAAA", and Enter, got nothing feedback. How can i do to get these Tcl Commands work? Thanx! vian1381@china.com.cn wrote: > In my code, i used Tcl_SetStdChannel(0, STDIN) and a thread to control > all input and output from Tcl, but i want to use some of Tcl' Commands, > such as, exit. > > I used Tcl_Eval() then, but the Tcl command seem invisible in my code, > I typed a string in command prompt, such as "AAAAA", and Enter, got > nothing feedback. Your questions are hard to understand, but they suggest that you believe that setting a custom stdin channel will do some magic to establsh a prompt/read/eval loop. That is not the case. > How can i do to get these Tcl Commands work? Start with something that works, like the source code for tclsh, and adapt to your needs. Or post a followup and include more code examples to explain what you're doing and how it doesn't do what you expect. -- | Don Porter Mathematical and Computational Sciences Division | | donald.porter@nist.gov Information Technology Laboratory | | http://math.nist.gov/~DPorter/ NIST | |_____________________________________...

C++ function in TCL/TK
Hi, all. I'm trying to develope an application in TCL with uses a "list" variable and suppose to analyse the data in this variable. I'v made a library (.so) in C++ for those analiysis. But I have a little problem: How do I deal with "list variable" in C++? The ideal way for me is to get it as an array. How do I suppose to do it? Thanks, Alex. ShurikAg@gmail.com schrieb: > I'm trying to develope an application in TCL with uses a "list" > variable and suppose to analyse the data in this variable. > I'v made a library (.so) in C++ for those analiysis. > But I have a little problem: > How do I deal with "list variable" in C++? > The ideal way for me is to get it as an array. > How do I suppose to do it? > Sketch (untested): #include <tcl.h> .... int rc; int n = Tcl_ListObjLength(interp, listPtr, intPtr); Tcl_Obj* array = new Tcl_Obj[n]; for(int i=0;i<n;i++) { rc = Tcl_ListObjIndex(interp, listPtr, index, &array[i]); } .... You might also extract the type you wanted (e.g. integer) from the list elements, and use an array of that type instead. suchenwi wrote: > int n = Tcl_ListObjLength(interp, listPtr, intPtr); That's not the way that routine works. -- | Don Porter Mathematical and Computational Sciences Division | | donald.porter@nist.gov Information Technology Laboratory | | http://math.nist.gov/~DPorter/ NIST | ...

how to debug tcl running under tcl interep in C++ exe
Hi: I have a C++ exe, which has a tcl interep and loads some tcl files. The exe throws a tcl shell to user where user enters tcl scripts. I want to debug the tcl files while these exe runs. Is there any way/debugger to do this? Regards --Sourav Sourav Sircar schrieb: > Hi: > I have a C++ exe, which has a tcl interep and loads some tcl files. > The exe throws a tcl shell to user where user enters tcl scripts. > I want to debug the tcl files while these exe runs. Is there any > way/debugger to do this? > Regards > --Sourav You could probably load the comm package from tcllib and attach tkcon, tkinspect or one of the other debuggers/consoles to the running interpreter. See http://wiki.tcl.tk/4003 for an overview whats available for debugging. Michael Hi Michael: Thanks for your help. I tried your suggestion in the following way 1. In a shell i started my exe and loaded comm package. It gave me a comm port number 2. In another shell i started tkcon 3. Now i try to attach my exe to tkcon, i use "tkcon attach <comm port>" inside tkcon but it says no interep found. Could you please suggest how should i attach my exe to tkcon? Regards --Sourav sourav.k.sircar@gmail.com schrieb: > Hi Michael: > Thanks for your help. > I tried your suggestion in the following way > > 1. In a shell i started my exe and loaded comm package. It gave me a > comm port number > 2. In another shell i started tk...

Remembering Tcl: Problems with C and Tcl communicated via pipelines
I am now remembering TCL and I have came across with a problem when doing something I used to do. My purpose is to implement a console-like GUI to present in a listbox outputs from another program written in c and allow to command orders via an entry. All the communication between both programs will be via pipeline As a first approximation, I tried several easy examples and I get stucked with these two programs (see below). When executing tclprogram2.tcl I get Done1 and Done2 and nothing more: i must end it with Ctrl-C. However, if I change Hello3 lines before for loop, the program run smoo...

Embeding Tcl/TK inside C++
Here is what i want to do: -create a dll (plugin) that contains the tcl/tk and an accessor C function -Tcl/Tk gets started and parses a config file -Tcl/Tk procs call the C accessor function and turn over a list of "name, value" pairs It is important that this surgery is non-intrusive. meaning that if Tcl/Tk is needed, the dll gets loaded otherwise the application remains intact. can someone help me with this please ? any code fragment is highly appreciated Mel wrote: > Here is what i want to do: > -create a dll (plugin) that contains the tcl/tk and an accessor C > function > -Tcl/Tk gets started and parses a config file > -Tcl/Tk procs call the C accessor function and turn over a list of > "name, value" pairs > > It is important that this surgery is non-intrusive. meaning that if > Tcl/Tk is needed, the dll gets loaded otherwise the application remains > intact. > > can someone help me with this please ? > > any code fragment is highly appreciated > What part of this do you need help with: 1. Creating a tcl plugin? Take a look at the tcl plugin for firefox, it does just that, especially Jeff Hobbs stardll stuff may be exactly what you want. (basically tclkit as a dll..., removes the problems with Tcl not finding its startup scripts) 2. Coding the loading and parsing of a config file? There are a lot of examples on the wiki, and you could use the tcllib inifile module fo...

question about tcl/tk and c program
In my Tcl/Tk scripts, I want to program different branches according to the result of my C extension procedures. In the C procedure, we usually use such codes as follow: int CountStart(ClientData clientData, Tcl_Interp *interp,int argc, char *argv[]) { ............... ................ interp->result = "end vpstart."; //return TCL_OK; return TCL_ERROR; } In Tcl/Tk scripts, we can use "set ret [count_start $sym]" or "catch {count_start $sym} ret" to call the C procedure CountStart. The variable "ret" is assigned with the string which was saved in "interp->result". Now I want it can return 0 or 1 or 2 in the C procedure CountStart, and then it can identify the result when call the c procedure in Tcl/Tk scripts. I just want identify the number which is in the "return ...." sentence, not in the interp->="....". How can I do this? Best Regards Guo "sunnyboyGuo@gmail.com" <sunnyboyGuo@gmail.com> wrote: # In my Tcl/Tk scripts, I want to program different branches according to # the result of my C extension procedures. # In the C procedure, we usually use such codes as follow: # int CountStart(ClientData clientData, Tcl_Interp *interp,int argc, char # *argv[]) # { # .............. # ............... # interp->result = "end vpstart."; # //return TCL_OK; # return TCL_ERROR; # } # In Tcl/Tk scripts, we can use "set ret [count_start $sym]" or # "...

Web resources about - Tcl/TK and C - comp.lang.tcl

Tcl - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is missing information about Tcl procedures, procedure calls, and conditional statements . Please expand the article to include ...

Kyocera TCL Solar Inaugurates Floating Mega Solar Power Plants in Hyogo Prefecture, Japan - YouTube
Kyocera Corporation and Century Tokyo Leasing Corporation announced today that Kyocera TCL Solar LLC, a joint venture established by the two ...

Hands on: Ultra HD TCL 65-inch television
Is it worth paying for extra pixels when you can't put them to good use?

Hands on: Ultra HD TCL 65-inch television
Is it worth paying for extra pixels when you can't put them to good use?

Iron Man Joins TCL To Challenge Apple iPhone: China, Chinese Market
To take on Apple and Samsung in the global smartphone market, China's TCL is enlisting a strong ally: Iron Man.

正反之间心随由你 TCL idol3真机图赏
... 注册 首页 - 资讯中心 评测 导购 行情 - 手机大全 品牌 排行 - 应用之家 主题 壁纸 铃声 - 美人心机 唯丽是图 专题汇总 - 论坛 求助 活动 图赏频道 搜索 图赏首页 手机图赏 平板图赏 美人心机 手机之家 > 资讯中心 > 图赏频道 > 正反之间心随由你 TCL ...

Rumors State That TCL Could Be Looking To Buy Or Invest In HTC
You might not have heard of TCL. They’re the twenty fifth largest electronics manufacturer in the world, the third largest television manufacturer, ...

TCL Communications, SunPartner Testing Technology That Could Draw Solar Power Via A Smartphone's Screen ...
Smartphones are awesome, but with a few notable exceptions, it seems their awesomeness is inversely correlated with their battery life. The more ...

1070:Hong Kong Stock Quote - TCL Multimedia Technology Holdings Ltd - Bloomberg
Stock analysis for TCL Multimedia Technology Holdings Ltd (1070:Hong Kong) including stock price, stock chart, company news, key statistics, ...

Cisco, TCL joint venture to focus on cloud in China
Cisco, TCL joint venture to focus on cloud in China Business Cloud News Networking incumbent Cisco is to set up a joint venture company with ...