tcl/tk exec in windows

Is there any way to invoke built-in Windows NT commands from tcl/tk
without having the black dos window flashing up every time.
For example, I was trying:
exec cmd.exe /c kill /f processname

In this case, on NT the annoying dos terminal window flashes up
every time I kill processes.
Do I need to redirect stdout and sterr to keep the NT commands
silent?
Another question, is there a way to avod the tk 'Illegal command'
message popping up if the command (kill) does not exist? I
would assume the above command would not work on W98 or XP but
only on NT and 2000.

Is the way tcl handles the command string in exec the same as
gcc handles system("Command string") calls in C?

Would appreciate any insight,
Thanks

/
Karl
0
k_dal2 (29)

"Karl D" <k_dal2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Is there any way to invoke built-in Windows NT commands from tcl/tk
> without having the black dos window flashing up every time.
> For example, I was trying:
> exec cmd.exe /c kill /f processname
>
> In this case, on NT the annoying dos terminal window flashes up
> every time I kill processes.
> Do I need to redirect stdout and sterr to keep the NT commands
> silent?
> Another question, is there a way to avod the tk 'Illegal command'
> message popping up if the command (kill) does not exist? I
> would assume the above command would not work on W98 or XP but
> only on NT and 2000.
>
> Is the way tcl handles the command string in exec the same as
> gcc handles system("Command string") calls in C?
>
> Would appreciate any insight,
> Thanks
>
> /
> Karl
Have you looked at the "twapi" package? It has many other useful Windows
functions as well.

package require twapi

if {$argc != 1} {
    puts stderr "Usage: [info nameofexecutable] $argv0 PROGRAM_NAME_OR_PATH"
    exit
}

# Find all programs with the given name or path
set program [lindex $argv 0]
set pids [concat [twapi::get_process_ids -name $program] \
              [twapi::get_process_ids -path $program]]
foreach pid $pids {
    # Catch the error in case process does not exist any more
    catch {twapi::end_process $pid -force}
}
http://twapi.sf.net

0
catcher (133)

Debugger for Tcl/Tk and [incr Tcl]

Incr Tcl /Tk for Tcl 8.4

Newbie to Tcl/Tk: Question about Tcl and VxWorks....
Hello All, I have tried looking on the offical tcl/tk website and also at WindRiver's without success. Please forgive my ignorance on this, but is tcl/tk available for VxWorks or is there in progress a port going on. Many thanks in advance, Richard "Richard Latter" <richard_l@latter.demon.co.uk> writes: > I have tried looking on the offical tcl/tk website and also at WindRiver's > without success. Please forgive my ignorance on this, but is tcl/tk > available for VxWorks or is there in progress a port going on. I have ancient Tcl 7.3 here, but don't know of newer ports. Donald Arseneau asnd@triumf.ca ...

tcl/tk unicode wie kann man formel/math. zeichen in tk unter tcl anzeigen lassen?
Hallo, ich schreibe gerade an einen programm, dass auf windows unix und vielleicht auch anderen plattformen laufen soll. es sollen auch mathematische zeichen wie alpha 'm�' etc. dargestellt werden. mit welchen zeichensatz (vielleicht unicode) kann man dies realisieren? funktioniert es mit einen zeichensatz f�r alle plattformen unabh�ngig? English summary for the rest of the world: sven.rega@gmx.de would like to use mathematical symbols like "mu" in Tk applications. He asks if Unicode is the solution and whether that works on all platforms. I assert that Unicode works since Tcl 8.1 and that UCN syntax like \u00B5 is the way to go with symbols hardcoded in Tcl scripts. I point him to "charmap.exe" (Windows), "Character Palette" (Mac OS X) or generically to <http://www.unicode.org> to find out the Unicode code points. ---------------- Hi, Versuch doch bitte beim n�chsten Mal auf Englisch zu fragen, sonst kann Dir nur ein Bruchteil der Leute hier folgen. sven.rega@gmx.de (xfan) writes: > ich schreibe gerade an einen programm, dass auf windows unix und > vielleicht auch anderen plattformen laufen soll. es sollen auch > mathematische zeichen wie alpha 'm�' etc. dargestellt werden. mit > welchen zeichensatz (vielleicht unicode) kann man dies realisieren? Ja, das funktioniert mit Unicode in Tcl seit Version 8.1. > funktioniert es mit einen zeichensatz f�r alle plattformen > unabh�ngig? Das ist die ...

E.J. Friedman-Hill's Tcl/Tk Course

Tcl/Tk hang on windows
Hi everybody, Please forgive me if my problem is a common one, but .. I'm not able to find any solution nor any related discussion on a similar one. Here is the problem. I'm working on a multi-platform software, and just develop something that works on linux but leads to a bug on windows. Basically, I have a tcl executable A.tcl (tclapp starpack 8.5.9), which run another tcl executable B.tcl (tclapp starpack 8.5.9) which will run a binary executable (let's say Binary.exe). The problem is on WinXP and Win7. Eveything seems to run fine, except that when B.tcl runs Binary.exe, it hangs during an random time (from 2mn to 15 !!) and then runs as expected. This seems to be a race condition, due to the fact that B.tcl is opened in r+ mode AND that a script is connected to stdin. I just found a way to resume the problem with two simple scripts, so here they are: ===================================================================== A.tcl ===================================================================== #!/bin/bash # the next line restarts using wish \ exec wish8.5 "$0" -- "$@" set Commande [ file join [pwd] B.tcl ] set Canal [open |[list wish85.exe $Commande ] r+ ] ===================================================================== B.tcl ===================================================================== #!/bin/bash # the next line restarts using wish \ exec wish8.5 "$0" -- "$@" proc InteractiveExecute {}...

tcl/tk & windows
Hello Please , can i use tcl/tk programming language under windows system , if yes , could you tell me how and what should i do ?? Thanks . Am 20.01.14 09:19, schrieb amerzoud@gmail.com: > Hello > Please , can i use tcl/tk programming language under windows system , if yes , could you tell me how and what should i do ?? > Thanks . > Download either ActiveTcl: http://www.activestate.com/activetcl or a tclkit, for example one with a lot of packages is available here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/kbskit/files/kbs/0.4.4/WindowsNT_kbsvq8.6-gui.exe Christian On Monday, January 20, 2014 10:19:09 AM UTC+2, abdelkrim merzoud wrote: > Hello >=20 > Please , can i use tcl/tk programming language under windows system , if = yes , could you tell me how and what should i do ?? >=20 > Thanks . =D9=85=D8=B1=D8=AD=D8=A8=D8=A7 =D8=B9=D8=A8=D8=AF =D8=A7=D9=84=D9=83=D8=B1= =D9=8A=D9=85! hello Abdelkrim! This is a free Tcl/Tk tutorial series packed in Android application. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=3Dnet.superlinux.tcltktutoria= ls install it. Le lundi 20 janvier 2014 09:39:38 UTC+1, Christian Gollwitzer a =E9crit=A0: > Am 20.01.14 09:19, schrieb amerzoud@gmail.com: >=20 > > Hello >=20 > > Please , can i use tcl/tk programming language under windows system , i= f yes , could you tell me how and what should i do ?? >=20 > > Thanks . >=20 > > >=20 &g...

how to access prolog from tcl?(not using tcl/tk interface from prolog)
hi, I am now doing my thesis project relate to mobile agent technology which need to access prolog from tcl. There are a lot of prologs which have the function to access tcl from prolog, but I need to access prolog from tcl.(I can not use the method that first load prolog, then access tcl via the interface, and reload prolog). So is there any one can help me or give me some tips to solve this problem? Now I can only found one article to solve this problem(http://tkoutline.sourceforge.net/wiki/38). I tried the code, but unfortunately, the terminal always crashed and did not give any response when I run the second command of its example---"% prolog::init". I could run the command of "plcon -s interp.pl -t main -q" in DOS terminal without problem. Originally I thought it is the version problem of tcl, so I changed it from 8.4.9 to 8.0.3, but the problem was still there. My SWI-prolog version is 3.1.2. My operating system is winXP. I am now very nervous about that, Please give me some help to solve this problem, or tell me some other way to access prolog from tcl. Thank you very much I did not give up the solution of (http://tkoutline.sourceforge.net/wiki/38). Now I changed SWI-prolog version to 5.4.4. When I run the second command(prolog::init) of the example from wish.exe, it pop up a window, said that Prolog interpreter closed unexpectedly Prolog interpreter closed unexpectedly while executing "error "Prolog interpreter closed unexpect...

Tcl/Tk scripts to windows executable
Dear All, I am writing Tcl/TK based GUI aplication and I am using packages like Iwidgets 4.0.2 in the scripts. When I am wrapping these scripts to Exe using Freewrap application, it is giving error. After refering some of the documents I have included lappend auto_path /tcl/lib/iwidgets4.0.2 in the script file. But it is giving the error as "can't find package Itcl 3.2" and so on. Can anyone guide me how to wrap all the scripts to EXE which are using Iwidgets packages also? Thanks, Muthu Muthu wrote: > Dear All, > > I am writing Tcl/TK based GUI aplication and I am using packages like > Iwidgets 4.0.2 in the scripts. When I am wrapping these scripts to Exe > using Freewrap application, it is giving error. > > After refering some of the documents I have included > lappend auto_path /tcl/lib/iwidgets4.0.2 in the script file. But it is > giving the error as "can't find package Itcl 3.2" and so on. > > Can anyone guide me how to wrap all the scripts to EXE which are using > Iwidgets packages also? > Go to http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=15218 and download the file ITCLsampleApp.zip for an example of how to do this. Also make sure you read the information on referring to wrapped files found at http://freewrap.sourceforge.net/freewrap_filenames.html Dear Dennis LaBelle, Thanks for the Info. I will refer it and will try that way. Thanks. Muthu Dennis LaBelle <labelled@nycap.r...

Download Tcl/Tk libs for windows?
Can somebody send me the link to download Tcl/Tk libraries for windows? canvas_remix wrote: > Can somebody send me the link to download Tcl/Tk libraries for windows? Easiest way to get started is with ActiveTcl. http://www.activestate.com/Products/ActiveTcl/ Donal. On 14 juil, 23:31, canvas_remix <sgiitne...@gmail.com> wrote: > Can somebody send me the link to download Tcl/Tk libraries for windows? http://www.activestate.com/Products/activetcl/index.mhtml On the right-hand side, click on "Get ActiveTcl"; on the next page, click "Download". ...

TCL/TK 8.4 for Windows
Hi, How can I get the 8.4 version of TCL/TK installed to work with my version of Ruby? I have installed Ruby for windows, and it appears to be 1.8.1-10 Ruby with 8.3 TCL/TK - so no TkPanedWindows. x = TkPanedWindow.new(root) gives a invalid command name `panedwindow' (NameError) , in tk_call Or do I have another alternative? Many thanks Ian -- Ian - posting to a Newsgroup. Please remove everything to reply. Ian, If you download the ActiveTCL 8.4.4 source you should be able to compile it with MSVC. I have gotten this to work, but I have not gotten ActiveTCL8.4.5 to work. If ...

Tcl/Tk for native Windows x64?
Folks: Is Tcl/Tk available for Windows x64 (2003 server 64 or XP-64) as native 64-bit binaries? I've seen Active Tcl's website but they don't mention 64-bit windows. I'm porting a 32-bit signal processing program (huge beast) written in C that uses curses for input, and I'm evaluating what to use for porting. I can't find a suitable x64 implementation of curses, so I'm checking other options. My target platforms are Win32, native x64 Windows, and Solaris (probably Linux in a couple of years), so I need a GUI method available on all those platforms. If you have any suggestions I'll appreciate it Sergio "Sergio Ramirez" <calzadas01@hotmail.com> writes: >Folks: > >Is Tcl/Tk available for Windows x64 (2003 server 64 or XP-64) as native >64-bit binaries? I've seen Active Tcl's website but they don't mention >64-bit windows. > >I'm porting a 32-bit signal processing program (huge beast) written in C >that uses curses for input, and I'm evaluating what to use for porting. I >can't find a suitable x64 implementation of curses, so I'm checking other >options. My target platforms are Win32, native x64 Windows, and Solaris >(probably Linux in a couple of years), so I need a GUI method available on >all those platforms. If you have any suggestions I'll appreciate it > >Sergio Get the Microsoft Windows Platform SDK and install it. Open the...

Building Tcl/Tk from source on Windows
Hi All, I just built Tcl/Tk under Win7 from the latest HEAD sources (using VC++). Tcl built without a hitch, though I had some issues with Tk. I'm sure they're probably related to the fact that I'm somewhat out of my element here, but I'd like to get this right... When building Tk, I received a fatal link error that tcl86.lib couldn't be found. Inspecting the folder it was looking at, I found that the Tcl build (made just prior) had created a tcl86t.lib file instead. Doing some digging, I discovered the trialing "t" suffix represents a threaded build (from the "rules.vc" file). Not being entirely sure how to properly rectify the situation, I found a copy of tcl86.lib on my system in the AS 8.6b1.1 lib folder. I ended up using that to build Tk against (by assigning TCLDIR to the AS lib folder). The final result is a working wish86.exe, but I wonder what I should have done? Thanks, Jeff Hi Jeff, >When building Tk, I received a fatal link error that tcl86.lib couldn't >be found. Inspecting the folder it was looking at, I found that the Tcl >build (made just prior) had created a tcl86t.lib file instead. > >Doing some digging, I discovered the trialing "t" suffix represents a >threaded build (from the "rules.vc" file). yes, different version get a suffix (e.g. a debug version gets a 'd'). >Not being entirely sure how to properly rec...

Compiling TCL/TK and extensions under windows
I have recently delved into the black art of compiling things tcl on windows (BLT/freewrap) and I am very surprised that everytning still uses VC 6.0. This compiler has not been available for sale (even apparently on ebay) for many years. I looked into trying to build a custom starpack with BLT statically linked in as windows cannot load a BLT dll and found that even the kitgen for 8.6 uses VC6. This is fine for all those who have a copy but using bittorrent to compile is not realy an option. Has anyone managed to change the makefile.vc for TCL/TK and especially BLT and starpacks to use the FREE visual C++ 2008 compiler. I have a stop gap solution for now but I prefer a more stable solution for a tool which is used regularly by several hundred users. Thanks in advance Martyn On 8 okt, 10:21, MSEdit <mse...@gmail.com> wrote: > I have recently delved into the black art of compiling things tcl on > windows (BLT/freewrap) and I am very surprised that everytning still > uses VC 6.0. =A0This compiler has not been available for sale (even > apparently on ebay) =A0for many years. > > I looked into trying to build a custom starpack with BLT statically > linked in as windows cannot load a BLT dll and found that even the > kitgen for 8.6 uses VC6. > > This is fine for all those who have a copy but using bittorrent to > compile is not realy an option. > > Has anyone managed to change the makefile.vc for TCL/TK and especially > BLT ...

Windows in Tcl-tk with transparent background
Hi! Maybe it seems stupid, but is it possible to create windows in Tcl-tk with a transparent background?! Using the tk command "[pathname] configure -background [color]" I can change the background color, but I can't set the windows as it's transparent... Any suggestions about this?! Thanks a lot. Andrea - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Andrea Ravaioli CNIT - University of Bologna - Italy delete "_no_spam_please_" from my mail address to find my real one: andrea.ravaioli@cnit.it - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - It can be done (at least on Window) because it happened to me by mistake. Unfortunatly at the time I wasn't interested so I don't remember what caused it to occur. Tom K. "Andrea Ravaioli" <andrea.no_spam_please_ravaioli@cnit.it> wrote in message news:<np0ovb.3jn.ln@10.1.10.5>... > Hi! > > Maybe it seems stupid, but is it possible to create windows in Tcl-tk with a > transparent background?! > Using the tk command "[pathname] configure -background [color]" I can change > the background color, but I can't set the windows as it's transparent... > > Any suggestions about this?! > > Thanks a lot. > > Andrea > - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - > Andrea Ravaioli > CNIT - University of Bologna - Italy > delete "_no_spam_please_" from my mail address to find my real one: > andrea.ravaioli@cnit...

ANNOUNCE: ADB and ADBSQL pure-tcl database engine for Tcl/Tk
Dear All, I'm happy to announce today the first release of adb/adbsql. ADB together with the MySQL database connectivity module adbsql are a Tcl/Tk package useful for Tcl/Tk programmers that want to store their data in a database-kind of way with tables and fields. Two (optional) features of ADB that may make it worthwhile for you: * Writing the database as XML output and later of course the ability to read it. * Connecting directly to a MySQL database. The fun part of ADB is that you can either use it as a full pure tcl library, or you can use these advanced features that require additional packages. Both modules are released under open source LGPL or BSD licenses (your pick) More information: http://wiki.tcl.tk/6319 - Tcl/Tk wiki page on ADB http://sourceforge.net/projects/adbsql/ - Sourceforge page (including download area) http://adbsql.sourceforge.net/adb.html - Manual page of ADB http://adbsql.sourceforge.net/adbsql.html - Manual page of ADBSQL Kind regards, Roalt Aalmoes ...

q) the issues of Windows XP on Tcl/Tk
Hello All: What will be the issues or concerns about using Tcl/Tk on Windows XP? I have heard in the past that Java was not going to be supported by M$ on XP, but now I believe the rumour is that M$ will support Java? How does the XP affect writing Tcl/Tk apps and applets, will most or almost everything work as before ? I do not use XP on my development machines. yet, but some of my clients are using XP. What are the issues and traps that I should be aware of when coding for Windows XP? TAI js // signature ------------------------------------ Take the xxx out of my email address. "Some will believe and rightly so, that there are other forms of riches more desireable than money. Yes, there are riches which can not be measured in terms of dollars, but there are millions of people who will say, 'Give me all the money I need, and I will find everything else I want.' " Napoleon Hill See http://www.lifeforce-intl.com/134808 Improve your life, health and wealth awaits for you. // --------------------------------------------------- getwellness4u@yahoo.ca wrote: > What will be the issues or concerns about using Tcl/Tk on Windows XP? There are no known issues - XP is my main development platform (alongside SuSE Linux, in a very tight combination where SuSE serves all, XP displays all). -- Jeff Hobbs, The Tcl Guy http://www.ActiveState.com/, a division of Sophos getwellness4u@yahoo.ca wrote in message > What will be the issues or co...

TCL TK (wish) updating the window question
Hi I am having a problem with the TK application I wrote. When I minimize the window, and click the icon to maximize it, the window shows up black. What do I need to do so that I can minimize and maximize when ever. Thanks Ashwini ...

Web resources about - tcl/tk exec in windows - comp.lang.tcl

The Windows Blog

Man leans out window and pulls teen off moped in Halls Head road rage incident
... on a moped were lucky to escape being killed in a road rage incident in Halls Head when one was grabbed by a person leaning out a car window. ...

Manage, move and resize your desktop windows with WinDock
... behave just as it always did. If you don’t need WinDock’s configurability, AquaSnap delivers improved snapping, and a lot of extras: window ...

The only Windows 10 tablet you should even consider is now cheaper than ever
... means people who have purchased it over the past nine months have spent their money wisely. On the other hand, it means that Microsoft's Windows ...

Prepare to patch a critical flaw in Windows and Samba file sharing
Systems administrators should get ready to fix a critical vulnerability on April 12 that affects the Windows and Samba implementations of the ...

Android N has a “Freeform” Desktop-Style Floating App Window Mode
As it turns out, Google’s Multi-Window in Android N isn’t the only new multi-tasking functionality the Android team has added. If you read closely ...

Microsoft Rolling Out Windows 10 Mobile to Windows Phone 8.1 Devices
DAILY VIDEO: Microsoft begins Windows 10 rollout for Windows Phone 8.1; Google to boost mobile-friendly Web pages in search results; EMC notches ...

Microsoft Monday: Xbox One Price Drop, Windows 10 Upgrade Problems, Apology For Afterparty Dancers
... details about HERE Maps being discontinued, a Reddit thread going viral about the problems associated with the automatic upgrade of Windows ...