Tcl/Tk hang on windows

Hi everybody,

Please forgive me if my problem is a common one, but .. I'm not able to
find any solution nor any related discussion on a similar one.

Here is the problem. I'm working on a multi-platform software, and just
develop something that works on linux but leads to a bug on windows.

Basically, I have a tcl executable A.tcl (tclapp starpack 8.5.9), which
run another tcl executable B.tcl (tclapp starpack 8.5.9) which will run
a binary executable (let's say Binary.exe).

The problem is on WinXP and Win7. Eveything seems to run fine, except
that when B.tcl runs Binary.exe, it hangs during an random time (from
2mn to 15 !!) and then runs as expected.

This seems to be a race condition, due to the fact that B.tcl is opened
in r+ mode AND that a script is connected to stdin.

I just found a way to resume the problem with two simple scripts, so
here they are:
A.tcl
#!/bin/bash
# the next line restarts using wish \
exec wish8.5 "$0" -- "$@"

set Commande [ file join [pwd] B.tcl ]
set Canal [open |[list wish85.exe $Commande ] r+ ]

B.tcl
#!/bin/bash
# the next line restarts using wish \
exec wish8.5 "$0" -- "$@"

    proc InteractiveExecute {} {
         #Par defaut tout va bien
         set ReturnValue true
             #Lire la commande sur stdin
             if { [ gets stdin Commande] > -1 } {
                 #Do some stuff            }

         if { [ eof stdin ] == 1 } {
             fileevent stdin readable ""
         }
         return $ReturnValue
     }

     fileevent stdin readable InteractiveExecute
     fconfigure stdin -blocking false -buffering line

update
exec Binary.exe

It seems an interaction between the "update" command and the event on
stdin readable. If update command disapears, everythings works. If
script "InteractiveExecute" is not linked, everythings works !

		Michael
--
Michael Magoga.             e-mail : drmick@magoga.net
"Perauriol"                    |       Tel : 09 52 42 76 04

Possible bug in Tcl or Windows or Tcl on Windows
Hi, There seems to be a bug in the way numbers are compared in Tcl. Consider the below script for calculating Pythagorean triplets. For hypotenuse upto a value of 100, there should have been 63 unique triplets. On Windows XP the script detects only 62. The script doesn't detect the case where c=99, b=20 ==> a=101. However running the same script under Tcl 8.4.1 in Cygwin detects 63 triplets. I don't have a Linux machine at hand to test it there. Following is the script and relevant output. Could anyone shed some light on the cause of this. Maybe it has something to do with how the numbers are represented internally? Running the script for N>100 shows up many more such missed values. An equivalent program in C runs correctly on the same machine. C code was compiled using both gcc and VC++6.0. ######################################################################### # a^2 = b^2 + c^2 proc pythag {MAX} { set i 0 for {set c 2} {$c <= $MAX} {incr c} { for {set b 1} {$b < $c} {incr b} { set a [expr hypot($c, $b)] ;# Calc. Hypot if { ($c == 99) && ($b == 20)} { ;# <<<<<<<< puts ">> [expr round($a)] == $a" } if {[expr round($a)] == $a} { puts "$a : $b : $c" incr i } } } return $i } if {$argc == 1} { set MAX [lindex $argv 0] } else { puts stderr "Usage: tclsh $argv0 N" exit } puts [pythag $MAX] ############# OUTPUT ################ Tcl 8.4.1 (Cygwi...

Debugger for Tcl/Tk and [incr Tcl]

TCL/TK window with no window decoration, but with keyboard and mouse events
Hi all, I want to make a toplevel window that is shown without window decoration on a linux box, but I want it to receive all mouse and keyboard events. I am trying to build a GUI that looks a bit like an old DOS GUI: one full screen window without decoration, and with a menu on the top of the window that can be navigated both with the mouse and keyboard. I am trying the following piece of code, but if I type <Alt-F>, it does not open the file menu. Can anyone give me a hint on how to achieve this? Thanks a lot #!/usr/bin/wish # Hide the main window wm withdraw . # Make sure the main window covers the entire screen area wm geometry . 1440x900+0+0 # Make sure the main window is shown without any borders surrounding it wm overrideredirect . 1 # Create the menu menu .menu -tearoff 1 # The File menu ..menu add cascade -label "File" -menu .menu.file -underline 0 menu .menu.file -tearoff 0 ..menu.file add command -label "Quit" -underline 0 -command {destroy .} # Bind the menu to the main window .. configure -menu .menu # Show the main window wm deiconify . # Make sure the wm commands are sent to the menu after 100 grab set -global . dirk.debecker@gmail.com wrote: > Hi all, > > I want to make a toplevel window that is shown without window > decoration on a linux box, but I want it to receive all mouse and > keyboard events. > I am trying to build a GUI that looks a bit like an old DOS GUI: one > full screen window without decoratio...

Incr Tcl /Tk for Tcl 8.4

E.J. Friedman-Hill's Tcl/Tk Course

tcl/tk exec in windows
Is there any way to invoke built-in Windows NT commands from tcl/tk without having the black dos window flashing up every time. For example, I was trying: exec cmd.exe /c kill /f processname In this case, on NT the annoying dos terminal window flashes up every time I kill processes. Do I need to redirect stdout and sterr to keep the NT commands silent? Another question, is there a way to avod the tk 'Illegal command' message popping up if the command (kill) does not exist? I would assume the above command would not work on W98 or XP but only on NT and 2000. Is the way tcl handles the...

tcl/tk & windows
Hello Please , can i use tcl/tk programming language under windows system , if yes , could you tell me how and what should i do ?? Thanks . Am 20.01.14 09:19, schrieb amerzoud@gmail.com: > Hello > Please , can i use tcl/tk programming language under windows system , if yes , could you tell me how and what should i do ?? > Thanks . > Download either ActiveTcl: http://www.activestate.com/activetcl or a tclkit, for example one with a lot of packages is available here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/kbskit/files/kbs/0.4.4/WindowsNT_kbsvq8.6-gui.exe Christian On Monday, January 20, 2014 10:19:09 AM UTC+2, abdelkrim merzoud wrote: > Hello >=20 > Please , can i use tcl/tk programming language under windows system , if = yes , could you tell me how and what should i do ?? >=20 > Thanks . =D9=85=D8=B1=D8=AD=D8=A8=D8=A7 =D8=B9=D8=A8=D8=AF =D8=A7=D9=84=D9=83=D8=B1= =D9=8A=D9=85! hello Abdelkrim! This is a free Tcl/Tk tutorial series packed in Android application. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=3Dnet.superlinux.tcltktutoria= ls install it. Le lundi 20 janvier 2014 09:39:38 UTC+1, Christian Gollwitzer a =E9crit=A0: > Am 20.01.14 09:19, schrieb amerzoud@gmail.com: >=20 > > Hello >=20 > > Please , can i use tcl/tk programming language under windows system , i= f yes , could you tell me how and what should i do ?? >=20 > > Thanks . >=20 > > >=20 &g...

Compiling TCL/TK and extensions under windows
I have recently delved into the black art of compiling things tcl on windows (BLT/freewrap) and I am very surprised that everytning still uses VC 6.0. This compiler has not been available for sale (even apparently on ebay) for many years. I looked into trying to build a custom starpack with BLT statically linked in as windows cannot load a BLT dll and found that even the kitgen for 8.6 uses VC6. This is fine for all those who have a copy but using bittorrent to compile is not realy an option. Has anyone managed to change the makefile.vc for TCL/TK and especially BLT and starpacks to use the FREE visual C++ 2008 compiler. I have a stop gap solution for now but I prefer a more stable solution for a tool which is used regularly by several hundred users. Thanks in advance Martyn On 8 okt, 10:21, MSEdit <mse...@gmail.com> wrote: > I have recently delved into the black art of compiling things tcl on > windows (BLT/freewrap) and I am very surprised that everytning still > uses VC 6.0. =A0This compiler has not been available for sale (even > apparently on ebay) =A0for many years. > > I looked into trying to build a custom starpack with BLT statically > linked in as windows cannot load a BLT dll and found that even the > kitgen for 8.6 uses VC6. > > This is fine for all those who have a copy but using bittorrent to > compile is not realy an option. > > Has anyone managed to change the makefile.vc for TCL/TK and especially > BLT ...

TCL/TK 8.4 for Windows
Hi, How can I get the 8.4 version of TCL/TK installed to work with my version of Ruby? I have installed Ruby for windows, and it appears to be 1.8.1-10 Ruby with 8.3 TCL/TK - so no TkPanedWindows. x = TkPanedWindow.new(root) gives a invalid command name `panedwindow' (NameError) , in tk_call Or do I have another alternative? Many thanks Ian -- Ian - posting to a Newsgroup. Please remove everything to reply. Ian, If you download the ActiveTCL 8.4.4 source you should be able to compile it with MSVC. I have gotten this to work, but I have not gotten ActiveTCL8.4.5 to work. If ...

Windows in Tcl-tk with transparent background
Hi! Maybe it seems stupid, but is it possible to create windows in Tcl-tk with a transparent background?! Using the tk command "[pathname] configure -background [color]" I can change the background color, but I can't set the windows as it's transparent... Any suggestions about this?! Thanks a lot. Andrea - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Andrea Ravaioli CNIT - University of Bologna - Italy delete "_no_spam_please_" from my mail address to find my real one: andrea.ravaioli@cnit.it - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - It can be done (at lea...

Tcl/Tk scripts to windows executable
Dear All, I am writing Tcl/TK based GUI aplication and I am using packages like Iwidgets 4.0.2 in the scripts. When I am wrapping these scripts to Exe using Freewrap application, it is giving error. After refering some of the documents I have included lappend auto_path /tcl/lib/iwidgets4.0.2 in the script file. But it is giving the error as "can't find package Itcl 3.2" and so on. Can anyone guide me how to wrap all the scripts to EXE which are using Iwidgets packages also? Thanks, Muthu Muthu wrote: > Dear All, > > I am writing Tcl/TK based GUI aplication and I a...

Building Tcl/Tk from source on Windows
Hi All, I just built Tcl/Tk under Win7 from the latest HEAD sources (using VC++). Tcl built without a hitch, though I had some issues with Tk. I'm sure they're probably related to the fact that I'm somewhat out of my element here, but I'd like to get this right... When building Tk, I received a fatal link error that tcl86.lib couldn't be found. Inspecting the folder it was looking at, I found that the Tcl build (made just prior) had created a tcl86t.lib file instead. Doing some digging, I discovered the trialing "t" suffix represents a threaded build (from the "rules.vc" file). Not being entirely sure how to properly rectify the situation, I found a copy of tcl86.lib on my system in the AS 8.6b1.1 lib folder. I ended up using that to build Tk against (by assigning TCLDIR to the AS lib folder). The final result is a working wish86.exe, but I wonder what I should have done? Thanks, Jeff Hi Jeff, >When building Tk, I received a fatal link error that tcl86.lib couldn't >be found. Inspecting the folder it was looking at, I found that the Tcl >build (made just prior) had created a tcl86t.lib file instead. > >Doing some digging, I discovered the trialing "t" suffix represents a >threaded build (from the "rules.vc" file). yes, different version get a suffix (e.g. a debug version gets a 'd'). >Not being entirely sure how to properly rec...

Download Tcl/Tk libs for windows?
Can somebody send me the link to download Tcl/Tk libraries for windows? canvas_remix wrote: > Can somebody send me the link to download Tcl/Tk libraries for windows? Easiest way to get started is with ActiveTcl. http://www.activestate.com/Products/ActiveTcl/ Donal. On 14 juil, 23:31, canvas_remix <sgiitne...@gmail.com> wrote: > Can somebody send me the link to download Tcl/Tk libraries for windows? http://www.activestate.com/Products/activetcl/index.mhtml On the right-hand side, click on "Get ActiveTcl"; on the next page, click "Download". ...

tcl hangs on exit for multiple open calls from within same tcl script
Hi, I am looking to run a couple of processes in parallel. But a strange hang = occurs randomly. I am invoking two tcl commands using open in parallel. Now= after a while one of the process would just hang indefinitely which I am n= ot able to understand why. The issue is easily reproducible on win 2008 ser= ver and other multi core machines. Am I doing something wrongly? What is th= e best way to do this? To reproduce, you just have to create the files and run loop.bat. You shoul= d see the hang within 15-20 minutes. Following are the files I am using=20 ******** loop.bat ****** @echo off :loop tclsh 1.tcl goto loop ***************** Contents of file 1.tcl ***************** #!/bin/sh #DO NOT CHANGE THOSE 3 FIRST LINES \ exec tclsh $0 "$@" set status [catch { exec tclsh 2.tcl } outcmd] puts $outcmd exit 0 ******* Contents of file 2.tcl ***** #!/bin/sh #DO NOT CHANGE THOSE 3 FIRST LINES \ exec tclsh $0 "$@" set cmd1 "tclsh 6.tcl &" set cmd2 "tclsh 5.tcl &" set out1 "" set out2 "" proc isProcessDone { channel logText } { gets $channel currentline while {[eof $channel] =3D=3D 0} { set logText "$logText\n $currentline" gets $channel currentline } return $logText } puts "hi" set imChannel1 [open "| $cmd1"] puts "hi1 $imChannel1" set imChannel2 [open "| $cmd2"] puts...

Registration Open for 19th Annual Tcl/Tk Conference (Tcl'2012)
19th Annual Tcl/Tk Conference (Tcl'2012) http://www.tcl.tk/community/tcl2012/ November 12 - 16, 2012 Sessions: National Museum of Health and Medicine Chicago 175 W. Washington Chicago, IL 60602 Rooms: Holiday Inn Chicago Mart Plaza 350 West Mart Center Drive Chicago, Illinois, USA Map/Transport: https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=204739899073144451536.0004c144222a9036c99f6&msa=0&ll=41.885266,-87.633734&spn=0.008443,0.018818 http://wiki.tcl.tk/28843#pagetoca7e55932 I am pleased to announce that registration for the Conference is now open at http://www.tcl.tk/community/tcl2012/reg.html To book a room at the conference hotel at reduced rates please follow the instructions on that page. Note that the offer of reduced rates expires on October 20. Book early. Our schedule can be found at http://www.tcl.tk/community/tcl2012/schedule.html Conference Committee Clif Flynt Noumena Corp General Chair, Website Admin Andreas Kupries ActiveState Software Inc. Program Chair Cyndy Lilagan Nat. Museum of Health & Medicine, Chicago Site/Facilities Chair Arjen Markus Deltares Brian Griffin Mentor Graphics Donal Fellows University of Manchester Gerald Lester KnG Consulting, LLC Jeffrey Hobbs ActiveState Software Inc. Kevin Kenny GE Global Research Center Larry Virden Mike Doyle ...

Embedding Tcl/Tk windows in another application
Hi, I would like to use the -use option to wish, so that a C# application can open a window and that window then becomes populated by the Tcl/Tk application I have. I thought I would experiment first with wish itself, to see how this works out, but unfortunately, it does not work. Here are the details of my environment: - Windows XP - Tcl/Tk: 8.5.8 (but 8.4.19 and 8.6b1 give the same problems) I run the following small program: # chk.tcl -- # Check wish's functionality to embed into an existing window # toplevel .new -container 1 tkwait visibility .new exec wish -use [winfo id .new] -- chk2.tcl & The second program (chk2.tcl) is this: # chk2.tcl -- # Present a simple button # button .b -text Exit -command exit pack .b -fill both The effect of running the first one is that there appear two empty toplevel windows, but I do not see the button appear in the "new" window that should be created by "chk2.tcl". What am I doing wrong? Any suggestions for making this work or is this not possible on Windows? Regards, Arjen Στις 8/3/2012 14:18, ο/η Arjen Markus έγραψε: > Hi, > > I would like to use the -use option to wish, so that a C# application > can open a window and that window then becomes populated by the Tcl/Tk > application I have. > > I thought I would experiment first with wish itself, to see how this works > out, but unfortunately, it does not work. Here are the details of my > environment: > - ...

TCL\TK for Window XP 64 bit
Hello All, I support our ME applications, specifically Pro/ENGINEER (solid modeller). We had written a set of utilities for the tool using it's C based API. At the time these utilities were written the API provided no GUI support so we used the TCL/TK-C interface. Worked real nicely on 32 bit Windows. Now, our databases are growing to the point where it looks like moving to Windows XP 64 bit will be necessary. My question: Can I use the 32 bit TCL/TK libraries to recompile my apps, or must I compile from source to obtain 64 bit versions? Thanks, Ben Bailey Mechanical Engineering A...

Web resources about - Tcl/Tk hang on windows - comp.lang.tcl

The Windows Blog

'Please save my baby': dramatic footage as the man who caught baby dropped from burning apartment window ...
The mystery man who saved a newborn baby dropped by his mother out of a burning apartment window has been found, as dramatic footage sheds new ...

Apple confirms it will livestream March 21st event for iOS, Mac, Apple TV and Windows users
Apple has confirmed it will be livestreaming its just-announced March 21st media event , expected to feature several product unveilings including ...

Hands-On With the Android N Developer Beta: Multi-Window & More
Yesterday Google surprised a number of people by launching the developer beta of the next release of Android, which is codenamed Android N. Normally ...

Android N Multi-Window Includes Ability To Drag & Drop Text
Now that Android N is officially here in a preview form and everyone has had a chance to digest its arrival, the details on what is on offer ...

Best Windows apps this week
One-hundred and seventy-one in a series. Welcome to this week's overview of the best apps and games released for Windows 8.x and Windows 10 in ...

Microsoft is using an Internet Explorer security patch to shove more 'Upgrade to Windows 10' nagware ...
If you've got a Windows 7 or Windows 8x computer that is not owned and managed by your company, and you haven't upgraded it to Windows 10 yet, ...