Tcl/Tk on Mac OS X

I hope this isn't too vague a question, but I wonder if anyone can explain to me
why it is that some Tcl/Tk programs don't run properly under Mac OS X.
That is, I know that Tcl/Tk in principle works just fine on Macs, from people
I know who use Macs and from the wiki. I just wrote a program that runs fine
on my GNU/Linux system with Tcl/Tk 8.4. I sent it to a friend with a Mac.
He reports that he sees "several pastel-colored rectangles" (presumably
parts of windows) and then it just hangs. As far as I can see, the program
doesn't do anything likely to create portability issues. It doesn't use
a temporary directory, run child processes, muck around with pathnames, use
sockets or anything like that. I don't think that it encounters any of the
issues discussed on the wiki. So I wonder why it doesn't run under Mac OS X
just as it does under GNU/Linux.

--
Bill Poser, Linguistics, University of Pennsylvania
http://www.ling.upenn.edu/~wjposer/ billposer@alum.mit.edu

0
sw3259 (273)

TCL/TK Does not have serial port support API in Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger in a mac mini
Over the last couple of weeks I have been trying to figure out why I had no communications with a USB > Serial converter and tonight I discovered that there is no serial port support in the TCL/TK installed in MAC OS X 10.4 Mac mini. % fconfigure stdin -blocking 1 -buffering line -buffersize 4096 -encoding utf-8 -eofchar {} -translation auto I went to the Mac install on the CD-ROMs and found nothing on tcl/tk. What should I use to remove the old TCL/TK packages and install a better version? I found the aqua site tcl site and should I just install that full package binary and make the ch...

Mac OS X & tcl/tk...
Hi all, I am just wondering if anyone knows of or has compiled tk for Mac OS X the 'unix' way ie: not the tcl/tk Aqua and can help with compilling tk. As a side note, i have managed to get tcl installed, got some errors while running make test, but it 'seems' to ok so far. The error message that I'm getting while trying to compile is: pp-precomp: warning: errors during smart preprocessing, retrying in basic mode <built-in>:1:1: no macro name given in #define directive make: *** [tk3d.o] Error 1 Thanking you in advance. Shannon Shannon, In article <96e8bbb0.0308300056.26b0058e@posting.google.com>, Shannon Pasto <shannonp@wehi.edu.au> wrote: > Hi all, I am just wondering if anyone knows of or has compiled tk for > Mac OS X the 'unix' way ie: not the tcl/tk Aqua and can help with > compilling tk. I do this regularly without any problems, currently both HEAD and core-8-4-branch build fine for me on 10.2.6 and 10.3 with gcc 3.3 > As a side note, i have managed to get tcl installed, got some errors > while running make test, but it 'seems' to ok so far. most errors from 'make test' are really bugs in the testsuite, I currently have no serious failures from the tcl 'make test' on OS 10.2.6, for both HEAD and tip of core-8-4-branch. > The error message that I'm getting while trying to compile is: > > pp-precomp: warning: errors during smart preprocessing, retrying in > ba...

Tcl/Tk problems on Mac OS X
The program I asked about is rather long, but here is a stripped down version consisting of just the GUI. Under GNU/Linux it creates the non-popup windows, and sets up the menus. With the exception of "Quit", the commands have been removed. My friend with the Mac says that when he tries to run it it fails in exactly the same way as the full program, that is, he sees some pastel-colored rectangles and then it hangs. encoding system utf-8 package require msgcat proc _ {s} {return [::msgcat::mc $s]}; # Define shorthand for gettext # Use a virtual event for the right mouse button and # define it differently on the Mac. switch $tcl_platform(platform) { unix - windows { event add <<B3>> <ButtonPress-3> } macintosh { event add <<B3>> <Control-ButtonPress-1> } } set MainFontSize 12; set MainFontFamily Courier; font create MainFont -family $MainFontFamily -size $MainFontSize; font create BalloonHelpFont -family lucida -size 13 -weight normal; set ColorSpecs(cdb,-bg) "\#DDDDFF"; set ColorSpecs(cdt,-bg) "\#e9c4dc"; set ColorSpecs(cdx,-bg) "\#e9c4dc"; set ColorSpecs(gen,-bg) "\#c36176"; set ColorSpecs(.menubar,-bg) "\#c36176"; set ColorSpecs(.menubar,-fg) "\#fee4a9"; set ColorSpecs(.msg,-bg) "\#e9c4dc"; set ColorSpecs(.msg,-fg) "\#000000"; set ColorSpecs(txt,-bg) "\#FFDDDD"; set ColorSpecs(tr,-bg) "...

Tcl/Tk on Mac OS X: LoadError
Hello. I have a problem with Tcl/Tk in OS X, each time i try requiring tk, i get this: irb(main):001:0> require 'tk' LoadError: no such file to load -- tk from (irb):1:in `require' from (irb):1 irb(main):002:0> I am positive that I have Tcl/Tk installed - i've installed the binary from ActiveState and I've tried compiling Ruby 1.8.6 myself and I've tried installing it with MacPorts, but nonetheless it doesn't work. I've tried ./configure with --enable-mac-tcltk-framework but it seems that nothing works. I've also tried tclsh and wis...

What and Where do Mac OS X Users Download TCL/TK at?
I'm thinking that it is TCL/TK aqua, but I need to make sure to point users in the right direction. TIA. Keith Keith wrote: > I'm thinking that it is TCL/TK aqua, but I need to make sure to > point users in the right direction. > > TIA. > > Keith > A pretty complete version of Tcl/Tk Aqua comes installed on OS X 10.4 ("Tiger"). For a larger distribution, see http://tcltkaqua.sourceforge.net or http://www.activestate.com. -- Cheers, Kevin Walzer, PhD WordTech Software - "Tame the Terminal" http://www.wordtech-software.com sw at wordtech-software.com I use the ActiveTcl version so I am in synch with my Windows install. I have had no problems using it. It install in /usr/local/bin and it has a good uninstaller as well. Robert ...

Commercial Tcl/Tk applications on Mac OS X
I've recently moved the focus of my development work from open-source/freeware to commercial/shareware applications on Mac OS X. As such, I'm looking to compile a list of commercial Tcl/Tk apps that are supported on this platform--to get a sense of best Tcl/Tk practices with GUI on the Mac, and also to see what's available. By necessity, commercial applications have to place a higher focus on GUI polish than open-source freeware apps do, which is why I'm interested in seeing what's out there. I focus on Mac development, so I'm including cross-platform apps with Mac versions, but not commercial Tcl/Tk apps that don't support the Mac. Here's what I've found so far: * Various apps from ActiveState (http://www.activestate.com)--the Komodo IDE includes a GUI builder written in Tcl/Tk, while ActivePerl's package manager is written in Perl/Tk with Tile * BitRock Installbuilder (http://www.bitrock.com)--cross-platform software installer * Mark Roseman's Project Forum/CourseForum (http://www.projectforum.com)--collaboration/wiki software * Michael Kirkham's MIB Smithy and MIBViews (http://www.muonics.com)--SNMP tools * Similustics' Simile (http://www.simulistics.com)--decision-modeling tools * Alpha Tk by Vince Darley (http://www.santafe.edu/~vince/Alphatk.html)--powerful text editor written in pure Tcl/Tk * Ac3d (http://ac3d.org)--3D modeling tools My own apps could also be added to this list, as they are all now shareware. What...

what version Tcl and Tk comes with Mac OS X Leopard

Ann: Tcl/Tk "Universal" packages for Mac OS X
I've packaged "universal" installers of Tcl/Tk for Mac OS X (both the Aqua and X11 variants), and the Tile theming extension, for use on Mac OS X's PPC and Intel architectures. These builds are based on Tcl/Tk 8.4.13. Downloads and more information can be found at http://tk-components.sourceforge.net/installer/ Thanks. -- Kevin Walzer Poetic Code http://www.kevin-walzer.com ...

Ruby 1.8.0 and Mac OS X and Tcl/Tk 8.4 Aqua (not!)
My trials with Ruby and Tcl/Tk on Mac OS X Ruby is 1.8.0 preview 7 Tcl/Tk 8.4 is the recent TclTk-Aqua build for that native OSX Aqua look Mac OS X is 10.2.3 (1) 'configure' wasn't finding Tcl/Tk, so I hacked up an OSX-only version of ext/tcltklib/extconf.rb with hard-coded parameters (which might be OK because of the frameworks) ========= # extconf.rb for tcltklib # HACKED for Mac OS X !!! require 'mkmf' if RUBY_PLATFORM !~ /mswin32|mingw|cygwin|bccwin32/ have_library("nsl", "t_open") have_library("socket&q...

ANN: aem 1.0, a lightweight mechanism for Tcl/Tk applications on Mac OS X to respond to Apple Events
I have just released aem 1.0, a lightweight mechanism for Tcl/Tk applications on Mac OS X to respond to Apple Events. This package allows Tcl/Tk applications on Mac OS X to respond to arbitrary Apple Events, the Mac's system-level application IPC protocol. The Apple Events mechanism allows Mac applications to script other applications using the AppleScript language--to query them for data, execute commands, and similar functions--in a manner similar to COM scripting on Windows and shell scripting on Unix. The package differs from an older Apple Events package, TclAE (htt...

ANN:Fve Ver5.2 (Editor for "Mac OS X"/Cygwin/Unix/Windows) Tcl/Tk script
Fve Ver5.2 (Editor for "Mac OS X"/Cygwin/Unix/Windows) Tcl/Tk script (File Viewer Editor_Version Fve 5.2) http://www.ne.jp/asahi/kazuo/sasagawa/ For Tcl/Tk 8.4,8.5: TclTkAqua 8.4: Tcl/Tk-cygwin 8.4. Please use ActiveTcl 8.4.18 binary packages or "TclTkAqua 8.4.10 binary packages". *Changes(Version5.2) 1 Added a "Customizing key bingings" item to Tools_Menu. 2 Added several bindings for Mac OS X. Command-a -> Select all Command-c -> Copy Command-e -> Use Selection for Find Command-f -> Find Command-g -> Find Next Command-i -> Insert-mode or Over_write-mode Toggle switch Command-n -> New Buffer Command-s -> Save Shift-Command-s -> Save As Command-v -> Paste Command-w -> Close current buffer Command-x -> Cut Command-z -> Undo Shift-Command-z -> Redo Command-? -> Help Command-+ -> Increase Font Size Command-- -> Decrease Font Size 3 Added a "append mode" checkbutton to the bottom Menu line. When the checkbutton is ON, the selected file is appended to the end of current buffer. 4 Added a "Unpack append_mode_CheckButton"_CheckButton to View_Menu. 5 Added a "Select a Menubar background color" command to View_Menu. (UNIX,WINDOWS) 6 Added "Edit" Menu.install.txt "Undo" "Redo" -------------------- "Cut" "Copy" "Paste" "Select All" *Overview ...

Hi all, Yet another Graphviz version. The old application icon had been voted off the island, and brand new application and document icons flown in for the task. Comprehensive help features in this version too. http://www.pixelglow.com/graphviz/ What's new: ------------ Added new application and document icons. Added comprehensive help. Fixed changes not affecting graph size displaying incorrectly [BTr]. Fixed export then close crashing the export of an open window. Improved shadowed frame for graph [NRi]. Improved status display [NRi]. Changed sources to pure BSD license. Cheers, Glen Low --- pixelglow software | simply brilliant stuff www.pixelglow.com ...

Dear All: Them pesky bugs. A few more squashed courtesy of the sleepy pixel. http://www.pixelglow.com/graphviz/ What's new in v11 ------------ Fixed some comprehensive help [NRi]. Fixed scale option placeholder [NRi]. Improved application and document icons. Example files now double-click to open in application. What's new in v12 ------------ Added layout option tooltips [NRi]. Fixed layout popup button changing wrong graph [MKe]. Clicking on warning icon now opens Activity window [NRi, AM]. Revert menu item now disabled. Cheers, Glen Low --- pixelglow software | simply brilliant stuff www.pixelglow.com ...

Wrapping Tcl into Mac OS X executibles?
Hi guys. Well, I have three apps coming up to a v1.0 release soon and I'd like to release to the main platforms simultaneously. ActiveState's TclApp does me fine for creating stand-alone executibles for Windows and Linux. But Mac's the missing link. As mine are commercial apps, the ability to 'compile' the Tcl code to limit code snooping is essential for me. What are people currently using to convert their Tcl apps into Mac executibles? Cheers. Synic wrote: > Hi guys. > > Well, I have three apps coming up to a v1.0 release soon and I'd > like to release to the main platforms simultaneously. ActiveState's > TclApp does me fine for creating stand-alone executibles for Windows > and Linux. But Mac's the missing link. > > As mine are commercial apps, the ability to 'compile' the Tcl code to > limit code snooping is essential for me. What are people currently > using to convert their Tcl apps into Mac executibles? > > Cheers. > I wrap mine in a starpack and then put the whole thing in an application bundle. Or you can just organize the scripts into the application bundle itself. Mac OS X 10.4 comes with Tcl/Tk installed and includes tbcload, so you can even obfuscate your code. See http://tk-components.sourceforge.net/tk-bundle-tutorial/index.html for details. -- Kevin Walzer Poetic Code http://www.kevin-walzer.com In article <44E45991.1010107@kevin-walzer.com>, Kevin Walzer ...

PDF to EPS workarounds for Mac OS X Attention TeXy, TeXy peoples: PDF to EPS workarounds for Mac OS X Attention TeXy, TeXy peoples: PDF to EPS workarounds for Mac OS X Attention TeXy, TeXy
Attention TeXy, TeXy peoples: (excuse the mispronunciation; punny licence) It seems that Mac OS X has partially documented issues (http://altair.ific.uv.es/~JaxoDraw/Bugparade/bugparade.htm, http://developer.apple.com/java/faq/issues.html#anchor6) with the generation of EPS, and I'm trying to find a workaround. The Preview application cannot export to eps, but it can read it (converting it to PDF). If I use Adobe Acrobat to read the PDF generated by Preview, the EPS it generates sometimes (inconsistently) causes dvips to make an unreadable file. What I'm trying to do is the following: I made a large figure with about 50 images (EPS images generated by Mathematica, with labels) all in a nice 'tabular' array, using LaTeX and dvips. I'm too incompetent/lazy to center the image correctly, so I tell dvips to make an oversized output (30 cm by 30 cm) and then I crop it in Preview. Then, I save the image in Preview as a PDF, open the PDF in Acrobat, and export to EPS. Sometimes this works, but in this case, no. Sometimes if I open the EPS (again!) in Preview, save as PDF (again!), and convert to EPS from Adobe (again...) this makes a file that LaTeX, dvips, and Preview (or ghostview) happily process. I mention this not to impress all with my willingness to mindlessly tinker, but rather because it seems to hint that something toxic can be dropped/broken from the EPS with repeated reconversions. You've probably guessed that I should just place the large f...

Is tcl exec function supported under Mac OS X?
I've always read in the documentation about tcl at http://www.tcl.tk/man/tcl8.3/TclCmd/contents.htm that exec (as well as pipes) are not implemented for Mac OS platforms. I was recently trying tclsh under Darwin and to my surprise exec calls seemed to work. Could someone please confirm whether exec is supported in the new tcl/tk Aqua packages maintained by sourceforge at http://tcltkaqua.sourceforge.net/ / Karl Karl D wrote: > I've always read in the documentation about tcl at > http://www.tcl.tk/man/tcl8.3/TclCmd/contents.htm > that exec (as well as pipes) are not implemented > for Mac OS platforms. > I was recently trying tclsh under Darwin and to > my surprise exec calls seemed to work. Could someone > please confirm whether exec is supported in the new > tcl/tk Aqua packages maintained by sourceforge at > http://tcltkaqua.sourceforge.net/ exec works fine on OS X, not on Mac Classic. -- Jeff Hobbs, The Tcl Guy http://www.ActiveState.com/, a division of Sophos Jeff Hobbs <jeffh@removethis.activestate.com> wrote in message news:<4169FBB7.6080502@removethis.activestate.com>... > Karl D wrote: > > I've always read in the documentation about tcl at > > http://www.tcl.tk/man/tcl8.3/TclCmd/contents.htm > > that exec (as well as pipes) are not implemented > > for Mac OS platforms. > > I was recently trying tclsh under Darwin and to > > my surprise exec calls seemed to work. Co...

How I got Tcl/Tk working with Ruby on OS X
In case anyone is having trouble with this: Download the source for Tcl 8.4.16, Tk 8.4.16, and Ruby 1.8.6. Rename the source directories to tcl, tk, and ruby. cd tcl/macosx ../configure make >& make.log sudo make install cd tk/macosx ../configure make >& make.log sudo make install cd ruby ../configure --enable-tcltk-framework --with-tcltk-framework=/Library/ Frameworks --with-tcl-framework-header=/Library/Frameworks/ Tcl.framework/Headers --with-tk-framework-header=/Library/Frameworks/ Tk.framework/Headers --enable-pthread make >& make.log sudo make install Phil <...

Anyone knows of a Tcl port to Palm Os 5.x ? ( palm-tcl no longer supported )
Hi Guys, Is therea tcl port to the current Plam OS ? I believe palm-tcl is no longer supported :( Regards, Sean - HeliHobby.com According to <born2net@sbcglobal.net>: :Hi Guys, :Is therea tcl port to the current Plam OS ? :I believe palm-tcl is no longer supported :( Which one of these palm tcls do you mean? What: Palm Tcl Where: <URL: http://palm-tcl.sf.net/ > <URL: http://home.earthlink.net/%7Eashoknadkarni/ > Description: Port of most of Tcl 7.6 to PalmOS. Includes support for PalmOS features such as user interface elements (title bars, menus, labels, text fields, lists, buttons of various types, checkboxes, selector triggers, popup triggers, time/date selectors, tables), database support (creation, deletion, update, listing), system functions (sound, clipboard, launching apps, system event handling), etc. Currently at version 0.4 . Updated: 01/2002 Contact: <URL: mailto:palmtcl@yahoo.com > What: PalmTcl Where: <URL: http://www.patentburner.com/%7Eovercode/PalmTcl-test.tar.gz > ??? <URL: http://sf.net/projects/palmtcl/ > Description: Port of Tcl to PalmOS. Updated: 05/2001 Contact: <URL: mailto:overcode@cc.gatech.edu > (John R. Hall) What: Toucan Where: <URL: http://sf.net/projects/toucan/ > <URL: http://home.attbi.com/%7Emaccody/ > Description: Integrated development environment for developing Palm Tcl applications on the desktop. The idea is that you develop the applications on the d...

Mac OS 9.x included in Mac OS X?
Hi, I read that Mac OS X has a so-called classic mode which emulates Mac OS 9.x so that older applications can still be run. Provided one is not an upgrader from Mac OS 9.x, does Mac OS X include Mac OS 9.x required for the classic mode or does it have to be bought separately? Peter >Provided one is not an upgrader from Mac OS 9.x, does Mac OS X include >Mac OS 9.x required for the classic mode or does it have to be bought >separately? If you buy the installer for OS X it *does not* include OS 9. You generally use the copy of OS 9 that came with your computer in order to install C...

Mac OS X & Mac OS X Server
Hi, I'm currently using a 9i developer release on Mac OS X (10.3) which has proved very stable so far. My understanding of the various Oracle press releases is that 10G will be released for Mac OS X, are there any beta testers out there wiling to comment on availabilitu/quality/performance issues for 10G on Mac OS X? Another question is whether tools such as the OEM will be available in 10G for Mac OS X, does anybody know? Yours in anticipation! Steve Steve <steve@nospam.com> wrote in message news:<2004013008345616807%steve@nospamcom>... > releases is that 10G wil...

Tcl 8.5.2 version conflict on Mac OS X
Hi, I just tried to compile 8.5.2 on Mac OSX, and install it. Below is the error I get when I try to start tclsh8.5. [set tcl_patchLevel] shows also that it would be 8.5.1. What is up here, do others have the same problem? I should add that I installed ActiveTcl 8.5.2 before, and it worked. But normally it should not be a problem to overwrite this installation with another, self compiled. I have done this before without any problems... Thanks in advance Eckhard. $ /usr/local/bin/tclsh8.5 application-specific initialization failed: Can't find a usable init.tcl in the following directories: /Library/Frameworks/Tcl.framework/Versions/8.5/Resources/Scripts /usr/local/lib/tcl8.5 /usr/lib/tcl8.5 /usr/local/library /usr/library /usr/tcl8.5.1/library /tcl8.5.1/library /Library/Frameworks/Tcl.framework/Versions/8.5/Resources/Scripts/init.tcl: version conflict for package "Tcl": have 8.5.1, need exactly 8.5.2 version conflict for package "Tcl": have 8.5.1, need exactly 8.5.2 while executing "package require -exact Tcl 8.5.2" (file "/Library/Frameworks/Tcl.framework/Versions/8.5/Resources/Scripts/init.tcl" line 20) invoked from within "source /Library/Frameworks/Tcl.framework/Versions/8.5/Resources/Scripts/init.tcl" ("uplevel" body line 1) invoked from within "uplevel #0 [list source $tclfile]" /usr/local/lib/tcl8.5/init.tcl: version conflict for package "Tcl&...

Hi. Someone told me that Mac OS X 10.7.x and 10.8.x do not come with iLife like the older Mac OS X versions (e.g., 10.5.x). I did not know this! Since my client uses iPhoto that came preinstalled on his old 2008 MacBook Pro's Mac OS X 10.5.x (10.5.8 right now), can he use the old one from 10.5.8? Or will he need a third party replacement (needs to import/copy the old image files) or buy a new iPhoto version for his photo(graph)s? I recalled he did not like iPhoto and wonder if the new one is any better. Thank you in advance. :) -- Quote of the Week: "Every ruler sleeps on an anthill." --Afghani /\___/\ Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site) / /\ /\ \ Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net | |o o| | \ _ / Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail. If crediting, ( ) then please kindly use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link. On 2012-09-21 3:05 PM ANTant@zimage.com (Ant) wrote: > Hi. > > Someone told me that Mac OS X 10.7.x and 10.8.x do not come with iLife > like the older Mac OS X versions (e.g., 10.5.x). I did not know this! > Since my client uses iPhoto that came preinstalled on his old 2008 > MacBook Pro's Mac OS X 10.5.x (10.5.8 right now), can he use the old one > from 10.5.8? Or will he need a third party replacement (needs to > import/copy the old image files) or buy a new iPhoto version for his > photo(graph)s? I rec...

Web resources about - Tcl/Tk on Mac OS X - comp.lang.tcl

Tcl - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is missing information about Tcl procedures, procedure calls, and conditional statements . Please expand the article to include ...

Kyocera TCL Solar Inaugurates Floating Mega Solar Power Plants in Hyogo Prefecture, Japan - YouTube
Kyocera Corporation and Century Tokyo Leasing Corporation announced today that Kyocera TCL Solar LLC, a joint venture established by the two ...

Hands on: Ultra HD TCL 65-inch television
Is it worth paying for extra pixels when you can't put them to good use?

Hands on: Ultra HD TCL 65-inch television
Is it worth paying for extra pixels when you can't put them to good use?

Iron Man Joins TCL To Challenge Apple iPhone: China, Chinese Market
To take on Apple and Samsung in the global smartphone market, China's TCL is enlisting a strong ally: Iron Man.

正反之间心随由你 TCL idol3真机图赏
... 注册 首页 - 资讯中心 评测 导购 行情 - 手机大全 品牌 排行 - 应用之家 主题 壁纸 铃声 - 美人心机 唯丽是图 专题汇总 - 论坛 求助 活动 图赏频道 搜索 图赏首页 手机图赏 平板图赏 美人心机 手机之家 > 资讯中心 > 图赏频道 > 正反之间心随由你 TCL ...

Rumors State That TCL Could Be Looking To Buy Or Invest In HTC
You might not have heard of TCL. They’re the twenty fifth largest electronics manufacturer in the world, the third largest television manufacturer, ...

TCL Communications, SunPartner Testing Technology That Could Draw Solar Power Via A Smartphone's Screen ...
Smartphones are awesome, but with a few notable exceptions, it seems their awesomeness is inversely correlated with their battery life. The more ...

1070:Hong Kong Stock Quote - TCL Multimedia Technology Holdings Ltd - Bloomberg
Stock analysis for TCL Multimedia Technology Holdings Ltd (1070:Hong Kong) including stock price, stock chart, company news, key statistics, ...

Cisco, TCL joint venture to focus on cloud in China
Cisco, TCL joint venture to focus on cloud in China Business Cloud News Networking incumbent Cisco is to set up a joint venture company with ...