Tcl/Tk problems on Mac OS X

The program I asked about is rather long, but here is a stripped down version
consisting of just the GUI. Under GNU/Linux it creates the non-popup windows,
and sets up the menus. With the exception of "Quit", the commands have been
removed. My friend with the Mac says that when he tries to run it it fails
in exactly the same way as the full program, that is, he sees some pastel-colored
rectangles and then it hangs.

encoding system utf-8
package require msgcat
proc _ {s} {return [::msgcat::mc $s]};	# Define shorthand for gettext

# Use a virtual event for the right mouse button and
# define it differently on the Mac.
switch $tcl_platform(platform) {
    unix - windows {
	event add <<B3>> <ButtonPress-3>
    }
    macintosh {
	event add <<B3>> <Control-ButtonPress-1>
    }
}

set MainFontSize 12;
set MainFontFamily Courier;
font create MainFont -family $MainFontFamily -size $MainFontSize;
font create BalloonHelpFont  -family lucida -size 13 -weight normal;

set ColorSpecs(cdb,-bg)	 		"\#DDDDFF";
set ColorSpecs(cdt,-bg)	 		"\#e9c4dc";
set ColorSpecs(cdx,-bg)	 		"\#e9c4dc";
set ColorSpecs(gen,-bg)	 		"\#c36176";
set ColorSpecs(.menubar,-bg)	 	"\#c36176";
set ColorSpecs(.menubar,-fg)		"\#fee4a9";
set ColorSpecs(.msg,-bg) 		"\#e9c4dc";
set ColorSpecs(.msg,-fg) 		"\#000000";
set ColorSpecs(txt,-bg)	 		"\#FFDDDD";
set ColorSpecs(tr,-bg)	 		"\#DDDDFF";
set ColorSpecs(.ipaentry,-bg)		"\#FFFFFF";
set ColorSpecs(.ipaentry,-fg)		"\#000000";
set ColorSpecs(ipaheadings,-bg)		"\#09ffb2";

proc ShutDown {} {
    exit 0;
}

proc SetBoth {a b} {
    .cf.sbarleft  set $a $b;
    .cf.sbarright set $a $b;
}

proc YViewBoth {args} {
    set ac [llength $args];
    set a  [lindex $args 0]
    set b  [lindex $args 1]
    if {$ac == 3} {
	set c  [lindex $args 2]
	.cf.inp yview $a $b $c;
	.cf.out yview $a $b $c;
    } else {
	.cf.inp yview $a $b;
	.cf.out yview $a $b;
    }
}

set MainWidth 30;
set MainHeight 10;
frame .top
set m [menu .menubar -tearoff 0  -bg $ColorSpecs(.menubar,-bg)\
	   -fg $ColorSpecs(.menubar,-fg) -font MainFont]
$m add cascade -label [_ "File"]   -menu [menu $m.file];
$m.file add command -label [_ "Load Input Text"] -command LoadInputText
$m.file add command -label [_ "Save Output Text"] -command SaveOutput
$m.file add separator
$m.file add command -label [_ "Read Transliteration"] -command ReadTransliterationFile;
$m.file add command -label [_ "Save Transliteration"] -command SaveTransliteration
$m.file add separator
$m.file add command -label [_ "Quit"]  -command ShutDown
$m add command -label [_ "Transliterate"]  -command Transliterate;
$m add command -label [_ "Clear Input"]  -command ClearInputText;
$m add command -label [_ "Clear Transliteration"]  -command ClearTransliteration;
$m add cascade -label [_ "Configure"]   -menu [menu $m.configure];
$m.configure add command -label [_ "Disable Irritating Balloon Help"] -command ToggleBalloonHelp;
$m add cascade -label [_ "Help"]   -menu [menu $m.help];
$m.help add command -label [_ "Bug Reports"] -command BugReports;
$m.help add command -label [_ "How To Use This Program"] -command HowTo;
$m.help add command -label [_ "Key Bindings"] -command DescribeKeyBindings;
$m.help add command -label [_ "License"] -command ShowGPL;
.. configure -menu .menubar

text .msg -bg $ColorSpecs(.msg,-bg) -fg $ColorSpecs(.msg,-fg) -height 2\
    -relief sunken -font MainFont
pack .msg -side top -expand 0 -fill x;

frame .cf
scrollbar .cf.sbarleft  -command {YViewBoth} -troughcolor $ColorSpecs(tr,-bg) -bg $ColorSpecs(tr,-bg) -activebackground $ColorSpecs(tr,-bg);
scrollbar .cf.sbarright -command {YViewBoth} -troughcolor $ColorSpecs(tr,-bg) -bg $ColorSpecs(tr,-bg) -activebackground $ColorSpecs(tr,-bg);
text .cf.inp  -yscrollcommand {SetBoth} -width $MainWidth -height $MainHeight  -bg $ColorSpecs(tr,-bg);
text .cf.out  -yscrollcommand {SetBoth} -width $MainWidth -height $MainHeight -bg $ColorSpecs(tr,-bg);
pack .cf -expand 1 -fill both
pack .cf.sbarleft  -side left    -expand 0 -fill y
pack .cf.sbarright -side right   -expand 0 -fill y
pack .cf.inp     -side left    -expand 1 -fill both
pack .cf.out    -side right   -expand 1 -fill both

frame .tif
frame .tof
text .tif.inp -yscrollcommand {.tif.isbar set}  -height 10 -bg $ColorSpecs(txt,-bg);
text .tof.out -yscrollcommand {.tof.osbar set}  -height 10 -bg $ColorSpecs(txt,-bg);
scrollbar .tif.isbar -command {.tif.inp yview}  -troughcolor $ColorSpecs(txt,-bg) -bg $ColorSpecs(txt,-bg)  -activebackground $ColorSpecs(txt,-bg);
scrollbar .tof.osbar -command {.tof.out yview}  -troughcolor $ColorSpecs(txt,-bg) -bg $ColorSpecs(txt,-bg)  -activebackground $ColorSpecs(txt,-bg);
pack .tif.isbar -side right  -expand 0 -fill y
pack .tif.inp -side left -expand 1 -fill both
pack .tof.osbar -side right -expand 0 -fill y
pack .tof.out -side left -expand 1 -fill both

pack .cf  -in .top -side top
pack .tof -in .top -side bottom -expand 1 -fill both;
pack .tif -in .top -side bottom -expand 1 -fill both;
pack .top -expand 1 -fill both

..cf.inp configure -state normal
..cf.out configure -state normal
..tif.inp configure -state disabled
..tof.out configure -state disabled

after idle {
    update idletasks
    set w [winfo reqwidth  .]
    set h [winfo reqheight .]
    wm minsize  . $w $h
}
--
Bill Poser, Linguistics, University of Pennsylvania
http://www.ling.upenn.edu/~wjposer/ billposer@alum.mit.edu

0
sw3259 (273)
4/17/2005 11:31:32 PM
Right, the code I included just sets up a bunch of windows and a menu.
The functionality all results from entering text in the top two windows
and executing commands, and I omitted all that stuff. The problem that
my friend is having on the Mac is that, after a long time and a lot of
CPU activity, he just gets a sort of coarse representation of the windows.
You can't see the menu buttons, much less invoke them, and you can't
enter text where you should be able to. I've put the screenshot he sent me
(for some reason as a PDF - only 30K so don't be shy) at:

http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~wjposer/xl00.pdf

It now appears that the problem is that he hasn't got X11 installed.
Another friend, who has X11 running under Mac OS 10.3, is having no problem
running my tcl/tk programs. I am curious, though, why one gets just
this much functionality without X11.

Bill

--
Bill Poser, Linguistics, University of Pennsylvania
http://www.ling.upenn.edu/~wjposer/ billposer@alum.mit.edu
0
wjposer (71)
4/18/2005 3:11:43 AM

William J Poser wrote:
| Right, the code I included just sets up a bunch of windows and a menu.
| The functionality all results from entering text in the top two windows
| and executing commands, and I omitted all that stuff. The problem that
| my friend is having on the Mac is that, after a long time and a lot of
| CPU activity, he just gets a sort of coarse representation of the windows.
| You can't see the menu buttons, much less invoke them, and you can't
| enter text where you should be able to. I've put the screenshot he sent me
| (for some reason as a PDF - only 30K so don't be shy) at:
|
| http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~wjposer/xl00.pdf
|
| It now appears that the problem is that he hasn't got X11 installed.
| Another friend, who has X11 running under Mac OS 10.3, is having no
problem
| running my tcl/tk programs. I am curious, though, why one gets just
| this much functionality without X11.
|

| Bill

Bill,

Your description wasn't very helpful--sorry about that--so I just
tracked down the program in question via Google and downloaded the whole
thing. It seems to run fine in the Aqua environment. I don't know what
trouble your friend was having, nor do I know why the GUI code you sent
me yielded the funny-looking color pastiche. Caveat: I ran the program
by cd'ing to the  folder where it was untarred and just typed "wish
redet.tcl" in the console.

Here's a screen shot:

http://www.wordtech-software.com/redet.jpg

Basically, if users run "wish /path/to/redet.tcl," I think they should
be fine.

A couple of other suggestions: since this is pure Tcl, have you thought
about wrapping it as a starkit? Those run fine on the Mac and they can
be double-clicked.

Finally, I've put together a tutorial on packaging Tcl apps on the Mac
with a shiny icon:

http://www.wordtech-software.com/tcl-bundle-tutorial.html

Hope this helps.

- --
Cheers,

Kevin Walzer, PhD
WordTech Software--Open Source Applications and Packages for OS X
http://www.wordtech-software.com
http://www.smallbizmac.com
http://www.kevin-walzer.com
mailto:sw@wordtech-software.com
0
sw3259 (273)
4/18/2005 3:54:16 AM
0
sw3259 (273)
4/18/2005 4:15:44 AM
Many thanks for the various pointers. I have heard of Starkits and in fact
downloaded the necessary files a couple days ago but haven't yet learned
how to make them.

 Actually, the program I was asking about
is not redet. That is, a similar issue arises with redet, in that some people
have had trouble getting it to work on Macs, but the  code I gave is from something
else that I haven't distributed. It is something that I wrote yesterday in response to a
friend's request. When I sent it to him, he encountered the problem I described.

What seems to be going on is that my tcl/tk programs run on the Mac if X11 is installed,
but do not run properly using the native Aqua implementation.  Did you (Kevin Walzer)
run redet successfully without X11?

Bill

--
Bill Poser, Linguistics, University of Pennsylvania
http://www.ling.upenn.edu/~wjposer/ billposer@alum.mit.edu
0
wjposer (71)
4/18/2005 5:41:37 AM
Hello Bill, Kevin, et al.

I have run the script Bill posted at the start of this thread on my MacOS X
10.2.8 system (without X11), using Tcl/Tk 8.4.9, about which I can make the
following observations.

I double-click the Wish Shell icon and use the "Source" menu command to
source the script: the script appears to hang, as described by Bill's
friend.

I launch the script and Wish together by typing "wish filename" in the
Terminal application: the script appears to run OK, after a hiccough.  When
it first appears, the main window shimmers, as if it is constantly re-sizing
itself.  If I manually catch hold of the re-size handle and adjust its size
slightly, the shimmer ceases.

In the first case, it is noticeable that the main window is also shimmering,
but it is not possible to adjust the size manually, hence the application
remains hung.

Running the script on Windows XP, I can see that the scrollbars are arranged
differently, and that some extra menu items are present.

I will send these observations to mac-tcl list, in the hope of obtaining
further insight.

If I get more time to investigate, I will look more closely at the packing
of the scrollbars.

Best wishes,
Alastair Davies

Tcl/Tk on Mac OS X

Ann: Tcl/Tk "Universal" packages for Mac OS X
I've packaged "universal" installers of Tcl/Tk for Mac OS X (both the Aqua and X11 variants), and the Tile theming extension, for use on Mac OS X's PPC and Intel architectures. These builds are based on Tcl/Tk 8.4.13. Downloads and more information can be found at http://tk-components.sourceforge.net/installer/ Thanks. -- Kevin Walzer Poetic Code http://www.kevin-walzer.com ...

Strange Problem with ActiveState Tcl 8.4 in MAC OS X 10.4
http://home.comcast.net/~kilowattradio/tcltkmac_osx1.jpg http://home.comcast.net/~kilowattradio/tcltkmac_osx2.jpg In Mac OS X 10.4.11 I am having a problem with ActiveTCl's 8.4 graying out certain .TCL files when I try to select a source file when running wish in the GUI. Please see the links above to see the grayed out file names. I am trying to load bcd396t.tcl source file but that is grayed out. I have tried changing the first few lines of the file that had some bash scripting in them. And translated the text from mac to unix and even tried windows code with the same results. It seems to occur after I edit a .tcl file and save it. The other normal tcl files that I can select have not been edited. If I run the bcd396t.tcl file from /usr/local/bin/wish bcd396t.tcl it works fine and there are no errors. I don't have any problems in Win32 XP/Vista or Linux Fedora/Ubuntu either. I just can't figure out what is graying out the file on Mac OS X. Does anyone have any ideas? -- Best Regards, Keith kilowattradio at gmail.com Keith wrote: > http://home.comcast.net/~kilowattradio/tcltkmac_osx1.jpg > http://home.comcast.net/~kilowattradio/tcltkmac_osx2.jpg > > In Mac OS X 10.4.11 I am having a problem with ActiveTCl's > 8.4 graying out certain .TCL files when I try to select > a source file when running wish in the GUI. > > Please see the links above to see the grayed out file names. > > I am trying to load bcd396...

Ruby 1.8.0 and Mac OS X and Tcl/Tk 8.4 Aqua (not!)
My trials with Ruby and Tcl/Tk on Mac OS X Ruby is 1.8.0 preview 7 Tcl/Tk 8.4 is the recent TclTk-Aqua build for that native OSX Aqua look Mac OS X is 10.2.3 (1) 'configure' wasn't finding Tcl/Tk, so I hacked up an OSX-only version of ext/tcltklib/extconf.rb with hard-coded parameters (which might be OK because of the frameworks) ========= # extconf.rb for tcltklib # HACKED for Mac OS X !!! require 'mkmf' if RUBY_PLATFORM !~ /mswin32|mingw|cygwin|bccwin32/ have_library("nsl", "t_open") have_library("socket&q...

ANN: aem 1.0, a lightweight mechanism for Tcl/Tk applications on Mac OS X to respond to Apple Events
I have just released aem 1.0, a lightweight mechanism for Tcl/Tk applications on Mac OS X to respond to Apple Events. This package allows Tcl/Tk applications on Mac OS X to respond to arbitrary Apple Events, the Mac's system-level application IPC protocol. The Apple Events mechanism allows Mac applications to script other applications using the AppleScript language--to query them for data, execute commands, and similar functions--in a manner similar to COM scripting on Windows and shell scripting on Unix. The package differs from an older Apple Events package, TclAE (htt...

ANN:Fve Ver5.2 (Editor for "Mac OS X"/Cygwin/Unix/Windows) Tcl/Tk script
Fve Ver5.2 (Editor for "Mac OS X"/Cygwin/Unix/Windows) Tcl/Tk script (File Viewer Editor_Version Fve 5.2) http://www.ne.jp/asahi/kazuo/sasagawa/ For Tcl/Tk 8.4,8.5: TclTkAqua 8.4: Tcl/Tk-cygwin 8.4. Please use ActiveTcl 8.4.18 binary packages or "TclTkAqua 8.4.10 binary packages". *Changes(Version5.2) 1 Added a "Customizing key bingings" item to Tools_Menu. 2 Added several bindings for Mac OS X. Command-a -> Select all Command-c -> Copy Command-e -> Use Selection for Find Command-f -> Find Command-g -> Find Next Command-i -> Insert-mode or Over_write-mode Toggle switch Command-n -> New Buffer Command-s -> Save Shift-Command-s -> Save As Command-v -> Paste Command-w -> Close current buffer Command-x -> Cut Command-z -> Undo Shift-Command-z -> Redo Command-? -> Help Command-+ -> Increase Font Size Command-- -> Decrease Font Size 3 Added a "append mode" checkbutton to the bottom Menu line. When the checkbutton is ON, the selected file is appended to the end of current buffer. 4 Added a "Unpack append_mode_CheckButton"_CheckButton to View_Menu. 5 Added a "Select a Menubar background color" command to View_Menu. (UNIX,WINDOWS) 6 Added "Edit" Menu.install.txt "Undo" "Redo" -------------------- "Cut" "Copy" "Paste" "Select All" *Overview ...

Dear All: Them pesky bugs. A few more squashed courtesy of the sleepy pixel. http://www.pixelglow.com/graphviz/ What's new in v11 ------------ Fixed some comprehensive help [NRi]. Fixed scale option placeholder [NRi]. Improved application and document icons. Example files now double-click to open in application. What's new in v12 ------------ Added layout option tooltips [NRi]. Fixed layout popup button changing wrong graph [MKe]. Clicking on warning icon now opens Activity window [NRi, AM]. Revert menu item now disabled. Cheers, Glen Low --- pixelglow software | simply brilliant stuff www.pixelglow.com ...

Hi all, Yet another Graphviz version. The old application icon had been voted off the island, and brand new application and document icons flown in for the task. Comprehensive help features in this version too. http://www.pixelglow.com/graphviz/ What's new: ------------ Added new application and document icons. Added comprehensive help. Fixed changes not affecting graph size displaying incorrectly [BTr]. Fixed export then close crashing the export of an open window. Improved shadowed frame for graph [NRi]. Improved status display [NRi]. Changed sources to pure BSD license. Cheers, Glen Low --- pixelglow software | simply brilliant stuff www.pixelglow.com ...

Wrapping Tcl into Mac OS X executibles?
Hi guys. Well, I have three apps coming up to a v1.0 release soon and I'd like to release to the main platforms simultaneously. ActiveState's TclApp does me fine for creating stand-alone executibles for Windows and Linux. But Mac's the missing link. As mine are commercial apps, the ability to 'compile' the Tcl code to limit code snooping is essential for me. What are people currently using to convert their Tcl apps into Mac executibles? Cheers. Synic wrote: > Hi guys. > > Well, I have three apps coming up to a v1.0 release soon and I'd > like to release to the main platforms simultaneously. ActiveState's > TclApp does me fine for creating stand-alone executibles for Windows > and Linux. But Mac's the missing link. > > As mine are commercial apps, the ability to 'compile' the Tcl code to > limit code snooping is essential for me. What are people currently > using to convert their Tcl apps into Mac executibles? > > Cheers. > I wrap mine in a starpack and then put the whole thing in an application bundle. Or you can just organize the scripts into the application bundle itself. Mac OS X 10.4 comes with Tcl/Tk installed and includes tbcload, so you can even obfuscate your code. See http://tk-components.sourceforge.net/tk-bundle-tutorial/index.html for details. -- Kevin Walzer Poetic Code http://www.kevin-walzer.com In article <44E45991.1010107@kevin-walzer.com>, Kevin Walzer ...

PDF to EPS workarounds for Mac OS X Attention TeXy, TeXy peoples: PDF to EPS workarounds for Mac OS X Attention TeXy, TeXy peoples: PDF to EPS workarounds for Mac OS X Attention TeXy, TeXy
Attention TeXy, TeXy peoples: (excuse the mispronunciation; punny licence) It seems that Mac OS X has partially documented issues (http://altair.ific.uv.es/~JaxoDraw/Bugparade/bugparade.htm, http://developer.apple.com/java/faq/issues.html#anchor6) with the generation of EPS, and I'm trying to find a workaround. The Preview application cannot export to eps, but it can read it (converting it to PDF). If I use Adobe Acrobat to read the PDF generated by Preview, the EPS it generates sometimes (inconsistently) causes dvips to make an unreadable file. What I'm trying to do is the following: I made a large figure with about 50 images (EPS images generated by Mathematica, with labels) all in a nice 'tabular' array, using LaTeX and dvips. I'm too incompetent/lazy to center the image correctly, so I tell dvips to make an oversized output (30 cm by 30 cm) and then I crop it in Preview. Then, I save the image in Preview as a PDF, open the PDF in Acrobat, and export to EPS. Sometimes this works, but in this case, no. Sometimes if I open the EPS (again!) in Preview, save as PDF (again!), and convert to EPS from Adobe (again...) this makes a file that LaTeX, dvips, and Preview (or ghostview) happily process. I mention this not to impress all with my willingness to mindlessly tinker, but rather because it seems to hint that something toxic can be dropped/broken from the EPS with repeated reconversions. You've probably guessed that I should just place the large f...

How I got Tcl/Tk working with Ruby on OS X
In case anyone is having trouble with this: Download the source for Tcl 8.4.16, Tk 8.4.16, and Ruby 1.8.6. Rename the source directories to tcl, tk, and ruby. cd tcl/macosx ../configure make >& make.log sudo make install cd tk/macosx ../configure make >& make.log sudo make install cd ruby ../configure --enable-tcltk-framework --with-tcltk-framework=/Library/ Frameworks --with-tcl-framework-header=/Library/Frameworks/ Tcl.framework/Headers --with-tk-framework-header=/Library/Frameworks/ Tk.framework/Headers --enable-pthread make >& make.log sudo make install Phil <...

Is tcl exec function supported under Mac OS X?
I've always read in the documentation about tcl at http://www.tcl.tk/man/tcl8.3/TclCmd/contents.htm that exec (as well as pipes) are not implemented for Mac OS platforms. I was recently trying tclsh under Darwin and to my surprise exec calls seemed to work. Could someone please confirm whether exec is supported in the new tcl/tk Aqua packages maintained by sourceforge at http://tcltkaqua.sourceforge.net/ / Karl Karl D wrote: > I've always read in the documentation about tcl at > http://www.tcl.tk/man/tcl8.3/TclCmd/contents.htm > that exec (as well as pipes) are not implemented > for Mac OS platforms. > I was recently trying tclsh under Darwin and to > my surprise exec calls seemed to work. Could someone > please confirm whether exec is supported in the new > tcl/tk Aqua packages maintained by sourceforge at > http://tcltkaqua.sourceforge.net/ exec works fine on OS X, not on Mac Classic. -- Jeff Hobbs, The Tcl Guy http://www.ActiveState.com/, a division of Sophos Jeff Hobbs <jeffh@removethis.activestate.com> wrote in message news:<4169FBB7.6080502@removethis.activestate.com>... > Karl D wrote: > > I've always read in the documentation about tcl at > > http://www.tcl.tk/man/tcl8.3/TclCmd/contents.htm > > that exec (as well as pipes) are not implemented > > for Mac OS platforms. > > I was recently trying tclsh under Darwin and to > > my surprise exec calls seemed to work. Co...

Anyone knows of a Tcl port to Palm Os 5.x ? ( palm-tcl no longer supported )
Hi Guys, Is therea tcl port to the current Plam OS ? I believe palm-tcl is no longer supported :( Regards, Sean - HeliHobby.com According to <born2net@sbcglobal.net>: :Hi Guys, :Is therea tcl port to the current Plam OS ? :I believe palm-tcl is no longer supported :( Which one of these palm tcls do you mean? What: Palm Tcl Where: <URL: http://palm-tcl.sf.net/ > <URL: http://home.earthlink.net/%7Eashoknadkarni/ > Description: Port of most of Tcl 7.6 to PalmOS. Includes support for PalmOS features such as user interface elements (title bars, menus, labels, text fields, lists, buttons of various types, checkboxes, selector triggers, popup triggers, time/date selectors, tables), database support (creation, deletion, update, listing), system functions (sound, clipboard, launching apps, system event handling), etc. Currently at version 0.4 . Updated: 01/2002 Contact: <URL: mailto:palmtcl@yahoo.com > What: PalmTcl Where: <URL: http://www.patentburner.com/%7Eovercode/PalmTcl-test.tar.gz > ??? <URL: http://sf.net/projects/palmtcl/ > Description: Port of Tcl to PalmOS. Updated: 05/2001 Contact: <URL: mailto:overcode@cc.gatech.edu > (John R. Hall) What: Toucan Where: <URL: http://sf.net/projects/toucan/ > <URL: http://home.attbi.com/%7Emaccody/ > Description: Integrated development environment for developing Palm Tcl applications on the desktop. The idea is that you develop the applications on the d...

Mac OS X & Mac OS X Server
Hi, I'm currently using a 9i developer release on Mac OS X (10.3) which has proved very stable so far. My understanding of the various Oracle press releases is that 10G will be released for Mac OS X, are there any beta testers out there wiling to comment on availabilitu/quality/performance issues for 10G on Mac OS X? Another question is whether tools such as the OEM will be available in 10G for Mac OS X, does anybody know? Yours in anticipation! Steve Steve <steve@nospam.com> wrote in message news:<2004013008345616807%steve@nospamcom>... > releases is that 10G wil...

Mac OS 9.x included in Mac OS X?
Hi, I read that Mac OS X has a so-called classic mode which emulates Mac OS 9.x so that older applications can still be run. Provided one is not an upgrader from Mac OS 9.x, does Mac OS X include Mac OS 9.x required for the classic mode or does it have to be bought separately? Peter >Provided one is not an upgrader from Mac OS 9.x, does Mac OS X include >Mac OS 9.x required for the classic mode or does it have to be bought >separately? If you buy the installer for OS X it *does not* include OS 9. You generally use the copy of OS 9 that came with your computer in order to install C...

Tcl 8.5.2 version conflict on Mac OS X
Hi, I just tried to compile 8.5.2 on Mac OSX, and install it. Below is the error I get when I try to start tclsh8.5. [set tcl_patchLevel] shows also that it would be 8.5.1. What is up here, do others have the same problem? I should add that I installed ActiveTcl 8.5.2 before, and it worked. But normally it should not be a problem to overwrite this installation with another, self compiled. I have done this before without any problems... Thanks in advance Eckhard. $ /usr/local/bin/tclsh8.5 application-specific initialization failed: Can't find a usable init.tcl in the following directories: /Library/Frameworks/Tcl.framework/Versions/8.5/Resources/Scripts /usr/local/lib/tcl8.5 /usr/lib/tcl8.5 /usr/local/library /usr/library /usr/tcl8.5.1/library /tcl8.5.1/library /Library/Frameworks/Tcl.framework/Versions/8.5/Resources/Scripts/init.tcl: version conflict for package "Tcl": have 8.5.1, need exactly 8.5.2 version conflict for package "Tcl": have 8.5.1, need exactly 8.5.2 while executing "package require -exact Tcl 8.5.2" (file "/Library/Frameworks/Tcl.framework/Versions/8.5/Resources/Scripts/init.tcl" line 20) invoked from within "source /Library/Frameworks/Tcl.framework/Versions/8.5/Resources/Scripts/init.tcl" ("uplevel" body line 1) invoked from within "uplevel #0 [list source $tclfile]" /usr/local/lib/tcl8.5/init.tcl: version conflict for package "Tcl&...

Web resources about - Tcl/Tk problems on Mac OS X - comp.lang.tcl

Establishing sleep patterns early in life key to avoiding future problems
Children have just the first five years of life to develop good sleeping habits before they are at risk of adjusting poorly to school and developing ...

Maria Sharapova's meldonium problem: it's about the brains, not the looks
What Maria Sharapova seems most guilty of is breathtaking stupidity.

Slater frustrated with shoulder problems
BILLY Slater is said to be “disappointed” and “frustrated” with the Melbourne Storm star set to undergo an arthroscope on his troublesome left ...

Maria Sharapova's meldonium problem: it's about the brains, not the looks
What Maria Sharapova seems most guilty of is breathtaking stupidity.

Establishing sleep patterns early in life key to avoiding future problems
Children have just the first five years of life to develop good sleeping habits before they are at risk of adjusting poorly to school and developing ...

Obama Wants SXSW to Help Solve America's Problems, Including Apple Standoff
President Obama asked a tech-savvy audience attending the first day of the South by Southwest Interactive Festival in Austin to help tackle the ...

Florida’s problem with sea level rise catches up with Rubio at debate
... debate near Miami, Florida. (credit: Joe Raedle / Getty Images) Earlier this year, a group of Florida mayors that are dealing with problems ...

How to fix Microsoft Edge's worst problems
... soon (and to the rest of us when the Redstone update for Windows 10 rolls out in June/July). If you’re using the new browser and having problems, ...

NASTY: Bill Clinton's Disgusting Flatulence Problems Date Back to White House Years
It's not just Granny Catlady who stinks. It's also her husband : Clinton became so flatulent at one point during his presidency that his close ...