Tcl/Tk Scripting Programmer Required for NewViews

I am a semi-retired business consultant.  Over the last 20 years I have
written and supported many procedures for the accounting program "NewViews"
by Q.W. Page in Toronto.  The original NewViews was a single-user, DOS based
application and incorporated its own interpretative procedure language which
is very similar to BASIC.

The new version is a multi-user, platform independent application and no
longer supports the original NewViews Procedure Language.  It uses Tcl/Tk
scripting.  My clients are anxious to upgrade to the new program.  All the
procedures I have written will need to be re-written in Tcl/Tk.  I have no
experience in scripting languages and I don't have the time or the
inclination to learn.  I am looking for someone who is fluent in Tcl/Tk who
is willing to work with me to rewrite these applications.

I am looking for someone in the Lower Mainland area of BC Canada who is
willing to do piece work on this project.  Fees are negotiable and they will
be generous.  This is a NOW project - the sooner the better.  Some
experience with accounting applications would help but would not be
necessary.

BTW, once the switch to the new program is complete, all of these clients
will need ongoing support and I will want the new programmer to take on this
work so that I can completely retire.

Best wishes
Terry

Tried to respond off the list but the email address above doesn't work.

If you can't locate someone from lower mainland BC,   I'm from Ontario.

bob

Terry Blaker wrote:

> I am a semi-retired business consultant.  Over the last 20 years I have
> written and supported many procedures for the accounting program
> "NewViews"
> by Q.W. Page in Toronto.  The original NewViews was a single-user, DOS
> based application and incorporated its own interpretative procedure
> language which is very similar to BASIC.
>
> The new version is a multi-user, platform independent application and no
> longer supports the original NewViews Procedure Language.  It uses Tcl/Tk
> scripting.  My clients are anxious to upgrade to the new program.  All the
> procedures I have written will need to be re-written in Tcl/Tk.  I have no
> experience in scripting languages and I don't have the time or the
> inclination to learn.  I am looking for someone who is fluent in Tcl/Tk
> who is willing to work with me to rewrite these applications.
>
> I am looking for someone in the Lower Mainland area of BC Canada who is
> willing to do piece work on this project.  Fees are negotiable and they
> will
> be generous.  This is a NOW project - the sooner the better.  Some
> experience with accounting applications would help but would not be
> necessary.
>
> BTW, once the switch to the new program is complete, all of these clients
> will need ongoing support and I will want the new programmer to take on
> this work so that I can completely retire.
>
> Best wishes
> Terry

0
fcsoft1 (16)

Experienced Tcl/Tk Programmer Required
Must reside in or around the Atlanta area. Contact for more details. Contact Information: Dr Alex Van der Velden Engineering Director velden@engineous.com Please do not reply to this email! ...

Hi everyone, I have been pulling my hair with this one for a couple of days and still have not found a fix. I'm working within ANSYS Tcl-Tk implementation. I created a Tcl-Tk script that generates a simple window with three buttons. Each button opens another window which is created in a separate Tcl file. The second window have a lot of text entries, variables, procedures, etc. I can open the second Tcl file by itself and everything works as supposed, but when I open it using the button in the first window, it opens but any procedure called by the widgets on the second window are not fou...

Using Tcl::Tk Module with Tcl/Tk 8.5
Not sure if this is the right place for this question, as it is with relation to the Tcl::Tk module, rather than Perl/Tk specifically. I'd like to use Tcl::Tk with Tcl/Tk 8.5 rather than 8.4. To that end, on a clean Debian Testing system I have installed only Tcl/Tk 8.5 and also finally managed to install the Tcl::Tk module. I was having problems installing the Tcl-0.95 module, which Tcl::Tk depends on, but fixed it with a specific include path call: >sudo perl Makefile.PL --tclsh /usr/bin/tclsh8.5 --tclconfig /usr/lib/tcl8.5/tclConfig.sh --include /usr/include/tcl8.5 Fo...

Debugger for Tcl/Tk and [incr Tcl]
hi, where can i get Coverage for debugging tcl/tk, [incr Tcl] source? this tool is advised to use in 'Practical Programming in Tcl and Tk' or any other good debugger, which i could use? best, s. On Jan 23, 5:56=A0am, Sitaca <sit...@gmail.com> wrote: > hi, > > where can i get Coverage for debugging tcl/tk, [incr Tcl] source? > this tool is advised to use in 'Practical Programming in Tcl and Tk' > > or any other good debugger, which i could use? I see, at http://wiki.tcl.tk/8638 , a brief reference to the topic of coverage for tcl. I don't know w...

Tcl command to evaluate a tcl script?
Hi all, I need to evaluate a separate tcl file within a tcl file. Is there any tcl command to evaluate a tcl file ? Regards, Prabu.K prabu wrote: > Hi all, > > I need to evaluate a separate tcl file within a tcl file. Is there any > tcl command to evaluate a tcl file ? > > Regards, > Prabu.K > hi, try: source your_other_tcl_file.tcl cheers, Tobi ...

Newbie to Tcl/Tk: Question about Tcl and VxWorks....
Hello All, I have tried looking on the offical tcl/tk website and also at WindRiver's without success. Please forgive my ignorance on this, but is tcl/tk available for VxWorks or is there in progress a port going on. Many thanks in advance, Richard "Richard Latter" <richard_l@latter.demon.co.uk> writes: > I have tried looking on the offical tcl/tk website and also at WindRiver's > without success. Please forgive my ignorance on this, but is tcl/tk > available for VxWorks or is there in progress a port going on. I have ancient Tcl 7.3 here, but don'...

Tcl command to evaluate a tcl script? #2
Hi all, I need to evaluate a separate tcl file within a tcl file. Is there any tcl command to evaluate a tcl file ? Regards, Prabu.K prabu wrote: > I need to evaluate a separate tcl file within a tcl file. Is there any > tcl command to evaluate a tcl file ? You're probably looking for the "source" command. Other commands of interest would be "package require" or "eval". The command "load" is for binary shared libraries. -- Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST) Scruffitarianism - Where T-shirt, jeans, and a three-day beard...

Incr Tcl /Tk for Tcl 8.4
Hi, I am trying to download incr Tcl and incr Tk for Tcl/Tk 8.4.19. I looked at: http://sourceforge.net/projects/incrtcl/files/%5BIncr%20Tcl_Tk%5D-source/3.4.1/ But only itcl seems to be there. And the CVS doesn't have the 3.4.1 tag. Do you know where I can get incr Tk and hopefully a corresponding iwidgets? Thanks, Andres On 5 Okt., 11:16, Andres Garcia <tclc...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi, > > I am trying to download incr Tcl and incr Tk for Tcl/Tk 8.4.19. > > I looked at: > > http://sourceforge.net/projects/incrtcl/files/%5BIncr%20Tcl_Tk%5D-sou... > > ...

tcl/tk unicode wie kann man formel/math. zeichen in tk unter tcl anzeigen lassen?
Hallo, ich schreibe gerade an einen programm, dass auf windows unix und vielleicht auch anderen plattformen laufen soll. es sollen auch mathematische zeichen wie alpha 'm�' etc. dargestellt werden. mit welchen zeichensatz (vielleicht unicode) kann man dies realisieren? funktioniert es mit einen zeichensatz f�r alle plattformen unabh�ngig? English summary for the rest of the world: sven.rega@gmx.de would like to use mathematical symbols like "mu" in Tk applications. He asks if Unicode is the solution and whether that works on all platforms. I assert that Unicode works si...

E.J. Friedman-Hill's Tcl/Tk Course

This is an announcement for a relatively new Tcl project: tcl-gaul Tcl-gaul is a Tcl extension for genetic/evolutionary algorithm processing.It relies on the GAUL library: http://gaul.sourceforge.net/ * A genetic algorithm (GA) is a search technique used in computing to find exact or approximate solutions to optimization and search problems. Genetic algorithms are categorized as global search heuristics. They are a particular class of evolutionary algorithms that use techniques inspired by evolutionary biology such as inheritance, mutation, selection, and crossover. For ...

running other tcl from a tcl
Is that possible? 1 - sequentially to call two tcl files, like: c:\> tclkit-8.4.7.exe first.tcl second.tcl 2 - from a tcl to call other one # first.tcl content below exec hello.tcl # end regards, mauro ps.: I'm not experience in Tcl. Mauro Silva wrote: > Is that possible? > > 1 - sequentially to call two tcl files, like: > > c:\> tclkit-8.4.7.exe first.tcl second.tcl > > 2 - from a tcl to call other one > > # first.tcl content below > > exec hello.tcl > > # end > > regards, > m...

Introducing Tcl/Tk to a programmer
I have a programmer friend who recently asked me recommend a language for him to learn. He wants a utility language which he can use to write small tools and applications, preferably with a GUI and to run on Windows. "Sure," I said, "Perl! No - wait! Tcl!" I've been using Tcl for 10 years or more but I've never had to describe why it's so much better than Perl et al from a scripting point of view. (I can describe embedability, extensability, etc.) I kind of "know" the beauty of the language is it's dynamic nature, but how do you get that across to...

Dose there any tcl script to translate an file with embedded tcl
Hi I need to generate some big file, but there are rules for generate these files Ex . ============================== Start input a [0] wire input a [1] wire .. .. .. .. input a [1000] wire End ================================= Dose there any tcl script can help to translate a file with embedded tcl script into a new file For example this is a source file ======================== Start * set i 0 * for { set i 0 } { $i < 1000 } { incr i } { * puts input a [$i] wire * } End ========================== After Translate ======================= Start input a [0] wire input a [1] wire .. .. ...

This is an announcement for a relatively new Tcl project: tcl-pam Tcl-pam is a Tcl interface to the PAM* service of Linux. It provides a Tcl package that allows Tcl scripts to use PAM to authenticate users and programs. It relies on linux-pam library: http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/libs/pam/ * PAM (Pluggable Authentication Modules): A mechanism to integrate multiple low−level authentication schemes into a high−level application programming interface (API). This enables programs that rely on authentication to be written independently of the underlying authentication scheme. Platform:...

Tcl/Tk without script
Hi! I am currently trying to write a Tk Gui for an existing C++ program. As I am totally new to Tcl/Tk, I considered writing this gui without writing a script, i.e. to create and handle the Tk Gui only via the C API. Therefore I searched the internet for informations on how to use Tcl/Tk in a way as you would use Qt, GTK or any other C/C++ GUI toolkit. To my surprise, I didn't find any information on how to do so. Trying to learn the stuff from the API I stumbled over the nonexistence (or non-documentation?) of methods to create or handle widgets from C/C++. My question is therefore: Is i...

using "package require Tk" in the Tcl C API vs the Tk C API
Hi Everyone Quick question. Is there any harm in using a string "package require Tk " from within the C API and forgoing the Tk C API ? I am guessing that the Tk C API would have better performance but can I not just feed strings into the interpreter that control the Tk library ? Less complexity should mean I write less bugs. Thanks for reading-Patrick On Sunday, December 29, 2013 3:57:26 AM UTC+1, halfm...@gmail.com wrote: > Hi Everyone >=20 >=20 >=20 > Quick question.=20 >=20 >=20 >=20 > Is there any harm in using a string "...

how to access prolog from tcl?(not using tcl/tk interface from prolog)
hi, I am now doing my thesis project relate to mobile agent technology which need to access prolog from tcl. There are a lot of prologs which have the function to access tcl from prolog, but I need to access prolog from tcl.(I can not use the method that first load prolog, then access tcl via the interface, and reload prolog). So is there any one can help me or give me some tips to solve this problem? Now I can only found one article to solve this problem(http://tkoutline.sourceforge.net/wiki/38). I tried the code, but unfortunately, the terminal always crashed and did not give any respo...

how to access prolog from tcl?(not using tcl/tk interface from prolog)
hi, I am now doing my thesis project relate to mobile agent technology which need to access prolog from tcl. There are a lot of prologs which have the function to access tcl from prolog, but I need to access prolog from tcl.(I can not use the method that first load prolog, then access tcl via the interface, and reload prolog). So is there any one can help me or give me some tips to solve this problem? Now I can only found one article to solve this problem(http://tkoutline.sourceforge.net/wiki/38). I tried the code, but unfortunately, the terminal always crashed and did not give any respo...

This is an announcement for a relatively new Tcl project: tcl-mp Tcl-mp is a Tcl interface to POSIX Message Queues*. It provides a Tcl package that allows scripts to create/open/close/unlink multiple parallel message queues, and to send/receive messages synchronously and asynchronously to/from them. * A POSIX message queue is an Inter-Process Communication mechanism available on Linux and some other POSIX-compliant operating systems. It allows to or more processes (or threads) to communicate under the same OS. The messages are buffered by the kernel, which gives them kernel persis...

This is an announcement for a relatively new Tcl project: tcl-mmap Tcl-mmap is a Tcl interface to the POSIX mmap* system call. It provides a Tcl package that allows Tcl scripts to: 1) Memory map files for improved access efficiency; 2) Share memory between related processes; 3) Easily implement cyclic persistent log files. * See the mmap(2) man page. Platform: Linux/Unix Home page: http://sourceforge.net/projects/tcl-mmap/ Man page: http://tcl-mmap.sourceforge.net/ Author: Alexandros Stergiakis On Sep 3, 11:48=A0am, Alexandros Stergiakis <alst...@gmail.com> wrote: > This is an ...

Redirection of TCL/Tk script errors?
Hi guys. I'm using ActiveTCL 8.4.x. Is there any way to redirect general script error output to a particular Proc rather than the default error widgets? If the worst happens, I'd rather users saw a simple tk_messageBox stating something simple and clear like "Application error" rather than fragments of TCL source code that might scare them. Synic wrote: > I'm using ActiveTCL 8.4.x. Is there any way to redirect general script error > output to a particular Proc rather than the default error widgets? Of course, see manpage about [bgerror]. kind regards -- Ma...

Web resources about - Tcl/Tk Scripting Programmer Required for NewViews - comp.lang.tcl

Programmer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A programmer , computer programmer , developer , coder , or software engineer is a person who writes computer software . The term computer programmer ...

Programmer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A programmer , computer programmer , developer , coder , or software engineer is a person who writes computer software . The term computer programmer ...

Contract Analyst Programmer (MS.Net/Visual Basic) 160129/AP/vtd

Managing Programmers
Programmers are not like the other kids. They cannot and should not be managed like normal people if your intent is to produce high quality software. ...

Programmer who aided financial malware to be sent home to Latvia
Deniss Calovskis, who pled guilty in 2015, has served 20 months combined in Latvia, US. The Latvian programmer who was involved in the creation ...

Two Valley teen programmers have started a movement where kids teach other kids how to code
While other high school kids spend their weekends playing sports, video games and hanging with friends, two Palo Alto teenagers spend their free ...

Prominent Programmer Dies In Apparent Suicide After Violent Encounter With San Francisco Police
A prominent member of the open source programming community died in an apparent suicide on Monday, days after a violent encounter with San Francisco ...

Programmers: It’s time to tame Python
If you’re pursuing a career in coding, you’re going to have to reckon with Python, one of the most popular programming languages in use. A valuable ...

Uber Hires Programmers Who Can Win A Fight With Their Robot
Tech companies like Uber and Dropbox are using CodeFights, a platform that enables programmers to compete with one another to solve coding challenges, ...

Fighting ‘ticket bots’: Washington AG says it’s too early to tweak state law to protect altruistic programmers ...
... to pillage vast amount of show tickets. Rep. Jesse Young, R- Gig Harbor, has introduced a bill to slightly change that law to protect programmers ...