Tcl/Tk text widget article in Linux Journal

Linux Journal have just published an article I wrote on the Tk text widget.
None of the seasoned veterans on c.l.t will learn anything from it, but
newbies might find it useful. The information should apply to Windows users
too. The link is:

 http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=7357&mode=thread&order=0

This is the first Tcl article (or indeed, any article) I've had published,
so I'd welcome any constructive feedback - both on my writing and my Tcl
coding.

More importantly, this is the first Tcl based article that Linux Journal
have published. When I made the original suggestion to the editor he asked
why Tcl was better than Perl, Python and shell, which are the usual
languages the magazine focuses on. I put forward gentle arguments and he
agreed to give something Tcl-based a try. The magazine is now awaiting
feedback to see if it is worth them running further Tcl articles.

Putting that another way, there's a new opening for spreading the Tcl-word
here. Linux Journal receiving page hits and comments from the Tcl community
can only be a good thing, so hit the link!
0
nomail31 (153)

In article <400b35da$0$1753$5a62ac22@freenews.iinet.net.au>,
Derek Fountain  <nomail@hursley.ibm.com> wrote:
			.
			.
			.
> http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=7357&mode=thread&order=0
>
>This is the first Tcl article (or indeed, any article) I've had published,
>so I'd welcome any constructive feedback - both on my writing and my Tcl
>coding.
			.
			.
			.
Great!--for helping get the word out, I mean.  Congratulations,
too, especially on making your way through the *LJ* editorial
process.

One immediate tiny observation:  I'd make the point that [text]
is available to scripters, INCLUDING those working in Perl,
Python, and Tcl, but not restricted to them.  The Ruby and PHP
crowds in particular favor *LJ*, and I don't want them (or the
Schemers, or ...) feeling left out.  It's certainly true, of
course, that Tcl/Tk, Tkinter, and Perl/Tk are the most mature.
--

Cameron Laird <claird@phaseit.net>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net
Cameron Laird wrote:

> In article <400b35da$0$1753$5a62ac22@freenews.iinet.net.au>,
> Derek Fountain  <nomail@hursley.ibm.com> wrote:
>                         .
>                         .
>                         .
> > http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=7357&mode=thread&order=0
> >
> >This is the first Tcl article (or indeed, any article) I've had published,
> >so I'd welcome any constructive feedback - both on my writing and my Tcl
> >coding.
>                         .
>                         .
>                         .
> Great!--for helping get the word out, I mean.  Congratulations,
> too, especially on making your way through the *LJ* editorial
> process.
>
> One immediate tiny observation:  I'd make the point that [text]
> is available to scripters, INCLUDING those working in Perl,
> Python, and Tcl, but not restricted to them.  The Ruby and PHP
> crowds in particular favor *LJ*, and I don't want them (or the
> Schemers, or ...) feeling left out.  It's certainly true, of
> course, that Tcl/Tk, Tkinter, and Perl/Tk are the most mature.
> --

Notice that David Zolli had an article on Tcl/Tk in the French
version of Linux Magazine -
<http://www.ed-diamond.com/produit.php?produit=160>
(With any luck more will follow)

Regards,

Arjen
0
arjen.markus (2628)

in Tcl/tk, How can I redirect stdout to a text widget?
I already wrote a tcl script. there are many output information sent to stdout in the script. Now I'm using TK to optimize this script, I hope to redirect all output information to a text widget, How can i do it? I tried to rediect output information to a file, it's OK. then I want to use "fileevent" command to trace the file's action and then send new information to a text widget. but system say that "filehandle cannot be read" error. I think that the reason should be the file is open for "w" and cannot be read. How can i do it? close stdout set file_a [open "testfile" "w"] fileevent $file_a readable Log # this Log procedure write information to a text widget. Any responses will be very appreciated. thanks. Hans Yin wrote: > > I already wrote a tcl script. there are many output information sent > to stdout in the script. Now I'm using TK to optimize this script, I > hope to redirect all output information to a text widget, How can i do > it? > > I tried to rediect output information to a file, it's OK. then I want > to use "fileevent" command to trace the file's action and then send > new information to a text widget. but system say that "filehandle > cannot be read" error. I think that the reason should be the file is > open for "w" and cannot be read. How can i do it? > > close stdout > set file_a [open ...

tcl/tk 8.4 text widget question
Hi! Can you help. I have a gui script that displays the output of commands as they are ran in a text widget with scroll bar. However, once the output goes past the height of the text widget, the text does not automatically scroll down. When the processing is complete, I have to scroll to the bottom to see the last few lines including the line where it says "Processing complete" Does anyone know how to fix this? Meg Cooper mulkey_mouse@cox.net wrote: > Hi! > Can you help. > I have a gui script that displays the output of commands as they are > ran in a text widget with scroll bar. However, once the output goes > past the height of the text widget, the text does not automatically > scroll down. When the processing is complete, I have to scroll to the > bottom to see the last few lines including the line where it says > "Processing complete" > > Does anyone know how to fix this? > Meg Cooper Try... $txt see end .... after you add each new line of text. Jeff Hey!! Thanks!! It worked like a charm. ---------- Forwarded message ---------- From: Jeff Godfrey <jeff_godf...@pobox.com> Date: Feb 25, 12:32=A0pm Subject: tcl/tk 8.4 text widget question To: comp.lang.tcl mulkey_mo...@cox.net wrote: > Hi! > Can you help. > I have a gui script that displays the output of commands as they are > ran in a text widget with scroll bar. However, once the output goes > past the height of the text widget, the tex...

Text widget Tab behaviour in Tcl/Tk 8.5
Last October I noticed that there was a difference in the way text widget tabs are handled in Tcl 8.5 when compared with 8.4. Apparently this is a new feature - but I was told that an option will be added to allow the "old" style of tab behaviour (so that existing code will work properly). I was just wondering if there have been any developments in this area? Best Regards, =Adrian= Adrian Davis wrote: > Last October I noticed that there was a difference in the way text > widget tabs are handled in Tcl 8.5 when compared with 8.4. > > Apparently this is a new feature - but I was told that an option will > be added to allow the "old" style of tab behaviour (so that existing > code will work properly). > > I was just wondering if there have been any developments in this area? > > Best Regards, > =Adrian= I think the -tabstyle option accomplishes what you want. > I think the -tabstyle option accomplishes what you want. That's done the trick. Many Thanks, =Adrian= ...

1. Thank you everyone for your help. 2. Tcl/Tk Designer 3. Text Editor Widget
Hello CLT Thank you everyone that responds to my posts asking for info. I really appreciate it. At this stage of my tcl career I can ask many more questions than I can answer. Speaking of questions, here are a few more: 1. Is there a tcl/tk based user interface designer available? There has been no recent activity on VTCL, and SpecTcl looks even older. I am not averse to using VTCL. I would just prefer to use something that is being actively maintained. 2. Is there a text editor widget that I can drop into an application? I realize I could put something together with the text widget and perhaps ntext. The problem is that this editing feature is not the focus of my application. It adds value for sure. However I cannot spend much of my time there. Try ctext at http://wiki.tcl.tk/4134 /Ashok On Sep 16, 7:07 am, Kuberan Naganathan <kube...@att.net> wrote: > Hello CLT > > Thank you everyone that responds to my posts asking for info. I really > appreciate it. At this stage of my tcl career I can ask many more > questions than I can answer. > > Speaking of questions, here are a few more: > > 1. Is there a tcl/tk based user interface designer available? > There has been no recent activity on VTCL, and SpecTcl looks even > older. I am not averse to using VTCL. I would just prefer to use > something that is being actively maintained. > > 2. Is there a text editor...

Debugger for Tcl/Tk and [incr Tcl]

tk::mac::ShowPreferences in Tcl/Tk Linux version?
When I define a procedure tk::mac::ShowPreferences working on a Mac Leopard Snow with the Mac version of ActiveState Tcl/Tk I can use the Mac Preference menu without problems. Great work! But normally I work on a Unix platform compiling my program with tclkit-darwin-aqua for a Mac Platform. And defining a procedure proc ::tk::mac::ShowPreferences {} { tk_messageBox -type ok -icon info -default ok \ -title "Preferences" \ -message "Here will be a Preference Dialog!" } and compiling it for aqua will fail on the Mac. Probably I have to add the tk::ma...

Newbie to Tcl/Tk: Question about Tcl and VxWorks....
Hello All, I have tried looking on the offical tcl/tk website and also at WindRiver's without success. Please forgive my ignorance on this, but is tcl/tk available for VxWorks or is there in progress a port going on. Many thanks in advance, Richard "Richard Latter" <richard_l@latter.demon.co.uk> writes: > I have tried looking on the offical tcl/tk website and also at WindRiver's > without success. Please forgive my ignorance on this, but is tcl/tk > available for VxWorks or is there in progress a port going on. I have ancient Tcl 7.3 here, but don't know of newer ports. Donald Arseneau asnd@triumf.ca ...

Incr Tcl /Tk for Tcl 8.4

tcl/tk unicode wie kann man formel/math. zeichen in tk unter tcl anzeigen lassen?
Hallo, ich schreibe gerade an einen programm, dass auf windows unix und vielleicht auch anderen plattformen laufen soll. es sollen auch mathematische zeichen wie alpha 'm�' etc. dargestellt werden. mit welchen zeichensatz (vielleicht unicode) kann man dies realisieren? funktioniert es mit einen zeichensatz f�r alle plattformen unabh�ngig? English summary for the rest of the world: sven.rega@gmx.de would like to use mathematical symbols like "mu" in Tk applications. He asks if Unicode is the solution and whether that works on all platforms. I assert that Unicode works since Tcl 8.1 and that UCN syntax like \u00B5 is the way to go with symbols hardcoded in Tcl scripts. I point him to "charmap.exe" (Windows), "Character Palette" (Mac OS X) or generically to <http://www.unicode.org> to find out the Unicode code points. ---------------- Hi, Versuch doch bitte beim n�chsten Mal auf Englisch zu fragen, sonst kann Dir nur ein Bruchteil der Leute hier folgen. sven.rega@gmx.de (xfan) writes: > ich schreibe gerade an einen programm, dass auf windows unix und > vielleicht auch anderen plattformen laufen soll. es sollen auch > mathematische zeichen wie alpha 'm�' etc. dargestellt werden. mit > welchen zeichensatz (vielleicht unicode) kann man dies realisieren? Ja, das funktioniert mit Unicode in Tcl seit Version 8.1. > funktioniert es mit einen zeichensatz f�r alle plattformen > unabh�ngig? Das ist die ...

E.J. Friedman-Hill's Tcl/Tk Course

Tcl/Tk on Linux questions
I'm thinking of moving from Windows to Linux. Though a computer _user_ since days of 026's, I'm not familiar with any OS internals/structure since CPM-80. I have not yet decided on which distro to use. One set of considerations push towards a reasonably standard Debian based distro. Another set has me leaning towards Tinycore and its competitors. The conflict is that the standard/common distro's manage to download "everything but the kitchen sink" when >90% of my time will be spent with a couple of "kitchen sinks" ;/ I interpret http://docs.activestate.com/activetcl/8.5/at.install.html as saying that as long as I have a specific kernel (or later) all is GO [i.e. no dependencies to download]. When I asked a similar question on a Linux forum (though I was focusing my question on obtaining smallest .iso) I would have to download such a large amount of graphics support that it would defeat my goal of a small download. Two questions: 1. How confused/befuddled am I? 2. What I want from a "GUI" many might consider just a set of menus. There were some demo tcl files on the ACTIVEDVD I purchased several years ago. Something like their top level would suit me well. My desktop would likely appear to be a half dozen icons each launching a specific menu. Anything more I associate with a GUI is already buried in pure Tcl/Tk scripts I write. From the user perspective this is pretty much how I actua...

how to access prolog from tcl?(not using tcl/tk interface from prolog)
hi, I am now doing my thesis project relate to mobile agent technology which need to access prolog from tcl. There are a lot of prologs which have the function to access tcl from prolog, but I need to access prolog from tcl.(I can not use the method that first load prolog, then access tcl via the interface, and reload prolog). So is there any one can help me or give me some tips to solve this problem? Now I can only found one article to solve this problem(http://tkoutline.sourceforge.net/wiki/38). I tried the code, but unfortunately, the terminal always crashed and did not give any response when I run the second command of its example---"% prolog::init". I could run the command of "plcon -s interp.pl -t main -q" in DOS terminal without problem. Originally I thought it is the version problem of tcl, so I changed it from 8.4.9 to 8.0.3, but the problem was still there. My SWI-prolog version is 3.1.2. My operating system is winXP. I am now very nervous about that, Please give me some help to solve this problem, or tell me some other way to access prolog from tcl. Thank you very much I did not give up the solution of (http://tkoutline.sourceforge.net/wiki/38). Now I changed SWI-prolog version to 5.4.4. When I run the second command(prolog::init) of the example from wish.exe, it pop up a window, said that Prolog interpreter closed unexpectedly Prolog interpreter closed unexpectedly while executing "error "Prolog interpreter closed unexpect...

Fedora Linux and Tcl/Tk problems
I have been chasing a problem for the last couple of days which appears to only happen on Fedora Linux 7 (or 9) but not on other Linux distros like Mepis or Knoppix. I've enclosed a code snip from the code which breaks. The relevant sections are annoted with <bob></bob> but the essense is that when writing a binary string using puts -nonewline $fileID $msg to write to a file the result is corrupted even though the length of msg and at least one of the fields in the middle of msg is correct immediately before ... but only on Fedora. Any ideas? Thanks in advance. bob ============== begin code snip ================ #!/usr/bin/tclsh <snip> #============================================= # doReceive - entry point # # This function will be kicked when a SIMPL # message is received #============================================= proc doReceive {} { set fn doReceive set buf [Receive] binary scan $buf i1i1 fromWhom nbytes binary scan $buf x8a$nbytes msg puts stdout [ format "nbytes=%d" $nbytes ] puts stdout [ format "len=%d" [ string length $msg ] ] binary scan $msg x8i1 seq puts stdout [ format "seq=%d" $seq ] <bob> The sequence is correct here. </bob> hndlMsg $fromWhom $msg $nbytes };# end doReceive #============================================= # hndlMsg - entry point # # This function handles the incoming SIMPL # message #============================================= proc hndlMsg {fromWhom msg nbytes}...

Linux Journal canvas widget article
My Tk text widget article in Linux Journal went down quite well, so I did a followup on the canvas widget: http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=7390 I'm sure LJ would appreciate, and be encouraged by, all hits on their Tcl/Tk based articles. :o) Derek Fountain wrote: > My Tk text widget article in Linux Journal went down quite well, so I did a > followup on the canvas widget: > > http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=7390 Derek, BTW, it is faster to change the visual state of you value if you draw your valve in all the colors and then "raise" the active one and lower the others below the background (which just happened to be the rectangle). This worked great for large diagrams (we used over 100,000 elements to represent the electric grid for the city of Rio). Of course with today's fast computers and graphics cards, such tricks may not still be required (we did Rio back arround 1996). -- +--------------------------------+---------------------------------------+ | Gerald W. Lester | "The man who fights for his ideals is | | Gerald.Lester@cox.net | the man who is alive." -- Cervantes | +--------------------------------+---------------------------------------+ > BTW, it is faster to change the visual state of you value if you draw your > valve in all the colors and then "raise" the active one and lower the > others below the background (which just happened to be the...

Tcl/Tk on embedded (ARM) Linux?
Some time ago I developed an embedded application using Tcl/TK on a touch screen intel/ITX type system, and as the project moves forward, time has come to put it onto an HMI with a proper form factor based upon an ARM touch screen platform ... I have not received the development platform/build environment just yet, I'm looking for anyone with experience ... I figure that once the tool chain is set up, it should be a simple ./configure/Make with the standard Canadian Cross approach ... Any pointers would be appreciated. I'm planning to use 8.6 ... Cheers, Rob. On Aug 25, 5:25=A0am, S...@ControlQ.com wrote: > Some time ago I developed an embedded application using Tcl/TK on a touch > screen intel/ITX type system, and as the project moves forward, time has > come to put it onto an HMI with a proper form factor based upon an ARM > touch screen platform ... > > I have not received the development platform/build environment just yet, > I'm looking for anyone with experience ... I figure that once the tool > chain is set up, it should be a simple ./configure/Make with the standard > Canadian Cross approach ... Any pointers would be appreciated. =A0I'm > planning to use 8.6 ... > Is 8.6 released yet? I use Debian on my ARM based NSLU2 and Debian has tcl 8.5. And Debian supports ARM as a first-class citizen. On Aug 24, 11:25=A0pm, S...@ControlQ.com wrote: > Some time ago I developed an embedded application using Tcl/TK ...

looking for tcl\tk widget demo
Hi, I'm looking for tcl\tk widget demo for something like a setup exe (install application). Thanks, Yael. yael wrote: > I'm looking for tcl\tk widget demo for something like a setup exe > (install application). http://www.activestate.com/Tcl Install it on Windows - that is a fully self-contained Tcl/Tk app that installs Tcl/Tk from within itself. -- Jeff Hobbs The Tcl Guy Senior Developer http://www.ActiveState.com/ Tcl Support and Productivity Solutions Jeff Hobbs wrote: > yael wrote: > >> I'm looking for tcl\tk widget demo for something like a setup exe >> (install application). > > > http://www.activestate.com/Tcl > > Install it on Windows - that is a fully self-contained Tcl/Tk app > that installs Tcl/Tk from within itself. I should add that it is also fully cross-platform, we just haven't released it as a self-installer on *nix because most users are so distrusting of self-extracting executables there. :/ -- Jeff Hobbs The Tcl Guy Senior Developer http://www.ActiveState.com/ Tcl Support and Productivity Solutions "Jeff Hobbs" <jeffh@activestate.com> wrote > > > I'm looking for tcl\tk widget demo for something like a setup exe > > (install application). > > http://www.activestate.com/Tcl > > Install it on Windows - that is a fully self-contained ...

tcl text widget wrap around?
Hi, I am using a proc to detect the occurrence of certain string in a text widget. It works by periodically scan each line of the text widget (starting at the current line), check content, decrement line number if not matched, *repeats, until it reaches line 0. The problem is that it appears the text widget's line number will eventually wrap around after awhile, so it is possible that the current line index sits close to 0. Is there any easy way around this problem? How can I tell a text widget's buffer size? Thanks On 3/27/11 8:16 AM, py wrote: > Hi, &...

Web resources about - Tcl/Tk text widget article in Linux Journal - comp.lang.tcl

Category talk:FL-Class Ohio townships task force articles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This category is within the scope of WikiProject United States , a collaborative effort to improve the coverage of topics relating to the United ...

Publishers reveal what it's really like using Facebook's Instant Articles so far
10 months ago, Facebook launched the first trial of “ Instant Articles ,” its bid to have publishers put their articles directly into the Facebook ...

Morgan Freeman Articles, Photos, and Videos - Chicago Tribune
News, Photos and Information about Morgan Freeman

Marketing Over Coffee: Facebook Instant Articles and AMP Tips
In this week’s Marketing Over Coffee video special, check out our suggested tips for Facebook Instant Articles, AMP tips, and much more, including ...

Super Bowl Articles, Photos, and Videos - Hartford Courant
News, Photos and Information about Super Bowl

Articles archive from March 13, 2016
Daily Herald is suburban Chicago's largest daily newspaper. Daily Herald provides a local perspective with local content such as the northwest ...

Read More Books And Fewer Articles; Read More History and Fewer Forecasts
Josh Brown says he's reading more books this year. He's tired of market commentators saying the same thing, often wrong and never in doubt. ...

Article: Opinion: Why Apple needs a dedicated HomeKit app
Over the past several months, we’ve had the opportunity to look at a variety of HomeKit accessories and apps from different vendors, and even ...

A Biologist Is Writing a Wikipedia Article About a Woman Scientist For Every Harassing Email She Gets ...
You probably won’t be shocked to read that she has written a whole bunch. Emily Temple-Wood is an undergrad at Loyola University who will be ...

Today’s selection of articles from Kotaku’s reader-run community: Black Desert is a Technical Master
Today’s selection of articles from Kotaku ’s reader-run community: Black Desert is a Technical Masterpiece of an MMO • The “Secret Character” ...