Text/C editor written in Tcl/Tk

Dear all,

I have used the Tk text widget for some time. It is the most powerful text
widget I have ever seen. My feeling is that it should not be very
difficult to build a great editor out of it. I am currently using jEdit
which is written in Java. Is there any editor written in Tcl/Tk written
that is comparable to jEdit, Emacs, Vim existed some where? I checked
Google and was unable to find one.

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,
Jingzhao

0
ouj (22)

ouj wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I have used the Tk text widget for some time. It is the most powerful text
> widget I have ever seen. My feeling is that it should not be very
> difficult to build a great editor out of it. I am currently using jEdit
> which is written in Java. Is there any editor written in Tcl/Tk written
> that is comparable to jEdit, Emacs, Vim existed some where? I checked
> Google and was unable to find one.

A good place to poke around for Tcl related stuff is
the wiki:  http://wiki.tcl.tk/
keep that in mind when google fails (and even if it doesn't!)

for this questino in particular
check out http://wiki.tcl.tk/AlphaTk
and also  http://wiki.tcl.tk/Editors

bruce

0
bruce-news (900)

I use ASED. You find it here: http://www.tcl-home.de/ased/asedhome.htm

Regards,

WJG
0
wg004r8226 (31)
10/25/2004 8:39:20 AM
ouj <ouj@aludra.usc.edu> wrote in message news:<Pine.GSO.4.33.0410241021560.20667-100000@aludra.usc.edu>...
> I have used the Tk text widget for some time. It is the most powerful text
> widget I have ever seen. My feeling is that it should not be very
> difficult to build a great editor out of it. I am currently using jEdit
> which is written in Java. Is there any editor written in Tcl/Tk written
> that is comparable to jEdit, Emacs, Vim existed some where? I checked
> Google and was unable to find one.

I would suggest Alphatk: http://www.santafe.edu/~vince/Alphatk.html as
the closest to what you're looking for.

Vince.
vince.darley@eurobios.com (Vince Darley) wrote in message news:<e8f87d6f.0410250234.7e9ff75d@posting.google.com>...
> ouj <ouj@aludra.usc.edu> wrote in message news:<Pine.GSO.4.33.0410241021560.20667-100000@aludra.usc.edu>...
> > I have used the Tk text widget for some time. It is the most powerful text
> > widget I have ever seen. My feeling is that it should not be very
> > difficult to build a great editor out of it. I am currently using jEdit
> > which is written in Java. Is there any editor written in Tcl/Tk written
> > that is comparable to jEdit, Emacs, Vim existed some where? I checked
> > Google and was unable to find one.
>
> I would suggest Alphatk: http://www.santafe.edu/~vince/Alphatk.html as
> the closest to what you're looking for.
>
> Vince.

I have used Peter Campbell's ML editor, which is pure Tcl.  I have
tried others, but keep returning to it.
0
ray.mosley (58)

TCL/TCL combined with Java/C/C++, Any Recommendations?
Hi, I have an application that I wrote in TCL/TK. It has to work with big files +5GB. The parsing performace is not where I would like and some of the data manipulations are taking considerable amount of time due to the data size. Therefore I am considering switching these parts of the code to Java, C or C++. While keepting the GUI and GUI supporting code in TCL/TK at this time. I am trying to figure out which language will be easier to merge with TCL in an application. For C I know that I can compile and generate a .so or .dll and create a TCL package and load it. I believe this is done with SWIG but I have not done it. In Java I saw some info on Jacl and TclBlend. The application will be "compiled" into a TCL "executable". I know I can compile my TCL code into Byte code to protect the IP. I am not sure about Java. Any recommendations or pointers will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Frank Frank <kranfg@gmail.com> writes: > Hi, > > I have an application that I wrote in TCL/TK. It has to work with big files +5GB. > > The parsing performace is not where I would like and some of the data manipulations are taking considerable amount of time due to the data size. > > Therefore I am considering switching these parts of the code to Java, C or C++. While keepting the GUI and GUI supporting code in TCL/TK at this time. > > I am trying to figure out which language will be easier to ...

Means to recover info from a tcl/tk text editor session
Greetings, A little while ago, I opened a tcl/tk text editor under windows 98, with tcl/tk?83 for windows. On exit, I did not saved the information. Assuming standard loging on my windows, is there any way I could retrieve the time and date of that session and even better the content of that session. To what extradinary means could I revert to, to attemp to recover those informations? Regards Richard ...

following tcl command execution from C/C++ code to tcl in gdb
Hi, We have a C/C++ huge application that makes heavy use of tcl C bindings. We frequently have very long stack traces from within gdb/dbx that look like this: #7 0x0d0aac7d in TclObjInterpProc (clientData=0x12857160, interp=0x10924df8, objc=6, objv=0x15138a40) at ../generic/tclProc.c:1146 #8 0x0d043dc6 in TclEvalObjvInternal (interp=0x10924df8, objc=6, objv=0x15138a40, command=0xe0c1382 "", length=0, flags=262144) at ../generic/tclBasic.c:3087 #9 0x0d044045 in Tcl_EvalObjv (interp=0x10924df8, objc=6, objv=0x15138a40, flags=262144) at ../generic/tclBasic.c:3203 This is just a very small part of what can be a very long stack trace. Now by poking around I can see that in gdb I can print *objv[0] to see the first word of a command but this is painful. What we really want is a way to see what Tcl commands are being executed either while the program is running or easily from the stack trace. Can you run gdb as well as a Tcl debugger at the same time? Seems unlikely. How are people systematically tracing the execution of Tcl commands that are called from C/++ bindings? Thanks. foobarbaz99@hotmail.com wrote: > How are people systematically tracing the execution of Tcl commands > that are called from C/++ bindings? Are you familiar with Tcl_CreateObjTrace() ? Does it accomplish what you need? -- | Don Porter Mathematical and Computational Sciences Division | | donald.porter@nist.gov Information Technology Laboratory | | http://mat...

1. Thank you everyone for your help. 2. Tcl/Tk Designer 3. Text Editor Widget
Hello CLT Thank you everyone that responds to my posts asking for info. I really appreciate it. At this stage of my tcl career I can ask many more questions than I can answer. Speaking of questions, here are a few more: 1. Is there a tcl/tk based user interface designer available? There has been no recent activity on VTCL, and SpecTcl looks even older. I am not averse to using VTCL. I would just prefer to use something that is being actively maintained. 2. Is there a text editor widget that I can drop into an application? I realize I could put something together with the text widget and perhaps ntext. The problem is that this editing feature is not the focus of my application. It adds value for sure. However I cannot spend much of my time there. Try ctext at http://wiki.tcl.tk/4134 /Ashok On Sep 16, 7:07 am, Kuberan Naganathan <kube...@att.net> wrote: > Hello CLT > > Thank you everyone that responds to my posts asking for info. I really > appreciate it. At this stage of my tcl career I can ask many more > questions than I can answer. > > Speaking of questions, here are a few more: > > 1. Is there a tcl/tk based user interface designer available? > There has been no recent activity on VTCL, and SpecTcl looks even > older. I am not averse to using VTCL. I would just prefer to use > something that is being actively maintained. > > 2. Is there a text editor...

Debugger for Tcl/Tk and [incr Tcl]

Editor to TCL/Tk
Hi What editor do you use to TCL/TK ?? Krzysztof Otrebski Krzysztof Otrebski wrote: > Hi > What editor do you use to TCL/TK ?? > > Krzysztof Otrebski > Does http://mini.net/tcl/1184 help answer your question? (Me, I use emacs with the occasional foray into Komodo.) -- 73 de ke9tv/2, Kevin I have been using a freeware editor called context (http://www.fixedsys.com/context/) to learn tcl/tk. This editor highlights tcl keywords and you can program function keys to execute your code. Robert Goh "Krzysztof Otrebski" <krzyh@student.agh.edu.pl> wrote in message news:bkkmhc$pm0$1@nemesis.news.tpi.pl... > Hi > What editor do you use to TCL/TK ?? > > Krzysztof Otrebski > Krzysztof Otrebski <krzyh@student.agh.edu.pl> wrote: : What editor do you use to TCL/TK ?? There are two editors out there, regardless of operating system - vim and emacs. Anything else causes cancer in rats. Choice among two is religious question, so propaganda of one against another is typically considered impolite in most newsgroups. -- Krzysztof Otrebski wrote: > Hi > What editor do you use to TCL/TK ?? > > Krzysztof Otrebski > Try ASED from http://www.mms-forum.de/ased/asedhome.htm Sauli Krzysztof Otrebski <krzyh@student.agh.edu.pl> wrote in message news:<bkkmhc$pm0$1@nemesis.news.tpi.pl>... > Hi > What editor do you use to TCL/TK ?? > > Krzysztof Otrebski TextPad: http://www.textpad.c...

Tcl/Tk from C
I want to write applications in C and create graphics/widgets/etc using Tcl/Tk library. I have no interest in programming Tcl/Tk except what is essential. Is there anywhere just one complete example of a C program that creates, say, a window containing a widget then obtaining input from that? Then I can work from that. At present I have an example that only creates an empty window, plus a huge amount of docs that tell me everything except how it all fits together. Thanks, Bart Bart C wrote: [...] If using C++ for your application isn't problem, then C++/Tk seems to be best choice: http://cpptk.sourceforge.net/ Else... I've no idea :) -- Pozdrawiam (Greetings)! Googie ...

Tcl/TK and C
Hi all, I've previously attempted to write a game-type application that consists mostly of a bunch of pieces the user can move with a mouse. I should mention here that I'm from a hardware background, and not super experienced with PC applications. My first attempt was purely in C++, using MFC with Visual Studio. I managed to make something somewhat functional, but in the end the complexity of the whole thing got the better of me, and I grew bored with the project. Recently, I've picked up Tcl/Tk, and it seems that the whole Tk toolkit is an excellent way to reduce the complexity I was running into (the canvas widget automates everything I struggled for weeks to figure out). On the downside, I still want some of the extra power of C/C++, especially pointers and more complicated data structures. I'm vaguely familiar with the process of extending Tcl/Tk by writing a function in C, and calling it from Tcl. What I'd like is to be able to use Tk only as a GUI, and retain all the data structures and computations behind the scenes in C. Is there a way to hold all your data in C structures, and share that data with the Tk GUI? One thing I had from Visual Studio was a project using the Document/View architecture. If I could implement the View in Tk, but keep the Document in C, I think I'd be on track. I know this is a very broad and somewhat vague question (reflecting my level of experience). If anyone can point me in the right direction, eit...

C + Tcl/Tk
I'm a newbie of Tcl language and I would like to know how I could create a GUI in Tcl/Tk for a console program written in C, 'cause I'd like to write a platform indipendent Graphical application. I found out some helps from the "Load" page of ActiveTcl help on-line. Do you know further sites/references where I can find some stuff and help? Thanks in andvance for your replies. ffgg2005@tiscali.it wrote: > I'm a newbie of Tcl language and I would like to know how I could > create a GUI in Tcl/Tk for a console program written in C, 'cause I'd > like to write a platform indipendent Graphical application. > I found out some helps from the "Load" page of ActiveTcl help on-line. > Do you know further sites/references where I can find some stuff and > help? Hi, What exactly are you trying to do? Do you want to integrate Tcl with the program at the C level, or just make a "wrapper"? BTW, there is a tcl-italian mailing list, if you are interested - search for "tcl-italian" on google. Ciao, -- David N. Welton - http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/ Apache, Linux, Tcl Consulting - http://www.dedasys.com/ David N. Welton ha scritto: > ffgg2005@tiscali.it wrote: > > I'm a newbie of Tcl language and I would like to know how I could > > create a GUI in Tcl/Tk for a console program written in C, 'cause I'd > > like to write a platform indipendent Graphical application. > &...

Wrap tcl/tk script with a C/C++ dll for windows
My company has a software tool that consists of a command-line driven shell that can load extension .dll files. I'd like to add a tk gui to my extension dll file. I am currently looking into freewrap: http://freewrap.sourceforge.net/ and mktclapp: www.hwaci.com/sw/mktclapp/mktclapp.html But I figured I might get more experienced information (and possibly quicker answers) here. Example of use (in the windows command line box): C:\MasterShell>mastershell MasterShell V 3.14159 > load newtkgui (at this point it loads newtkgui.dll) > Either the gui takes over completely (probably easier), or the shell or the gui can both enter commands. The main point is, I don't want to recast mastershell as a slave to a tk gui (using expect, for instance), although that's a possibility. I've been doing some experiments with it and I keep getting socket disconnects when I run wish or tclsh from the "mastershell" though that's probably a mastershell problem. Thanks, Rufus In article <1102002088.XDKV9OF4B2AClpOoX63anw@teranews>, Rufus V. Smith <nospam@nospam.com> wrote: >My company has a software tool that consists of a command-line driven shell >that can load extension .dll files. > >I'd like to add a tk gui to my extension dll file. > >I am currently looking into freewrap: http://freewrap.sourceforge.net/ > >and mktclapp: www.hwaci.com/sw/mktclapp/mktclapp.html > >But I figured I might get m...

Using Tcl/Tk 8.4.7 from C/C++
Hi, I just discovered Tcl/Tk and fairly excited about it :) I'm interested in using both Tcl/Tk on one c++ project and only Tk on another c++ project. 1. C++ Tk only project: I'm interested in using Tk within my c/c++ project. The project only has 5-6 dialogs using just the standard widgets. Is it fairly common to use Tk directly from c/c++--and is it fairly easy? 2. C++ Tcl/Tk only project: I'm interested in using both Tcl and Tk from within a c/c++ application. Is maketclapp the best way to go or are there better ways? Maketclapp doesn't seem to have been updated in a while...but the security features (hiding tcl source) is compelling for this particular project. Thanks. ...

Incr Tcl /Tk for Tcl 8.4

Newbie to Tcl/Tk: Question about Tcl and VxWorks....
Hello All, I have tried looking on the offical tcl/tk website and also at WindRiver's without success. Please forgive my ignorance on this, but is tcl/tk available for VxWorks or is there in progress a port going on. Many thanks in advance, Richard "Richard Latter" <richard_l@latter.demon.co.uk> writes: > I have tried looking on the offical tcl/tk website and also at WindRiver's > without success. Please forgive my ignorance on this, but is tcl/tk > available for VxWorks or is there in progress a port going on. I have ancient Tcl 7.3 here, but don't know of newer ports. Donald Arseneau asnd@triumf.ca ...

Tcl Book that explains tcl C API?
Hi! I am looking for material that explains the tcl C API in order to: - Embed Tcl into a C application. - Extend Tcl to add new commands in C. Does Tcl and Tk Toolkit (2nd Edition) by Ken Jones and John Ousterhout do a good job explain these topics in depth? Thanks! Asif wrote: > Hi! > > I am looking for material that explains the tcl C API in order to: > > - Embed Tcl into a C application. > - Extend Tcl to add new commands in C. > > Does Tcl and Tk Toolkit (2nd Edition) by Ken Jones and John Ousterhout do > a good job explain these topics in depth? > > Thanks! can help you cheap:; http://freecomputerbooks.com/langTclBooks.html -- -- -- What's on Shortwave guide: choose an hour, go! http://shortwave.tk 700+ Radio Stations on SW http://swstations.tk 300+ languages on SW http://radiolanguages.tk marc wrote: > Asif wrote: > >> Hi! >> >> I am looking for material that explains the tcl C API in order to: >> >> - Embed Tcl into a C application. >> - Extend Tcl to add new commands in C. >> >> Does Tcl and Tk Toolkit (2nd Edition) by Ken Jones and John Ousterhout do >> a good job explain these topics in depth? >> >> Thanks! > > > can help you cheap:; > http://freecomputerbooks.com/langTclBooks.html Would you really trust a site which *PRESUMES* the whole world uses their preferred settings and the heck with the visually imperfect. The resu...

Tcl to C or C++
Hi all, does anyone know some tool (free or not) capable to translate Tcl source code to C or C++? Of course I believe to translate only a subset of Tcl language (1), while statements like this: #...some code that algorithmically generate the string a, where a is # almost-arbitrary code eval $a cannot be translated at all, except with somewhat complex solutions! Thank you (1) I'm thinking to traslate Tcl source code written using a subset of Tcl keywords and by following some coding rules; for example I'd avoid this: #...some code that calculates a and b set $a$b 0 Stefano Chiappa Dear Stefano, Is there a reason for wanting this convertion? As I have tried to do such a project in the past, it turned out that the resulting C code was much more slower & memory wasting than the corrsponing tcl code, so I gave up :-) So, for such a tool a severe investment on optimisations has to be made, in order for the generated C code to be of use. I remember that there was at least one such commercial compiler in the past, but I don't know if it is still active. See for example: http://groups.google.com.gr/groups?q=aotto+compiler&hl=el&lr=&group=comp.lang.tcl.*&selm=pgpmoose.200101222138.11399%40non.non.net&rnum=1 I remember that I had tested the compiler and indeed it gave some speedup over the tclc code. However, I believe the speedup was due to the heavy optimisation that was done by the author, and not from the fact that it was converted i...

FAQ (unanswered): possible to use Tk without Tcl (in c/c++)
Googling turned up dozens of questions about using tk without tcl. But there doesn't seem to be a clear answer. Is it possible to use Tk without Tcl? Specifically, I'd like to use Tk from c/c++ without using Tcl. More specifically, I'd like to statically link in the Tk library and use it directly from c/c++. H. Simpson wrote: > Googling turned up dozens of questions about using tk without tcl. But > there doesn't seem to be a clear answer. > > Is it possible to use Tk without Tcl? > > Specifically, I'd like to use Tk from c/c++ without using Tcl. More > specifically, I'd like to statically link in the Tk library and use it > directly from c/c++. The Perl/Tk people did it. The Python/Tkinter people took the other route of embedding a Tcl interpreter along with it. It is possible, but its wasting a lot of Tk's capabilities, that come from the Tcl language. A second problem is the Tk C-Api. Do you have any special reasons to use Tk without Tcl? Michael Michael Schlenker wrote: > H. Simpson wrote: > >> Googling turned up dozens of questions about using tk without tcl. >> But there doesn't seem to be a clear answer. >> >> Is it possible to use Tk without Tcl? >> >> Specifically, I'd like to use Tk from c/c++ without using Tcl. More >> specifically, I'd like to statically link in the Tk library and use it >> directly from c/c++. >...

Tcl and the Tk Toolkit--no coverage of Tk's C API
I'm reading the second edition of Tcl and the Tk Toolkit, and am finding it very informative. I appreciate the coverage of the ttk widgets, in particular the tree widget, which has always been somewhat difficult for me to grok. The coverage of Tcl's C API is also very helpful; I'm learning a lot from that. However, there's one conspicuous omission from the book: Tk's C API. On p. 19, the book notes that "Tk provides a library that you can use to create new widget classes and geometry managers in C, but this capability is rarely used and so is not covered in this book." I have to say, I'm disappointed. As one who's been trying to learn Tk's C API, it would be nice to see an up-to-date, structured overview of the Tk C API that follows the same structure as the book's discussion of Tcl's C API. The Brent Welch book has a detailed overview of how to write a Tk widget in C, but I find it hard to follow. (Perhaps this will become easier to manage after I digest the general Tcl/C API discussion in Osterhout/Jones.) I can't help but wonder if the new book's attitude about the Tk C API--that it's "rarely used"--explains, or at least is a symptom of, Tk's slow pace of evolution over the years relative to other toolkits. The Tcl core community is pretty small, but Tk's core of C developers is even smaller. By my count, there are three active members of the TCT who actively develop Tk, an...

tcl/tk unicode wie kann man formel/math. zeichen in tk unter tcl anzeigen lassen?
Hallo, ich schreibe gerade an einen programm, dass auf windows unix und vielleicht auch anderen plattformen laufen soll. es sollen auch mathematische zeichen wie alpha 'm�' etc. dargestellt werden. mit welchen zeichensatz (vielleicht unicode) kann man dies realisieren? funktioniert es mit einen zeichensatz f�r alle plattformen unabh�ngig? English summary for the rest of the world: sven.rega@gmx.de would like to use mathematical symbols like "mu" in Tk applications. He asks if Unicode is the solution and whether that works on all platforms. I assert that Unicode works since Tcl 8.1 and that UCN syntax like \u00B5 is the way to go with symbols hardcoded in Tcl scripts. I point him to "charmap.exe" (Windows), "Character Palette" (Mac OS X) or generically to <http://www.unicode.org> to find out the Unicode code points. ---------------- Hi, Versuch doch bitte beim n�chsten Mal auf Englisch zu fragen, sonst kann Dir nur ein Bruchteil der Leute hier folgen. sven.rega@gmx.de (xfan) writes: > ich schreibe gerade an einen programm, dass auf windows unix und > vielleicht auch anderen plattformen laufen soll. es sollen auch > mathematische zeichen wie alpha 'm�' etc. dargestellt werden. mit > welchen zeichensatz (vielleicht unicode) kann man dies realisieren? Ja, das funktioniert mit Unicode in Tcl seit Version 8.1. > funktioniert es mit einen zeichensatz f�r alle plattformen > unabh�ngig? Das ist die ...

E.J. Friedman-Hill's Tcl/Tk Course

In Tcl and C++ code, how to use Tcl Command, such as exit?
In my code, i used Tcl_SetStdChannel(0, STDIN) and a thread to control all input and output from Tcl, but i want to use some of Tcl' Commands, such as, exit. I used Tcl_Eval() then, but the Tcl command seem invisible in my code, I typed a string in command prompt, such as "AAAAA", and Enter, got nothing feedback. How can i do to get these Tcl Commands work? Thanx! vian1381@china.com.cn wrote: > In my code, i used Tcl_SetStdChannel(0, STDIN) and a thread to control > all input and output from Tcl, but i want to use some of Tcl' Commands, > such as, exit. > > I used Tcl_Eval() then, but the Tcl command seem invisible in my code, > I typed a string in command prompt, such as "AAAAA", and Enter, got > nothing feedback. Your questions are hard to understand, but they suggest that you believe that setting a custom stdin channel will do some magic to establsh a prompt/read/eval loop. That is not the case. > How can i do to get these Tcl Commands work? Start with something that works, like the source code for tclsh, and adapt to your needs. Or post a followup and include more code examples to explain what you're doing and how it doesn't do what you expect. -- | Don Porter Mathematical and Computational Sciences Division | | donald.porter@nist.gov Information Technology Laboratory | | http://math.nist.gov/~DPorter/ NIST | |_____________________________________...

Web resources about - Text/C editor written in Tcl/Tk - comp.lang.tcl

Carson on Supporting Trump: I’m Reassured He Doesn’t Believe ‘Outlandish’ Things He Says
In explaining his decision to support Donald Trump for the presidency, Ben Carson revealed yesterday that Trump has privately told him that he ...

Billie Lourd Will Return With A Larger Role In ‘Star Wars Episode 8’
Billie Lourd was on the red carpet for Fox’s Scream Queens at Paleyfest on Saturday night. We’ll have a full story on Scream Queens later but ...

Lee Sedol Finally Beats Google’s AI In One Go Match
If you’ve not been following tech news recently, you might not have heard about a rather interesting five-game series taking place between Google ...

Divers Pull Body of 2nd Tugboat Crew Member From Hudson River; 3rd Man in Tugboat Crash Still Missing ...
Divers pull body of 2nd tugboat crew member from Hudson River; 3rd man in tugboat crash still missing

Doctor urged psychiatric hospital for Germanwings pilot before crash
Reuters Doctor urged psychiatric hospital for Germanwings pilot before crash Reuters PARIS A doctor consulted by the German pilot who crashed ...

Daylight Saving Time
Tech Times Daylight Saving Time - Is It An Idea Whose Time Is Past? Tech Times Daylight saving time means most Americans recently set their ...

Islamic State Is Giving Birth Control to Female Captives to Keep Them Fit as Sex Slaves — NYT
TheBlaze.com Islamic State Is Giving Birth Control to Female Captives to Keep Them Fit as Sex Slaves — NYT TheBlaze.com Islamic State fighters ...

Officials say unrest at prison in Alabama leaves 2 hurt
Inmates set a fire, seized control of a dormitory and stabbed two corrections officials during a violent uprising at a prison in southern Alabama, ...

How Dragon Age’s David Gaider joined the old-school role-playing game renaissance
FEATURE: David Gaider is now part of the renaissance. The acclaimed writer for blockbuster Dragon Age role-playing game series left EA-owned ...

Unusually widespread flooding across Louisiana, Mississippi
HATTIESBURG, Miss. (AP) — As the Leaf River rose north of Hattiesburg, Mississippi, 26-year-old Rebecca Bruce and her fiancé grabbed what they ...