TK entry fields don't work in SuSE 9.3

After installing SuSE 9.3 recently, my Tcl/Tk scripts
have a serious problem: it is no longer possible to
enter text into "entry" fields! These scripts
worked fine with SuSE 9.2. I am using
ActiveTcl8.4.6.1. Anyone else experiencing this problem?

Thanks-

0
fleon (2)

QuestionAuthority wrote:
> After installing SuSE 9.3 recently, my Tcl/Tk scripts
> have a serious problem: it is no longer possible to
> enter text into "entry" fields! These scripts
> worked fine with SuSE 9.2. I am using
> ActiveTcl8.4.6.1. Anyone else experiencing this problem?

The problem is being tracked as Tk bug #1204469:

     http://sf.net/support/tracker.php?aid=1204469

It appears to be an unwanted interaction between the SCIM
input manager and Tk.  A workaround, if you don't do input
in Simplified Hanzi, is to uninstall SCIM or set
INPUT_METHOD="none" in /etc/sysconfig/language .

There seems to be a serious lack of expertise in XIM and
its impact on Tk; the input management code is in need
of a serious overhaul, but we haven't yet found anyone that
knows how!

--
73 de ke9tv/2, Kevin
0
Kevin Kenny wrote:
> QuestionAuthority wrote:
>
>> After installing SuSE 9.3 recently, my Tcl/Tk scripts
>> have a serious problem: it is no longer possible to
>> enter text into "entry" fields! These scripts
>> worked fine with SuSE 9.2. I am using
>> ActiveTcl8.4.6.1. Anyone else experiencing this problem?
>

> The problem is being tracked as Tk bug #1204469:
>
>     http://sf.net/support/tracker.php?aid=1204469
>
> It appears to be an unwanted interaction between the SCIM
> input manager and Tk.  A workaround, if you don't do input
> in Simplified Hanzi, is to uninstall SCIM or set
> INPUT_METHOD="none" in /etc/sysconfig/language .
>
> There seems to be a serious lack of expertise in XIM and
> its impact on Tk; the input management code is in need
> of a serious overhaul, but we haven't yet found anyone that
> knows how!
>
> --
> 73 de ke9tv/2, Kevin

This does not seem to happen with the tcl/tk version
distributed by SuSE:
xyz@123:~> uname -a; cat /etc/SuSE-release
Linux robert 2.6.11.4-20a-default #1 Wed Mar 23 21:52:37 UTC 2005 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux
SuSE Linux 9.3 (i586)
VERSION = 9.3

xyz@123:~> rpm -q tcl tk xorg-x11-server
tcl-8.4.9-7
tk-8.4.9-9
xorg-x11-server-6.8.2-30

xyz@123t:~> ./entrytest.tcl
( entry works ( local Display and remote through ssh -X )

xyz@123:~> cat entrytest.tcl ( example script from bugreport )
#!/usr/bin/wish

text .en
label .status -text "Hello World"
pack .en
pack .status

uwe

Thanks, setting INPUT_METHOD="none" and
logging in/out solved the problem. But, we
are a multi-lingual family needing Japanese
language support, so this is not the most elegant work-around.
Actually, the improved
support of multiple-languages in recent Linux
releases has greatly interested my wife.
Thanks for your help.

0
fleon (2)

AOL 9.0 don't do it just don't . Don't even think of it.
I had 8.0, and it ran fine. I downloaded 9.0 and that was the end of my computer never having a problem. 3 years and no problems. 1 week with AOL 9.0 and I've had 27 error messages , sign offs and other problems. AOL was no help. They can't even admit it has a problem. So I had to REFORMAT MY HARD DRIVE AND INSTALL ALL MY PROGRAMS AND ALL MY SAVED FILES. Needless to say I no longer have AOL at all. Reformat and get rid of it. ...

dead keys don't work in KDE with KDE 3.4.3 and Xorg 6.9?
Hi, I have here Debian/sid with KDE 3.4.3 and Xorg 6.9. After some troubles with keyboard I managed to make my keyboard to work with the Czech keyboard. This is my settings in xorg.conf: Section "InputDevice" Identifier "Generic Keyboard" Driver "kbd" Option "CoreKeyboard" Option "XkbRules" "xorg" Option "XkbModel" "pc104" Option "XkbLayout" "cz,us" Option "XkbOptions" "compose:caps,grp:shifts_toggle,grp:led_scroll" Option "XkbVariant" "qwert...

I don't work for IBM and I don't make promises I can't deliver on
I wish I could afford an advertising campaign to compete with what they have on the Internet now. I promise to go totally ballistic at the next LLLNL contract. Robert. On 8/12/2011 11:24 PM, Robert Myers wrote: > I wish I could afford an advertising campaign to compete with what they > have on the Internet now. > > I promise to go totally ballistic at the next LLLNL contract. > > Robert. I don't work for IBM (anymore) either. If you are talking about the death of Blue Waters, I don't believe they said they couldn't deliver. They said they chose not to because they would lose a bunch of money on the project since it turned out to cost a lot more than the initial guess. And I guess Ben chose not to print some more to pay for it. On Aug 24, 11:17=A0pm, Del Cecchi <delcec...@gmail.com> wrote: > On 8/12/2011 11:24 PM, Robert Myers wrote: > > > I wish I could afford an advertising campaign to compete with what they > > have on the Internet now. > > > I promise to go totally ballistic at the next LLLNL contract. > > > Robert. > > I don't work for IBM (anymore) either. =A0If you are talking about the > death of Blue Waters, I don't believe they said they couldn't deliver. > They said they chose not to because they would lose a bunch of money on > the project since it turned out to cost a lot more than the initial guess= .. > > And I guess Ben chose not to print some mor...

Displaying Table Field in a report's title-bar ??? don't say it can't |3 done.
I have a Report and am trying to display some Fields from the table that the Report is producing in the title-bar of the window. I try things like: Me.Caption = [TABLE_NAME].[FIELD1] + " " [TABLE_NAME].[FIELD2] I want it to display the first and last name of the person the report is about in the title-bar -- because the data is used for a servay. The name can't be printed--but I'd like it to display in the title bar so that the end user can match the names together. How could I code this in Access? I get alot of wierd errors trying 2 do this? Thanx. P.S. Is there a way to show the user a value in the report, and not allow the printer to print it. I just thought it could be cool to have the name of the person the report is about in the title-bar. I am using Access 2002, and don't mind scripting if i have to. Me.Caption = [TABLE_NAME].[FIELD1] & " " & [TABLE_NAME].[FIELD2] use the ampersand when concatenating fields, the plus sign indicates you are trying to do a mathematical operation ____________________________________________________________________________ ________ select text box you want to hide during print properties format tab display when - change from always to screen only "Franz Kafka" <Symbolics_XL1201_Sebek_Budo_Kafka@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:b3b6b110.0308231302.110cbe7a@posting.google.com... > I have a Report and am trying to display some Fields from the > table that the ...

Databases Don't Work With OSes; OSes Don't Work With Databases -- Windos 2003 "You've Made A Mess" Say Irate Users !?!!
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=windows+2003+server+problem&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&as_drrb=b&as_mind=12&as_minm=2&as_miny=2004&as_maxd=7&as_maxm=6&as_maxy=2004&selm=ObEBOsECEHA.684%40tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl&rnum=1 Search Result 1 From: Dave Verwer (d.verwer@link-hrsystems.com) Subject: Problem with SQL Server & MSDTC on Windows 2003 (dtctester.exe related) View: Complete Thread (9 articles) Original Format Newsgroups: microsoft.public.sqlserver.server, microsoft.public.windows.server.general Date: 2004-03-12 08:02:14 PST Hi all I am not su...

Waste MORE MONEY on SUSE 9.3?? I DON'T THINK SO!!!!!!!!!!!!
So now Suse is releasing 9.3, which should have been 9.2 which should have been 9.1 and 9.0 and all the others. Sorry but I am not going to bite this time. I have been sucked in by Suse way too many times to be fooled again. Suse is an overpriced, bug riddled, unstable conglomeration of alpha quality applications that simply put just don't work. Sorry but my days of being a beta tester for Suse are long gone especially when I have to PAY THEM to test their buggy software. Good bye suse and hello Slackware. It's free and it works. (net_kopper_linux_fool_exposer@yahoo.com (linux_foo...

SusE 9.3 Riddled With Bugs! Don't Waste Your Money Or Your Time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I've just wasted $94.00 and 2 days trying to make this POS perform as well as the glowing reviews on the Novel "paid for" sites. I finally gave up. Here is just some of the bugs in this POS: Grub clobbered my MBR and didn't allow me to boot anything. My mouse pointer can't be seen on the screen but I see the objects highlight so I can click on them anyway. I just don't see a pointer. Xorg set some really wild interlaced mode at 230hz and my monitor went bezerk. I have a basic Matrox G200 card. I still can't make sound work. My USB Samsung 1710 printer will n...

Linux crapware victim: Mepis8 'collapsed'... webcams don't work on Ubuntu 12.04..."Don't tell me to build a kernel..."
"I need my webcam to work with flash on web pages so that I can speak to family members overseas (Kopete and suchlike). I used mepis8 for years and everything was perfect, my webcams (three different makes), printers and anything else I cared to plug in worked from the off. lovely!! Then mepis8 collapsed suddenly and nothing worked. I tried the newer mepis variants and every other linux distro that I came across to solve the problem, but nothing works. I'm now using ubuntu 12.04, because it's not windows I suppose, but it's far from what I need. ...

links don't work on smb-mounted Devices OSX 10.3.9
Hi, on OSX 10.3.9 "Links" (hard/soft) don't work on smb-mounted devices. :-( Why can't use Apple the normal smb-client, that is part of the Samba-Suite? On Linux-systems smb-mounted devices support Links. How long do we have to wait, until the System-Programmers at Apple recognize, that it is a UNIX-System =;-( Does anyone has a Replacement to mount a Samba-Server ? (AFP is NOT an Option) Thanks, Joachim -- nospam_gothe03@dm.fh-hannover.de Joachim Gothe wrote: > on OSX 10.3.9 "Links" (hard/soft) don't work on smb-mounted devices. > :-( > > W...

MS Bluetooth KB & Mouse Don't work in SLP 9.3 Desktop
I haved installed SLP 9.3 Desktop and the KDE Desktop environment on a Sony Vaio Laptop model PCG-K25, duel boot with WinXP and the GRUB loader and a /boot partition at the very front of the 1 and only HDD. I have been using it for a week now. I have had nothing but problems trying to get either the Microsoft Keyboard Elite for Bluetooth and the Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer for Bluetooth mouse in SLP. I have had it on the WinXP fine for the last 7 months. Now, as I have installed SLP, the WinXP only sees the mouse, and not the KB, and SuSE doesn't work at all, yet did right at first. I have pushed in all the SLP and WinXP Updates and patches, but that didn't make any improvements. I have on the WinXP side, ripped out and re-installed the the Bluetooth KB and Mouse, and it worked, then only the mouse worked in SLP when I booted that that. then after another reboot to both, they quite working again. What can anyone make of this? Are there any known issues about MS Bluetooth KB/Mouses and SLP 9.3 I should know and a good work around, as I would love to not use this difficult laptop kb and finger pad mouse. Many thanks in advance. --Jay Quinn ...

TCL 'infotag get med_envelope_from' doesn't work on IOS 12.3(6) ?
Hallo, Does anybody know why I cant use: infotag get med_envelope_from on IOS 12.3(6) ? How can I obtain e-mail from address in mmoip dial-peer application (off-ramp fax). Thank you in advance, Hypnos ...

Re: Don't Call. Don't Write. Let Me Be. #3
On Jan 22, 1:01 pm, DevilsPGD <spam_narf_s...@crazyhat.net> wrote: > In message <telecom26.22...@telecom-digest.org>: > Not so much that they get away with it, paying the fines is just a > cost of business. The vast, vast majority of the consumers will not go to the trouble of carefully tracking and reporting illegal solicitation calls. So the solicitors never get into trouble in the first place and thus there is no fine. They use techniques that mask their caller-ID. VOIP carrier?. "Fly-by-night" long distance carrier that simply doesn't pass along the data? Even if a consumer does report a complaint, the authorities only act upon receiving a great many complaints that are solidly substantiated. Again, the chance that will happen is very small. It was a common trick in the old days for scammers to rent a storefront and fake a busy business, do their thing for a few months, then take off before the victims and authorities could react. By the time they do, they only find an empty store, the criminals are long gone. In the modern world, it's a lot easier, no physical property (and expense) is required. Just create a website or telephone carrier, which thanks to deregulation and our beloved "open world*" is very easy to do. Remember the problem with illegal long distance carrier switching? *See Pat's comments on this in a separate post issued today. In my opinion, the problems we ha...

FAQ 3.24 Why don't Perl one-liners work on my DOS/Mac/VMS system? #9
This is an excerpt from the latest version perlfaq3.pod, which comes with the standard Perl distribution. These postings aim to reduce the number of repeated questions as well as allow the community to review and update the answers. The latest version of the complete perlfaq is at http://faq.perl.org . -------------------------------------------------------------------- 3.24: Why don't Perl one-liners work on my DOS/Mac/VMS system? The problem is usually that the command interpreters on those systems have rather different ideas about quoting than the Unix shells under which...

MS Bluetooth KB & Mouse Don't work in SLP 9.3 Desktop
I haved installed SLP 9.3 Desktop and the KDE Desktop environment on a Sony Vaio Laptop model PCG-K25, duel boot with WinXP and the GRUB loader and a /boot partition at the very front of the 1 and only HDD. I have been using it for a week now. I have had nothing but problems trying to get either the Microsoft Keyboard Elite for Bluetooth and the Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer for Bluetooth mouse in SLP. I have had it on the WinXP fine for the last 7 months. Now, as I have installed SLP, the WinXP only sees the mouse, and not the KB, and SuSE doesn't work at all, yet did right at first. ...

((car '(+ *)) 2 3) don't work
Why do "car" only work on function elements that are not first in a list? Any explanation for why this is so, or way to fix it? I thought that ((car '(+ *)) 2 3) would give (+ 2 3) -> 5 but it does not, even though (car '(+ *)) -> + and (+ (car '(2 3)) 4) gives 5. Likewise ((car ((lambda (a b) (+ a b)) 2 3)) 4 5) does not give (+ 4 5) even though ( car '((lambda ( a b) (+ a b)) 1 2) ) gives (lambda (a b) (+ a b)) and ((lambda ( a b) (+ a b)) 2 3) gives 5 Kim0 kim@pvv.ntnu.no (Kim G. S. �yhus) writes: > Why do "car" only w...

Re: AOL 9.0 Don't do it, Don't Even Think of it.
In a message dated 11/14/03 11:01:54 PM Eastern Standard Time, whorunwerun@aol.com (whorunwerun) wrote: > I had 8.0, and it ran fine. I downloaded 9.0 and that was the end of > my computer never having a problem. 3 years and no problems. 1 week > with AOL 9.0 and I've had 27 error messages , sign offs and other > problems. > AOL was no help. They can't even admit it has a problem. So I had to > REFORMAT MY HARD DRIVE AND INSTALL ALL MY PROGRAMS AND ALL MY SAVED > FILES. Needless to say I no longer have AOL at all. Reformat and get > rid of it. Perhaps, just perhaps, your problems were unique to your machine. I ran 8.0 without incident. I downloaded 9.0 several weeks ago and I've not had a single problem. ...

Suse 9.0 didn't work
Just installed Suse 9. It went smoothly and seems to work but I've had some problems with it. Also tried Mandrake 9.2 but had installation issues. I'm hoping someone could answer a few questions before I try another install (choosing packages takes forever! : ) ) I've listed my hardware specifics at the bottom of this post. During the Mandrake 9.2 install, it just stopped after the installation summary. The installation was about 90% done... packages installed, most of the configuration completed, etc. Any ideas why this might of happened? Suse 9 installed without a problem (using Gnome, not KDE). It seemed to be running well but I had a bunch of "newbie" issues... Sorry that I don't have details, but I can't find a newsreader in my Suse installation so I have to boot back to WinXP to post questions. It's even harder when I'm in Linux and have to reboot to XP just to see the helpful posts you guys provide. - No screensavers installed - No news reader installed (or at least not on the menu) - Three different browsers (Konquerer, Mozilla and Galeon(?)) installed, but no icons on the menu for them. Also, double clicking an HTM file showed that there was no program installed for HTM files. - Tried to run the "Check.sh" script supplied by ATI to figure out what version of XFree86 I had ("XFree86 -version" works fine ATI!) and I just got a bunch of errors saying that files were missing. - Try...

OS X 10.3.3 and Epson 740... don't work
I have a similar problem as a previous poster: Apson 740 won't work. Except that (a) I am running 10.3.3 and (b) I can neither use the utilities nor getting a orint job out. When trying to pring, the Mac goes through the motions, shows a dialog that it is printing, and then nothing. I can't list jobs (in fact, an open window with the job list disappears & can't be opemned again). ??? Help ??? Uli In article <uli_nospam-C842EE.20425321102004@news.stanford.edu>, Uli Wienands <uli_nospam@remove.slac.stanford.edu> wrote: > I have a similar prob...

i can't insert 'a''a' in a field with size 3
hi, i run INSERT INTO test (FIELD1) VALUES ('a''a') but DBMS oracle returns this error: ORA-01401: inserted value too large for column (FIELD1 size is 3!) what's the error? Fici wrote: > hi, > i run > INSERT INTO test (FIELD1) VALUES ('a''a') > but DBMS oracle returns this error: > ORA-01401: inserted value too large for column > (FIELD1 size is 3!) > what's the error? SQL> create table test ( 2 field1 VARCHAR2(3)); Table created. SQL> INSERT INTO test 2 (field1) 3 VALUES 4 ('a''a'); 1 row created. SQL> SELECT * FROM test; FIE --- a'a SQL> try the following in SQL*Plus: show define Post the result If you are not using SQL*Plus then your front-end tool is defective or needs to be reconfigured. -- Daniel A. Morgan Oracle Ace Director & Instructor University of Washington damorgan@x.washington.edu (replace x with u to respond) Puget Sound Oracle Users Group www.psoug.org On Mar 10, 6:38 pm, Fici <moretto.feder...@gmail.com> wrote: > hi, > i run > INSERT INTO test (FIELD1) VALUES ('a''a') > but DBMS oracle returns this error: > ORA-01401: inserted value too large for column > (FIELD1 size is 3!) > what's the error? Might be one of unicode charsets having each symbol more than one byte and column size defined in bytes not chars. Check DB charset and...

I sell various items for Amiga on EBAY, if you don't agree don't read and don't break my balls, understand mr. user?
See on this link: http://search.ebay.it/_W0QQsassZmousemikiQQhtZ-1 P.s. not all items are for Amiga, simple don't see others! ...

Muslim terror in Boston : Don't buy Crysis 3, don't buy Far Cry
Hi, if you buy Crysis 3 or Far Cry, you are supporting international terrorism like the attack in Boston, for which Al Qaeda is responsible. Crytek has been founded by Turkish muslim scum and they are supporting international terrorism like all muslims. So better buy a real gun today and shoot a muslim man, woman or child in the name of JESUS CHRIST! -F.R. > "ForerverRent" wrote > if you buy Crysis 3 or Far Cry, you are supporting international terrorism > like the attack in Boston, for which Al Qaeda is responsible. > Crytek has been fou...

Re: needed library for 9.3.2 that wasn't needed for 9.3.1. #3
> > On Fri, 31 Mar 2006, Mark Andrews wrote: > > > > > > > I am upgrading to version 9.3.2 on several of my Solaris 9 servers from > > > version 9.3.1. I notice that the named 9.3.2 binary requires the > > > libgcc_s.so library. Previous versions did not -- I would build the > > > binary on a server with a compiler and move the binaries to a production > > > server that does not. I do not have gcc installed on my production > > > servers, so libgcc_s.so does not exist. Is there a way to build Bind > > > version 9.3.2 so that it does not require the libgcc_s.so library to run? > > > > Don't build with gcc. Other than that install the library on the > > other machine. > > Just about all of the other applications puke if I try to compile them > with the Sun compiler -- they specify gcc. The other applications are not portable then. Or are they failing because they are being linked against libraries compiled with gcc? I've found that if you have libraries compiled with gcc you often can't link them into applications built with cc. The reverse is not true. The libraries built with cc are self complete and don't require compiler specific libraries to link against. > I have compiled 4.x up to > 9.3.1 with gcc. What is wrong with gcc? I don't even have a Sun compiler > anymore on my build server....

FAQ 3.24 Why don't Perl one-liners work on my DOS/Mac/VMS system? #3
This is an excerpt from the latest version perlfaq3.pod, which comes with the standard Perl distribution. These postings aim to reduce the number of repeated questions as well as allow the community to review and update the answers. The latest version of the complete perlfaq is at http://faq.perl.org . -------------------------------------------------------------------- 3.24: Why don't Perl one-liners work on my DOS/Mac/VMS system? The problem is usually that the command interpreters on those systems have rather different ideas about quoting than the Unix shells under which...

FAQ 3.25 Why don't Perl one-liners work on my DOS/Mac/VMS system? #3 335813
This message is one of several periodic postings to comp.lang.perl.misc intended to make it easier for perl programmers to find answers to common questions. The core of this message represents an excerpt from the documentation provided with Perl. -------------------------------------------------------------------- 3.25: Why don't Perl one-liners work on my DOS/Mac/VMS system? The problem is usually that the command interpreters on those systems have rather different ideas about quoting than the Unix shells under which the one-liners were created. On some systems, you may hav...

Web resources about - TK entry fields don't work in SuSE 9.3 - comp.lang.tcl