unanswered: will tcl use kqueue epoll as event loop in future?

Saw 2010 google summer of code doing it..

Will that come in tcl 9 or something?

Am I stealing thunder?

For those who don't know kqueue epoll are fast event based c libs that enable cherokee web server and friends to be very very fast.

Since they are an event loop, it would be huge performance win for tcl to use them....

kqueue is freebsd
epoll is linux

------enig2GPDMETPNIWACUNSISDWO

On 06/21/2013 10:21 AM, johannes falcone wrote:

> kqueue is freebsd
> epoll is linux

I/O completion ports (IOCP) is windows, though not a direct analogy

--=20

------enig2GPDMETPNIWACUNSISDWO

------enig2GPDMETPNIWACUNSISDWO--
0
davygrvy (1376)
------enig2NXWPFIKDHTVKXRWJBKSS

On 06/21/2013 10:26 AM, David Gravereaux wrote:
> On 06/21/2013 10:21 AM, johannes falcone wrote:
>=20
>> kqueue is freebsd
>> epoll is linux
>=20
> I/O completion ports (IOCP) is windows, though not a direct analogy
>=20

The last time I looked at the Tcl source for the notifier,
MsgWaitForMultipleObjects() does support completion callbacks during the
idle wait as far as I can tell.

--=20

------enig2NXWPFIKDHTVKXRWJBKSS

------enig2NXWPFIKDHTVKXRWJBKSS--
0
davygrvy (1376)
6/21/2013 6:44:20 PM
talking unix here

not windows

:)

www.freebsd.org :)

yeah!!
------enig2EGLJSOAENBJDNRQAVUNR

On 06/21/2013 12:21 PM, johannes falcone wrote:
> talking unix here
>=20
> not windows=20
>=20
> :)
>=20
> www.freebsd.org :)
>=20
> yeah!!
>=20

Sorry to have widened the topic to include nearly everyone..  Those
channel drivers on Win based around windows messages and hidden
graphical elements are perfect as they are, when they could be using a
more modern high performance event based system has no bearing
whatsoever on the topic at hand... not even in the slightest

--=20

------enig2EGLJSOAENBJDNRQAVUNR

------enig2EGLJSOAENBJDNRQAVUNR--
0
davygrvy (1376)

when will tcl use epoll or kqueue for the event loop/??
node vs tcl/wub! On 12/03/2014 09:19 AM, johannes falcone wrote: > node vs tcl/wub! What defects in Tcl_SetNotifier() are standing in the way? -- | Don Porter Applied and Computational Mathematics Division | | donald.porter@nist.gov Information Technology Laboratory | | http://math.nist.gov/~DPorter/ NIST | |______________________________________________________________________| On Wednesday, December 3, 2014 2:19:08 PM UTC, johannes falcone wrote: > node vs tcl/wub! http://widgetsandshit.com/teddziuba/2008/04/im...

is tcl going to use epoll or kqueue anytime soon for its event loop?
I saw 2010 google summer of code someone did it... I am pretty sure select syscall is still used. On 28/02/2012 20:31, gavino wrote: > I saw 2010 google summer of code someone did it... I am pretty sure > select syscall is still used. It's awkward because it is legal to have multiple threads waiting on the same file descriptor. That makes managing the event distribution rather awkward (it doesn't work if you put the same FD in the wait set twice). Doubly annoying is that there's a bug in the kqueue implementation on this machine that makes it not work for terminals. :-( D...

libev for epoll kqueue event loop for tcl maybe leverage google soc wgere student added?
http://freecode.com/projects/libev ...

adding events to tcl queue, or using variables and traces (C and TCL)
I'm writing simple testing framework for embedded application. The application is written on C language and runs on microchip PIC microcontroller normally. To test application I made the following: * hardware depended code was picked out from main source and written to separate source files (module_hal.c for example); * two build mode for program: for microchip PIC, using *_hal.c files dealing with real hardware, or for PC, where *_hal.c files contain hardware simulation code and bindings to TCL-commands. Then program was build for PC, I can using TCL commands change input signal st...

mojolicious and realtime web, events getting thier do? does tcl do this ? when tcl be epoll based?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRWzhJDyHB8 ...

event loop is non blocking web power of perls mojolicious old hat for tcl? epoll?

In Tcl and C++ code, how to use Tcl Command, such as exit?
In my code, i used Tcl_SetStdChannel(0, STDIN) and a thread to control all input and output from Tcl, but i want to use some of Tcl' Commands, such as, exit. I used Tcl_Eval() then, but the Tcl command seem invisible in my code, I typed a string in command prompt, such as "AAAAA", and Enter, got nothing feedback. How can i do to get these Tcl Commands work? Thanx! vian1381@china.com.cn wrote: > In my code, i used Tcl_SetStdChannel(0, STDIN) and a thread to control > all input and output from Tcl, but i want to use some of Tcl' Commands, > such as, exit. > &g...

tcl event loop question
I am launching wish from another application (Cadence Virtuoso). There is = some kind of blocking that is happening. Symptoms: I cannot interact with any widgets, i.e. I can't press a button but... I can interact with the window, i.e. I can resize it and the window gets re= freshed. Here's my wish script (yes that's the entire script): button .b -text "Exit" -command exit pack .b In a more complex test script I was able to send Tcl commands from Virtuoso= (Virtuoso sending on stdout, Tcl reading stdin), and eval this command to = trigger sending a command back to Virtuoso (Tcl sending stdout, Virtuoso re= ading stdin). So the wish application is not hung! But I still can't inte= ract with any widgets I put up on the GUI. If anybody has any ideas please send them along, thanks much! Am Dienstag, 17. September 2013 23:15:32 UTC+2 schrieb kbercaw: > I am launching wish from another application (Cadence Virtuoso). There i= s some kind of blocking that is happening. >=20 >=20 >=20 > Symptoms: >=20 > I cannot interact with any widgets, i.e. I can't press a button but... >=20 > I can interact with the window, i.e. I can resize it and the window gets = refreshed. >=20 >=20 >=20 > Here's my wish script (yes that's the entire script): >=20 > button .b -text "Exit" -command exit >=20 > pack .b >=20 >=20 >=20 > In a more comple...

running other tcl from a tcl
Is that possible? 1 - sequentially to call two tcl files, like: c:\> tclkit-8.4.7.exe first.tcl second.tcl 2 - from a tcl to call other one # first.tcl content below exec hello.tcl # end regards, mauro ps.: I'm not experience in Tcl. Mauro Silva wrote: > Is that possible? > > 1 - sequentially to call two tcl files, like: > > c:\> tclkit-8.4.7.exe first.tcl second.tcl > > 2 - from a tcl to call other one > > # first.tcl content below > > exec hello.tcl > > # end > > regards, > m...

Tcl+incr Tcl debuggers to use on command line?
Hi, Does anyone know of incr Tcl supported debuggers that work on command line? That is, without needing bundling with IDEs? Thanks On 10/11/14, 9:46 PM, kenneth.bull@gmail.com wrote: > Hi, > > Does anyone know of incr Tcl supported debuggers that work on command line? > That is, without needing bundling with IDEs? Well, the debugger in ActiveState's TDK does not need a bundled IDE and it works with [incr Tcl] -- but it is a GUI application not a command line one. -- +------------------------------------------------------------------------+ | Gerald W. L...

Tcl event loop and threading
Because Tcl is my primary programming language, I've absorbed the Tcl community's "best practices" approach toward using threading my programs--i.e, that the Tcl event loop makes threading unnecessary in most instances. None of my Tcl programs use threads, but instead use pipes, open, fileevent, and after to keep a GUI responsive during a long operation. This approach seems to work quite well. As I delve into other languages, such as Python, I'm struck by how much threading is assumed to be an integral part of any GUI program. All the code samples/"best prac...

This is an announcement for a relatively new Tcl project: tcl-gaul Tcl-gaul is a Tcl extension for genetic/evolutionary algorithm processing.It relies on the GAUL library: http://gaul.sourceforge.net/ * A genetic algorithm (GA) is a search technique used in computing to find exact or approximate solutions to optimization and search problems. Genetic algorithms are categorized as global search heuristics. They are a particular class of evolutionary algorithms that use techniques inspired by evolutionary biology such as inheritance, mutation, selection, and crossover. For ...

what exactly is event loop in Tcl ?
1) If its an infinite loop, how come the inifinite loop does not hang the machine when run ? 2) If it uses sleep statements before each invocation of the loop, isn't there any chance of missing events ? call_me_anything wrote: > 1) If its an infinite loop, how come the inifinite loop does not hang > the machine when run ? Welcome to multitasking! It *does* hang the machine when run - you have to explicitly interrupt it by telling the operating system to exit. ;-) More seriously, an infinite loop that reads and processed input each time through the loop isn't a "hang&q...

Using Tcl::Tk Module with Tcl/Tk 8.5
Not sure if this is the right place for this question, as it is with relation to the Tcl::Tk module, rather than Perl/Tk specifically. I'd like to use Tcl::Tk with Tcl/Tk 8.5 rather than 8.4. To that end, on a clean Debian Testing system I have installed only Tcl/Tk 8.5 and also finally managed to install the Tcl::Tk module. I was having problems installing the Tcl-0.95 module, which Tcl::Tk depends on, but fixed it with a specific include path call: >sudo perl Makefile.PL --tclsh /usr/bin/tclsh8.5 --tclconfig /usr/lib/tcl8.5/tclConfig.sh --include /usr/include/tcl8.5 Fo...

This is an announcement for a relatively new Tcl project: tcl-mmap Tcl-mmap is a Tcl interface to the POSIX mmap* system call. It provides a Tcl package that allows Tcl scripts to: 1) Memory map files for improved access efficiency; 2) Share memory between related processes; 3) Easily implement cyclic persistent log files. * See the mmap(2) man page. Platform: Linux/Unix Home page: http://sourceforge.net/projects/tcl-mmap/ Man page: http://tcl-mmap.sourceforge.net/ Author: Alexandros Stergiakis On Sep 3, 11:48=A0am, Alexandros Stergiakis <alst...@gmail.com> wrote: > This is an ...

This is an announcement for a relatively new Tcl project: tcl-mp Tcl-mp is a Tcl interface to POSIX Message Queues*. It provides a Tcl package that allows scripts to create/open/close/unlink multiple parallel message queues, and to send/receive messages synchronously and asynchronously to/from them. * A POSIX message queue is an Inter-Process Communication mechanism available on Linux and some other POSIX-compliant operating systems. It allows to or more processes (or threads) to communicate under the same OS. The messages are buffered by the kernel, which gives them kernel persis...

Integrating C++ and Tcl event loops.
I'm having synchronization issues between C++ and Tcl. The system I'm working on is laid out as a distributed system where all the parts communicate via normal sockets written in C++. In one portion of the system the sockets feed data into a Tcl interp where it gets routed around to the user space code that's interested in it. Right now that's just reading data directly from the socket and doing a Tcl_Eval on it. Most times this is just fine because the user script is just sitting waiting for something to happen. Problems creep in when I have user code that runs an after or...

Why can execution results in tcl shell differ than if using tcl script??
Hi, I have been posting a thread here: http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/browse_thread/thread/983d7ef3e4b1ab54# I have another question that might be related to it, I'm doing set of tcl commands (involving external shell commands execution) one time in tcl shell, and the other from a tcl script.. Although both command sequences are the same, I get quite different results!!! Why did this happens?? Thanks, Ahmad Ahmad wrote: > Hi, > > I have been posting a thread here: > http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/browse_thread/thread/983d7ef3e4b1ab54# > > I have another question that might be related to it, I'm doing set of > tcl commands (involving external shell commands execution) one time in > tcl shell, and the other from a tcl script.. > > Although both command sequences are the same, I get quite different > results!!! Why did this happens?? > > Thanks, > Ahmad The interactive Tcl shell has access to external functionality that a running script doesn't. That's done to make the interactive environment easier to work with. What, specifically, is the command sequence you're issuing in both cases? Jeff Hi Jeff, Thank you for your reply. I've a tcl script that finally creates a certain script, that is when I run from shell using "calibredrv -gui <certainRunScript>" from command line it do exactly what I expect. I have tried two scenarios of trials, and only one of...

Tcl's Future was: Re: Apache 2.0 TCL solution
davidnwelton@gmail.com wrote: [snip] > Part of the problem is that where Rails has had brilliant marketing, > Tcl's has been nothing short of disastrous, so with something like > Rails, that is good technology, hopping on the bandwagon is a pleasant > change from the "trench warfware" world of trying to defend Tcl. > > A recent example: > > http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/Message/tcl-core/3201127 > > Someone 'important' actually used Tcl for an important project, and I > don't even see anyone answering him in public. I doubt any...

Greenspun on tcl vs lisp, is it less work to just do tcl? will lisp have longterm advantage?
http://philip.greenspun.com/tcl/introduction.adp toward the bottom In the case of AOLserver, for example, Jim Davidson and Doug McKee had only a few months to build the whole server from scratch. They wanted users to be able to write small programs that ran inside the server process. They therefore needed a safe interpreted language so that a programming error by one user didn't crash the server and bring down all the Web services for an organization. Tcl was available. Tcl was easy to download and designed to fit inside larger application programs. But the Tcl interpreter as distributed ...

YouTube Playlist: Tcl/Tk Object Oriented Programming Using Itcl (incr Tcl) Lessons
Hi. Like I promised you hours ago.. The playlist in English : https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLsAEIIjTPIo_1qeuc-rYwk0nxWAM38Dl_ The same playlist in Arabic : https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLsAEIIjTPIo_91kA-iUz_5XGNmHzivHBG Enjoy! On Saturday, January 17, 2015 at 4:04:21 PM UTC+2, Rani Ahmad wrote: > Hi. > > Like I promised you hours ago.. > > The playlist in English : > > https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLsAEIIjTPIo_1qeuc-rYwk0nxWAM38Dl_ > > The same playlist in Arabic : > > https://www.youtube.com/playli...

POLL: Does anybody has a successfull integration into the TCL event-loop ?
Hi, I still have problems with TCL and event loop integration and using TCL Thread extension. Every-Time If I thing I solve a problem an other problem start ... For example calls to: Tcl_WaitForEvent(TCL_ALL_EVENTS|TCL_DONT_WAIT) or Tcl_ServiceAll() block forever or even timer events like: proc Sleep {} { set ::AID [after 300 Sleep] incr ::COUNT } are !not! updated by Tcl_ServiceAll() .... If I read the TCL documentation like man Tcl_DoOneEvent man n thread man Tcl_ServiceAll I'm flood by mystic definitions together with ~20 C-Functions with a lot of option variants for me I just want to have a function that I can call from a C-extension to process TCL events like the timer event from above or to update a GUI to have a non blocking behavior and !!!come!!! back if everthing has done Now my question: does anybody using TCL together with a C extension using an external event-loop and is able to use the TCL events in different interpreters created by thread::create to process timer events happen in different interpreters (this is just one example) from my point of view it is an design error in TCL using one TCL event-loop try to serve different interp running in different threads for me a question comes up if TCL is thread safe at all if the event loop does not work proper .. every answer is welcome ... On Feb 28, 4:51=A0...

Multithreaded C++ and Tk GUI: Tcl Event Loop
Hi all, I write a GUI to control a NTServcie. I want to communicte with that NTServcie via TCP/IP. For that purpose I wrote an extension to do all the TCP communication in a worker thread. I pass all messages to a thread-safe send queue. The worker thread pulls out a message from the "send queue" and does the TCP communication. The results of this communication is passed in a thread-safe "receive queue" and Tcl_AsyncMarc()is called. In the AsyncHandlerProc() then generate an Event and queue it to the Tcl-Event-Loop. This works fine so far, but after I have processe...

Web resources about - unanswered: will tcl use kqueue epoll as event loop in future? - comp.lang.tcl