Using a tk text widget for stdout

I am using a text widget as a substitute for the stdout of binary
executables in Linux.
e.g: if t is the tk text widget:

$t insert end [exec ./dnaml < dnaml.setup]

However, the whole output of dnaml to stdout is only appended within
the widget after dnaml has completed execution.  While dnaml is
executing, no output appears in the widget. I need to see the output as
it is produced, more or less as it would appear in a terminal window.
Id there any way around this problem? Is the text widget perhaps
inappropriate? I would greatly appreciate any advice.

WillemF wrote:
> I am using a text widget as a substitute for the stdout of binary
> executables in Linux.
> e.g: if t is the tk text widget:
>
> $t insert end [exec ./dnaml < dnaml.setup]
>
> However, the whole output of dnaml to stdout is only appended within
> the widget after dnaml has completed execution.  While dnaml is
> executing, no output appears in the widget. I need to see the output as
> it is produced, more or less as it would appear in a terminal window.
> Id there any way around this problem? Is the text widget perhaps
> inappropriate? I would greatly appreciate any advice.

In Linux no problem. Just do:

  proc getResult {channel} {
    .t insert end [read $channel]
  }
  set f [open | ./dnaml < dnaml.setup]
  fconfigure $f -blocking 0
  fileevent $f readable "getResult $f"

This code doesn't work in Windows though, you'll get the output only
after a program terminates just like what you're getting now.

0
slebetman (894)
3/10/2006 7:28:31 AM
No, that is not quite true. It depends on the amount of output and
whether the program can  be made to flush the output or not. It is
exactly the same as with Linux, but if buffer sizes differ (as they
undoubtedly will) then you might see different behaviour. Regards, Arjen

0
arjen.markus (2628)
3/10/2006 8:09:23 AM
Oh, and you will find a lot on the Wiki about the subject :)  Regards,
Arjen

0
arjen.markus (2628)
3/10/2006 8:12:14 AM
Dear Slebetman,

Thank you very much for this.  Your code was very useful. I needed to
do one additional thing and that was  for the calling program to wait
until the end of the pipe before continuing to execute the main
program. I did this by checking for eof in your event handler above and
by changing the value of a predefined variable that was monitored by
vwait. Thank you again.

WillemF

WillemF wrote:
> Dear Slebetman,
>
> Thank you very much for this.  Your code was very useful. I needed to
> do one additional thing and that was  for the calling program to wait
> until the end of the pipe before continuing to execute the main
> program. I did this by checking for eof in your event handler above and
> by changing the value of a predefined variable that was monitored by
> vwait. Thank you again.

When checking for eof make sure you check it AFTER the read, never
before. The eof command detects the presence of an eof condition in the
most recent read of gets command. It cannot detect an eof condition
that is 'currently' in the stream. That's why you need to do a
read/gets before the eof command.

0
slebetman (894)

in Tcl/tk, How can I redirect stdout to a text widget?
I already wrote a tcl script. there are many output information sent to stdout in the script. Now I'm using TK to optimize this script, I hope to redirect all output information to a text widget, How can i do it? I tried to rediect output information to a file, it's OK. then I want to use "fileevent" command to trace the file's action and then send new information to a text widget. but system say that "filehandle cannot be read" error. I think that the reason should be the file is open for "w" and cannot be read. How can i do it? close stdout set file_a [open "testfile" "w"] fileevent $file_a readable Log # this Log procedure write information to a text widget. Any responses will be very appreciated. thanks. Hans Yin wrote: > > I already wrote a tcl script. there are many output information sent > to stdout in the script. Now I'm using TK to optimize this script, I > hope to redirect all output information to a text widget, How can i do > it? > > I tried to rediect output information to a file, it's OK. then I want > to use "fileevent" command to trace the file's action and then send > new information to a text widget. but system say that "filehandle > cannot be read" error. I think that the reason should be the file is > open for "w" and cannot be read. How can i do it? > > close stdout > set file_a [open ...

Watching windows stdout in a tk text widget ?!
I'm sure this is a problem people have seen before but I've recently moved to an all windows environment from solaris and I need to monitor stdout in a gui text widget created with tk. I havent found anything in the faq... this is driving me crazy! I've tried to use the welch book read event file handler (p229)on stdout and even my expect log_file -a file. I haven't had any luck... please help me! ...

uninitialized value using a Tk Text widget
x-posted from perlmonks I have several widgets displayed including a scrollable listbox and some scrollable text boxes. If a user clicks in one of my textboxes and begins to use the down arrow key when the textbox is empty, perl throws "Use of uninitialized value in numeric ne (!=) at ...Text.pm line 1223" I tried to duplicate this with a small example, but [code] use Tk; my $mw = MainWindow->new(); $mw->Scrolled('Text')->pack(); $mw->Text()->pack; MainLoop; [/code] does not display the problem for either the Scrolled Text or the simple Tex...

Tcl/Tk text widget article in Linux Journal
Linux Journal have just published an article I wrote on the Tk text widget. None of the seasoned veterans on c.l.t will learn anything from it, but newbies might find it useful. The information should apply to Windows users too. The link is: http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=7357&mode=thread&order=0 This is the first Tcl article (or indeed, any article) I've had published, so I'd welcome any constructive feedback - both on my writing and my Tcl coding. More importantly, this is the first Tcl based article that Linux Journal have published. When I made the original...

tcl/tk 8.4 text widget question
Hi! Can you help. I have a gui script that displays the output of commands as they are ran in a text widget with scroll bar. However, once the output goes past the height of the text widget, the text does not automatically scroll down. When the processing is complete, I have to scroll to the bottom to see the last few lines including the line where it says "Processing complete" Does anyone know how to fix this? Meg Cooper mulkey_mouse@cox.net wrote: > Hi! > Can you help. > I have a gui script that displays the output of commands as they are > ran in a text widget with scroll bar. However, once the output goes > past the height of the text widget, the text does not automatically > scroll down. When the processing is complete, I have to scroll to the > bottom to see the last few lines including the line where it says > "Processing complete" > > Does anyone know how to fix this? > Meg Cooper Try... $txt see end .... after you add each new line of text. Jeff Hey!! Thanks!! It worked like a charm. ---------- Forwarded message ---------- From: Jeff Godfrey <jeff_godf...@pobox.com> Date: Feb 25, 12:32=A0pm Subject: tcl/tk 8.4 text widget question To: comp.lang.tcl mulkey_mo...@cox.net wrote: > Hi! > Can you help. > I have a gui script that displays the output of commands as they are > ran in a text widget with scroll bar. However, once the output goes > past the height of the text widget, the tex...

Starting TCL interrupter using TK widgets in a QT application
Hi I have included in my QT application for windows the TCL library, Can I start a script that used TK widgets? What happens if my QT application uses the same events as the TK windows Messages/Events? gerald.maher@waytohere.com wrote: > I have included in my QT application for windows the TCL library, > Can I start a script that used TK widgets? > > What happens if my QT application uses the same events as the TK > windows Messages/Events? It is certainly possible to mix the event loops. There is a qttcl (or was it tclqt) extension that bound to Qt and may have allowed for Tk widgets as well (so it should have the code). I know that gnocl (the Tcl-Gtk binding) does do this, allowing Tk and Gtk widgets together. -- Jeff Hobbs, The Tcl Guy http://www.ActiveState.com/, a division of Sophos I think that tclqt is a project that offers an alternative to Tk, using Qt and simulating Tk (i.e. providing a similar interface) as close as possible. I am not sure if Tk widgets can co-exist with the Qt ones. Hoever, I am sure that I have seen such an integration reported on this newsgroup, done by a company I think. I suppose you will find the relevant posting if you search the archives. George "Jeff Hobbs" <jeffh@removethis.activestate.com> wrote in message news:41B88AF2.5060500@removethis.activestate.com... > gerald.maher@waytohere.com wrote: >> I have included in my QT application for windows the TCL library, >> Can ...

Text widget Tab behaviour in Tcl/Tk 8.5
Last October I noticed that there was a difference in the way text widget tabs are handled in Tcl 8.5 when compared with 8.4. Apparently this is a new feature - but I was told that an option will be added to allow the "old" style of tab behaviour (so that existing code will work properly). I was just wondering if there have been any developments in this area? Best Regards, =Adrian= Adrian Davis wrote: > Last October I noticed that there was a difference in the way text > widget tabs are handled in Tcl 8.5 when compared with 8.4. > > Apparently this is a new feature - but I was told that an option will > be added to allow the "old" style of tab behaviour (so that existing > code will work properly). > > I was just wondering if there have been any developments in this area? > > Best Regards, > =Adrian= I think the -tabstyle option accomplishes what you want. > I think the -tabstyle option accomplishes what you want. That's done the trick. Many Thanks, =Adrian= ...

text in a widget, text-widget
hello i have an application with a couple of text widgets but i would like to add some functionalities that at first and second sight are not directly supported by the plain text widget itself - ? for example i would like certain lines of text within the textwidget to take different background colors according to certain parameters also i would like to be able to detect certain sentences or words that would become 'links' and by clicking them i would open up different windows any suggestions to solutions and widgets for the above problems ? - i probably could...

Using Control-a to select all text in a text widget
I'm having a difficult time binding Control-a so it selects all the text in a widget just like the default Control-/ binding does. I've tried: ..t bind <Control-a> [.t bind <Control-/>] But [.t bind <Control-/>] returns nothing. If I do: ..t bind <Control-/> {puts "Selecting all"} ..t bind <Control-a> [.t bind <Control-/>] When I hit Control-/ I get at the prompt "Selecting all" and all the text is selected. But when I hit Control-a all I get is the "Selecting all" at the prompt and no text is selected. I've also tried: ..t bind <Control-a> {.t tag add sel 1.0 end} And that doesn't work either. In fact, with this code if you do Control-/ and then Control-a it unselects everything. And dumping the tags for the entire region show the tagon/tagoff for sel are gone. Does anyone know the semantics of Control-/? There's got to be more to it. - Ian I've just found this thread: http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/browse_thread/thread/5c1df73696e94962/38ec894e32bafcd2?lnk=gst&q=select+all&rnum=8#38ec894e32bafcd2 Which seems to suggest there's nothing fancy about Control-/. - Ian And to answer my own question, the following works: bind .t <Control-a> {%W tag add sel 1.0 end; break;} - Ian On Wed, 01 Aug 2007 16:54:06 -0000, sniff.scratch@gmail.com wrote: >I'm having a difficult time binding Control-a so it selects all the >text in a w...

1. Thank you everyone for your help. 2. Tcl/Tk Designer 3. Text Editor Widget
Hello CLT Thank you everyone that responds to my posts asking for info. I really appreciate it. At this stage of my tcl career I can ask many more questions than I can answer. Speaking of questions, here are a few more: 1. Is there a tcl/tk based user interface designer available? There has been no recent activity on VTCL, and SpecTcl looks even older. I am not averse to using VTCL. I would just prefer to use something that is being actively maintained. 2. Is there a text editor widget that I can drop into an application? I realize I could put something together with the text widget and perhaps ntext. The problem is that this editing feature is not the focus of my application. It adds value for sure. However I cannot spend much of my time there. Try ctext at http://wiki.tcl.tk/4134 /Ashok On Sep 16, 7:07 am, Kuberan Naganathan <kube...@att.net> wrote: > Hello CLT > > Thank you everyone that responds to my posts asking for info. I really > appreciate it. At this stage of my tcl career I can ask many more > questions than I can answer. > > Speaking of questions, here are a few more: > > 1. Is there a tcl/tk based user interface designer available? > There has been no recent activity on VTCL, and SpecTcl looks even > older. I am not averse to using VTCL. I would just prefer to use > something that is being actively maintained. > > 2. Is there a text editor...

how to access prolog from tcl?(not using tcl/tk interface from prolog)
hi, I am now doing my thesis project relate to mobile agent technology which need to access prolog from tcl. There are a lot of prologs which have the function to access tcl from prolog, but I need to access prolog from tcl.(I can not use the method that first load prolog, then access tcl via the interface, and reload prolog). So is there any one can help me or give me some tips to solve this problem? Now I can only found one article to solve this problem(http://tkoutline.sourceforge.net/wiki/38). I tried the code, but unfortunately, the terminal always crashed and did not give any response when I run the second command of its example---"% prolog::init". I could run the command of "plcon -s interp.pl -t main -q" in DOS terminal without problem. Originally I thought it is the version problem of tcl, so I changed it from 8.4.9 to 8.0.3, but the problem was still there. My SWI-prolog version is 3.1.2. My operating system is winXP. I am now very nervous about that, Please give me some help to solve this problem, or tell me some other way to access prolog from tcl. Thank you very much I did not give up the solution of (http://tkoutline.sourceforge.net/wiki/38). Now I changed SWI-prolog version to 5.4.4. When I run the second command(prolog::init) of the example from wish.exe, it pop up a window, said that Prolog interpreter closed unexpectedly Prolog interpreter closed unexpectedly while executing "error "Prolog interpreter closed unexpect...

Tkinter question: howto redirect text output (stdout) to Text widget?
hi all, could anyone post an example how to redirect text output (stdout) to Text widget? Thank you in advance, Dmitrey. ...

What are you using tcl/tk for?
It's been more than a year since I last used tcl/tk and I just like to find out if people are still using it for serious small/medium/ large projects. I am now trying to create a tcom based application using Logix mCore to manage SMS and STK on GSM modems. You poor innocent soul Have you noticed that T refers to *T*ool Command Language arlie wrote: > It's been more than a year since I last used tcl/tk and I just like > to find out if people are still using it for serious small/medium/ > large projects. > > I am now trying to create a tcom based application using Logix mCore > to manage SMS and STK on GSM modems. In article <aaf1727c-00b1-407d-b0b0-a86ff53865cc@p23g2000prp.googlegroups.com>, arlie <arlie.c@gmail.com> wrote: >It's been more than a year since I last used tcl/tk and I just like >to find out if people are still using it for serious small/medium/ >large projects. > >I am now trying to create a tcom based application using Logix mCore >to manage SMS and STK on GSM modems. Yes, people use Tcl to achieve current results. tcom, in particular, is part of the installation of hardware testers, certain military vehicles, retail-grade applications, .... On Feb 7, 1:24=A0am, arlie <arli...@gmail.com> wrote: > It's been more than a year since I last used tcl/tk and I just like > to =A0find out if people are still using it for serious small/medium/ > large projects. > > I a...

Tcl/Tk use
Hi, I have a quick question concerning the way of using wish and tclsh on different platform. I use both a windows (ActiveState) and Linux installation of Tcl/Tk. On my windows platform, I experienced a really cool and useful thing that I want to to reproduce on Linux servers. In a wish console, once you have "sourced" your tcl files, you can use auto completion to proc, variables etc... My question is then is there any way to do this on a Linux installation of Tcl/Tk? and how to do this? Many thanks in advance, Jeannot Jeannot wrote: > Hi, > I have a quick question concerning the way of using wish and tclsh on > different platform. I use both a windows (ActiveState) and Linux > installation of Tcl/Tk. On my windows platform, I experienced a really > cool and useful thing that I want to to reproduce on Linux servers. In > a wish console, once you have "sourced" your tcl files, you can use > auto completion to proc, variables etc... > My question is then is there any way to do this on a Linux installation > of Tcl/Tk? and how to do this? run "tkcon.tcl". Its part of Activestate, or download it from the internet. Christian On 24 Jan., 11:32, "Jeannot" <jean.mul...@igbmc.u-strasbg.fr> wrote: > Hi, > I have a quick question concerning the way of using wish and tclsh on > different platform. I use both a windows (ActiveState) and Linux > installation of Tcl/Tk. On my windows platform, I...

tk text widget
Hi, See tk 4.2 file tkText.c: Tcl_AppendResult(interp, "bad switch \"", arg, "\": must be -forward, -backward, -exact, -regexp, ", "-nocase, -count, or --", (char *) NULL); return TCL_ERROR; ..... } else if ((c == 'f') && (strncmp(argv[i], "-forwards", length) == 0)) { backwards = 0; ..... hm , must be "-forward" , but writed "-forwards" also: tk 7.x tk 8.4.x tk 8.5.x ...... and see tk 8.6 file tkText.c: static const char *const switchStrings[] = { "--", "-all", "-backwards", "-count", "-elide", "-exact", "- forwards", "-hidden", "-nocase", "-nolinestop", "-overlap", "-regexp", "-strictlimits", NULL }; ..... Tcl_AppendResult(interp, "bad switch \"", Tcl_GetString(objv[i]), "\": must be --, -all, -backward, -count, -elide, ", "-exact, -forward, -nocase, -nolinestop, -overlap, ", "-regexp, or -strictlimits", NULL); return TCL_ERROR; } ..... must be "-forward" , but writed "-forwards" must be "-backward" , but writed "-backwards" ---------------------------------------- ok next: Practical Programming in Tcl & Tk, Third Edition By Brent B. Welch Table 33-4 & Practical Programming in Tcl & Tk...

Using text Widget
Hy, what kind of options do I have to set, that my text is displayed centered in the Text widget? text .text -relief raised -bd 2 -yscrollcommand ".scroll set" \ -background $color -font {Arial 14} .text tag configure "body" -lmargin1 0 -font {Arial 14} -wrap word .text tag configure "host" -lmargin1 80 -font {Arial 8} -underline 1 .text insert end "$welcomeText\n" body .text insert end "\n\nTBS Server: [info hostname]\n" host TX TAB Tillmann Basien wrote: > Hy, > what kind o...

Perl/Tk Data Entry using embedding widgets and Tk Events problems.
Hello, Referring to S.Lidie book on Mastering Perl/Tk I tried to get the example starting on page 185 working. The code works well to display the entry window. I found much more difficult to write to code to retrieve the users data after entry. The recommendation of using the callback routine with a second button still did not allow access to the data entered by the user. The error reported is: Tk error:: Can't call method "get" on an udefined value at.... I use Perl 5-8-3 for MS win32 windows. Has anybody got any success with this example ?? Thanks, Stevo On 7 ...

Re: text in a widget, text-widget @ 1145998849
Intrah onat Diria .. Tue, 25 Apr 2006 13:55:44 -0700 , ****** wrote "Revera y": > of "unsubscribe ptk" to majordomo@lists.stanford.edu > If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing list, send the message body > This message was posted through the Stanford campus mailing list server. > ++**=3D=3D > -++**=3D=3D--++**=3D=3D--++**=3D=3D--++**=3D=3D--++**=3D=3D--++**=3D=3D--= > > > > > ,=20 > , _________________ > , |---| > , | > , lead > , ::::::opthe > , oo,loent,uaha > , }, > ,...

RE: text in a widget, text-widget #2
Johan, Here this will give you an idea how to create a link in a text widget as well as some other tags. HTH Mike use strict; use Tk; use Tk::Dialog; my $mainWindow = MainWindow->new(-title => "Test Tags"); my $sc_width = 100; my $sc_height = 15; my $scrolled = $mainWindow->Scrolled( "Text", -scrollbars => 'se', -background => 'white', -wrap => &...

Re: text in a widget, text-widget @ 1146167556
Intrah onat Diria .. Tue, 25 Apr 2006 13:55:44 -0700 ,Van Nieuwenhuize, Mike wrote "Noalim y": > > Johan, > > Here this will give you an idea how to create a link in a text widget as > well as some other tags. > > HTH > > Mike > > use strict; > use Tk; > use Tk::Dialog; > > my $mainWindow = MainWindow->new(-title => "Test Tags"); > > my $sc_width = 100; > my $sc_height = 15; > > my $scrolled = $mainWindow->Scrolled( > ...

Problem with tk text widget in displaying Chinese characters, entry widget works fine.
Hi, There seems to be a problem with tk text widget. I am able to edit and see the chinese characters in both entry widget and text widget. When I move from one character to another using arrow key or mouse, it works fine in entry; But in text, it simply mess up. The problem could be that chinese characters are 2 bytes long and cursor moves 1 byte. The text interpreter might be combining the other byte of Chinese character with the 2 bytes of next chinese character. Do I have to change some setting for text widget and/ or install some patch? Thanks, Vikas Vikas Gupta schrieb: > Hi, > > There seems to be a problem with tk text widget. I am able to edit > and see the chinese characters in both entry widget and text widget. > When I move from one character to another using arrow key or mouse, it > works fine in entry; But in text, it simply mess up. > The problem could be that chinese characters are 2 bytes long and > cursor moves 1 byte. The text interpreter might be combining the other > byte of Chinese character with the 2 bytes of next chinese character. > Do I have to change some setting for text widget and/ or install some > patch? Please report your Platform / Window Manager and the Tcl/Tk version you use. Do you have a simple example script to demonstrate the problem? There should be no problem with character/byte borders visible, if it is, its a bug. Michael ...

YouTube Playlist: Tcl/Tk Object Oriented Programming Using Itcl (incr Tcl) Lessons
Hi. Like I promised you hours ago.. The playlist in English : https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLsAEIIjTPIo_1qeuc-rYwk0nxWAM38Dl_ The same playlist in Arabic : https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLsAEIIjTPIo_91kA-iUz_5XGNmHzivHBG Enjoy! On Saturday, January 17, 2015 at 4:04:21 PM UTC+2, Rani Ahmad wrote: > Hi. > > Like I promised you hours ago.. > > The playlist in English : > > https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLsAEIIjTPIo_1qeuc-rYwk0nxWAM38Dl_ > > The same playlist in Arabic : > > https://www.youtube.com/playli...

Using TK to read/write to serial port, allowing stdout display and TK GUI control
Hello, I'm using a TK GUI to write data to and read data from a serial port. One of the button widgets needs to send a specific command to the serial port, which programs a microprocessor to essentially run in a loop until interrupted. To interrupt the microprocessor, I am using the same TK GUI (another button widget) to send the appropriate interrupt character to the serial port. To try to implement this, I send the initial microprocessor programming command to the serial port, and it's received correctly. The microprocessor then sends the text strings back to the TK GUI. What I want to do is read the data from the serial port, and display it to stdout, but still allow the TK GUI to send a character down the serial port when the button widget is pressed, causing the microprocessor loop to be terminated. When terminated, the microprocessor sends a '>' character, which would be easy to parse from a read command. I'm new to TK, so I'm not sure how to achieve the above. I tried using the code snipped below. The first chunk sends the 'M' character to the serial port, which programs it. I then read from the serial port byte by byte, until I receive the acknowledgment command "Waiting for trigger". This works. It's the second chunk that fails miserably! The TK GUI hangs in a loop, because I can never invoke the TK button widget to send the break command. If this is a bit complicated to do, rather than write to stdout, I could use...

Web resources about - Using a tk text widget for stdout - comp.lang.tcl

DashboardWidgets - Community for Designers, Developers, and Users of Dashboard Widgets
DashboardWidgets is an internet community for coders, designers, and users of Apple's new Dashboard feature in Mac OS X 10.4, Tiger.

Twidget - Twitter.com Dashboard Widget
Developing Twidget takes time and effort. If you enjoy Twidget, feel it is of value to you and would like to help out, please consider making ...

iBook Widgets - Widgets for iBooks Author
Awesome widgets for iBooks Author

RSS Feed Widget
As its name suggests, is a handy widget to help you embed and display your favorite RSS, just specify the URL of RSS feed, click the "Create ...

Make custom mobile apps, web widgets, and rich media ads — Widgetbox
Mobile web apps, web widgets and rich media powered by the Flite Engagement Platform.

Widgetmate.com : Cool widgets to spice up your webpage
News Widget The News Widget delivers fresh, breaking news from around the world for the topics of your choice to your blog, webpage, website, ...

Widget Press - Creators of iPad, iPhone, iPod touch & Web App Developer Toolkits.
Widget Press, creators of ModelBaker, FormEntry and FormEntry Server, the no programming development tools that builds Web, iPad, iPhone, iPod ...

SIMILE Widgets
This is an open-source “spin-off” from the SIMILE project at MIT . Here we offer free, open-source web widgets, mostly for data visualizations. ...

GUI widget - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about reusable components for building user interfaces. For small desktop/web applications, see widget engine . For other uses, ...

Preview CrunchBase Widget
The CrunchBase widget allows you to embed information about companies, people, financial organizations, and products anywhere on the web. If ...