What are your favorite tcl libraries or applications not currently included in ActiveTcl 8.6.0 ?

As always, activetcl has a lot of the favorite libraries, and a few of the applications.

When setting up a new computer with ActiveTcl, are the first libraries or applications you download? And how do you install them so that the user of the machine can find activetcl and the additional items?
0
lvirden (1938)

> When setting up a new computer with ActiveTcl, are the first libraries or applications you download? And how do you install them so that the user of the machine can find activetcl and the additional items?

ActiveTcl, then Tcllib, TkLib, then applications with their own libraries, so that maintenance is easier. PS: Only pure Tcl/Tk, robust, solid,... And Freewrap for nomadic use.

Regards, Olivier.

Στις 28/4/2013 14:22, ο/η Larry W. Virden έγραψε:
> As always, activetcl has a lot of the favorite libraries, and a few of the applications.
>
> When setting up a new computer with ActiveTcl, are the first libraries or applications you download? And how do you install them so that the user of the machine can find activetcl and the additional items?

I usually download everything from the ActiveTcl repositories.
I just issue "teacup update" :D

George
0
petasis (1405)
4/28/2013 2:10:29 PM
On Sunday, April 28, 2013 10:10:29 AM UTC-4, Georgios Petasis wrote:

> I usually download everything from the ActiveTcl repositories.
>
> I just issue "teacup update" :D

I first did a teacup update-self, then did the teacup update, just like Andreas K taught me ;).
I just recall there being a lot of useful code on the wiki, around sourceforge and elsewhere that was great stuff, but that had never made its way into the batteries included downloads.

I thought maybe there were some new "must have" items not in the teacup repository yet.

Thank you all for your response.

0
lvirden (1938)
4/30/2013 2:55:09 PM
On 30 Apr., 16:55, "Larry W. Virden" <lvir...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sunday, April 28, 2013 10:10:29 AM UTC-4, Georgios Petasis wrote:
>
> > I usually download everything from the ActiveTcl repositories.
>
> > I just issue "teacup update" :D
>
> I first did a teacup update-self, then did the teacup update, just like Andreas K taught me ;).
> I just recall there being a lot of useful code on the wiki, around sourceforge and elsewhere that was great stuff, but that had never made its way into the batteries included downloads.
>
> I thought maybe there were some new "must have" items not in the teacup repository yet.
>
> Thank you all for your response.

Larry,

thank you for the poll. I personally rarely use the teapot. I try to
keep my starpacks small and the original upx-packed windows starpacks
have below 2mb of size, while the ActiveTCL basekits (We own
ActiveState DevKit TCL) are 4MB in size. Thus, I also only use modules
I require from tcllib etc.

I use the teapot only for binary extensions I fail to compile...

The teapot is relatively complete.

I use the following packages which are in my knowledge not on the
teapot:
- yajil-tcl

Thank you,
Harald
0
wortkarg2 (425)

ANNOUNCE: freeWrap 8.6 released (supports TCL/TK 8.6.0)
This message announces the availability of freeWrap version 6.6. FreeWrap 6.6 is based on TCL/TK 8.6.0 freeWrap is a program that allows creation of stand-alone TCL/TK executables without needing a compiler. Versions are free and available for the Windows and Linux operating systems. Instructions and source code for building freeWrap are also available. The following additional variation of freeWrap is also available for download: freewrapTCLSH a console-only application which includes only TCL. Please visit the freeWrap home page: http://freewrap....

VC++ 6.0 GUI application with TCL 8.4
HI Friends Iam making a VC++ dialog based application with a Edit box and Run Button. In the dialog class called TestDlg.cpp, there is a function called OnMessage(), it is implemented as, void OnMessage() { MessageBox("Hello World"); } Now iam gonna type in the Edit box, set a [OnMessage]; and click Run Button in GUI Now the TCL interpreter should be able to find the command "OnMessage" and call back the void OnMessage function in TestDlg.cpp in GUI. Is it possible to do something like this? Can anyone please tell me how to do this? Thanks in Advance Don donos ...

tcl application with tcl application

VC++ 6.0 GUP application with TCL 8.4
HI Friends Iam making a VC++ dialog based application with a Edit box and Run Button. In the dialog class called TestDlg.cpp, there is a function called OnMessage(), it is implemented as, void OnMessage() { MessageBox("Hello World"); } Now iam gonna type in the Edit box, set a [OnMessage] and click Run Button in GUI Now the TCL interpreter should be able to find the command OnMessage and call back the void OnMessage function in TestDlg.cpp in GUI. Is it possible to do something like this? Can anyone please tell me how to do this? Thanks in Advance Don Iam Mean, VC++ GUI App...

Tcl 8.6, ActiveTcl 8.6 & linux Fedora 16 (64 bit)...
Hi all, Just a quick note about installing ActiveTcl 8.6 under Fedora 16, 64 bit. Downloading ActiveTcl 8.6 and trying to run the installer, fails. The reason is that libXss.so, is missing from the system, and Tk seems to need this. The problem can be "resolved" by installing the package "libXScrnSaver". But there is no such package for Fedora 16, and (thankfully) the package gets installed from Fedora 15. Maybe this is a "sign" that libXss.so will disappear in the (near?) future... George PS: Also the mysql TDBC driver crashes, as the shared library has ...

What is the current status of Tcl 8.6 development and Itcl 4.0 beta?
Does the current cvs head of Tcl 8.6, graciously made available from an activestate ftp site, contain the incr tcl 4.0 code? I thought I had read that the code was now available but I don't see it in the snapshots. Just curious where that stands. On Feb 6, 9:03=A0am, "Larry W. Virden" <lvir...@gmail.com> wrote: > Does the current cvs head of Tcl 8.6, graciously made available from > an activestate ftp site, contain the incr tcl 4.0 code? I thought I > had read that the code was now available but I don't see it in the > snapshots. Not currently, but this w...

Bug789040 came back in Tcl 8.4.6 and Tcl 8.5.
Dear All, Bug 789040 caused exec error in Windows 9x and was fixed in 10/04/03. But it came back in Tcl 8.4.6 and Tcl 8.5. Tcl Windows 9x users should be alerted to the possible failure of exec in the current Tcl 8.4.6 and 8.5 releases due to this bug. Chengye Mao http://www.geocities.com/~chengye Chengye Mao wrote: > Bug 789040 caused exec error in Windows 9x and was fixed in 10/04/03. > But it came back in Tcl 8.4.6 and Tcl 8.5. Tcl Windows 9x users > should be alerted to the possible failure of exec in the current Tcl > 8.4.6 and 8.5 releases due to this bug. Have you i...

Tcl 8.6.0
I recall a recent posting about the time of the conference asking about release plans for 8.6. I further recall a response along the lines of "I don't really know, everyone who does is away in Portland". I guess TPTB are back now. What are the plans for release of Tcl 8.6, and in particular ActiveTcl 8.6? I have developed some code on the betas using TDBC and would like to roll it out in the next month. If the releases aren't imminent, I need to make alternative plans. Thanks, Alan On 15 Oct, 01:57, Alan Grunwald <alan-clt-pos...@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote: >...

Tcl/Tk 8.6.3, Itcl 4.0.2, sqlite 3.8.7 Release Candidates
Release candidate downloads of the 8.6.3 releases of Tcl and Tk, Itcl 4.0.2, and sqlite 3.8.7 may now be found at https://sourceforge.net/projects/tcl/files/Tcl/8.6.3/ The actual releases of these files should come on October 29. Until then, enjoy this advance preview, and if you find anything catastrophically wrong with them, please inform me so we can fix the problem before the true release. -- | Don Porter Applied and Computational Mathematics Division | | donald.porter@nist.gov Information Technology Laboratory | | http://math.nist.gov/~DPorter/...

Oratcl 4.4 : Tcl 8.5 tested against Oracle 11g (11.1.0.6.0) Linux x86
Hot off the press. Oratcl 4.4 (and the CVS head). Have just been run/tested against Oracle 11g and all the tests in the test suite have passed. No special configurations required other than the traditional ORACLE_HOME env. variable being set. -Todd On Aug 15, 3:45 pm, "thelf...@gmail.com" <thelf...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hot off the press. > > Oratcl 4.4 (and the CVS head). Have just been run/tested against > Oracle 11g and all the tests in the test suite have passed. > > No special configurations required other than the traditional > ORACLE_HOME env...

[tao-bugs] Minor Tcl/Tk issue with TAO 6.0.8 build on 64-bit Red Hat RHEL 6.2
TAO VERSION: 2.0.8 ACE VERSION: 6.0.8 HOST MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 Update 2; x86_64 architecture TARGET MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM, if different from HOST: COMPILER NAME AND VERSION (AND PATCHLEVEL): gcc version 4.4.6 20110731 (Red Hat 4.4.6-3) (GCC)=20 THE $ACE_ROOT/ace/config.h FILE [if you use a link to a platform- specific file, simply state which one]: cmbld}% diff -rC 0 ace/config-linux.h ace/config.h *** ace/config-linux.h 2011-12-30 02:16:47.000000000 -0800 --- ace/config.h 2012-03-01 14:37:03.991968000 -0800 *************** *** 15 **** --- 16,17 ---- + #define TAO_IDL_INCLUDE_DIR = "/usr/local/ACE_wrappers/v6.0.8/x86-64-linux/include" +=20 *************** *** 430 **** --- 433,439 ---- + #define ACE_HAS_IPV6 // Ken Sedgwick 2006-06-14 + #define ACE_USES_IPV4_IPV6_MIGRATION // Ken Sedgwick 2006-06-14 + #define ACE_HAS_REACTOR_NOTIFICATION_QUEUE // Ken Sedgwick 2006-04-19 + #define ACE_GCC_HAS_TEMPLATE_INSTANTIATION_VISIBILITY_ATTRS 1 // Ken = Sedgwick 2007-05-05 + #if !defined(ACE_HAS_EVENT_POLL) + #define ACE_HAS_EVENT_POLL 1 // Ken Sedgwick 2009-09-18 + #endif THE $ACE_ROOT/include/makeinclude/platform_macros.GNU FILE [if you use a link to a platform-specific file, simply state which one (unless this isn't used in this case, e.g., with Microsoft Visual C++)]: {cmbld}% cat include/makeinclude/platform_macros.GNU ssl ...

Tcl/Tk 8.6.0 RELEASED
Tcl/Tk 8.6.0 Release Announcement December 20, 2012 The Tcl Core Team is pleased to announce the 8.6.0 releases of the Tcl dynamic language and the Tk toolkit. This is the first stable release of Tcl/Tk 8.6. More details can be found below. We would like to express our gratitude to all those who submit bug reports and patches. This information is invaluable in enabling us to identify and eliminate problems in the core. Where to get the new releases: ------------------------------ Tcl/Tk 8.6.0 sources are freely available as open source from the Tcl Developer Xchange web site at: http://www.tcl.tk/software/tcltk/8.6.html This web page also contains additional information about the releases, including a summary of new features. Sources are always available from the Tcl SourceForge project's file distribution area: http://sourceforge.net/projects/tcl/files/Tcl/ For additional information: --------------------------- Please visit the Tcl Developer Xchange web site: http://www.tcl.tk/ This site contains a variety of information about Tcl/Tk in general, the core Tcl and Tk distributions, Tcl development tools, and much more. Summary of Changes since Tcl/Tk 8.6b3: -------------------------------------- A complete list can be found in the changes file at the root of the source tree. The more complete ChangeLog is also included with each source release. The short list of key changes since the Tcl/Tk 8....

embedding Tcl 8.6 in a multithreaded application
Hi everyone I've been googling unsuccessfully for particular recommendations and directions to embed Tcl 8.6 in a multithreaded environment (Apache web server in my case) but found none. Still I'm observing a nasty problem with that version of Tcl when embedded in mod_rivet and run with a threaded Apache instance. Tcl 8.5 works well and also 8.6 works provided the central call to Tcl_EvalObjEx is protected by a mutex, which in practice cancels most of the advantage of having multiple threads within a server instance. The server fails with segfaults under Linux wi...

ANNOUNCE: Tmac 1.0
I happily offer this refined macro tool giving Tcl programmers more options to handle complex, tedious, and error prone application coding/config problems. - Roy ANNOUNCE: Tmac 1.0 - a macro preprocessor in Tcl for Tcl (8 December 2003) I've added various enhancements and fixes and bumped the release to 1.0 as I expect it to be stable at this point. Changes since the original release (0.1 in May 2003) - Fixed: several defects in parameter parsing when various quotes styles were nested. - Added: -proc option defines a filter macro and its proc in one step - Added: -oneline option takes out newlines in block macros allowing cleaner coding when wanting a command spread over several lines (can leave out the backslashes) - Added: "passtrick" -parse option to let single char delimiters escape themselves - Improved: expr parameter wrapping - Improved: GUI viewer/devel tool now has a compact vertical mode and can load macro definition files for browsing. Much more convenient for devel/test of single macros. - Added: Several files of example macros for strings, control structures, and wiki markup. Includes do/while, enhanced switch, etc. - Updated: Tests and docs to cover new features. The new Release is posted here www.tclbuzz.com/v0/tmac Feedback invited, Roy Terry -------------------------------------------------------- From the original announcement: I've created this Tcl packag...

Tcl 8.4.x & tcl-dp 4.0.x
Has anyone built tcl-dp 4.0.x on windows against Tcl 8.4.x ? Is it possible to get the windows dll and the source code with modifications? ...

Tcl/Tk 8.6.0 Release Candidates
Release Candidate downloads of the 8.6.0 releases of Tcl and Tk may now be found at: ftp://ftp.tcl.tk/pub/tcl/tcl8_6/ Veteran downloaders of Tcl/Tk source code distributions will recognize the traditional set of 5 download files: ftp://ftp.tcl.tk/pub/tcl/tcl8_6/tcl8.6.0rc4-src.tar.gz ftp://ftp.tcl.tk/pub/tcl/tcl8_6/tk8.6.0rc4-src.tar.gz ftp://ftp.tcl.tk/pub/tcl/tcl8_6/tcl860rc4-src.zip ftp://ftp.tcl.tk/pub/tcl/tcl8_6/tk860rc4-src.zip ftp://ftp.tcl.tk/pub/tcl/tcl8_6/tcl8.6.0rc4-html.tar.gz Those are the source code distributions for Tcl and Tk in two archive formats, ...

Building Tcl 8.6.0 with muitlbyte support
Hi all, I am building tcl 8.6.0 with VS2005. I am wondering how can I build it with multibyte support (with multi-thread support too)? I have inserted the "GetModuleFileName" call in the Tcl source code, and it used to work well in 8.5.13. I searched on the web and found the program should be compiled with multibyte support for "GetModuleFileName" to work. So I supposed that 8.6.0 is not built with multibyte support. Any help is greatly appreciated. Regards S-Y. Chen Call GetModuleFileNameW instead. Note that returns wide chars so you have to use Tcl_NewUnicodeObj to store the result On Monday, July 8, 2013 11:26:21 PM UTC+5:30, S-Y. Chen wrote: > Hi all, > > > > I am building tcl 8.6.0 with VS2005. I am wondering how can I build it with multibyte support (with multi-thread support too)? > > > > I have inserted the "GetModuleFileName" call in the Tcl source code, and it used to work well in 8.5.13. > > > > I searched on the web and found the program should be compiled with multibyte support for "GetModuleFileName" to work. So I supposed that 8.6.0 is not built with multibyte support. > > > > Any help is greatly appreciated. > > > > Regards > > S-Y. Chen Well it still doesn't work. (with or without W) This is what I did char strExePath [MAX_PATH]; GetModuleFileName (NULL, strExePath, size...

Binary reader speed comparison
I have a fairly simple binary reader proc that exhibits massive speed differences between Tcl 8.5.8 and Tcl8.6b1.1. Here's the proc: proc readFormatted {filename} { set fd [ open $filename r ] fconfigure $fd -encoding binary -translation binary binary scan [ read $fd 2 ] cc type nextlen if {$type != 75} { return -error "File is not in the expected format" } while {![append buffer [read $fd $nextlen] ; eof $fd]} { binary scan [read $fd 2] cc lastlen nextlen # convert to unsigned value set nextlen ...

ActiveState Tcl 8.4.4.0 and Tile 0.7.8 under Vista crashes
I am using Tcl/Tk 8.4.4.0 (because I want to also use BLT 2.4 and my understanding is that BLT will not run under 8.5), along with Tile 0.7.8 Tile loads OK under the 'package requires' command, but the first time I run a tile command (for example, creating a button), Vista crashes. ttk::button .b1 -text "Test" Is there a solution to this? I have searched comp.lang.tcl, but see no reference to this problem. Thanks On 4/8/11 10:09 PM, thoselaings wrote: > I am using Tcl/Tk 8.4.4.0 (because I want to also use BLT 2.4 and my > understanding is that...

How to use TCL/TK in VC 6.0 application program?
I have a VC 6.0 application for a special need. now , I want to invoke TK command input interface and excute the command through VC application program's a window or a menu. i am a newbie ,please give me some suggestions, thank you! ...

Problem using thread command in Tcl 8.6.0
Hi, I have an external program (let's call it calculate.exe), that will take a long time to run, but can only use one CPU. (I am using Win7). So I am trying the use the thread command in tcl 8.6 to run two jobs simultaneously to save time. Each job for the calculate.exe program needs to run in a separate directory. This is what I do >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> set t1 [thread::create] set t2 [thread::create] thread::send -async $t1 "sour...

can you run e commerce site using just tcl 8.6.2 and a pure tcl webserver?
and have decent performance? ...

Tcl OO mixins and inheritence behaviour change from version 8.6.2 to version 8.6.3
Hi, it seems that implementation of object oriented functionality in tcl8.6.3 changed in a away that breaks my existing code. My test code looks like this: oo::class create MixinClass { method helloWorld {args} { puts "[self class]" catch { next } } } oo::class create BaseClass { mixin MixinClass method helloWorld {args} { puts "[self class]" catch { next } } } oo::class create TargetClass { superclass BaseClass method helloWorld {args} { puts "[self class]" catch { next } } }...

Compatibility between Forms 6.0.8, client 8.0.6 and Server 10.2.0.2?
I'm using Server side: Oracle server 10.2.0.2 (Windows Server 2003) Client side (Windows XP SP2): Net 8 client: 8.0.6.3.2c SQL Plus: 8.0.6.0.0 Application: Forms Runtime: 6.0.8.25.0 Reports Runtime: 6.0.8.25.0 Graphics Runtime: 6.0.8.17.1 Will my client 8.0.6 work properly with 10.2.0.2 server? I tried it, and it seems to work fine, but I'm afraid of some compatibility problems that might come up. It should go in the production in the next 2-3 days, so I don't have enough time for testing. Can I use newer version of client to work with Forms 6i? If so, wit...

Web resources about - What are your favorite tcl libraries or applications not currently included in ActiveTcl 8.6.0 ? - comp.lang.tcl

NZ doctor Alan Kenny flooded with 'trash' applications for $370k job
The New Zealand GP who couldn't find a doctor to take up a $NZ400,000 ($370,000) position at his practice has been inundated with "trash" applicants ...

NZ doctor Alan Kenny flooded with 'trash' applications for $370k job
The New Zealand GP who couldn't find a doctor to take up a $NZ400,000 ($370,000) position at his practice has been inundated with &quot;trash&quot; ...

Patent application could see the Apple Watch calling 911 when it detects a heart-attack
A patent application describes how the Apple Watch and iPhone could work together to detect medical emergencies like a heart attack, and automatically ...

Donald Trump is causing a spike in naturalization applications among Latino immigrants
... report published today in the New York Times, Donald Trump’s overtly racist rhetoric against Latinos has led to a spike in naturalization applications ...

Western Digital Introduces Its First Helium-Filled HDDs for Consumer Applications
... two models with 10 TB capacity. This week Western Digital unveiled the world’s first family of helium-filled HDDs designed for consumer applications, ...

Introducing Analytics for Google Cast Applications
... Engineer on the Google Cast Server Infrastructure Team As a Google Cast developer, you may be wondering how many devices access your application, ...

MBA: Mortgage Applications Decreased in Latest Weekly Survey, Purchase Applications up 27% YoY
From the MBA: Mortgage Applications Decrease in Latest MBA Weekly Survey Mortgage applications decreased 4.8 percent from one week earlier, ...

Review: 5 application security testing tools compared
Users weigh in on favorite features, room for improvement.

Mortgage applications down 4.3%
A very slight inch higher in interest rates caused a more than slight drop in mortgage application volume.