Why are packages in TCL?

Hi all,
            I was just thinking why "package" command was introduced in
TCL. Every code control and naming collision prevention can be achieved
by "namespace" command itself. Then why is the "package" command really
needed ?

Partha

sarathy schrieb:

> Every code control and naming collision prevention can be achieved
> by "namespace" command itself. Then why is the "package" command really
> needed ?

The package mechanism includes elastic versioning (e.g. require 8.3,
get 8.4) and shared lib loading. While every package should live in one
namespace of the same name (not all do - e.g. BWidget creates four, to
wit -
 % packa re BWidget
 1.4.1
 % namespace children ::
 ::Widget ::auto_mkindex_parser ::BWidget ::GlobalVar ::BWIDGET ::pkg
::msgcat ::
tk ::vfs ::tcl
), namespaces can also be put to other uses, e.g. classes or objects
for OO systems.

sarathy wrote:
> Hi all,
>             I was just thinking why "package" command was introduced in
> TCL. Every code control and naming collision prevention can be achieved
> by "namespace" command itself. Then why is the "package" command really
> needed ?

Packages do not address name space collision, they address loading of both
binary and tcl files.

--
+--------------------------------+---------------------------------------+
| Gerald W. Lester                                                       |
sarathy wrote:
> Hi all,
>             I was just thinking why "package" command was introduced in
> TCL. Every code control and naming collision prevention can be achieved
> by "namespace" command itself. Then why is the "package" command really
> needed ?

These commands address two totally different areas. package (as well as
source and load) are oriented towards locating new tcl code. Namespace
is designed to provide contexts into which commands and variables can
live - but it doesn't read disk files and load code into memory.

0
lvirden (1938)
1/2/2007 4:47:49 PM
Thanks a lot. Now I am clear about the difference.

On Jan 2, 9:47 pm, "Larry W. Virden" <lvir...@gmail.com> wrote:
> sarathy wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >             I was just thinking why "package" command was introduced in
> > TCL. Every code control and naming collision prevention can be achieved
> > by "namespace" command itself. Then why is the "package" command really
> > needed ?These commands address two totally different areas. package (as well as
> source and load) are oriented towards locating new tcl code. Namespace
> is designed to provide contexts into which commands and variables can
> live - but it doesn't read disk files and load code into memory.

Packaging tcl packages.
I'm writing tclets which are mostly structured as package requires and glue. This structure seems to cause a problem: to be up-loadable by browsers a tclet has to be a monolithic block containing all necessary code. This raises two questions: Does a tclet have to be a self-contained monolith? My experiments suggest so: two separate tclet up-loads are isolated from one another and can't share code, which seems sensible with respect to safety. I also haven't figured out how to the the tcl equivalent to the Java codebase attribute (although I probably don't understand what codebase is supposed to do). The second question is: assuming a monolithic structure, is there a tool around that can create the monolith? It doesn't seem like too difficult a shell script to write, but dealing with browser-resident errors that result from subtle monolithifying issues isn't my idea of a good time. R. Clayton wrote: > I'm writing tclets which are mostly structured as package requires and glue. > This structure seems to cause a problem: to be up-loadable by browsers a tclet > has to be a monolithic block containing all necessary code. This raises two > questions: > > Does a tclet have to be a self-contained monolith? My experiments suggest so: > two separate tclet up-loads are isolated from one another and can't share code, > which seems sensible with respect to safety. I also haven't figured out how to > the the tcl eq...

How to compile tcl or encrypt tcl
I use TclPro1.5 to compile my tcl script with tixwish in the Solaris before. But I cannot use the same method in Linux. Why? Is there any utility for me to compile or encrypt the code by using tixwish? The following is the simple code if I use the tixwish: #!/home/albertl/local/bin/tixwish puts "haha" And after using procomp by the TclPro1.5 Error in startup script: The TclPro ByteCode Loader is not available or does not support the correct version while executing "error "The TclPro ByteCode Loader is not available or does not support the correct version"" invoked from within "if {[catch {package require tbcload 1.3} err] == 1} { error "The TclPro ByteCode Loader is not available or does not support the correct version" ...." (file "a.tbc" line 4) The problem seems that tbcload1.3 cannot be found? But tbcload is already there "/home/albertl/local/lib/tbcload1.3" Why? Can anyone tell me? stratus schrieb: > I use TclPro1.5 to compile my tcl script with tixwish in the Solaris before. > But I cannot use the same method in Linux. Why? > > Is there any utility for me to compile or encrypt the code by using tixwish? > Tixwish is just a wish shell with the Tix package baked in. If TclPro does not have a specific bigwish with Tix included your out of luck on that road (but could build your own if you liked). You might have success with freewrap or TDK, don't know for su...

Hello It's Friday and... well... Two things about Tcl going through my mind this week, a nice anecdote and a eyebrow-rising thing on Wikipedia: Anecdote: Until three months ago I worked in a scientific institue where I wrote much software in Tcl, especially a big Build and Report System, some tools for automatic checking of coding style and other things. Tcl had a bad reputation there (not because of me... they dropped Tcl before I started there in favour of Joy, then JavaScript and now Python) and besides me, there was only one co-worker who appearantly writes some small Tcl-Scripts to support other researchers in their work. To get completely rid of Tcl, they even started to reimplement all things, I wrote in Tcl in Python just to have it in a language, that most of them know (which is a good decision on the one hand, but on the other hand, I think, it would be better to simply learn Tcl ;-), which made me a little bit sad. Now there is a new collegue who has to maintain some of the things I wrote. Comming from Perl he wasn't exactly enthusiastic when he heard, that he must maintain my old code in such an obscure language.. Two weeks ago, I got mail from him. He's just studying a complex system of scripts that are used for a sandboxed build system for source code which comes from external untrusted source and must be compiled and tested. Of course it's written in Tcl (and some bash-Scripting). He told me, that although he has never looked at Tcl before,...

tcl application with tcl application

Tcl packages
Is there a summary of all tcl packages and what they do any where? I often come across a package that provides functionaility I need after I've gone and developed that functionality myself. I generally have a preference for using published packages rather than developing my own code because I feel the published package will be more thouroughly tested that some code I wrote this morning. I recall from my small dabble with java that I though the biggest challenge wan't writing the code, it was knowing what classes already exist and how to use them. Is tcl becoming like this? Th...

TCL
Hello, i would like to build TCL/TK as a separate DLL-Library. Can anyone tell me how this can be done with VC 6.0? Best regards, Reinhold "Reinhold.kwauka" <bernd-reinhold.kwauka@t-online.de> wrote: >Hello, > >i would like to build TCL/TK as a separate DLL-Library. Can anyone tell me >how this can be done >with VC 6.0? > >Best regards, >Reinhold > 1) get the source from http://tcl.sourceforge.net/ 2) open a command prompt 3) cd to the win/ subdirectory 4) call vcvars32.bat located in ??\vc98\bin\ of vc6 for wherever you installed it. 5) type @ the prompt: nmake -f makefile.vc -- David Gravereaux <davygrvy@pobox.com> [species: human; planet: earth,milkyway(western spiral arm),alpha sector] Reinhold.kwauka wrote: > Hello, > > i would like to build TCL/TK as a separate DLL-Library. Can anyone tell me > how this can be done > with VC 6.0? > > Best regards, > Reinhold > > Its already done. Just download a binary release for windows and check \Program Files\Tcl\lib for the DLLs and static libraries. ...

Tcl
Hello all. I found on hobbes the afaik latest Tcl for Os/2 v8.35 Is there any newer port, cause i try to update the eggdrop and that says: Your Tcl version is much too old for Eggdrop to use. You should download and compile a more recent version. The most reliable current version is 8.5.X and can be downloaded from ftp://tcl.activestate.com/pub/tcl/tcl8_5/. -- With the best regards from the Netherlands, Tu, "Tellerbop" <Tellerbop@wint.nl>, hai scritto questo in data Wed, 14 Jan 2009 19:11:18 UTC: > Hello all. > > I found on hobbes the afaik latest Tcl for Os/2...

Tcl
Hello, where can I see for tcl syntacs and how-to run a tcl test? Thank You Vittore ___________________________________ Yahoo! Mail: gratis 1GB per i messaggi e allegati da 10MB http://mail.yahoo.it ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Posted to the ptolemy-hackers mailing list. Please send administrative mail for this list to: ptolemy-hackers-request@ptolemy.eecs.berkeley.edu ...

dynamic call of tcl proc from tcl
Hello, I would like to invoce a tcl proc from a line of tcl where I have a proc name and a list variable of arguments. eg. % callproc $procName $argList where: ..callproc - TCL Procedure for dynamically calling procedures ..procName - Name of procedure to be called in a string ..argList - List of Arguments My goal is to avoid creating a procedure call as a string and evaluating it as there are many potential pitfalls with using evals in such a way. Thanks, JsD Java script Dude wrote: > I would like to invoce a tcl proc from a line of tcl where I have a > proc name and a list variable of arguments. > > eg. % callproc $procName $argList > > where: > .callproc - TCL Procedure for dynamically calling procedures > .procName - Name of procedure to be called in a string > .argList - List of Arguments Except for error/exception handling, the answer is: proc callproc {cmd argList} { uplevel 1 [linsert $argList 0 $cmd] } -- | Don Porter Mathematical and Computational Sciences Division | | donald.porter@nist.gov Information Technology Laboratory | | http://math.nist.gov/~DPorter/ NIST | |______________________________________________________________________| [; Thanks Don ;] ...

Tcl extension: check Tcl version?
Is there a recommended way to check if a (binary) Tcl extension is loaded to the same Tcl version that was used for linking the extension? Currently I'm encountering a problem with an extension that I have built (and linked) with libtk8.3.so and that can be loaded under wish8.5 as well (without re-bulding, using package require). A number of newly provided commands work well in spite of the version mixture, but others don't, and wish8.5 crashes when these commands are used. Is this behavior normal, i.e. should I check that compile-time version and run-time version are identical? Or does this indicate some subtle coding problem? Thanks for any suggestions Olaf Olaf Dietrich wrote: > Is there a recommended way to check if a (binary) Tcl extension > is loaded to the same Tcl version that was used for linking > the extension? > > Currently I'm encountering a problem with an extension that > I have built (and linked) with libtk8.3.so and that can be > loaded under wish8.5 as well (without re-bulding, using > package require). A number of newly provided commands work > well in spite of the version mixture, but others don't, and > wish8.5 crashes when these commands are used. > > Is this behavior normal, i.e. should I check that compile-time > version and run-time version are identical? Or does this > indicate some subtle coding problem? Not subtle. Major problem. DO NOT DO THAT. If you want to be loadable across mult...

How Tcl source finds init.tcl???
Hi, I have one question about how Tcl finds init.tcl. What environment variable does Tcl source use to get the search path for init.tcl? Is there any way to specifically use init.tcl from a certain path? Thanks a lot in advance! Lihong lihong pei wrote: > I have one question about how Tcl finds init.tcl. > What environment variable does Tcl source use to get the search path for > init.tcl? If the environment variable TCL_LIBRARY exists, it's value is assumed to be a single directory which is added to the search path for init.tcl. Note that this is offered mostly as a way for...

[TCL] diff type operations in TCL
I didn't see anything in tcllib and thus far haven't turned up anything that looks like it will work. I would like to know if there is a TCL package, or already written procedure, that will do a simple diff of two files and tell me if they're the same or if they have differences. Is there anything like this? --------------------------------------------- Andrew R. Falanga (a non-HP employee) Hewlett-Packard Company 11311 Chinden Blvd. Boise, Idaho --------------------------------------------- Please note: The e-mail address is purposely mangled. I do not wish my account at HP to become a spam haven. Andrew Falanga wrote: > I didn't see anything in tcllib and thus far haven't turned up anything > that looks like it will work. I would like to know if there is a TCL > package, or already written procedure, that will do a simple diff of two > files and tell me if they're the same or if they have differences. > > Is there anything like this? If all you want to know is if they are different, then: set fd [open $file1 r] set f1 [read $fd] close $fd set fd [open $file2 r] set f2 [read $fd] close $fd if {[string equal $f1 $f2]} then { puts "'$file1' and '$file2' are the same." } else { puts "'$file1' and '$file2' are different." } -- +--------------------------------+---------------------------------------+ | Gerald W. Lester ...

[TCL] multi-threaded tcl apps
Hi, Where can one find complete documentation on the ttrace package to the Thread package? I'd like to know what commands are available in ttrace and how to use them. --------------------------------------------- Andrew R. Falanga (a non-HP employee) Hewlett-Packard Company 11311 Chinden Blvd. Boise, Idaho --------------------------------------------- Please note: The e-mail address is purposely mangled. I do not wish my account at HP to become a spam haven. If you wish to e-mail me, the address consists of a dot between my first and last names (excluding my middle initial). The rest is accurate. Also, note, responses must be within the given context of messages I've posted to usenet. If it's not, I WILL NOT RESPOND! ...

Debugger for Tcl/Tk and [incr Tcl]

Tcl command to evaluate a tcl script?
Hi all, I need to evaluate a separate tcl file within a tcl file. Is there any tcl command to evaluate a tcl file ? Regards, Prabu.K prabu wrote: > Hi all, > > I need to evaluate a separate tcl file within a tcl file. Is there any > tcl command to evaluate a tcl file ? > > Regards, > Prabu.K > hi, try: source your_other_tcl_file.tcl cheers, Tobi ...

MS Dictation and TCL
I'm trying to use the MS dictation tool while in TCL 8.5 program. The text starts to appear, but then the program crashes. It would be great to find a way to make this work. Thanks! Barney Tcl 8.5 (wish 8.5) makeindex (12/14/2007) MSWinXP sp3 plenty of ram and storage ...

Web resources about - Why are packages in TCL? - comp.lang.tcl

CARE Package - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In 1945, the newly formed CARE (then the Cooperative for American Remittances to Europe) initiated a program to send food relief to Europe, where ...

Brisbane council election: Quirk promises Mt Coot-tha zipline in $11.4m package
A new zipline and bus loop would be introduced to Mt Coot-tha under a re-elected Liberal National Party council administration, Brisbane Lord ...

ANU modelling suggests more families to lose out in childcare package
Australian National University modelling of the Coalition's new childcare package suggests more families will be hit by the proposed changes ...

LinkedIn CEO Jeff Weiner passes $US14 million stock package to employees
LinkedIn CEO Jeff Weiner will decline his 2016 annual stock compensation in order to pass it on to his employees.

ANU modelling suggests more families to lose out in childcare package
Australian National University modelling of the Coalition's new childcare package suggests more families will be hit by the proposed changes ...

Bell tells staff to downplay new $25 basic TV package ordered by CRTC
Bell is directing sales staff not to promote its basic $24.95 "Starter" Fibe TV package, according to a recent internal Bell training document ...

Brands Are Making Packages the Media of the Future
Consumers may keep finding ways to avoid ads, and retailers are making it harder for brands to get displays into stores. But packaged-goods marketers ...

Rio Tinto chief executive Sam Walsh has received a smaller remuneration package
The crash in commodity prices has claimed a new victim: the remuneration package afforded to Rio Tinto chief executive Sam Walsh.

Package Wars: Amazon, FedEx both planning new delivery operations
News broke virtually at the same time that both Amazon and FedEx are plotting major distribution operations. Amazon.com Inc. (Nasdaq: AMZN) confirmed ...

Marissa Mayer is secretly trying to sell a 'package deal' that would keep her as Yahoo CEO
Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer is secretly pitching a "package deal" that would sell Yahoo's core business under the condition that she remain CEO, ...