wrapper for Tcl/Tk programs

Hi,

I am searching for a wrapper which makes applications distributable
that I write. I have already tried prowrap and freewrap, but it seems
that they do not work as I would expect. The main thing, that I want
is that _all_ depended packages from the tcl lib directory (in my case
that is C:/Tcl/lib) are included more or less automatically, so that
there is no need to specify hundrets of extra arguments and write 1000
lines of extra code to hack the application until it works as a
wrapped one. The latter is really painfull, especially if you want to
wrap an application that you have not written all alone...
It would be the most convenient way to do a simple "package require"
for all the packages that are in the $TCLHOME/lib directory - similar
to the way, the McMillan installer for Python apps works.

Is there such an installer available somewhere?

Thank you much in advance,

Eckhard ;)
0
ecky (1)

Eckhard Lehmann wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am searching for a wrapper which makes applications distributable
> that I write. I have already tried prowrap and freewrap, but it seems
> that they do not work as I would expect. The main thing, that I want
> is that _all_ depended packages from the tcl lib directory (in my case
> that is C:/Tcl/lib) are included more or less automatically, so that
> there is no need to specify hundrets of extra arguments and write 1000
> lines of extra code to hack the application until it works as a
> wrapped one. The latter is really painfull, especially if you want to
> wrap an application that you have not written all alone...
> It would be the most convenient way to do a simple "package require"
> for all the packages that are in the $TCLHOME/lib directory - similar
> to the way, the McMillan installer for Python apps works.
>
> Is there such an installer available somewhere?
>
> Thank you much in advance,
>
> Eckhard ;)

Hm, I do not know if this is what you are looking for, but many of
us find the tclkit approach very convenient. <http://wiki.tcl.tk/tclkit>
or <http://www.equi4.com/tclkit.html> are the places to find more info.

Regards,

Arjen
0
arjen.markus (2628)
10/20/2003 7:16:38 AM
I agree with Arjen, I recently started using starpack to create a single
file executable of my tcl app - it's very simple and quick to learn.

Glenn

Arjen Markus wrote:
> Eckhard Lehmann wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I am searching for a wrapper which makes applications distributable
>>that I write. I have already tried prowrap and freewrap, but it seems
>>that they do not work as I would expect. The main thing, that I want
>>is that _all_ depended packages from the tcl lib directory (in my case
>>that is C:/Tcl/lib) are included more or less automatically, so that
>>there is no need to specify hundrets of extra arguments and write 1000
>>lines of extra code to hack the application until it works as a
>>wrapped one. The latter is really painfull, especially if you want to
>>wrap an application that you have not written all alone...
>>It would be the most convenient way to do a simple "package require"
>>for all the packages that are in the $TCLHOME/lib directory - similar
>>to the way, the McMillan installer for Python apps works.
>>
>>Is there such an installer available somewhere?
>>
>>Thank you much in advance,
>>
>>Eckhard ;)
>

> Hm, I do not know if this is what you are looking for, but many of
> us find the tclkit approach very convenient. <http://wiki.tcl.tk/tclkit>
> or <http://www.equi4.com/tclkit.html> are the places to find more info.
>
> Regards,
>
> Arjen

0
Glenn
10/20/2003 9:42:33 PM
According to Eckhard Lehmann <ecky@e-lehmann.de>:
:The main thing, that I want
:is that _all_ depended packages from the tcl lib directory (in my case
:that is C:/Tcl/lib) are included more or less automatically, so that
:there is no need to specify hundrets of extra arguments and write 1000
:lines of extra code to hack the application until it works as a
:wrapped one.

:It would be the most convenient way to do a simple "package require"
:for all the packages that are in the $TCLHOME/lib directory - similar
:to the way, the McMillan installer for Python apps works.
:
:Is there such an installer available somewhere?

I don't know of such a thing.

I've always wished that someone would cobble together some sort of application
that would somehow identify all dependencies for an application, so that one
could do some automated generation of what is often called 'starkits' here
on comp.lang.tcl .

The problem is for something to be 100% accurate, it has to get through
all logic paths to trigger any possible invocation of package.  And even
then, it would only be accurate as long as the application didn't provide
user hooks to package loading functionality.

If one could rename package, then create a wrapper that first outputs to a log
file the arguments for each invocation of package require (and
ideally the full pathname to be used to load the package), then invokes the
original package require, I _think_ one could have a pretty good shot at
identifying the majority of packages used.

With the full pathnames of the specific library, one should be able to
copy recursively the files for the specific libraries into a new directory
which could be added to the application's starkit.

Then one would need to write an appl
--
0
lvirden272 (610)

E.J. Friedman-Hill's Tcl/Tk Course

YouTube Playlist: Tcl/Tk Object Oriented Programming Using Itcl (incr Tcl) Lessons
Hi. Like I promised you hours ago.. The playlist in English : https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLsAEIIjTPIo_1qeuc-rYwk0nxWAM38Dl_ The same playlist in Arabic : https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLsAEIIjTPIo_91kA-iUz_5XGNmHzivHBG Enjoy! On Saturday, January 17, 2015 at 4:04:21 PM UTC+2, Rani Ahmad wrote: > Hi. > > Like I promised you hours ago.. > > The playlist in English : > > https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLsAEIIjTPIo_1qeuc-rYwk0nxWAM38Dl_ > > The same playlist in Arabic : > > https://www.youtube.com/playli...

Debugger for Tcl/Tk and [incr Tcl]

Newbie to Tcl/Tk: Question about Tcl and VxWorks....
Hello All, I have tried looking on the offical tcl/tk website and also at WindRiver's without success. Please forgive my ignorance on this, but is tcl/tk available for VxWorks or is there in progress a port going on. Many thanks in advance, Richard "Richard Latter" <richard_l@latter.demon.co.uk> writes: > I have tried looking on the offical tcl/tk website and also at WindRiver's > without success. Please forgive my ignorance on this, but is tcl/tk > available for VxWorks or is there in progress a port going on. I have ancient Tcl 7.3 here, but don't know of newer ports. Donald Arseneau asnd@triumf.ca ...

Incr Tcl /Tk for Tcl 8.4

tcl/tk unicode wie kann man formel/math. zeichen in tk unter tcl anzeigen lassen?
Hallo, ich schreibe gerade an einen programm, dass auf windows unix und vielleicht auch anderen plattformen laufen soll. es sollen auch mathematische zeichen wie alpha 'm�' etc. dargestellt werden. mit welchen zeichensatz (vielleicht unicode) kann man dies realisieren? funktioniert es mit einen zeichensatz f�r alle plattformen unabh�ngig? English summary for the rest of the world: sven.rega@gmx.de would like to use mathematical symbols like "mu" in Tk applications. He asks if Unicode is the solution and whether that works on all platforms. I assert that Unicode works since Tcl 8.1 and that UCN syntax like \u00B5 is the way to go with symbols hardcoded in Tcl scripts. I point him to "charmap.exe" (Windows), "Character Palette" (Mac OS X) or generically to <http://www.unicode.org> to find out the Unicode code points. ---------------- Hi, Versuch doch bitte beim n�chsten Mal auf Englisch zu fragen, sonst kann Dir nur ein Bruchteil der Leute hier folgen. sven.rega@gmx.de (xfan) writes: > ich schreibe gerade an einen programm, dass auf windows unix und > vielleicht auch anderen plattformen laufen soll. es sollen auch > mathematische zeichen wie alpha 'm�' etc. dargestellt werden. mit > welchen zeichensatz (vielleicht unicode) kann man dies realisieren? Ja, das funktioniert mit Unicode in Tcl seit Version 8.1. > funktioniert es mit einen zeichensatz f�r alle plattformen > unabh�ngig? Das ist die ...

Tcl/Tk as subordinate program.
Tcl was designed as a glue program. With the addition of Tk it has also become a gui programming language. But the assumption is that Tcl is the program that starts other programs. I have a series of programs which need the graphical capabilities of TK not as part of a main program but as a callable subroutine. This is the principle behind Perl/Tk. I would like a similar interface but not using Perl but rather C as the interface to Tk. The books describe in detail how to call a C program from Tcl/Tk but not the reverse, calling a Tcl/Tk entity from another program. Has anyone done this kind of work? Is there any such documentation? TIA -- John Culleton Able Indexers and Typesetters John Culleton wrote: > I have a series of programs which need the graphical capabilities of TK not > as part of a main program but as a callable subroutine. This is the > principle behind Perl/Tk. I would like a similar interface but not using > Perl but rather C as the interface to Tk. The books describe in detail how > to call a C program from Tcl/Tk but not the reverse, calling a Tcl/Tk > entity from another program. Has anyone done this kind of work? Is there > any such documentation? Tcl was originally designed with this in mind, so yes, it's possible - indeed, it works very well! The heart of what you want to do is Tcl_Eval, which will evaluate Tcl scripts (it just doesn't make sense to call Tk from C function by function). You also have to do some setup...

how to access prolog from tcl?(not using tcl/tk interface from prolog)
hi, I am now doing my thesis project relate to mobile agent technology which need to access prolog from tcl. There are a lot of prologs which have the function to access tcl from prolog, but I need to access prolog from tcl.(I can not use the method that first load prolog, then access tcl via the interface, and reload prolog). So is there any one can help me or give me some tips to solve this problem? Now I can only found one article to solve this problem(http://tkoutline.sourceforge.net/wiki/38). I tried the code, but unfortunately, the terminal always crashed and did not give any response when I run the second command of its example---"% prolog::init". I could run the command of "plcon -s interp.pl -t main -q" in DOS terminal without problem. Originally I thought it is the version problem of tcl, so I changed it from 8.4.9 to 8.0.3, but the problem was still there. My SWI-prolog version is 3.1.2. My operating system is winXP. I am now very nervous about that, Please give me some help to solve this problem, or tell me some other way to access prolog from tcl. Thank you very much I did not give up the solution of (http://tkoutline.sourceforge.net/wiki/38). Now I changed SWI-prolog version to 5.4.4. When I run the second command(prolog::init) of the example from wish.exe, it pop up a window, said that Prolog interpreter closed unexpectedly Prolog interpreter closed unexpectedly while executing "error "Prolog interpreter closed unexpect...

question about tcl/tk and c program
In my Tcl/Tk scripts, I want to program different branches according to the result of my C extension procedures. In the C procedure, we usually use such codes as follow: int CountStart(ClientData clientData, Tcl_Interp *interp,int argc, char *argv[]) { ............... ................ interp->result = "end vpstart."; //return TCL_OK; return TCL_ERROR; } In Tcl/Tk scripts, we can use "set ret [count_start $sym]" or "catch {count_start $sym} ret" to call the C procedure CountStart. The variable "ret" is assigned with the string which was saved in "interp->result". Now I want it can return 0 or 1 or 2 in the C procedure CountStart, and then it can identify the result when call the c procedure in Tcl/Tk scripts. I just want identify the number which is in the "return ...." sentence, not in the interp->="....". How can I do this? Best Regards Guo "sunnyboyGuo@gmail.com" <sunnyboyGuo@gmail.com> wrote: # In my Tcl/Tk scripts, I want to program different branches according to # the result of my C extension procedures. # In the C procedure, we usually use such codes as follow: # int CountStart(ClientData clientData, Tcl_Interp *interp,int argc, char # *argv[]) # { # .............. # ............... # interp->result = "end vpstart."; # //return TCL_OK; # return TCL_ERROR; # } # In Tcl/Tk scripts, we can use "set ret [count_start $sym]" or # "...

Pls recommend Tcl/Tk program
Hi all, I am a Tcl learner and want to read some Tcl/Tk program. Please recommend some programs or resource about 1000 lines (I prefer Tk based GUI program). Thanks! Thanks, Davy Davy wrote: > Hi all, > > I am a Tcl learner and want to read some Tcl/Tk program. Please > recommend some programs or resource about 1000 lines (I prefer Tk based > GUI program). Thanks! > > Thanks, > Davy > Tk demos provided with Tk should be excellent for you :) -- Pozdrawiam! (Regards!) Googie Davy wrote: > Hi all, > > I am a Tcl learner and want to read some Tcl/Tk program. Please > recommend some programs or resource about 1000 lines (I prefer Tk based > GUI program). Thanks! > Davy I think aMSN would be a suitable candidate for study. It is a very good substitute for MSN Messenger, although there are some features it does not, as yet implement. Also it is very much actively supported. I haven't looked at the code for a while and cannot remember how big it is. There are certainly quite a few source modules involved. A couple of additional points: 1) aMSN implements a tray icon - interesting to see how this is done. 2) aMSN is multi-platform, although the versions are somewhat different - tray icon handling is an obvious area of difference. Downloading both the Linux & Windows versions might be useful if this aspect was of interest later on. http://amsn.sourceforge.net/ BTW, I am not involved in the creation or suppo...

Anybody programming tcl/tk in CosmosScope here?
Hi, CosmosScope is a waveform viewer offered by Synopsys Inc. It is tcl/tk aware and has been extended with extra functions and is called AIM by Synopsys. I am desperately trying to find out how to get a list of waveform handles that I can use for further processing. -- Svenn <svenn.are@bjerkem.de> wrote > CosmosScope is a waveform viewer offered by Synopsys Inc. > It is tcl/tk aware and has been extended with extra functions > and is called AIM by Synopsys. I am desperately trying to > find out how to get a list of waveform handles that I can > use for further processing. I think I did that once. But I ended up saving a script that just referred to waveforms by their names (e.g., "v(2)"). Find the "aimref.pdf" document, and look up the pf: commands. I think you can get the number of waveforms from pf:info, and the waveforms are named something like WF:1. Bob -- Bob Techentin techentin.robert@NOSPAMmayo.edu Mayo Foundation (507) 538-5495 200 First St. SW FAX (507) 284-9171 Rochester MN, 55901 USA http://www.mayo.edu/sppdg/ svenn.are@bjerkem.de wrote in message news:<5fb00e69.0409210549.47f3a948@posting.google.com>... > Hi, > CosmosScope is a waveform viewer offered by Synopsys Inc. It is tcl/tk > aware and has been extended with extra functions and is called AIM by > Synopsys. I am desperately trying to find out how ...

Book to learn programming in Tcl/Tk
Hi, Which of both books is the best for someone whithout any real programming knowledge at all to start learning and hacking Tcl/Tk? * Tcl and the Tk Toolkit (2nd Edition) * Practical Programming in Tcl and Tk (4th Edition) Another suggestion is also welcome. For what they're worth, mycomments on Tcl/Tk books are here: http://billposer.org/TclTk.html On Mar 10, 7:07=A0pm, stero <s.devri...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi, > > Which of both books is the best for someone whithout any real > programming knowledge at all to start learning and hacking Tcl/Tk? > > * Tcl and the Tk Toolkit (2nd Edition) This one is currently expected later this year - the last time I checked Amazon, I believe it was listed as August 10, 2009. I've not seen it yet, but I know that Ken Jones, the gentleman who is doing the revision to the classic text, has a lot of experience teaching Tcl, so I would expect it will be a great improvement. I have the first edition, and it was great to have it in the beginning when I was learning, but I found I enjoyed some of the later books better. > * Practical Programming in Tcl and Tk (4th Edition) I've had several editions of this book. It is the book I turn to when I need help in an area of Tcl in which I have less experience. However, it is 6 years old. > > Another suggestion is also welcome. Well, I've not read it, but I'm told that Tcl/Tk: A Developer's Guide by Clif Flynt is pretty good. It too is 6 y...

ANNOUNCE: ADB and ADBSQL pure-tcl database engine for Tcl/Tk
Dear All, I'm happy to announce today the first release of adb/adbsql. ADB together with the MySQL database connectivity module adbsql are a Tcl/Tk package useful for Tcl/Tk programmers that want to store their data in a database-kind of way with tables and fields. Two (optional) features of ADB that may make it worthwhile for you: * Writing the database as XML output and later of course the ability to read it. * Connecting directly to a MySQL database. The fun part of ADB is that you can either use it as a full pure tcl library, or you can use these advanced features that require additional packages. Both modules are released under open source LGPL or BSD licenses (your pick) More information: http://wiki.tcl.tk/6319 - Tcl/Tk wiki page on ADB http://sourceforge.net/projects/adbsql/ - Sourceforge page (including download area) http://adbsql.sourceforge.net/adb.html - Manual page of ADB http://adbsql.sourceforge.net/adbsql.html - Manual page of ADBSQL Kind regards, Roalt Aalmoes ...

Registration Open for 19th Annual Tcl/Tk Conference (Tcl'2012)
19th Annual Tcl/Tk Conference (Tcl'2012) http://www.tcl.tk/community/tcl2012/ November 12 - 16, 2012 Sessions: National Museum of Health and Medicine Chicago 175 W. Washington Chicago, IL 60602 Rooms: Holiday Inn Chicago Mart Plaza 350 West Mart Center Drive Chicago, Illinois, USA Map/Transport: https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=204739899073144451536.0004c144222a9036c99f6&msa=0&ll=41.885266,-87.633734&spn=0.008443,0.018818 http://wiki.tcl.tk/28843#pagetoca7e55932 I am pleased to announce that registration for the Conference is now open at http://www.tcl.tk/community/tcl2012/reg.html To book a room at the conference hotel at reduced rates please follow the instructions on that page. Note that the offer of reduced rates expires on October 20. Book early. Our schedule can be found at http://www.tcl.tk/community/tcl2012/schedule.html Conference Committee Clif Flynt Noumena Corp General Chair, Website Admin Andreas Kupries ActiveState Software Inc. Program Chair Cyndy Lilagan Nat. Museum of Health & Medicine, Chicago Site/Facilities Chair Arjen Markus Deltares Brian Griffin Mentor Graphics Donal Fellows University of Manchester Gerald Lester KnG Consulting, LLC Jeffrey Hobbs ActiveState Software Inc. Kevin Kenny GE Global Research Center Larry Virden Mike Doyle ...

URGENT : running commands from a tcl/tk program
I am trying to write a program which executes user commands, like ping,etc. My program runs as long as I pass a single parameter, like, "notepad", "mspaint". When I want to execute, "ping 127.0.0.1", I get the error message - "coundn't execute "ping 127.0.0.1", no such file or directory". But if I run a single command "ping" and leave the arguments field empty in the Tk widget, the output is correct and as expected. Here is my code: ########################################################################### #This program Runs certain commands line "notepad","mspaint",etc, but doesn't run "ping","cmd", etc #_______________________________________________________________________________________________________ # Title of the Widget wm title . CommandRun #This frame is for command label and entry field frame .level1 -borderwidth 10 pack .level1 -side top -fill x #This frame is for argument label and entry field frame .level2 -borderwidth 10 pack .level2 -side top -fill x #Button to quit the program button .level1.quit -text Quit -command exit #Button to run the program set but [button .level1.run -text "Run" -command Run] pack .level1.quit .level1.run -side right #A label and an entry field for command input label .level1.l -text Command: -padx 7 entry .level1.cmd -width 20 -relief sunken \ -textvariable command #A label and entry field for ar...

Practical Programming in Tcl and Tk, 5th edition?
I want to buy it. Any info when/if it will happen? I remember some info about it, but nothing reicently. Thanks, marc -- ms4720@sdf.lonestar.org SDF Public Access UNIX System - http://sdf.lonestar.org ...

question about compiling tcl/tk and c program
hello,everyone My ActiveTcl is installed in /home/myname/ActiveTcl. when I compile our tcl and c programs. I write a makefile and I set the -I and -L options as follows: -I~/ActiveTcl/include -L~/ActiveTcl/lib -ltcl8.4 -ltk8.4 after excute make command, the compile message as follows: /usr/bin/ld:cannot find -ltcl8.4 collect2: ld returned 1 exit status I code another small program, and use the follow command: gcc test.c -o test -I~ActiveTcl/include -I~/ActiveTcl/lib ~/ActiveTcl/lib/libtcl8.4.so it can compile successfully, but if use the follw command: gcc test.c -o test -I~ActiveTcl/include -I~/ActiveTcl/lib -ltcl8.4 it cannot find -ltcl8.4 what's wrong? I need your help. thank you very much. guo Hi Guo, guo writes: > gcc test.c -o test -I~ActiveTcl/include -I~/ActiveTcl/lib > ~/ActiveTcl/lib/libtcl8.4.so > it can compile successfully, but if use the follw command: > gcc test.c -o test -I~ActiveTcl/include -I~/ActiveTcl/lib > -ltcl8.4 > it cannot find -ltcl8.4 Short version: Use this instead: gcc -o test test.c \ -I$HOME/ActiveTcl/include \ -L$HOME/ActiveTcl/lib -ltcl8.4 Long version: "~" is a feature of the shell, just like "*" and "?". But "~" is only evaluated at the *start* of strings. So the shell will translate ~/something => $HOME/something => /home/guo/something (assuming that your home directory is "/home/guo"). But the shell will not touch -I~/Active...

Web resources about - wrapper for Tcl/Tk programs - comp.lang.tcl

Program - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

$2.7 billion dental program likely to get the chop, say dentists
Federal Health Minister Sussan Ley is very likely to scrap the $2.7 billion child dental health program in the next budget, warn dentists.

Why Safe Schools program must be kept
Farrah Tomazin explains why keeping the Safe Schools program is a no-brainer.

Clive Palmer opens up about Queensland Nickel on ABC TV’s Insiders program - The Courier-Mail Search ...
CLUELESS Clive Palmer has no idea what approvals he needs to keep his Townsville refinery afloat and is dodging calls from State Government officials, ...

Bezos unveils his plans for space program
KENT, Wash. — Long before he ever conceived of the idea to sell books on the Internet, he was obsessed with space. It started at age 5 when he ...

Kasich, Cruz, Rubio Talk Tough on Foreign Workers Programs
Kasich, Cruz, Rubio Talk Tough on Foreign Workers Programs

An AI expert says Google's Go-playing program is missing 1 key feature of human intelligence
For the first time in history, a computer program is poised to beat one of the world's best human players at the 2,500-year-old game of Go — ...

Josh Duggar has left his faith-based sex rehab program after six months
... Josh’s general and specific awfulness. The Duggar family released a statement too: Josh has completed his residential rehabilitation program. ...

Top Republican unveils $98B in cuts to social programs
WASHINGTON (AP) — A senior House Republican is seeking to cut child tax credits for immigrants working in the U.S. illegally.

CSO50 2016: UN development program provides cybersecurity assistance
The CSO50 recognizes 50 security projects, taken on by 45 organizations, that demonstrate outstanding thought leadership and business value. ...