junk/garbage posts

Whats the deal with these garbage posts in the VHDL  news group.
Is there any way these people can be banned ?
I am not sure how this group is administered, but it would be nice if
bogus posts
could be removed...

just my 2 cents

0
wallge (19)
11/28/2006 4:14:03 PM
comp.lang.vhdl 6430 articles. 2 followers. Post Follow

wallge wrote:
> Whats the deal with these garbage posts in the VHDL  news group.
> Is there any way these people can be banned ?
> I am not sure how this group is administered, but it would be nice if
> bogus posts
> could be removed...
>

> just my 2 cents

top posting it multiple is very bad, but then maybe its MI5 showing off
the potential techniques they'll use if you do a pollonium spy on them
:)

cheers

0
jacko
11/28/2006 6:04:11 PM
On 28 Nov 2006 08:14:03 -0800, wallge <wallge@gmail.com> wrote:
> Whats the deal with these garbage posts in the VHDL  news group.
> Is there any way these people can be banned ?
> I am not sure how this group is administered, but it would be nice if
> bogus posts
> could be removed...

I believe that there are a large number of volunteers that work
diligently at killing spam messages on usenet. So already a large
proportion of the junk/spam is filtered out.

Beyond that, the only answer is moderation. Not really worth it for a 20
post a day newsgroup.

A bientot
Paul
(Not speaking for Mentor Graphics)
--
Paul Floyd                 http://paulf.free.fr (for what it's worth)
Surgery: ennobled Gerald.
wallge wrote:
> Whats the deal with these garbage posts in the VHDL  news group.
> Is there any way these people can be banned ?
> I am not sure how this group is administered, but it would be nice if
> bogus posts
> could be removed...

To a large extent, the number of "garbage posts" you see is determined
by where you are reading usenet news from. How many are you seeing?

Some hosts do a very good job of "filtering", that is, they honor the
cancels that Floyd mentions. Other news hosts do not, or do a poor job.
I have used newsguy (a pay service) and the news server provided by
pacbell/sbc/yahoo (which I think is actually provided by Supernews,
another pay service), and both do an excellent job (IMO) of keeping the
newsgroup clean.
0
Duane
11/28/2006 7:43:34 PM
google groups
there are a ton of garbage posts today
Duane Clark wrote:
> wallge wrote:
> > Whats the deal with these garbage posts in the VHDL  news group.
> > Is there any way these people can be banned ?
> > I am not sure how this group is administered, but it would be nice if
> > bogus posts
> > could be removed...
>
> To a large extent, the number of "garbage posts" you see is determined
> by where you are reading usenet news from. How many are you seeing?
>
> Some hosts do a very good job of "filtering", that is, they honor the
> cancels that Floyd mentions. Other news hosts do not, or do a poor job.
> I have used newsguy (a pay service) and the news server provided by
> pacbell/sbc/yahoo (which I think is actually provided by Supernews,
> another pay service), and both do an excellent job (IMO) of keeping the
> newsgroup clean.

0
wallge
11/28/2006 10:50:09 PM
wallge wrote:
> google groups
> there are a ton of garbage posts today

Ah.. I took a look over there. A bunch of posts about MI5 persecution...
how relevant ;) Fortunately, they are not showing up on my news server
:-) Maybe someone over at google is spending to much time doing online
shopping for christmas.
0
Duane
11/28/2006 11:34:07 PM
All of these posts are coming from one "free" news server.

Contact them about it; they are the ones allowing it to happen, and
they should have the ability to cancel the posts.

0
ghelbig