bios keeps reverting to old settings

Guys,

you folks have been so much help in the past. I thought I'd ask another
question. I am trying to fix up an old DELL latitude CP. I have already
formatted it and installed w98 SE. I have noticed that the touchpad mouse
doesnt work. Nor does the onboard battery charging system.

I've looked in the BIOS and have noticed that the settings keep reverting to
the factory defaults. This is a problems if the BIOS keeps reverting to a
regular PS/2mouse when it should be looking for a touchpad first. I think my
problem may lie here. I'm not sure though. Does the CMOS battery keep the
BIOS alive? Or at least somehow make it reset? Does anyone know the answer
to my touchpad not working? I know an external mouse works just fine.

What about my charging system? The battery that s in it can be taken out,
shows a full charge according to the LED "fuel" gauge thats built in, and
can operate in a different DELL inspiron just fine. The problem here lies in
that as soon as I unplug the AC adapter on the latitude, while the battery
is in it, it dies as though it wasn't in it at all..

Any help??

Thanks guys

0
Juan
12/30/2003 7:48:01 PM
comp.laptops 2877 articles. 0 followers. bluewatercorvette (11) is leader. Post Follow

Juan wrote:

> I've looked in the BIOS and have noticed that the settings keep reverting to
> the factory defaults. This is a problems if the BIOS keeps reverting to a
> regular PS/2mouse when it should be looking for a touchpad first. I think my
> problem may lie here. I'm not sure though. Does the CMOS battery keep the
> BIOS alive? Or at least somehow make it reset?

If it is an old laptop and stores BIOS info in volatile memory (vs.
flash) you may need to replace a battery.

I've done that in some older Toshibas.  If you know the model number you
can generally find the batteries on line.  But you will also have to
find out where the battery is (in one I worked on it was under the
keyboard).

Phil

0
Phil
12/30/2003 10:32:43 PM
Whoa, easy big fella. Lotsa questions there.... first the BIOS. When you
change the BIOS, are you sure you're saving the changes? The choices can be
confusing, exit without saving, exit with saving, load defaults, etc., etc.
Just make double sure you are choosing the option to save the changes. If
that works, on to your other questions.

"Juan" <jvigiljr@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> I've looked in the BIOS and have noticed that the settings keep reverting
> the factory defaults. This is a problems if the BIOS keeps reverting to a
> regular PS/2mouse when it should be looking for a touchpad first. I think
my
> problem may lie here. I'm not sure though. Does the CMOS battery keep the
> BIOS alive?

0
Box134
12/31/2003 6:30:02 AM
Juan <jvigiljr@earthlink.net> wrote:

<SNIP>

Install a new CMOS (RTC) battery, should cure all your ills.

Regards,

James

0
JHEM

Getting program off of old laptop onto another old laptop..
I have a old Toshiba laptop 105CS, that is failing. I have a DOS program I need to transfer onto another 105CS and make a back up of it. The laptop only has a floppy drive and the program and data is much larger than a floppy. Any ideas on the best way to transfer these files? Thanks. On 24 Jan 2007 13:33:10 -0800, ephedralover@hotmail.com wrote: >I have a old Toshiba laptop 105CS, that is failing. I have a DOS >program I need to transfer onto another 105CS and make a back up of it. >The laptop only has a floppy drive and the program and data is much >larger than a floppy. Any i...

eSlate 450k Laptop Not Keeping Settings
I have an E-Machine eSlate 450k laptop that wont keep its settings, always returns to 00:00:00 01/01/1998 with all default settings. It is a pain to keep on resetting this each time I start up. Is there a battery that needs to be replaced or something and if so where can I get a new one and how do I replace it? I can not find any information from E-Machine and now that they have gone with someone else (Gateway I think?), I don't know where to go. Windows 98SE and all the programs seem to work just fine, once I have reset. > I have an E-Machine eSlate 450k laptop that wont keep its s...

Finder date settings keep reverting
In OSX (v10.2.6), I'm trying to change the Finder's display date from the normal US-style month/day/year to year-month-day, but after every restart the finder reverts to the US style. In the International prefpane the actual *settings* are still correct, but the preview box near the bottom is the same as the Finder's display. I've deleted the usual suspects from the preferences folder: ..GlobalPreferences.plist, com.apple.finder.plist, com.apple.HIToolbox.plist and com.apple.systempreferences.plist, but the problem remains. This only happens after a restart; logging out ...

Can update BIOS on old laptop?
Is there any way to update the BIOS on my five year old Compaq Presario 1825 laptop so that it will recognize a drive connected to the USB port and let me boot from it? The bios is updatable, but a bios that does what you want is very, very unlikely to exist (I do presume that you have obtained the latest bios from Compaq). Arvo wrote: > Is there any way to update the BIOS on my five year old Compaq Presario > 1825 laptop so that it will recognize a drive connected to the USB port > and let me boot from it? > Barry Watzman wrote: > The bios is updatable, but a bios that...

Old MINIX for old laptop
Hi, I'm wanting to set up a basic MINIX laptop, just for the sake of having one, and for the simplicity of the system, and was wondering if there are any WinImage or compatible images (not the archives with the contents of each disk in a folder) that I can extract onto floppies and put onto the laptop I have. I'm thinking MINIX 1 or 2 or somethiong like that. Are such images available/can they be made available? Thanks. Claude. On Dec 5, 4:54 am, Claude <marktu...@aol.com> wrote: > Hi, I'm wanting to set up a basic MINIX laptop, just for the sake of > having one, and ...

Wyse150 terminals revert to old settings at login
I have a client with about a dozen Wyse150 terminals. We need to set them up as Wyse150+ emulations with Enhanced=OFF in order to perform local printing without passing the output to the screen. Problem is, each time someone logs off and then logs back on, these two settings revert to Wyse150 and Enhanced=ON. What file in SCO or what lines in the termcap are causing this problem to reoccur? Your post isn't clear what values you're describing or what version of SCO. Some applications reset terminals so what the users do after logging in could be relevant, too. That said, it sounds l...

how to keep the old environment setting in the new terminal
Hi, I am using BASH on Linux. I usually issue "xterm" command to start a new terminal window, I find that the environment settings in the new window are different from the old one, it is because .bashrc is soured in the new window. I just wonder if there are some way to keep the setting same as the old, parent terminal? Thanks. ...

How to set two data sets but only keep variables in the first data set
Hi All, I have two data sets, each one has more than 200 variables (some of them are same, some are not). I wanna keep all variables of the first data set. How do I set two data sets but only keep those variables in the first data set? I cannot use keep= or drop= option since there are too many variables. Thanks a lot, Pooh Poohbear wrote: > Hi All, > > I have two data sets, each one has more than 200 variables (some of > them are same, some are not). I wanna keep all variables of the first > data set. > How do I set two data sets but only keep those variables in the fir...

how to keep the old environment setting in the new terminal #2
Hi, I am using BASH on Linux. I usually issue "xterm" command to start a new terminal window, I find that the environment settings in the new window are different from the old one, it is because .bashrc is soured in the new window. I just wonder if there are some way to keep the setting same as the old, parent terminal? Thanks. You answered your own question: Source .bashrc from .bash_profile On 2005-09-03, linq936@hotmail.com wrote: > Hi, > I am using BASH on Linux. I usually issue "xterm" command to start a > new terminal window, I find that the envi...

Re: Wyse150 terminals revert to old settings at login
--NextPart_Webmail_9m3u9jl4l_17074_1155576985_0 Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit I Have that book, it looks brand new. If anyone would like to buy it, make me an offer!! Thanks Brandt -------------- Original message -------------- From: bv@wjv.com (Bill Vermillion) > In article <1155572640.247805.59400@m79g2000cwm.googlegroups.com>, > lansman54 wrote: > >I have a client with about a dozen Wyse150 terminals. We need to set > >them up as Wyse150+ emulations with Enhanced=OFF in order to perform > >local printing without passing the...

how disable bios password once set in 4 yr old pavilion?
HP laptop, won't boot, corrupted system file, etc. Hitting F2 goes to bios, but the password screen launches. The owner does not recall setting a password and the one she uses for all her other things, doesn't work. So, how do you turn that off in a laptop so you can get to the bios? In a pc I know you can clear the bios with a jumper pin, but I have no idea how to proceed with a laptop. TIA mike If this is a desktop computer, you are in luck. Unplug from wall current, open up the chassis, remove the 3v C2032 battery for 5 minutes, reinstall the battery. When the system is bo...

Does anyone find the backlight setting of their iPod keeps reverting to 5 seconds? :-(
This keeps happening with my iPod Classic 80GB and has persisted through multiple restores. This happen to anyone else? TIA, Jamie Kahn Genet -- If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate. ...

[News] Reviving Old Laptop with Xubuntu Linux, Setting Up Power-efficient Server
Putting an old laptop to good use with Xubuntu ,----[ Quote ] | The story would be complete here. Old hardware, modern Linux, no money | spent. Isn't that what its all about? But there is more. I had a server | that was built out of spare parts that had at one time been used for | testing a new web server control panel. The testing was long over and | I had reconfigured the machine to act as a small file server for me. | I had gone as far as setting up a restricted access website for the | file server, allowing me to get files via http as well as FTP. The | power draw was around 85 watts...

A BIOS releated Question: how to set BIOS ?
I don't quite know where to post this better so I post here. Now I have a job that I have to get/set BIOS in Windows2000, just like what we can do when system is up.Since windows runs in protected mode, how to access BIOS memory and how to call BIOS function hold me back. Thank you very much. "cai" <aladdin_sh@asus.com.cn> wrote: >I don't quite know where to post this better so I post here. > >Now I have a job that I have to get/set BIOS in Windows2000, just like what >we can do when system is up.Since windows runs in protected mode, how to >access...

Web resources about - bios keeps reverting to old settings - comp.laptops

Help:Reverting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
On Wikipedia, reverting means undoing the effects of one or more edits, which normally results in the page being restored to a version that existed ...

Reverting the changes to block functionality
... want to introduce features at the cost of users feeling less safe. Any blocks you had previously instituted are still in effect. In reverting ...

Nepal rejects reverting back to a Hindu state
More than two-thirds of lawmakers vote to keep secular system brought in after fall of monarchy in 2008.

Betaworks Acquires Digg, John Borthwick Promises, ‘We Are Reverting Digg to a Startup’
... York's own Betaworks, to be combined with News.me . As for what to expect: Betaworks CEO John Borthwick told Betabeat by email, "We are reverting ...

"The closer I get to ship day, the calmer the voices are. I’m reverting. I’m getting colder."
"My feelings are being flushed with the frozen logic and the training, all the unfeeling cold judgment of the darkness... I will not lose this ...

Reverting to Drachma May Send Greek Currency at Least 40% Lower
Greece’s citizens would see a 40 percent drop in their purchasing power should the nation replace the euro with its erstwhile currency, according ...

Reverting file URL bug mishaps in Mountain Lion
If you are suffering from repercussions after testing the file URL bug in Mountain Lion, then there are several things you can do.

Instagram Responds To Backlash Over Selling Photos By Reverting To Old Terms Of Service
Instagram is sincerely asking you to chill out. Instagram has had quite a week since legions of disgruntled users voiced complaints over the ...

UK's Zone Horror Reverting to Its Horror Channel Name
... enough to have their own "Horror Channel", even if in 2006 it was rebranded as "Zone Horror". Now, though, it looks like they're reverting to ...

Thunderbolts Running Leaked Gingerbread Turning Into Bricks? Might Want to Consider Reverting Back to ...
Forget about the random reboot issues on the HTC Thunderbolt for a minute, we may have something that needs your immediate attention. While we ...