bios keeps reverting to old settings

Guys,

you folks have been so much help in the past. I thought I'd ask another
question. I am trying to fix up an old DELL latitude CP. I have already
formatted it and installed w98 SE. I have noticed that the touchpad mouse
doesnt work. Nor does the onboard battery charging system.

I've looked in the BIOS and have noticed that the settings keep reverting to
the factory defaults. This is a problems if the BIOS keeps reverting to a
regular PS/2mouse when it should be looking for a touchpad first. I think my
problem may lie here. I'm not sure though. Does the CMOS battery keep the
BIOS alive? Or at least somehow make it reset? Does anyone know the answer
to my touchpad not working? I know an external mouse works just fine.

What about my charging system? The battery that s in it can be taken out,
shows a full charge according to the LED "fuel" gauge thats built in, and
can operate in a different DELL inspiron just fine. The problem here lies in
that as soon as I unplug the AC adapter on the latitude, while the battery
is in it, it dies as though it wasn't in it at all..

Any help??

Thanks guys

0
Juan
12/30/2003 7:48:01 PM
comp.laptops 2877 articles. 0 followers. bluewatercorvette (11) is leader. Post Follow

Juan wrote:

> I've looked in the BIOS and have noticed that the settings keep reverting to
> the factory defaults. This is a problems if the BIOS keeps reverting to a
> regular PS/2mouse when it should be looking for a touchpad first. I think my
> problem may lie here. I'm not sure though. Does the CMOS battery keep the
> BIOS alive? Or at least somehow make it reset?

If it is an old laptop and stores BIOS info in volatile memory (vs.
flash) you may need to replace a battery.

I've done that in some older Toshibas.  If you know the model number you
can generally find the batteries on line.  But you will also have to
find out where the battery is (in one I worked on it was under the
keyboard).

Phil

0
Phil
12/30/2003 10:32:43 PM
Whoa, easy big fella. Lotsa questions there.... first the BIOS. When you
change the BIOS, are you sure you're saving the changes? The choices can be
confusing, exit without saving, exit with saving, load defaults, etc., etc.
Just make double sure you are choosing the option to save the changes. If
that works, on to your other questions.

"Juan" <jvigiljr@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> I've looked in the BIOS and have noticed that the settings keep reverting
> the factory defaults. This is a problems if the BIOS keeps reverting to a
> regular PS/2mouse when it should be looking for a touchpad first. I think
my
> problem may lie here. I'm not sure though. Does the CMOS battery keep the
> BIOS alive?

0
Box134
12/31/2003 6:30:02 AM
Juan <jvigiljr@earthlink.net> wrote:

<SNIP>

Install a new CMOS (RTC) battery, should cure all your ills.

Regards,

James

0
JHEM

i found this its old from 2003 but i need more help VB6 Statusbar
The below worked but i need this to work if i point my browser to say www.google.com but this seems to blank the page out, and in the case of the above URL errors. other websites it jkust blanks with a copy of the internal sHTML Can someone tell me how i can have this so i can browse any website and it tells me in the status bar just like I.E Thank you. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- On 9 Oct 2003, 13:23, "Antony Booth" <ant...@terian.co.uk> wrote: > If you are using a web control to preview, yo...

Archive and Purge of old records
A few questions 1)I have a filemaker system with a few files about to rollover 1 GB in size. Can anyone give me an overview of a process to archive and purge files that works for them? Even better would be scripting details/examples of how to do a "select" for the records with a "datestamp" field less than a given date and move them to an archive file. I thought about importing to clones serving as archive files and cutting away the current records in order to arrive at a backup? 2)Will speed really improve if I get rid of roughly 500 MB? Thanks in advance! Use a field ...

Can't set TCP_MAXSEG's value
Hi all, I am using Redhat9, and trying to change a tcp socket's maxseg. Here is part of my code: if((sockfd = socket(AF_INET, SOCK_STREAM, 0)) == -1){ perror(NULL); exit(-1); } int oldmaxseg = 0; int size = sizeof(oldmaxseg); if(getsockopt(sockfd, SOL_TCP, TCP_MAXSEG, &oldmaxseg, &size) == -1){ perror(NULL); exit(-1); } printf("oldmaxseg:%d size:%d\n", oldmaxseg, size); i...

US-TX-Austin: BIOS Eng., 4+yrs BIOS, C, Assemly, Phoenix BIOS, Design/dev.; Perm (45338032401)
US-TX-Austin: BIOS Eng., 4+yrs BIOS, C, Assemly, Phoenix BIOS, Design/dev.; Perm (45338032401) ============================================================================================== Position: BIOS Eng. Reference: SMC01889 Location: Austin TX Duration: Perm Skills: Degree in Computer Science or related field (or appropriate equivalent experience). 4+yrs of server BIOS design and development experience. 2+yrs of software design and development experience. Expert level knowledge of system BIOS. ...

Setting DNS Timeout settings
Hi. I have this problem on a Linux system. I have 2 DNS server entries on the system's network configuration, one of them is for a local server that isn't always running, and the other is for the Internet. But when that local server isn't running, the Internet connection slows down very badly, presumably due to a timeout delay. Is there any way to shorten that timeout delay? Is there a separate one for the web browser (Mozilla)? If so, how can I shorten that? This is a MIME GnuPG-signed message. If you see this text, it means that your E-mail or Usenet software does not support ...

Toshiba BIOS problem
I attempted to upgrade the BIOS on my Toshiba Satellite 2590 laptop after formatting C drive. Apparently there was some problem. Now I just get the Toshiba logo and cannot access the BIOS on startup or reinstall Windows from the boot disk, although command com loads. The initial problem was that the key strokes developed a hestiation, and start up and shut down was delayed. It was not remedied by wiping the disk and reinstalling windows. Assuming the BIOS has been damaged, is there a procedure for correcting it without opening the case? Trying to reload it via E12 has no effect. Thanks fo...

multi-result set MySQLdb queries.
Hi, I'm being forced to use "import MySQLdb" to access a server....and am not getting all my data back. I'm trying to send multiple queries all at once (for time reasons) and then extract the rows in bulk. The queries have different number of columns; For a contrived example; script.db.query( '(SELECT Id, password, sessionFlags FROM account WHERE Id=(SELECT Id FROM ident where email="%s")); (SELECT * FROM identify);' % (prefix) ) resultStore = (script.db.store_result()) result = resultStore.fetch_row( maxrows=10 ) result = str...

install the Old ata (7D) bug ITU patch
In which step in the installation I will install the Old ata (7D) bug ITU patch ? How can I use a single root "/" slice + swap for maximum flexibility ? What is the benefit of Martin Paul's PCA ? ...

Re: KEEP DROP array variables #5
This seems to work: data test; informat var1 var2 var3 var4 $2.; infile cards; input var1 var2 var3 var4; cards; AA BB BC DD DD CC DC AA ; run; %macro macrowrapper; %let keeplist= ; proc sql noprint; select max(varnum) into: varnum separated by " " from dictionary.columns where libname eq "WORK" and memname eq "TEST"; quit; %put &varnum; %do i=1 %to &varnum; proc sql noprint; select NAME into: VarList1 separated by " " from dictionary.columns where libname eq "WORK" a...

IP address keeps changing...help!
Hi all, I'm running a Linux box on my home network mainly for purposes of NAT / internet sharing. Everything works fine - eth0 goes to the LAN, with an IP of 192.168.0.1, and eth1 goes to the cable modem, with an external IP. I'm also running dhcpd on eth0, to give out IP addresses and such to computers on my local network. My problem is - every once in a while, it seems that eth0 will request an IP address from dhcpd, so it gets assigned an IP of, say, 192.168.0.254. Since the other computers have the default gateway set to 192.168.0.1, obviously all the computers lose their ...

Corrupt NTFS drive after BIOS flash
Greetings, I have a problem with a corrupt NTFS drive. It all started with a seemingly successful BIOS flash. I downloaded @BIOS, installed and flashed a new BIOS. After the flash was complete, I rebooted the system. I went into the BIOS setup and used the option to load the optimal settings and tweaked individual settings to my liking. I saved the BIOS and the computer rebooted. Now this is where the trouble started. The computer went through POST and started to boot up. It got as far as the graphical Windows XP startup screen with the blue progress bar. The bar got ...

Deleting Old Reports from Queues
I need to delete old reports generated by users from the system, and the only way i know of is to be deleting the reports one after the other from the queue, it's really boring. Can anyone here give me a coomand that can be used to delete all reports older than a particular day from a particular queue? It will surely make my day better! There is no command to do this, you have to use some of the Spool File APIs (QUSLSPL and QUSLSPLA) and User Space APIs (QUSCRTUS, QUSRTVUS, and QUSDLTUS) in conjunction with the DLTSPLF command. There are some examples of using some of these APIs (not f...

Laserjet 1320n
Hi, I have used the HP Laserjet toolbox (Device settings | Paper handling) to set the default printing mode of my HP Laserjet 1320n to "both sides" but when printing from any workstation on the network, the driver still defaults to single side printing. What did I miss? Thanks very much in advance. -- Patrick Philippot - Microsoft MVP MainSoft Consulting Services www.mainsoft.fr ...

trading old games
Someone on one of the comp.sys.pc.games.* groups recommended using Trade Games Now to trade in old games for others' games. I signed up recently and it seems like a great, free service. So far i haven't had any trades go through but it's far more appealing than eBay in my opinion. In order to compete with other sellers on eBay i have had to list games for $1.00 and then sell them at a barely higher price. That's not bad since ultimately i was just looking to find someone to give them to who would enjoy the games, but that $1.78 helps only a little towards buying that $10 ba...

HELP with 600X and otherwise simple Bios codes
I have a weird problem here. The 600X that sits in front of me behaves odd. NORMALLY, when 161 and 163 appear on boot-up, I just (until I replace the cmos batt) manually enter time and date, and keep working. Now, THIS weird thing behaves else: I click on "OK" upon 161 and 163 error but the screen shows me an arrow pointing towards the manual and I cant do anything else than shutting the machine down. Never encountered such a problem. Other than that: Is there a list-archive of this nice list? I was so far unable to locate one... Yours, Xo. ...

video bios failture..flashing bios
hello!! athlon1,4gh..radeon 8500..512mb ram I flashed bios of my r8500 (atiflash.exe) ...and my screen is full of mess at all resolutions and os...I flashed again from backup and it didn't help...I read somewhere that could be because I don't change VIDEO BIOS CACHEABLE ....but I can't find this option in my motherboard bios... Maybe you could help me..please.... Dippi ...

Anybody recognise this old laptop?
The link will take you to an eBay auction but I'm not the seller, I'm the winning bidder and the auction has closed already. I'd appreciate any clues as to what it is. Many thanks, Steve http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WIDSCREEN-NOTEBOOK-CLEARANCE_W0QQitemZ110122813542QQihZ001QQcategoryZ177QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem OK, the link bit didn't work, sorry about that. The eBay item number is 110122813542 Steve wrote: > The link will take you to an eBay auction but I'm not the seller, I'm > the winning bidder and the auction has closed already. I'd appreciate...

Re: Macro [ab]usage (was: (OT) old style macro is still working) #2 #13
Subject: Re: Macro [ab]usage (was: (OT) old style macro is still working) Summary: Design issues in avoiding macro Respondent: Ian_Whitlock@comcast.net Chang, Perhaps I am not fair to criticize here, since you did more or less what Quentin asked, but that doesn't stop me because fairness is not pertinent to a quest for understanding. In Quentin's words: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> In the rename case, assume there is a data set A, and certain variables should be renamed. ----- data a; x=1; y=2; z=3; run; *The foll...

Re: Getting Unique records from a data set
IN SAS SQL, select distinct DSnumber from DS ; will yield a single column of distinct values, while proc sort data=DS out=DSnew nodupkey; by DSnumber; run; will select only the first row of data that contains a distinct BY value. S -----Original Message----- From: owner-sas-l@listserv.uga.edu [mailto:owner-sas-l@listserv.uga.edu] On Behalf Of cjt22@bath.ac.uk Sent: Monday, September 24, 2007 6:35 AM To: sas-l@uga.edu Subject: Getting Unique records from a data set Hi there I have a column within my data set (DSnumber) which has the same number for multiple records and then a new num...

Bios update
I'm updating to the Amazon 3.11 Bios for HP Pavilion 7955. I create a boot disk with the changes on it and reboot. It's supposed to give me an option of "minimal boot" according to the instructions, but just goes straight to the A;> prompt. Then when I type in BIOSupdt it appears to run but aborts with the error message "cannot find BIOS's hook" I can't find anything about this error message on HP's website. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks George ...

setting coords on pcolor map
I have a 3-dimensional matrix (M x N x O) and the first two columns contain the coordinates. i use the pcolor function and then i want to replace the registered numbers with the coords from the matrix. thnx. ...

Generating a randon meaningless set of numbers
I have a flooring business that I am designing a software solution. They have a Poducts table that has a unit price field. I want to create a separate field and populate it with a maybe the date entered (another field) then the price and then 6 or 8 meaningless numbers that are randomly generated for the purpose of labels that will be visable to the clients. I may put the unit price (not using the decimal) somewhere near the end. It's imaterial where it goes in the string of numbers just as long as it's consistant. Any ideas? TIA Jeff Jeff R wrote: > I ha...

[News] System 76 Collects Old PCs for GNU/Linux Afterlife, Dell Disappoints

Brother HL-2140 & "toner saver" setting, etc.
I have a brand new Brother HL 2140 b/w laser printer. I=92ll use it for text only. It seems to print fine, and I like the nice crisp appearance of text. The default settings give a nice contrasty print of text. Very black on the white paper. To save toner, I have tried to use =93toner saving=94 settings. Using both the =93toner saver=94 setting, and also the least =93printer density= =94 setting, I can see no difference. This at 600 dpi setting. No discernable difference between the default setting, and my 2 non- default =93saver=94 settings. The text print-out appears ...

Filtering out data set
Hi, I'm doing some data analysis, I have a n x 3 matrix A consisting of integers. These are xyz coordinates so each row is a point. Then I have another n x 3 matrix B consisting of integers as the filter. I want to check the points in matrix A against matrix B and output into a n x 1 matrix of logic 0 and 1s. What ways can I do this? This is part of the larger program, so i'm trying to avoid for loops and if conditions to optimize the speed. Any suggestions? Thank you. ...