bios keeps reverting to old settings

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Guys,

you folks have been so much help in the past. I thought I'd ask another
question. I am trying to fix up an old DELL latitude CP. I have already
formatted it and installed w98 SE. I have noticed that the touchpad mouse
doesnt work. Nor does the onboard battery charging system.

I've looked in the BIOS and have noticed that the settings keep reverting to
the factory defaults. This is a problems if the BIOS keeps reverting to a
regular PS/2mouse when it should be looking for a touchpad first. I think my
problem may lie here. I'm not sure though. Does the CMOS battery keep the
BIOS alive? Or at least somehow make it reset? Does anyone know the answer
to my touchpad not working? I know an external mouse works just fine.

What about my charging system? The battery that s in it can be taken out,
shows a full charge according to the LED "fuel" gauge thats built in, and
can operate in a different DELL inspiron just fine. The problem here lies in
that as soon as I unplug the AC adapter on the latitude, while the battery
is in it, it dies as though it wasn't in it at all..

Any help??

Thanks guys

0
Reply Juan 12/30/2003 7:48:01 PM

See related articles to this posting

Juan wrote:

> I've looked in the BIOS and have noticed that the settings keep reverting to
> the factory defaults. This is a problems if the BIOS keeps reverting to a
> regular PS/2mouse when it should be looking for a touchpad first. I think my
> problem may lie here. I'm not sure though. Does the CMOS battery keep the
> BIOS alive? Or at least somehow make it reset?

If it is an old laptop and stores BIOS info in volatile memory (vs.
flash) you may need to replace a battery.

I've done that in some older Toshibas.  If you know the model number you
can generally find the batteries on line.  But you will also have to
find out where the battery is (in one I worked on it was under the
keyboard).

Phil

0
Reply Phil 12/30/2003 10:32:43 PM

Whoa, easy big fella. Lotsa questions there.... first the BIOS. When you
change the BIOS, are you sure you're saving the changes? The choices can be
confusing, exit without saving, exit with saving, load defaults, etc., etc.
Just make double sure you are choosing the option to save the changes. If
that works, on to your other questions.

"Juan" <jvigiljr@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> I've looked in the BIOS and have noticed that the settings keep reverting
> the factory defaults. This is a problems if the BIOS keeps reverting to a
> regular PS/2mouse when it should be looking for a touchpad first. I think
my
> problem may lie here. I'm not sure though. Does the CMOS battery keep the
> BIOS alive?

0
Reply Box134 12/31/2003 6:30:02 AM

Juan <jvigiljr@earthlink.net> wrote:

<SNIP>

Install a new CMOS (RTC) battery, should cure all your ills.

Regards,

James

0
Reply JHEM 12/31/2003 6:40:23 PM
comp.laptops 2876 articles. 5 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Finder date settings keep reverting
In OSX (v10.2.6), I'm trying to change the Finder's display date from the normal US-style month/day/year to year-month-day, but after every restart the finder reverts to the US style. In the International prefpane the actual *settings* are still correct, but the preview box near the bottom is the same as the Finder's display. I've deleted the usual suspects from the preferences folder: ..GlobalPreferences.plist, com.apple.finder.plist, com.apple.HIToolbox.plist and com.apple.systempreferences.plist, but the problem remains. This only happens after a restart; logging out ...

how to keep the old environment setting in the new terminal
Hi, I am using BASH on Linux. I usually issue "xterm" command to start a new terminal window, I find that the environment settings in the new window are different from the old one, it is because .bashrc is soured in the new window. I just wonder if there are some way to keep the setting same as the old, parent terminal? Thanks. ...

Wyse150 terminals revert to old settings at login
I have a client with about a dozen Wyse150 terminals. We need to set them up as Wyse150+ emulations with Enhanced=OFF in order to perform local printing without passing the output to the screen. Problem is, each time someone logs off and then logs back on, these two settings revert to Wyse150 and Enhanced=ON. What file in SCO or what lines in the termcap are causing this problem to reoccur? Your post isn't clear what values you're describing or what version of SCO. Some applications reset terminals so what the users do after logging in could be relevant, too. That said, it sounds l...

How to set two data sets but only keep variables in the first data set
Hi All, I have two data sets, each one has more than 200 variables (some of them are same, some are not). I wanna keep all variables of the first data set. How do I set two data sets but only keep those variables in the first data set? I cannot use keep= or drop= option since there are too many variables. Thanks a lot, Pooh Poohbear wrote: > Hi All, > > I have two data sets, each one has more than 200 variables (some of > them are same, some are not). I wanna keep all variables of the first > data set. > How do I set two data sets but only keep those variables in the fir...

how to keep the old environment setting in the new terminal #2
Hi, I am using BASH on Linux. I usually issue "xterm" command to start a new terminal window, I find that the environment settings in the new window are different from the old one, it is because .bashrc is soured in the new window. I just wonder if there are some way to keep the setting same as the old, parent terminal? Thanks. You answered your own question: Source .bashrc from .bash_profile On 2005-09-03, linq936@hotmail.com wrote: > Hi, > I am using BASH on Linux. I usually issue "xterm" command to start a > new terminal window, I find that the envi...

Re: Wyse150 terminals revert to old settings at login
--NextPart_Webmail_9m3u9jl4l_17074_1155576985_0 Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit I Have that book, it looks brand new. If anyone would like to buy it, make me an offer!! Thanks Brandt -------------- Original message -------------- From: bv@wjv.com (Bill Vermillion) > In article <1155572640.247805.59400@m79g2000cwm.googlegroups.com>, > lansman54 wrote: > >I have a client with about a dozen Wyse150 terminals. We need to set > >them up as Wyse150+ emulations with Enhanced=OFF in order to perform > >local printing without passing the...

how disable bios password once set in 4 yr old pavilion?
HP laptop, won't boot, corrupted system file, etc. Hitting F2 goes to bios, but the password screen launches. The owner does not recall setting a password and the one she uses for all her other things, doesn't work. So, how do you turn that off in a laptop so you can get to the bios? In a pc I know you can clear the bios with a jumper pin, but I have no idea how to proceed with a laptop. TIA mike If this is a desktop computer, you are in luck. Unplug from wall current, open up the chassis, remove the 3v C2032 battery for 5 minutes, reinstall the battery. When the system is bo...

Does anyone find the backlight setting of their iPod keeps reverting to 5 seconds? :-(
This keeps happening with my iPod Classic 80GB and has persisted through multiple restores. This happen to anyone else? TIA, Jamie Kahn Genet -- If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate. ...

A BIOS releated Question: how to set BIOS ?
I don't quite know where to post this better so I post here. Now I have a job that I have to get/set BIOS in Windows2000, just like what we can do when system is up.Since windows runs in protected mode, how to access BIOS memory and how to call BIOS function hold me back. Thank you very much. "cai" <aladdin_sh@asus.com.cn> wrote: >I don't quite know where to post this better so I post here. > >Now I have a job that I have to get/set BIOS in Windows2000, just like what >we can do when system is up.Since windows runs in protected mode, how to >access...

Library Name or Path in Call Library Function keeps reverting back to old dll
Hi. &nbsp; When using the Call Library Function Node, I find that when I change the Library Name or Path to a newer version of the DLL being called (in a different folder), it keeps reverting back to the previous path. I can't find a way around this. &nbsp; To clarify, I have tried opening Labview (7.1 incidentally) with the code that contains the Call Library Function node, deleting the existing node, saving the vi and then shutting Labview down completely. I then re-open the vi, place a new Call Library Function Node into the vi, and set its Path to the new DLL I require. After m...

Algorithm to combine or-sets of and-sets, where each element of an and-set is an or-set of and-sets
As part of an abduction procedure, see http://code.google.com/p/biohacker/source/browse/trunk/BPS/ltms/abduction.lisp if interested, I need to efficiently solve the following problem: Given an or-set of and-sets, for example, (:OR (:AND A B C) (:AND D E A)) and given a dictionary, where each element of an and-set is listed, with another or-set of and-sets as value, for example, A -> (:OR (:AND 1 2) (:AND 3 4)) B -> (:OR (:AND 2 3) (:AND 4)) C -> (:OR (:AND 1) (:AND 3)) D -> (:OR (:AND 1) (:AND 3 4)) E -> (:OR (:AND 1 2) (:AND 3)) find a new minimal or-set of and-set consistent,...

Old sendmail processes are keeping the old inodes
Hi comp.mail.sendmail community, On our production environment, we got into the situation when the disk space usage become filling up to 90-100% on root partition on the server responsible for relaying the mail. Of course we took the measures to report such behavior and are restarting sendmail to free the inodes up and avoid the disk usage issue. However, it is not a solution to restart the sendmail each time, when the disk usage goes up to 90-100%. Also as an alternative we looked into such dirty workarounds as root partition increasing and RequiresDirFsync option in sendmail.cf, while see...

old old old GCCs
Hey guys, look what I found: http://gcc-uk.internet.bs/old-releases/gcc-1/ gcc-1.21.tar.bz2 01-May-1988 01:00 852K gcc-1.37.1.tar.bz2 21-Feb-1990 05:27 1.3M gcc-1.42.tar.bz2 20-Sep-1992 07:03 1.3M (etc. etc. etc.) :-)) ...

More of the same old same old
http://reuters.myway.com/article/20050815/2005-08-15T184812Z_01_SCH567646 _RTRIDST_0_NEWS-MICROSOFT-WORM-DC.html Don't Windows users ever get tired of this? -- "There are no significant bugs in our released software that any significant number of users want fixed." Bill Gates Source: Focus Magazine, nr.43, pages 206-212, (October 23, 1995) In article <lije-215299.19261615082005@newsclstr01.news.prodigy.com>, Elijah Baley <lije@foundation.org> wrote: > http://reuters.myway.com/article/20050815/2005-08-15T184812Z_01_SCH567646 > _RTRIDST_0_NEWS-MICROSOFT-WOR...

Set of sets
Is there a Latex (or indeed a mathematical) symbol for 'the set of sets'? Cheers. On Jun 19, 10:43=A0am, "Axis" <zedc...@hotmail.co.uk> wrote: > Is there a Latex (or indeed a mathematical) symbol for 'the set of sets'? > > Cheers. I'm not sure what you mean. I'd write something like B=3D\{A_1,\ldots,A_T\} "Joris" <pinkse@gmail.com> wrote in message news:583b3c5c-a019-4be7-a936-876f06160b05@l28g2000vba.googlegroups.com... On Jun 19, 10:43 am, "Axis" <zedc...@hotmail.co.uk> wrote: > Is there a Latex (...

Same Old, same Old
I've been away from this group for a couple of months, and see the same hooey produced by the same perpetrators, just with new victims. Someone is trying to carry on a conversation with Zick, and is being insulted for his pains. The usual suspects are talking past each other about consciousness. Other people are confused about what they mean by truth. The AI guys still haven't agreed on what they are actually trying to do, and sometimes get quite testy with other. And so on. Sadly, the level of wit (both deliberate and unwitting) has declined. Sigh. Wolf Kirchmeir wrote: > ...

Re: How to set two data sets but only keep variables in the first
PoohBear , I normally use a macro I have worked up that finds the unique values between teh two data sets and does the keep or drop that I want. Since you state you dont ant to do this then one must break with good convention and use bad form. Data Need ; Set Two One ; By XXX ; Run ; The variable values from data set one will overwrite any variable with the same name in data set two. Toby Dunn When everything is coming at you all at once, your in the wrong lane. A truly happy person is someone who can smile and enjoy the scenery on a detour. From: Poohbear <liuberyl@GMAI...

set of sets
I thought rewriting __hash__ should be enough to avoid mutables problem but: class H(set): def __hash__(self) return id(self) s=H() f=set() f.add(s) f.remove(s) the add succeeds the remove fails eventually not calling hash(s). Thanks for help Paolino ___________________________________ Yahoo! Mail: gratis 1GB per i messaggi e allegati da 10MB http://mail.yahoo.it Paolino wrote: > I thought rewriting __hash__ should be enough to avoid mutables problem > but: > > class H(set): > def __hash__(self) > return id(self) > > s=H() > >...

Setting and more Settings
I have a Epson 4990 and a spyder2 express. The Epson twain configuration allows me to set color control in one of three ways 1. continuous auto exposure. on this option you must set a gamma value from 1.0 to 3.0 (in 0.1 increments) 2. ICM With a source and a target. The source is locked as (EPSON standard) The target has a choice of monitorRGB or sRGB 3. No color correction What would be the best choice for the above options ? Also, given the fact that I am using the spyder2 to load Monitor calibration settings into my video card at windows ...

sets of sets
I'm trying to read a recent paper I found at http://csr.uvic.ca/~vanemden/Publications/STPCS.pdf (The description intrigued me because the author is exploring RT. I'll try to contact the author with my question, but I thought I'd mention it here as others may be interested.) Anyway, at the top of page 5, he defines something I can only call "UNION S" (since I don't know know how to type the set union operator symbol). Can anybody suggest whether I'm reading it right? What I think it says in prose is "the set of x such that x is a member...

settings; BIOS
Hi all, I want to change the settings that control automatic turning of the disk and monitor etc after x hours idle. I have set these years ago but can't find back how to change back. I have looked in >settings >configuration> display and elsewhere, but niente. 'Do it via BIOS' is what they tell me, but: How do I access the BIOS of NT 4.0? Thanks in advance simon -- I love fools' experiments. I am always making them. Charles Darwin You cannot access the BIOS via Windows. Check your PC manual - it probably tells you to press the Del key dur...

Re: How to set two data sets but only keep variables in the first #2
> From: Poohbear > I have two data sets, each one has more than 200 variables > (some of them are same, some are not). I wanna keep all > variables of the first data set. > How do I set two data sets but only keep those variables in > the first data set? I cannot use keep= or drop= option since > there are too many variables. you probably want to examine your question which we read as: How can I do action X and not use the (only) tools available to do action X? Ron Fehd the macro maven CDC Atlanta GA USA RJF2 at cdc dot gov ...

How keep python socket alive for ever by setting Keep alive flag.
Hi All, I want to open a socket connection and keep it alive for ever or until i explicitly close the socket connection. below is my code though i have set keep alive flag the socket gets closed after some time .please help me out here sb_sock = socket.socket(socket.AF_INET, socket.SOCK_STREAM,socket.SOL_TCP) sb_sock.setsockopt( socket.SOL_SOCKET, socket.SO_KEEPALIVE, 1) sb_sock.connect((msg_host, host_port)) sb_sock.send(reg_msg) http://www.unixguide.net/network/socketfaq/4.7.shtml It's better to add the ability to recreate...

Re: How to set two data sets but only keep variables in the first #3
On my system (9.1.3), need ends up with all the variables in one and all the variables in two, including the ones that are unique to either. No variables are overwritten since each observation from two is processed and then each observation from one and need ends up with the sum of both. Did you mean set two; set one; What does the by do? -----Original Message----- From: toby dunn [mailto:tobydunn@HOTMAIL.COM] Sent: Thursday, September 07, 2006 9:54 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: How to set two data sets but only keep variables in the first data set PoohBear , ...