Breathe new life into an older notebook with a few upgrades?

	Article titled "Punch Up Your Portable" in the Oct '04 edition
of Computer Shopper pages 142-144 (if you can find a newer article on
this topic I'd appreciate it), they talk about how to replace your
hard drive, ram, & CPU w/ step by step instructions.

	I thought for most laptops, you couldn't upgrade a processor.
Or is it you can, but it isn't really worth it?

===
     	"Computers make it easier to do a lot of things, but most of the things they make it easier to do don't need to be done."
               -- Andy Rooney
Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 140,000 groups
Unlimited download
Ablang
1/9/2006 3:22:30 AM
comp.laptops 2877 articles. 5 followers. bluewatercorvette (11) is leader. Post Follow

"Ablang" <HilaryDuff111905@ablang-duff.com> wrote in message
> Article titled "Punch Up Your Portable" in the Oct '04 edition
> of Computer Shopper pages 142-144 (if you can find a newer article on
> this topic I'd appreciate it), they talk about how to replace your
> hard drive, ram, & CPU w/ step by step instructions.
>
> I thought for most laptops, you couldn't upgrade a processor.
> Or is it you can, but it isn't really worth it?
>
> ===
>     "Computers make it easier to do a lot of things, but most of the
> things they make it easier to do don't need to be done."
>               -- Andy Rooney
> Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
> More than 140,000 groups
> Unlimited download
> http://www.usenetzone.com to open account

Upgrading laptops is usually not cost effective.  By the time you buy a new
hard drive, more RAM and a CPU, you could be buying a new unit entirely.

0
Kevin
1/9/2006 4:56:29 AM
Sometimes you can replace the CPU.  Most of the modern laptops have
socketed CPUs, but quite often the BIOS is locked down, for example I
was unable to replace a Celeron with a P4 (same family, stepping, speed,
etc.) in a Toshiba 1410/1415 even though the same machine was sold with
a P4 as the 2410/2415.

Ablang wrote:

> 	Article titled "Punch Up Your Portable" in the Oct '04 edition
> of Computer Shopper pages 142-144 (if you can find a newer article on
> this topic I'd appreciate it), they talk about how to replace your
> hard drive, ram, & CPU w/ step by step instructions.
>
> 	I thought for most laptops, you couldn't upgrade a processor.
> Or is it you can, but it isn't really worth it?
>
> ===
>      	"Computers make it easier to do a lot of things, but most of the things they make it easier to do don't need to be done."
>                -- Andy Rooney
> Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
> More than 140,000 groups
> Unlimited download
> http://www.usenetzone.com to open account
0
Barry
1/9/2006 10:34:03 AM
On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 10:34:03 GMT, Barry Watzman <WatzmanNOSPAM@neo.rr.com>
spewed:
>Sometimes you can replace the CPU.  Most of the modern laptops have
>socketed CPUs, but quite often the BIOS is locked down, for example I
>was unable to replace a Celeron with a P4 (same family, stepping, speed,
>etc.) in a Toshiba 1410/1415 even though the same machine was sold with
>a P4 as the 2410/2415.

Really?!
I too was under the impression that CPU's couldn't be upgraded, nor BIOS.
Many times RAM can't be either due to the BIOS or too few slots.
I have a very old Dell Latitude XPi P133 ST that I have been dying to
upgrade for years.  It's the only model ever made with an OPTICAL
trackball in the RIGHT.  There was a 166, but that's hardly worth finding.
Currently there is NO new laptop made with a trackball, or keyboard of any
kind for that matter with an optical or having it in the right place below
the spacebar.
If I could bump that thing's CPU up even just a little, or much more
importantly upgrade the RAM, it'd be great little typer to have.
Unfortunately, everything I've found out says the RAM is limited to 40MB
due to slots and BIOS.
If anybody knows of a 3rd party BIOS upgrade for the thing, I'd love to
hear about it!  Dell never made an upgrade to fix it, just put out the
166, then revamped the line without the trackball or nice keyboard key
travel.  Regress in the name of progress.  So nice of them :(

>Ablang wrote:
>
>> 	Article titled "Punch Up Your Portable" in the Oct '04 edition
>> of Computer Shopper pages 142-144 (if you can find a newer article on
>> this topic I'd appreciate it), they talk about how to replace your
>> hard drive, ram, & CPU w/ step by step instructions.
>>
>> 	I thought for most laptops, you couldn't upgrade a processor.
>> Or is it you can, but it isn't really worth it?
>>
>> ===
>>      	"Computers make it easier to do a lot of things, but most of the things they make it easier to do don't need to be done."
>>                -- Andy Rooney
>> Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
>> More than 140,000 groups
>> Unlimited download
>> http://www.usenetzone.com to open account

The BIOS can always be upgraded, which, however, does not mean that an
upgrade is available.

Almost all current generation laptops have socketed CPUs and have for
several years.  The laptop makers can keep the system kind of "open" to
upgrades (within limits), or they can, through jumpers and the BIOS,
"lock it down".

Ram can almost always be upgraded up to some maximum which is usually a
function of the chipset, not the laptop.

Most of the Pentium I laptops had the CPU soldered to the motherboard
("tab bonded") and cannot be upgraded, but from about the Pentium II
onward, most laptops either use a replaceable CPU module or a socketed CPU.

see.my.sig.4.addr@nowhere.com.invalid wrote:

> On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 10:34:03 GMT, Barry Watzman <WatzmanNOSPAM@neo.rr.com>
> spewed:
>
>>Sometimes you can replace the CPU.  Most of the modern laptops have
>>socketed CPUs, but quite often the BIOS is locked down, for example I
>>was unable to replace a Celeron with a P4 (same family, stepping, speed,
>>etc.) in a Toshiba 1410/1415 even though the same machine was sold with
>>a P4 as the 2410/2415.
>>

> Really?!
> I too was under the impression that CPU's couldn't be upgraded, nor BIOS.
> Many times RAM can't be either due to the BIOS or too few slots.
> I have a very old Dell Latitude XPi P133 ST that I have been dying to
> upgrade for years.  It's the only model ever made with an OPTICAL
> trackball in the RIGHT.  There was a 166, but that's hardly worth finding.
> Currently there is NO new laptop made with a trackball, or keyboard of any
> kind for that matter with an optical or having it in the right place below
> the spacebar.
> If I could bump that thing's CPU up even just a little, or much more
> importantly upgrade the RAM, it'd be great little typer to have.
> Unfortunately, everything I've found out says the RAM is limited to 40MB
> due to slots and BIOS.
> If anybody knows of a 3rd party BIOS upgrade for the thing, I'd love to
> hear about it!  Dell never made an upgrade to fix it, just put out the
> 166, then revamped the line without the trackball or nice keyboard key
> travel.  Regress in the name of progress.  So nice of them :(
>

>>Ablang wrote:
>>

>>>	Article titled "Punch Up Your Portable" in the Oct '04 edition
>>>of Computer Shopper pages 142-144 (if you can find a newer article on
>>>this topic I'd appreciate it), they talk about how to replace your
>>>hard drive, ram, & CPU w/ step by step instructions.
>>>
>>>	I thought for most laptops, you couldn't upgrade a processor.
>>>Or is it you can, but it isn't really worth it?
>>>
>>>===
>>>     	"Computers make it easier to do a lot of things, but most of the things they make it easier to do don't need to be done."
>>>               -- Andy Rooney
>>>_________________________________________
>>>Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
>>>More than 140,000 groups
>>>Unlimited download
>>>http://www.usenetzone.com to open account

0
WatzmanNOSPAM (5711)
1/11/2006 12:54:51 AM
On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 00:54:51 GMT, Barry Watzman
<WatzmanNOSPAM@neo.rr.com> wrote:

>Most of the Pentium I laptops had the CPU soldered to the motherboard
>("tab bonded") and cannot be upgraded, but from about the Pentium II
>onward, most laptops either use a replaceable CPU module or a socketed CPU.

	Except! Most subnotebooks (as we recently discussed in another
thread) are surface mounted. The socketed CPUs stand a few mm taller
than a surface mount, and in this day of slim, small subnotebooks,
every millimeter counts. My IBM TransNote and the IBM X series are
soldered to the motherboard.
	It should also be noted that CPUs can be upgraded only within their
chip generation with compatible processors; you can't go from a
Pentium MMX to a Pentium 4. I mention this because the previous reply
mentioned having a Dell at 133Mhz with the fastest version of the
model running at 166Mhz. Odds are, that is the fastest that model will
go.
	epbrown
--
2003 BMW 325i Black/Black
2003 BMW Z4 Black/Black
>>Most of the Pentium I laptops had the CPU soldered to the motherboard
>>("tab bonded") and cannot be upgraded, but from about the Pentium II
>>onward, most laptops either use a replaceable CPU module or a socketed CPU.
>
>	Except! Most subnotebooks (as we recently discussed in another
>thread) are surface mounted. The socketed CPUs stand a few mm taller
>than a surface mount, and in this day of slim, small subnotebooks,
>every millimeter counts. My IBM TransNote and the IBM X series are
>soldered to the motherboard.
>	It should also be noted that CPUs can be upgraded only within their
>chip generation with compatible processors; you can't go from a
>Pentium MMX to a Pentium 4. I mention this because the previous reply
>mentioned having a Dell at 133Mhz with the fastest version of the
>model running at 166Mhz. Odds are, that is the fastest that model will
>go.
>	epbrown

Ya, I agree, probably SOL on the CPU upgrade.
What I'm really hoping for is a BIOS upgrade that'll allow more RAM,
unless it is soley a chipset issue, in which case I'm screwed on that too
:(
AFAIK, Dell did NOT ever make one.
I have never found one from any other source either.
BUT, that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
So, who out there is my savior?  Bueller?  Bueller?  Anybody? :)

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 04:06:24 -0800,
see.my.sig.4.addr@nowhere.com.invalid wrote:

>Ya, I agree, probably SOL on the CPU upgrade.
>What I'm really hoping for is a BIOS upgrade that'll allow more RAM,
>unless it is soley a chipset issue, in which case I'm screwed on that too
>:(

	It's a solely a chipset issue, but that's usually not the whole
story. Chipsets are usually limited to some factor of 64 (128, 256,
512...). Manufacturers always include some RAM on the motherboard and
that throws things off. In your case, you wrote that the limit is
40MB. Most likely, the real hardware limit is 64MB but you've got 8MB
on the board and you added 32MB. If there were nothing on the board,
you could add a 64MB chip to max out. If you could disable the onboard
RAM, you'd get access to your full capacity.
	There are tricks. I know someone that used a utility knife to cut
the RAM off the board to disable it and added his max to the slot. On
some Sony's the original RAM is in a slot on the bottom of the
motherboard - remove the board, flip it over, take out the old chip
and you've got a free slot. In my 701C, simply installing a 64MB chip
disables the onboard RAM so I can use the full 64MB capacity.
	epbrown
--
2003 BMW 325i Black/Black
2003 BMW Z4 Black/Black

Can I make ISE 9.2 ngdbuild stop generating new PERIOD specs on PLL outputs?
My Virtex5 design has a clock from an input pin going to a PLL that generates several clocks at different frequencies. My design treats these as asynchronous clocks, so I don't want the ISE timing analyzer to work on timing for the registers that cross clock domains. I can write the timespecs as unrelated in my ucf, but ngdbuild always traces the input clock into the PLL, and generates additional constraints for the PLL output clocks that are all related. So timing analyzer reports timing violations on my clock domain crossings. In the past, I have put a TIG on every register that cros...

new to vhdl #2
Hello All, Im learning vhdl since the past 2 days and I have attempted to make a 4x4 RAM module. When I simulate the code, there are certain aspects of the simulation that I dont understand and I could do with some help. My questions are the following: 1. Currently, in my code once i set the we(write_enable) or the re(read_enable) on I dont turn it off. the reason being, if i set them to 0 after the read/write operation, I dont see the desired data. So the we/re remains on even after the operation is complete. how to avoid this? 2. In cycles 45 -55 ns, I get undefined value in dout, after 5...

HP beats IBM in new cluster Total Cost of Ownership comparison study
HP beats IBM in new TCO comparison study by Marc Courchesne "...HP OpenVMS/AlphaServer clusters are more cost effective to manage than IBM AIX/HACMP pSeries clusters because the HP clusters are more stable and require fewer resources to maintain." This is the conclusion reached in a new white paper on total cost of ownership (TCO) by TechWise Research Inc. entitled, "Are Some RISC-Based Clusters Easier to Manage Than Others?" http://h71000.www7.hp.com/openvms/whitepapers/sm_whitepaper.pdf Keith Parris wrote: > HP beats IBM in new TCO comparison study > by Marc Cour...

create a new record from a portal
FMP 9 I am trying to create a new record from a portal in my main table "Brief" The portal creates and stores "QuoteRequests" which are sent to many suppliers this table holds the BriefNo and creates a RequestNo When the client decides who wins the Order I have set a button to take the BriefNo and RequestNo over to the "PurchaseOrder" table and place it in a new record. I have the other fields set to look up the details based on a relationship of BriefNo AND QuoteNo This is my script which does not bring the put the BriefNo or RequestNo over, I also tried cop...

Allowing textbox to 'breathe' during long operation
Hello, This must be a newbie question. In my app, I need to do something that lasts for several seconds. I'd like to be able to pop messages out to a textbox every so often, and have the display show them. At the moment, it waits until the whole thing has finished. I realise this must be obvious, but how do I instruct the application to 'breathe' and process other events? All the best, Roger Pearse Try wxBusyInfo, it might do what you want :) Roger Pearse wrote: > Hello, > > This must be a newbie question. In my app, I need to do something &g...

New Website
Hi This website can help you to find any links you want: http://www.lxlinks.cjb.net Enjoy On 03/10/2005 10:31 AM, death boy wrote: > This website can help you to find any links you want: > http://www.lxlinks.cjb.net Sorry, this site is broken. I could not find the following: - Golf links - Cuff-links - The text browser, Lynx - Chain links All I found was a silly website. No links at all! In article <1128349884.898634.127300@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, "death boy" <deathboy.86@gmail.com> wrote: > From: "death boy" <deathboy.86@gmail.com&g...

[News] The EFF Finds New, Borader Coalition Against the ACTA Conspiracy

A New Record For Scam/Spam ?
Tuesday night, I got buried -- literally -- in PayPal spoofs. 15 of them in a thirty minute period ... I am accustomed to receiving spam and scam at all hours of the day and night, but fifteen various ones dealing with PayPal over thirty minutes is some kind of a new record for me. All have been forwarded to spoof@paypal.com of course ... In addition, there were a few (but not fifteen!) spoofs on e-Bay sent to me in the same time period, and a couple of Bank of America things. Ah, the net! What a cesspool it has become, but I said that once already, maybe ten years ago. PAT ...

A new reader? Welcome to comp.os.linux.setup, read this first if you're new here (FAQ) #335
Netiquette 2006-04#1 New reader? Great! Welcome! Here's how to make best use of this newsgroup and get yourself a slice of the best help available. Now read on ... TESTING YOUR CONNECTION Errm, first a delicate point. Often users accessing a forum like this for the first time don't realize that posts don't show up immediately, certainly not for several minutes, and maybe not for some hours. In the old days, it took as long as the camel bearing the news took! So they tend to post "test" ...

Defining new enumerate environments
Hi all, Is there any way I can define new environments based on enumerate environment? Because I need to certain enumerate env.s to have alphabets as item numbers while others to have arabic numerals...is there any way I can *inherit* the characteristics of enumerate and just change the enumi variable alone ? Ex: \begin{alphenum} A. Item 1 B. Item 2 \end{alphenum} \begin{arabicenum} 1. Item 1 2. Item 2 \end{arabicenum} Thanks Murali Muralidhar schreef: > Hi all, > > Is there any way I can define new environments based on enumerate > environment? > > Because I need ...

new on mozilla
Hello, I generally use the IE (version 6.0). I would like some opinions on mozilla browser, please. I have heard that it is good for validating my code (javascript etc.), when IE doesn't. I would like some link about Mozilla browser, please. Thanks :) "Mr. x" <a@b.com> writes: > I generally use the IE (version 6.0). > I would like some opinions on mozilla browser, please. Good, solid browser. Very good standards support, as opposed to IE. > I have heard that it is good for validating my code (javascript > etc.), when IE doesn't. Hardly, it is not a v...

Toronto: NEW PROJECTS: Major P&C Insurer Adding NEW STAFF
Ref: 11724 Major Property and Casualty Insurer seeks additional staff for new projects. (undisclosed at this time). - Business Analysts - Developers - QA Analysts Property & Casualty insurance experience is mandatory - intermediate to Senior level skills. Technical environment includes OS 390 CICS, COBOL, DB2 Ability to program is required for all positions. Permanent fulltime to $72k base plus bonus and package Contractors will also be considered. Downtown Toronto location Please quote reference number when responding. Resumes as attachments ...

Upgrading Oracle 8.1.7.2 to 8.1.7.4
Can somebody help me with the processof upgrading the Oracle Database server from 8.1.7.2 to 8.1.7.4 ? Thanks, Ram. ***************************************** * This message was posted via http://www.oraclemonster.com * * Report spam or abuse by clicking the following URL: * http://www.oraclemonster.com/Uwe/Abuse.aspx?aid=73db04a468ad4c33876f738804693df2 ***************************************** "Ramanujam Paravastu via OracleMonster.com" <forum@OracleMonster.com> a �crit dans le message de news:73db04a468ad4c33876f738804693df2@OracleMonster.com... > Can...

Rumors about new iMac
Richard Shim of Cnet News.com says in today's San Francisco Chronicle (newspaper column) that there are some rumors flowing related to the next iMac. One of the major rumors was based on a photo taken in a Paris airport elevator. The photo appeared on the internet--he did not list the url of the website--. The photo indicated that the new Imac will be similar to Apple's new line of flat-panel displays, with the guts of the computer behind the LCD screen. . The photos show a "all in one" computer inside the familiar Apple packaging, down to the signature black and white box. ...

New fast and very simple tool for data deduplication
I've developed a differential backup tool that supports deduplication. It can also be used as a normal file archiver and still take advantage of deduplication. It's main advantage is speed and simplicity. Simplicity because most deduplication tools are implemented as a file system or as large client/server setups. This, in comparison, is a small portable stand-alone executable that doesn't even need any installation. Speed because it reaches 800 MB/s on a 12 cored Dell desktop machine. That's the same range as large expensive hardware storage servers. Website: http://www.ex...

Upgraded Software Safety Web Site
At long last, following a few design attempts, and countless iterations, our new web site is up and running. We believe it will be easier for you to navigate and a lot more pleasing to the eye. We have endeavored to verify all of its links and are continuing to make adjustments and enhancements. An additional web page is pending which will contain a list of future safety-related meetings, conferences, and symposiums, http://www.hcrq.com ...

How to upgrade Fedora from v10 to v11?
I used Fedora for a long time, then switched to Ubuntu. I do not want to get way too stuck with any one distro, so I have a Fedora install on a virtual machine and I want to be able to check it out, make sure that my scripts and such are Fedora compatible, etc. Since I have not used Fedora, I forgot something. How can I upgrade Fedora 10 to 11? Preferably from command line? i Ignoramus31144 wrote: > I used Fedora for a long time, then switched to Ubuntu. > > I do not want to get way too stuck with any one distro, so I have a > Fedora install on a virtual machine and I want to ...

OSX crashed today, and my iPod battery seems to have breathed its last breath.
My ipod will last a whole six minutes on a full charge. Then kaput. Whoohoo, Apple QA! It survived six months and one week. For reference my Sharp minidisc player is six now, going strong, and has even survived a car accident that my bicycle did not. Oon an unrelated note, DVD player locked up while playing. Seems to have been a spurious thing as the same disk at the same spot plays just fine now. Anyway, it completely locked up my UI and after much mashing of buttons I had to go to old faithful and hit the power. Weren't we discussing a while back Apple's shoddy e...

A new reader? Welcome to comp.os.linux.misc, read this first if you're new here (FAQ) #230
Netiquette 2005-12#1 New reader? Great! Welcome! Here's how to make best use of this newsgroup and get yourself a slice of the best help available. Now read on ... TESTING YOUR CONNECTION Errm, first a delicate point. Often users accessing a forum like this for the first time don't realize that posts don't show up immediately, certainly not for several minutes, and maybe not for some hours. In the old days, it took as long as the camel bearing the news took! So they tend to post "test" messages. Plea...

Re: Upgrade My chip on the HP3000 #2
=20 Duane's comment: "When considering Cognos pricing always expect to pay more :-)" Can be further qualified by this rule of thumb: If you wiped the dust from the top of your hp box and COGNOS found out about it, then they'd consider that an upgrade, and you'd have to pay for it. Have a great week! * To join/leave the list, search archives, change list settings, * * etc., please visit http://raven.utc.edu/archives/hp3000-l.html * -----Original Message----- From: HP-3000 Systems Discussion [mailto:HP3000-L@RAVEN.UTC.EDU] On Behalf Of Ray Shaha...

Breathe new life into an older notebook with a few upgrades?
Article titled "Punch Up Your Portable" in the Oct '04 edition of Computer Shopper pages 142-144 (if you can find a newer article on this topic I'd appreciate it), they talk about how to replace your hard drive, ram, & CPU w/ step by step instructions. I thought for most laptops, you couldn't upgrade a processor. Or is it you can, but it isn't really worth it? === "Computers make it easier to do a lot of things, but most of the things they make it easier to do don't need to be done." -- Andy Rooney ___________________________...

testing for new page
Hi All, I was forced to hand code the printing of all my detail bands, including all the headers and footers. I have setup headers and footers as normal details. What I need to do is test if a certain detail will print on a new page. That is, will the next detail band print on the current page or will it print on a new page. I need to print a header for the detail on a new page, if and only if a given detail is printed on the next page. Is there a way to test if a detail is going to print on a new page before it is printed? Thanks all. ...

A new reader? Welcome to comp.os.linux.setup, read this first if you're new here (FAQ) #34
New reader? Great! Welcome! Here's how to make best use of this newsgroup and get yourself a slice of the best help available. Now read on ... TESTING YOUR CONNECTION Errm, first a delicate point. Often users accessing a forum like this for the first time don't realize that posts don't show up immediately, certainly not for several minutes, and maybe not for some hours. In the old days, it took as long as the camel bearing the news took! So they tend to post "test" messages. Please don't! It really is a netiquette faux p...

Windows Installer
I just placed a new version of the Windows Installer on our NTP download page at http://www.meinberg.de/english/sw/ntp.htm because the version which was available the last two days (1.1367) was simply too hot and new and included an annoying bug. Please take my apologies for any inconveniences this may have already caused. I recommend to download the version 4.2.0a@1.1354-o and install it instead. If you already have installed a version of NTP with our installer, you only need to answer "Yes" when you are asked if you only want to upgrade files. Please note that this is also...

New iPod quality issues
Apple "quality" isn't, never was. http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/04/22/itunes_vids_failing_on_5th_gen_ipods_gps_in_iphone_code_more.html Owners of Apple's early video-capable, fifth-generation iPods have found that some recent iTunes Store videos refuse to play. Also, beta versions of the iPhone's 2.0 software emulator make reference to currently unused GPS features, Apple has released its Aperture SDK, and Sony has acquired the company that provides track titles for iTunes. 5G iPods stalling on newer iTunes videos ...