How can I enable the built-in speaker AND the headphone jack?

I have a strange problem.  The headphone jack on my Dell Inspiron 8200
is a little loose.  As a result, it always thinks that something is
plugged into it, even when nothing is.  This, by nature, disables the
built-in speakers since it thinks it's pushing sound to external
speakers/headphones.

I know my best move is to get it fixed, but I have a lot I need to use
it for over the next few weeks.  Is there any way to tell Windows (or
the BIOS) to push sound through the built-in speaker regardless of
whether there's something plugged into the headphone jack or not?

I've looked all around on the system, and I can't find anything that
will do this.  BTW, this is Windows XP.

Thanks for any help you can give!

Mickey
0
mickey
1/6/2004 9:55:25 PM
comp.laptops 2878 articles. 0 followers. bluewatercorvette (11) is leader. Post Follow

It is more than likely a simple mechanical connection within the jack
itself. Not something you can alter in software.
Terry
"Mickey" <mickey@christianguitar.org> wrote in message
> I have a strange problem.  The headphone jack on my Dell Inspiron 8200
> is a little loose.  As a result, it always thinks that something is
> plugged into it, even when nothing is.  This, by nature, disables the
> built-in speakers since it thinks it's pushing sound to external
> speakers/headphones.
>
> I know my best move is to get it fixed, but I have a lot I need to use
> it for over the next few weeks.  Is there any way to tell Windows (or
> the BIOS) to push sound through the built-in speaker regardless of
> whether there's something plugged into the headphone jack or not?
>
> I've looked all around on the system, and I can't find anything that
> will do this.  BTW, this is Windows XP.
>
> Thanks for any help you can give!
>
> Mickey

0
tc
1/6/2004 10:16:33 PM
posibly you have little dirt in the contact, use air presure spray in the
hole, good luck.

--
Dennis Savatski
"Mickey" <mickey@christianguitar.org> wrote in message
> I have a strange problem.  The headphone jack on my Dell Inspiron 8200
> is a little loose.  As a result, it always thinks that something is
> plugged into it, even when nothing is.  This, by nature, disables the
> built-in speakers since it thinks it's pushing sound to external
> speakers/headphones.
>
> I know my best move is to get it fixed, but I have a lot I need to use
> it for over the next few weeks.  Is there any way to tell Windows (or
> the BIOS) to push sound through the built-in speaker regardless of
> whether there's something plugged into the headphone jack or not?
>
> I've looked all around on the system, and I can't find anything that
> will do this.  BTW, this is Windows XP.
>
> Thanks for any help you can give!
>
> Mickey

0