How can I enable the built-in speaker AND the headphone jack?

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

I have a strange problem.  The headphone jack on my Dell Inspiron 8200
is a little loose.  As a result, it always thinks that something is
plugged into it, even when nothing is.  This, by nature, disables the
built-in speakers since it thinks it's pushing sound to external
speakers/headphones.

I know my best move is to get it fixed, but I have a lot I need to use
it for over the next few weeks.  Is there any way to tell Windows (or
the BIOS) to push sound through the built-in speaker regardless of
whether there's something plugged into the headphone jack or not?

I've looked all around on the system, and I can't find anything that
will do this.  BTW, this is Windows XP.

Thanks for any help you can give!

Mickey
0
Reply mickey 1/6/2004 9:55:25 PM

See related articles to this posting

It is more than likely a simple mechanical connection within the jack
itself. Not something you can alter in software.
Terry
"Mickey" <mickey@christianguitar.org> wrote in message
> I have a strange problem.  The headphone jack on my Dell Inspiron 8200
> is a little loose.  As a result, it always thinks that something is
> plugged into it, even when nothing is.  This, by nature, disables the
> built-in speakers since it thinks it's pushing sound to external
> speakers/headphones.
>
> I know my best move is to get it fixed, but I have a lot I need to use
> it for over the next few weeks.  Is there any way to tell Windows (or
> the BIOS) to push sound through the built-in speaker regardless of
> whether there's something plugged into the headphone jack or not?
>
> I've looked all around on the system, and I can't find anything that
> will do this.  BTW, this is Windows XP.
>
> Thanks for any help you can give!
>
> Mickey

0
Reply tc 1/6/2004 10:16:33 PM

posibly you have little dirt in the contact, use air presure spray in the
hole, good luck.

--
Dennis Savatski
"Mickey" <mickey@christianguitar.org> wrote in message
> I have a strange problem.  The headphone jack on my Dell Inspiron 8200
> is a little loose.  As a result, it always thinks that something is
> plugged into it, even when nothing is.  This, by nature, disables the
> built-in speakers since it thinks it's pushing sound to external
> speakers/headphones.
>
> I know my best move is to get it fixed, but I have a lot I need to use
> it for over the next few weeks.  Is there any way to tell Windows (or
> the BIOS) to push sound through the built-in speaker regardless of
> whether there's something plugged into the headphone jack or not?
>
> I've looked all around on the system, and I can't find anything that
> will do this.  BTW, this is Windows XP.
>
> Thanks for any help you can give!
>
> Mickey

0
Reply Dennis 1/7/2004 3:42:46 AM
comp.laptops 2876 articles. 5 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

speaker and jack enable
Hi, I'm Riccardo from Italy I'm sorry for my bad english I have a laptop I ask you, if is possible enable at the same time the sound in the speaker e in the jack. I would use my speaker portable attached at the jack and togheter use the speaker's laptop is possible? I have a Fedora Core 6 Thanks a lot Riccardo RicK_Murphy wrote: > I have a laptop > I ask you, if is possible enable at the same time the sound in > the speaker e in the jack. No, it's normally not, as this is hardwired in the electronics. Technically the built in speakers are connected to the headp...

speaker and jack enable
Hi, I'm Riccardo from Italy I'm sorry for my bad english I have a laptop I ask you, if is possible enable at the same time the sound in the speaker e in the jack. I would use my speaker portable attached at the jack and togheter use the speaker's laptop is possible? I have a Fedora Core 6 Thanks a lot Riccardo RicK_Murphy wrote: > Hi, I'm Riccardo from Italy > I'm sorry for my bad english > I have a laptop > I ask you, if is possible enable at the same time the sound in the speaker e > in the jack. > I would use my speaker porta...

USB vs Headphone Jack for Speakers
Have an EMac and wondering if it is better to purchase speakers that connect to the USB port or to the mini/headphone jack. Any ideas??? "bohacks@hvc.rr.com" <bohacks@hvc.rr.com> wrote in news:1107621606.784153.20460@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com: > Have an EMac and wondering if it is better to purchase speakers that > connect to the USB port or to the mini/headphone jack. Any ideas??? > > If you do get a set of USB speakers make sure they have 24 bit decoders. I believe the built-in audio on most Macs is 16 bit. The difference is in the signal-to-noise ra...

Can I connect a function generator output to the speaker jack?
For an 8th grade science class demonstration of sound's properties of velocity, wavelength, and interference, I'd like to drive the PC's speaker jack with a signal that is also displayed for the students. Is it possible to drive the speaker jack with LabVIEW, i.e., without buying an instrument card? Thanks, JeffreyP Yes, LabVIEW allows you to use the sound card. Have a look at the examples (search for "sound" in the example finder). For example you could use the example "Continuous Sound Output.vi" and connect a waveform graph to the signal wire going to &qu...

Sound output via built-in speaker or via stereo jacks
Last century, I had a Power Centre macintosh which, if I recall, came with MacOs 7.1 (circa 1996). In this mac, there was a Sound control panel which let me force the sound out of the built-in speaker even if there was something plugged into the audio output of the computer. This capability seemd to go away with 7.5 and subsequent upgrades. You see, I have audio cables permanently plugged in between the Mac and the stereo. But I don't really want audible alarms to go out the stereo (and the stereo isn't always on, or "tuned" in to amplify the Mac's sound. Ideally, I wo...

How can I determine if 9.9.4 bind named executable was built with --enable-rrl?
--20cf300e4e5124505204e724276b Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1 Hi, I understand to be able to use rate-limiting with BIND 9.9.4 it needed to have been built with this "./configure --enable-rrl" configure command. But what if I am not the person that builds named? How can I determine if it was built with rate-limiting? I have tried isc-config.sh and rndc status but nothing in the output of those programs indicates if rate-limiting is available from the named executable I have. Thanks Red --20cf300e4e5124505204e724276b Content-Type: text/html; chars...

built with --enable-shared but get error: libpython2.3.so.1.0: can't open shared object file
Hi, Please release me from my own private hell. Platform: SuSE 8.1 I'm installing python 2.3 tarball as follows: ../configure --enable-shared make make install When I simply type: % python I get: python: error while loading shared libraries: libpython2.3.so.1.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory This is really, really, frustrating. The file does in fact live in /usr/local/lib. Interestingly this is outside PYTHONHOME. How do I fix this silly problem (which the python install process should *never* let happen in the first place). -Doug turner@mmedia.is (D...

if it can be imagined , it can be built
explain your imagination . I see an ARM STR710FZ2 that boots the 8K to a 64K Debugger in SRAM . Dbug has in place Symbolic Assembler , you can program strings and program strings to program strings and they can program others ... Strings have conditionals and can jump up or down levels , like Forth . On Jan 28, 4:31 pm, kc...@yahoo.com wrote: > explain your imagination . > > I see an ARM STR710FZ2 that boots the 8K > to a 64K Debugger in SRAM . > > Dbug has in place Symbolic Assembler , you can program strings and > > program strings...

using both usb speakers and built-in speakers
I would like to use both usb speakers and built-in speakers at the same time. Is this possible w/ XP home? ...

Can --enable-streams and --enable-std_iostreams coexist in same build?
The documentation in setup.h says that if wxUSE_STREAMS is enabled, "compiles wxWidgets streams classes". My interpretation of this is that (if enabled) it uses C++ I/O streams instead of C FILE* streams. Am I correct so far? Then the documentation in setup.h says that if wxUSE_STD_IOSTREAM is enabled, "Use standard C++ streams." My interpretation of this is that (if enabled) it uses <iostream> instead of <iostream.h>. Am I correct? If so, when specifying *both* --enable-streams and --enable-std_iostreams for the configure script, wxWidgets ...

Speaker sound lost on Macbook
I have somehow lost the ability to play audio from the Macbook speakers. "Internal Speakers" are not available for selection as Output device. Interestingly, there is a red light shining out of the headphone jack. Ideas? Ian On 2/02/09 2:43, in article 17fbb2c3-0402-42bb-b8c4-d75cb78e7d2f@33g2000yqm.googlegroups.com, "Ian" <jjmjij@yahoo.com> wrote: > I have somehow lost the ability to play audio from the Macbook > speakers. "Internal Speakers" are not available for selection as > Output device. > > Interestingly, there is a red light s...

How can i enable 'grid on' function enable for XY graph?
How can i enable 'grid on' function enable for XY graph in Simulink? Edit: How can i enable 'grid on' function for XY graph tool in Simulink? Is there anyone to answer my question???I want to see grids at XY Graph(simulink block).Is it possible?? There is no block property that allows it to done. However, an X-Y graph is simply a MATLAB figure window, so assuming the block is open then the following will work >> hf = findall(0,'Name',get_param(gcb,'Name')); %handle to figure window >> ha = findall(hf,'Type','axes'); %ha...

Why can't main built-in menubar be turned off under some forms and other it can?
I'm building custom menubars for my application--a different one for each form. When I right-click on a menubar and select Customize and click on the toolbars tab, the menubar called "Menu Bar" can sometimes be unchecked and other times it can't. I'm wondering what determines when and why it sometimes prevents me from unchecking it. In my main form, the "Menu Bar" is unchecked but my custom menubar is checked. I also have my main form's custom menu selected in the properties window. In another form that I call from this first menubar, I have the main fo...

can't run a built application because it can't find Run-Time engine
Let's start at the begining.... everything was working fine, and then I started getting an&nbsp;error 2 (memory is full) while compiling any application.&nbsp; I couldn't resolve the issue but the same applications would compile on another machine, so I uninstalled every National Instrument software from Control Panel (add remove programs), and deleted the c:\Program Files\National Instruments directory.&nbsp; I then reinstall the Labview 8.0 Prof Dev system,&nbsp; and performed the labview 8.0.1 upgrade.&nbsp; I can now open and compile applications,&nbsp; but ...

iMac built-in speakers
I need to check my iMac built-in speakers. How do I open the little oval-shaped plates on the front of my iMac (G3)? It looks like you pry them open by putting a screwdriver in the slot, but I tried that and I didn't feel anything loosening, so I stopped. I don't want to break it. Oddly enough I couldn't find this info on any websites. ...

iPod Headphone Jack
Hi, I recently recieved a new 20GB iPod. I was wondering how to best protect the head phone jack. The headphone jack is what ultimatly totaled my Nomad Jukebox, if broke, I sent it to Creative and they wanted $150 for the repair (or actully a refurbished unit). I don't want this to happen to my iPod. DmctNY8@optonline.net (Andrew Watiker) writes: > > Hi, I recently recieved a new 20GB iPod. I was wondering how to > best protect the head phone jack. The headphone jack is what > ultimatly totaled my Nomad Jukebox, if broke, I sent it to Creative > and they wanted $150 fo...

Switching between headphones and speakers?
I have an iMac running OS 10.3.6, with the Apple Pro speakers that came with it, and headphones normally running off the headphone jack. When the headphone jack is connected, the speakers mute. Is there any way to control this behavior from the software? I am tired of constantly unplugging the headphones in order to hear the speakers. I installed SoundSource, but like the sound prefs it only recognizes one output option (built-in audio) with no possibility of switching between anything, as far as I can tell. Any ideas? There must be some system variable that controls whether the speakers ...

headphones do not mute speakers
greets! I have a sudden problem in Kubuntu 7.04 using hp pavillion dv2000 and alsa drivers. plugging in the headphones does not mute the speakers. this used to work fine until a day or so ago. I cannot connect it with any changes I have made but who knows? I have tried fooling with kmix and alsamixer but so far, nothing works. the problem is systemic, thus it makes no difference if I use kaffeine, mplayer, etc. the problem does not occur in Windows Vista on the same machine. I have am googling but so far, no good. any clues? Felmon On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 02:15:59 -0400, felmon davis wr...

Headphones/Speakers are Dead
I own a Tungsten T unit and its headphones jack has become so bad as to be no longer usable at the moment. Moreover, the bad contacts in the affected component make it 'think' that headphones have been inserted and, therefore, the speakers do not receive a signal either. Changing the headphones jack component would be expensive. I already have a couple of SD cards on which I store media, so it would be a shame giving up on sound altogether. Would it be possible to divert sound to Bluetooth and pick up the signal using headphones? Is there any other way I can continue listenin...

Using the headphone jack
I have three DVD players in three separate computers. Each player has a stereo jack on the front. On none of the DVD players can sound be heard when an audio CD is played and a pair of stereo headphones connected to the front jack. Any idea why this would be the case? All of these computers run W2K and or W2003 Server, but this wouldn't affect the front audio jack would it? I have CD players in W98 and Linux machines and the headphone jack works on both. Is it the OS or the fact that these are CD players, not DVD players? Many thanks. "Andrew Chalk" <achalk@...

Built-in speaker problems on a laptop
I have a PowerBook G4 1.67 GHz PowerPC running OS 10.4.8. The built-in speakers randomly stopped working. I can't think of anything I did to cause it. It seems to be a software-side problem. At the same time as my speakers stopped going, the headphone jack started glowing red, looks like it has turned into an optical audio out. I can still plug headphones into the headphone jack, and external USB speakers work fine. But the internal speakers don't show up in the System Preferences and when I use the volume adjustment buttons on the keyboard, it comes up with a (\) symbol under th...

can you enable coercion between types?
I have a ruby class called Duration that represents a unit of time. It's main attribute is a number that represents the duration in seconds. If I try to save it to a DB using Rails, I get a "Duration can not be coerced into Float" error. Is there a way to modify the definition of Duration to enable automatic coercion into a float? (I'm thinking of something like adding a "to_float" method to the class.) thanks in advance larry Did you try #to_f? T. On Sun, 19 Mar 2006, larry wrote: > I have a ruby class called Duration that represents a unit of time. &...

Enabling one of the Dual CAN
hi all! here i want to test my CAN software and my controller is MB90F428 that has dual CAN(CAN0 ,CAN1).i want to use one of that two.How to enable a particular CAN that may be CAN0 or CAN1.please suggest me. Thanks in advance, Charan On 08/03/2006 the venerable Charan etched in runes: > hi all! > here i want to test my CAN software and my controller is MB90F428 > that has dual CAN(CAN0 ,CAN1).i want to use one of that two.How to > enable a particular CAN that may be CAN0 or CAN1.please suggest me. > > Thanks in advance, > Charan If it was me, I would t...

Thinkpad T42 headphone jack
Hi, I have a Thinkpad T42 and I'm trying to figure out if there's any way I can make the headphone jack remain enabled when it is in the docking station. The headphone jack works fine when it is undocked, but when I dock it, the headphone jack on the side seems to become disabled and the line out jack on the docking station becomes enabled. I do not have the docking station connected to amplified speakers and I would like to continue to use headphones when the laptop is docked at my desk all day. Unfortunately, line out is not the same as a headphone jack and the line out signal lev...