How can I enable the built-in speaker AND the headphone jack?

I have a strange problem.  The headphone jack on my Dell Inspiron 8200
is a little loose.  As a result, it always thinks that something is
plugged into it, even when nothing is.  This, by nature, disables the
built-in speakers since it thinks it's pushing sound to external
speakers/headphones.

I know my best move is to get it fixed, but I have a lot I need to use
it for over the next few weeks.  Is there any way to tell Windows (or
the BIOS) to push sound through the built-in speaker regardless of
whether there's something plugged into the headphone jack or not?

I've looked all around on the system, and I can't find anything that
will do this.  BTW, this is Windows XP.

Thanks for any help you can give!

Mickey
0
mickey
1/6/2004 9:55:25 PM
comp.laptops 2877 articles. 0 followers. bluewatercorvette (11) is leader. Post Follow

It is more than likely a simple mechanical connection within the jack
itself. Not something you can alter in software.
Terry
"Mickey" <mickey@christianguitar.org> wrote in message
> I have a strange problem.  The headphone jack on my Dell Inspiron 8200
> is a little loose.  As a result, it always thinks that something is
> plugged into it, even when nothing is.  This, by nature, disables the
> built-in speakers since it thinks it's pushing sound to external
> speakers/headphones.
>
> I know my best move is to get it fixed, but I have a lot I need to use
> it for over the next few weeks.  Is there any way to tell Windows (or
> the BIOS) to push sound through the built-in speaker regardless of
> whether there's something plugged into the headphone jack or not?
>
> I've looked all around on the system, and I can't find anything that
> will do this.  BTW, this is Windows XP.
>
> Thanks for any help you can give!
>
> Mickey

0
tc
1/6/2004 10:16:33 PM
posibly you have little dirt in the contact, use air presure spray in the
hole, good luck.

--
Dennis Savatski
"Mickey" <mickey@christianguitar.org> wrote in message
> I have a strange problem.  The headphone jack on my Dell Inspiron 8200
> is a little loose.  As a result, it always thinks that something is
> plugged into it, even when nothing is.  This, by nature, disables the
> built-in speakers since it thinks it's pushing sound to external
> speakers/headphones.
>
> I know my best move is to get it fixed, but I have a lot I need to use
> it for over the next few weeks.  Is there any way to tell Windows (or
> the BIOS) to push sound through the built-in speaker regardless of
> whether there's something plugged into the headphone jack or not?
>
> I've looked all around on the system, and I can't find anything that
> will do this.  BTW, this is Windows XP.
>
> Thanks for any help you can give!
>
> Mickey

0
Dennis

Can any body tell where I can download COBOL compiler?
Can any body tell where I can download COBOL compiler. I want to compile some COBOL programs on my PC. Hi Ananda. If you check out the COBOL FAQ @ http://www.cobolreport.com/faqs/cobolfaq.htm , it provides details of where you can obtain COBOL compilers. Simon. Ananda Rao wrote: > Can any body tell where I can download COBOL compiler. I want to > compile some COBOL programs on my PC. There is a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) posted in the comp.lang.cobol group on google. As this is frequently asked the replies are all there rather than being repeated to each person that ask...

[News] Poor Windows Can't Do Online Banking, GNU/Linux Sure Can

Eclipse can create jar everytime I save?
Hi, Is it possible with eclipse 3 (or with a plugin) to create automatically a jar file everytime I save a class. So everytime it will rebuild the .class files it will recreate the .jar file. Thank you Alessandro Rossi Hi, aleicaro@libero.it wrote: > Hi, > Is it possible with eclipse 3 (or with a plugin) to create > automatically a jar file everytime I save a class. So everytime it will > rebuild the .class files it will recreate the .jar file. > > Thank you > Alessandro Rossi Yes: When you save a class, it will automatically be compiled by Eclipse (if you have sele...

How can i save automatically the command window ?
Hi Do you know how can i save automatically the results after training in the Command window? I want to save all of the process(results) at the Command window during/after training. Ie there any fucntion or command key? It looks easy but i can't find. If you know it, please let me know. Thank you. JK wrote: > > > Hi > > Do you know how can i save automatically the results after training > in the Command window? > > I want to save all of the process(results) at the Command window > during/after training. > > Ie there any fucntion or command key? > ...

Can series of uploads be automated?
Would like to send separate messages on consecutive days to a single email address. Instead of logging in each day, would it be possible to load the three at one time and designate the delivery time and date? piedtype@gmail.com wrote: > > Would like to send separate messages on consecutive days to a single > email address. Instead of logging in each day, would it be possible to > load the three at one time and designate the delivery time and date? Yes. Schedulers and command-line email clients are available for most relevant operating systems. Thor -- http://www.anta.net/O...

can't upload file to $_FILES
I'm trying to figure out why I can't upload a file in php. I'm trying it locally on a windows XP machine running Apache 2.2 and PHP 5.2.1. That is I am running the browser/server on same machine to test with. I also tried it on a remote linux server, though in that case I'm not sure what the s config settings where, except that it does have PHP and I get the same results. Are there any releevant apache settings ? I have not come accross any. Below is my script, results, and config settings. =------------------------------------------------------ <html> <body>...

Can ctrl-c throw an exception?
Can I set things up so that if I hit ctrl-c while a program is running, then a catch block will be run before of a hard termination of the script? Thanks. Why not give it a try? function [] = ctrlcthrow % Call the function, then hit ctrl+c. cnt = 1; try while true cnt = cnt +1; end catch disp('Error caught') end "klydefrog" <aj00mcgraw@gmail.com> wrote in message news:18909815.1237217764250.JavaMail.jakarta@nitrogen.mathforum.org... > Can I set things up so that if I hit ctrl-c while a program is running, > then a catch block...

mc9s12ne64 Trying to enable Interrupt result in "no source reference found" ?
Hi there! I am trying to get my interrupts working on my mc9s12ne64 board. The code is as follows. ##################################################### #include <hidef.h> /* common defines and macros */ #include <MC9S12NE64.h> /* derivative information */ #pragma LINK_INFO DERIVATIVE "1" void main(void) { long i; int a,b; //init PLL so PLL is 50MHz and bus is 25 MHz SYNR = 0; REFDV = 0; //wait for PLL lock while(!(CRGFLG & 0x08)); //choose PLLCLK CLKSEL |= 0x80; EnableInterrupts; while(1); } ###############################################...

Can I play LOTRO?
If I download the 5.6Gb high res. client can I play it in UK even tho free trial is not for Europe? Alan "Rand Al'Thor" <randalthor@wheeloftime.ie> wrote in message news:heS7k.61057$iv3.34154@newsfe14.ams2... > If I download the 5.6Gb high res. client can I play it in UK even tho free > trial is not for Europe? > > Alan > Is there a smaller client you can DL first? Might be worth a try. :-) Depending on how complicated you want to get, you might be able to work it all out through a proxy in the US if it won't let you play from the UK. &quo...

Can I Import Multiple Files?
If some1 can please inform, I am wondering if in either Pine or Alpine, or even NANO, if I can import multiple file in to a current message? I think control+l only accepts 1 name? Thanks so much in advance Hart On Thu, 2 May 2013, Hart Larry wrote: > If some1 can please inform, I am wondering if in either Pine or Alpine, or > even NANO, if I can import multiple file in to a current message? I think > control+l only accepts 1 name? > Thanks so much in advance > Hart > Are you talking about reading in files, or attaching files to email? If it's just ...

Can you help save my mariage? Monitor question
Please help, my wife is insistent taht I get rid of my 21 inch IBM P201 and buy a flat screen monitor. I am in the Uk but the makes should be the same, I need a 17 inch tft that I can still work on my photographs with. Please give advice. Gary >From: "Gary" gary.sandy@btinternet.com >Please help, my wife is insistent taht I get rid of my 21 inch IBM P201 and >buy a flat screen monitor. I am in the Uk but the makes should be the same, >I need a 17 inch tft that I can still work on my photographs with. Please >give advice. It might be cheaper in the long run t...

Last call for participation: Speaker and Language Recognition Course (Joensuu, Finland)
========================================= Call for participation: 16th International ECSE Summer School in Novel Computing (Joensuu, FINLAND) 10.-14.8.2009 ========================================= !!! Early-bird registration deadline: June 15, 2009 Late-bird registrations: June 31, 2009 !!! University of Joensuu, Finland, announces the 16th International ECSE Summer School in Novel Computing: http://cs.joensuu.fi/ecse/ The summer school includes two parallel tracks, one from signal processing / machine learning and the other one from educational technology: ...

How can I measure the network load ?
Hi I am looking for a tool allowing to get periodically the network load of some machines on a local area network (Linux and Solaris 8), and the amount of information between clients and servers of my distributed application. The aim is to gather enough information to optimize the distribution of my processes over the network, to know which clients/servers are the most bandwith consuming in runtime conditons, and so on ... I tried netstat, but this does not give me full satisfaction, and the result is different on Linux and Solaris. Thanks for any advice ! Nicolas > I am looking for ...

Can Sendmail merge delivery attempts?
Assuming Sendmail is configured to re-try delivery every 30 minutes, if one message is in the queue for a given destination MX, I would expect there to be one TCP connection to that destination's port 25 every 30 minutes. But if there is more than one message, what is supposed to happen? I would have expected a mail server to be smart enough to still try only once every 30 minutes, but once delivery can be accomplished, it would then try to deliver everything pending in the queue for that destination. What I am instead seeing is that in a scenario with 15 messages in the queue, it is ma...

Pg_dump : Can I specify the Password ?
Hello, I'm doing automated database dump and want to be able to specify Username and Passowrd in my shell script for pg_dump. When I do man pg_dump there are no options for password. There is -U username to specify username which actually doesn't work for me, I still get prompted for username, but there is nothing to specify password. Is there anyway of going around this? I need to automate everything and forego prompting. Thanks in advance. N.K. ...

where can I get to the faq?
Hello. Roman There is no faq Lukasz <journey@op.pl> wrote in message news:RGXQb.306234$Tz1.111302@news.chello.at... > Hello. > Roman Lukasz wrote: > Hello. > > Roman Faq off. ...

can't resolve host name
Problem: I can't resolve LAN computer names from my imac Context: * imac G5 running Tiger with all updates * imac is on a LAN with a linksys wrt54G router * win2k machine on same LAN * Linksys router performs dhcp services * my win2k machine uses a setting, "use NetBIOS setting from DHCP server" to enable me to resolve host names (as I can demonstrate with Ping hostname) Question: What settings do i make on the imac running Tiger to achieve the same goal (host name resolution) Thank you !!!! Bil ...

How can I plug in Swi-prolog in Eclipse
I'm trying to plug in Swi-prolog (include already jpl) to Eclipse. I use "gems-emf-intelligence-prolog-beta-1.01" like instruction. ===================================== You need to download and install SWI Prolog from http://www.swi-prolog.org/download.html. After installing SWI, you must copy the jpl.jar from SWI's bin directory to the lib directory in this plug-in. If it is not named exactly "jpl.jar", you must rename it to 'jpl.jar'. Finally, you must add the SWI's bin directory to your system PATH variable. In Windows, you MUST restart your system ...

TextEdit can't, shell can ?
Had some simple task that Windows can't handle, so I copied umpteen dozen files to a USB drive and stuck it in the Mac. Opened Terminal, did a one line command with redirection to another file, also on the USB drive. bash/grep had no problem writing the file. Opened the file in text edit to make a minor change. TextEdit says unable to save the file because no space on the device. Finder says the device has 309 MB available, but it can't duplicate the file "because the device is full df says the device has 302 MB available. ls says the file is less than 2...

expense in the can
Some telecommunications discover, cook, and cause. Others weakly found. She'd crush easily than imply with Ahmed's welsh variant. He may mercilessly boost since payable statistical neighbourhoods. I was exploring to distribute you some of my shared residences. We ring them, then we least carve Ikram and Atiqullah's beneficial kind. Nowadays, Mhammed never ventures until Tom stores the shocked publicity finally. No sound refs are notable and other amazing stances are standard, but will Julieta pay that? To be open or leading will interfere theoretical conferences to ...

Can I user xterm-256color in Terminal.app?
I have an entry of xterm-256color in the directory /usr/share/ terminfo/ 78/, which I think came with ncuresew package I installed via DarwinPorts. If I run mrxvt and export TERM=xterm-256color, I see beautiful 256 colors display in both vim and emacs. But if I do this in Terminal.app, (i.e., TERM=xterm-256color vim), vim would display blinking screen, although I managed to issue :echo &t_Co and that does return 256 How can I use xterm-256color in regular Terminal.app? In article <1185828301.121572.3070@j4g2000prf.googlegroups.com>, sanrou <jindan@gmail.com> wrote: > I...

can u help with my select ?
Hello All, I have a simple table with 2 columns. datetime int 27.05.04 1 29.05.04 2 31.05.04 5 and i need to get a view that looks like this below : 27.05.04 1 1 29.05.04 2 3 31.05.04 5 8 The third column shows a sum of numbers that were display before present one ... I was trying build stored proc however I'm not so familiar with SQL so I failed.. :-( can anybody help ? thx in advance Krzysiek "Krzysiek" <krzysiek79@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:c9fq48$25ka$1@news2.ipartners.pl... > Hello All, > > I have a simple table wi...

Can We optmize this?
This is a button callback If the Button String is "select All" I select all the checkbox and chnage the name of the button to unselect all. Can we potimize this? if(strcmp(get(gco,'String'),'Select All')) set(gco,'String','Unselect All'); set(findobj('-regexp','Style','checkbox','Enable','on'),'Value',1); else set(gco,'String','Select All'); set(findobj('-regexp','Style','checkbox','Enable','on'),'Value',0); end Thanks Hel...

Yes you can Hack it (My Best post)
Original Post from DEFENDHACKERS BLOG http://defendhackers.blogspot.com/2011/04/yes-you-can-hack-it-my-best-post.html Peoples Out there Suggest me a Good Mobile Phone For me,,i hated using Symbian ..! N81..For the last one weeek am surfing , reading reviews about each phone , But don kno which one have to pick few say ANDROID is Awsum, And few say Nokia N900 (Maemo Linux OS Incredible), And few askk me to go BLACKBERRY (I hated coz, blackberry Doesnt come With Fun Packed multimedia Stuffs) And about Iphone i dont needed it, I Always been a Lazy And Sober Person..Don Want to miss Ma Phone....

FAQ 6.9 How can I quote a variable to use in a regex? #7
This is an excerpt from the latest version perlfaq6.pod, which comes with the standard Perl distribution. These postings aim to reduce the number of repeated questions as well as allow the community to review and update the answers. The latest version of the complete perlfaq is at http://faq.perl.org . -------------------------------------------------------------------- 6.9: How can I quote a variable to use in a regex? The Perl parser will expand $variable and @variable references in regular expressions unless the delimiter is a single quote. Remember, too, that the right-hand...