How can I enable the built-in speaker AND the headphone jack?

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

I have a strange problem.  The headphone jack on my Dell Inspiron 8200
is a little loose.  As a result, it always thinks that something is
plugged into it, even when nothing is.  This, by nature, disables the
built-in speakers since it thinks it's pushing sound to external
speakers/headphones.

I know my best move is to get it fixed, but I have a lot I need to use
it for over the next few weeks.  Is there any way to tell Windows (or
the BIOS) to push sound through the built-in speaker regardless of
whether there's something plugged into the headphone jack or not?

I've looked all around on the system, and I can't find anything that
will do this.  BTW, this is Windows XP.

Thanks for any help you can give!

Mickey
0
Reply mickey 1/6/2004 9:55:25 PM

See related articles to this posting

It is more than likely a simple mechanical connection within the jack
itself. Not something you can alter in software.
Terry
"Mickey" <mickey@christianguitar.org> wrote in message
> I have a strange problem.  The headphone jack on my Dell Inspiron 8200
> is a little loose.  As a result, it always thinks that something is
> plugged into it, even when nothing is.  This, by nature, disables the
> built-in speakers since it thinks it's pushing sound to external
> speakers/headphones.
>
> I know my best move is to get it fixed, but I have a lot I need to use
> it for over the next few weeks.  Is there any way to tell Windows (or
> the BIOS) to push sound through the built-in speaker regardless of
> whether there's something plugged into the headphone jack or not?
>
> I've looked all around on the system, and I can't find anything that
> will do this.  BTW, this is Windows XP.
>
> Thanks for any help you can give!
>
> Mickey

0
Reply tc 1/6/2004 10:16:33 PM

posibly you have little dirt in the contact, use air presure spray in the
hole, good luck.

--
Dennis Savatski
"Mickey" <mickey@christianguitar.org> wrote in message
> I have a strange problem.  The headphone jack on my Dell Inspiron 8200
> is a little loose.  As a result, it always thinks that something is
> plugged into it, even when nothing is.  This, by nature, disables the
> built-in speakers since it thinks it's pushing sound to external
> speakers/headphones.
>
> I know my best move is to get it fixed, but I have a lot I need to use
> it for over the next few weeks.  Is there any way to tell Windows (or
> the BIOS) to push sound through the built-in speaker regardless of
> whether there's something plugged into the headphone jack or not?
>
> I've looked all around on the system, and I can't find anything that
> will do this.  BTW, this is Windows XP.
>
> Thanks for any help you can give!
>
> Mickey

0
Reply Dennis 1/7/2004 3:42:46 AM
comp.laptops 2874 articles. 5 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

speaker and jack enable
Hi, I'm Riccardo from Italy I'm sorry for my bad english I have a laptop I ask you, if is possible enable at the same time the sound in the speaker e in the jack. I would use my speaker portable attached at the jack and togheter use the speaker's laptop is possible? I have a Fedora Core 6 Thanks a lot Riccardo RicK_Murphy wrote: > I have a laptop > I ask you, if is possible enable at the same time the sound in > the speaker e in the jack. No, it's normally not, as this is hardwired in the electronics. Technically the built in speakers are connected to the headp...

speaker and jack enable
Hi, I'm Riccardo from Italy I'm sorry for my bad english I have a laptop I ask you, if is possible enable at the same time the sound in the speaker e in the jack. I would use my speaker portable attached at the jack and togheter use the speaker's laptop is possible? I have a Fedora Core 6 Thanks a lot Riccardo RicK_Murphy wrote: > Hi, I'm Riccardo from Italy > I'm sorry for my bad english > I have a laptop > I ask you, if is possible enable at the same time the sound in the speaker e > in the jack. > I would use my speaker porta...

USB vs Headphone Jack for Speakers
Have an EMac and wondering if it is better to purchase speakers that connect to the USB port or to the mini/headphone jack. Any ideas??? "bohacks@hvc.rr.com" <bohacks@hvc.rr.com> wrote in news:1107621606.784153.20460@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com: > Have an EMac and wondering if it is better to purchase speakers that > connect to the USB port or to the mini/headphone jack. Any ideas??? > > If you do get a set of USB speakers make sure they have 24 bit decoders. I believe the built-in audio on most Macs is 16 bit. The difference is in the signal-to-noise ra...

Can I connect a function generator output to the speaker jack?
For an 8th grade science class demonstration of sound's properties of velocity, wavelength, and interference, I'd like to drive the PC's speaker jack with a signal that is also displayed for the students. Is it possible to drive the speaker jack with LabVIEW, i.e., without buying an instrument card? Thanks, JeffreyP Yes, LabVIEW allows you to use the sound card. Have a look at the examples (search for "sound" in the example finder). For example you could use the example "Continuous Sound Output.vi" and connect a waveform graph to the signal wire going to &qu...

Sound output via built-in speaker or via stereo jacks
Last century, I had a Power Centre macintosh which, if I recall, came with MacOs 7.1 (circa 1996). In this mac, there was a Sound control panel which let me force the sound out of the built-in speaker even if there was something plugged into the audio output of the computer. This capability seemd to go away with 7.5 and subsequent upgrades. You see, I have audio cables permanently plugged in between the Mac and the stereo. But I don't really want audible alarms to go out the stereo (and the stereo isn't always on, or "tuned" in to amplify the Mac's sound. Ideally, I wo...

How can I determine if 9.9.4 bind named executable was built with --enable-rrl?
--20cf300e4e5124505204e724276b Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1 Hi, I understand to be able to use rate-limiting with BIND 9.9.4 it needed to have been built with this "./configure --enable-rrl" configure command. But what if I am not the person that builds named? How can I determine if it was built with rate-limiting? I have tried isc-config.sh and rndc status but nothing in the output of those programs indicates if rate-limiting is available from the named executable I have. Thanks Red --20cf300e4e5124505204e724276b Content-Type: text/html; chars...

built with --enable-shared but get error: libpython2.3.so.1.0: can't open shared object file
Hi, Please release me from my own private hell. Platform: SuSE 8.1 I'm installing python 2.3 tarball as follows: ../configure --enable-shared make make install When I simply type: % python I get: python: error while loading shared libraries: libpython2.3.so.1.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory This is really, really, frustrating. The file does in fact live in /usr/local/lib. Interestingly this is outside PYTHONHOME. How do I fix this silly problem (which the python install process should *never* let happen in the first place). -Doug turner@mmedia.is (D...

if it can be imagined , it can be built
explain your imagination . I see an ARM STR710FZ2 that boots the 8K to a 64K Debugger in SRAM . Dbug has in place Symbolic Assembler , you can program strings and program strings to program strings and they can program others ... Strings have conditionals and can jump up or down levels , like Forth . On Jan 28, 4:31 pm, kc...@yahoo.com wrote: > explain your imagination . > > I see an ARM STR710FZ2 that boots the 8K > to a 64K Debugger in SRAM . > > Dbug has in place Symbolic Assembler , you can program strings and > > program strings...

using both usb speakers and built-in speakers
I would like to use both usb speakers and built-in speakers at the same time. Is this possible w/ XP home? ...