How hot is hot?

 I have a Dell CPi
first ever laptop, so some stupid newbie questions here)
I have a broken leg, so the laptop is truly a LAPtop, I was wondering how
hot is normal, I read about the lights blinking a certain way if the battery
is too hot... everything is ok with the lights but the laptop itself gets
VERY hot (almost burning hot- i have to keep it on a pillow when it is on my
lap.Is this normal?
Also I usually leave the charger/adapter plugged into AC even when using
battery power, will this harm the charger?

0
Barbara
6/9/2004 8:30:26 PM
comp.laptops 2878 articles. 0 followers. bluewatercorvette (11) is leader. Post Follow

"Barbara" <lotus33@verizon.net> wrote in message
> I have a Dell CPi
> first ever laptop, so some stupid newbie questions here)
> I have a broken leg, so the laptop is truly a LAPtop, I was wondering how
> hot is normal, I read about the lights blinking a certain way if the
battery
> is too hot... everything is ok with the lights but the laptop itself gets
> VERY hot (almost burning hot- i have to keep it on a pillow when it is on
my
> lap.Is this normal?
> Also I usually leave the charger/adapter plugged into AC even when using
> battery power, will this harm the charger?

Check that the air intake vent is not blocked (under the laptop?)!
using it on a pillow could be blocking the air intakes - then
it will get REALLY hot and maybe even crash!

regarding the AC adapter - if you mean that you leave it plugged in
to the wall outlet and disconnected from the PC - then normally it
will be OK.

Regards
Michael in Glenrothes, Scotland

---

Michael
6/9/2004 9:30:55 PM
"Michael Strefford" <mickstrefford@_nospam_blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message news:<jkLxc.178$yR2.1770715@news-text.cableinet.net>...
> "Barbara" <lotus33@verizon.net> wrote in message
> > I have a Dell CPi
> > first ever laptop, so some stupid newbie questions here)
> > I have a broken leg, so the laptop is truly a LAPtop, I was wondering how
> > hot is normal, I read about the lights blinking a certain way if the
>  battery
> > is too hot... everything is ok with the lights but the laptop itself gets
> > VERY hot (almost burning hot- i have to keep it on a pillow when it is on
>  my lap.Is this normal?
> > Also I usually leave the charger/adapter plugged into AC even when using
> > battery power, will this harm the charger?

Is the fan in the laptop running?  Does it blow out hot air?  Laptops
can pick up a lot of dust and fluff...
0
alordofchaos
6/11/2004 7:23:28 PM
I noticed my laptop getting extremely hot while I was using it on my couch
the other day.  It turns out that the fan outlet underneath was blocked.
Why would they design laptops such that the very place the fan outlet is
likely to be blocked is exactly where they put it?  Why not exhaust through
the sides?  Just wondering.

"Anonymous Jack" <alordofchaos@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> "Michael Strefford" <mickstrefford@_nospam_blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in
message news:<jkLxc.178$yR2.1770715@news-text.cableinet.net>...
> > "Barbara" <lotus33@verizon.net> wrote in message
> > > I have a Dell CPi
> > > first ever laptop, so some stupid newbie questions here)
> > > I have a broken leg, so the laptop is truly a LAPtop, I was wondering
how
> > > hot is normal, I read about the lights blinking a certain way if the
> >  battery
> > > is too hot... everything is ok with the lights but the laptop itself
gets
> > > VERY hot (almost burning hot- i have to keep it on a pillow when it is
on
> >  my lap.Is this normal?
> > > Also I usually leave the charger/adapter plugged into AC even when
using
> > > battery power, will this harm the charger?
>
> Is the fan in the laptop running?  Does it blow out hot air?  Laptops
> can pick up a lot of dust and fluff...

0
Klenow
6/12/2004 4:38:32 AM
Klenow wrote:
> I noticed my laptop getting extremely hot while I was using it on my couch
> the other day.  It turns out that the fan outlet underneath was blocked.
> Why would they design laptops such that the very place the fan outlet is
> likely to be blocked is exactly where they put it?  Why not exhaust through
> the sides?  Just wondering.
>

> "Anonymous Jack" <alordofchaos@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>"Michael Strefford" <mickstrefford@_nospam_blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in
>
> message news:<jkLxc.178$yR2.1770715@news-text.cableinet.net>...
>
>>>"Barbara" <lotus33@verizon.net> wrote in message

> how

>>> battery

> gets

> on
>
>>> my lap.Is this normal?

> using

>>Is the fan in the laptop running?  Does it blow out hot air?  Laptops
>>can pick up a lot of dust and fluff...

....because it is a notebook, not a laptop.

jwglasspe
6/21/2004 11:19:12 PM
"jwglasspe[at]" <"jwglasspe[at]"@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Klenow wrote:
> > I noticed my laptop getting extremely hot while I was using it on my
couch
> > the other day.  It turns out that the fan outlet underneath was blocked.
> > Why would they design laptops such that the very place the fan outlet is
> > likely to be blocked is exactly where they put it?  Why not exhaust
through
> > the sides?  Just wondering.
> >

> ...because it is a notebook, not a laptop.

If they're designed to be only used on desks or tables then why not call
them desktops or tabletops?

Klenow
6/22/2004 3:05:15 AM
"Klenow" <bakedbeans@spam.not> wrote in

> "jwglasspe[at]" <"jwglasspe[at]"@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Klenow wrote:
>> > I noticed my laptop getting extremely hot while I was using it on
>> > my
> couch
>> > the other day.  It turns out that the fan outlet underneath was
>> > blocked. Why would they design laptops such that the very place the
>> > fan outlet is likely to be blocked is exactly where they put it?
>> > Why not exhaust
> through
>> > the sides?  Just wondering.
>> >

>> ...because it is a notebook, not a laptop.

> If they're designed to be only used on desks or tables then why not
> call them desktops or tabletops?

Yeah, it's daft isn't it. My previous laptop had the main fan intake on
the bottom. I used to use it on a table with a light tablecloth under it.
Believe it or not the fan would suck the tablecloth up against the
intake, blocking it. I've seen a lot of plain stupid design flaws over
the years in the white good manufacturing business, but this one has to
be the top scorer for stupidity. My current laptop sucks in a little
grill on the back between the ports, and blows out the side. The only
complaint is that it blows hot air out all over my mousing hand. Ah,
well, guess you can;t have everything.

--
Peter in New Zealand
Please note the email address is never checked.