how to install windows on IBM thinkpad 240 without CD-ROM or floppy drive?

Hi,

I was wondering whether I could pull the 2.5 drive out of an IBM
thinkpad 240 laptop, use a laptop2IDE adapter to connect the drive to my
desktop system and install a full XP (or 98 or 2000) OS on it, then
install it back in the laptop?

I realize that all the drivers will be messed up, but it seems that the
only way to do it otherwise is to buy an IBM USB CD-ROM drive. I have an
IOMEGA USB CD drive but that won't work.

Are there cables that I could use to attach my desktop CD-ROM to the
parallel port of the laptop to do the installation without pulling the
drive?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Unfortunately, linux isn't an
option here as I really need a couple of windows apps to work.

TIA, Pete

0
200401 (1)
2/20/2004 12:04:11 AM
comp.laptops 2878 articles. 0 followers. bluewatercorvette (11) is leader. Post Follow

1). Once you have taken out your drive do an fdisk format c: and
scandisk/surface.

2).  For win 98 load the CAB files to your drive and install it back
in your laptop and run setup from dos.

2b).  For win XP goto bootdisk.com and get the boot utility for XP.
You need to load the i386 folder into your Hd.  Boot with the utility
disk and run smartdrv the setup for winxp is winnt.exe
Hope this helps.
Pete Riley <200401@peteriley.org> wrote in message news:<1acZb.474$GX6.206@fe07.usenetserver.com>...
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering whether I could pull the 2.5 drive out of an IBM
> thinkpad 240 laptop, use a laptop2IDE adapter to connect the drive to my
> desktop system and install a full XP (or 98 or 2000) OS on it, then
> install it back in the laptop?
>
> I realize that all the drivers will be messed up, but it seems that the
> only way to do it otherwise is to buy an IBM USB CD-ROM drive. I have an
> IOMEGA USB CD drive but that won't work.
>
> Are there cables that I could use to attach my desktop CD-ROM to the
> parallel port of the laptop to do the installation without pulling the
> drive?
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated. Unfortunately, linux isn't an
> option here as I really need a couple of windows apps to work.
>
> TIA, Pete
0
ogloco

FS: IBM Thinkpad AC adapter , CD-ROM drive, ext. floppy drive
For sale: IBM Thinkpad AC adapter - $20 IBM Thinkpad internal CD-ROM drive - $30 IBM Thinkpad external floppy drive with cabe - $30. Pictures and FRU numbers available. Please reply by e-mail. ...

One Unreadable CD-ROM on IBM Thinkpad 600E with built-in CD-ROM Drive
Hi, Well, I got a CD-ROM disk from an individual, who created ("burned") the CD from her (workstation, I assume) computer from her business's network. My current Warp 4, FP #15, DDK #2, Latest IDEDASD.EXE files (OS2CDROM), updated CDFS.IFS, DANIS506, DANIATAPI.FLT etc., and can not read the CD at all. And if the CD is in the IDE/ATAPI CD-ROM Drive as OS/2 is booting, OS/2 is unable to boot-up. I can read all other CDs that I have bought or received, including with Long File Names (LFN). My CONFIG.SYS file contains these pertinent lines: " rem BASEDEV=...

FA: IBM Thinkpad 760 20X CD-Rom Drives, AC Adapters & Zip Drives
To view the auctions, please visit http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/transcomservices/ ----== Posted via Newsfeed.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==---- http://www.newsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups ---= 19 East/West-Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via Encryption =--- ...

install opensdb without any cd-rom drive
Hello, I would like to install OpenBSD on an (very) old computer (P90, RAM 24Mo), to set up a router/gateway for my little private network. (Until now, I was using a linux distrib, but I want to test BSD). But the problem is that I don't have any CD-ROM drive on this computer, and I didn't find anywhere how to install OpenBSD without any CD-ROM drive. Is it not possible ? Do I have to temporaly connect a CD-ROM drive ? Can you help me ? Many thanks ! Guillaume. Guillaume REMY <guillaume.remy@no-log.org> writes: > But the problem is that I don't hav...

Installing windows on my laptop without using my DVD-drive
Hello everyone, first of all m rather new here and theres actually just one thing i would like some information about. About 8 months ago, i was playing this computer game on my laptop and i got so pissed off at the game that i gave my laptop a good hit with my fist.... anyhow while i did that i broke 1 of the 2 Harddisks wich were located directly under my fist. Not a problem .. lets just buy a new harddisk and install it. no big deal. but then a nasty thing occured. My DVD drive was broken to(not by my hit it just doesnt work for some reason). Ive got no idea how to replace the damm thing.. so i decided to bring it to computer store to have it fixed(300 euros, way to much so i was like fck the damm thing ill buy a new one) though ive been thinking these days that another notebook could come in handy then i thought of the idea of installing windows on the 1 and only working harddisk still inside the laptop. but how? i thought of plugging it in my desktop(as an external USB harddisk). i also thought using my new laptop for it, but i dont wanna ruin the warrenty on that one(it is said warrenty goes of when something is rmoved manually) so i tried the desktop method.. but it din't work, cus my pc dint support usb drive or something idk what it meens oO anyhow. my qeustion is if there is a way to do this(with this method). i do not need to load windows via the usb harddisk just install it on the harddisk and then putt harddisk back in laptop to get it working. please ...

Tiger install...without using a cd-rom drive
Well...I know theres a way to do this. But could anybody help me out? My cd-rom on my imac broke, but I made .dmg's on my other computer and shoved them over to my mac over the network. Now I have 5 cd images but can''t figure out how to boot my mac using those disc images. Isn't it in disc utility? I can't repartition anything on my drive, all the options on the right are greyed out. * posted via http://www.mymac.ws * please report abuse to http://xinbox.com/mymac bobsbarricades <jpathak@stetson-dot-edu.no-spam.invalid> wrote: > Well...I know theres a way t...

Re: Installing VMS without a bootable CD-ROM drive
From: "Robert Jarratt" <nospam@nosp.am> > If you have a working RRD42 I would happily buy it. WHY??? See, for example: http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.vms/browse_thread/thread/280a07fa77fc2935/50c9bd3a53ccf64f In my experience, oodles of CD-ROM drives work just fine on a VAXstation 3100 model 38, and practically all of them are faster than an RRD42, and most of them don't need a caddy, either. I'd expect that a resonably thorough Google search would find plenty of recommendations (mine and others) of newer/faster/better drives. An RRD42 would be a...

Installing Windows XP using F6 in a PC without a floppy drive?
Some drivers (for a RAID in my case) are provided by Dell exclusively in floppy format. Like most PCs these days, mine does not have an idea what a floppy drive is. Perhaps I should buy a floppy drive with a USB interface? Will it work at the WinXP OS install (F6) level? Thx, -Ramon On 6/8/2010 6:57 PM, Ramon F Herrera wrote: > > Some drivers (for a RAID in my case) are provided by Dell exclusively > in floppy format. > > Like most PCs these days, mine does not have an idea what a floppy > drive is. > > Perhaps I should buy a floppy drive wi...

FS: IBM THINKPAD 600 Internal CD-ROM drive 24X
IBM THINKPAD 600 Internal CD-ROM drive 24X http://cgi.benl.ebay.be/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4127453708&category=36844 ...

Restore Windows XP MBR without setup CD or floppy drive
I purchased a laptop and installed Linux dual-boot using GRUB on the MBR. Now I've decided I want to return the laptop to the store. I want to wipe the Linux partition and restore the original Windows XP MBR. Two problems: 1. I have no Windows XP Setup CD. 2. The laptop has no built-in floppy drive. Any suggestions on how to proceed? Thanks, David David Wake wrote: > 1. I have no Windows XP Setup CD. > 2. The laptop has no built-in floppy drive. .... not sure if you can do this w/o the eXPensive CD: * fixmbr * fixboot .. -- << http://michaeljtobler.homelinux.com/ ...

Re: Installing VMS without a bootable CD-ROM drive #2
From: "Robert Jarratt" <nospam@nosp.am> > I have resolved the problem where I could not mount the CD so I thought I > would try this technique (ie backup/image of vms073.b from the CD). The > problem is that I cannot find the saveset on the bootable CD, is it somehow > "hidden"? Not unless you call the [000000] directory hidden. It might help if you disclosed how you got where you are and what you did which didn't find the file(s) of interest. My psychic powers seem to be ebbing today. --------------------------------------------------------...

Re: Installing VMS without a bootable CD-ROM drive #3
From: "Robert Jarratt" <nospam@nosp.am> > I had forgotten all about [000000] (it was almost 20 years ago when I last > used VMS), I had been trying [*...] to find it, it did not occur to me to > specify my directory specification as I thought I had done a directory > listing of the whole disk already. For the record, VMS VAX installation save sets (VMS%%%.%) must be in the [000000] directory, or else the installation will fail. (VMS%%%.B may be an exception, when it's handled manually, outside the normal installation procedure, but it's normally fou...

Installing Windows XP using F6 in a PC without a floppy drive?
Some drivers (for a RAID in my case) are provided by Dell exclusively in floppy format. Like most PCs these days, mine does not have an idea what a floppy drive is. Perhaps I should buy a floppy drive with a USB interface? Will it work at the WinXP OS install (F6) level? Thx, -Ramon On 6/8/2010 6:57 PM, Ramon F Herrera wrote: > > Some drivers (for a RAID in my case) are provided by Dell exclusively > in floppy format. > > Like most PCs these days, mine does not have an idea what a floppy > drive is. > > Perhaps I should buy a floppy drive wi...

Re: Installing VMS without a bootable CD-ROM drive #5
From: "P. Sture" <paul.sture.nospam@hispeed.ch> > > For the record, VMS VAX installation save sets (VMS%%%.%) must be in > > the [000000] directory, or else the installation will fail. (VMS%%%.B > > may be an exception, when it's handled manually, outside the normal > > installation procedure, but it's normally found in the same place as the > > others, and they must be in [000000].) > > Is the [000000] restriction still true? Maybe I'm dreaming, but I > thought it had been relaxed at some point. According to the &qu...

FA: IBM Thinkpad Laptop 390E/333/14in/128MB/6.4G/CD/FLOPPY
On EBAY: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=140083&item=300071096073 This computer is in nice operating condition, 14 inch screen has no bad pixels. Model 390E, type 2626 ENU. Battery included, but does not hold charge. Unit has CDROM and 1.44 inch floppy drives together internally in same unit. No operating system, but I took photo Windows 98 desktop before clearing hard drive. Install your own OS when unit arrives. Screen: High Resolution 1024X768 Max, Optical: 24 x CD ROM included. Internet: 56 k Modem, AC adaptor is included along with docking sta...

installing without floppy drive?
Does anybody know how to install os/2 without a floppy drive? The laptop I'm using does not have one, just a cdrom (which is bootable). What's the best way to go about the install? Burn each floppy image onto cd? (strikes me as a bit wasteful, and does the installer complain when it asks for the warp cd and it is in the same drive as what it thinks is the floppy drive?) Has somebody put together a cd image that is bootable by chance? I'm not in a possition to take the drive out and put it in another laptop to get the install rolling, what other options are there?...

SuSE on laptop with NO floppy or CD drive
Hi all, I am getting a Panasonic Toughbook R1 this Friday, and am going to try to install SuSE over the network. However, this notebook lacks FDD and CDROM drives. I am fairly inexperienced, but as far as I can tell, it can be done without floppies or CDs... I looked around at Linux.org and found the following HOWTO: linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/Network-boot-HOWTO/index.html Part 6.1.-- BOOTP or DHCP capable NICs is the part that makes me think that this is definitely possible The only problem is that the guide gives very little detail on how to actually boot from the network. It just tells me that once I set up a DHCP client that I am done, but I am not sure how to do this, and what I do after??? Once I get the laptop booted I am fairly sure that I won't have a problem FTPing the install... Oh and if this all goes to hell on me, I have a backup plan: alfalab.com/toughbook.html Someone else used a USB CDROM successfully (but I would rather save my $$$) Well any suggestions or pointers will be appreciated!!! Thanks, Dean -- Using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/ Mingo <thejesus@godmail.com> wrote: > I am fairly inexperienced, but as far as I can tell, it can be done without > floppies or CDs... If your laptop has an internal network card and can boot from network, you should be able to setup a remote installation server, otherwise a dirty-quick solution is to...

eCS: how to install without a CD drive?
If I was wanting to install eCS without a CD drive, how would this be done? Warp 4 had Remote Install, which I have used often and which works well. -- Regards, Al S. On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 21:31:38 -0600, Al Savage <asavage@iname.com> wrote: > If I was wanting to install eCS without a CD drive, how would this be > done? > > Warp 4 had Remote Install, which I have used often and which works well. There is a Remote Install for eCS on the ecomstation.com site. It's still beta, and I'd appreciate testers. :) For some reason I can't get it to show up when I do...

installation qnx without cd-rom
Hello. I have problem with installation qnx 4.2 on very old pc. 75 MHz, 8MB RAM, 800MB HDD, LG-CD-ROM(RW)... there is no option in bios setup to boot from the cd-rom, Ihave made floppy boot disc. But! the qnx installation program is shoting down when he is detecting cd drive... what now? Thanks. zaspa ...

laptop with only floppy drive: install with pccard?
I have a laptop with a floppy drive ( pentium, 32 M main memory, 1GB disc) Today, pccards are available with 1 and 2 Gbyte, ( CF card and adapter ) to be used in a laptop. Would it be possible to copy the iso file to a CF card, and use this as install medium instead of a CD rom? What should be done with the FAT file system that CF cards use normally? What device files uses minix3 for pc cards, and does the boot floppy search these devices? Suggestions ? Thanks, Frits fvleeuwen <fritsvleeuwen@gmail.com> wrote: > I have a laptop with a floppy drive ( pentium, 32 M main memory, 1GB ...

Laptop installation without cdrom or floppy ?
I have an old laptop which has a cdrom and a floppy, however I cannot boot off either of these but they both appear to operate ok once an OS is loaded. :-( There are existing FAT32 and Slackware partitions on the HDD. Is it possible to copy the FreeBSD /bin etc to the HDD Fat32 partition and then install FreeBSD from the HDD without using the cdrom or floppy until /stand/sysinstall ? thanx Grant glc <g//l//c@clear.net.nz> wrote in message news:<3fab3786$1@clear.net.nz>... > I have an old laptop which has a cdrom and a floppy, however I cannot > boot off either of these but they both appear to operate ok once an OS > is loaded. :-( > > There are existing FAT32 and Slackware partitions on the HDD. > > Is it possible to copy the FreeBSD /bin etc to the HDD Fat32 partition > and then install FreeBSD from the HDD without using the cdrom or floppy > until /stand/sysinstall ? > > thanx > > Grant No way. You need at least either cdrom or floppy to boot up the system with BSD installation first. Check the floppies you have created for installation. There is no reason for a laptop which cann't be booted up from a floppy driver. Good luck. In article <3fab3786$1@clear.net.nz>, glc <g//l//c@clear.net.nz> wrote: % I have an old laptop which has a cdrom and a floppy, however I cannot % boot off either of these but they both appear to operate ok once an OS...

Linux install without a CD drive
Hello, I'm looking for a way to install linux to an old laptop. Unfortunately the CD drive in the laptop no linger works and is cost prohibitive to repair/replace. I do have a CD drive connected via USB but the system won't boot from it. Any ideas, possibly boot from a floppy and then continue install from CD's. Thanks in Advance Steve Steve <samckain@home.net> writes: >Hello, > I'm looking for a way to install linux to an old laptop. >Unfortunately the CD drive in the laptop no linger works and is cost >prohibitive to repair/replace. I do...

Can desktop's CD-ROM use for Laptop CD-ROM?
To All Comp Guru I have a laptop but its cd-rom doesn't work any more (i know this when i try to instal windows 98 back to the laptop) and i happen to fdisk my laptop's hard drive. Are there any ways that i can use my Desktop's cd-rom to instal windows 98 back on to my laptop? Thank You Very Much THeoRem25 ...

Windows installed in a CD like knoppix or a full system windows running from a CD
I have a cousin who has an Internet Cafe and I used all the restrictions that I can in windows xp to protect the system about virus and user's programs. But is imposible to have clean the system. I have seen the Cd of KNOPPIX and it is great because it run from the cd. I need to know if I can do something like this with windows, it can help me a lot because I probably have to format the machines every three months. Thanks for help me. Nelo On 11 Sep 2003 21:10:50 -0700, nelo@enantigua.com (nelo) wrote: >I have a cousin who has an Internet Cafe and I used all the >restrictio...

Web resources about - how to install windows on IBM thinkpad 240 without CD-ROM or floppy drive? - comp.laptops

ThinkPad - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
ThinkPad is a line of laptop computers and tablets by Lenovo . The series was originally designed, developed, and sold by IBM until Lenovo acquired ...

ThinkPad Tablet Forum
ThinkPad Tablet Forum

Hero on ThinkPad - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
My new mobile phone: HTC Hero.

Lenovo Unboxed: ThinkPad X220t tablet - YouTube
We unbox the Lenovo ThinkPad X220t convertible tablet. Go up to 18 hours unplugged with our slice battery. Choose from among touch, pen or traditional ...

Lenovo unveils Windows 8 ThinkPad Tablet 2
Lenovo unveils Windows 8 ThinkPad Tablet 2

Lenovo toasts ThinkPad at 20 with new laptop, tablet
... unveiling of two new works - from Chinese PC maker Lenovo Group Ltd. Chinese PC maker Lenovo Group Ltd marked the 20th anniversary of the ThinkPad ...

大气沉稳商务本 ThinkPad X230i正热卖_ThinkPad笔记本电脑_笔记本行情-中关村在线
ThinkpadX230i笔记本一直以来都是商务本里的畅销机型,目前这款全新设计的产品正在亚马逊商城促销,最新价格为4599元,这个价格不算贵建议近期有购机计划的朋友关注一下亚马逊商城。亚马逊商城ThinkPadX230i促销Thin。

精中求变 ThinkPad T440简评_网易数码
精中求变 ThinkPad T440简评

Lenovo’s laptops are looking less like Thinkpads and more like MacBook Pros
. This is the new Lenovo IdeaPad U310 (and U410) as it appears in the FCC database . I always wonder if, in the design meetings at Lenovo, they ...

Sure, ThinkPads Sell Well, But What About Brand Lenovo?
He's dropped laptops from planes and sent school science projects into space, but can Lenovo CMO David Roman make the world's No. 2 computer ...