Laptop DVD drive

I am not sure if this is the proper group for this question so I am
sorry if it is not.

I have a laptop with a CD/DVD RW drive.  It has suddenly stopped
playing DVD's. It still reads data and music CD's fine.  When I put a
DVD in the drive it doesn't do anything.  It feels like it is trying
to 'spin up' but just quite can't do it.

I am not in a location where I can take the laptop to a shop to get it
looked at so if any of you have experienced this before and can offer
some help I would appreciate it.

thanks

Eric
0
eric0669
10/16/2003 2:32:43 PM
comp.laptops 2878 articles. 0 followers. bluewatercorvette (11) is leader. Post Follow

Try manually starting your DVD software with a disc in the drive. Can it
play the disc?
Terry

"Eric O" <eric0669@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I am not sure if this is the proper group for this question so I am
> sorry if it is not.
>
> I have a laptop with a CD/DVD RW drive.  It has suddenly stopped
> playing DVD's. It still reads data and music CD's fine.  When I put a
> DVD in the drive it doesn't do anything.  It feels like it is trying
> to 'spin up' but just quite can't do it.
>
> I am not in a location where I can take the laptop to a shop to get it
> looked at so if any of you have experienced this before and can offer
> some help I would appreciate it.
>
> thanks
>
> Eric

0
tc
10/16/2003 6:20:36 PM
Manually start the program that reeads the DVD like WinDVD or POwerDVD.
Other idea, uninstall the DVD program and install it again.

--
Dennis Savatski
"Eric O" <eric0669@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I am not sure if this is the proper group for this question so I am
> sorry if it is not.
>
> I have a laptop with a CD/DVD RW drive.  It has suddenly stopped
> playing DVD's. It still reads data and music CD's fine.  When I put a
> DVD in the drive it doesn't do anything.  It feels like it is trying
> to 'spin up' but just quite can't do it.
>
> I am not in a location where I can take the laptop to a shop to get it
> looked at so if any of you have experienced this before and can offer
> some help I would appreciate it.
>
> thanks
>
> Eric

0
Dennis
10/17/2003 3:05:34 AM
When I manually start the software the DVD still doesn't play.
Window's Media Player doesnt even see a DVD.  For that matter Windows
Explorer doesnt see that there is a DVD in the drive either.

When I put the DVD in it tries to spin up but makes noise like the
lense is moving back and forth trying to read the disk.

"Dennis Savatski" <sava7@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<20Jjb.789388$YN5.782855@sccrnsc01>...
> Manually start the program that reeads the DVD like WinDVD or POwerDVD.
> Other idea, uninstall the DVD program and install it again.
>
> --
> Dennis Savatski
> "Eric O" <eric0669@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > I am not sure if this is the proper group for this question so I am
> > sorry if it is not.
> >
> > I have a laptop with a CD/DVD RW drive.  It has suddenly stopped
> > playing DVD's. It still reads data and music CD's fine.  When I put a
> > DVD in the drive it doesn't do anything.  It feels like it is trying
> > to 'spin up' but just quite can't do it.
> >
> > I am not in a location where I can take the laptop to a shop to get it
> > looked at so if any of you have experienced this before and can offer
> > some help I would appreciate it.
> >
> > thanks
> >
> > Eric
0
eric0669
10/18/2003 5:03:48 AM
You haven't mentioned whether you have tried more than one DVD. Is it a data
DVD you made or a pre-recorded movie?

> When I manually start the software the DVD still doesn't play.
> Window's Media Player doesnt even see a DVD.  For that matter Windows
> Explorer doesnt see that there is a DVD in the drive either.
>
> When I put the DVD in it tries to spin up but makes noise like the
> lense is moving back and forth trying to read the disk.
>

> "Dennis Savatski" <sava7@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > Manually start the program that reeads the DVD like WinDVD or POwerDVD.
> > Other idea, uninstall the DVD program and install it again.
> >
> > --
> > Dennis Savatski
> > "Eric O" <eric0669@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > I am not sure if this is the proper group for this question so I am
> > > sorry if it is not.
> > >
> > > I have a laptop with a CD/DVD RW drive.  It has suddenly stopped
> > > playing DVD's. It still reads data and music CD's fine.  When I put a
> > > DVD in the drive it doesn't do anything.  It feels like it is trying
> > > to 'spin up' but just quite can't do it.
> > >
> > > I am not in a location where I can take the laptop to a shop to get it
> > > looked at so if any of you have experienced this before and can offer
> > > some help I would appreciate it.
> > >
> > > thanks
> > >
> > > Eric

0
tc
10/18/2003 5:58:44 AM
Have you updated anything (software or hardware) before it started going
wrong?
I had a problem playing a DVD with WMP after installing other software -
PowerDVD - different problem to yours because my DVD was recognised but WMP
gave a digital copyright protection error. I noticed a a WMP update on the
windows xp update site and after installing that everything was working
again.

"Eric O" <eric0669@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> When I manually start the software the DVD still doesn't play.
> Window's Media Player doesnt even see a DVD.  For that matter Windows
> Explorer doesnt see that there is a DVD in the drive either.
>
> When I put the DVD in it tries to spin up but makes noise like the
> lense is moving back and forth trying to read the disk.
>

> "Dennis Savatski" <sava7@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > Manually start the program that reeads the DVD like WinDVD or POwerDVD.
> > Other idea, uninstall the DVD program and install it again.
> >
> > --
> > Dennis Savatski
> > "Eric O" <eric0669@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > I am not sure if this is the proper group for this question so I am
> > > sorry if it is not.
> > >
> > > I have a laptop with a CD/DVD RW drive.  It has suddenly stopped
> > > playing DVD's. It still reads data and music CD's fine.  When I put a
> > > DVD in the drive it doesn't do anything.  It feels like it is trying
> > > to 'spin up' but just quite can't do it.
> > >
> > > I am not in a location where I can take the laptop to a shop to get it
> > > looked at so if any of you have experienced this before and can offer
> > > some help I would appreciate it.
> > >
> > > thanks
> > >
> > > Eric

0
Robin
10/18/2003 8:12:00 AM
I have tried almost all of my DVDs witht the same results.  They are
all commercial purchased movies that did work at one time.

Thanks for you continued help.

Eric

"tc" <terrycassidy@msn.com> wrote in message news:<oE4kb.37645$S_.6187@clgrps13>...
> You haven't mentioned whether you have tried more than one DVD. Is it a data
> DVD you made or a pre-recorded movie?
> Terry
>
> "Eric O" <eric0669@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > When I manually start the software the DVD still doesn't play.
> > Window's Media Player doesnt even see a DVD.  For that matter Windows
> > Explorer doesnt see that there is a DVD in the drive either.
> >
> > When I put the DVD in it tries to spin up but makes noise like the
> > lense is moving back and forth trying to read the disk.
> >

> > "Dennis Savatski" <sava7@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > > Manually start the program that reeads the DVD like WinDVD or POwerDVD.
> > > Other idea, uninstall the DVD program and install it again.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Dennis Savatski
> > > "Eric O" <eric0669@yahoo.com> wrote in message

0
eric0669
10/18/2003 10:41:00 AM
Eric O wrote:

> I am not sure if this is the proper group for this question so I am
> sorry if it is not.
>
> I have a laptop with a CD/DVD RW drive.  It has suddenly stopped
> playing DVD's. It still reads data and music CD's fine.  When I put a
> DVD in the drive it doesn't do anything.  It feels like it is trying
> to 'spin up' but just quite can't do it.
>
> I am not in a location where I can take the laptop to a shop to get it
> looked at so if any of you have experienced this before and can offer
> some help I would appreciate it.
>
> thanks
>
> Eric
How fast is your machine? I think you need a 300 or 400 mhz cpu to run a
DVD.
0
tecra

Need external laptop drive case --- for SATA laptop drive
Anyone know where you can get an external USB laptop case (or just a cable type adapter), but for a 2.5" laptop drive that is Serial ATA (SATA) rather than the more mundaten IDE? My new Toshiba laptop has such a drive in it. ...

7200rpm laptop drive killing laptops
Hi, I recently sold a laptop to a customer who wanted the laptop ide drive to be upgraded to a 7200 rpm one. I put in a 60GB "HTS726060M9AT00" Hitachi Drive. He took the laptop, used it for two days and brought the laptop back. I check the usual, ram, hard drive, all the connections to the motherboard. Everything seemed fine but nothing would come on the screen. So I gave the customer a second laptop, with the 7200 rpm Hitachi Drive. He came back again after 2 two days and the laptop is completely dead. The only common thing between the two laptops that I gave to the customer was the...

DVD drives in laptops and DVD+-RW's
Hi, I have 2 laptops, one relatively old (Celeron 800 based) and another relatively new (P4 2.6 based). Both seem to have problems accessing DVD+RW disks. They'll work fine for a bit then die horribly. Under Windows, I get serious video stutter playing dvd movies from DVD+RW's, under Linux xine will pop up an error saying it can no longer read a disk. Large file copies die horribly too. The same disks work fine on my PC's DVD writer. The problem occurs on disks written with both my writer, and a friend's writer. I am at a complete loss now and this is incredibly i...

laptop DVD drive + or -
I bought a laptop with a DVD writer toshiba sd-r6112 but its a + DVD and all my stuff is on - DVDr's so they don't play on it. Whereas normal DVD's work fine. If I get a DVD/CDRW combo drive will all my - DVDr work on it? I don't need a DVD writer for my laptop. ...

laptop dvd drive
Have a friend who has a Dell lattitude, cpxh500gt. Has the interchangeable floppy & cd rom, and he was asking if there is a dvd player that would fit this particular model. Has tried ebay with no luck he says, so thought I would ask here. Thought You guys might know where to point him if there is one. Thanks. G'day Eddie There is a DVD available for that model......I have a CPxH450Gt that is for sale and one of the upgrades was to be a DVD but I chose to get another notebook instead. Anyway, I have a case for a 2nd HDD for the module bay...not sure if the interface is the sam...

Laptop died -- can I switch hard drives between laptops
I'm reasonably handy with computers but I'm kind of stymied on this one. I have a 5 year old Dell Inspiron with a Pentium III and Windows 2000. My laptop just decided to die on me. I'm pretty sure the hard drive is okay, as I replaced the hard drive less than 6 months ago. My question is, there's a lot of data I need to get off of my hard drive. If I take out the hard drive and stick it into another laptop with a Pentium M or a Pentium 4 (or even an AMD), what are the odds that the new laptop will boot up? If my idea above doesn't work, has anyone had experience ...

laptop to laptop copy???
What is the best software (cable) etc to copy the contents of one laptop to another laptop?? I think it use to be "laplink" very expensive avenue!!! Or Bobs copier! Is there a cheaper way to do it. Will laplink actually copy contents of an older laptop such as Toshiba Satelite 20CDT to a newer laptops such as a P4 Notepad with a 20gig HDD in it ???? Joe ********************************************************** * Ham KH6JF AARS/MARS ABM6JF QCWA WW2 VET WD RADIO SYSTEM* * Army MARS PRECEDED by AARS (Army Amateur Radio System) * * Hi State ARMY MARS COORDINA...

Laptop to Laptop by Wireless
Hi Everyone I need some help with a question please? Me and a couple of mates have Wireless Laptops and wanna set up a LAN. Is it possible to do this without going thru a router, kinda like running a "Virtual Router" or something on one laptop and the others connect into it? If it helps we wanna play Civ 3 Conquests Multiplayer, I am pretty sure it either uses TCP/IP. I have set up normal cable networks before at home and have done a quick Google on it to no avail! I have ordered a Netger WGT634UK for the home ready, but this is just if we are at work and wanna have a quick go. ...

What to use for laptop laptopping?
My new Toshiba L35 has vents at various places all over the bottom, so I'm reluctant to just put it on my lap. Is there something that everybody uses as a base that's a little more uptown than the piece of plywood I'm using now? Peabody wrote: > My new Toshiba L35 has vents at various places all over the bottom, > so I'm reluctant to just put it on my lap. Is there something that > everybody uses as a base that's a little more uptown than the piece > of plywood I'm using now? Something like this? http://www.xpad4laptop.com/ -- Notan Notan wrot...

Laptop to Laptop by Wireless
Hi Everyone I need some help with a question please? Me and a couple of mates have Wireless Laptops and wanna set up a LAN. Is it possible to do this without going thru a router, kinda like running a "Virtual Router" or something on one laptop and the others connect into it? If it helps we wanna play Civ 3 Conquests Multiplayer, I am pretty sure it either uses TCP/IP. I have set up normal cable networks before at home and have done a quick Google on it to no avail! I have ordered a Netger WGT634UK for the home ready, but this is just if we are at work and wanna have a quick go. ...

using an old (2000) laptop's dvd drive to read DVD+R or +RW data
My old windows laptop appears not to be able to read a DVD disk with data on it. But it can play a movie. Is this normal? (I suppose back in 2000 there were no DVD burners, so they didn't think/know to have them read data written from a home PC, or what?) What should I look at, if anything, to get the drive to read a data DVD disk? "Tdub" <gripshift5@email.com> writes: > My old windows laptop appears not to be able to read a DVD disk with > data on it. But it can play a movie. Is this normal? If you mean it can only read factory-pressed discs and not recordable dis...

Replacing a DVD drive on a Fujitsu laptop?
Hi, A friend's daughter is using a Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo L7310GW for her studies and it has a Philips SDVD 8431 drive which doesn't seem to want to burn or read what it has burned. Basically, how easy is this unit to replace (by me) and can any other drive be used, as I've read some not very good reviews about this drive? It's out of warranty. Any recommendations would be welcome. Thanks a lot, Andy On Mar 4, 6:32 am, "Andrew Lyall" <andy.ly...@tiscali.co.uk> wrote: > Hi, > > A friend's daughter is using a Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo L7310GW f...

eMachines 6807 laptop dvd drive
I just got the eMachines 6807 last week and am a bit confused. I was under the impression that the dvd/cd drive would be able to read, write and rewrite on dvd + r ,dvd+rw,dvd-r and dvd-rw. My drive only allows me to write and rewrite on dvd -r and dvd -rw. Did I read the specs wrong or is my drive actually supposed to also support this technology? Thanks for any info! L Should do both if the drive is labeled such. Try a different disc - DVD drives tend to be very picky. the outside of the drive says DVD+Rewritable. All the specs on the websites say DVD+/-RW Drive. Under "My Compute...

Ide cable for laptop dvd drive
Hello, Does anyone know if there is a cable to change a laptop dvd drive for use with a desk top computer?. If so where can one be had? TIA Different mfg drives have different connectors so there's not one for all applications. There may be one for specific models but I haven't seen one. -- ---------------------------------------------------------------- "nospam" <jo1253@aol.comnospamwe> wrote in message news:20030928175029.01780.00000446@mb-m10.aol.com... > Hello, Does anyone know if there is a cable to change a laptop dvd drive for > use with a desk top c...

Web resources about - Laptop DVD drive - comp.laptops

Laptop - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
They are also sometimes called notebook computers or notebooks . Laptops are commonly used in a variety of settings, including work, education, ...

The Pulse of Mobile Tech - Technology News and Views from LAPTOP Magazine
Remember in high school when you were assigned a sack of flour and you had to treat it as your baby for a week? This social project has just ...

Laptops Stolen From Facebook’s Former HQ In Palo Alto, Recovered, Arrests Made
An off-duty security guard and his accomplice were arrested following the theft of 49 laptops from Facebook’s former headquarters in Palo Alto ...

Laptop Screen
We provide Laptop Screen,HP Laptop screen,Dell laptop screen,Acer laptop screen to the world. - http://www.usa-laptop-screen.com/ . Do you need ...

Tech News, Reviews, Latest Gadgets & Technology News, Mobile, Tablet, Laptop, Gaming, Tech, Photos, Videos ...
Tech News, Reviews, Latest Gadgets & Technology News including Mobile, Tablet, Laptop, Gaming, Tech, Photos, Videos at NDTVGadgets.com. Get the ...

Toshiba laptops (@toshibalaptops) on Twitter

Abby – Letters Laptop (Alphabet, Letter Quiz and Letter Recognition) - Learning Games for Kids (Toddler ...
Get Abby – Letters Laptop (Alphabet, Letter Quiz and Letter Recognition) - Learning Games for Kids (Toddler, Preschool) HD on the App Store. ...

EFF letter for Vista laptop auction - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
See the blog post for more info: Windows Vista Laptop on eBay, Proceeds Going To EFF auction: cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160068144458 ...

9to5Toys Lunch Break: iPad Air $299, UE MEGABOOM (refurb) $180, SwissGear Laptop Backpack $40, more
... Ears MEGABOOM Bluetooth speaker (Refurb) $180 , ViewSonic 28-inch 4K LED Monitor $275 , more Amazon Gold Box: Top-rated SwissGear Laptop Backpacks ...

Huawei reportedly getting into the laptop business
... be surprised if that proves true. The more likely scenario is that some of the Chinese sources got the facts mixed up and that the Huawei laptop ...