Laptop running slow

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

I have a IBM thinkpad 560X laptop w/o CD-ROM drive. The laptop runs very
slowly, I feel there is a virus. I have a Norton antivirus installed, but
still I feel there is a virus. Moreover, my screen has these patches which
are visible once the computer is switched on. I didn't hv this problem b4,
but now when I surf the net, it takes extremely long time to get to any
website. It's terrible.

Can anyone out there help me with this problem, I would really appreciate
it. Thanks.

Sunny

0
Reply sunny 7/17/2003 2:12:23 AM

See related articles to this posting

sounds like you have spy software running.
These are not detected as virus.
get SpySweeper, it is a cleanner.
good luck,

--
http://sava7.hotfire.net
Dennis Savatski
"sunny" <sunnyp@ouhk.hknet.com> wrote in message
> I have a IBM thinkpad 560X laptop w/o CD-ROM drive. The laptop runs very
> slowly, I feel there is a virus. I have a Norton antivirus installed, but
> still I feel there is a virus. Moreover, my screen has these patches which
> are visible once the computer is switched on. I didn't hv this problem b4,
> but now when I surf the net, it takes extremely long time to get to any
> website. It's terrible.
>
> Can anyone out there help me with this problem, I would really appreciate
> it. Thanks.
>
> Sunny

0
Reply Dennis 7/17/2003 4:35:19 PM

"Dennis Savatski" <sava7@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<bfARa.82219$N7.10660@sccrnsc03>...
> sounds like you have spy software running.
> These are not detected as virus.
> get SpySweeper, it is a cleanner.
> good luck,

Keep in mind you're running a 200~233 MHz processor with 32~96MB RAM,
and have at least one active program running in the background. I have
a 560x also; nice little laptop but not a powerhouse.

Update your antivirus program and check your computer thoroughly. Run
a spyware checker immediately after.  If that doesn't help -

Disable any programs running in the background.  Make sure you have
enough disk space free.  Then disable your antivirus and surf a couple
of "safe" sites to see if that speeds things up.
0
Reply alordofchaos 7/18/2003 2:54:59 PM
comp.laptops 2876 articles. 5 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Laptops all run slow?
I purchased a Dell D800 (1.6 GHz) laptop last month and notice that it usually runs between 200 MHz and 800 MHz. This laptop has the Centrino processor in it. The Centrino processor was advertised by several laptop manufacturers as a low power processor that outperforms the standard 2.4 GHz Pentiums. This is because it's suppose to not slow down due to getting too hot. My question is: Is this typical for all laptop machines or is there something wrong with my machine? I can't imagine a 2.4 GHz processor running at less than 500 MHz on a regular basis. Thanks in advance. Somet...

Do all laptops run slow?
I purchased a Dell D800 (1.6 GHz) laptop last month and notice that it usually runs between 200 MHz and 800 MHz. This laptop has the Centrino processor in it. The Centrino processor was advertised by several laptop manufacturers as a low power processor that outperforms the standard 2.4 GHz Pentiums. This is because it's suppose to not slow down due to getting too hot. My question is: Is this typical for all laptop machines or is there something wrong with my machine? I can't imagine a 2.4 GHz processor running at less than 500 MHz on a regular basis. Thanks in advance. Dep...

Slow running laptop with Redhat 9
I recently installed Redhat 9 on a Toshiba Satellite 2805-S202. System specifications are as follows: PIII 733, 128Mb ram, 10Gb hd, 8Mb video ram on Savage IX video card. Screen res - 1024x768 high color Partitions: hda1 - 102Mb, hda2 9233Mb, hda3 251Mb hda1 - 19% used - hda2 - 39% used Average ~75-80 processes running - is this way too much? Tested disk speed with hdparm -Tt: [root@localhost smaxell]# /sbin/hdparm -Tt /dev/hda /dev/hda: Timing buffer-cache reads: 128 MB in 1.04 seconds =123.08 MB/sec Timing buffered disk reads: 64 MB in 4.09 seconds = 15.65 MB/sec ...

BF1942 running dead slow on Compaq Laptop
Hello, I have a compaq Evo, 256ram, 32mb ati mob 7500, under properties, it states 4-M Intel 2.00Ghz and 1.2Ghz ??? Anyhow, running BF1942 runs very slow and jerky, this is on 640x480x16 and everything turned down. I have read other ppl's post with similar setup being able to run it smoothly on higher settings. I am able to run Wolf3D in 800x600x32 smoothly. Am I missing anything? Im open to any suggestion, thanks in advance ! -Phil > I have a compaq Evo, 256ram, 32mb ati mob 7500, under properties, it > states 4-M Intel 2.00Ghz and 1.2Ghz ??? > > Anyhow, r...

Program written in Clarion running VERY slow on desktops but FAST on laptops
Hello, Our company just purchased a program written in Clarion that imports a flat file and then exports it in an EDI format. The laptop I'm running the program on is a Intel Centrino Duo w/ 1.8 GHz and 2 megs of RAM. This imports and does it's thing at about 100 records a second. On the other hand, the desktop computer we're trying to run it on is an Intel Core 2 Duo w/ 2.4 GHz and 2 megs of RAM. This imports at about 1 record a second. We can't figure out for the life of us why it's so much slower on a beefier machine. I've ran it on other comparable desktops and lap...

Trying to Identify what's wrong with this laptop I'm refurbing... it's running super slow...
I picked up a throw away Compaq Armada E500 a while back that has some pretty nasty looking plastic external case damage, and am just now getting around to having a look at it to see what's worth saving and what's really e-waste, or if I should buy a couple plastic panels for it.. fix it up.. and parhaps she'll be good as new. I formatted a little trial 3GB drive in NTFS, laid down a fresh copy of Win2kPro, installed all the latest drivers from compaq and service packs and critical updates from MS. I was hoping at some point during the patching and driver updating, that the syste...

Trying to Identify what's wrong with this laptop I'm refurbing... it's running super slow...
I picked up a throw away Compaq Armada E500 a while back that has some pretty nasty looking plastic external case damage, and am just now getting around to having a look at it to see what's worth saving and what's really e-waste, or if I should buy a couple plastic panels for it.. fix it up.. and parhaps she'll be good as new. I formatted a little trial 3GB drive in NTFS, laid down a fresh copy of Win2kPro, installed all the latest drivers from compaq and service packs and critical updates from MS. I was hoping at some point during the patching and driver updating, that the syste...

Trying to Identify what's wrong with this laptop I'm refurbing... it's running super slow... #2
I picked up a throw away Compaq Armada E500 a while back that has some pretty nasty looking plastic external case damage, and am just now getting around to having a look at it to see what's worth saving and what's really e-waste, or if I should buy a couple plastic panels for it.. fix it up.. and parhaps she'll be good as new. I formatted a little trial 3GB drive in NTFS, laid down a fresh copy of Win2kPro, installed all the latest drivers from compaq and service packs and critical updates from MS. I was hoping at some point during the patching and driver updating, that the syste...

sql running slow when run from java but runs fine when run from toad
A sql statement is taking a long time to run from Java, but it runs quicky from Toad. I am on 10.1.0 on Windows. Can anybody tell me where to look at? Thanks. I am pasting two trace files below. This is the TRACE File generated when i run the query from TOAD: ***************************************************************************************************** Dump file c:\oracle\product\10.1.0\admin\saracenp\udump\saracenp_ora_6028.trc Thu May 04 16:40:48 2006 ORACLE V10.1.0.2.0 - Production vsnsta=0 vsnsql=13 vsnxtr=3 Oracle Database 10g Release 10.1.0.2.0 - Production Windows Server 2003...

Samba running running slow...
I installed RH 9 on a box and Samba ran great: copying files from the NT box to the Linux box and visa versa. Then I tried to recompile Apache with some additional extensions to PHP only to get the system fairly well tied up, so I reinstalled Apache and the other servers from the RH disks which I believe included Samba. Now my copying files to Linux is very slow, but coming the other way is fast. Not being proficient with Linux, I am not sure where to look for the problem. Any suggestions? Todd On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 13:39:32 GMT, Todd Cary <todd@aristesoftware.com>...

My laptop is very very slow!
I have an Acer Aspire 5515-5831 that is running at about 20% of the normal speed. It drives me crazy! 2 gig memory. Windows Vista home w/service pack 1. Plenty of hard disk. I just cleaned the disk. It's not swapping to disk. I've checked for virus using Avast - the latest version. I've used Malwarebytes and AdAware full scan. They found a few, but I had them cleaned. I ran it again, with zero results the 2nd time. Ideas, anyone? TIA, Paul In news:4c446496$0$11809$bbae4d71@news.suddenlink.net "Paul H" <NoSpamphobergNoSpam@att.net> wrote: > I ...

Running Slow
Dear All, I'm using Clarion 6.3 and SQL Server 2005 as database. And now my data record is about 63.000 record. I Have some problems according those number of record. The problems is : - When I browse those records from browse menu it takes about 5-10 second to show all of the record (quite slow) - When OK button were selected to save record the process run quite slow (taking 5-6 seconds) until browse menu data are ready to take another command (Insert,change, or delete) Can not imagine what would be happened cause the record will turn bigger everyday. Please any one tell me an informat...

I am running a VI with 8 Booleans that serve as selections. Why does it run so slow?
Do the boolean indicators slow down LAbVIEW? You don't give enough information. Post an example, or at least explain what you mean by "serve as selections". Boolean indicators are quite fast - they don't occupy ANY time unless they actually change state. Did you add a wait statement to your loop of at least 1ms? Greetings, Andr� Buurman "jcra2911" <x@no.email> schreef in bericht news:50650000000800000010D10000-1079395200000@exchange.ni.com... > Do the boolean indicators slow down LAbVIEW? Not that I experienced. Unless you are in a loop, where you ...

[News] Chinese Laptops Run GNU/Linux, Can't Run Windows

Application running too slow on Sun SPARC Enterprise T5440 but run normal on sun M3000
I have application running on sun server T5440 4x8x1.4 GHz, 64 GB RAM, appl= ication running very slow though load average too low. when I install my ap= plication on another server SUN M3000 (One CPU 1x8x2.5GHz, 8GB RAM), applic= ation run smoothly. Here is my server T5440 info: bash-3.00# uname -a SunOS 5.10 Generic_142909-17 sun4v sparc SUNW,T5440 Psrinfo -pv bash-3.00# psrinfo -pv The physical processor has 64 virtual processors (0-63) UltraSPARC-T2+ (chipid 0, clock 1414 MHz) The physical processor has 64 virtual processors (64-127) UltraSPA...

Arch Linux crapware: laptop runs 30% hotter vs Win7, fan runs all the time
"I installed Arch Linux on my laptop (Core i7 Sandy Bridge), and I'm noticing that CPU is running much more hotter than Windows 7. On Windows 7, the same machine runs on 50�C, but in Arch Linux it runs on 65�C, and the fan stay blowing air permanently (while on Windows it stays really quiet)." https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=132102 "Linux just works" various lying idiots "MS is doomed" various shrieking idiots On Wed, 21 Dec 2011 21:33:25 -0500, DFS wrote: > "I installed Arch Linux on my laptop (Core i7 Sandy Bridge), and I'm...

Amazon's top selling laptop doesn't run Windows or Mac OS, it runs Linux
By SJVN [quote] We all know now that Windows 8 sales have been.... disappointing. You can blame the hardware. You can blame Windows 8's mixed-up interfaces. You can blame the rise of tablets and smartphones. Whatever. The bottom line is Windows 8 PC and laptop sales have been slow. So, what, according to Amazon, in this winter of Windows 8 discontent has been the best selling laptop? It's Samsung's ARM-powered, Linux-based Chromebook. Shocked? Amazed? Why? The Chromebook has several things going for it. [/quote] Full article: http://www.zdnet.com/amazons-top-...

Amazon's top selling laptop doesn't run Windows or Mac OS, it runs Linux #2
http://goo.gl/xRymh <quote> We all know now that Windows 8 sales have been.... disappointing.You can blame the hardware. You can blame Windows 8's mixed-up interfaces. You can blame the rise of tablets and smartphones. Whatever. The bottom line is Windows 8 PC and laptop sales have been slow. So, what, according to Amazon, in this winter of Windows 8 discontent has been the best selling laptop? It's Samsung's ARM-powered, Linux-based Chromebook. </quote> -- Big Brother is watching ... so are we On 1/11/2013 3:24 AM, Robin T Cox wrote: > ht...

Slow running display
I am creating a 'realtime' graph display where the graph is continually plotted until the user selects a stop button. The graph window scrolls along as the new values are plotted. After the user has stopped the display from running they can return and view earlier plots via the use of a slider. This code I already have working. The code to be executed is show below. The problem I have is that although it works and the graph is plotted, as the time advances the plotting of the display becomes very slow. At the start of the sequence the time between TIC TOC is approx 0.015 second...

My computer is running slow?
Below are steps for Microsoft Windows that should help speed up the computer or determine why the computer is running slow. ... Log on : http://www.tipss4u.bravehost.com ...

Query running very very slow
This is the query: SELECT DISTINCT A.id FROM B INNER JOIN A ON A.id=B.artist WHERE B.artist != 2444 AND B.artist != 92874 AND (A.surname LIKE 'james brown %' OR A.name LIKE 'james brown%') LIMIT 3; A: 230,848 rows B: 386,933 rows A has indexes on: id, name, surname B has indexes on: artist id: int 4 name and surname: varchar 70 Query execution time: 2.34 sec If i execute a query like this: SELECT DISTINCT A.id FROM B INNER JOIN A ON A.id=B.artist WHERE (A.surname LIKE 'james brown%' OR A.name LIKE 'james brown%') LIMIT 3; the execution time is: 0.00 sec I...

Program slows as I run it
Hi, I wrote a program that basically takes one element at a time from a large file (>one million lines) and searches some arrays etc. and spits out data. Problem is that after I start it, it slowly grinds to a crawl as it runs. I've re-written it several ways so as not to chew up my RAM (windows says over 700MB free!) Any thoughts on how to approach this problem? Is this a CPU cache problem? Thanks Dan "Daniel Miller" <dgmiller@u.washington.edu> writes: > Hi, I wrote a program that basically takes one element at a time from a > large file (>one million li...

Software running slow
hi everyone, I have a function that, accordingly to the profile report, slows down my whole program. Here is the profile report: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- time calls line 1 function A_star_par = heap_link_A_Star(A_star_par,y,x) 2 3 % remove y from the root list of A_star_par.openset 0.03 107481 4 left_node = A_star_par.left(y); 0.05 107481 5 right_node = A_star_par.right(y); ...

laptop slows down to a crawl
Last Friday my IBM X40 Thinkpad (WinXP Pro) was running fine. On Monday when I started it up-----not slow, but horribly slow. I couldn't even get anything to run. However, the desktop comes up. Today, it took me 2 1/2 hours just to restart--and I did in Safe mode. Then I used restore point to go back to earlier time. This worked. BUT now the Norton AV 2007 I installed from CD in December refuses to run, saying it is not authenticated. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Mahl "Mahlon Wagner" <mwagner2@twcny.rr.com> wrote in message news...