Laptop running slow

I have a IBM thinkpad 560X laptop w/o CD-ROM drive. The laptop runs very
slowly, I feel there is a virus. I have a Norton antivirus installed, but
still I feel there is a virus. Moreover, my screen has these patches which
are visible once the computer is switched on. I didn't hv this problem b4,
but now when I surf the net, it takes extremely long time to get to any
website. It's terrible.

Can anyone out there help me with this problem, I would really appreciate
it. Thanks.

Sunny

0
sunny
7/17/2003 2:12:23 AM
comp.laptops 2878 articles. 0 followers. bluewatercorvette (11) is leader. Post Follow

sounds like you have spy software running.
These are not detected as virus.
get SpySweeper, it is a cleanner.
good luck,

--
http://sava7.hotfire.net
Dennis Savatski
"sunny" <sunnyp@ouhk.hknet.com> wrote in message
> I have a IBM thinkpad 560X laptop w/o CD-ROM drive. The laptop runs very
> slowly, I feel there is a virus. I have a Norton antivirus installed, but
> still I feel there is a virus. Moreover, my screen has these patches which
> are visible once the computer is switched on. I didn't hv this problem b4,
> but now when I surf the net, it takes extremely long time to get to any
> website. It's terrible.
>
> Can anyone out there help me with this problem, I would really appreciate
> it. Thanks.
>
> Sunny

0
Dennis
7/17/2003 4:35:19 PM
"Dennis Savatski" <sava7@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<bfARa.82219$N7.10660@sccrnsc03>...
> sounds like you have spy software running.
> These are not detected as virus.
> get SpySweeper, it is a cleanner.
> good luck,

Keep in mind you're running a 200~233 MHz processor with 32~96MB RAM,
and have at least one active program running in the background. I have
a 560x also; nice little laptop but not a powerhouse.

Update your antivirus program and check your computer thoroughly. Run
a spyware checker immediately after.  If that doesn't help -

Disable any programs running in the background.  Make sure you have
enough disk space free.  Then disable your antivirus and surf a couple
of "safe" sites to see if that speeds things up.
0
alordofchaos

Do all laptops run slow?
I purchased a Dell D800 (1.6 GHz) laptop last month and notice that it usually runs between 200 MHz and 800 MHz. This laptop has the Centrino processor in it. The Centrino processor was advertised by several laptop manufacturers as a low power processor that outperforms the standard 2.4 GHz Pentiums. This is because it's suppose to not slow down due to getting too hot. My question is: Is this typical for all laptop machines or is there something wrong with my machine? I can't imagine a 2.4 GHz processor running at less than 500 MHz on a regular basis. Thanks in advance. Dep...

Laptops all run slow?
I purchased a Dell D800 (1.6 GHz) laptop last month and notice that it usually runs between 200 MHz and 800 MHz. This laptop has the Centrino processor in it. The Centrino processor was advertised by several laptop manufacturers as a low power processor that outperforms the standard 2.4 GHz Pentiums. This is because it's suppose to not slow down due to getting too hot. My question is: Is this typical for all laptop machines or is there something wrong with my machine? I can't imagine a 2.4 GHz processor running at less than 500 MHz on a regular basis. Thanks in advance. Somet...

Laptop to Laptop by Wireless
Hi Everyone I need some help with a question please? Me and a couple of mates have Wireless Laptops and wanna set up a LAN. Is it possible to do this without going thru a router, kinda like running a "Virtual Router" or something on one laptop and the others connect into it? If it helps we wanna play Civ 3 Conquests Multiplayer, I am pretty sure it either uses TCP/IP. I have set up normal cable networks before at home and have done a quick Google on it to no avail! I have ordered a Netger WGT634UK for the home ready, but this is just if we are at work and wanna have a quick go. ...

Laptop to Laptop by Wireless
Hi Everyone I need some help with a question please? Me and a couple of mates have Wireless Laptops and wanna set up a LAN. Is it possible to do this without going thru a router, kinda like running a "Virtual Router" or something on one laptop and the others connect into it? If it helps we wanna play Civ 3 Conquests Multiplayer, I am pretty sure it either uses TCP/IP. I have set up normal cable networks before at home and have done a quick Google on it to no avail! I have ordered a Netger WGT634UK for the home ready, but this is just if we are at work and wanna have a quick go. ...

laptop to laptop copy???
What is the best software (cable) etc to copy the contents of one laptop to another laptop?? I think it use to be "laplink" very expensive avenue!!! Or Bobs copier! Is there a cheaper way to do it. Will laplink actually copy contents of an older laptop such as Toshiba Satelite 20CDT to a newer laptops such as a P4 Notepad with a 20gig HDD in it ???? Joe ********************************************************** * Ham KH6JF AARS/MARS ABM6JF QCWA WW2 VET WD RADIO SYSTEM* * Army MARS PRECEDED by AARS (Army Amateur Radio System) * * Hi State ARMY MARS COORDINA...

What to use for laptop laptopping?
My new Toshiba L35 has vents at various places all over the bottom, so I'm reluctant to just put it on my lap. Is there something that everybody uses as a base that's a little more uptown than the piece of plywood I'm using now? Peabody wrote: > My new Toshiba L35 has vents at various places all over the bottom, > so I'm reluctant to just put it on my lap. Is there something that > everybody uses as a base that's a little more uptown than the piece > of plywood I'm using now? Something like this? http://www.xpad4laptop.com/ -- Notan Notan wrot...

Slow running laptop with Redhat 9
I recently installed Redhat 9 on a Toshiba Satellite 2805-S202. System specifications are as follows: PIII 733, 128Mb ram, 10Gb hd, 8Mb video ram on Savage IX video card. Screen res - 1024x768 high color Partitions: hda1 - 102Mb, hda2 9233Mb, hda3 251Mb hda1 - 19% used - hda2 - 39% used Average ~75-80 processes running - is this way too much? Tested disk speed with hdparm -Tt: [root@localhost smaxell]# /sbin/hdparm -Tt /dev/hda /dev/hda: Timing buffer-cache reads: 128 MB in 1.04 seconds =123.08 MB/sec Timing buffered disk reads: 64 MB in 4.09 seconds = 15.65 MB/sec ...

BF1942 running dead slow on Compaq Laptop
Hello, I have a compaq Evo, 256ram, 32mb ati mob 7500, under properties, it states 4-M Intel 2.00Ghz and 1.2Ghz ??? Anyhow, running BF1942 runs very slow and jerky, this is on 640x480x16 and everything turned down. I have read other ppl's post with similar setup being able to run it smoothly on higher settings. I am able to run Wolf3D in 800x600x32 smoothly. Am I missing anything? Im open to any suggestion, thanks in advance ! -Phil > I have a compaq Evo, 256ram, 32mb ati mob 7500, under properties, it > states 4-M Intel 2.00Ghz and 1.2Ghz ??? > > Anyhow, r...

My laptop is very very slow!
I have an Acer Aspire 5515-5831 that is running at about 20% of the normal speed. It drives me crazy! 2 gig memory. Windows Vista home w/service pack 1. Plenty of hard disk. I just cleaned the disk. It's not swapping to disk. I've checked for virus using Avast - the latest version. I've used Malwarebytes and AdAware full scan. They found a few, but I had them cleaned. I ran it again, with zero results the 2nd time. Ideas, anyone? TIA, Paul In news:4c446496$0$11809$bbae4d71@news.suddenlink.net "Paul H" <NoSpamphobergNoSpam@att.net> wrote: > I ...

LG laptops and laptop keyboards
Hello folks. I am considering an LG laptop (W1pro) and have read in their website they have an "ER" keyboard with enhanced tactile sensation. Anyone has any experience with this? How would you rate LG laptop keyboards against other laptop keyboards? Any personal experience with this brand of laptops? Thank you in advance ...

Laptop to Laptop by Wireless #2
Hi Everyone I need some help with a question please? Me and a couple of mates have Wireless Laptops and wanna set up a LAN. Is it possible to do this without going thru a router, kinda like running a "Virtual Router" or something on one laptop and the others connect into it? If it helps we wanna play Civ 3 Conquests Multiplayer, I am pretty sure it either uses TCP/IP. I have set up normal cable networks before at home and have done a quick Google on it to no avail! I have ordered a Netger WGT634UK for the home ready, but this is just if we are at work and wanna have a quick go. ...

not run in my laptop
How I Install python for 64 bit ...

Laptop Lottery
www.urhookup.com is sponsoring a Laptop Lottery. One winner will walk away with a new Sony Vaio K14 Laptop. Check out the site for details. Officially starts Aug 1st, but selling tickets effective now. Each ticket is $1.00 - No limit on how many. Drawing held at Rgate Lutherin Church by Pastor Bradley & the winner (if not present) will be notified that afternoon. UrHookUp.com, Inc. "Come Get Hooked Up!" www.urhookup.com ...

Laptop-to-laptop Ethernet connection
Sometimes I take train with my spouse. I have a Linux laptop and a Sierra 597E "wireless broadband" card. This card works great with Linux, its maker Sierra contributes to the Linux kernel, and I basically have a well working internet while on train. The question concerns the second laptop -- my wife's. What I would like is to connect it to my laptop via Ethernet, and have her laptop use my laptop as a "gateway". My question is, can I directly connect them. I think that some pairs in Ethernet cable are somehow twisted, making a direct connection from computer to co...

Web resources about - Laptop running slow - comp.laptops

Running - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the type of locomotion in humans. For running in horses, see Horse gait . For locomotion in dogs, see Gait (dog) . For ...

Inside Running: Trainers unhappy with Geelong Racing Club after track switch - HeraldSun Search Search ...
TRAINERS weren’t happy with the decision by the Geelong Racing Club on Sunday morning to switch Monday’s trials from the Geelong track to the ...

Endless running meets football and hockey in these new Blocky games
... (pictured above), Blocky Football takes the basics of a well-known sport and combines them with the fast-paced action of endless running gaming. ...

DOD running short of smart bombs in ISIS campaign
... smart bombs have been dropped during the roughly 9,000 missions flown by US Air Force and Navy aircraft that the Department of Defense is running ...

Excellent Read: “Hillary… Running While Female”
... Eight years later, she was energetic, brassy, and seemed to show she’s learning something about navigating the choppy waters of running for ...

Donald Trump Is Running as a Conservative Republican
... presumably in a business-like manner. I recite the main points of Trump’s brief remarks to highlight the fact that on the issues he is running ...

Elijah Cummings Will Not Be Running For Senate In Maryland
In the last couple of days Republicans Reid Ribble or Wisconsin and Stephen Fincher of Tennessee have announced they won't be running for reelection. ...

Time is running out for Europe and the US to agree a new 'Safe Harbor' scheme to transfer private consumer ...
Time is running out for negotiators working on a new transatlantic data transfer scheme between the European Union and the US ahead of a Tuesday ...

Time running out for lottery winner to claim huge prize
California authorities warn of deadline coming up for what could be largest unclaimed prize in state history

This Ketchup Ad With Running Wiener Dogs Is the Most Majestic Thing You'll See All Day
Sure, this is a commercial for condiments but let's face it, we're only watching for the puppies. Maybe it's wrong to dress dogs up as food ...