Laptop running slow

I have a IBM thinkpad 560X laptop w/o CD-ROM drive. The laptop runs very
slowly, I feel there is a virus. I have a Norton antivirus installed, but
still I feel there is a virus. Moreover, my screen has these patches which
are visible once the computer is switched on. I didn't hv this problem b4,
but now when I surf the net, it takes extremely long time to get to any
website. It's terrible.

Can anyone out there help me with this problem, I would really appreciate
it. Thanks.

Sunny

0
sunny
7/17/2003 2:12:23 AM
comp.laptops 2877 articles. 5 followers. bluewatercorvette (11) is leader. Post Follow

sounds like you have spy software running.
These are not detected as virus.
get SpySweeper, it is a cleanner.
good luck,

--
http://sava7.hotfire.net
Dennis Savatski
"sunny" <sunnyp@ouhk.hknet.com> wrote in message
> I have a IBM thinkpad 560X laptop w/o CD-ROM drive. The laptop runs very
> slowly, I feel there is a virus. I have a Norton antivirus installed, but
> still I feel there is a virus. Moreover, my screen has these patches which
> are visible once the computer is switched on. I didn't hv this problem b4,
> but now when I surf the net, it takes extremely long time to get to any
> website. It's terrible.
>
> Can anyone out there help me with this problem, I would really appreciate
> it. Thanks.
>
> Sunny

0
Dennis
7/17/2003 4:35:19 PM
"Dennis Savatski" <sava7@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<bfARa.82219$N7.10660@sccrnsc03>...
> sounds like you have spy software running.
> These are not detected as virus.
> get SpySweeper, it is a cleanner.
> good luck,

Keep in mind you're running a 200~233 MHz processor with 32~96MB RAM,
and have at least one active program running in the background. I have
a 560x also; nice little laptop but not a powerhouse.

Update your antivirus program and check your computer thoroughly. Run
a spyware checker immediately after.  If that doesn't help -

Disable any programs running in the background.  Make sure you have
enough disk space free.  Then disable your antivirus and surf a couple
of "safe" sites to see if that speeds things up.
0
alordofchaos

Maple slow's down the computation when the stored amont of data grows in the memory !!!
Can someone please explain me why is that and how to speed up my computatio= ns. I tried successively to store the data in external files and call it back w= hen is needed, but there is still large amount of the data stored and updat= ed in the memory. It will be really painful to store it in files since I ca= ll it frequently. I think it's related to the GARBAGE COLLECTION but I am n= ot sure. On 11.08.2012 18:04, gpekov@gmail.com wrote: > Can someone please explain me why is that and how to speed up my computations. > I tried successively to store the data in external fil...

Wireless solution for wife's laptop?
I currently have a G4 which is connected to the Internet via the hub in a hardware firewall to whih our DSL modem is connected (I have one of the new G5's on order). My wife has a Fujitsu laptop & right now when she surfs on it, she strings out a 100' Ethernet cable to the firewall hub. She asked me to see about getting her a wireless connection. Her laptop comes with wireless support (802.11b/g) & is running Windows XP. I'm trying to figure out what my best option is to accomplish her request (not necessarily the cheaptest option if a some what more costl...

Problems running Enterprise Manager and Service Manager
On one of our machines, all of the SQL Server 2000 components except for the main Server component (SQL Server core) itself were installed (Management tools, etc) a while ago and everything was running fine. Now I go and add/install the Server component and then Service Pack 3a. It seems that Service Manager won't start up (I get an hourglass cursor) and now I find that Enterprise Manager won't run as well. No error messages appeared and I don't think I saw anything unusual in the log file. However, I can use Enterprise Manager on a different machine and connect to the database (...

Does !Speak Run ok with Beagleboard
Hi Does the 32Bit version 2.18 19 Feb 2003 by Jonathan Duddington run ok with the Beagleboard? Or the PD version. Thanks -- Colin Ferris Cornwall UK In message <240ec2d651.cferris@cferris.freeuk.com> cferris@freeRemoveuk.com.invalid wrote: > Hi > Does the 32Bit version 2.18 19 Feb 2003 by Jonathan Duddington run ok > with the Beagleboard? > Or the PD version. > Thanks Hi I have !eSpeak 3.40 (Dec2008) running ok on the Beagleboard though I have exceptions set to off for !MessengerPro. There are some slightly inconsistencies with text not clear now and ...

stylish laptops going cheap
http://new-cheap-laptops.blogspot.com http://new-cheap-laptop.blogspot.com ...

Different results from stored Proc when run from different programs.
Hi Everyone, I'm in the middle of debugging a VB app that calls a stored proc. The stored Proc checks tables and under certain conditions copies records to another table. Depending on where I run the stored Proc from I get a different number of records copied. VB - 0 records Copied. Toad - 6 records copied. SQL navigator - 0 records copied. SQL Worksheet 6 records copied. I've checked the data and the code and the correct answer is 6. Anyone have any ideas why this would happen? Steve. Steven Howes wrote: > Hi Everyone, I'm in the middle of debugging a VB...

Weird run times
Hallo allemaal, I programmed my own 6502 assembler. It runs fine but I encountered a weird phenomene: one moment it takes 4 seconds to run, the other moment about 20. With another ASM file I got figures like 4 and 35. The program runs in a DOS box under Windows XP SP2. P4 3GHz, 1 GB of RAM. I am just curious to know what can be the reason, is it XP or is a possible programming error (the way I use the memory) to blame? AFAIK I didn't encounter this phenomene under NT4. Thanks for any info, ideas or whatever! -- ___ / __|__ / / |_/ Groetjes, Ruud ...

clock running fast
Clock runs fast proportionally to load (it appears). I'm running Fedora Core 4 2.6.12 kernel on ASUS A8N-E motherboard with AMD x2 3800. I've tried noapic,noacpi,and no_timer_check. None seem to work. Running matlab simulations I can gain ~3weeks over a weekend and that just won't work. Any help? Chris Hulbert wrote: > Clock runs fast proportionally to load (it appears). I'm running Fedora > Core 4 2.6.12 kernel on ASUS A8N-E motherboard with AMD x2 3800. I've > tried noapic,noacpi,and no_timer_check. None seem to work. Running > matlab simulations I can gain ...

Computers and Laptops #2
Get information about comupters,laptops and softwares for more info (http://in-computersandlaptops.blogspot.com) ...

Can you change the default settings for XST when running platgen?
Hi All, I have a design based around a PPC. The problem I have is that I would like to change the default setting for XST when running platgen. Platgen will generate a default synthesis project file which in my case I would like to change. To be specific I don't want XST to use SRL rather I would like to have Flip-Flops instead. In this way I assume that it will mitigate timing, it can place the Flip-Flops apart rather than "having them" all in one component (SRL). Is it possible to change the default? Has any body come across a similar problem? Regards, /RN ...

laptop recomendation...
Please recomend me laptop , 800$ price range( after rebate...)15 " display.. "DRAN" <batazare@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:IGldc.1263$l75.633@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net... > Please recomend me laptop , 800$ price range( after rebate...)15 " display.. > HP Pavilion ze4000 series Regards Lucar ...

Running ACE in a .NET executable.
Hello, Would anyone have any insight into running the ACE environment from a ..NET executable, say a VB front end? Is there anyway to prevent ace_main from taking over the entry point my code? Any insight would be wonderful, Chris ...

annoying clicking sound on laptop
My friend recently got a new laptop, Gateway laptop with AMD 64 turion processor, not sure which hard drive. There is this annoying clicking sound coming from the laptop. Here are some attributes of the sound: 1) It seems to be the same sound as the "Windows Explorer navigation" sound that you can set in sounds from the control panel. I did try setting this to "None", but this did not resolve the issue. 2) The sound occurs intermittently even if there is no user on the laptop, if it is just sitting on the counter, you will be able to hear the clicking as if someone ...

Help needed. Running matlab programme from microsoft powerpoint
Hi there. Is it possible to run matlab programmes from Microsoft Powerpoint? I need to run matlab simulations while doing a microsoft powerpoint presentation. Thanks. On Nov 2, 3:58=A0am, "Chan " <minpo...@hotmail.com> wrote: > Hi there. Is it possible to run matlab programmes from Microsoft Powerpoi= nt? I need to run matlab simulations while doing a microsoft powerpoint pre= sentation. Thanks. I am not sure of what you asked. But you can save simulations as movies in MATLAB. You can play them back in MicroSoft Power Point. You would have got some pointer searching for ...

Python Program runs but itself but does not run under IDLE
I am trying to figure out how a complex program written in python works. I am new to python so looking at the source code directly is not helping me much. As such, I am running the program under IDLE so I can step through the code. The program runs fine when it is run by itself. However, when I try to run the program in IDLE, I run into problems were a module cannot be found or is unavailable. To work around this problem I tired to place the location of required modules in the PYTHONPATH envrio variable. This solved some of the import failures but resulted in the following error: Attri...

FAQ 8.1 How do I find out which operating system I'm running under? #2 329537
This message is one of several periodic postings to comp.lang.perl.misc intended to make it easier for perl programmers to find answers to common questions. The core of this message represents an excerpt from the documentation provided with Perl. -------------------------------------------------------------------- 8.1: How do I find out which operating system I'm running under? The $^O variable ($OSNAME if you use English) contains an indication of the name of the operating system (not its release number) that your perl binary was built for. ------------------------------...

Laptop
ntpd seems to require a constant internet connection (although as far as I can see this is never explicitly stated). But what about a computer, which is only occasionally (on average once a day) connected to the internet, and for a few minutes (5 minutes on average)? Can ntpd be used in this case? If yes, what paramters have to be set in ntp.conf? If no, are there any programs available to handle this? In case it is relevant, here some more details: iBook G4 with Mac OS X 10.4.5 ntpd -f /var/run/ntp.drift -p /var/run/ntpd.pid /etc/ntp.conf = "server time.asia.apple.com minpol...

PC reboots when I try to run WoW
PC reboots when I try to run WoW. I get a very brief blue screen with a bunch of error text, but it flashes by too quickly to read. PC also reboots when I run the Direct X 9.0c Direct Draw diagnostics. Other 3D applications (EverQuest) run fine. Windows XP Home AMD Athlon XP 1800+ CPU MSI MS-6380 2.0 Motherboard 512 MB RAM ATI Radeon 9800 PRO 128MB w/latest drivers Soundblaster Audigy soundcard Any ideas? -- John Gordon "Between BST melee, their spells, their warders' melee, gordon@panix.com and their warders' procs, they put out enough damage ...

cracked screen on my laptop Help!
I cracked the screen on my laptop. Aside from getting it fixed is there any way i could hook up my laptop to my pc montitor or tv ? Its an ibm thinkpad a21m any help would be greatly appreciated. thank you Alana Yes, of course you can use an exernal monitor. And the screen is easy to replace, take it out to check the exact model number, then look for an identical screen on Ebay. You can probably do it for under $100 On 09 Sep 2003 02:00:58 GMT, alana74@aol.com (Alana 74) wrote: >I cracked the screen on my laptop. Aside from getting it fixed is there any way >i could hook up my lapto...

Hamilton Beach 6-qt. Slow Cooker
List Price:$24.99 Image: http://bestdeallocator.info/image.php?id=B000JCGUFI Best price found: http://bestdeallocator.info/index.php?id=B000JCGUFI Believing that one could be confident in purchasing a "brand name" product, we recently purchased a Hamilton Beach 33130TC, which is a twin of the Model 33166 in size AND appearance. On the first recent go-round, the slow cooker burnt (!) the roast meat, even though it was set on LOW.THis after 5.5 - 6 hours. On the second occasion, the potatoes immersed with the roast remained raw, with other vegetables undercooked. Th...

SCOs end run ..
'Long after the deadline for disclosing its allegations, SCO sought by=20 indirection to change them. In yet another effort to circumvent the=20 Court?s orders, SCO attempted to reinvent its case through its expert=20 reports' 'In three of its expert reports, SCO alleged the misuse of material=20 nowhere identified in its Final Disclosures' 'Rather than limit Dr. Cargill?s report to the material identified in=20 the Final Disclosures (only 326 lines of code from the Linux kernel),=20 the Cargill report challenged essentially every file in Linux' 'Like the Cargill...

Laptops Seized
In the Business section of today's Los Angeles Times (4 November), there is an article "Laptop seizure raises concerns over firms' data". The subhead is "Travel managers worry about what can hapen to proprietary information at customs". See <http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-biztravel4nov04,1,4005880.story>. (I don't know how long this link will remain valid. If it's 404, do a search at <http://www.latimes.com> on "laptop".) Another reason to use PGP. -- David E. Ross <http://www.rossde.com/> I...

hp zd8000 laptop monitor replacement advice?
Not even 2 years old yet, but I got the infamous green vertical line running down my 17" lcd from top to bottom on my hp zd8000 notebook. From what I've read on the Net, I should expect at least 10 more lines within the next 3 months. 1) Can't I just completely remove this lcd screen so I can buy a separate monitor to use this laptop as a desktop? Or does my current lcd have to stay attached? 2) Other than HP, where can I buy a 17" replacement screen on the Net. I'm having a heck of a time finding one just for my hp zd8000. Thanks for any help or other advice!!!!...

Running [Watir] Tests With the Browser Not Visible
Rubies: Unit tests should run as silent, fast, and unattended as possible. Even sick GUI tests. So the page http://wtr.rubyforge.org/watir_user_guide.html contains this interesting line: 'Run the tests with a "-b" option if you don't want the browser to be visible. ex. myTest.rb -b' Imagine my naivete, typing a -b onto the end of the command line invoking my test batch (using the standard Unit Test stuff under AutoRunner). The browsers still pop up. How to suppress them from within the code? -- Phlip http://www.greencheese.us/ZeekLand <-- NOT a blog!!! ...

Setting time limit for script to run
hi, i need a command in shell which can set the time limit for a script to run. meaning if i need to run a script in loop for two hours how can i do it? Actually for details it is a script to take data from tcpdump and put them into mysql. so i need time factor to set the running time for tcpdump. On 2007-06-18, rahismailbox@gmail.com wrote: > hi, > i need a command in shell which can set the time limit for a script > to run. meaning if i need to run a script in loop for two hours how > can i do it? > Actually for details it is a script to take data from tcpdump and > put...